Hilarious Idea for Bible Study Class

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hilarious Idea for Bible Study Class

Recently a State (Texas I believe) passed a law requiring schools to have voluntary Bible classes - it must be the Bible but they can't tell the kids what version of the Bible to use. Well, on the Non-Prophets podcast they had a great idea - Atheist kids should show up for the class and use the Lolcats Bible or the Skeptics Annotated Bible. 

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
You mean like from

You mean like from Deuteronomy...

Oh hai, I be Ceiling Cat who taked u from Ejjipt where u be petz and now u be petz no moar.

AND....

An it iz how kittah rulur sez for all kittah rulur's nine lifes. An kittah will know an be afriad of teh Ceiling Cats lawz and rulings. Taht he not be petted moar tahn alla kittahs, taht he know all because of his learnings, taht he maek many kittenz an dey can has livin in teh earfs.

Goin' backs to mai cheezburgers fur now....

nom, nom, nom, nom, nom

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
But seriously I wonder how

But seriously I wonder how they can get away with this shit.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
For those who are curious

For those who are curious about the law in question: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01287I.htm

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I noticed they slid into the

I noticed they slid into the legislation section k allowing a district to teach whatever they want as long as they don't spend state funds on it.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure Bible study in

I'm not sure Bible study in schools is such a bad idea. If I had read the Bible when I was a teenager, I would have seen how fucking ridiculous it was and probably saved myself decades of absurd thinking.

Rick

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:I'm not sure

RickRebel wrote:

I'm not sure Bible study in schools is such a bad idea. If I had read the Bible when I was a teenager, I would have seen how fucking ridiculous it was and probably saved myself decades of absurd thinking.

Rick

"Read your goddamn Bible because we need more atheists.  Elvis never did no drugs!"

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wouldn't it be a hoot if no

Wouldn't it be a hoot if no one signed up for their voluntary class?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
hazindu wrote:RickRebel

hazindu wrote:

RickRebel wrote:

Rick

"Read your goddamn Bible because we need more atheists.  Elvis never did no drugs!"

Actually, Penn said this (read my sig).

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Actually, Penn said

Quote:
Actually, Penn said this (read my sig).
I know, that's one of my favorites.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

RickRebel wrote:

Rick

you really think they'll let these kids just read it unguided?  it'll be the same old selective reading, "proof text" mining you see in every sunday school and bible college.  and you remember how lazy you were as a high school student.  you think most of 'em'll read beyond what the teacher assigns?  shit, the only ones who'll read it cover to cover are brainwashed already.

god, in europe they'd come down on that shit with a ton of bricks.  back in my missionary days, we as a religious organization couldn't even hold a social event with no religious teaching whatsoever in a state school building here in slovakia.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
We mostly know there are

We mostly know there are certain Bible passages no minister would ever dare read to his congregation (and probably hopes they never read themselves. ) This would go doubly so for Sunday school teachers. If they do that we can only hope some atheist teachers get this class and assign all the stupid, ridiculous and evil parts.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline

RickRebel wrote:

Rick

I might tend to agree with your observation that there's nothing quite like exposure to help a teen mind see the light of day, but there are a myriad of problems with the idea.

Just to point out one....

Study of holy books probably shouldn't begin any earlier than high school age. I base this in part on my own educational experience through grade school and even middle school/jr. high. Most kids I knew, even in grades 7 and 8, were too impressionable in the sense that most still didn't have a firm grasp on simply telling right from wrong. Also, most were still too eager to go along with the crowd, rather than thinking for themselves, regardless of the amount of peer pressure.

I have an 8th grade son now, and I have constant contact again! with the age group. I've noticed teen minds have not changed all that much over the past couple decades.

In any case, IMHO, it shouldn't be mandatory in a public school.

Electives?

Well....