Thorough Light pattern analysis

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thorough Light pattern analysis

Light patterns appears all around the world in last years. They appear on the place regularly for minutes, hours or days, and then suddenly stop appearing there.
Two weeks ago, the light patterns appeared in a city not far from here, and a co-worker of local self-development club took a photographs of them. I will now show you a few of these photographs and show why this case of light patterns can't be a normal reflection of sun light in windows. It seems that many of these cases are reflections from windows, but doesn't behave as a reflected light.I will try to provide some scientific comments on this.

Place: Czech Republic, city of Novy Jicin (the street and number is obscured because of privacy purposes)
Time: it appeared regularly from 6:00 - 7:30 AM, in three days, 9, 10 and 11 of August 2008.
The sunrise time for 10. 8. 2008 is 5:22 AM.

The place:
[img=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6414/lpatternsiteqn7.th.jpg]

Exact time: (to show you, that it was really photographed early in the morning)

To display this for yourself, download the package of original photographs below, get a program like Irfan View, have the EXIF info plugin installed and then display the image properties.

As you see, the wall on which the light patterns appeared, is shaded by the building itself, and several blocks of flats around. This is why the sun can not shine there by any means, until about 8 AM. The sun simply wasn't yet on the sky.
The woman who photographed this, initially considered this effect as a reflection from windows, but then she realized, that the sun was still low in that time.
She also observed the light patterns to disappear immediately in one second, while the sun was still shining. The patterns appeared only for these three days, in that time, never before and never after.
Exactly the same thing is observed all around the world, the place stays the same, but the so-called "reflection" is suddenly not there.

The original photographs (with the pictures above) can be downloaded here:
light_patterns.zip
It's not an english file hosting, so if you don't know what to do, click at the link, and below there's a picture of numbers/letters which you're supposed to write into a rectangle next to it. Then click at the orange button just below.
Total number of the photographs is 16, I picked 4 of them, they're very similar.

If this case of light patterns convinced you or not, it will be greatly welcomed if you can provide any materials about your own observations. Most helpful would be, if someone would stand directly in front of the light pattern. The photographs and people's reports suggests that not, but a direct experience would be the best. If you ever happen to see these light patterns, first do it and then go for a camera, please.
These light patterns are unpredictable. Though there are theories about how a difference in temperature inside and outside can bend the glass, the patterns appear independently on a number of windows, sun position, time of the day, state, city/suburb, temperature, weather, year season, and so on. The only dependent variable seems to be this historical period since 1997.

Here's a very interesting quote from this web page, with promised scientist's opinion:
http://www.cdk.si/grz/sv_krogi_e.htm
----------------------

How to explain this phenomenon?

There has been no satisfying scientific explanation for this phenomenon so far. Certain theses, however, occur:

- circular reflection is due to the concave surface of a windowpane; the form X in the middle of the circle is due to the interference caused by the light reflection
A scientist's - physicist's comment:
The concavity of a windowpane would have to be considerable, a few milimetres, depending on the
distance of the reflection and size of the glass sheet, what is not observed in practice. Forces, which would cause such bending deformations, e.g. due to the pressure against the window frame, would have to be very strong. The next issue is, that sheets of glass are not completely flat but slightly wavy, what normally adds to further dispelling of light. The result is that, normally, there is no clear reflection at longer distances anymore. This 'waveness' of windowpanes is not uniform, but random (it originates from solidifying of glass) and it is therefore unlikely that this would cause any straight interference. At the same time the sunlight is not coherent enough to cause coherence on such a large scale (its coherent length is 1 micrometer), so that all internal structures inside circular reflection can, from a physical point of view, be caused by mere focussing of light.
Our comment: this thesis raises at least three questions for which there are no answers yet: (i) why would the concave surfaces appear in such masses just lately (ii) why would light circles appear in some cases as reflections from some windowpanes only and sometimes as reflections from all windows of a building (iii) why there appears, if a windowpane's surface is concave, an additional form, in most cases a bright X, in the centre of a round reflection? Furthermore this thesis does not consider reflections in the form of a rhomb or an octagon.

- the phenomena are projected by reflectors
Comment: everyone can see for him/herself, that the phenomena occur due to the reflection of
sunrays from ordinary sheets of glass.

- the creation of the phenomena is similar to that of crop circles
Comment: people having experiences with both phenomena do report on similar subjective and energetic effects as with the crop circles. With their brilliance, beauty, simplicity and uniqueness they create a sense of awe and excitement.

We would very much appreciate any comments from your part on this phenomenon. We also invite you to investigate it and its background. The nature of photons and other subatomic particles is still partly a mystery for science today, so any research of these phenomena may contribute to discovery of new laws which are active in the world around us.

----------------------

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not this shit again.  This

Not this shit again.  This has already been explained overly thoroughly in this thread here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, you obviously didn't read a single thing I said so here's a pretty picture version instead.  You can even colour it in if you want.

Now, due to not being at home I can't upload this image to my own host so I'm hotlinking directly from the site.  If the image doesn't show for anyone, simply go to the original website and you can see it (and the article) there.  In fact, go to the website anyway luminon.  It might hurt a braincell or two, but it could double your IQ at the same time.

The website is livescience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luminon wrote:
thingy: If I'm a moron, then you don't have to be the least offended by me. You know, morons aren't worth of any emotions.

But your willingness to choose ignorance does insult me, as I said before.

Luminon wrote:
All right, to show a little bit of healthy scepticism,

I have been.  Yet to see any from you.

Luminon wrote:
it's a nice work with Photoshop of the guys from the livescience.com. Are both these buildings at the same street?

Oh my fucking god.  You have GOT to be fucking kidding me, right?

Luminon wrote:
Anyway, it's not much convincing, if you (or rather I) look closer at it. Notice, that these reflections are not in circles, while almost all on the SI page and these what appeared around here were definitely circular.

Lets try again with the pretty diagrams shall we?  Ok, here's a rectangular mirror with points A, B, C and D marked for your convenience.  You do remember what rectangles are from Sesame Street, don't you?

Now, when you bend a mirror either through air pressure, heat, or just plain force on the middle of it these will be the deepest points.

Here I show some rough depth lines.  Remember, this is all done in MS paint to make it as simple for you as I possibly can.

When you shine a directed light source at a concave object, the can converge at a certain point and then disperse again.  Lets place our wall at that point while we're at it.

One of the results of the concaving of the rectangular window as well as the object being reflected on to being at the right angle and distance away therefore, would be a concentration of light as depicted by the red area of this picture.

And there you have those "mysterious" X's of yours.  Grade school physics here, mate.

I don't know if you can remember back far enough to me mentioning points A, B, C and D - it may have been too long ago.  Anyway, I labeled some points on the original rectangle.  Points B and D will be shallower, they will not be angled in as much as points A and C.  Therefore, they will not concentrate light as much as points A and C.  This will create a rounding affect as depicted in purple here.

Well fuck me dead, it's that damned circle you're so fond of.  So what happens when we combine both of these affects as you would get from a rectangular piece of glass being bent and reflecting sunlight.  The blue shown here will be the original shape of the glass but you won't see that in the reflection.  No, you will see the purple shape, and then much brighter the red shape.

Your mysterious light-ish circles with very bright X's in them, explained.  Now, that wasn't hard was it? 

The circle can't clearly be seen in the livescience picture because the conditions weren't quite right for that to be obvious enough in the pictures - but I assure you it is there.

Luminon wrote:
You say it's a difference in pressures, it's such a difference really so big? If it can suck the window glass in, so it bends, it would have to work even more with people's eardrums.
I haven't ever experienced a difference in pressure when entering a building with an air conditioning.

If you read the livescience article, only a few millimeters bending is needed.  They also mentioned the glass being heated by the sun which causes it to expand.  The pressure differences don't need to be massive to have an affect, especially combined with the expanded glass. 

Luminon wrote:
These reflections appear often in rows, like windows are built, but some in just like a random position, definitely not like a neat row of windows.

Not all buildings are flat, distances between the buildings will affect this as well as small changes in the angle of the windows.

Luminon wrote:
Some cities (like New York, if I remember) are built with a world-sides oriented streets. When the sun is in a good position, these light patterns should be a more common sight than it currently is.

Lets adjust that focus point picture of mine and put the wall further away.

Now lets put it closer.

Well I'll be damned, too far away or too close and the light is too disbursed to create those patterns.  The further away it is the less concaved the window needs to be.  The closer it is the more concaved it needs to be.  The building doesn't have to be right across the street.  What you need is sunlight, a concave surface, AND an object the correct distance away to catch the focal point.

Have you ever played with a magnifying glass?  Ever tried to make paper burn with it?  You need to keep adjusting how far away the magnifying glass and paper are until you get the light focused enough on a small point.  Same thing here.

Luminon wrote:
When it can happen on one building, it can happen on another,there should be at least some semi-formed characteristic reflections, if the circumstances aren't ideal, but just nearing.

Which they do.  Next time you hear of these things appearing, if the following day is going to be sunny as well then go to that point an hour before hand and you'll see them form up.  These photos were all taken at times when they were at or near their best.

Luminon wrote:
How do you explain these reflections can disappear in one moment? It happened here and nobody could shut off a sun or break a window so quickly.

Clouds.  Clouds don't cover the entire sky all the time, they can be quite small.  The sun may be shining where you are and most other things you can see, but blocking the building causing the reflection.  There's many other things that can block it as well as the sun moves (perspective wise) through the sky.

Luminon wrote:
And finally, you see, that some of these "reflections" are quite low on the ground, so anyone can stand in front of them and see the window from which the sun reflection is coming. A reflecting window is distinguishable on kilometers, there should be no problem to see this. Anyone should be able to see from where it's coming. If it would come from a neighbour's new window set, then nobody would really give it a significance. By the way, I have never seen my plastic, quite modern windows reflect anything like that. I would rather say, that the light goes always through, no matter if in the noon or sunset. Does it require a special, polarized glass? Most of buildings doesn't use it, they have normal clear glass (or plastic).

So you're saying when you walk past a building, shop window or a car you have NEVER seen a reflection in the glass?  Most of the light goes through, but some is reflected.

Edit: You've shown in plenty of posts that you have received the education required to explain these lights.  You've shown that you do have the knowledge to do so.  The only reason you can't is that you choose not to.  The fact that you choose not to, it just leaves me flabbergasted.  There's a VERY logical and simple explanation, one simple enough that a grade school kid could understand it, but instead of thinking logically about it you purposefully choose to go right out on left field and declare "NUP!  GOING TO STOP THINKING ABOUT IT COMPLETELY AT THIS POINT FOR NO GOOD REASON! GOD DID IT! END OF STORY!

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was going to say, it has

I was going to say, it has to be a reflection from somewhere west of that building .... catching the sun that is coming from the east...reflecting...

seems pretty common sense to me.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loonynon, you've already won

Loonynon, you've already won a wingnut award this month, you can't get two. Pace yourself.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Loonynon,

JillSwift wrote:

Loonynon, you've already won a wingnut award this month, you can't get two. Pace yourself.

Well, it comes a time where a skeptic doesn't bother to read and just refuses everything. I provided the new stuff, recent case of this phenomenon, where a classic, direct reflection from a window is highly unlikely. I've got an exact place, date, time, photograps, and you provided cynicism. This is, how the free thinking works?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Well, it comes

Luminon wrote:
Well, it comes a time where a skeptic doesn't bother to read and just refuses everything. I provided the new stuff, recent case of this phenomenon, where a classic, direct reflection from a window is highly unlikely. I've got an exact place, date, time, photograps, and you provided cynicism. This is, how the free thinking works?
Oh, I read it.

One thing that's always missing in this particular brand of "thorough analysis" is an overview of conditions, masked by nice maps and pictures of what the "analyst" is focusing on.

As Thingy rather completely pointed out in a post you obviously refused to read - twice! - this "phenomenon" is 100% explainable by regular, every day, no metaphysics, plain reality physics. All that was necessary to see where the light was coming from was to get a proper overview of the scene.

Plus, we have a similar "light pattern" thing here in my city. A large plate glass window on a shop here casts light against the side of a courthouse in the late evening in the summer. The interesting thing is, if the shop is running their air conditioner, there is no pattern to it. If they aren't then the light looks like a big X like the light patterns in the pictures. Why is this? Because the air conditioner is a swamper, meaning it's pushing air into the building, causing the window to bow ever so slightly outward, making it into a convex mirror. When the air conditioning is not running then the window relaxes in its frame, forming a concave mirror. Just as described with such completeness in Thingy's post.

So, why did I not bother to point this out and instead mock you? Well, as a behaviorist I long ago recognized a pattern of behavior from you. Once you've chosen a conclusion you stop paying attention to facts and start constructing "alternate interpretations" for new facts. Even if those interpretations are pure, unadulterated denials. (That would be a reference to your claim that windows don't reflect.)

There is no point at all in trying to get you to see reason.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:JillSwift

Luminon wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

Loonynon, you've already won a this month, you can't get two. Pace yourself.

There is a difference between free thinking and freethinking.

Free thinking (two words) is letting your mind wonder aimlessly to where ever in a goaless manner by fantasizing; sort of like an LSD trip.

Freethinking (one word) is a philosophical viewpoint that holds that beliefs should be formed on the basis of science and logic and should not be influenced by emotion, authority, tradition, or any dogma.

You have not applied the scientific method nor have you used logic.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Not this shit

thingy wrote:

Not this shit again.

Heyyyy, isn't there s'pposed ta be a kitty picture with that???

Seriously though, thanks for the illumination, thingy !

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline

Luminon wrote:

Luminon, you're killing me. The classic, direct reflection producing an X and a circle is so easy to demonstrate that I can't even fathom why this persists as a mystery to you. Thingy has gone well beyond the call of duty to explain in detail how simple reflection is not only the simplest, but the most probable explanation. There is no mystery here at all.

Help me out, here. If you can find these light patterns happening, take lots of pictures and note the position of the sun. Now draw some straight lines from the sun to the surfaces in question. (The light could conceivably reflect off of more than one building, remember.)

There are plenty of legitimate mysteries to uncover, but this isn't one of them. I encourage you to read up on optics - it's a fascinating area of study.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Luminon

HisWillness wrote:
Luminon wrote:
Luminon, you're killing me. The classic, direct reflection producing an X and a circle is so easy to demonstrate that I can't even fathom why this persists as a mystery to you. Thingy has gone well beyond the call of duty to explain in detail how simple reflection is not only the simplest, but the most probable explanation. There is no mystery here at all. Help me out, here. If you can find these light patterns happening, take lots of pictures and note the position of the sun. Now draw some straight lines from the sun to the surfaces in question. (The light could conceivably reflect off of more than one building, remember.) There are plenty of legitimate mysteries to uncover, but this isn't one of them. I encourage you to read up on optics - it's a fascinating area of study.

I should probably post again the quote, because you seem to not read it, but it's important.
Quote:
- circular reflection is due to the concave surface of a windowpane; the form X in the middle of the circle is due to the interference caused by the light reflection
A scientist's - physicist's comment:
The concavity of a windowpane would have to be considerable, a few milimetres, depending on the
distance of the reflection and size of the glass sheet, what is not observed in practice. Forces, which would cause such bending deformations, e.g. due to the pressure against the window frame, would have to be very strong. The next issue is, that sheets of glass are not completely flat but slightly wavy, what normally adds to further dispelling of light. The result is that, normally, there is no clear reflection at longer distances anymore. This 'waveness' of windowpanes is not uniform, but random (it originates from solidifying of glass) and it is therefore unlikely that this would cause any straight interference. At the same time the sunlight is not coherent enough to cause coherence on such a large scale (its coherent length is 1 micrometer), so that all internal structures inside circular reflection can, from a physical point of view, be caused by mere focussing of light.
Our comment: this thesis raises at least three questions for which there are no answers yet: (i) why would the concave surfaces appear in such masses just lately (ii) why would light circles appear in some cases as reflections from some windowpanes only and sometimes as reflections from all windows of a building (iii) why there appears, if a windowpane's surface is concave, an additional form, in most cases a bright X, in the centre of a round reflection? Furthermore this thesis does not consider reflections in the form of a rhomb or an octagon.

All right, the list of why it's unusual phenomenon.
1) the patterns on photographs are anomalous, because there wasn't the sun on the sky yet, so there was no way it could be reflected. We discussed it with the woman who photographed it, and it was obvious.
2) it remained there for three days always in that time when the sun was too low on east.
3) it disappeared in one second. Clouds aren't that fast. It also never appeared there before or after.
Generally,
4) As it's written in that quote, the reflections wouldn't keep such a coherence on a longer distance. The reflection would ampifly itself and lose on luminosity greatly, unless the other building is in the point of focus. A mere window reflection can't have a coherence nearing a laser beam. The fact, that it occurs so frequently and worldwidely, is amazing.
5) the reflections are unpredictable by date, time, sun position, temperature, season of year, number of windows around, and a geographic position. (of course, not counting a natural, regularly present window reflections which JillSwift mentioned) The only criteria for their occurence seems to be
a) sun shining
b) time period since 1997 till today, in increasing frequency.
6) there are photographed reflections in a rhomb and octagon shape.
7) the reflections doesn't often match a number and positions of windows they're supposed to be reflected from. They're so notable, that people remembers that never such a thing was on their wall.
Cool this is rather personal, but at least three co-workers of our group had seen such a pattern appearing either near their home, or for such a moment than only they could see it. It may be a coincidence, but there's much more of coincidences like that around. It seems to be a part of recent worldwide occurence of miracles, which unprecedented in human history by it's frequence, diversity and influence on human worldview.

HisWillness wrote:
There are plenty of legitimate mysteries to uncover, but this isn't one of them.
I mentioned the worldwide Hindu milk miracle a couple of times, and it seemed to cause a deafening silence on this topic.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
This is getting pathetic.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:This is

magilum wrote:
No it isn't. It was pathetic long, long ago. It is getting more pathetic, though, and I predict it will become more pathetic with each passing second until the heat death of the universe.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

magilum
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:magilum

JillSwift wrote:

magilum wrote:
No it isn't. It was pathetic long, long ago. It is getting more pathetic, though, and I predict it will become more pathetic with each passing second until the heat death of the universe.

Word to that.

This is just the same mind-numbingly inane thread, plus some random quotes about personal incredulity from apparently desperate, grasping people. Casting the explanation into greater question, which was unsuccessfully attempted here, doesn't push us toward a preferred explanation; especially one that, due to the very singularness of its definition, cannot be considered scientific. That is, if such a "miracle" can be reliably duplicated in ways that preclude the staggeringly obvious reflection explanation, we might have something to discuss. But the moment we explain it, it ceases to be a "miracle" because a miracle is, by definition, an argument from ignorance and something not explained. So there's no way of scientifically proving a "miracle," because the evidence would end up being a lack of explanation, which precludes it being scientific.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Word to

magilum wrote:
Word to that.

This is just the same mind-numbingly inane thread, plus some random quotes about personal incredulity from apparently desperate, grasping people. Casting the explanation into greater question, which was unsuccessfully attempted here, doesn't push us toward a preferred explanation; especially one that, due to the very singularness of its definition, cannot be considered scientific.

So, scientific means to be explained by a knowledge we already have? Or does it mean to push limits of our knowledge, in order to explain something? I think, that fanatic attempting for the first possibility is a way to ignorance, circular explanations, and superficial understanding of the world.

magilum wrote:
That is, if such a "miracle" can be reliably duplicated in ways that preclude the staggeringly obvious reflection explanation, we might have something to discuss.
Are you whacked on head, or what? If it's a reflection or not, that's not a question. It is a reflection, which has very special characteristics, (already summarized) which can not be created by a mere reflection.

magilum wrote:
But the moment we explain it, it ceases to be a "miracle" because a miracle is, by definition, an argument from ignorance and something not explained. So there's no way of scientifically proving a "miracle," because the evidence would end up being a lack of explanation, which precludes it being scientific.
Don't use the "miracle" word as an escape clause. The purpose here is not to explain everything for every price, nor to mark something as a great, unexplainable miracle. The purpose is to realize our ignorance, and thus our knowledge limits, and when we realize our limits, we can push them! I've got a problem with know-it-all people, who skip the details and punish everyone who says "I don't know". (which is one of human rights) The most ignorant people always think they ate all the world's wisdom. The most wise knows, that they know nothing.
Skipping the details and hidden assumptions offers a comfortable "explanation", from which, unfortunately doesn't lead a further way to development. This price is too high. We end up with a worldview, where everything is separated, and with dozens of seemingly unrelated problems, just because we skipped the details, which connects them all.
Wow, I should write an essay about it.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
"- circular reflection is

"- circular reflection is due to the concave surface of a windowpane; the form X in the middle of the circle is due to the interference caused by the light reflection"

This statement alone reveals someone who has no credible understanding of the behavior of light and reflection.

Apart from anything else, any effect involving interference and white light would produce all sorts of color effects, like the reflections from thin films like soap bubbles.

Any further explanations from that source lack any credibility.

EDIT: deflection of a 6 foot pane of glass to produce rough focussing 200 feet away would be about 1 millimeter which would require very modest pressure difference on that size surface. The deflection required for a focus is proportional to the square of the size of the glass - for a 3 foot pane, focus at 200 feet would require about a quarter of a millimeter, at 100 feet less than a 1/8 mm.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: magilum

Luminon wrote:

magilum wrote:
Word to that.

This is just the same mind-numbingly inane thread, plus some random quotes about personal incredulity from apparently desperate, grasping people. Casting the explanation into greater question, which was unsuccessfully attempted here, doesn't push us toward a preferred explanation; especially one that, due to the very singularness of its definition, cannot be considered scientific.

So, scientific means to be explained by a knowledge we already have? Or does it mean to push limits of our knowledge, in order to explain something? I think, that fanatic attempting for the first possibility is a way to ignorance, circular explanations, and superficial understanding of the world.

If these sentences mean something, I don't know what. They sound like straw-manning and rhetoric.

Luminon wrote:
magilum wrote:
That is, if such a "miracle" can be reliably duplicated in ways that preclude the staggeringly obvious reflection explanation, we might have something to discuss.
Are you whacked on head, or what?

For some reason I'm reminded of the Black Knight from Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Luminon wrote:
If it's a reflection or not, that's not a question. It is a reflection, which has very special characteristics, (already summarized) which can not be created by a mere reflection.

Saying what it's not doesn't answer anything; and you haven't even established that small point. You need an alternative explanation that doesn't reject the idea of explanation on principle.

Luminon wrote:

magilum wrote:
But the moment we explain it, it ceases to be a "miracle" because a miracle is, by definition, an argument from ignorance and something not explained. So there's no way of scientifically proving a "miracle," because the evidence would end up being a lack of explanation, which precludes it being scientific.

Don't use the "miracle" word as an escape clause. The purpose here is not to explain everything for every price, nor to mark something as a great, unexplainable miracle. The purpose is to realize our ignorance, and thus our knowledge limits, and when we realize our limits, we can push them!

You mean to push the definition of what constitutes knowledge, more like. We're in no danger of knowing everything (or even being certain of the actual--as opposed to practical--legitimacy of knowledge), but it seems you know little enough that you want to tear down the idea of knowledge until its wreckage settles somewhere at your level.

Luminon wrote:
I've got a problem with know-it-all people, who skip the details and punish everyone who says "I don't know". (which is one of human rights) The most ignorant people always think they ate all the world's wisdom. The most wise knows, that they know nothing.

Straw-manning again. Like Presuppositionalist, the only argument you'd stand a chance against would be one of your own.

Luminon wrote:
Skipping the details and hidden assumptions offers a comfortable "explanation", from which, unfortunately doesn't lead a further way to development. This price is too high. We end up with a worldview, where everything is separated, and with dozens of seemingly unrelated problems, just because we skipped the details, which connects them all.

What mindless dreck.

Luminon wrote:
Wow, I should write an essay about it.

Indeed. The world could use the lulz.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:"- circular

BobSpence1 wrote:

"- circular reflection is due to the concave surface of a windowpane; the form X in the middle of the circle is due to the interference caused by the light reflection"

This statement alone reveals someone who has no credible understanding of the behavior of light and reflection.

Apart from anything else, any effect involving interference and white light would produce all sorts of color effects, like the reflections from thin films like soap bubbles.

This above may be flawed, but in context, it's an example of hypothesis on this topic, which is afterwards defeated by arguments in a text below it. The site showed an example of a flawed hypothesis, and didn't claim it's true, but rather oppositely. In this context, I think it's not wrong.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Are you

Luminon wrote:
Are you whacked on head, or what? If it's a reflection or not, that's not a question. It is a reflection, which has very special characteristics, (already summarized) which can not be created by a mere reflection.
Cripes.

It is easily explained by common, "mere reflection" physics. Thingy demonstrated that.

Glass can easily curve to several millimeters central displacement. Plastic even more so. The reflection of the camera in the window in your pictures strongly suggests the building right across the way has windows of exactly the right shape and type to produce that kind of reflected light shape.

Here's the real science way to look at that:

• We have a phenomenon.
  • We have an explanation for that phenomenon that's falsifiable (that is, testable).
  • In the absence of evidence for additional phenomena, there is no reason assume additional phenomena.

The only missing piece is the actual testing. I wish I could travel there to actually do the testing for you. I doubt anyone who wants those spots of light to be something special can be trusted to make the necessary observations.

The half-baked opinion of even a so-called scientist that the windows would not be sufficient to make that kind of shape counts for nothing. Why? Because the evidence is against him.

So, dear-heart, no one is discounting anything out-of-hand, there are solid reasons not to assume there is anything else going on there besides glass reflecting sunlight. Unless you can provide real evidence of something else, there is no reason to continue.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:BobSpence1

Luminon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

This above may be flawed, but in context, it's an example of hypothesis on this topic, which is afterwards defeated by arguments in a text below it. The site showed an example of a flawed hypothesis, and didn't claim it's true, but rather oppositely. In this context, I think it's not wrong.

No it is wrong, clearly wrong. Interference simply cannot produce that  pattern in white light. It is violating really basic principles.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Curious why Liminon makes

Curious why Liminon makes such a thing abot the time and the fact that the sun was low in the sky.

That is precisely what we would need to produce reflection from one vertical wall onto another. It would be much harder to explain if the sun was NOT low in the sky.

This further reveals that Luminon has no grasp of really, really basic aspects of this whole thing.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline

Luminon wrote:

New stuff which is already refuted by everything I've already posted.

Luminon wrote:
As you see, the wall on which the light patterns appeared, is shaded by the building itself, and several blocks of flats around. This is why the sun can not shine there by any means, until about 8 AM. The sun simply wasn't yet on the sky.

The woman who photographed this, initially considered this effect as a reflection from windows, but then she realized, that the sun was still low in that time.
She also observed the light patterns to disappear immediately in one second, while the sun was still shining. The patterns appeared only for these three days, in that time, never before and never after.

That is because, as I already stated in my replies to you in the other thread some of which I pasted above, it is not DIRECT sunlight.  It is REFLECTIONS. 

When the sun is low in the sky it is the best time for this kind of thing to happen, otherwise the reflected light points to the ground and there's too much other light being disbersed from other objects.  When she says the sun was not yet in the sky, any bet that means it wasn't high enough for her to have direct sight of it but the building behind her was in its direct path.

If we look at google maps, comparing the shadows of the building doing the reflection to the one near it, the one reflecting (blue) has a longer shadow therefore we can conclude it is taller than the ones with the black rooves.  The trees near them are taller still.

Not conclusive, but to be conclusive I would need someone to go there and take many more photos of the area so we can get a better idea of the surroundings.  This article of yours, just like all of them, purposefully leave out vital pieces of information and word things in such a way as to give a false impression of what the surrounding conditions were.

Now lets move on to some of the other pictures from your site that back up what I have been saying all along.  The yellow reflections are of windows that had the concave shape, right next to ones (red) that didn't get the concave shape.

Luminon wrote:
All right, the list of why it's unusual phenomenon.
1) the patterns on photographs are anomalous, because there wasn't the sun on the sky yet, so there was no way it could be reflected. We discussed it with the woman who photographed it, and it was obvious.

Clever wording by the website to misconstrue the real surroundings.  "wasn't in the sky yet" could simply mean not high enough for the person to have direct sight of the sun, as I stated earlier.  Things taller than the person like oh, say, a building, could easily have had direct line of sight to the sun.  The photo clearly shows it was beyond sunrise, there was definite sunlight around, just not direct sunlight of the area being photographed which is one of the contributing factors to this happening via reflection.

Luminon wrote:
2) it remained there for three days always in that time when the sun was too low on east.

Did it remain for three days as you're saying now, or only last for a minute or two as you said earlier, and happen at the same time for three consecutive days.  The sun doesn't follow the exact same path year round and this affect also relies on other factors to get the window pane bent by the right amount.

Luminon wrote:
3) it disappeared in one second. Clouds aren't that fast. It also never appeared there before or after.
Generally,

Actually, they are.  You're confusing direct light with ambient light.  Clouds aren't fast enough to make ambient light dissapear that fast, but all that was required was enough cloud cover to stop that direct bit of light that was reflecting.

Luminon wrote:
4) As it's written in that quote, the reflections wouldn't keep such a coherence on a longer distance. The reflection would ampifly itself and lose on luminosity greatly, unless the other building is in the point of focus. A mere window reflection can't have a coherence nearing a laser beam. The fact, that it occurs so frequently and worldwidely, is amazing.

It wouldn't keep its coherence for 20 meters?  That's the distance from the wall where the light pattern appeared to the building behind it that created it.  Just look at the google maps picture above.

Luminon wrote:
5) the reflections are unpredictable by date, time, sun position, temperature, season of year, number of windows around, and a geographic position. (of course, not counting a natural, regularly present window reflections which JillSwift mentioned) The only criteria for their occurence seems to be
a) sun shining
b) time period since 1997 till today, in increasing frequency.

Due mostly to the right conditions required to create the concave shape in the glass.  It could easily cause the shape to be convex as well.  They only appear in places that are decently shaded as too much ambient light drowns it out.  They've been happening since long before '97, just your idiot conspiracy theorist nutbag friends didn't latch on to the affect prior to that date.

Luminon wrote:
6) there are photographed reflections in a rhomb and octagon shape.

There are windows in many shapes and sizes.  OMFG! O.O

Luminon wrote:
7) the reflections doesn't often match a number and positions of windows they're supposed to be reflected from. They're so notable, that people remembers that never such a thing was on their wall.

Until you actually look at where it's coming from then it matches perfectly as is shown in the livescience link in my first post in this thread.

Luminon wrote:
8) this is rather personal, but at least three co-workers of our group had seen such a pattern appearing either near their home, or for such a moment than only they could see it. It may be a coincidence, but there's much more of coincidences like that around. It seems to be a part of recent worldwide occurence of miracles, which unprecedented in human history by it's frequence, diversity and influence on human worldview.

Yes, it is quite personal.  You attract dumb fucks who refuse to see things for what they are, who prefer to take a leap of illogic rather than follow the logical steps to a conclusion that any 5th grader could see and understand.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Luminon , LOL. Isn't

Luminon , LOL. Isn't "everything" a "phenomenon", every atom, every wave of energy? I dig your enthusiasm and awe and kindness. I have my personal most amusing mysteries of wonder, "time" being top of my list, but it all comes down to the same "ONE" thing, that all is 100% connected, or as I like to say "g-awe-d", or like WOW, WTF is dirt? !!!      

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Luminon

BobSpence1 wrote:

Luminon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

No it is wrong, clearly wrong. Interference simply cannot produce that  pattern in white light. It is violating really basic principles.

It is not interference. It is warped reflections. Interference would just give you some colors.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander

Jormungander wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Luminon wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is not interference. It is warped reflections. Interference would just give you some colors.

Exactly. The 'explanation' referring to 'interference' ain't just 'flawed' it is totally mistaken, ie wrong.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
Loonyman, you oughta try

Loonyman, you oughta try rational skepticism. All you need to do is not jump to loony conclusions, and instead explore the more likely natural explanations. If you think there aren't any, that's your failure.

For example, in this very thread people have shown you the natural explanation. Accept it. and Please, for the love of Wilma, stop trying to convince skeptics that magical thinking and woo logic are valid lines of enquiry. You come off looking reeal silly.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:For example, in

Jello wrote:
For example, in this very thread people have shown you the natural explanation. Accept it. and Please, for the love of Wilma,

Betty was cuter.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I am awful at physics, but

I am awful at physics, but Thingy's post was very educational and entertaining- so thanks Thingy, I learned something new, and your effort has not gone to waste Smiling

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
@Thingy: Has anyone ever

@Thingy:

Has anyone ever told you you're brilliant? Because so far that's all I've gotten from your posts. I agree with Yaerqav in his post above, your explanations were very well written. I especially liked the MS Paint diagram Sticking out tongue.

@Luminon;

Luminon wrote:

8 ) this is rather personal, but at least three co-workers of our group had seen such a pattern appearing either near their home, or for such a moment than only they could see it. It may be a coincidence, but there's much more of coincidences like that around. It seems to be a part of recent worldwide occurence of miracles, which unprecedented in human history by it's frequence, diversity and influence on human worldview.

Hey yeah, you know what else is a recent (relativly) miracle in human history? Having really tall buildings with very pure glass windows in them. Hmmm, maybe its a coincidence.

I'm sorry if I sound snooty, but so far all you've done is bring this up, state that you have unswavering faith in it, and then repeatedly try and insult the intellectual honesty of the people who have tried to explain it rationally. Considering Thingy provided another example with a perfect solution and you responded with an insistance that it MUST have been photoshop from those evil Atheist Bastards just trying to kill your world view. That is not Freethinking OR Free Thinking, it is confirmation bias, which I'm fairly certain you've already had thrown at you in this thread, but you just ignored it, so here I go, except mine is bigger Eye-wink.

YOU HAVE CONFIRMATION BIAS!

Now then, do I have your attention? Either way, it is certainly possible that the picture from LiveScience was indeed photoshopped, but lets look at this rationally using the Okham's Razor.

Hypothesis 1: Supernatural Occurance, everything in science is apparently wrong or at least can be wrong at a whim. This does nothing to explain how it happened other than 'it happened'. This also does nothing to explain why, with unlimited power, god has decided to paint pretty light show pictures on buildings instead of say, save people's lives or something, cure cancer, something useful.

Hypothesis 2: SEE: Thingy's posts. While a decently complicated bit of physics, does not require that we spontaneously add an entirely new and otherwise unproven entity or branch of physics.

#2 is clearly superior for the simple reason of it is possible to explain it in its entirety with our knowledge now. Yes, I mean that. When it can be explained in its entirety with our knowledge now it is always initially superior to something which requires something new, it is only through mountainous piles of evidence that 'something new' is accepted as fact over something that is not new. This is why Einsteinian Relativity replaced Newtonian Relativity, it had huge piles of evidence to support it. Your 'idea' has no evidence to support it whatsoever, it is just one big argument from ignorance. Seriously, your posts so far have amounted to 'I don't know how this happened, but I know it couldn't have happened the way you say, because Goddidit.'

Demanding evidence to support a claim, while sticking with what we already know until that evidence arives is not 'close-mindedness', no more than embracing every new-age fad that comes onto the street is 'open-mindedness'. The first is just intelligent and practical, while the second is being an impressionable twit. Being Open Minded does not require that you accept every new possibility, only that you hear them out. And we did hear you out on this, apparently twice. Given that we can refute it based on simple physics and a modern understanding of the world, there is no reason to believe this is some supernatural occurance.

Also, when you make a bogus probability assessment like "Its too improbable to have happened naturally, so Goddidit", back it up with the probability calculations and the numbers you used to get there okay? Otherwise, don't use it.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Just another in a long line

Just another in a long line of "Weird shit happens so God" posts.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Just another

jcgadfly wrote:
Just another in a long line of "Weird shit happens so God" posts.
I agree, I think Loonynon needs a new tag invented for him: "Theist that avoids the word 'god'."

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Luminon

thingy wrote:
Luminon wrote:
8) this is rather personal, but at least three co-workers of our group had seen such a pattern appearing either near their home, or for such a moment than only they could see it. It may be a coincidence, but there's much more of coincidences like that around. It seems to be a part of recent worldwide occurence of miracles, which unprecedented in human history by it's frequence, diversity and influence on human worldview.

Yes, it is quite personal.  You attract dumb fucks who refuse to see things for what they are, who prefer to take a leap of illogic rather than follow the logical steps to a conclusion that any 5th grader could see and understand.

I would like to respond to point 8 again, this time with a cooler less frustrated head.  I am leaving my original post in tact as it has been a while since I posted it and Luminon (and others) have most likely already seen it by now so there's no retracting it.

You, your family, and your friends rely a lot on personal experience for a lot of these "miracles".  This is just about the worst thing you can do.  There's a very specific reason why science relies on instruments, measurements, testing, and attempting to make predictions based upon what has been learnt on these measurements.  It is because personal experience lies to us, our own body lies to us.  It is why we use thermometers to measure the tempterature rather than just our skin.  It is why we use speedometers to measure the speed we're going rather than just our eyes. 

Just look at the face on mars thing a few years back, when looking at that same area under different lighting conditions it looks nothing like a face.  It's hard to believe it's even the same set of mountains, but it is.  Our minds are set to recognise patterns, faces, structures, something familiar.  It's why ghosts have been "seen" by so few people, it's our mind playing tricks on us in the dark, nothing more. 

Placebo's work in the same way, by getting the mind to play tricks on us.  That is why so many people swear by placebo's such as homeothapy and new-age "medicine".  At most pheremones(sp?) get released that temporarily make the person feel better, and that's it.  This is why such medicines are yet to stand up under testing.  All they do is make our bodies lie to us while in the background the body continues to do as it would do anyway.  Sometimes the body would make us better anyway, other times not.

If such things did stand up to testing, science would willingly embrace them in excitement and work to strengthen them, build upon them.  Seeing as they don't then it isn't even considered science.  Same with Intelligent Design and what ever else you want to name.  It's not a big conspiracy as ben stein et al would have you believe, just a severe lacking in anything provable and testable by those putting forth these so called "alternatives". 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon sent me the

Luminon sent me the following private message.  I don't see why it was in the private message system.  In my humble opinion it should be a reply in this thread and therefore I am posting it here.  I will respond to it later.

Luminon wrote:

thingy wrote:

thingy wrote:
Luminon wrote:

I would like to respond to point 8 again, this time with a cooler less frustrated head.  I am leaving my original post in tact as it has been a while since I posted it and Luminon (and others) have most likely already seen it by now so there's no retracting it.

Seeing a cool head in these days is rare for me, thanks!

thingy wrote:
You, your family, and your friends rely a lot on personal experience for a lot of these "miracles".  This is just about the worst thing you can do.  There's a very specific reason why science relies on instruments, measurements, testing, and attempting to make predictions based upon what has been learnt on these measurements.  It is because personal experience lies to us, our own body lies to us.  It is why we use thermometers to measure the tempterature rather than just our skin.  It is why we use speedometers to measure the speed we're going rather than just our eyes.
We rely on personal testing, because the research topic is personal, it's people. Technology will never be as complex, as a human.  But we share experiences, travel to get some new, and we observe, that others had independently discovered what we did.
This club of friends I mean, is a group of people where most of them has an university degree or two. There is a professional psychologist among us, and she meditates with us like everyone else. We've got also a sympathizing local practical doctor and her nurse. They are not dim-witted easybelievers, they are people who managed to achieve college degrees, families, jobs, money, and then they realized, that there is more in this world, than meets the eye of most of people.
Our research is logically compared with all known information on this topic, including already verified writings, non-verified writings, and contemporary scientific knowledge. This logical process is so obvious for us, that we don't even talk about it much. Of course, to understand our motives and methods is for a total stranger like trying to jump up a going train.

The funny thing with body is, that two bodies rarely lies at the same moment and by the same way, however they tends to say the truth in this manner. With personal development, this precision increases.
The senses, as all tools, can be adjusted. They can be improved, purified, their range of sensitivity can be altered, and by meditation, they're calibrated in this manner. A well calibrated senses are much more sensitive than a technics for measuring. They perhaps doesn't give an output in km/h or volts,  but they're far ahead in what is ironically called extra-sensoric perception. People, who operate their enhanced senses on regular basis are still rare, but I know about them. For them, senses are no longer unpredictable and deceitful, but obeying, like a well calibrated tool.

thingy wrote:
Just look at the face on mars thing a few years back, when looking at that same area under different lighting conditions it looks nothing like a face.  It's hard to believe it's even the same set of mountains, but it is.  Our minds are set to recognise patterns, faces, structures, something familiar.  It's why ghosts have been "seen" by so few people, it's our mind playing tricks on us in the dark, nothing more.
Seeing a ghost is a diffcult athletic discipline indeed. But communicating with them or photographing them is done by our club regularly. Nothing is as convincing, as a good conversation with a ghost, about his problems, form of death, fears, and a reason why he decided to attach to that person. When this is done with various clients on regular basis (who often are in awe what they talk in relaxed state) then it surely starts to give a sense. Or is there any known brain mechanism, which suddenly, during a moment of relaxation, makes a different personality pop out of a client with a problem?

thingy wrote:
Placebo's work in the same way, by getting the mind to play tricks on us.  That is why so many people swear by placebo's such as homeothapy and new-age "medicine".  At most pheremones(sp?) get released that temporarily make the person feel better, and that's it.  This is why such medicines are yet to stand up under testing.  All they do is make our bodies lie to us while in the background the body continues to do as it would do anyway.  Sometimes the body would make us better anyway, other times not.
The placebo effect makes a real changes in physical state, they're just short-termed. The body indeed does what it does always, but the person inhabiting it may either help it, or sabotage it. In the placebo effect, it is a person who sets the truth for a body.
Do you presume, that all non-medical treatments are only a placebo effect inductors?

thingy wrote:
If such things did stand up to testing, science would willingly embrace them in excitement and work to strengthen them, build upon them.  Seeing as they don't then it isn't even considered science.  Same with Intelligent Design and what ever else you want to name.  It's not a big conspiracy as ben stein et al would have you believe, just a severe lacking in anything provable and testable by those putting forth these so called "alternatives".
I'm sure that science will eventually embrace these things, and that it will bring a new technologic revolution, but there is one small detail you missed. It always takes decades, maybe centuries, before a science accepts a really new things. Everything new must fight for it's existence, and this takes a time. If not, there would be something wrong with us.
I see often a phenomena, which would put scientists in awe, but which are otherwise a nice variation of meditational routine. For example, it seems like we  have a helpful spirit in our group.
I'm quite a beginner in meditation, and I tend to get sleepy or daydreaming, when I actually want to meditate. But often, I feel like someone would either pinch me on my arm or tingle me, which wakes me up again immediately. Surprisingly, when I look, there is nobody sitting next to me at this moment, or there is, but sitting still.
There's more of that, last week a woman of our group had a vision of this spirit, as he was doing his job to keep us awake and meditating. I had a vision of the same thing, in a similar time, (just from a different side) and it was quite surprising to hear about it later.
I just can be glad that our helpful spirit isn't a zen guru, otherwise he would probably whip my back by a stick, as they do it Smiling  (to stimulate an acupuncture points along a spine, of course )

I know, it's just a heap of tales for you, and you will probably never meditate by the method I do, to see anything like that for yourself. Extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof, which possibly requires extraordinary effort , which requires an extraordinary will to know the truth. Who's satisfied with an easy choice ("it's sham" for skeptics, "it's true" for the faithful ) is not likely to make the effort. Who would want to change his/her paradigm, which feels so good? Would you perform a surgery on yourself, to see if there is really a proof for astrology behind your liver? On someone else's suggestion? Finding such a person is highly unlikely. Not even scientists are very willing to make such an effort. Being ostracized for taking a crap seriously hurts almost as much as self-made surgery.
Next possibility is, that the proof just came without effort to a person, and influenced it's worldview, whether this person likes it or not. This is faster, easier, and skips directly to the ostracizing, when a mouth or Firefox isn't shut Smiling
Well, so are you able to imagine, that I'm saying what I and several highly educated people experience regularly? (the gathering is once per week) That it's a truth? That it's real? I'm curious if it's humanly possible to imagine such an extremely different stance.
Regards,
Loonym...eh, Luminon

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon is writing so much

Luminon is writing so much woo-woo nonsense that I am at a loss of how to respond. Ghosts, 'calibrated' senses, spirits that help you meditate....I don't even know where to start with all of these things. I will try to hit some of the main points here:

Quote:

It always takes decades, maybe centuries, before a science accepts a really new things.

Not at all. When Jack Kilby invented the integrated circuit it did not take decades or centuries to accept this amazing new device. He turned computing on its head, and was welcomed for it. When Edward Jenner created the first vaccine people started using it immediately. No one waited decades or centuries to accept this revolution in medical technology. If someone has the evidence to back their claims up, then scientists welcome the new information. They welcome it even if it is different and groundbreaking.

Quote:

I see often a phenomena, which would put scientists in awe

Then collect evidence of such phenomena. Collect all the evidence that you can for it and make your case that it is real. Until you do that, you will need to accept that skeptics will universally reject your claims. And just so we are all clear: feelings during mediation, sensing spirits and 'calibrated' senses don't count as evidence.

Quote:

Seeing a ghost is a diffcult athletic discipline indeed. But communicating with them or photographing them is done by our club regularly.

If you have clear, unambiguous and unedited photographs of ghosts that you take regularly, then why haven't you shown them to everyone and proved the existence of ghosts once and for all? In fact I would love to see some of these photos. That counts as evidence. Unless of course you just have photos of lens artifacts and/or small white spots like some other 'ghost' photos I have seen.

Quote:

Our research is logically compared with all known information on this topic, including already verified writings, non-verified writings, and contemporary scientific knowledge. This logical process is so obvious for us

What logical process are you referring to? It is unclear in that sentence.

Quote:

you will probably never meditate by the method I do, to see anything like that for yourself. Extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof, which possibly requires extraordinary effort

Just so we are all clear: feelings you get while meditating are not proof of anything. Even if I felt new things while mediating, that does not make them real. Just in the same way that I could take peyote and feel new things, they still aren't real. Your extraordinary proof will have to be something independent of your feelings and thoughts. Get some physical (ie. non-imaginary) proof of your claims or you will be dismissed as a woo-woo new-age believer. Just as I reject claims of "I feel that Jesus loves me," I also will reject claims of "I feel a spirit visit me while I mediate."

Quote:

This club of friends ... They are not dim-witted easybelievers

I beg to differ.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cue even more outrageous

Cue even more outrageous crap from the "atheist" who believes in just about every bit of crapology beloved of the ignorant and confused, except the Abrahamic god apparently.

This guy is either the world's greatest wind-up merchant or a "plant" sent in by devious theists to sabotage the site. Of course he could also just be the world's biggest thick. The jury's out ...

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Luminon sent me

thingy wrote:

Luminon sent me the following private message.  I don't see why it was in the private message system.  In my humble opinion it should be a reply in this thread and therefore I am posting it here.  I will respond to it later.

This was because of respect to Nordmann and his wish to not increase an amount of "crapology" on this forum. I intended to let this topic become dormant, thus not staying on the top, and further potential discussion would go through the PM's. 

Maybe I should formulate a definition of "Irrational discussion" forum section, which won't fulfil the purpose of this website, but also won't be in conflict with it. Rational folk may officially declare a distance from what would be discussed there.

Jormungander wrote:
Not at all. When Jack Kilby invented the integrated circuit it did not take decades or centuries to accept this amazing new device. He turned computing on its head, and was welcomed for it. When Edward Jenner created the first vaccine people started using it immediately. No one waited decades or centuries to accept this revolution in medical technology. If someone has the evidence to back their claims up, then scientists welcome the new information. They welcome it even if it is different and groundbreaking.
You see, here it depends on how revolutionary the discovery is. Heliocentric solar system took a long time to be accepted, existence of bacteries as well, and a large part of Tesla's work is officially not understood till this day, and it had been quite a while.
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this time of accepting a new invention depends on a size of paradigm shift it demands. When people already knew of microorganisms, it was quite believable, that they can be weakened by heat, and then given to an immunity system as a training dummies. Or, when a properties of semiconductors were discovered, then it wasn't so unbelievable, that they could be so small.
But the heliocentric system was something, what required people to change the way how they see the world itself, not as it seems, but as it is, from a small hints. As for the bacteries, nobody believed, that anything living could be so small, for people they were invisible, and invisible things doesn't exist, as we know. And today, people can't imagine, that Tesla put into work a forms of energies, which are unknown, and literally "imaginary" in a couple of senses of this word. For example, the 'imaginary' part of the electric current. There is also no development link to what Tesla did, and contemporary electrotechnics, he did it all from his head, and there are some seemingly senseless things an engineer must precisely build, in order to follow Tesla.
Second factor may be, that our old paradigm seems to be enough for everyone, and there is no need to break it down by some new, wild theories. And further, science doesn't usually work blindly. It is directed by market forces. We could have a free energy in many forms long ago, but it is unacceptable, because the lack of need for the industrial energetic infrastructure, and business with energy, would put our society into chaos. Not that I would care, but the heads of finances and industries certainly cares. Everyone wants a free energy, but nobody wants to take care of a many millions of people dependent on the paid energy.
Shortly said, some changes goes easier than others. Important changes may not always have a convincing evidence outside of their domain.

Jormungander wrote:
  Then collect evidence of such phenomena. Collect all the evidence that you can for it and make your case that it is real. Until you do that, you will need to accept that skeptics will universally reject your claims. And just so we are all clear: feelings during mediation, sensing spirits and 'calibrated' senses don't count as evidence.

I do it, I do it, I do it. Unfortunately, it has a form of anecdotal, verbal or text record, like a personal testimony, or an instructions to send a person on a survey to his/her past lives, effectively and correctly. The researchers, tools for research, and subjects, are all people of various qualities. In order for a skeptic to be convinced, he/she must become some of that, become involved, and affected by this process, must be taken "into the club", so close to the process, that the results becomes obvious. If everything goes well. Some factors, like if the person is taking a psychopharmaceuticals, may completely disable his/her abilities for some time. This is the most common problem, any other are rare.
The practical results are a changes in life of client/subject. They are various, from seemingly small, to very profound, and the person must subjectively evaluate them, to give an objective testimony. For example, is a dependence on smoking or alcohol measurable, and a power, needed for this particular person to get rid of it? Is a happiness of marriage or relationship measurable? Only for the two people involved, and maybe for the one person who helped them. Not for an outsider. And what about a feeling of having a sense, a direction in life? You get the idea... So, if a skeptics should have a will to become involved in it, there must be a mutual respect on both sides. The skeptic shouldn't consider all such people a crazy woo-woo magicians and mumbo-jumbo-doers, who should thank him for showing an interest for it. On the other side, the researchers shouldn't consider the skeptic to be a close-minded person, locked within his small ideologic box. There is also other danger, don't make the demonstration too profound and embarrasing, otherwise there's a risk of skeptic's revenge, in a form of a bad public testimony.
If everything goes well, the skeptic may actually bring new ideas out, and search for a way how to employ them outside of their domain. I know about one such a scientist, originally from here, living and working in USA, researching a consciousness and brain.

Jormungander wrote:
  What logical process are you referring to? It is unclear in that sentence.
Summarizing the evidence, comparing it, blind testing, choosing of the most probable version, interpersonal confirmation, putting an unverified knowledge into practice and judging it according to the results, and so on. It is similar, like a scientists does, just unspoken, unrecorded, and unofficial. Here I learned that this process is carefully guided and documented if everything is done properly, but in unofficial research, it's considered so natural, that the people involved could hardly formulate it. If something there isn't right, the method doesn't work, or something doesn't feel right, I don't know. I really don't remember that there would be any mistakes or major paradigm shifts in last years. Whatever the club and my parents laid hands on, worked almost like a miracle. They're in this domain for 25 years, they don't already make a beginners' mistakes. They learn from nobody but the best, and many others learns from them.

Jormungander wrote:
Just so we are all clear: feelings you get while meditating are not proof of anything. Even if I felt new things while mediating, that does not make them real. Just in the same way that I could take peyote and feel new things, they still aren't real. Your extraordinary proof will have to be something independent of your feelings and thoughts. Get some physical (ie. non-imaginary) proof of your claims or you will be dismissed as a woo-woo new-age believer. Just as I reject claims of "I feel that Jesus loves me," I also will reject claims of "I feel a spirit visit me while I mediate."

Yes, subjective experience doesn't make it real. I know that, this is why we reach a degree of objectivity. In fact, objectivity is nothing but a set of identic or similar subjective experiences. When a group of scientists reads a digits from a machine, it is a subjective experience, just like when a group of meditating people has the same vision. There is a good reason to believe, that all of them saw the same thing.
Humans aren't standardized. There is a lot of qualities in which they may vary a lot, but the law of attraction of similar people allows us to gather enough of them to do these tests. The main purpose is of course to meditate, the experiences are exchanged before or after. So, herding a meditating people isn't necessarily like herding a cats, the groups attract a roughly similar people, (which takes years) but if a skeptic tries to gather some strangers for tests, then it will be like herding a cats. As I mentioned, the senses of a group are similarly calibrated. There's still a lot of variation, but we're able to have an interpersonal phenomenon. I have it quite easy, I was always naturally sensitive. This kind of meditation is like operating a machine which demands a constant attention to work properly, and I can sense very precisely for a beginner, how this process goes, and what my operations does. But, there are some people, who aren't naturally equipped to do that, to sense what is happening. It's like a cooking without taste, smell, sight and hear, just following the instructions and otherwise sitting still. We have a woman in our group, who didn't feel anything during the meditation. Nothing, she just sat there and focused, and the meditation had an effect, she just didn't feel it. For me, it's often like having a big, pulsating iris-like hole into the depth of my head where my forehead is, which pupms a stream of warm energy back and forth (besides other numerous tactile, audio and visual effects). But the woman didn't feel anything. It took three years of blind, confident meditation before she started to feel what others in the group feels. I don't know if I'd have the patience. A great respect belongs to those, who managed to overcome their little personal box, and expand their senses beyond what they've been dictated to be true and false.

Btw, it is well known fact, that if you think intensely about a body part, there becomes an increased blood flow. Believe it or not, but I'm able to feel centres inside of my head, which seems to be the epiphysis and hypophysis. (but also others which physically aren't there, like the one mentioned above) It temporarily affects a consciousness, when these glands are stimulated. This kind of activity is natural and leads to a development of personality. A person gaining a control over the body in this manner is like an owner of a great house, who after many years starts to unlock and explore more rooms than the one he lived in. This is also why most of meditation methods may be dangerous. (fortunately not the one I perform, this is a masterpiece in a meditation catalogue)

Nordmann wrote:

Cue even more outrageous crap from the "atheist" who believes in just about every bit of crapology beloved of the ignorant and confused, except the Abrahamic god apparently.

And it has no sense to convince you about the opposite. It is impossible anyway, I have no argumentum ad baculum, and not that it would work here. I'm here for those, who might have a benefit from me being here, including myself. I can only inspire those, who wants to explore. The real work must be usually done by the person him/herself. There is no fluidum of objectivity, emanating from scientific studies, which when inhaled, provides an objective evidence. Oppositely, there are reserves and hidden assumptions in so-called rational worldview. For example, a strict specialization of rationality.

Nordmann wrote:
This guy is either the world's greatest wind-up merchant or a "plant" sent in by devious theists to sabotage the site. Of course he could also just be the world's biggest thick. The jury's out ...
You didn't even consider one possibility, that I say the truth.
It is slightly unnerving, that even a godless, hard-boiled atheist may get so outraged, that he goes on a crusade of tar and feathers. Here it's sometimes like being arrested, "all you say may be used against you". I can't even write certain things, because they suggest a silly hidden meanings and I can be sure, that they would be quickly noticed and used against me. Is that really how atheists, the supposed bringers of truth and rational enlightenment wants to present themselves? How there is any difference from the fundies, who gets crazy when someone makes fun of Jesus by a silly t-shirt?

Jello
User is offlineOffline
"In fact, objectivity is

"In fact, objectivity is nothing but a set of identic or similar subjective experiences."

Having an experience doesn't = knowing what caused it or what it was. Other people having the same experience and jumping to the same false conclusions isn't objectivity. An example of this can be seen in Dan Dennet's "magic of consciousness" series on youtube when he discusses magic tricks, de ja vu experiences and optical illusions.

Go to any church and you will find multitudes of people who have "experienced" jesus touching their hearts. Is this the objective truth?

Your posts, Luminon, are intellectually barren, and although I don't think you personally are an idiot, I think you've been duped into an extraordinarily idiotic way of thinking.

I and many others would like you to keep your woo to yourself. Please. I don't care if you do or don't learn how to apply critical thinking to your line of inquiry, (as you obviously haven't, or you wouldn't be saying shit like "objectivity is nothing but a set of identic or similar subjective experiences" ).

I never read your entire posts, because they're too long and they hurt my brain, (which is sensitive to stupid), and seeing as I know you're going to disagree, don't bother replying.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:You see, here

Luminon wrote:

You see, here it depends on how revolutionary the discovery is. Heliocentric solar system took a long time to be accepted, existence of bacteries as well, and a large part of Tesla's work is officially not understood till this day, and it had been quite a while.
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that this time of accepting a new invention depends on a size of paradigm shift it demands.

Please don't tell me that you are comparing your woo-woo nonsense to Tesla or Galileo or Leeuwenhoek. Also you are dead wrong on the bacteria part. It took a matter of days for the Royal Society to confirm and accept the existence of bacteria. Let me repeat that: it took the Royal Society a few days to go from thinking that no living thing is microscopic to thinking that bacteria exist and live within us. When you have evidence to back up your claims scientists will bend over backwards to accept them. The following book excerpt will give an illuminating example on that fact:

From Antonie van Leeuwenhoek:

Van Leeuwenhoeks discovery of bacteria was not immediately accepted
by scientists. His letter to the Royal Society announcing the
discovery of bacteria caused such doubt at the Royal Society that he
had to enlist an English vicar, as well as jurists and doctors, to
confirm that his report was based on true observations. Robert Hooke
later repeated the experiment and was able to confirm his discoveries.
The Royal Society wrote a letter asking him if he would rent his
microscope for few days. But Leeuwenhoek did not send his ?loving?
instrument. To confirm Leeuwenhoek?s reports, the Society appointed
two scientists - Nehemiah Grew, the plant anatomist and Robert Hooke,
the microscopist. They attempted to validate Leeuwenhoek?s
observations. First time they failed, casting doubts on his report.
However, Hooke again tried using a microscope with 330 X (power of
magnification) and confirmed Leeuwenhoek?s success. Both scientists
confirmed that their observations were similar to those described in
the letters by Leeuwenhoek. Now, the Royal Society accepted
Leeuwenhoek as a scientist and declared him as the discoverer of
bacteria.

Luminon wrote:

And today, people can't imagine, that Tesla put into work a forms of energies, which are unknown, and literally "imaginary" in a couple of senses of this word. For example, the 'imaginary' part of the electric current.

You are mixing up the value of root -1 with make believe. Imaginary numbers and those spirits that you believe in are two different kinds of imaginary.

Luminon wrote:

And further, science doesn't usually work blindly. It is directed by market forces. We could have a free energy in many forms long ago, but it is unacceptable, because the lack of need for the industrial energetic infrastructure, and business with energy, would put our society into chaos. Not that I would care, but the heads of finances and industries certainly cares. Everyone wants a free energy, but nobody wants to take care of a many millions of people dependent on the paid energy.

Some advice for the future: when discussing something with skeptics, do NOT bust out your crazy conspiracy theories. There is no such thing as free energy. The laws of thermodynamics won't allow it.  Even if there was a way to make free energy, someone would patent it and be the richest man on earth. The first person to get that patent would be the Bill Gates of energy. Also no one cares about destroying obsolete industries. When PC's came out they destroyed the careers of countless secretaries. Being able to type up your own reports ended millions of jobs. But oh well, no one will even miss them and our economy is better for it. People would have that same attitude if free energy is ever invented. Not that the phrase 'free energy' is even coherent mind you.

Luminon wrote:

Unfortunately, it has a form of anecdotal, verbal or text record, like a personal testimony, or an instructions to send a person on a survey to his/her past lives, effectively and correctly.

Saying you only have anecdotal evidence is saying that you have no evidence at all. Just like a theist who claims that they have 'felt' Jesus's love, your personal testimonies of 'feeling' spirits are worthless.  When Van Leeuwenhoek discovered bacteria, he did not submit a report claiming that he felt they were real. He submitted a report saying that they can be observed physically. Since he had no other evidence than his word for that claim, it was rejected for a few days until the evidence could be gathered to support it. Automatic rejection of wild claims that lack evidence is reasonable. But of course, once the unambiguous evidence comes in to support the claims they may no longer be rationally rejected.

Luminon wrote:

The skeptic shouldn't consider all such people a crazy woo-woo magicians and mumbo-jumbo-doers

On the contrary, the skeptic should. Once you talk about your spirits and group visions in meditation the skeptic needs to denounce your lunacy and call you what you are: a believer in crazy woo-woo magic.

Luminon wrote:

There is also other danger, don't make the demonstration too profound and embarrasing

I wouldn't worry about that. If your only 'evidence' is feelings and visions you will never overwhelm a skeptic to the point of embarrassment. Perhaps you need to clarify what you mean by profound evidence. In my book your claims about feelings and visions don't count as evidence at all.

Luminon wrote:

When a group of scientists reads a digits from a machine, it is a subjective experience, just like when a group of meditating people has the same vision.

Reading digits and seeing mystic visions are too different for this to be an apt comparison. When I take a reading from a hardness tester, it is fundamentally different than people seeking out visions in group meditation. I think we would both agree on that.  The subjective act of recording digits is fundamentally more trustworthy than the subjective act of receiving visions.

Luminon wrote:

but the law of attraction of similar people allows us to gather enough of them to do these tests.

Oh, Wotan save me from this one. The law of attraction? Is there any new age nonsense that you won't buy into? Do you believe in crystal energies also? Just to make sure I get what you are saying: you mean the law of attraction like The Secret, right?

Luminon wrote:

For me, it's often like having a big, pulsating iris-like hole into the depth of my head where my forehead is, which pupms a stream of warm energy back and forth (besides other numerous tactile, audio and visual effects).

Is it your Ajna or Sahasrara chakra (sarcasm)? I was actually joking when I mentioned peyote, but I see that peyote use is rather calm and sensible compared to what you are into.

Luminon wrote:

But the woman didn't feel anything. It took three years of blind, confident meditation before she started to feel what others in the group feels. I don't know if I'd have the patience. A great respect belongs to those, who managed to overcome their little personal box, and expand their senses beyond what they've been dictated to be true and false.

It took your cult three whole years to indoctrinate her? You do know that there are books describing how to indoctrinate people into cults. You should look one up, it will make brainwashing newcomers so much easier.

Luminon wrote:

You didn't even consider one possibility, that I say the truth.

And we will continue to not consider that possibility. I think there is a 0% likelihood that you are saying the truth. If you want to prove me wrong then present your compelling evidence for belief. Or failing that, entertain us with more stories of your visions and spirit friends and pulsating energy channels that reside in your forehead.

I just want to finish by saying that I'm not trying to be mean. I don't want to troll your threads or anything like that. I just think you are very delusional. If you kept your fantasy world to yourself it would be fine. Convincing others to believe in your lunacy is where the unacceptable actions start.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:I don't care if

Jello wrote:

I don't care if you do or don't learn how to apply critical thinking to your line of inquiry, (as you obviously haven't, or you wouldn't be saying shit like "objectivity is nothing but a set of identic or similar subjective experiences" ).

That is something else that I forgot to mention. Luminon seemed to be attacking objectivity as a way of validating his subjectivity. If he can not rise up to our standards then apparently he will try and drag our standards down to his level. It is like a creationist trying to lower the standards of science so that his magical beliefs can slip by.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This was because of

Quote:

This was because of respect to Nordmann and his wish to not increase an amount of "crapology" on this forum. I intended to let this topic become dormant, thus not staying on the top, and further potential discussion would go through the PM's.

You are a compulsive liar luminon. I had made no such appeal in this thread prior to your resorting to private messages, so there was no "wish" of mine to be "respected".

You lie to us all the time. You lie to yourself all the time. You have probably been lied to all your life by people who you are not yet intellectually or emotionally ready to accuse of the crime, if you ever will be. When confronted with the fact that you live a lie you lie even more. You consort with liars. You allow liars to validate the lie that is your life, since the lie that they have the right to do so is an easier pill to to swallow than the prospect of having the whole web of deceit which is your mind unravel.

Unlike others here who adopt a conciliatory tone towards you, or who make the mistake of trying to appeal to whatever "reason" might still lurk in the quagmire of untruths and bullshit that is what remains of your intellectual faculties, I have no respect for either your self-assumed intelligence or personality.

You are too stupid to realsie how stupid you are, and too rude to merit forgiveness for the constant trespasses you make on this site. You spew bullshit where reasoned debate hopes to flourish, and you do with the gay abandon of a rudderless sileage spreader in overdrive.

If you truly "respect" my "wishes" (though alas this too is another lie, I know) then you will restrict your comments to regions of the site where delusional fools have free reign to vent their spleen if they wish, and you will develop the good manners to realise when you have insulted the intelligence of your fellow site members sufficiently and therefore refrain from repeating the crime ad infinitum.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote: Quote:This

Nordmann wrote:
Quote:
You are a compulsive liar luminon. I had made no such appeal in this thread prior to your resorting to private messages, so there was no "wish" of mine to be "respected".
This is what I understood that you would appreciate to restrict the "crapology" out of the public threads, if possible. Did you wish that? I'm pretty sure that you did. I assume it from this forum thread and your posts number 36, 42, 44, 46, and so on other threads. Trying to use PM for a continuing to discuss with Thingy was an attempt for a good will. Stop sabotaging it.

Nordmann wrote:
You lie to us all the time. You lie to yourself all the time. You have probably been lied to all your life by people who you are not yet intellectually or emotionally ready to accuse of the crime, if you ever will be. When confronted with the fact that you live a lie you lie even more. You consort with liars. You allow liars to validate the lie that is your life, since the lie that they have the right to do so is an easier pill to to swallow than the prospect of having the whole web of deceit which is your mind unravel.
Such a concentrated amount of lies is highly improbable. Find a better hypothesis, there must be a simplier solution. A lie must have a motive. Huge amount of lies must have a huge amount of motives. And where are these?
Btw, aren't you a bit obsessed with the act of lying?

Nordmann wrote:
Unlike others here who adopt a conciliatory tone towards you, or who make the mistake of trying to appeal to whatever "reason" might still lurk in the quagmire of untruths and bullshit that is what remains of your intellectual faculties, I have no respect for either your self-assumed intelligence or personality.
I highly appreciate the conciliatiory tone. It's a sign of maturity, I think. But if you think that your method of force and disrespect will bring a harmony and understanding to the hearts of people, I wouldn't be so sure.

Nordmann wrote:
You are too stupid to realsie how stupid you are, and too rude to merit forgiveness for the constant trespasses you make on this site. You spew bullshit where reasoned debate hopes to flourish, and you do with the gay abandon of a rudderless sileage spreader in overdrive.
Maybe I realized already. Now calm yourself and let me gradually calm myself. Don't sabotage it. Those, who fights with monsters, should watch to not become monsters themselves...

Nordmann wrote:
If you truly "respect" my "wishes" (though alas this too is another lie, I know) then you will restrict your comments to regions of the site where delusional fools have free reign to vent their spleen if they wish, and you will develop the good manners to realise when you have insulted the intelligence of your fellow site members sufficiently and therefore refrain from repeating the crime ad infinitum.
...regions of the site, such as...??? You suggest it at least for second time already, but without being specific. Are there discussions about ghosts, afterlife, metaphysics, very alternative sources of energy, and so on? I haven't seen such a section here yet. Trollville isn't suitable, it's half-dead, and half content-free. I haven't ever seen a suitable forum.
Btw, do you also think, that in a discussion on a certain topic, only "rational" opinions are allowed? If atheists discuss ghosts, is it supposed to be like "yeah, I think they doesn't exist, just as 50 people before me" ? What's the point in starting such a discussion, then?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"Such a concentrated amount

"Such a concentrated amount of lies is highly improbable. Find a better hypothesis, there must be a simplier solution. A lie must have a motive. Huge amount of lies must have a huge amount of motives. And where are these? "

One doesn't need a complicated or nefarious motive for lies. For lies to oneself in particular, the motive can be "It makes me feel better/takes less effort to believe the lie (even though I know it for what it is)".

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Luminon wrote: And today,

Jormungander wrote:
Luminon wrote:
And today, people can't imagine, that Tesla put into work a forms of energies, which are unknown, and literally "imaginary" in a couple of senses of this word. For example, the 'imaginary' part of the electric current.

You are mixing up the value of root -1 with make believe. Imaginary numbers and those spirits that you believe in are two different kinds of imaginary.
This is why there is written the sentence ""imaginary" in a couple of senses of this word". There's one more meaning, which connects one Tesla's energy with a world of imagination and thoughts, but it's so esoteric, that it was rather a personal joke.

Jormungander wrote:
Some advice for the future: when discussing something with skeptics, do NOT bust out your crazy conspiracy theories.
But conspiration is a way, how a minority rules to a majority. It's common in plutocracy, which is today prevalent in the world. Governing structures are so big and complicated, because they're full of various interest groups.
And what is crazy, and what not, is very, very relative. Sometimes I might not guess what is and isn't normal for you guys here.

Jormungander wrote:
There is no such thing as free energy. The laws of thermodynamics won't allow it. 
The idea of having free energy is just a connection to an external source, where is a plenty of energy, so it looks like it is free, working forever, or taking the energy from nowhere. But it's just how it looks like. The energetic demands for this process can be very low, because they often use an effect of "gravity drainage". An energy on a higher level, when given a chance, streams to a lower level.

Jormungander wrote:
Even if there was a way to make free energy, someone would patent it and be the richest man on earth. The first person to get that patent would be the Bill Gates of energy.
I'm sorry, but the market doesn't work that way. If there would be anything like a free market in this world, then yes, but it is not. The energy market is already occupied, and it's keepers does everything necessary to make it stay so. You see this principle in evolution too - the ecologic niche is occupied by strong, predacious species, who can't tolerate a concurence. They don't have problems with paying for electricity bills, they want to keep people paying.

Gotta go, will continue later.

Jormungander wrote:
Jello wrote:
I don't care if you do or don't learn how to apply critical thinking to your line of inquiry, (as you obviously haven't, or you wouldn't be saying shit like "objectivity is nothing but a set of identic or similar subjective experiences" ).

That is something else that I forgot to mention. Luminon seemed to be attacking objectivity as a way of validating his subjectivity. If he can not rise up to our standards then apparently he will try and drag our standards down to his level. It is like a creationist trying to lower the standards of science so that his magical beliefs can slip by.

I don't mind the objectivity, I just advise to never forget, that it is an artificial construct, which consists of many scientific studies, which are hopefully true. And because science can't embrace everything, as for it could (unknown knowledge), and could not (values of life, "spirituality", and so on), there is logically a great space for what is not objective. I can even say, that majority of the world isn't objective, because it isn't, or can't be yet studied in a laboratory. Holding onto the "objectivity" for all costs is comfortable and useful, but at the same time, someone must go beyond it and push the limits.

jcgadfly wrote:
Quote:
"Such a concentrated amount of lies is highly improbable. Find a better hypothesis, there must be a simplier solution. A lie must have a motive. Huge amount of lies must have a huge amount of motives. And where are these? "

One doesn't need a complicated or nefarious motive for lies. For lies to oneself in particular, the motive can be "It makes me feel better/takes less effort to believe the lie (even though I know it for what it is)". 

If I would want to feel better, I wouldn't be here in the first place Smiling Or I would lie about myself, to appear as a typical atheist with typical skeptic opinions. Then I would have a looooot of friends, we would cheer up each other in debunking a theist crap and everything would be OK. Except that it wouldn't be me, and I would have no relationship to that false identity, and thus it would have no meaning at all. Lies doesn't have a meaning, and a good discussion requires people to trust each other. Lying is senseless, it's a waste of time. Trust in each other has advantages.
1) it saves a time, which would be otherwise wasted on the long paragraphs, like the "you are a liar" rants. For the purposes of discussion, the premises should be considered automatically true. 
2) with the truth, you don't have to remember what you said. Being incoherent in a longer discussion is, what usually exposes a lie. Police interrogators knows that, when they let the criminals repeat a testimony over and over.
3) a value can be transferred through the internet communication only by the truth. Lie has no value, because it has no relation to a real world, where the values are.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Being incoherent in a

Quote:

Being incoherent in a longer discussion is, what usually exposes a lie.

I'm taking your lack of irony here as evidence then that you are one of the worst liars I have ever come across.

How can you not understand that you are ill?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:I'm taking

Nordmann wrote:
I'm taking your lack of irony here as evidence then that you are one of the worst liars I have ever come across.

The nature of delusion is that the deluded simply can not differentiate between the fantasy and reality.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:I'm taking

Nordmann wrote:

It is a common enough illness that Luminon can find others who support such delusions. Being able to be around other woo-woo believers will reinforce Luminon's beliefs and prevent Luminon from thinking that he (she?) is ill.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote: Nordmann

Jormungander wrote:
Nordmann wrote:

It is a common enough illness that Luminon can find others who support such delusions. Being able to be around other woo-woo believers will reinforce Luminon's beliefs and prevent Luminon from thinking that he (she?) is ill.
Please note the difference about a belief, and a sensoric perception.
Belief is not able to cause a perception, however, a perception is able to cause a belief.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Belief can cause or at least

Belief can cause or at least alter perceptions.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any type of stupidity can

Any type of stupidity can give rise to a belief. Misinterpretation of data gives rise to many.

Sensory perception can, as you say, also give rise to belief. But if the explanation for what has been perceived is influenced by a belief which arose from misinterpretation of data previously, then it means doodleysquat. The rationale is dishonest. The implications drawn are dishonest. Worse, the promulgation of the belief is doubly dishonest and the defence of that belief even more so.

You are not well luminon. You have bought into a mindset that is grounded in dishonesty. Since both the perpetrator and the victim of the dishonesty is yourself you will probably never see it. But I, and almost everyone else who suffers your bullshit here, can.

Most here choose to be conciliatory towards you. I do not. I have seen the damage that people like you can do to others who are impressionable or vulnerable. What they need is affirmation of their ability to think critically and reasonably. What they don't need is your brand of crap which both undermines and attempts to obliterate their chances of employing their critical faculties. Every time you commit yet more of it to this website you subvert and distort, with an ease that should even worry you, the principle on which this website was founded and by which most of its contributors live - a respect for and adherence to the truth.

You are a liar. Whether you know it or not is immaterial. You have other faults too which have become apparent, but this is the overriding one. Sort it out and come back later. Or use exposure to rational people to sort out the mess you're in. Just stop with the constant insertions of copious bullshit in the meantime. It's tedious, disruptive and insulting to the rest of us. But worst of all in the context of where you're indulgng yourself in your arrogant pursual of propagating crap, it is a potential contributor to this website's demise.

Wise up.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Belief is not

Luminon wrote:

Belief is not able to cause a perception

100% wrong. My example of "I can feel Jesus' love" holds true for this. People with certain beliefs get altered perceptions from them. Some people have told me that God speaks to them, in actual words in their head. These auditory hallucinations (which is a kind of perception; albeit a crazy kind) are caused only by their beliefs. You crazy perceptions of feeling spirits and feeling energy pulse in your head is exactly the same as someone feeling the Holy Spirit within them. Your beliefs directly lead you to perceive certain things. This is why scientists use instruments to measure things. My eyes can fool me, the spectrometer can not.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:Luminon

Jormungander wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Belief is not able to cause a perception

100% wrong. My example of "I can feel Jesus' love" holds true for this. People with certain beliefs get altered perceptions from them. Some people have told me that God speaks to them, in actual words in their head. These auditory hallucinations (which is a kind of perception; albeit a crazy kind) are caused only by their beliefs. You crazy perceptions of feeling spirits and feeling energy pulse in your head is exactly the same as someone feeling the Holy Spirit within them. Your beliefs directly lead you to perceive certain things. This is why scientists use instruments to measure things. My eyes can fool me, the spectrometer can not.

This is not what I mean - this contains too much of hidden assumptions. I meant the perception in a state of tabula rasa.
In this case, the reason, why a belief is not able to cause a perception is, that a perception precedes the belief. Belief simply doesn't exist before the perception. Not even the disbelief.
This is definitely my case. I had very similar opinion on some things if you'd ask me today, just as if you'd ask me 15 years ago. My perception is inborn, and I don't really know when I realized it, I first had to learn that others aren't like that. Then I learned, that some people are.
My perception is exactly like yours or anyone else's, plus something more. This something formed my deep conviction, that there is always something more and there's always possible more than we could even imagine. Remember the first Clarke's law:
When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
I had already seen a lot of so-called "impossible", thus I'd use this word very carefully and I suggest you too.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:This is not

Luminon wrote:

This is not what I mean

Then I suppose you should not have written it.

Luminon wrote:

I meant the perception in a state of tabula rasa.
In this case, the reason, why a belief is not able to cause a perception is, that a perception precedes the belief. Belief simply doesn't exist before the perception. Not even the disbelief.

There is no such thing as a state of tabula rasa. Maybe if you are talking about a three year old's perceptions you could say it is in a state of tabula rasa. By talking about beliefs we are automatically not talking about a state of tabula rasa. Also lots of people are simply told what to believe by those around them. So not everyone even bothers using their own senses or thinking to find out what they should believe. They just find some group to spoon feed them easy answers.

Luminon wrote:

My perception is exactly like yours or anyone else's, plus something more.

On one hand I don't like to accuse you of woo-woo nonsense every time you post something. On the other hand every post you make contains woo-woo nonsense. So I guess that once again I will call this one as it is: woo-woo nonsense. What is this extra perception that you have? Is it what you use to feel spirits and pulsating energy fields in your head?

Luminon wrote:

I had already seen a lot of so-called "impossible", thus I'd use this word very carefully and I suggest you too.

I never even used the word 'impossible.' If I had used it, then maybe this comment would have made sense. Did someone else use the word 'impossible' and I just missed it?