I hate being villianized in TV and movies

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate being villianized in TV and movies

Argh this is making me boil! Why is it everywhere I look, in tv and movies, we are villianized? (that was rhetorical) So I'm a fan of sci-fi shows, and usually in them the advanced humans/alien races are atheist. (at least in stargate sg-1) I love it because the characters talk about how humanity eventually overcomes the barbaric superstitions of invisible men in the sky, and when there is a problem it usually is a group of religious fanatics. (Again, at least in Stargate SG-1) I've recently started watching the new Battlestar Galactica series and I quickly took a liking to one of the main characters, a scientist named Dr. Gaius Baltar. In the first scene we see him, he's talking to his religious zealot fantasy woman trying to explain to her how the whole idea of god(s) is(are) ridiculous. But he's slowly turned into a villain. He's portrayed as weak, only interested in his own survival, and desperate. He eventually repents and accepts some lone, true god as his savior (whichever one his cylon hallucination keeps jabbing on about) in a last ditch attempt to save his skin.

And to make matters worse, every time something serendipitous happens, the good guys always say "thank god(s)." It's really fucking pissing me off.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:So I'm a

Medievalguy wrote:

So I'm a fan of sci-fi shows, and usually in them the advanced humans/alien races are atheist. (at least in stargate sg-1) I love it because the characters talk about how humanity eventually overcomes the barbaric superstitions of invisible men in the sky, and when there is a problem it usually is a group of religious fanatics. (Again, at least in Stargate SG-1) I've recently started watching the new Battlestar Galactica series and I quickly took a liking to one of the main characters, a scientist named Dr. Gaius Baltar. In the first scene we see him, he's talking to his religious zealot fantasy woman trying to explain to her how the whole idea of god(s) is(are) ridiculous. But he's slowly turned into a villain. He's portrayed as weak, only interested in his own survival, and desperate. He eventually repents and accepts some lone, true god as his savior (whichever one his cylon hallucination keeps jabbing on about) in a last ditch attempt to save his skin.

And to make matters worse, every time something serendipitous happens, the good guys always say "thank god(s)." It's really fucking pissing me off.

Whats so wrong about being the villan? We're always rich, powerful, intelligent... have hordes of minions, ambition, stylin threads. Sure, we lose alot in the cartoons... but this is real life... the villan always wins  (just look at the crap in this world and tell me im wrong >.> )

Who cares if you get a bad rap on tv... your a villan! just bribe, threaten, and kill people until they like you!

Oh! i forgot to mention the cookies... sweet, sweet, cookies... mmm evil cookies...

What Would Kharn Do?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Medievalguy wrote:

So I'm a fan of sci-fi shows, and usually in them the advanced humans/alien races are atheist. (at least in stargate sg-1) I love it because the characters talk about how humanity eventually overcomes the barbaric superstitions of invisible men in the sky, and when there is a problem it usually is a group of religious fanatics. (Again, at least in Stargate SG-1) I've recently started watching the new Battlestar Galactica series and I quickly took a liking to one of the main characters, a scientist named Dr. Gaius Baltar. In the first scene we see him, he's talking to his religious zealot fantasy woman trying to explain to her how the whole idea of god(s) is(are) ridiculous. But he's slowly turned into a villain. He's portrayed as weak, only interested in his own survival, and desperate. He eventually repents and accepts some lone, true god as his savior (whichever one his cylon hallucination keeps jabbing on about) in a last ditch attempt to save his skin.

Whats so wrong about being the villan? We're always rich, powerful, intelligent... have hordes of minions, ambition, stylin threads. Sure, we lose alot in the cartoons... but this is real life... the villan always wins  (just look at the crap in this world and tell me im wrong >.> )

Who cares if you get a bad rap on tv... your a villan! just bribe, threaten, and kill people until they like you!

Oh! i forgot to mention the cookies... sweet, sweet, cookies... mmm evil cookies...

What is wrong with it? The same thing that was wrong with blacks only getting parts as maids, slaves or criminals.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Whats

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Whats so wrong about being the villan? We're always rich, powerful, intelligent... have hordes of minions, ambition, stylin threads.

I agree. The good guys are always such mediocre chump-ass bitches. Viva villainy!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:What is wrong

Brian37 wrote:

What is wrong with it? The same thing that was wrong with blacks only getting parts as maids, slaves or criminals.

You forgot the most condescending role: wise old black (wo)man. Or the entirety of Gone With the Wind - hours that will never be returned to me - that seems to say, "oh, those silly negroes". That, and "If you're going to marry your cousin, make sure to start the KKK. Don't worry, everyone's on your side in movie land."

Possibly the worst movie of all time. I wanted to be the villain in that one, that's for sure.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know what you take

I don't know what you take from Batllestar Galactica (BG from now on) Medi-guy, but I think it deals excellently with religious themes.

Firstly, I like Baltar. He is the villian, yes, but unlike most villians in classic American storytelling, he is really fleshed out. You get very much under his skin, and get intimately familiar with his motivations. You may not agree with them, but you can't deny his motives, like with so many bad guys. His not the classic "he wears the black hat, so he's just EVIL, period" kinda villian. He's much more complex than that. And mind you, do you think he becomes NICER as he repents and embrases the Cylon (note, monotheistic) God?

The Cylons too, are much more complex than just: "They are evil". Think of the Sharon Cylons, and the Six'es (Baltar's blond girl). They are themselves constantly strugling with their role in the whole thing.

And oftentimes religious fervour is shown in a very ambigious light. Think of the episode where the people from that one planet of the twelve colonies, where there are many strongly religious people (Alegory of the Bible Belt states, anyone?) , that don't want the vacine for the virus, thus endangering the whole fleet.

And the most evil acts commited by the Cylons are almost always explained by their fanatical faith in their ONE God, which very much resembles the God of Abraham.

And many of the main characters don't seem to be religious at all. The Adamas, both father and son for example, don't appear to be religious at all, they are just accepting of the other people's faith, because they feel they have more important things to worry about.

And finally, Starbuck, who seems the main character who takes her religion most seriously, is explained to be that way because her mother was a harsh, un-loving, controlling parent, who forced her to be religious, and that causes many problems for Starbuck in adulthood. Hardly a rosy portrail of a religious upbringing.

I think you should read between the lines. BG is, to me, a show that, unlike so much of what comes out of America, deals with religious themes in a very mature, and thoughtprovoking way.

I'm not saying I worship (hehe, pun intended) the show, but I do think it is a well written, well thought out, and generally mature TV-show. I enjoy it.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Never watched this one. Only

Never watched this one. Only one I saw was the one where the cylons were big robots that had a red thing bouncing back and forth on their head.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm just finishing off

I'm just finishing off season 3 and it's starting to bug me too. However, since there is still one last season to go, so I'm hoping they turn it around.

On the other hand, I really do appreciate how the Cylons constantly attribute everything to "God's plan" as they commit genocide, torture and generally act completely amoral.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:Argh this

Medievalguy wrote:

Argh this is making me boil! Why is it everywhere I look, in tv and movies, we are villianized? (that was rhetorical) So I'm a fan of sci-fi shows, and usually in them the advanced humans/alien races are atheist. (at least in stargate sg-1) I love it because the characters talk about how humanity eventually overcomes the barbaric superstitions of invisible men in the sky, and when there is a problem it usually is a group of religious fanatics. (Again, at least in Stargate SG-1) I've recently started watching the new Battlestar Galactica series and I quickly took a liking to one of the main characters, a scientist named Dr. Gaius Baltar. In the first scene we see him, he's talking to his religious zealot fantasy woman trying to explain to her how the whole idea of god(s) is(are) ridiculous. But he's slowly turned into a villain. He's portrayed as weak, only interested in his own survival, and desperate. He eventually repents and accepts some lone, true god as his savior (whichever one his cylon hallucination keeps jabbing on about) in a last ditch attempt to save his skin.

As a bit of background, Baltar doesn't "turn into" the bad guy.  If you've watched any of the original, he was ALWAYS the bad guy; they're just giving him WAY more depth in the retelling of the story than they did in the original.  I find it interesting that the "bad guys" in the show are mono- instead of polytheistic, like the colonists.

I am a huge sucker for a well-done bad guy; they're always more interesting than the good guys.  Villains never think they're "bad" people (DoomedSoul excepted), right?  Does Darth Vader spend a lot of time going "hee hee, I'm so eeeeevil"?  The interest comes from ascertaining the motivations of the villains, and why they choose to do what they do.  Who's more interesting as a character, Batman or Superman?  Give me the antihero over the Boy Scout any day.

Quote:

But that's the culture in which they live.  Come to think of it, look at the culture of BSG in relation to American culture of today: is it much different?  Overtly religious with quite a few holdouts, militaristic, a politicking government, religious insurgency...this is why I think BSG is one of the best shows on TV today; the scifi aspect of it is incidental to the stories they're telling.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:I don't know

Nikolaj wrote:

I don't know what you take from Batllestar Galactica (BG from now on) Medi-guy, but I think it deals excellently with religious themes.

Firstly, I like Baltar. He is the villian, yes, but unlike most villians in classic American storytelling, he is really fleshed out. You get very much under his skin, and get intimately familiar with his motivations. You may not agree with them, but you can't deny his motives, like with so many bad guys. His not the classic "he wears the black hat, so he's just EVIL, period" kinda villian. He's much more complex than that. And mind you, do you think he becomes NICER as he repents and embrases the Cylon (note, monotheistic) God?

The Cylons too, are much more complex than just: "They are evil". Think of the Sharon Cylons, and the Six'es (Baltar's blond girl). They are themselves constantly strugling with their role in the whole thing.

And oftentimes religious fervour is shown in a very ambigious light. Think of the episode where the people from that one planet of the twelve colonies, where there are many strongly religious people (Alegory of the Bible Belt states, anyone?) , that don't want the vacine for the virus, thus endangering the whole fleet.

And the most evil acts commited by the Cylons are almost always explained by their fanatical faith in their ONE God, which very much resembles the God of Abraham.

And many of the main characters don't seem to be religious at all. The Adamas, both father and son for example, don't appear to be religious at all, they are just accepting of the other people's faith, because they feel they have more important things to worry about.

And finally, Starbuck, who seems the main character who takes her religion most seriously, is explained to be that way because her mother was a harsh, un-loving, controlling parent, who forced her to be religious, and that causes many problems for Starbuck in adulthood. Hardly a rosy portrail of a religious upbringing.

I think you should read between the lines. BG is, to me, a show that, unlike so much of what comes out of America, deals with religious themes in a very mature, and thoughtprovoking way.

I'm not saying I worship (hehe, pun intended) the show, but I do think it is a well written, well thought out, and generally mature TV-show. I enjoy it.

I totally agree with this.

I see Baltar almost as if he represents the naked human ego.  He lives merely by his wants and desires, w/o much thought to moral principles.  As far as moral principles go, he seems to be a blank slate.

Although Baltar is very intelligent and can see through the fictional nature of various religions, the fact that he has not attached himself to any type of moral principle (or developed his own morals), renders him easily seduced by or vulnerable to religion when subjected to the proper amount of coercion.

I agree that he is a fascinating character. 

And the destructive force (Cylons/Machines) respresent Monotheism.  The human face embraces either polytheism, as well as their own moral code, or almost a brand of secularism.   

The Machines already have a sort of immortality, but desperately want/need some sort of humanity.  The humans possess this already, but like all humans, desperately desire....immortality.

The President uses religion to her advantage, especially when it comes to influencing elections.  She states:  "It's time to play the religion card", showing that the writers clearly understand the role religions play all through history. 

Nikolaj is right.  It's far more complex than most shows that come from the U.S.... Maybe it's the Canadian influence.  Most of the actors are Canadian and it's filmed there.  Maybe the writers too ?  Anyway, it's a fascinating show.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:I am a huge

shikko wrote:

I am a huge sucker for a well-done bad guy; they're always more interesting than the good guys.  Villains never think they're "bad" people (DoomedSoul excepted), right?  Does Darth Vader spend a lot of time going "hee hee, I'm so eeeeevil"?  The interest comes from ascertaining the motivations of the villains, and why they choose to do what they do.  Who's more interesting as a character, Batman or Superman?  Give me the antihero over the Boy Scout any day.

Well, it does vary... there are the villans that "know" that by societies standards, that they are "evil"... and then some choose to revel in it. The spectrum is just so broad, its hard to even generalize o_O. Vader might not sit around going "heehee eeevil..." but "Dr.Evil" sure as shit does ... eww... did i just compare myself to dr.evil ?

What Would Kharn Do?

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Never

MattShizzle wrote:

Never watched this one. Only one I saw was the one where the cylons were big robots that had a red thing bouncing back and forth on their head.

See, I got tired of my friends constantly talking about it and reading all the critiques that kept saying, "It's the best show on TV".

So here's what you do, Matt.  Go down to Blockbuster (or whatever video store is close) and rent the 4 hour miniseries that started the whole thing.  Get yourself a cold drink and watch it.

And just like that you'll be hooked.  It's not a good plot.......It's a great plot.   If for nothing else, there are a # of female characters that can only be described as...way hot !!

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
4 hours is too long. If I

4 hours is too long. If I was gonna do that I'd bittorrent it.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Battlestar Galactica is

Battlestar Galactica is based upon the tale of the Mormons fleeing persecution so it's not surprising it would adopt some religious themes.  For positive godless characters turn to Star Trek and Dr. Who.  Mr. Spock is a logical, rational godless type, as is Dr. Who (both series written by Atheists).  In Firefly the captain and the genius River are Atheists.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
My inner nerd is so happy

My inner nerd is so happy that you guys also watch BG. And Nikolaj, I really like your analysis. Since I just got into season 2 i'm starting to see more and more of how you said:

"the most evil acts commited by the Cylons are almost always explained by their fanatical faith in their ONE God, which very much resembles the God of Abraham."

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
BSGAdmiral Adama is an

BSG

Admiral Adama is an atheist but 'respects' religion

The Cylons are actually very mixed from out right atheists to religious hippies to total fanatics

Baltar is on a 'journey', some of the shit he pretends some he may well believe himself

Regardless BSG is not propaganda for either atheism or christianity (or even Zeus) its just extermely good fiction that religions has a large part in . It's a bit like saying the original Omen movie was a bad movie because of the way it portrays fiction god and satan.

But don't get me on Stargate. while it can be quite entertaining its morality is utterly utterly appalling.

It's in my opinion openly racist (not in the black people are bad but they are 'noble savages' shit) but even worse is how it portrays the use of the military.

Do people really think its reasonably behaviour to go another people's world  (country) with armed soldiers just to 'explore'. You send an unarmed diplomat and if he comes back without someone eating him then you consider further actions. If he does get eaten you either go to war or you avoid the place.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: Do people

mrjonno wrote:

Do people really think its reasonably behaviour to go another people's world  (country) with armed soldiers just to 'explore'.

Yes...  how can you even ask such a question? you always send in a fighting force first, thats how its done!

mrjonno wrote:

You send an unarmed diplomat and if he comes back without someone eating him then you consider further actions. If he does get eaten you either go to war or you avoid the place.

Oh sure, give the alien abominations time to savor our flesh and study our meek, meaty, offering... give them the time they need to decide where to pursue a greater meal, or take a nap after supper  (i hear humans are worse then turkeys)

What Would Kharn Do?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
both

You really want to be villian-ized by the moo moo wearing, gravy stained, bible thumping, orgasm-less, catastrophies who refer to themselves as "middle america"? ...try being an atheist...*&* a swinger.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:4 hours is

MattShizzle wrote:

4 hours is too long. If I was gonna do that I'd bittorrent it.

You can watch past and recent shows of BG and a lot of other things at this link.  Check it out, the quality is not great for most of the shows but your can watch them anytime you want.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
thanks for that site

thanks for that site bulldog, ive been watching crappy pirated videos all morning ^_^ *looks at the clock*... err... day o_O

What Would Kharn Do?

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:You really

Rich Woods wrote:

You really want to be villian-ized by the moo moo wearing, gravy stained, bible thumping, orgasm-less, catastrophies who refer to themselves as "middle america"? ...try being an atheist...*&* a swinger.

Yeah, geez, Rich.

Ya know, I never really thought about it before but that is the double whammy !

Ouch... here's hopin' science discovers a decent drug 

to counteract those virgin-birth, bible village villian-izers.

Fanas
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:Argh this

Medievalguy wrote:

Yea, Battlestar galactica sucks BIG TIME. That's the only series i saw in which i actually hated most of the characters.

But i quite liked that all the humans were portrayed like intolerant, hating, violent assholes, which most of the humans actually are.

prisonnurse1
User is offlineOffline
battlestar galactica

i've watched maybe part of one episode of this show.  i've watched star trek lot...mostly due to my mother and DH being trekkies.  i think people in general get far too involved with tv.  read too much into a medium that generally rots your brain, and rarely has a basis in reality.   i'd rather read.  or watch robot chicken instead.  what can i say, i'm really twisted.

I'd rather be a moral atheist than an amoral theist.