I Kissed a Girl - continued

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
I Kissed a Girl - continued

There was recently a thread in the Atheist vs. Theist forum regarding the song "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry, which serves as the inspiration for this thread, although I am approaching the topic from a broader perspective.

About a month ago, there was an article in the Chicago Tribune about the popular song, which my mother was kind enough to clip for me. (Unfortunately, I searched for the article in online archives, but could not pinpoint the exact title because I wasn't going to pay money for access. I believe it may have been called "Song Doesn't Live up to Lyrics" by Ann Powers, if anyone is interested.) This article talked about the "trend" that the song had sparked - once the song comes on in clubs, heterosexual girls feel compelled by peer pressure to make out with other girls. So despite the song's lyrics about sexual liberty, the song itself is actually a catalyst for peer pressure-induced activities. My mother warned me to avoid falling prey to this trend - of course, I neglected to tell her that just a couple short weeks prior, I had been making out with a friend while the song played in a club.

This past summer, I began coming out to friends as bisexual, as it is a part of my identity that I have realized and claimed over the past few months. I now recognize that I have been sexually attracted to females since as young as age 10 or 11, but at that age I thought you could be either heterosexual or homosexual - and since I was attracted to males, that negated the possibility of the latter. Now I know orientation isn't necessarily mutually exclusive, but I didn't know better when my sexuality was first developing.

The friends I have told have been very accepting and supportive (or are bisexual themselves), and I am sure a lot of the warm reception is due to the recent "trend" in bisexual behavior. And while overall, I think the increasing presence of homosexuality and bisexuality in the media is progressive rather than a hindrance, I am a bit concerned about the overall image of it.

At some point or another, we have all probably done an impression of the "stereotypical" gay male, complete with accent and hand gestures. And upon seeing a "butch" woman, the tendency is to assume that she is lesbian. And I feel that the same is becoming true of bisexuality. I feel like people are expecting me to act like Tila Tequila (of "A Shot at Love" fame), and indiscriminately make out with people regardless of gender, when that isn't how I operate at all. I love Tila Tequila as a personality, and I do feel that I have some personality traits in common with her, but while we may both share the same label, bisexuality does not manifest itself in the same way for both of us.

The premise of "A Shot at Love" is for Tila to find love - whether it be with a guy or girl. However, I am not equally willing to have a relationship with a girl as with a guy. I am definitely more attracted to men than to women. Walking down the street, it is relatively common for me to see a guy and subconsciously think, "He's pretty hot; I would have sex with him," while this same reaction is much more rare upon approaching a girl. And I would be hesitant to embark upon an exclusive relationship with a girl, because, to put it bluntly, I would miss "real sex" too much. But I am undeniably and strongly attracted to girls on a frequent enough basis that I do feel the label is personally applicable.

I guess my questions for discussion in this vein are: Do you think that the increase of allusions to homosexuality/bisexuality/pseudo-homosexuality in the media are helpful or harmful for public acceptance? Do you think the "trendiness" of bisexuality encourages others to come out, or cheapens the experience for those who actually do identify with this orientation? What do you think of portrayals of people that identify with these orientations in the media? Do you like or dislike the fact that girls in clubs are running around pretending they are lesbian/bisexual when they actually aren't? And feel free to add any other comments that may be relevant. I don't have too many specific questions on the subject, but I just wanted to start a general discussion to see where others stand.

[Edited to add a question]

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Interesting Goddess. I think

Interesting Goddess. I think I am so liberal that I personally have little to say, except that the negativity commonly expressed towards gay and bi really angers me. Your story reminds me of my cool very pretty younger free minded sister, who had many boy friends but eventually felt most comfortable with a girl, whom she has been steady with for 20 some yrs.

They are successful, own a beautiful big home, and fool around a bit with who knows who. They are way cool. Sexual freedom is progress. I sometimes say, "I just haven't met the right guy", while I am quite sure I never will, whatever shakes our tree, in a kind and loving sense, is all okay with me.   

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:I guess

greek goddess wrote:

I guess my questions for discussion in this vein are:

Do you think that the increase of allusions to homosexuality/bisexuality/pseudo-homosexuality in the media are helpful or harmful for public acceptance?

As many posts on this board have discussed, this nation is sexually repressed. Even good old fashioned heterosexual activity is a 'shock' to many.

greek goddess wrote:

Do you think the "trendiness" of bisexuality encourages others to come out, or cheapens the experience for those who actually do identify with this orientation?

I think it does both. Think of how influenced younger people are by the 'trends'; jeans, piercings, music... If I were a young girl with strong feelings for both girls and boys and one of my friends were like: "Oh my god, she is so hawt, I should totally make out with her, that would be cool" That would piss me off.

greek goddess wrote:

What do you think of portrayals of people that identify with these orientations in the media?

Depends on the type of media you are speaking of. It isn't often that you see full reports on the nightly news regarding bi-sexuality. I see it on shows and have seen the role played as comedy, action and drama.

greek goddess wrote:

Do you like or dislike the fact that girls in clubs are running around pretending they are lesbian/bisexual when they actually aren't?

It has been a long time since I have been to a club. I would find it quite entertaining to see all this kissing action on the dance floor. I can actually see my husband and I spending hours playing "guess the true lesbian/bisexual" Smiling  But seriously, of the lesbians/bisexuals I know...they tend to keep it very natural and not throw it in peoples faces (unless they are in a gay bar!)

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Katy has lots of homosexual

Katy has lots of homosexual themes in her music.

Reference her other song 'Ur so Gay'

Anyway, I suppose songs like that could encourage them to come out of the closet. But homosexual characaters on T.V only re-enforce sterotypes.

As for girls acting bi/gay at clubs, they probably do it for the guys/attention and/or the influence of alcohol.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Do you think the

Quote:
Do you think the "trendiness" of bisexuality encourages others to come out, or cheapens the experience for those who actually do identify with this orientation?

Personally, I think it encourages acceptance. Also: the bisexual and homosexual communities should realize that, here, that really can't have it both ways. Do they want to have it 'cheapened' and watch it grow into a mainstream lifestyle, or would they rather sit out on the fringe and be targeted by bigots but also get to be seen as 'special'?

Quote:
What do you think of portrayals of people that identify with these orientations in the media?

Again, I think the fact that it's being adopted by the media so regularly is a positive sign. Yes, the situations and characters are often exaggerated, but being nit-picky about the details only demonstrates a failure to see a bigger picture.

Quote:
Do you like or dislike the fact that girls in clubs are running around pretending they are lesbian/bisexual when they actually aren't?

Here I wish I could say I was indifferent, but...

Girls making out with girls is awesome. It really floats my boat. Thing is, I'm not really a club-goer, so I say fuck the clubs: crank that shit in the malls. Crank it on planes, crank it on busses, crank it on the freeway.

I want to see the opposite gender wrestling each other's tongues as often as is possible. Smiling

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:...I

greek goddess wrote:

I have to ask.  Why does it matter what others think?  Do you need validation?  Just exist.  I can't see us blaming you for that.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
IMHO

I will say it is more helpful, as well as scientific findings about sexuality, has lead to a generation more acceptable of homosexuality and bisexuality (ok mainly on the female side, lets admit the truth here). My generation is far more accepting of homosexuals than my parents generation (although my parents are fine with homosexuals and bisexuals), and my daughter's generation will be even more accepting because it will be something normal, as she will be growing up with same sex marriage allowed (I am Canadian and yes you can have same sex marriage in Canada). But that's my take on it. I personally have friends in the gay community, one being an ex of mine who is getting married very soon to her GF.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Situational homosexuality

Situational homosexuality and pseudohomosexuality are nothing new, nor are declarations of one's same sex attraction in pop songs exactly novel (anyone remember Beavis and Butthead watching Jill Sobule's "I Kissed a Girl" a dozen years ago?).  The current popular phenomenon of pseudohomosexuality among young women (I hesitate to use the word "meme" here, but a few of us are thinking it) associated with Katy Perry's song isn't all that different than straight teenage boys adopting styles of dress and behaviors from homosexual men in England during the heyday of Glam Rock.  Those young men were attempting to stick out in the crowd and attract (dun, dun, dunnnn!) girls.  Surely, a few of them found that they actually enjoyed kissing boys and when the fashions fell out of favor, they kept the behavior.  The odds are that the fad aspect will flame out in time, but we can hope the actual female/female couples will feel a little bit more comfortable about being physically affectionate in public as a result.  I say this not just because female/female kissing is much, much sexier when both participants are really into it, but because every couple/polyamourous grouping/what have you should be able to be physically affectionate in public.  I mean real couple/grouping/what have yous, just to be clear.  Where everybody has the same number of chromosomes and everyone's within the correct guidelines for consent and incest avoidance, whatever those might be in your state.  They aren't standardized, so check before you travel.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Achilles308
User is offlineOffline
I believe this is the article

I believe this is the article that was mentioned... "Song doesn't live up to lyrics" by Ann Powers in the Chicago Tribune - originally published in the Los Angeles Times

(Interestingly enough, here is the original article from Ann Powers of Los Angeles Times...)

Oh and anytime you're asked for a nagger password (usually newspaper sites...) use www.bugmenot.com and stick it to em! (paid content sites generally aren't supported)

As the public service announcement for today... their sister site www.retailmenot.com is pretty good for online retail coupons Laughing out loud

Hope some of that helped...

EDIT: I had to share this comment on youtube to the music video.

darksilence357
"I kissed a girl and I liked it
She pulled my panties down and we dyked it."

I'm not sure if that helps... but I thought it was funny.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:This

greek goddess wrote:

This past summer, I began coming out to friends as bisexual, <SNIP>

Bisexual = Greedy. Pick a gender, damn it!

Seriously, it's not a big deal unless you make it so.

The media......

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Uh-oh. I feel guilty, all

Uh-oh. I feel guilty, all those boobs of the day turned you half gay! Seriously though, unless you are sexually repressed or morally brainwashed and think hotdogs and donuts are the only things that ever go together in the "natural world" then I can see someone having a problem with it. In my experience it doesn't really matter at all, what someone's sexual orientation is, as long as they don't make it a big deal. Good for you to be comfortable enough to say it out loud in public, and by public I mean, teh internetz. Jk. Although as for that song, that is a strange phenomenon. My girlfriend hates it, and she told me a similar scenario about what happens when they play it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Peace GG.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who's Tila Tequila?Anyway,

Who's Tila Tequila?

Anyway, in your very ancestry, there was an attitude in society that you might find enlightening and maybe helpful.  For Greek boys, it was considered normal to experience the "joys of youth" before getting married and having kids.  In a lot of cases, the joys of youth consisted of exploring sexuality with other boys.  This was considered a phase which ought to be enjoyed before a man had to give up his youthful freedom and get down to the business of making babies with a woman.  In some circles, sex with men was considered superior to sex with women.  Also notable is the fact that many married adult men still went out of their way to occasionally help a few boys along in their youthful exuberance.

I'm not trying to advocate adult/child sex.  Far from it.  What I'm trying to do is show you that the attitude of experimentation is nothing new.  Not only is it not nothing new, it hardly traces from the 60s either, unless you mean 60,000 years ago!  Youth is about discovery and experimentation because you don't know as much when you're young as you do when you're old.  Duh.  Furthermore, experimentation has always been something adults have still liked.  Thus, the adults in ancient Greece who still liked the occasional boy toy.

Rich Woods and I have been having a cross-thread conversation about nonmonogamy as a viable lifestyle, and I think it bears directly on your situation.  In both ancient Greece and modern America, there has been an expectation of "settling" on one person to marry, and this expectation has extended to gender choice.  Everyone is expected to choose their gender and make a commitment to one person for the rest of their life.  If you're fifty and still "experimenting" with both genders, that makes you immature or reckless or untrustworthy, or something else bad.

So if you like messing around with women from time to time, what's the harm in messing around with women from time to time as long as you feel that urge?  Trust me -- you can find men who will be ok with it.  If anything, I think the main harm in our media's portrayal of the bisexual phenomenon is in assuming that it's just a fad, or a phase of growth, or reckless youthful fun.

Do I think it's bad to have a fad that "forces" girls to kiss other girls at drunken parties?  Nah.  So what if it does?  Swapping saliva may give them mono or something, but aside from that, it's not likely to drastically change their sexual preference.  Christians are the ones under the impression that any homosexual experimentation will horribly scar a person and confuse them beyond any hope of getting wet from making out with a guy again.  Those of us who have studied human sexuality realize that affecting a gay persona, or kissing the same sex at a party, or even (heaven forbid!) losing track of which hand belongs to which sex at a couch makeout, are all basically harmless behaviors.  The only time such behaviors cause problems is when someone has been indoctrinated into the belief that sex is a single choice and that we can only be straight, gay, or bi.

I know it seems weird for my to imply that there's something beyond straight, gay or bi, but there is.  That's because sexuality isn't just about the male part moving in and out of the female part.  Our genes are obsessed with sex.  They insinuate sex into just about every aspect of our existence.  Because we as a culture don't understand human nature, we think of sex as an isolated thing we do when we're turned on, but the mechanics of sexual interaction are FAR more complex, and far more pervasive in our everyday life.  Sex is everywhere.  Groups of men can sit in the same room and get giddy about watching muscle bound monstrosities in banana hammocks rub their bodies all over each other while pretending to fight.  (Yes, wrestling is homoerotic.  Get over it.)  Women can get together and have lingerie parties or sex toy parties while pretending that it's all about making their sex lives with their men more satisfying.  (Women, don't believe for a minute that there aren't women at those parties who get excited from watching the woman demonstrate how the toys work.  And that time when you were playing around and showed everyone that you can deep throat a dildo?  Some of the women thought that was hot.)  None of this means that any particular man secretly wants to butt-fuck a man because he likes wrestling, or that a woman secretly wants to scissor her neighbor's wife because they giggled and drank wine while playing with a double dildo.  It means that sex is mental much more than physical, and every day, we have a lot of non-intercourse sexual interactions with people of both sexes.  The fact that they necessarily occur between all sex combinations doesn't mean that everybody's bi.  It means that sex is everywhere.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

OmegaSupreme
OmegaSupreme's picture
User is offlineOffline
In/out motion of a rigid object.

Today we will analyze the in/out motion of a rigid object.  Tomorrow we show Uranus is a black hole.

You had me at "WTF?"

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure no one here would

I'm sure no one here would agree but just as "Christ" themes in "Christmas" come off to non-believers as pushy, aren't homosexual themes from entertainment sources just as pushy towards those who don't share in the same ideals or choices?

You're going to live as you wish so there isn't any point to trying to explain how I feel about the subject, but honestly, why isn't there consideration given to the other side of the argument?  Or is this only going to be a self-centered argument about "doing what you feel is good," like those women you describe, Godess, in the clubs? 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think we should all chip

I think we should all chip in and get razorphreak a hooker. He seems to forget that he's a guy since he opposes two girls making out.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm sure no one here

Quote:
I'm sure no one here would agree but just as "Christ" themes in "Christmas" come off to non-believers as pushy

...?

Uh. Not for me, personally. If you guys want to celebrate a traditionally pagan holiday by celebrating the imaginary birth of your imaginary friend, be my guest.

Quote:
aren't homosexual themes from entertainment sources just as pushy towards those who don't share in the same ideals or choices?

And see, here's where these things called 'facts' are important:

It's a fact that homosexuality isn't unusual or unnatural, its a fact that homosexuality isn't depraved or disgusting and it's a fact that people claiming to be 'offended' by such behavior are actually just trying to claim special status for their ridiculous delusions (See: Yourself).

Quote:
why isn't there consideration given to the other side of the argument?

...Why the fuck should there be? 'I'm offended by X, so nobody else should ever be able to enjoy X or display X!' is an absurd demand. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to (Example: I don't find homosexual male sex erotic, personally, so - and this might be really just out there, but - I don't fucking watch it). Explain how it is being 'inconsiderate' to you. Are gays coming into your home and forcing you to watch the 'I Kissed a Girl' music video? Have you been tied-up by lesbians and dragged to a club where you were forced to watch them make-out (Aside: GG, my birthday is in February, and this would make an excellent gift for me. Smiling )?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the answer here is 'no'.

Quote:
Or is this only going to be a self-centered argument about "doing what you feel is good," like those women you describe, Godess, in the clubs?

Yeah, that's more or less it (Which, just by the way, makes a tad more sense than 'doing what you feel your imaginary friend wants you to do'). Odd that you claim it's 'selfish', though, given that consensual sexual experiences are typically mutually altruistic affairs between multiple people.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
2 fun bi hookers , that will

2 fun bi hookers , that will change his mind ....  

Jello
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:I'm sure

razorphreak wrote:

I'm sure no one here would agree but just as "Christ" themes in "Christmas" come off to non-believers as pushy, aren't homosexual themes from entertainment sources just as pushy towards those who don't share in the same ideals or choices?

You're going to live as you wish so there isn't any point to trying to explain how I feel about the subject, but honestly, why isn't there consideration given to the other side of the argument?  Or is this only going to be a self-centered argument about "doing what you feel is good," like those women you describe, Godess, in the clubs? 

Scissor me timbers, what's so bad about doing what you feel is good? As long as you're not hurting anyone, nothing! If you feel that stomping on puppies is good, then I take issue, but unless you can give me a good argument for how same sex loving is hurting anyone, then fuck off. And die.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:
Here's a big hint: The entertainment industry at large does what folks pay money for. If you dislike what they're up to, don't pay 'em.

Second big hint: The War on Christmas doesn't exist. Only a few snotty twits have fits over folks celebrating the make-believe birth of a make-believe savior - and they tend to be wearing really big pentacles. We sensible types just don't give a shit.

razorphreak wrote:
What other side? Oh, you mean your fictional god making fictional moral demands.

I could happily skip that crap. But if you really have a point to make, feel free.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
To correct Jill, the War on

To correct Jill, the War on Christmas does exist, and was started by this site. It was in response to asshats like Bill O'Reilly who came up with the term.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
War on Christmas

Could someone show me where in the bible it says anything about celebrating Christmass, or St.Nickelus, or December 25th, or yuletide, or yule log, reindeer, or the quote "peace on earth good will toward men".  

I can find these references in Zoraostrianism with the whorship of Mithra (idealized one) and with the whorship of Thor and even in the Celtic religious Druidisim. But not in Christianity.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
rethink

I forgot to mention Santa Claus, mistletoe, exchanging gifts, boxing day, pointsettas, hallmark cards, snow, twelve days of the winter soltice, goose dinners (celtic) or turkey (native American) feasts. is any of this Christian:   NO,  anything but.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:To correct

MattShizzle wrote:
To correct Jill, the War on Christmas does exist, and was started by this site. It was in response to asshats like Bill O'Reilly who came up with the term.
To correct Matt, the RRS's endchristmas.com (now defunct) mocks the (highly mock-able) idea of a war on Christmas, and isn't really an attempt to, you know, end Christmas.

Christmas will crap out on its own like most silly make-believe rituals.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Razorphreak has somewhat

Razorphreak has somewhat hijacked this thread, but GG did want opinions and he does have an opinion on the matter.

People forcing their choices on you and being pushy, like " homosexual themes from entertainment sources just as pushy towards those who don't share in the same ideals or choices?" are totally separate things. Being pushy in the sense you are meaning it is basically saying, "hey, I am bi, deal with it, I am not going to stop being bi or gay because you disagree with it."

This is what right wingnuts like OReilly and Hannity talk about when they say the "gay agenda" is trying to forcefeed their values on people. That is ridiculous. It sounds pretty similar to when black and white people had interacial relationships and might kiss in public and people would say they were trying to "rub everyone's nose in it." Its a perception problem on the part of the bigoted perceiver.

If you want to say you don't want to see two ugly hetersexual people make out in public, I totally agree, the same as I would for two ugly guys or girls etc. Watching people make out for the most part really isn't appealing,  but thats different from saying they are being pushy about it. Unless two guys come up to and say, "watch us make out or you a bigoted asshole" then they aren't really being pushy. The problem lies in the perception that homosexuality is wrong, or unnatural, or pick your derogatory adjective...not the actual act of affection. Seeing two hetero people kiss in public is quite natural, but it can still be a sexual act, it is just seen as the norm.

If you are saying shows like "queer eye for the straight guy" are people trying to force their values and style on either people then that is separate point, and a somewhat valid one. Of course the people on those shows agree to be on them and be criticized for the things that the "guys" supposedly know better about.

The real "gay agenda" involves people trying to be accepted by society for a sexual orientation that they didn't choose(in most cases) and rebranding homosexuality as normal and natural, not unnatural and immoral as many societies have done.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:
FUN!  First, you're a bigot.  Don't try to hide from it.  Come out and be proud; feel all the shame you should.  Homosexuality is not a choice.  The ideals pushed by homosexual themes in entertainment would be an end to bigotry and sexual repression.  I can at least understand how you could perceive that as pushy, since, presumably, you wish to remain a bigot and to sexually repress people.

razorphreak wrote:
You're going to live as you wish so there isn't any point to trying to explain how I feel about the subject, but honestly, why isn't there consideration given to the other side of the argument?
There is no 'other side of the argument.'

razorphreak wrote:
Or is this only going to be a self-centered argument about "doing what you feel is good," like those women you describe, Godess, in the clubs?
Doing what feels good, razorphreak, is usually a good idea.  I assume you don't do much, unbegrudgingly, unless it does feel good.  Of course, homosexuality does feel good to homosexuals.  Being a repressesd, marginalized minority facing bigotry and societal inequality feels bad.  You can draw the circle.

I wonder, though, was your post rhetorical?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:Do you

greek goddess wrote:
Do you think that the increase of allusions to homosexuality/bisexuality/pseudo-homosexuality in the media are helpful or harmful for public acceptance?
Any exposure would serve to illuminate homosexuality and general sexuality.  That can be a good thing, but it can be double edged.

Quote:
The experience cannot be cheapened.  It is what it is.

Quote:
For the most part the portrayals are inaccurate, stereotypical and typically comical.  It would appear that this is changing, slowly.

Quote:
Hah!  I neither like nor dislike it.  I just wonder why they pretend at all... though I don't care very much.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess wrote:I guess

greek goddess wrote:

I guess my questions for discussion in this vein are: Do you think that the increase of allusions to homosexuality/bisexuality/pseudo-homosexuality in the media are helpful or harmful for public acceptance? Do you think the "trendiness" of bisexuality encourages others to come out, or cheapens the experience for those who actually do identify with this orientation? What do you think of portrayals of people that identify with these orientations in the media? Do you like or dislike the fact that girls in clubs are running around pretending they are lesbian/bisexual when they actually aren't? And feel free to add any other comments that may be relevant. I don't have too many specific questions on the subject, but I just wanted to start a general discussion to see where others stand. 

There seems to be a trend among the LGBT community to seek validation from mainstream media personae such as Katy Perry or Tia Tequila. I don't think these individuals either hurt or help homosexuals. IMO Tia Tequila and Katy Perry in scantily clad sexy attire would more likely evoke male heterosexual masturbation rather than help forward the cause for homosexuals. I'm all for freedom of expression in the media but I fail to see how these individuals help you. Why should these folks be the torch bearers for a group that is oppressed? I recently read an article about the gay atheist SF writer Arthur C. Clarke who wrote masterpieces such as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Wouldn't he be a better choice for LGBT community? Or is it because he's to "geeky" and "not sexy" like Tia or Katy that he doesn't help individuals come out?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:Scissor me

Jello wrote:

Scissor me timbers,

Scissor?

All this time I thought it was "shiver".  haha

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Jello

Watcher wrote:

Jello wrote:

Scissor me timbers,

Scissor?

All this time I thought it was "shiver".  haha

It's a South Park reference. I thought it would be appropriate for this thread.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Damn me and my lack of

Damn me and my lack of current popular culture recognization!

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Don't watch the whole video

Don't watch the whole video I posted, it's a bit grating, the editing is shit, the sound is distorted, it's a crappy video. Even South Park's funniness is dulled by how shittily put together that video is.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What the hell is

What the hell is 'scissoring'?

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
please tell me your kidding

please tell me your kidding cptn.  if your not go to google and look up scissoring and girls and go to the images area >_>

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:What the

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Just watch the southpark video and you'll find out what it is.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:greek goddess

ragdish wrote:

greek goddess wrote:

There seems to be a trend among the LGBT community to seek validation from mainstream media personae such as Katy Perry or Tia Tequila. I don't think these individuals either hurt or help homosexuals. IMO Tia Tequila and Katy Perry in scantily clad sexy attire would more likely evoke male heterosexual masturbation rather than help forward the cause for homosexuals. I'm all for freedom of expression in the media but I fail to see how these individuals help you. Why should these folks be the torch bearers for a group that is oppressed? I recently read an article about the gay atheist SF writer Arthur C. Clarke who wrote masterpieces such as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Wouldn't he be a better choice for LGBT community? Or is it because he's to "geeky" and "not sexy" like Tia or Katy that he doesn't help individuals come out?

People talk about LGBT people using the word 'community'.  It's really no better than when people generalize about Atheists.  I seek no validation from mainstream media personae.  I don't think gays in general do.  I resent the idea of 'community' in the sense portrayed.  We are as united as Atheists and similarly by only one thing.  Being gay does not entail anything other than being gay.

Not that I'm picking on you, ragdish.  I'm just pointing it out.

BigUniverse wrote,

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Just watch the southpark video and you'll find out what it is.

It reminded me why I don't watch South Park.

I'm going to throw up now.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:ragdish

Thomathy wrote:

ragdish wrote:

greek goddess wrote:

People talk about LGBT people using the word 'community'.  It's really no better than when people generalize about Atheists.  I seek no validation from mainstream media personae.  I don't think gays in general do.  I resent the idea of 'community' in the sense portrayed.  We are as united as Atheists and similarly by only one thing.  Being gay does not entail anything other than being gay.

Not that I'm picking on you, ragdish.  I'm just pointing it out.

You're right. "Community" is a bad choice of a word considering LGBT are indeed diverse as are atheists. There are staunch conservative log cabin Republicans at one end and lesbian radical feminists at the other. Indeed, homosexuals are quite ideologically diverse and should not be pigeonholed into a distinct group. And this is indeed the point I was unsuccessfully trying to get across as to whether the "trendiness" of Tia Tequila or Katy Perry encourages individuals to come out. Katy Perry's video "I kissed girl" made this male heterosexual incredibly horny and I think that was the intent of the video. I'm not gay and I'm sure that the psychodynamics that are involved in coming out are quite complex and unique for each individual. I would say the same thing for an individual who becomes atheist. Yet I fail to see how images which IMO are geared to a male heterosexual audience help foster the process of coming out.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
ragdish wrote:You're right.

ragdish wrote:
You're right. "Community" is a bad choice of a word considering LGBT are indeed diverse as are atheists. There are staunch conservative log cabin Republicans at one end and lesbian radical feminists at the other. Indeed, homosexuals are quite ideologically diverse and should not be pigeonholed into a distinct group. And this is indeed the point I was unsuccessfully trying to get across as to whether the "trendiness" of Tia Tequila or Katy Perry encourages individuals to come out. Katy Perry's video "I kissed girl" made this male heterosexual incredibly horny and I think that was the intent of the video. I'm not gay and I'm sure that the psychodynamics that are involved in coming out are quite complex and unique for each individual. I would say the same thing for an individual who becomes atheist. Yet I fail to see how images which IMO are geared to a male heterosexual audience help foster the process of coming out.
They don't.  'Least not directly.  It's possible that they encourage more sexual freedom; the song is sexually overt.  That might make it easier for society to accept someone when they come out, but I can't see these caricatures and the 'trendiness' encouraging anyone to come out. 

Actually, perhaps the overt sexuality and obvious appeal to male heterosexuals, while encouraging sexual freedom, make it more difficult for someone to come out: if pretty girls making out with pretty girls becomes the media 'face' of gay it could make it more difficult for non-stereotypical gays to come out.  That is, 'It's okay, she's hot.'  Just like, because of the media, we have 'It's okay, he's incredibly flamboyant.'  No one should wonder why when boys come out of the closet they act as 'gay' as they can, even I did -glitters and all.  I have no doubt that if the media impression of gays had exposed more people to non-flamboyant gays I could have come out without the, ugh, show.  And no, Will and Grace is not a good example of non-stereotyped gays.  Really, there are very few or none in the media.

(Hmm... thread jacking.  I'm sorry... kind of.  It's still relevant, right?)

BigUniverse wrote,

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to say something to

I have to say something to prolong my awake-ness until the next student I'm tutoring gets out of lab.

People making out in clubs - All too normal. I carry a thing of antiseptic mouth-spray, for what it's worth, to fight oral infections. I've yet to get anything, but then that could just be the girls I make out with. Though I still don't know how anyone can stand to make out with stubbly-hair-type guys.

Media's treatment of sexuality - Sometimes it's okay. Some of the first season of Torchwood was hot, but just as much of it was like so much bad slash-fic, ifyouknowwhatImean. It definitely helps to increase acceptance when it's portrayed correctly.

Choice? I think this has been pretty well covered in the research. People are attracted to who they're attracted to. I can't bring myself to be attracted to guys any more than a koala can turn down bamboo. That's what they eat, right? I need to sleep.

Trendiness - Meh. I can't speak for women in this case as I haven't given it much thought. I don't see too many guys being peer pressured into acts of fabulousness, though I'm not above and actually rather enjoy incorporating traditionally feminine elements into my daily costume. Eyeliner, nail-paint, the occasional corset, and if I'm feeling particularly cracked I may just throw on a dress if I'm headed to a place where that wouldn't be out of place. Personally, I take just about everything in stride and try to have fun with it.

Acceptance - I'm against sexual repression in general. It should be celebrated. I never use the words whore, hoe, or slut except in jest (usually aimed at guys or myself). To use it in a serious context would be rather hypocritical of me.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think anyone is 100%

I don't think anyone is 100% straight or homosexual. I'm far more attracted to women than I am to men, so I'm probably about 90-95% straight. The idea of having sex with a man doesn't really appeal to me, in fact the very thought of putting my penis in another mans arse (or even worse vice-versa) is a real turn off. Nontheless I sometimes find myself attracted to some men. Whatever your sexual orientation is, it's entirely natural, just live and get on with it (unless you're a paedo in which case you should probably look into the possibility of chemical castration).

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

(unless you're a paedo in which case you should probably look into the possibility of chemical castration).

What is a paedo?  Did you mean pedophile?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
article

Here is a piece I wrote about the sorry state of relationships & what hypocrites people can be...it's kind of applicable

http://www.kasidie.com/static/magazine/2008/09/do-as-we-say.html

Hope you dig it.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Jacob

Watcher wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

(unless you're a paedo in which case you should probably look into the possibility of chemical castration).

What is a paedo?  Did you mean pedophile?

Yep, he did.  "Paedophilia" is the spelling in non-American English.  Hence the derogatory nickname "Paedo".

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If I was a chick I totally

If I was a chick I totally would make out with Greek Goddess. Oh wait, I still would as a guy, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Latest

This really happened...I'll cut & Paste the article because its fairly short...I con't beleive this is the same species as us:

By The Associated Press

BLACKLICK, Ohio  --  A church in the Columbus area is turning heads with its public spin on the pop song "I Kissed a Girl."

A sign outside Havens Corners Church in suburban Blacklick has the lyrics from the song's chorus, "I kissed a girl and I liked it" -- and adds, "Then I went to hell."

Singer Katy Perry topped the charts earlier this summer with the song, about a girl kissing another girl.

Church pastor Rev. Dave Allison says the Bible is clear that homosexuality is a sin, so the sign is intended as a loving warning to teens.

He says it has confused some people who either don't know the song or don't understand the message.

Director Lynne Bowman with the gay rights group Equality Ohio says what the sign means to her is that the church isn't very accepting

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What a bunch of dillholes.

What a bunch of dillholes. If they posted enough of the lyrics could she sue them for copyright infingement? After all, they are using her work for advertising without her permission.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Here is a piece I

Quote:
Here is a piece I wrote about the sorry state of relationships & what hypocrites people can be...it's kind of applicable

http://www.kasidie.com/static/magazine/2008/09/do-as-we-say.html

Hope you dig it.

Heh.  I do dig it.  I particularly like the bit about preferring a starring role in a snuff film.  In all fairness, I should add that I think you could substitute about fifty different subjects in your article, and it still would have been relevant and coherent.  The main issue is not sexualityl.  It's really just about looking at the facts, reaching a rational conclusion, and then acting upon it.  I'm not so much for swinging as a lifestyle as I am against culturally enforced monogamy.  There's just no basis for it that I can find.   Sanctity of marriage, my ass.

Anyway, I didn't actually have a point to make.  Just wanted to say that I liked the article.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the song succeeded

I think the song succeeded partly because of the "shock" factor.

I have a different take on it...because our country is in many ways way too Politically Correct and sexually repressed, young adults find it exciting to experiment and are rallied by songs like this. Of course there are the usual ditzy girls who think it's SO HOT to make out for their guy friends, but most of that's fake and playful. However, I think a lot of it is more sincere than we recognize. People usually don't do things "taboo" without a motive, besides the simplistic "Because it gets me attention".

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Finally, everyone who

Finally, everyone who dislikes pop music can take solace in the fact that, unlike most other genres, it contributes nothing whatsoever to the body of historically significant cultural media.

max32
User is offlineOffline
Katy Perry's song is getting

Katy Perry's song is getting young women to see that is cool to do whatever they feel. If two girls want to make out on a dance floor who am I to stop them?...lol

I admit I love seeing it in the clubs and my girlfriend and I love to also play pick out the real bisexuals. Most of the girls doing this are not as my girlfriend puts it "real bisexuals" they are just experimenting with same sex sexual intimacy. Kissing or touching each other on the dance floor does not make them bisexual..its just fun.

We see this as a good thing. This country has been trapped in puritan hell for to long. The people in this country are so sexually repressed that we over obsess with sex. So I say its great that they are taking a more healthy view of sex by experimenting. Not to mention we both love watching them have fun at the clubs.