It works for me!

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
It works for me!

Faith in Jesus works for me - it's exciting.  I love the Bible and believe all of it - though there is mystery.  There is mystery everywhere though, right?  I am a incredibly happy believer in Jesus.  I'm not a theologian, I just believe in Jesus.

I understand you can't make anybody believe in Jesus and the Bible, and I don't personally try to do that.  But I highly recommend it from my experience with it.  I can't get enough of the Bible or Jesus.  I can't imagine trying to navigate through life without it at this point in my life. 

I don't think Jesus or God is a thing you can prove to somebody.  I heard about it a large percentage of my life and it didn't mean anything to me until a certain point - then that all changed. 

So do you guys think that I'm fooling myself, not really happy, you don't believe me, or do you really think I can't be as happy or enlightened as you - are you evangelistic in that sense or what?  What is the purpose of this site?   Do you have something better to offer?  If so, what is your gospel? 

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:ALLAll I've

Fonzie wrote:

ALL

All I've seen on this forum is an attacking vacuum of reason and purpose. 

All that you have presented is empty claims unsupported by reason.

Fonzie wrote:
The skill is mocking and ridicule - but it serves no purpose as far as direction or answers.  There is a spoken joy of emptiness short lived as the crackle of thorns under the pot.  There is a supposed freedom of throwing off the chains of God, the restraints that fools fail to recognize as good.

I don't need your God nonsense in order to live as a decent human being. 

Fonzie wrote:
There is entertainment in heaven over this - it is written these things make God laugh.  So there's entertainment value at least if not salvation. 

Sure, God would like salvation.  How much?  His Son lifted up on His Holy Hill - that much.  But the swine trample pearls and turn on the messenger and in essence the Pearl Maker.  So what we see here is the trampling - which only requires the skill of swine to pearls, but where is the better offer of the swine?  Where is the direction other than the drink?  Where is the communication other than the grunt and squeal?  Where is the shown reformation other than to go back into the mud?

My reformation was in casting off the lies of the Bible and learning to live as a self-responsible human being in harmony with my fellows as well as with my own needs and desires.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:ex-minister

Fonzie wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

The only thing that will satisfy the soul is faith in Jesus Christ.  The only thing that will give the guilty conscience peace through faith seeing Him bleed and die for your sin. 

Sorry that is backwards. You get a guilty conscience from watching Him bleed and die because you think it has something to do with playing with yourself. I didn't make Adam eat an apple nor did I force Christ to commit suicide for me, so why would I feel guilty? If someone tried to commit suicide over me I would call the asylum to come pick them up. They need help.

What made you feel so guilty?

ex-whatever,

What made me guilty was not a feeling but a real sin-wounded conscience.  Thanks be to God the blood of Jesus has healed it.  I am totally at peace yet at work, in fellowship with God through His grace still remembering what it was like to be where you are, on level ground yet watching the road, secure yet on guard for the enemy, working but understanding all glory is Christ's, well fed with manna from heaven and water from the Rock.  

You're part of a group that said Jesus had a demon when He was on the earth.  They either became enlightened or they're lost forever.  Hopefully you will come to be more wise and enlightened.

Frenzie,

That is ex-minister to you ma'am. A real sin-wounded conscience. Good Lord, that sounds really bad. You must have been quite the wild one. I never went there in my youth or hell even now. "Don't worry about temptation because in time it will avoid you."

I was where you are and I am now on level ground, not with my head in the clouds wishing for things that are not there. I wonder if you are able to communicate in other than Bible-speak. I am sure that is safer for you because it masks real communication.

I am not part of any group. I used to be a part of a crazy group. No demons here. They were were exorcised by reality. Hopefully you will wake up from your dream, but I see your are comfortably numb. Whatever gets you through the night.

Hey, but righteous kudos on starting a thread that is like 800 replies long. I would be proud of that.

Ex-Minister,

Sure, what did you want to talk about? 

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?

Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?

Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?

Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?

Then why call him God?”

What are your thoughts on this quote from Epicurus?

How long do you think humans have been around? Are you an young earth creationist? God created the universe about 6000 years ago?

How long have you been a follower of Christ?

Do you belong to a denomination? Which one?

Why do you think God hides himself? Why would He make belief before understanding a requirement when the fate of the eternal soul is at stake?  Do you believe in a lake of fire that will burn for all eternity to contains those who rejected Christ?

Describe the difference between a guilty conscience and a real sin-wounded conscience?

Please respond in non-Bible speak. That would really help.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
VIEWS

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

ALL

All I've seen on this forum is an attacking vacuum of reason and purpose.  The skill is mocking and ridicule - but it serves no purpose as far as direction or answers.  There is a spoken joy of emptiness short lived as the crackle of thorns under the pot.  There is a supposed freedom of throwing off the chains of God, the restraints that fools fail to recognize as good. 

There is entertainment in heaven over this - it is written these things make God laugh.  So there's entertainment value at least if not salvation. 

Sure, God would like salvation.  How much?  His Son lifted up on His Holy Hill - that much.  But the swine trample pearls and turn on the messenger and in essence the Pearl Maker.  So what we see here is the trampling - which only requires the skill of swine to pearls, but where is the better offer of the swine?  Where is the direction other than the drink?  Where is the communication other than the grunt and squeal?  Where is the shown reformation other than to go back into the mud? 

"The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and His anointed, saying, 'Let us burst their bonds asunder, and cast their cords from us.'  He who sits in the heavens laughs; the LORD has them in derision.  Thsn He will speak to them in His wrath, and terrify them in His fury, saying,  'I have set My King on Zion, My Holy Hill'." (God)

You're playing the martyr card?

Did the mean kids here have a discussion with you other than "Of course you're right, Fonzie. We'll start worshipping your God exactly as you do. We'll even become little clones of you since you are the only true servant of God".

Poor child. The answers you were given didn't square with where you stopped thinking so you ignored them and stayed safe in your self created God. I don't understand why you bother quoting Scripture as that God has nothing to do with yours.

Again, I have nothing against God - either the one in the Bible or the one you created. I'm just not a huge fan of arrogance and you are chock full of that. If you'd actually read the Bible you'd know that God isn't a fan of it either. Fortunately for you, your God is OK with it.

Why do you say we complain about restraints when you are the one that has none? All you have to do is ask forgiveness and promise never to do it again (until it become convenient) and you can do whatever you want. We poor unenlightened fools live with the restraints of morality and society that you can ignore.

Life doesn't offer any purpose except the one that you make as you go. It's a shame you wasted your purpose on arrogance and self delusion. I hope you can snap out of it. Becoming a Christian would be a good start.

I'm reading this morning for one thing this proverb, "This is the way of an adulteress:  she eats and wipes her mouth and says, 'I have done no wrong'."  She has a view on what she's doing, you have a view on things you're doing, I have a view on things I'm doing.  I have a high regard for everything that's in this book however.  I view it all as true.  I am totally confident I am right in that view.  I am willing to submit my behavior and attitude and life to it in any way it can be shown me I need to change with what it says rightly understood.  I believe it is all from God and totally true.  Not only is it totally true this Book totally satisfies me in every way concerning everything I need to know about life.  If this proverb were brought up to this lady mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised at her disdain for the view of this proverb.  She might think the one who brought it up was arrogant.  She might ridicule both.  But it is possible that she would be represented later by the woman Jesus talked to at the well who connected with change in her heart.  Now she had a passion for a new view of things, but she would still be surrounded by people who didn't regard Jesus or His Words as anything worth considering.  Now some would be against her, some might call her arrogant for what she knows in her heart to be true.  Such is life on the surface, yet deeper there is living water to be had.

"The spirit of man is the lamp of the LORD, searching all his innermost parts"  (GOD)  (my view is:  I'm confident this is from God - I have no doubt)

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Not only is it

Fonzie wrote:

Not only is it totally true this Book totally satisfies me in every way concerning everything I need to know about life.

If you feel the Bible offers all the wisdom you need, you're not only mistaken, you're a danger to society. If I were to write a book on morals today, I'm pretty sure I'd mention that rape, slavery, and incest are wrong. Your book condones all three. You are immoral, even compared to any atheist I've ever known. How do you justify that?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:jcgadfly

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

ALL

All I've seen on this forum is an attacking vacuum of reason and purpose.  The skill is mocking and ridicule - but it serves no purpose as far as direction or answers.  There is a spoken joy of emptiness short lived as the crackle of thorns under the pot.  There is a supposed freedom of throwing off the chains of God, the restraints that fools fail to recognize as good. 

"The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and His anointed, saying, 'Let us burst their bonds asunder, and cast their cords from us.'  He who sits in the heavens laughs; the LORD has them in derision.  Thsn He will speak to them in His wrath, and terrify them in His fury, saying,  'I have set My King on Zion, My Holy Hill'." (God)

You're playing the martyr card?

Did the mean kids here have a discussion with you other than "Of course you're right, Fonzie. We'll start worshipping your God exactly as you do. We'll even become little clones of you since you are the only true servant of God".

Poor child. The answers you were given didn't square with where you stopped thinking so you ignored them and stayed safe in your self created God. I don't understand why you bother quoting Scripture as that God has nothing to do with yours.

Again, I have nothing against God - either the one in the Bible or the one you created. I'm just not a huge fan of arrogance and you are chock full of that. If you'd actually read the Bible you'd know that God isn't a fan of it either. Fortunately for you, your God is OK with it.

Why do you say we complain about restraints when you are the one that has none? All you have to do is ask forgiveness and promise never to do it again (until it become convenient) and you can do whatever you want. We poor unenlightened fools live with the restraints of morality and society that you can ignore.

Life doesn't offer any purpose except the one that you make as you go. It's a shame you wasted your purpose on arrogance and self delusion. I hope you can snap out of it. Becoming a Christian would be a good start.

I'm reading this morning for one thing this proverb, "This is the way of an adulteress:  she eats and wipes her mouth and says, 'I have done no wrong'."  She has a view on what she's doing, you have a view on things you're doing, I have a view on things I'm doing.  I have a high regard for everything that's in this book however.  I view it all as true.  I am totally confident I am right in that view.  I am willing to submit my behavior and attitude and life to it in any way it can be shown me I need to change with what it says rightly understood.  I believe it is all from God and totally true.  Not only is it totally true this Book totally satisfies me in every way concerning everything I need to know about life.  If this proverb were brought up to this lady mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised at her disdain for the view of this proverb.  She might think the one who brought it up was arrogant.  She might ridicule both.  But it is possible that she would be represented later by the woman Jesus talked to at the well who connected with change in her heart.  Now she had a passion for a new view of things, but she would still be surrounded by people who didn't regard Jesus or His Words as anything worth considering.  Now some would be against her, some might call her arrogant for what she knows in her heart to be true.  Such is life on the surface, yet deeper there is living water to be had.

"The spirit of man is the lamp of the LORD, searching all his innermost parts"  (GOD)  (my view is:  I'm confident this is from God - I have no doubt)

I hesitate to do this since you'll simply ignore me and preach anyway but...

Let's take these in reverse - Isn't it odd how this lamp of the Lord shows you nothing about yourself?

Is that because you only shine it out on others and don't use it for self examination?

Now for the other tripe. I don't think you're arrogant because you're saying things that disturb me or I hate you and your God. I call you arrogant because you suffer from the sin of pride. It is the ultimate irony that the sin that weighs you down stems from your belief that God loves you more than his other children. There may be living water to be had I just wish you'd quit urinating in the well. You're ruining it for those who may draw out after you.

If you really had a high regard for that book, Fonzie, you'd use it to examine yourself.  Since it seems that all you wish to do is shine the light on others bad stuff so you can feel good in comparison, I can say you have as much regard for it as I do a newspaper wrapped around a rotten fish.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE NJV

JonathanBC wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Not only is it totally true this Book totally satisfies me in every way concerning everything I need to know about life.

If you feel the Bible offers all the wisdom you need, you're not only mistaken, you're a danger to society. If I were to write a book on morals today, I'm pretty sure I'd mention that rape, slavery, and incest are wrong. Your book condones all three. You are immoral, even compared to any atheist I've ever known. How do you justify that?

JonathanBC,

Ok, I think you're a little late for that but let's hear your first and last sentence.  (no plagiarizing)

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JonathanBC wrote:Fonzie

JonathanBC wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Let me save you some time. A while back in this thread he was asked if he would kill an innocent child if god asked him to. He dodged the question for a while, but finally answered "yes".

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:JonathanBC

Fonzie wrote:

JonathanBC wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

JonathanBC,

Ok, I think you're a little late for that but let's hear your first and last sentence.  (no plagiarizing)

I'd call Poe here but I'm sure it's been done some pages back. I've only been following the thread for a few days. I appreciate Anonymouse pointing out that you're either entirely irrational or the greatest satirist of all time. I guessed as much, but that tells me enough to avoid this thread from here on.

To the insane, immoral, dangerous, deluded fellow quoted, you didn't answer my direct question. I will not answer yours.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Saint Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

JonathanBC wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Let me save you some time. A while back in this thread he was asked if he would kill an innocent child if god asked him to. He dodged the question for a while, but finally answered "yes".

Anonymouse could do well in mainstream news with his "pull quote" -  out of context - "clip art" reporting.  Another possibility is a global warming documentary. 

Nothing against Anonymouse.  Compared to some - he's a saint.  Who knows.  

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
It is enlightening that

It is enlightening that there is literally no way to tell the difference between a cult member and a fundamentalist like Fonz.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:Anonymouse

Fonzie wrote:
Anonymouse could do well in mainstream news

Fox, you mean ? Nah, I don't think they like atheists much.

Fonzie wrote:
with his "pull quote" -  out of context - "clip art" reporting.  Another possibility is a global warming documentary. 

The context was the question "would you kill an innocent child if god asked you to ?", which I mentioned, so it's not "out of context" at all.

Your answer was "yes".

Fonzie wrote:
Nothing against Anonymouse. 

Strange. You don't seem to remember threatening me.

Fonzie wrote:
Compared to some - he's a saint.  Who knows. 

Gee, Meph, you're so mellow all of a sudden. I guess you finally found the right lithium dosage. Still, remember to get regular blood checks, k ?

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ROUGH DRAFT

JonathanBC wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

JonathanBC wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

JonathanBC,

I'd call Poe here but I'm sure it's been done some pages back. I've only been following the thread for a few days. I appreciate Anonymouse pointing out that you're either entirely irrational or the greatest satirist of all time. I guessed as much, but that tells me enough to avoid this thread from here on.

To the insane, immoral, dangerous, deluded fellow quoted, you didn't answer my direct question. I will not answer yours.

JonathanBC,

I thought I answered you directly.  You said you could write a better book than God and I said "ok, let's hear the first line/last line".  I thought you'd let it rip with something like:   "This is Jonathan BC, god, a god even atheists will like (maybe not JCGadfly, but that's ok too), and I think you'll like my book; just for starters I don't like incest, slavery or rape."  You can use/change/whatever any part of this if you want, no hard feelings.

Hope this helps-

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie, Have things gotten

Fonzie,

Have things gotten so bad that you're channeling Todd Friel?

"jcgadfly disagrees with me, doesn't want to kiss my butt and calls me arrogant. He must hate God."

Newsflash - you are not that important.

I'll also make a safe wager that you also don't understand why that thought is an arrogant one.

Lump me in with Gandhi - "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I'd be in good company.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie

Fonzie wrote:

Ex-Minister,

ex-minister wrote:

Then he is malevolent.

Then whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?”

How long do you think humans have been around? Are you an young earth creationist? God created the universe about 6000 years ago?

Why do you think God hides himself? Why would He make belief before understanding a requirement when the fate of the eternal soul is at stake?  Do you believe in a lake of fire that will burn for all eternity to contains those who rejected Christ?

Describe the difference between a guilty conscience and a real sin-wounded conscience?

Fronzie,

I don't see a reply from you on this.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE QUESTIONS AND THE ELEVATOR

ex-minister wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Ex-Minister,

ex-minister wrote:

Then he is malevolent.

Then whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?”

Fronzie,

ExMinister,

I will give you my opinion on your difficulties here - understand non of this is a problem or concern with me but I'll give a shot at it:  There was a time that some men had too much time on their hands and wanted to build the highest skyscraper.  The only problem was their elevator didn't go clear to the top floor, but that's another story.  This wasn't where God wanted hobbyville so He went down there and scattered them by this means:  He created a bunch of languages.  Some of us ended up with English, others Espanol, others Navajo.  Right now you and I are talking in English. 

One of these guys, I don't know if he was English or something else - he just got to asking himself questions he couldn't answer, and it was kind of like the tower with the too-short elevator.  He was long on questions but short on answers.  There were some guys stuck on the same elevator and one guy phoned out these questions. 

So they were using the King's English and trying to get to the top in a too short elevator altogether stuck with these questions.  I forgot, they were also spinning around at 3000 mph (that's 4828.032 KM) under a blue sky rocketing through space breathing air and exhaling Co2. 

They had questions but to those of us on the outside it was more important that they get out of that elevator and on the ground, maybe tilling the ground and raising a crop.  They were wasting time up there and that's what we call "elevator time" in the business. 

I think God was able to put enough sense in their head to quit letting these questions bother them and get out of that elevator!  There are better pursuits - I'm sure you would agree - than being stuck a couple floors short with questions in an elevator.  They've been stuck a long time.  I was stuck myself once.  Actually bumped my head when it stopped, but it doesn't hurt now.  It was a pretty deep bruise.  It's ok now. 

As far as the hot bearings in the middle of the earth spinning on its axis - you see all those oil derricks pumping the oil out of the bearings.  You know what's going to happen eventually brother.  It's going to get HOT. 

ExMinister,

I hope I've helped you here, I tried to not talk Bible speak, etc, but yours were hard to answer without getting dangerously close.  Hope I didn't get too close for you.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:ex-minister

Fonzie wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

Ex-Minister,

ex-minister wrote:

Then he is malevolent.

Then whence cometh evil?

Then why call him God?”

Fronzie,

ExMinister,

I will give you my opinion on your difficulties here - understand non of this is a problem or concern with me but I'll give a shot at it:  There was a time that some men had too much time on their hands and wanted to build the highest skyscraper.  The only problem was their elevator didn't go clear to the top floor, but that's another story.  This wasn't where God wanted hobbyville so He went down there and scattered them by this means:  He created a bunch of languages.  Some of us ended up with English, others Espanol, others Navajo.  Right now you and I are talking in English. 

One of these guys, I don't know if he was English or something else - he just got to asking himself questions he couldn't answer, and it was kind of like the tower with the too-short elevator.  He was long on questions but short on answers.  There were some guys stuck on the same elevator and one guy phoned out these questions. 

So they were using the King's English and trying to get to the top in a too short elevator altogether stuck with these questions.  I forgot, they were also spinning around at 3000 mph (that's 4828.032 KM) under a blue sky rocketing through space breathing air and exhaling Co2. 

They had questions but to those of us on the outside it was more important that they get out of that elevator and on the ground, maybe tilling the ground and raising a crop.  They were wasting time up there and that's what we call "elevator time" in the business. 

I think God was able to put enough sense in their head to quit letting these questions bother them and get out of that elevator!  There are better pursuits - I'm sure you would agree - than being stuck a couple floors short with questions in an elevator.  They've been stuck a long time.  I was stuck myself once.  Actually bumped my head when it stopped, but it doesn't hurt now.  It was a pretty deep bruise.  It's ok now. 

As far as the hot bearings in the middle of the earth spinning on its axis - you see all those oil derricks pumping the oil out of the bearings.  You know what's going to happen eventually brother.  It's going to get HOT. 

ExMinister,

I hope I've helped you here, I tried to not talk Bible speak, etc, but yours were hard to answer without getting dangerously close.  Hope I didn't get too close for you.

Well, I took your prior statement in good faith. You wrote "Sure, what did you want to talk about? "

I then considered carefully what would be the things I would want to know about you. I took a day or two to consider. To make sure I didn't ask something that you had already stated I read through nearly all your postings. I started to realize you don't reveal anything about yourself. Being a former Christian, I surmised you are "swallowed up in Christ". So, I knew I had to make my questions as direct as possible. Asking if you believe in YEC, hell-fire and what denomination you were would provide little or no wiggle room. But you answered more like I expected than hoped. A parable, cookies and milk, please. I give you a gold star for creative effort and avoiding bible-speak, but nothing for meaningful communication. Bottom line I gather from your response, recognizing the tower of Babel reference, your God is the author of confusion despite what other text may say, don't ask questions, check your brain at the door, surrender, bow and believe, otherwise you will burn. 

Would that sum it up?

Religion Kills !!!

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL

LOL

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I'm with NoDeity: LOLI

I'm with NoDeity: LOL

I wasn't going to come back, but this is too much fun, and I've been drinking. It was worth it for the chuckle!

Fonzie wrote:

JonathanBC,

I thought I answered you directly.  You said you could write a better book than God and I said "ok, let's hear the first line/last line".  I thought you'd let it rip with something like:   "This is Jonathan BC, god, a god even atheists will like (maybe not JCGadfly, but that's ok too), and I think you'll like my book; just for starters I don't like incest, slavery or rape."  You can use/change/whatever any part of this if you want, no hard feelings.

Hope this helps-

There is no God, so he couldn't write a book. I was referring to the Bible, which was written by humans. Guess you had a different book in mind. Sorry. My mistake.

But if I were to write a book, the first line would be a dedication to you, sir! That's how I'd start it.

What do you think so far? Oh, and I'm working on another book. It starts out "Call me Ishmael." Could you maybe review it?

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie,

"jcgadfly disagrees with me, doesn't want to kiss my butt and calls me arrogant. He must hate God."

I'll also make a safe wager that you also don't understand why that thought is an arrogant one.

Lump me in with Gandhi - "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

I'd be in good company.

JcGadfly,

There are things you maybe think you would enjoy but I want to be clear:  I wouldn't, JcGadfly.  In fact, I think we've seen clearly that if you like something - I don't.  You say "yes", I say "no".  Maybe you're working on a nuclear rocket meaning of life shipment over there but I'm not even going to get under a desk.  Your guns are rubber band guns.  There's been no substance in any of your argument shipments to date.  And BTW you're in your own company and that's bad/good enough for you, unfortunately. 

(I guess when it comes to things getting bad you would be the resident expert however and speak for your side here, there and everywhere  and whatever enemy you're kissing wherever.  But please don't tell me about it.)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie,

I'd be in good company.

JcGadfly,

There are things you maybe think you would enjoy but I want to be clear:  I wouldn't, JcGadfly.  In fact, I think we've seen clearly that if you like something - I don't.  You say "yes", I say "no".  Maybe you're working on a nuclear rocket meaning of life shipment over there but I'm not even going to get under a desk.  Your guns are rubber band guns.  There's been no substance in any of your argument shipments to date.  And BTW you're in your own company and that's bad/good enough for you, unfortunately. 

(I guess when it comes to things getting bad you would be the resident expert however and speak for your side here, there and everywhere  and whatever enemy you're kissing wherever.  But please don't tell me about it.)

Are you ignoring the substance in the arguments that I and others have made because they scare you?

Or is it because your arrogance provides you a delusion of adequacy?

Is sacrificing thinking for happiness really a good trade?

You think I'm trying to attack you when all I want is for you to take a good hard look at yourself.

I know it can be frightening - I was a Christian before I examined myself and realized I was letting others think for me.

I can only hope you can do the same - I fear you're too addicted to the religion you've created to take that risk.

— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE BIG LIE AND THE BIG HOLE

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie,

I'd be in good company.

JcGadfly,

Are you ignoring the substance in the arguments that I and others have made because they scare you?

Or is it because your arrogance provides you a delusion of adequacy?

Is sacrificing thinking for happiness really a good trade?

You think I'm trying to attack you when all I want is for you to take a good hard look at yourself.

I know it can be frightening - I was a Christian before I examined myself and realized I was letting others think for me.

I can only hope you can do the same - I fear you're too addicted to the religion you've created to take that risk.

JcGadfly,

The principle you are running with is the "big lie" - a lie so outlandish and far-fetched that no one would think anybody would have the audacity to tell such a lie so the simple might think for that reason it is true.  You assume since you aren't sure of anything if someone is that one is arrogant.  I can evaluate my situation in all honesty and in the light of truth which is illustrated in part by the fact that I don't come on and keep you at arm's length and make it about attacking you and not telling you what my confidence is based on.  I have told you what I am about and will do it again.  You are the one hiding behind the tree.   

We've had some fun, true, but I have laid out substance in Christ.  What the conscience wants to see in all honesty and truth is how a just God will punish sin.  Through the eyes of faith the conscience sees that in the atoning and willing sacrifice of heaven's best - Christ lifted up on the Cross for our sins.  Through faith the conscience can have that and be at peace. 

Outside things, such as helping out your fellow man, are important and good and evidence that faith is real, but our relationship with God is not built on those things.  Idolatry has an appearance of righteousness, but it is a mirage.  A man could work himself to the bone trying to get peace in good works but it would never be enough.  The soul and conscience and heart and mind of man find true peace through faith in Christ.  That's substance. 

You say you were a Christian.  I wonder if you ever experienced this peace - or didn't get all the enemies run out of your "promised land".  I also wonder what you think of that scripture that says that if it's true you were a Christian and gave up you are worse now than an infidel - and it's impossible to bring you to repentance?  (I would take that to mean it's impossible for me or you or others but all things are possible with God).  It's a big hole you are in.   

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
And all I have to do is be

And all I have to do is be like...you.

Not like Christ, not like God - you.

If idolatry is such a sin, why do youi want me to worship you?

— George Carlin

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a thread of thought

There's a thread of thought running through this discussion. It runs something like this;

Atheism is rational. Faith in God is irrational.

Atheism is intelligent and intellectual. Faith in God is the opposite.

Quite simply, this line of reasoning is wrong. There are intelligent people on both sides of the faith divide. What separates them is not rationalism, intellect or education, but rather what evidence (not usually in the empirical sense) they have chosen to accept as factual.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:There's a

Dragoon wrote:

There's a thread of thought running through this discussion. It runs something like this;

Quite simply, this line of reasoning is wrong. There are intelligent people on both sides of the faith divide. What separates them is not rationalism, intellect or education, but rather what evidence (not usually in the empirical sense) they have chosen to accept as factual.

It's more along these lines:

Faith is a belief in something without or contrary to evidence. Skeptics need evidence to form opinions and conclusions.

Theists have faith in God while having no evidence of his existence or ignoring evidence that there is no God (or if there is a God, he is not worthy of worship). Atheists see no evidence and have no belief.

This differs from Fonzie's "If you're not in lockstep with me, you hate God" that he swiped from Todd Friel.

— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:There's a

Dragoon wrote:

That's a bit unfair, to say the least. There's quite a lot of history between some of the people in this thread. Years worth of discussions, in some cases. I'd read the entire thread first before making comments like that.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
SINK OR FLOAT?

jcgadfly wrote:

JcGadfly,

I don't want you to worship me but rather Christ; however, you know that.  I understand this is just your tree to get behind.  "Hi JcGadfly!  Next time pick a real tree!" 

I wonder if you would do a run down of:  who's arrogant/ who's not arrogant

Here's a list for starters:  Jesus - arrogant or not?  

Pat Condell - arrogant or not? 

Dan Rather - arrogant or not? 

David Letterman - arrogant or not? 

Howard Dean - arrogant or not? 

Mohamed Ali - arrogant or not?

Anonymouse - arrogant or not? 

Me - (you've already answered this one, go to next)

You - arrogant or not? 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

JcGadfly,

I don't want you to worship me but rather Christ; however, you know that.  I understand this is just your tree to get behind.  "Hi JcGadfly!  Next time pick a real tree!" 

You - arrogant or not? 

The celebs you list and Jesus - I never met them in person so I have no idea whether they're arrogant or not (neither have you most likely so you can't say for sure either).

Anony - never met him but he doesn't seem arrogant from his postings.

You - never met you either but your postings do seem arrogant.

Me - on some things - yes (working on those) on other things I lack confidence (the Christians taught me too well).

I'd ask you to play but I fear your criterion would be "do I like what they have to say?"

— George Carlin

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
ARROGANCE HUNTING SEASON

jcgadfly wrote:

Fonzie wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

JcGadfly,

You - arrogant or not? 

The celebs you list and Jesus - I never met them in person so I have no idea whether they're arrogant or not (neither have you most likely so you can't say for sure either).

Anony - never met him but he doesn't seem arrogant from his postings.

You - never met you either but your postings do seem arrogant.

Me - on some things - yes (working on those) on other things I lack confidence (the Christians taught me too well).

I'd ask you to play but I fear your criterion would be "do I like what they have to say?"

JcGadfly,

I didn't have anything in mind.  I just threw that list together.  The only One I'm sure about in the list is Jesus - He's exactly on target on everything, Perfect.  (For that you can say I'm arrogant, sigh - but I have my view on that and you can have yours).  I think with everyone else on that list it is hard to distinguish between passion and convictions that spring maybe from hard experience.  I think to be sure somebody was arrogant the one making the call might have to be somewhat arrogant themselves (unless somebody makes it too easy, ha)

I don't see myself as arrogant; however I would have to be arrogant to dogmatically say I'm not - so maybe I am!   If so I don't want it to be!  I wonder if you could factor out the arrogant part of me you see that I don't (a person never sees the other side, the outside looking in clearly) and describe and magnify the arrogance in me to me you see such that maybe I - even steeped in my arrogance -  could see it and hate it myself, which I would like to do if it's there.  I think a person could easily think less or more of themselves than they should think - either would be off target. 

So you can have a heyday on that and parade my arrogance (myself being the grand marshal, you with the bullhorn) so we can eliminate this weak member of the herd and the coyotes can have lunch.   

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus?  "Jesus saith unto

Jesus? 

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

- John 14:6

Yep, arrogant.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
JUST TRUE

NoDeity wrote:

Jesus? 

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Yep, arrogant.

NoDeity,

The Father gave Him all power and authority in heaven and on earth.  Right after that He washed the disciple's feet.  Peter didn't want Him to then changed his mind. 

Then He took a beating for them and us (you, too).  Then He let them crucify Him for them and us (you too).  There we see how God will punish sin yet be merciful - yes, we can come to God only through the Door, Christ. 

It's not arrogant....  just true.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The concept of purging one's

The concept of purging one's sins thru punishment or sacrifice of another person is a vile, primitive idea with no logical justification.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:NoDeity

Fonzie wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Jesus? 

Yep, arrogant.

NoDeity,

The Father gave Him all power and authority in heaven and on earth.  Right after that He washed the disciple's feet.  Peter didn't want Him to then changed his mind. 

Then He took a beating for them and us (you, too).  Then He let them crucify Him for them and us (you too).  There we see how God will punish sin yet be merciful - yes, we can come to God only through the Door, Christ. 

It's not arrogant....  just true. 

The lack of sound reasons for thinking that any of that is true makes your assertion not especially compelling, if I may be excused for a bit of understatement.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Dragoon

Anonymouse wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

That's a bit unfair, to say the least. There's quite a lot of history between some of the people in this thread. Years worth of discussions, in some cases. I'd read the entire thread first before making comments like that.

Look at JCGadly's comment (#825) directly above your post. That's why I'm making that assertion, though please note that I say it is A thread, not the only one.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Dragoon

jcgadfly wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

It's more along these lines:

Faith is a belief in something without or contrary to evidence. Skeptics need evidence to form opinions and conclusions.

Theists have faith in God while having no evidence of his existence or ignoring evidence that there is no God (or if there is a God, he is not worthy of worship). Atheists see no evidence and have no belief.

This differs from Fonzie's "If you're not in lockstep with me, you hate God" that he swiped from Todd Friel.

Those lines are false ones though.

(Christian or other religious) Faith is not belief without or contrary to evidence, though it is sometimes belief without scientific evidence. Every person forms their beliefs based upon evidence... we just don't all agree on whether the evidence is valid.

There is more than one context for 'evidence'. In most cases above, you are referring to scientific evidence. Yet on that same basis, there is no scientific evidence DISPROVING God either. There is an absence of scientific/empirical evidence in this regard.

This does not 'prove' God, but my point is not to prove God.

My point is simply that neither Atheism or Theism is 'more' intelligent or more based upon 'evidence'. Both are beliefs based upon the best judgement (of available empirical and non-empirical evidence) of the individuals involved.

----

Why do you feel the need to critique Fonzie's position in this discussion by the way? Perhaps we should ask him how he'd summarize his position in his own words.

Fonzie?

NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote: Why do you

Dragoon wrote:
Why do you feel the need to critique Fonzie's position in this discussion by the way?

Fonzie invited it in his opening post.  He initiated these conversations.

Dragoon wrote:
Perhaps we should ask him how he'd summarize his position in his own words.

Fonzie?

He did that in his opening post.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are an infinite number

There are an infinite number of things which possibly could exist but we cannot prove do not exist.

To believe in something for which there is no evidence and justify that by saying we cannot DISPROVE it is really, really stupid.

Evidence for something existing outside your own mental world must be justified by reference to something outside your own internal experience, that other people not sharing the same preconception can attest to. To claim otherwise is to be logically obliged to accept an enormous range of incredible things that at least one person has claimed to have experienced, including virtually every alien abduction ever reported.

To verify that something is really not just a figment of your own imagination requires independent checking, which is the basis of the scientific method.

So insistence that something that is not just a concept in your own mind actually exists requires the application of scientific method. That is why it was developed.

Personal conviction of the reality of anything is, by itself, virtually worthless.

A person will normally have reasons for believing something, but doesn't mean those reasons deserved to be treated as evidence for the truth of the belief.

The scientific method, at its core, is a systematic way to filter out the effects of personal bias and errors of perception, and all the failings that our finite minds are susceptible to.

So in the God debate, the Atheist position is vastly more defensible, in the absence of evidence that can pass the most basic tests of scientific standards of evidence. The enormous implications of the reality or otherwise of such an entity demand that the standard of evidence be quite high.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:Anonymouse

Dragoon wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

Look at JCGadly's comment (#825) directly above your post. That's why I'm making that assertion, though please note that I say it is A thread, not the only one.

Well then, read the rest of JC's comments (that should take a while), and you'l have a clearer idea of just what is being discussed between him and "Fonzie". You will notice JC asks a lot of questions, but doesn't get a lot of answers.

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOVE LETTERS FROM SCIENCE?

BobSpence1 wrote:

There are an infinite number of things which possibly could exist but we cannot prove do not exist.

To believe in something for which there is no evidence and justify that by saying we cannot DISPROVE it is really, really stupid.

Evidence for something existing outside your own mental world must be justified by reference to something outside your own internal experience, that other people not sharing the same preconception can attest to. To claim otherwise is to be logically obliged to accept an enormous range of incredible things that at least one person has claimed to have experienced, including virtually every alien abduction ever reported.

To verify that something is really not just a figment of your own imagination requires independent checking, which is the basis of the scientific method.

So insistence that something that is not just a concept in your own mind actually exists requires the application of scientific method. That is why it was developed.

Personal conviction of the reality of anything is, by itself, virtually worthless.

A person will normally have reasons for believing something, but doesn't mean those reasons deserved to be treated as evidence for the truth of the belief.

The scientific method, at its core, is a systematic way to filter out the effects of personal bias and errors of perception, and all the failings that our finite minds are susceptible to.

So in the God debate, the Atheist position is vastly more defensible, in the absence of evidence that can pass the most basic tests of scientific standards of evidence. The enormous implications of the reality or otherwise of such an entity demand that the standard of evidence be quite high.

BobSpence1,

Science can do well in its field but there is a fence around that field that I think you try to jump over when you apply it to God and spiritual things.  There are things that science is mystified by and maybe honest about that, maybe not at times.  Just as you would require faith in God to stay in its place (such as; stay out of politics and in that I would agree) the same needs to be applied to science.  You are asking more of science than it has to give when it comes to proving/disproving God.  From my viewpoint science is part of the orchestra praising God - but I didn't get my proof from science.  I was moved by the power of the gospel - a spiritual message with spiritual power.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fonzie wrote:BobSpence1

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1,

Science can do well in its field but there is a fence around that field that I think you try to jump over when you apply it to God and spiritual things.  There are things that science is mystified by and maybe honest about that, maybe not at times.  Just as you would require faith in God to stay in its place (such as; stay out of politics and in that I would agree) the same needs to be applied to science.  You are asking more of science than it has to give when it comes to proving/disproving God.  From my viewpoint science is part of the orchestra praising God - but I didn't get my proof from science.  I was moved by the power of the gospel - a spiritual message with spiritual power.

Anything that cannot be addressed by the scientific method, ie independent evidence, does not warrant being taken as more than speculation.

The fence is around anyone believing in stuff just because it 'works for them'. Unless they have tried a range of other world-views, they have no way to know that some other belief system may work even better.

Those who believe in nonsense, even comforting nonsense, need to be kept away from any impact on the real world, less their mistaken beliefs lead to do something really unfortunate for those people struggling to mange an increasingly complex world, which does not forgive mistakes, no matter how comforting those beliefs for the person concerned.

Science concerns itself with reality and truth, as near as we can get to it, religion is about comforting fantasies.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:Dragoon wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Dragoon wrote:
Why do you feel the need to critique Fonzie's position in this discussion by the way?

Dragoon wrote:

Fonzie?

Yet I don't see "If you're not in lockstep with me, you hate God" in Fonzie's opening... which is how JCGadfly is summarizing his position.

Fonzie invited us to answer several questions... but I don't think he ever asked people to state his position with words he has not used. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that last point.

Dragoon
Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Anything

BobSpence1 wrote:

Anything that cannot be addressed by the scientific method, ie independent evidence, does not warrant being taken as more than speculation.

My wife loves me.

Can this statement be tested using truly scientific methods? If it cannot, then does that mean it should be mere speculation?

I agree entirely with what you are saying, WHEN applied to those fields where the scientific method is applicable, but there are many areas in which science does not speak to us. The question of God is one of those.

There is still 'evidence'... but that evidence is not from the scientific method.

As an adjunct, I'd ask about history or other social sciences as well. The dominant theories in these fields are certainly more than mere speculation (as there are obviously more and less valid arguments). Yet none of them are built upon the scientific method of empirical testing. The nature of 'evidence' changes when discussing different fields.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:NoDeity

Dragoon wrote:

NoDeity wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

Fonzie?

Yet I don't see "If you're not in lockstep with me, you hate God" in Fonzie's opening... which is how JCGadfly is summarizing his position.

Fonzie invited us to answer several questions... but I don't think he ever asked people to state his position with words he has not used. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that last point.

I see you haven't bothered reading much but the OP. I felt the description of his channeling Todd Friel  was apt given that he tends to take questions about his religion as an attack on his person. My problem has never been with Fonzie's religion, simply with his ham-fisted approach to proselytizing.

— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:Yet I don't

Dragoon wrote:

You don't see it because you haven't read the whole thread yet. JC has been talking to this guy for many years now. If anyone's qualified to summarise his position, it's JC, and he's been more than fair.

One of the things you might like to do, while reading through this thread, is count how many of JC's questions "Fonzie" has completely ignored.

That alone should take a while.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:BobSpence1

Dragoon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

My wife loves me.

Can this statement be tested using truly scientific methods? If it cannot, then does that mean it should be mere speculation?

Why wouldn't this be subject to scrutiny?  Just define what you mean by love and I bet we could test it.  We can anylyze brain chemistry and MRI type stuff when she thinks about you or sees pictures of you.  We could build a case study of her behavior in relation to you.

Why would love be outside of science?  Love happens inside brains and brains are real things covered by science.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Dragoon wrote:BobSpence1

Dragoon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

My wife loves me.

I agree entirely with what you are saying, WHEN applied to those fields where the scientific method is applicable, but there are many areas in which science does not speak to us. The question of God is one of those.

There is still 'evidence'... but that evidence is not from the scientific method.

As an adjunct, I'd ask about history or other social sciences as well. The dominant theories in these fields are certainly more than mere speculation (as there are obviously more and less valid arguments). Yet none of them are built upon the scientific method of empirical testing. The nature of 'evidence' changes when discussing different fields.

Not all science is done in a lab. The things you do for each other that are done in public - that's observable evidence which can be evaluated using the scientific method.

— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Dragoon

Anonymouse wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

You don't see it because you haven't read the whole thread yet. JC has been talking to this guy for many years now. If anyone's qualified to summarise his position, it's JC, and he's been more than fair.

One of the things you might like to do, while reading through this thread, is count how many of JC's questions "Fonzie" has completely ignored.

That alone should take a while.

then again, there is a little cynical piece of me that is tempted to check to see if Dragoon has Fonzie's hand up his back. I hope that piece is wrong.

— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Dragoon

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

My wife loves me.

Why wouldn't this be subject to scrutiny?  Just define what you mean by love and I bet we could test it.  We can anylyze brain chemistry and MRI type stuff when she thinks about you or sees pictures of you.  We could build a case study of her behavior in relation to you.

Why would love be outside of science?  Love happens inside brains and brains are real things covered by science.

Right. Science only requires that something be independently observable, at least in principle.

Thanks to modern techniques, such emotional states are being measured and inferred all the time, both by observation of behaviour and by brain scanning techniques.

If you love your wife, but never mention it or change your behaviour in any way based on it, we may indeed need a brain scanner, but can you really imagine you would actually behave that way, and could you accurately be described as being in love if you never expressed it in any way??

Fonzie
TheistardTroll
Fonzie's picture
User is offlineOffline
SCIENCE BIBLE

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

My wife loves me.

Right. Science only requires that something be independently observable, at least in principle.

Thanks to modern techniques, such emotional states are being measured and inferred all the time, both by observation of behaviour and by brain scanning techniques.

If you love your wife, but never mention it or change your behaviour in any way based on it, we may indeed need a brain scanner, but can you really imagine you would actually behave that way, and could you accurately be described as being in love if you never expressed it in any way??

BobSpence1,

So is your science bible: 1 & 2 Chemistry, 1,2 & 3 Physics, General Science, Reason, 1. 2 and 3 Math, Electronics, Computer, Hydraulics, Kinesiology, etc? 

What would be your equivalent to Genesis and Revelation? 

Is there a savior or, if not, what is the focus point of the god of science? 

What is the end hope of science? 

Are there different churches of science?  If so are they in harmony with each other? 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

My wife loves me.

BobSpence1,

So is your science bible: 1 & 2 Chemistry, 1,2 & 3 Physics, General Science, Reason, 1. 2 and 3 Math, Electronics, Computer, Hydraulics, Kinesiology, etc? 

Are there different churches of science?  If so are they in harmony with each other? 

As opposed to the books of blood, death and sorcery you follow, Fonzie? Ironic how sorcery is a sin unless your God is the practitioner.

Why do we need an equivalent for Genesis and Revelation? One is a compilation of older creation myths and the other is an interesting piece of fiction written by a guy who was stoned on mushrooms. They also fall into the aforementioned "Magic's not a sin if God does it" provision.

Science offers knowledge, opportunities to better ourselves and a chance to leave the place we're living better than we found it. That is, if the theists and the power-hungry (often the same people) don't let their fear and greed keep science from doing its job. Doesn't sound better than sitting on your haunches waiting to be saved because you believe you can go to a beautiful place after you're dead?

The end hope - improve the lives of our generation now and future generations later. Again, isn't that better than cheering on the end of the world just so you can believe you have a pretty place after you're dead?

Science needs no church. Scientists have their disagreements and make mistakes - That's what research and peer review do check for errors and keep harmony on the essentials. Don't you wish Christians and other theists could do that instead of each little splinter group insisting on the rightness of their cause?

Wait. Maybe you don't.

— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Fonzie wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Dragoon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

My wife loves me.

BobSpence1,

Science works precisely because it does NOT have any equivalents of those things. There is no prime document which must be deferred to at all times. All scientific documents are open to continual revision in the light of new discoveries.

The ongoing hope of Science is to progressively gain ever more accurate knowledge and insight into ever more aspects of "Life, the Universe, and Everything".

People and groups are free to pursue different approaches to investigate things, and scientific institutions provide mechanisms for the findings of these different groups to be compared, with as many people as practical, who know something about the particular subject, to offer their assessment.  Scientists in then try to work toward a consensus which may eventually endorse one theory as clearly the one best supported by the experimental and observational data. If one theory cannot be seen as clearly the best, they then try and devise further tests to see which one works best, which bets fits the results of experiments or new observations, and if possible makes predictions which turn out to be accurate.

People who produce ideas that provide much better explanations by completely overturning established ideas are celebrated as heroes, not condemned as heretics.

We have no equivalent of Genesis or Revelation, which are probably the most mistaken chapters in the Bible. If anyone produced any theory remotely resembling those chapters, it would be laughed out of the room as everyone pointed out how nonsensical it was. They would require a vast amount of evidence, unlike those Bible chapters, which simply state things as truths with no attempt to justify the statements.