Bible god's name?

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible god's name?

I just stumbled on something while reading exodus one day. How many people ever got in trouble for saying "goddamn it?" My mom used to get on me all the time about using the lord's name in vain, which is kind of surprising as she never really was a very religious person. However, god in this context is more of a title than its' name so my question is: What is the real name of the bible god?

"For thou shalt worship no other god: for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." (Exodus 34:14)

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"We desire to understand

"We desire to understand the world by giving names to the things we see,
but these things are only the effects of something subtle. [ something else]

When we see beyond the desire to use names,
we can sense the nameless cause of these effects.

The cause and the effects are aspects of the same, one thing. [ONE]
They are both mysterious and profound. [ Yeah WTF ! ]
At their most mysterious and profound point lies the "Gate of the Great Truth"."  [the unknown]

~ "Often translated as: "The Tao that can be explained with words is not the Tao."

I enjoyed this read a fews years back .... No, it is not perfect, just helpful ....

How Can One Be A Taoist-Buddhist Confucian?--
        A Chinese Illustration of Multuple Religious Participation

http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/INTLVIEW/intlvi02.htm

Wow the first verse of the Tao is an interesting use of words ...  which has been re-written 1000's of times ....

"The Tao the can be told of 
Is not the Absolute Tao; 
The Names that can be given 
Are not Absolute Names."

I find the Tao, and much eastern writing of so long ago simply part of my amazement and pride of being human. The bible is mostly a piss off .....

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jealous, El, Elohim,

Jealous, El, Elohim, Yahweh.  There's more, but those are what spring to mind.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Jealous, El,

thingy wrote:

Jealous, El, Elohim, Yahweh.  There's more, but those are what spring to mind.

Elohim is a plural. Are christians polytheists?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is why I always tell

This is why I always tell people context and original language is important.  Reading the English translation will screw you up.  In the Hebrew Bible, there are references to the Elohim, the pantheon of Gods, ruled by El-yon, the father "Most High" of the many Gods of his offspring.  Yahweh is one of the sons of El-yon.  See my article here.

Additionally, many things are eponymous in Jewish literature, including God - who in this case is named for his actions.  Just as he is "I am who I am" according to his speech (via the burning bush), he is jealousy, as he is everything.   This is the author of Exodus' way  of getting that message across. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If the Christards are right

If the Christards are right I'll call him "Fuckwad" when I meet him. Shit, I'd be going to hell anyway what more can he do?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team