It works for me!

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
It works for me!

Faith in Jesus works for me - it's exciting.  I love the Bible and believe all of it - though there is mystery.  There is mystery everywhere though, right?  I am a incredibly happy believer in Jesus.  I'm not a theologian, I just believe in Jesus.

I understand you can't make anybody believe in Jesus and the Bible, and I don't personally try to do that.  But I highly recommend it from my experience with it.  I can't get enough of the Bible or Jesus.  I can't imagine trying to navigate through life without it at this point in my life. 

I don't think Jesus or God is a thing you can prove to somebody.  I heard about it a large percentage of my life and it didn't mean anything to me until a certain point - then that all changed. 

So do you guys think that I'm fooling myself, not really happy, you don't believe me, or do you really think I can't be as happy or enlightened as you - are you evangelistic in that sense or what?  What is the purpose of this site?   Do you have something better to offer?  If so, what is your gospel? 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I agree though, selfish

I agree though, selfish pleasure for it's own sake does not bring fulfillment, which is what your verse is about.

However, I have an answer for verse 25: Me.  Smiling

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
SUFFICIENCY VERSUS INSUFFICIENCY

mellestad wrote:

Plenty of people are depressed and unfulfilled even with god.  I think, again, it simplifies the reality of the human experience to assume that only a particular mystical idea can satisfy a person in life.

When I was younger and still in (private, Christian) school, we were taught that every human is born with a hole in their heart that only God could fill.  Every other method of fulling that hole was temporary, shallow and futile.  The problem is when you actually go out and see the world the world shows the great lie of that idea.  Other religions fill that hole as well as any flavor of Christianity.  Other creeds, philosophies and goals can fill it just as well.  The truth is, that hole is simply the human desire for purpose, for meaning.  It is clear to me that a being finds its own meaning out a limitless buffet of potential meanings in life, rather than blindly stumbling around searching for one true meaning.

God is a flippant answer to a complex question that every human eventually asks if they are lucky enough to live long enough.  I know too many religious people who are still drifting in an uncontent sea, and I know too many secular people who are not.  The truth is some people are willing to accept religion as an answer to life's biggest questions, and some like myself see it is insufficient.  To me, God and Christ are like platitudes telling you how to live your life...shallow.

I am aware that people can create a religion around themselves that really does give their lives meaning.  I know many people who have.  But the bad part is most of them incorporate the idea that their way is the only way, even though their ideas are mutually exclusive.  There is a lot of ego in most theism.  Even the theists who think they are a piece of poo that God wants to send to hell usually think they are geniuses who have deciphered the true meaning of the universe.

I wonder if most traditional religions can exist after people let go of their ego and realize they are not brilliant philosophers with specific insight into the nature of reality, and that an all powerful being might not actually care, specifically, about what they do?

Of course, you aren't left with much if you give that up.  And I know, I know.  You are not full of ego, Christianity teaches you to be humble.  There is a special kind of arrogance in piety Smiling

Mellestad,

It could be instead that the way to real life is too simple for man's ego to accept.  Faith in the living Christ is easily misunderstood for "religion".  "Religion" is nothing but taking the gospel and trying to make it an updated version of the old law.  That is a dismal trip indeed. 

Whereas "justification by faith in Jesus Christ" is a living spiritual connection with the living Christ accompanied by the work of the Holy Spirit.  It is a spiritual relationship to be received by a prepared people - a "new creation" where man has been restored in Christ to the state of the image of God, alive in Christ, born again, all thing made new. 

The life of faith starts small, like the small seed, and - it's vulnerable.  But as it grows and is weeded it becomes strong and the heart knows the voice of the Shepherd and the principle of faith not only breaks through the doubts and weaknesses of the old life and takes the ground of full assurance, but also is a governor on ego because righteousness by faith is always a gift.  Pride is a threat to the relationship with God in Christ and fought as the enemy it is. 

You mention religious people who are drifting and secular people who seem anchored.  Instead we preach Christ as the focus, the Lamb of God.  If you look at Him as He is you won't find any flaw in Him.  There's no flaw in the Sacrifice.  If you look at people there are different levels of maturity, but all are flawed to some degree. 

To focus on some form of religious ceremony or work as salvation is not much different than making a god out of science from the Scripture viewpoint.  That's as mistaken as trying to paint a dirty post with hard paint and a frozen brush - it doesn't work.  But to focus on the living Christ and have a living connection with Him, the Vine, is to know eternal life now.  It is to have your inner lamp fed with a steady supply of oil and resulting inner light.  The only way to have true peace is to trust in the atoning death of Christ, the Lamb of God.  The only way to be accepted in the marriage feast of God is to accept the Wedding Garment God offers - the Righteousness of God in Christ. 

It is believed with the heart more than understood - however I think there are many things that are that way.  We can believe things that we don't understand - for instance; that the world was spoken into existence in 7 days like Genesis says.  How could we understand that?  But I believe it and know it with my heart.  And this is a point of departure with atheists who don't have faith in the God of the Bible.  I do.  Some characterize that as arrogance - I see it as fact.  I have no doubts about Christ or creation or anything in Scripture being true - not that I understand it all or some of it like the Love of Christ at all.  But it works for me - and it is working.  It's ongoing. 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
only and last post in this forum

I'm not going to quote this message.  What, do you have a selection of platitudes?  One from column A, one from column B, combine with choice from D,E, or F.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:mellestad

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Plenty of people are depressed and unfulfilled even with god.  I think, again, it simplifies the reality of the human experience to assume that only a particular mystical idea can satisfy a person in life.

When I was younger and still in (private, Christian) school, we were taught that every human is born with a hole in their heart that only God could fill.  Every other method of fulling that hole was temporary, shallow and futile.  The problem is when you actually go out and see the world the world shows the great lie of that idea.  Other religions fill that hole as well as any flavor of Christianity.  Other creeds, philosophies and goals can fill it just as well.  The truth is, that hole is simply the human desire for purpose, for meaning.  It is clear to me that a being finds its own meaning out a limitless buffet of potential meanings in life, rather than blindly stumbling around searching for one true meaning.

God is a flippant answer to a complex question that every human eventually asks if they are lucky enough to live long enough.  I know too many religious people who are still drifting in an uncontent sea, and I know too many secular people who are not.  The truth is some people are willing to accept religion as an answer to life's biggest questions, and some like myself see it is insufficient.  To me, God and Christ are like platitudes telling you how to live your life...shallow.

I am aware that people can create a religion around themselves that really does give their lives meaning.  I know many people who have.  But the bad part is most of them incorporate the idea that their way is the only way, even though their ideas are mutually exclusive.  There is a lot of ego in most theism.  Even the theists who think they are a piece of poo that God wants to send to hell usually think they are geniuses who have deciphered the true meaning of the universe.

I wonder if most traditional religions can exist after people let go of their ego and realize they are not brilliant philosophers with specific insight into the nature of reality, and that an all powerful being might not actually care, specifically, about what they do?

Of course, you aren't left with much if you give that up.  And I know, I know.  You are not full of ego, Christianity teaches you to be humble.  There is a special kind of arrogance in piety Smiling

Mellestad,

It could be instead that the way to real life is too simple for man's ego to accept.  Faith in the living Christ is easily misunderstood for "religion".  "Religion" is nothing but taking the gospel and trying to make it an updated version of the old law.  That is a dismal trip indeed. 

Whereas "justification by faith in Jesus Christ" is a living spiritual connection with the living Christ accompanied by the work of the Holy Spirit.  It is a spiritual relationship to be received by a prepared people - a "new creation" where man has been restored in Christ to the state of the image of God, alive in Christ, born again, all thing made new. 

The life of faith starts small, like the small seed, and - it's vulnerable.  But as it grows and is weeded it becomes strong and the heart knows the voice of the Shepherd and the principle of faith not only breaks through the doubts and weaknesses of the old life and takes the ground of full assurance, but also is a governor on ego because righteousness by faith is always a gift.  Pride is a threat to the relationship with God in Christ and fought as the enemy it is. 

You mention religious people who are drifting and secular people who seem anchored.  Instead we preach Christ as the focus, the Lamb of God.  If you look at Him as He is you won't find any flaw in Him.  There's no flaw in the Sacrifice.  If you look at people there are different levels of maturity, but all are flawed to some degree. 

To focus on some form of religious ceremony or work as salvation is not much different than making a god out of science from the Scripture viewpoint.  That's as mistaken as trying to paint a dirty post with hard paint and a frozen brush - it doesn't work.  But to focus on the living Christ and have a living connection with Him, the Vine, is to know eternal life now.  It is to have your inner lamp fed with a steady supply of oil and resulting inner light.  The only way to have true peace is to trust in the atoning death of Christ, the Lamb of God.  The only way to be accepted in the marriage feast of God is to accept the Wedding Garment God offers - the Righteousness of God in Christ. 

It is believed with the heart more than understood - however I think there are many things that are that way.  We can believe things that we don't understand - for instance; that the world was spoken into existence in 7 days like Genesis says.  How could we understand that?  But I believe it and know it with my heart.  And this is a point of departure with atheists who don't have faith in the God of the Bible.  I do.  Some characterize that as arrogance - I see it as fact.  I have no doubts about Christ or creation or anything in Scripture being true - not that I understand it all or some of it like the Love of Christ at all.  But it works for me - and it is working.  It's ongoing. 

I hate it when you do that.  We go for a couple messages and you almost start to talk like a normal person, then you flip a switch and it is like I can watch your eyes glaze over and you move from 'conversation' to 'zealot'.  It is like you give up even trying to convince anyone here and just start preaching.  Sad

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROAD RAGE

mellestad wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mellestad,

I hate it when you do that.  We go for a couple messages and you almost start to talk like a normal person, then you flip a switch and it is like I can watch your eyes glaze over and you move from 'conversation' to 'zealot'.  It is like you give up even trying to convince anyone here and just start preaching.  Sad

We don't walk far together because we are on different paths.  If I try to describe to you where you might have left the path you throw up your hands and say, "hey, I'm an atheist here".  The things that a person hates are often great needed things, avoided things, forgotten things.  I'm not trying to irritate you, but there is a fundamental difference between us that does by design.  I'm not asking you to be insincere or dance when I pipe.  I'm not planning to aim for what pleases you at the price of truth with me.  I don't hate it when you do that, why should you? 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
No, it is like listening to

No, it is like listening to a politician.  You know, when they get a tough question and all of a sudden the only things that comes out of their mouths are mealy mouth buzzwords and sound bites?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:mellestad

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mellestad,

We don't walk far together because we are on different paths.  If I try to describe to you where you might have left the path you throw up your hands and say, "hey, I'm an atheist here".  The things that a person hates are often great needed things, avoided things, forgotten things.  I'm not trying to irritate you, but there is a fundamental difference between us that does by design.  I'm not asking you to be insincere or dance when I pipe.  I'm not planning to aim for what pleases you at the price of truth with me.  I don't hate it when you do that, why should you? 

The same can be said (and has been said) of you. When you engage in blatant mischaracterizations ( "Science is your God" ) or baseless assertions ( "you just can't be happy without my God" ) and get called on them, you go into this projection/martyr complex stuff ( "I'm trying to tell you where you got off my right and true path but you atheists just don't listen" )

We know why your path works for you and some have told you why it hasn't worked for them. Usually, you just tell those people that they're doing it wrong without telling them how to do it right. This leaves people with the view that you are holding yourself up as the shining beacon of how to life for Jesus.

You have said this is not your intent but you keep doing it. Would you like to correct this error?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
AND THE WINNER IS --------------- JCGADFLY IN 3 - D

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mellestad,

The same can be said (and has been said) of you. When you engage in blatant mischaracterizations ( "Science is your God" ) or baseless assertions ( "you just can't be happy without my God" ) and get called on them, you go into this projection/martyr complex stuff ( "I'm trying to tell you where you got off my right and true path but you atheists just don't listen" )

We know why your path works for you and some have told you why it hasn't worked for them. Usually, you just tell those people that they're doing it wrong without telling them how to do it right. This leaves people with the view that you are holding yourself up as the shining beacon of how to life for Jesus.

You have said this is not your intent but you keep doing it. Would you like to correct this error?

JcGadfly,

Good example of rolling the projector and projecting all the things you are doing on me.  Too late for this year's oscars.  I'll give you credit for "I think I can dance" but as far as substance answers - you're dancing on air.  I'll give you a chance to correct this error:

What is your hope beyond death?  (here's a follow - up:  If there's nothing beyond death for you why are you wasting time on this forum?)

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond death

Fonzie wrote:
What is your hope beyond death?  (here's a follow - up:  If there's nothing beyond death for you why are you wasting time on this forum?)

My hope beyond death is that my friends and family will remember me fondly, and that I will have left something of value for those who come after me, maybe that some people will even read something that I wrote and remember me. But you probably meant something along the lines of "life after death", which obviously, is an idea most atheist don't believe in. I honestly don't understand your follow-up question or what it has to do with why one would want to discuss the ideas of theism or not. Do you wish to imply that we disregard theism only on the ground that we don't want to burn in hell for eternity? That's pretty shallow.

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:jcgadfly

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mellestad,

JcGadfly,

Good example of rolling the projector and projecting all the things you are doing on me.  Too late for this year's oscars.  I'll give you credit for "I think I can dance" but as far as substance answers - you're dancing on air.  I'll give you a chance to correct this error:

You just accused me of projection? Now that is funny. I and others gave you all the substantive answers you need and deserve. Just because you ignore them does not mean they are not there.

I do not have a hope beyond death. You have a vain one - you have a guess that you picked the right God so you can hang out in his hereafter. But there is no hereafter and you are just stroking yourself.

As for my purpose here and my time on the forum - both are my own. I need not borrow a purpose from mythology that I tweaked to my own self-gratification.

Hey, it is always possible that I might become a Christian again. I am pretty sure I will not see you in Heaven - holy crud - I think I discovered an incentive!

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Fonzie

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Mellestad,

JcGadfly,

You just accused me of projection? Now that is funny. I and others gave you all the substantive answers you need and deserve. Just because you ignore them does not mean they are not there.

I do not have a hope beyond death. You have a vain one - you have a guess that you picked the right God so you can hang out in his hereafter. But there is no hereafter and you are just stroking yourself.

As for my purpose here and my time on the forum - both are my own. I need not borrow a purpose from mythology that I tweaked to my own self-gratification.

Hey, it is always possible that I might become a Christian again. I am pretty sure I will not see you in Heaven - holy crud - I think I discovered an incentive!

JcGacfly,

I've got to hand it to you that was funny.  Hey, if that works for you I'm for it. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad you finally accept

I'm glad you finally accept that you're ignoring the answers I and others have given you. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I'm glad you

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm glad you finally accept that you're ignoring the answers I and others have given you. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

JcGadfly,

You know you always allude to this mysterious time - I think it was some time back when the world was evoluting - that you gave substance as to your position.  If you ever did I have no idea when it was nor what it was.  You're not sure of what you don't know - but if you hear it, it's preaching.  It's a nebulous state you protect vigorously.  

As to your questions I think what you mean by answers is your answers.  When I start giving you answers it's not what you want so of course you mischaracterize that.  Of course you know what you're doing - so I'll quit before I sound like a product of the US ad counsel. 

The admitting thing is good - just misapplied. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:jcgadfly

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

JcGadfly,

You know you always allude to this mysterious time - I think it was some time back when the world was evoluting - that you gave substance as to your position.  If you ever did I have no idea when it was nor what it was.  You're not sure of what you don't know - but if you hear it, it's preaching.  It's a nebulous state you protect vigorously.  

As to your questions I think what you mean by answers is your answers.  When I start giving you answers it's not what you want so of course you mischaracterize that.  Of course you know what you're doing - so I'll quit before I sound like a product of the US ad counsel. 

The admitting thing is good - just misapplied. 

See, you can be concise and to the point when you want to. Can you shoot for truthful now?

Must get easier to lie the more often it's done - that's the only reason I can see why you keep doing it. How is Commandment 9 holding up for you, anyway?

— George Carlin

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Yes, let's

jcgadfly wrote:

Yes, let's look at the nature of truth.

As you say, people should look for the best and most truthful explanation. Shouldn't that explanation give us more information than we had before?

The explanation of "God did it" does neither. In fact, it suppresses information and causes the person accepting that answer to stop looking.

So, what we have is evidence from observable, repeatable testing vs. a magic man who we only know about because of a book written by his sales force thousands of years ago.

Do you believe every sales brochure you read? 

Why would truth necessarily give us more information? In many cases, truth removes erroneous information, or it gives us a wider range of questions... as we realize that our knowledge was limited, and that the scope of possibilities is actually wider.

Why do you think the explanation of God suppresses information and causes people to stop looking? The act of suppressing truth is by nature out of insecurity. There have always been insecure believers and organizations... but that doesn't mean that God does not exist. It merely means that some who claim to follow Him are insecure and afraid, which makes them human.

I might also point out that 'observable, repeatable testing' does not disprove God. The choice is not between science and God. The choice is simply; do we accept what scripture says based upon all the resources at our disposal. 

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Dragoon

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Also Bob, your beliefs do not require that your way is the only way to achieve happiness.

By default, Fonzie *must* believe his way is the only way because a central point of his dogma is that there is only one way to achieve happiness, and it is his way.

Hi Melle,

I think you have a major misunderstanding of Christianity here though. Christ did not come to bring happiness to man, nor is Christ the only way to happiness.

Christianity teaches that Jesus is the Christ/Messiah who brings reconciliation and peace between man and God. From this peace, certainly happiness, contentment and rest may and should come... but these things are not the reason for Christ, nor are they confined to those who follow Christ. Some Christians get a bit confused and try to say that only Christians can be 'happy' or 'good', but this is a misunderstandings of basic Biblical teachings. Hey... just because a person follows Christ doesn't mean they aren't still human!

I don't think your post is germane to the conversation we were having.  My response was within the context of the current back and forth with Fonzie, I was not attempting to make any comments on any general point.

I think it does though Melle. Please let me explain.

What I mean is that one of your foundational premises about Christianity may be false. It may not directly impact the point you were making, but it likely affects the whole structure of your reasoning... which leads to the point you were making.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:Dragoon

RatDog wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

Some interesting thoughts there, but they're predicated on an assumption though... that some physical manifestations are indicative of what love is itself; that love is nothing more than chemical. A better question may be, what is love? 

I know this is not addressed to me, but I Would argue that love is love regardless of what give rise to it.  A love that comes about from the firing of neurons, and chemical reactions is love.  A love that comes about from some kind of supernatural agency is love.  A love that comes about from microscopic communities of dancing pixies is love.  Love is an experience, and the experience is unchanged regardless of it's ultimate cause. 

Hi Ratdog,

Please do feel free to join in Eye-wink

I think the problem is, that what scripture defines as love differs greatly from (the often completely undefined) what people in general mean when they say 'love'.

Take enemies for example. Christ says that we are to "love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us" (Mt 5:44). He expounds on this and says that anyone can love their friends or brothers, but that by loving our enemies we are being 'perfect, as our heavenly Father is perfect' (Mt 5:46-48).

The love which God is commanding is not just a feeling of affection, and it is at odds with the 'love' that we often speak of.

As another example, I often think of the love we have for 'x' ('x' being the person we love the most). We hold that person highest... yet that does not stop us from hurting that person through our action or inaction. I love my wife deeply, but I still do and say things that cause her pain. If the BEST my love can do still fails with the person I love the most.... then why do I feel qualified to tell God that His love is flawed?

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Dragoon

BobSpence1 wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

Some interesting thoughts there, but they're predicated on an assumption though... that some physical manifestations are indicative of what love is itself; that love is nothing more than chemical. A better question may be, what is love?

Returning to the core issue though, even IF love is currently not addressed by science, does that make it mere speculation?

Bob, you comment that "the ongoing hope of Science is to progressively gain ever more accurate knowledge and insight into ever more aspects of "Life, the Universe, and Everything". Other than being a nice aside into the Hitchhikers Guide, if this is true, then isn't the question of God (whether such an entity exists, and what 'God' may be) rather central to it? I would also argue that there is no such thing as 'mere' speculation. Some of the greatest advances in science began with speculation. Take for example the question of mice and men...

Poor reasoning and comprehension there.

The assumptions are only that 'love' will probably be manifested in some way by observable aspects of behaviour, attitude toward the person who is the 'target' of the feeling, as indicated by such things as speech patterns, 'body language' etc. More intrusive tests such as scans for patterns of brain activity, and comparing them against scans of the same person and others in different emotional states would probably allow more insight into the intensity and other aspects of the particular feeling.

The assumption that science assumes that "love is nothing more than chemical" reveals your profound ignorance of science.

All strong general feelings involve various 'chemicals' which contribute to and enhance the overall emotional state, but they are in turn released by some other events in the brain. It would be a very crude misunderstanding for anyone to say that any 'chemical' IS the emotion it is associated with.

"Love" is a particular emotional state, normally involving a set of feelings toward another individual. Is that acceptable to you? "Love" can be studied by science, as can any other overtly expressed feelings. Brain scanning may even give a hint about suppressed feelings, as could carefully designed interview techniques. How would you 'know' someone was in love?

Anything manifest in the Universe can be studied. God as an idea, a belief, is studied. If and when there is indication that God actually manifests as a reality outside the minds of the believers, then it can be taken into account. SInce there is no real indication of anything which can be unambiguously understood as such, there is no need to treat it as some form of physical reality. 

The absence of such physical effects and manifestations in the increasingly detailed study of :Life, the Universe, and Everything" for something that, if it existed and was as fundamentally powerful and important as believers claim, is a pretty good justification for not taking the idea seriously.

All scientific theories begin with speculation, which leads to hypotheses, which suggests what and where to look for evidence to confirm or refute the ideas, but millennia of ultimately fruitless speculation about God has nod lead to any actual knowledge yet about the nature or reality of God. Without some actual empirical supporting evidence, no idea about reality deserves to be treated as more than speculation.

Meanwhile the importance of religion in culture and personal psychology is fully recognised and studied.

I am ignorant of many things, and this will always be true. There's a lot to learn and always will be Eye-wink

Are you missing the central point though?

You're assuming that because science has not been able to provide empirical evidence for God, that God must be mere speculation.

The context of my comments about love, were that things which are not scientifically proven may both still exist, and be of great import.

In regards to study of 'religion in culture and personal psychology' (and I would add other subjects as well, such as a two parent families, rest and forgiveness), perhaps God knew that these were 'blessings' of faith and obedience, even outside of eternal salvation. In the end though, these things study manifestations of the thing, but do little to answer what or who God is... because that question cannot be answered by empirical testing.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: The idea

BobSpence1 wrote:

The idea that we cannot 'prove' that God does not exist is so lame, implying that unless we can, we are not justified in dismissing it, it is not worthy of further comment. Russell's teapot, anyone?

The question of what kind of God might exist, if he does.

Since there is absolutely no way anyone could determine with certainty anything about the nature and motives and mind of such a being so vastly beyond the cope and scale of our own minds, any assumptions or beliefs about such an entity , how we should regard It, etc, are purest speculation, and can only be left to personal decision, as you say in your final comment. It could have 'setup' the whole Bible scenario, crucifixion, whatever, as a 'show' for whatever unfathomable purpose It wanted, maybe to see how we reacted, how our history developed, with no intention of following thru on any promises he inserted into the minds of his 'followers'.

Such a creature would be infinitely capable of convincing us of anything, for 'Good' or 'Evil'.

The fact that we have been able to discover so much about LtU&E, which holds together in an ongoing consistent way, strongly suggest that there is no such entity intervening to any significant degree.

Obviously... but the idea that rejection of the idea of God is thus the both scientific and the most rational is similarly lame.

We reject the search/question of God because we have chosen to. I would argue that you haven't given up that question though, because you are still here writing.

You're making some assumptions about God though in your last sentence. If 'such a creature' would be capable of anything, perhaps the fact that His interventions are not empirically verifiable says something.

I say this because part of scripture is that God HAS chosen to intervene in significant ways. Parting the Red Sea, plagues upon Pharoah, and perhaps most of all the crucifixion and resurrection of a 'miracle worker' named Yeshua are all examples of that. Such things would have been verifiable by those who were present obviously, but the claims of the Bible do not give us anything by which we can say, "I believe in God because of this thing which all people will also recognize as irrefutable."

This infinitely capable entity seems to require that at some point, we step out onto the water and simply trust in Him.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:It is not a

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is not a war. It is a struggle in search of truth.

Absolutely. I'm not really interested in 'convincing' anyone of God's existence. That just breeds pride, because if God truly exists, then its really Him doing the work.

My greatest desire is that people search for truth, and are willing to comply with the ramifications of their search... even and especially if it contradicts what they desire. 

To Truth.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:mellestad

Dragoon wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Also Bob, your beliefs do not require that your way is the only way to achieve happiness.

By default, Fonzie *must* believe his way is the only way because a central point of his dogma is that there is only one way to achieve happiness, and it is his way.

Hi Melle,

I think you have a major misunderstanding of Christianity here though. Christ did not come to bring happiness to man, nor is Christ the only way to happiness.

Christianity teaches that Jesus is the Christ/Messiah who brings reconciliation and peace between man and God. From this peace, certainly happiness, contentment and rest may and should come... but these things are not the reason for Christ, nor are they confined to those who follow Christ. Some Christians get a bit confused and try to say that only Christians can be 'happy' or 'good', but this is a misunderstandings of basic Biblical teachings. Hey... just because a person follows Christ doesn't mean they aren't still human!

I don't think your post is germane to the conversation we were having.  My response was within the context of the current back and forth with Fonzie, I was not attempting to make any comments on any general point.

What I mean is that one of your foundational premises about Christianity may be false. It may not directly impact the point you were making, but it likely affects the whole structure of your reasoning... which leads to the point you were making.

I still think it is not germane.  I was not talking about foundational premises of Christianity, I was talking about Fonzie.  Where did I lay any argument about generic Christianity?  I said, "His dogma" not "Christian dogma".

Although I do think that the point could be applied to many Christians.  It was certainly something I was taught to believe!  "God" was true happiness, love and goodness, and the only way to god was through Jesus.  Seems clear enough to me, I never heard anyone make it more complicated than that.  Anyone who did not fill their soul with the Christian version of god was incomplete, and longed for Christ by default.

Now if *you* don't agree with that statement, good for you, but I don't really care because your views were not what we were discussing.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Dragoon

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Hi Melle,

I still think it is not germane.  I was not talking about foundational premises of Christianity, I was talking about Fonzie.  Where did I lay any argument about generic Christianity?  I said, "His dogma" not "Christian dogma".

Although I do think that the point could be applied to many Christians.  It was certainly something I was taught to believe!  "God" was true happiness, love and goodness, and the only way to god was through Jesus.  Seems clear enough to me, I never heard anyone make it more complicated than that.  Anyone who did not fill their soul with the Christian version of god was incomplete, and longed for Christ by default.

Now if *you* don't agree with that statement, good for you, but I don't really care because your views were not what we were discussing.

If a Christian is arguing against a specific principle of athiesm, and in the process makes a claim about atheism that is utterly contradictory to the princples of atheism, they are going to be called to task for it, as well they should be. No one should argue against something they don't understand. That is just arrogance. Maybe you just didn't realize you had a misunderstanding in which case it wasn't your fault. If you were taught that principle at some church, so be it. Many churches don't teach sound bible-doctrine. But still, when you are corrected, don't get all mad at the one correcting you. He is just trying to inform you that you are a arguing against a strawman.

The idea that goal of Christianity is happiness, is a strawman.

Christianity (as Dragoon said) is about reconciliation, which can certainly be a source of happiness, but happiness is merely a byproduct, and not the actual goal.

If you really believe the goal of Christiainity is to achieve happiness through Jesus Christ, I would bet every argument you make against Christainity will be invalid with that presupposition.

Whether that was the main point of your comment or not, it's worth discussing, unless you have some reason not to discuss it.

If it's merely a matter of not wanting to derail this thread, then by all means start a new one.

"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1Cor 1:18

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Are you guys even reading

Are you guys even reading what I wrote?  Do I need to use bold text?  I'll try it.

I never said anything about Christian belief, I was discussing Fonzie's debate with Bob and the way his responses seemed to show a specific way of thinking.

Did that help?  Come on guys.  I'm not mad, how is, "your point is not germane" equal to being angry?  I am getting frustrated though, so:

rant/

Honestly, no, I don't care about your specific interpretation of a single theistic issue outside the context of this discussion.  You think my childhood church and school taught incorrect Biblical doctrine,well bully for you.  Churches and theists have very disparate views on many issues.  You can start a new thread if you want but honestly my answer is going to be, "So what?".  If you feel the need you can debate with other theists about whether or not they are interpreting the Bible in the "True" way (your way) but please leave me out of it.

However, I will say, now, that many Christians will explicitly state this and I would argue that from a psychological perspective that it is a significant portion of the modern theistic perspective.  And if you think those Christians are wrong, well, again I don't particularly care whether or not you agree with them.  I don't have a stake in any particular denomination of Christianity, as I think they are all incorrect.

If you can show me where I claimed that a central point of generic Christian doctrine is: "The goal of Christianity is happiness through Jesus" then indeed I would be wrong in making such a general statement and I would be happy to rephrase it to: "The goal of many Christians is happiness through Jesus".  So, did I say that?

This comes back to the same problem when debating theists: It is easy to get sucked in to the details of a given theists belief, because they usually think their own personal or community viewpoint on theism is the only true, "Truth" and you can't listen to what all of those 'other' people think, because they don't *really* know what they are talking about. 

If I talk to, say 200 theists online in a given year there are probably 300 different mutually contradictory points of dogma brought up and they all say they are right because the Bible says so.  Which is why I don't care unless it comes to specific social issues I *do* care about.

/rant

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote: I might also

Dragoon wrote:
I might also point out that 'observable, repeatable testing' does not disprove God. The choice is not between science and God. The choice is simply; do we accept what scripture says based upon all the resources at our disposal. 

From a more skeptical perspective, the question has to do with whether or not the available evidence gives us good reason to think that any given biblical claim is likely to be true.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote: You're

Dragoon wrote:
You're assuming that because science has not been able to provide empirical evidence for God, that God must be mere speculation.

I think that the point, though, is that acceptance of a claim is not the default position of a critical thinker.  If we are to think that something is most likely true, we need good reasons to think it.  Without such reasons, the claim is suspended or, if there are good reasons to do so, simply dismissed.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Are you guys

mellestad wrote:

Are you guys even reading what I wrote?  Do I need to use bold text?  I'll try it.

I never said anything about Christian belief, I was discussing Fonzie's debate with Bob and the way his responses seemed to show a specific way of thinking.

Did that help?  Come on guys.  I'm not mad, how is, "your point is not germane" equal to being angry?  I am getting frustrated though, so:

rant/

Honestly, no, I don't care about your specific interpretation of a single theistic issue outside the context of this discussion.  You think my childhood church and school taught incorrect Biblical doctrine,well bully for you.  Churches and theists have very disparate views on many issues.  You can start a new thread if you want but honestly my answer is going to be, "So what?".  If you feel the need you can debate with other theists about whether or not they are interpreting the Bible in the "True" way (your way) but please leave me out of it.

However, I will say, now, that many Christians will explicitly state this and I would argue that from a psychological perspective that it is a significant portion of the modern theistic perspective.  And if you think those Christians are wrong, well, again I don't particularly care whether or not you agree with them.  I don't have a stake in any particular denomination of Christianity, as I think they are all incorrect.

If you can show me where I claimed that a central point of generic Christian doctrine is: "The goal of Christianity is happiness through Jesus" then indeed I would be wrong in making such a general statement and I would be happy to rephrase it to: "The goal of many Christians is happiness through Jesus".  So, did I say that?

This comes back to the same problem when debating theists: It is easy to get sucked in to the details of a given theists belief, because they usually think their own personal or community viewpoint on theism is the only true, "Truth" and you can't listen to what all of those 'other' people think, because they don't *really* know what they are talking about. 

If I talk to, say 200 theists online in a given year there are probably 300 different mutually contradictory points of dogma brought up and they all say they are right because the Bible says so.  Which is why I don't care unless it comes to specific social issues I *do* care about.

/rant

Sorry for the misunderstanding then. If you weren't saying that about Christianity, but about one person's beliefs, then maybe you were right.

However.....

Any Christian who believes that the goal of Christianity and/or salvation is happiness is not a Christian at all, and is not saved. They don't understand the gospel, and if you don't understand the gospel, you can't believe what you don't understand. And if you don't believe the gospel, you aren't saved.

This is not some trivial doctrine like eschatology that has no major bearing on daily Christian living. This is salvation we are talking about here. There is no more important doctrine in the bible.

If your impression of modern Christians and how they mostly hold to this view is even remotely accurate, then the church is in much worse shape than I thought. In my experience, however, that isn't the case. I've only known a handful of people that thought that way, and they were either very young, or new to Christianity and in either case, knew very little about the bible's teachings.

"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1Cor 1:18

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Are you guys

mellestad wrote:

Are you guys even reading what I wrote?

Are you talking to Dragoon by any chance ?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:Sorry for

Musicdude wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding then. If you weren't saying that about Christianity, but about one person's beliefs, then maybe you were right.

...No true Scotsman eats Haggis without salted eels on the side! 

I'm glad we cleared that up.

I agree with you though, most Christians don't know much about doctrine.  Honestly, most preachers and teachers are not interested in actually teaching about why people should believe what they are told to believe.  Church would be very different if that were the case.  It is sad that most people will say they believe something, but it takes a seminary student to explain *why* they believe what they believe.

Naturally, YMMV.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:mellestad

Anonymouse wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Are you guys even reading what I wrote?

Are you talking to Dragoon by any chance ?

Not unusual huh?

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Musicdude

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

I agree with you though, most Christians don't know much about doctrine.  Honestly, most preachers and teachers are not interested in actually teaching about why people should believe what they are told to believe.  Church would be very different if that were the case.  It is sad that most people will say they believe something, but it takes a seminary student to explain *why* they believe what they believe.

Naturally, YMMV.

I'm really in the mood for some haggis for some reason. Sticking out tongue

I did the same thing for years. But when I decided to find out for myself why I believed what I do, it just made my faith that much more solid.

It started by aruging on Christian forums about doctrine. And I would argue points my pastor had taught me, it it quickly became obvious I seldom had a better answer than "because my pastor said so," which was disheartening. So I decided to dig into the bible myself, and see if the argument I was making really were backed up in the bible. Some of them were. Others weren't. But in doing that research I found that it was much more important to me what the bible said, than what any pastor or Christian said. And I would never take anyones word for anything again, except God's. Some would argue that I'm taking Paul's and John's and even Jesus' word for what really happened way back then. But God has sufficiently proven to me that the bible is not just the words of men, but God's word revealed to those men.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude wrote:mellestad

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

Naturally, YMMV.

I did the same thing for years. But when I decided to find out for myself why I believed what I do, it just made my faith that much more solid.

It started by aruging on Christian forums about doctrine. And I would argue points my pastor had taught me, it it quickly became obvious I seldom had a better answer than "because my pastor said so," which was disheartening. So I decided to dig into the bible myself, and see if the argument I was making really were backed up in the bible. Some of them were. Others weren't. But in doing that research I found that it was much more important to me what the bible said, than what any pastor or Christian said. And I would never take anyones word for anything again, except God's. Some would argue that I'm taking Paul's and John's and even Jesus' word for what really happened way back then. But God has sufficiently proven to me that the bible is not just the words of men, but God's word revealed to those men.

I did the same thing, except instead of "because my pastor said so" it was "because the Bible said so".  Same process, just one step further.  Smiling

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Musicdude

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

Naturally, YMMV.

I did the same thing, except instead of "because my pastor said so" it was "because the Bible said so".  Same process, just one step further.  Smiling

It's not just the bible for me. It's my life. My personal experience may not prove God to anyone else, but it certainly proves Him to me.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

Naturally, YMMV.

It's not just the bible for me. It's my life. My personal experience may not prove God to anyone else, but it certainly proves Him to me.

You are basically saying the same as Fonzie - 'It works for you!". 

Which of course in no way proves that God exists as anything beyond a mental construct, a set of 'memes'. There is intrinsically and logically no way from such purely personal experience to distinguish between a complex psychological state and the effect of some entity that might exist in some external sense, especially from 'inside'.

But of course the conviction that God 'really' does exist is an essential part of the mental state, without which it would not work, so once in this state, you can't really even admit the possibility that he might not exist, or, as Daniel Dennett puts it, you will 'break the spell'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

Naturally, YMMV.

And it's uncanny how God only proves himself in your positive life experiences, isn't it?

— George Carlin

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Musicdude wrote:

Naturally, YMMV.

Just like it proves Elvis, big foot, aliens, Allah, Joseph Smith, ghosts and everything else other people believe in.

But we've been over that before, so you don't need to try and show why your personal opininion is more accurate than a Muslim's.

Musicdude
Theist
Musicdude's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Just like it

mellestad wrote:

Just like it proves Elvis, big foot, aliens, Allah, Joseph Smith, ghosts and everything else other people believe in.

My personal experience proves all that? Hardly.

Quote:
But we've been over that before, so you don't need to try and show why your personal opininion is more accurate than a Muslim's.

I didn't say it to convince anyone of anything. I just said it because it's the truth.

You know I read Revelation yesterday, and if you want proof, all I can say is it's coming. But according to prophecy, most people still won't believe. But some will. I hope for your sake, you're one of the few who do.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

Musicdude wrote:

mellestad wrote:

My personal experience proves all that? Hardly.

Quote:

I didn't say it to convince anyone of anything. I just said it because it's the truth.

You know I read Revelation yesterday, and if you want proof, all I can say is it's coming. But according to prophecy, most people still won't believe. But some will. I hope for your sake, you're one of the few who do.

Obviously I mean other people use their personal experience to 'prove' those things, just like your personal experience 'proves' your own magical ideas.

Ok.  Tell me what proof and in what time frame.  If we agree on terms, I'll promise to become a theist if your proof happens, and you can promise to become an atheist if it doesn't.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Musicdude, you were joking

Musicdude, you were joking there, weren't you?

All that was being said that all those individual beliefs are in the category of being held by various individuals based purely on personal experience or conviction, in the absence of objective evidence, as is your particular bunch of crap.

I didn't fully realize just how absurd the Bible could be until I read Revelation.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:You are

BobSpence1 wrote:

Which of course in no way proves that God exists as anything beyond a mental construct, a set of 'memes'. There is intrinsically and logically no way from such purely personal experience to distinguish between a complex psychological state and the effect of some entity that might exist in some external sense, especially from 'inside'.

But of course the conviction that God 'really' does exist is an essential part of the mental state, without which it would not work, so once in this state, you can't really even admit the possibility that he might not exist, or, as Daniel Dennett puts it, you will 'break the spell'.

BobSpence1,

I've admitted it's not possible for me to ignite faith or supply oil to the light in you Bob - I wish it was.  You have a lot of company sharing in your unbelief of Jesus, His atoning death, and Scripture - the Living Word,  but that doesn't represent a feather's (avoirdupois) weight against Whom I know I have believed, and live abundantly in.  Your company unknowingly actually support my Textbook cover to cover.  (You're covered as well)  

Obviously you've had some time since I ask you what your scientific answer to death was.  What are your results from that experiment?  Did you report or did I miss class that day?  I'm sure you have all that figured out since you're under no "spells", have an understanding of logic, mental construct, sets, states, and senses.  Rein this in for me - the simple - too stupid to be a man, without understanding.  Show me where you are going and why I should follow - you having ascended to heaven and come down,  gathering it all in your fist.  The doctor is in, let class begin...... 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Still hung up on the fear of

Still hung up on the fear of death, eh Fonzie?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:BobSpence1

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1,

I've admitted it's not possible for me to ignite faith or supply oil to the light in you Bob - I wish it was.  You have a lot of company sharing in your unbelief of Jesus, His atoning death, and Scripture - the Living Word,  but that doesn't represent a feather's (avoirdupois) weight against Whom I know I have believed, and live abundantly in.  Your company unknowingly actually support my Textbook cover to cover.  (You're covered as well)  

Obviously you've had some time since I ask you what your scientific answer to death was.  What are your results from that experiment?  Did you report or did I miss class that day?  I'm sure you have all that figured out since you're under no "spells", have an understanding of logic, mental construct, sets, states, and senses.  Rein this in for me - the simple - too stupid to be a man, without understanding.  Show me where you are going and why I should follow - you having ascended to heaven and come down,  gathering it all in your fist.  The doctor is in, let class begin...... 

Is this some sort of trick question?  What is there to explain about death?  Are you asking for details about the actual process?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Fonzie

mellestad wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1,

Is this some sort of trick question?  What is there to explain about death?  Are you asking for details about the actual process?

No, he claims to have a hope beyond death which we lack. What he really has is a lack of understanding about death brought on by his fear of it.

— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scientific 'answer' to

Scientific 'answer' to death?

Our brain/mind stops functioning, along with the rest of our body, and our consciousness fades into the nothing it came from during our growth in our mother's womb and after.

As the philosopher Bertrand Russell said:

Quote:

I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting. Many a man has borne himself proudly on the scaffold; surely the same pride should teach us to think truly about man's place in the world. Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cosy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigour, and the great spaces have a splendour of their own.

What 'experiment' did you have in mind??

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE ULTIMATE EXPERIMENT - WASHING IN BLOOD OF THE LAMB

BobSpence1 wrote:

Our brain/mind stops functioning, along with the rest of our body, and our consciousness fades into the nothing it came from during our growth in our mother's womb and after.

Quote:

I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my ego will survive. I am not young and I love life. But I should scorn to shiver with terror at the thought of annihilation. Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting. Many a man has borne himself proudly on the scaffold; surely the same pride should teach us to think truly about man's place in the world. Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cosy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigour, and the great spaces have a splendour of their own.

BobSpence1,

That's about as far as science can go with death - it's not something you get much practice at, so the scientific method doesn't bring back any reports about what's beyond it.  It's a fate we will all share, this we know.  The train is rolling down the track, the clock is ticking - I've been alive over 2 3/4 billion seconds, and they are ticking on and becoming less and less a percentage of my whole life. 

Then there's the philosopher who suggests - though he has no hope or answer - let a smile be your umbrella.  Carry your hopeless pride to the grave, don't let them see you sweat - bear yourself proudly on the scaffold so others will be emboldened to die without hope, without answer, keep the lie alive.  Though you are afraid, show no fear proud man.  Think about how real it has been proved by its unreal end.

For many of those 2 billion + seconds I was caught by death, chained by it.  I had an advance payment on it with more to come upon scientific annihilation.  The trap has been broken by Christ and I have escaped.  My spirit soars like a bird.  I am alive in the One Who has tasted Death for every man and Who is the Death of Death for all who have been "born again" in Him.  Death had no claim on Him - our Samson carried the gates, posts and hinges to the top of the hill. 

Death has no sting, no victory for those of us in Christ.  For about 1 1/2 billion seconds now I have been enjoying eternal life, which is knowing Christ alive in me.  I have an earnest of my inheritance now which I don't have to give back, the Gift of the Holy Spirit which I received when "born again" of the water and the Spirit.  My tent is getting a little worn, still portable, waterproof - but my tent is not me.  I am not hiding a lie in my tent with a front of false pride as my seconds tick steadily toward sleep with my fathers - those who shared like faith.  I'm looking forward to that but I'm in the greatest of company and joy now - Christ and the saints. 

I was just reading about the New Jerusalem - the new heaven and new earth (after this one has passed away).  The holy city, the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, prepared like a bride dressed up for her husband.  Everything is new.  There's no temple - the LORD God Almighty and the Lamb are the Temple.  There's no street lights - the Glory of God is the light.  There's no night.  The gates are never shut.  The river of the water of life, clear as crystal flows through the center street with the tree of life on the sides.  Think how you will regret being kept out by boldly carrying a lie to death.  Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, fornicators, murderers, idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood proudly on the scaffold.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Outside are the

Fonzie wrote:
Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, fornicators, murderers, idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood proudly on the scaffold.

"everyone who practices falsehood"....That would include you, I'm afraid.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote: Faith in

Fonzie wrote:

Faith in Jesus works for me - it's exciting.  I love the Bible and believe all of it - though there is mystery.  There is mystery everywhere though, right?  I am a incredibly happy believer in Jesus.  I'm not a theologian, I just believe in Jesus.

I understand you can't make anybody believe in Jesus and the Bible, and I don't personally try to do that.  But I highly recommend it from my experience with it.  I can't get enough of the Bible or Jesus.  I can't imagine trying to navigate through life without it at this point in my life. 

I don't think Jesus or God is a thing you can prove to somebody.  I heard about it a large percentage of my life and it didn't mean anything to me until a certain point - then that all changed. 

So do you guys think that I'm fooling myself, not really happy, you don't believe me, or do you really think I can't be as happy or enlightened as you - are you evangelistic in that sense or what?  What is the purpose of this site?   Do you have something better to offer?  If so, what is your gospel? 

Getting up in the moring, taking a shower, going to work, comming back home, watching a movie, playing a video game, walking my dogs, hanging out with friends etc etc, works for me.

One would have to be pretty weak minded to require an imaginary friend to help them through life.

The only thing a god does is give you answers for questions you can't answer with certainty yourself. Will you look for water or wait for someone to come along and give you an empty glass so you can smile as you tip it up.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I don't get it Fonz.  We

I don't get it Fonz.  We have no data about any kind of afterlife.  Why would we assume that it exists just because the Bible says so?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie, what makes you so

Fonzie, what makes you so sure that Christ is the only way to come to terms with the end of life?? 

I can assure you that that is simply not true, it is just the 'easy' way for the simple-minded - convince yourself you have a place in heaven waiting for you, IOW just deny it really is the end.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It amazes me

Fonzie wrote:

Carry your hopeless pride to the grave, don't let them see you sweat - bear yourself proudly on the scaffold so others will be emboldened to die without hope, without answer, keep the lie alive.  Though you are afraid, show no fear proud man.  Think about how real it has been proved by its unreal end.

For many of those 2 billion + seconds I was caught by death, chained by it.  I had an advance payment on it with more to come upon scientific annihilation.  The trap has been broken by Christ and I have escaped.  My spirit soars like a bird.  I am alive in the One Who has tasted Death for every man and Who is the Death of Death for all who have been "born again" in Him.  Death had no claim on Him - our Samson carried the gates, posts and hinges to the top of the hill. 

Death has no sting, no victory for those of us in Christ.  For about 1 1/2 billion seconds now I have been enjoying eternal life, which is knowing Christ alive in me.  I have an earnest of my inheritance now which I don't have to give back, the Gift of the Holy Spirit which I received when "born again" of the water and the Spirit.  My tent is getting a little worn, still portable, waterproof - but my tent is not me.  I am not hiding a lie in my tent with a front of false pride as my seconds tick steadily toward sleep with my fathers - those who shared like faith.  I'm looking forward to that but I'm in the greatest of company and joy now - Christ and the saints. 

I was just reading about the New Jerusalem - the new heaven and new earth (after this one has passed away).  The holy city, the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, prepared like a bride dressed up for her husband.  Everything is new.  There's no temple - the LORD God Almighty and the Lamb are the Temple.  There's no street lights - the Glory of God is the light.  There's no night.  The gates are never shut.  The river of the water of life, clear as crystal flows through the center street with the tree of life on the sides.  Think how you will regret being kept out by boldly carrying a lie to death.  Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, fornicators, murderers, idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood proudly on the scaffold. 

It amazes me how polite everyone is to you as you point your vile doctrine at us like a tommygun. Fonzie, you can turn your new jerusalem sideways and shove it up your arse. You are going into the ground and the bugs you descended from will snack on what's left of your pea-like brain. I can't imagine they'll get much of a meal.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:BobSpence1

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Quote:

BobSpence1,

That's about as far as science can go with death - it's not something you get much practice at, so the scientific method doesn't bring back any reports about what's beyond it.  It's a fate we will all share, this we know.  The train is rolling down the track, the clock is ticking - I've been alive over 2 3/4 billion seconds, and they are ticking on and becoming less and less a percentage of my whole life. 

Then there's the philosopher who suggests - though he has no hope or answer - let a smile be your umbrella.  Carry your hopeless pride to the grave, don't let them see you sweat - bear yourself proudly on the scaffold so others will be emboldened to die without hope, without answer, keep the lie alive.  Though you are afraid, show no fear proud man.  Think about how real it has been proved by its unreal end.

If death has no sting and the grave has no victory over you - why do you still have the fear of them? Why are you so jealous of those who have no fear without resorting to magic?

I hesitate to ask how you've pulled off "eternal life" for the last 47 years - you might tell me that you've been saved since coming from the womb.

— George Carlin