war;religion;gas prices;politics.

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
war;religion;gas prices;politics.

These subjects I wanted to share with everyone because War, Religion, and Gas prices all connect in a way that I never really thought of before, I am so confident about the science fair for my school this year, because I don't believe in religion and I wanted that subject to relate to my project, this year I'm doing a split project, which obviously means I am doing two different subjects that in a way relate. I wanted to do one half of my project to deal with religion/war, and the other half to deal with gas prices/war/politics.

How in about 200-500 years or less,

we will not be able to drive cars, we will not be able to make deliveries of food products, any that is, because we wont have vehicles to drive, some people say we could possible use hydrogen, and vegetable oil (for cars), but we need oil to make cars, we need oil for the machines to make these things, oil cant last forever.

If we don't act on this now, the world can come to an end.

Its all, the behavior of humans.

ITS ALL, the behavior of humans.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amoron. wrote:How in about

Amoron. wrote:

How in about 200-500 years or less,

Well, depending on how big china booms, (and not taking into account world wars) thats a pretty accurate estimate

Amoron. wrote:

we will not be able to drive cars, we will not be able to make deliveries of food products,

Not true, we will be able to, just not in the fashion we do today

Amoron. wrote:

any that is, because we wont have vehicles to drive,

yes we will

Amoron. wrote:

some people say we could possible use hydrogen, and vegetable oil (for cars),

hydrogen, maybe, veggy oil, never

Amoron. wrote:

but we need oil to make cars, we need oil for the machines to make these things, oil cant last forever.

no we dont, no we dont, and duh

Amoron. wrote:

No it wont, not until our sun explodes and consumes the planet, at least >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
You rock Amoron... thanks

You rock Amoron... thanks for thinking and sharing your thoughts ....  yeah how can we survive happiest , to the final end, if there will be an end ? What about the NOW?

Finding a new home or living is space seems an impossibility. Hey aliens, SOS from planet earth ! ~~~~~ 

Tesla Electric Car -  7 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRd7ER7u-KU

who KILLED the Electric Car? You DID! - 5 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlAbj6N9nA0&feature=related

"The Electric car, We should be all driving an electric car. They have been in use for over 30 years. Now the oil companies don't wont us to have them. So they are doing everything they can to stop the manufacturing of the electric car!"  ??? 

Go Battery Science - "Electric car"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car

-----------------------------------

Nano-Antenna - Heat collector for energy souce
  Heard on, "Talk of the nation, science friday"

Google, Nano Antenna Energy Source

Nano-Antenna Arrays to Capture Heat [ energy source ]
http://www.e3alive.org/2008/08/11/nano-antenna-arrays-to-capture-heat/

"The nanoantennas target mid-infrared rays, which the Earth continuously radiates as heat after absorbing energy from the sun during the day. In contrast, traditional solar cells can only use visible light, rendering them idle after dark. Infrared radiation is an especially rich energy source because it also is generated by industrial processes such as coal-fired plants.

Umm, go science, save us !

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
The earth will come to an

The earth will come to an end, one way or another.The Doomed Soul, they already are making cars that run on hydrogen.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amoron. wrote:I wanted to do

Amoron. wrote:
I wanted to do one half of my project to deal with religion/war, and the other half to deal with gas prices/war/politics.

You could probably do it as one project. Might I humbly suggest the following material as an introduction:

Robert Newman's History of Oil

Amoron. wrote:
How in about 200-500 years or less

How about less? Even given a plateau scenario (where oil can be pumped at a steady rate for a number of years) we've still just maxed out. So more like "in our lifetimes ..."

Amoron. wrote:
we could possible use hydrogen

Engineering-wise, this one's not ready for prime time. They do make the cars, but the hydrogen comes from methane.

Amoron. wrote:
and vegetable oil (for cars), but we need oil to make cars, we need oil for the machines to make these things, oil cant last forever.

To be honest, I give it ten years. 

Amoron. wrote:

It's probably not that bad. We just won't have all the electronics, and more people will ride bicycles.

What's funny is that it would pretty much solve the global warming dilemma.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Amoron.
Amoron.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Not everyone can ride

Not everyone can ride bicycles, i bet 75% of people will not ride bicycles, then they couldn't get the things they need.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Dunno...

I thoroughly dislike cars, I take the bicycle for any location within 30 km/20 miles. Works fine for me and keeps me in shape as well.

And to attempt to derail the topic to my pet peeve: if people in the West would just eat half as much meat as they do now, they would conserve more energy then by leaving the car in the garage. Oh, and also conserve 20 long showers per day worth of water. Although I must admit that I will only be totally happy when everybody is a vegetarian.

Did that sound religious enough? Eye-wink

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Well I live in a 1st world

Well I live in a 1st world country have  a reasonable standard of living and I've never had a car and its highly unlikely I ever will do.

Personal cars are optional (maybe not while living the life you currently do) but quite possible with a high standard of living

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amoron. wrote:Not everyone

Amoron. wrote:
Not everyone can ride bicycles

Are you suggesting they're unable to learn, or physically disabled in some way? I'm asking seriously - I really don't know what you mean. There are lots of countries where the bicycle is or was the dominant mode of transportation.

Amoron. wrote:
i bet 75% of people will not ride bicycles, then they couldn't get the things they need.

You mean refuse to ride bicycles and starve? That seems a bit extreme. 

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think solar and wind power

i think solar and wind power can take us a long way. but we will have to cut back on a lot of things including our ridiculous populations worldwide. 

check out http://dieoff.org/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The US is definitely not set

The US is definitely not set up for bicycles due to the distances involved.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The US is

MattShizzle wrote:

The US is definitely not set up for bicycles due to the distances involved.

You mean the average US physique is not set up for bicycles? I agree. North Americans have become total pussies.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mohammed wrote:i think solar

mohammed wrote:

i think solar and wind power can take us a long way. but we will have to cut back on a lot of things including our ridiculous populations worldwide. 

Hydroelectric dams are still the best, but solar and wind might be able to help. We have to cut back on a lot of things like the current state of our economy. Also, iPods, Blackberries, cellphones and computers. Then we'll have to deal with the lack of food problem. I have a feeling that'll do it for controlling populations.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Only a real athlete could

Only a real athlete could ride a bike 20 + miles to work. Even a short commute here is at least 10 miles - which by the time you got there you'd be too exhausted to work - defeating the purpose. Also, many of us live further than a realistic bike distance to the grocery store (carrying groceries home on a bike would be impossible anyway. ) Not only that, there's plenty of people who never bothered learning to ride a bike nowadays.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:You mean

HisWillness wrote:

You mean the average US physique is not set up for bicycles? I agree. North Americans have become total pussies.

While this is true...

... alright people, raise your hands if you want to ride your lil bike 30km to work, 30km from work, through the mountains, in the winter...

Canada says, "go fuck your self, we're keeping our cars"

What Would Kharn Do?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

... alright people, raise your hands if you want to ride your lil bike 30km to work, 30km from work, through the mountains, in the winter...

Canada says, "go fuck your self, we're keeping our cars"

"Want" would be the key word here. One of my great grandfathers walked 20 miles to school barefoot and stayed with a local family during the week. No exaggeration, his family was dirt poor (in the literal sense) and that's just the only way he could get to school.

As long as people can afford to keep their cars, sure. Once they can't, what they want isn't going to have much of a bearing on the situation.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Even a

MattShizzle wrote:
Even a short commute here is at least 10 miles - which by the time you got there you'd be too exhausted to work - defeating the purpose.

That's ridiculous. I used to bike 12km to school every day in high school. When you get there you're more alert than anyone else. After that, I had a 14km ride to work for two years. I'm not a cyclist, I just couldn't afford a car.

MattShizzle wrote:
Also, many of us live further than a realistic bike distance to the grocery store (carrying groceries home on a bike would be impossible anyway. )

I'll let you guess how I get my groceries. Two pannier packs take care of the problem, if you still think it's "impossible".

MattShizzle wrote:
Not only that, there's plenty of people who never bothered learning to ride a bike nowadays.

I understand that you never learned to ride a bike. It's about as hard as learning to drive.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I learned how to ride one,

I learned how to ride one (haven't done so in about 18 years though. ) , but riding one 2 miles would exhaust me to the point I couldn't do anything afterward - probably for the rest of the day. I don't know about you, but when we buy groceries it fills the trunk and backseat of a station wagon - and weighs way more than a person could carry. Actually I'm not sure I could ride one at all anymore due to severe balance problems over the last couple years.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Actually

MattShizzle wrote:

Actually I'm not sure I could ride one at all anymore due to severe balance problems over the last couple years.

That I'll buy. Obviously it's impossible for you, then, to be on a bicycle. I'm not going to say you're somehow wussing out, since it would be unfair to ask someone who literally can't ride a bicycle to do so.

On the other hand, I seriously recommend finding some kind of activity to do. It helps to remove depressive states of mind. Exercise is probably the most effective anti-depressant, but nobody says that, for some reason.

K, I'll stop jacking this thread. My point was that we have a great capacity to do things without burning oil, and in fact we did them successfully for several thousands of years. In the coming discomfort, we may have to give up luxuries like whining and self-centered affirmations.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
i ride about 3 miles a day,

i ride about 3 miles a day, for a workout i bet if i hook a generator up to it it could make enough power for my cell phone Smiling. Anyway any power alternative to oil should be used as much as possible. Dams, wind, tidal etc.  you guys should really check dieoff.org i have more hope than they do but they have facts and charts lol!

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
biodiesel?

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Amoron. wrote:

some people say we could possible use hydrogen, and vegetable oil (for cars),

hydrogen, maybe, veggy oil, never

I believe she's talking about biodiesel.  Are you saying that's not possible?  If so, why?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

Not only that, there's plenty of people who never bothered learning to ride a bike nowadays.

Matt, that's insane.  You have to learn to drive a car so the need for people to learn to ride a bike is inconsequential.  Also, since when do young kids not ride bikes?  Are you saying trying to say that they don't leave they house or that kids are more taken in by skateboards and roller blades?  I actually have seen people (i kid you not) roller blade to work - full suit and everything.  Actually, in shorter distances without luggage it seems more practical because you only need to have a change of shoes under your desk as opposed to a place to store the bike.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
wtf?

MattShizzle wrote:

I don't know about you, but when we buy groceries it fills the trunk and backseat of a station wagon - and weighs way more than a person could carry.

You have three people in your house.  How much fucking food are you buying?  That must include the 10 tons of cat food you need every month or something... I prefer to go to the store more often and buy fresh foods.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well, when the closest

Well, when the closest grocery store is 12 miles away you need to buy for the next week.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
my concern with Biodiesel is

my concern with Biodiesel is that most of the ingredients come from sources that are made availible by oil. what happens when oil is gone to Agriculture and it's byproducts including biodiesel? we cant farm and ride bikes there is just simply to many of us.

"On average, it takes 5.5 gallons of fossil energy to restore a year's worth of lost fertility to an acre of eroded land—in 1997 we burned through more than 400 years' worth of ancient fossilized productivity."

"Every single calorie we eat is backed by at least a calorie of oil, more like ten. In 1940 the average farm in the United States produced 2.3 calories of food energy for every calorie of fossil energy it used. By 1974 (the last year in which anyone looked closely at this issue), that ratio was 1:1. And this understates the problem, because at the same time that there is more oil in our food there is less oil in our oil. A couple of generations ago we spent a lot less energy drilling, pumping, and distributing than we do now. In the 1940s we got about 100 barrels of oil back for every barrel of oil we spent getting it. Today each barrel invested in the process returns only ten, a calculation that no doubt fails to include the fuel burned by the Hummers and Blackhawks we use to maintain access to the oil in Iraq. y 1974 (the last year in which anyone looked closely at this issue), that ratio was 1:1. And this understates the problem, because at the same time that there is more oil in our food there is less oil in our oil.

read the whole article i got this from here http://www.harpers.org/archive/2004/02/0079915

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:I believe

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I believe she's talking about biodiesel.  Are you saying that's not possible?  If so, why?

oh i know its possible, and what she was reffering to...

but i, on the other hand, am taking into consideration the positives and negatives... and when a product duals as both fuel AND food, thats a HUGE negative. Produce the fuel, you hit the food supply... Produce the food, you hit the oil supply.

(although in its defense, vehicles that smell like french fries is a huge positive...)

So in essence.

-You have an ever increasing population

-Requiring ever increasing amounts of food

-Which means you need an ever increasing agriculture to match

-... but when you hit the limit, what happens when you divert food to fuel?

-Answer, Profit... err... i mean trouble >.>

Very crude example... but hey, im not complaining

What Would Kharn Do?

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
i guess you didn't read my

i guess you didn't read my post... food and oil are ALREADY tied together without being bio-diesel.  You should do some research on Peak oil. Watch this clip on peak oil!  http://www.chrismartenson.com/peak_oil you wont be disappointed.

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Well, when

MattShizzle wrote:

Well, when the closest grocery store is 12 miles away you need to buy for the next week.

No doubt about that- personally I would use something like this: www.workcycles.nl/workcycles-bakfietsen-images/nijland/grote-bakfiets/grote-klassieke-bakfiets-420.jpg

But I can imagine that many people find 2 x 12 miles too much for a ride. I do wonder though, how many people there are in the West who live 12 miles or more from any grocery store?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:I believe

shelleymtjoy wrote:

The main problem with biodiesel is that it takes more gasoline/diesel/natural gas than it produces. You need to fertilize with natural gas fertilizers, power tractors with gasoline or diesel tractors, and transport with gasoline or diesel trucks and boats. As a local solution (that is, when the biodiesel is made by the same farm that's using the biodiesel) it can work. Once you centralize production of the biodiesel you get problems.

For example, Indonesia has decided that they're going to be on the forefront of biodiesel production so they can be "green". They've turned entire islands into desert so they can plant palm trees, since coconuts produce the most energy-rich oil. That's an ecological disaster created specifically for the purpose of being "green".

Of course, this should be no surprise. That's how human beings deal with drug dependence. Denial, bargaining, everybody-else-is-a-worse-user, etc.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
<quote>The main problem with

<quote>The main problem with bio-diesel is that it takes more gasoline/diesel/natural gas than it produces.</quote>

yes, hiswillness thats what i was saying.  a couple of post up.  i said.

<quote> my concern with Bio-diesel is that most of the ingredients come from sources that are made available by oil. what happens when oil is gone to Agriculture and it's byproducts including bio-diesel? we cant farm and ride bikes there is just simply to many of us.</quote>

You guys don't understand that there is nothing that can replace oil and natural gas as they currently supply 75% of all the energy we use.
im talking about calorie for calorie. The original poster talks about 200 years in the future and fossil fuels will be gone long before then.

Could we come close to replacing them? yes kinda of close with great changes in life style. but if we started working very hard at redesigning our society right now it would take decades. Look around, that isn't happening.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I personally think the best

I personally think the best thing to do would be switch all electrical power to renewable resources like wind/solar/etc where possible and nuclear power where not. If hydrogen engines could be built and work well this would make it viable - as you wouldn't be using oil to make it.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
can you all tell me where

can you all tell me where you're getting the data that biodiesel takes more oil to produce than the amount of energy it provides?  the only information i have here is from watching the film - fields of fuel - and then reading various reviews.  i'd be interested in seeing this alternative information if someone has a link.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:can you

shelleymtjoy wrote:
can you all tell me where you're getting the data that biodiesel takes more oil to produce than the amount of energy it provides?

You don't actually need "data" of the type you're probably thinking. The math is simpler than that. If you take the available energy in a certain volume of biodiesel, and compare it with the available energy in the natural gas and petroleum used to fertilize and transport it, they aren't equal. Removing centralized storage and transportation actually makes biofuels feasable, but keep in mind that's not managable in terms of centralized regulation. It's difficult to control quality when you have innumerable sources of a fuel of possibly varying composition. But the math works if ethanols and biodiesels aren't shipped out of the places they're produced. (Oh, the irony.)

When it comes down to it, petroleum just has more energy-density-to-volume than any other practical solution. Biodiesel and ethanol can't really replace that, so we'd be dealing with a completely different infrastructure regardless. Even oil at this point is experiencing a diminishing return on investment from an energy point of view.

The easiest way to see it is this: right now, we're using the energy of the sun stored millions of years ago (oil) PLUS the current energy of the sun (making food and biofuels). When the oil isn't springing from the ground like it used to, we have to invest more and more energy getting it out, like pumping water into oil wells, etc. The more energy we have to put in, the more we take out of our common pool of energy. The more energy we take out of the common pool, the less we have for infrastructure, government, and empire.

Now imagine that we take the ancient sun out of the equation. That's a huge energy loss. Yes, if we can figure out a way to do that with the available solar energy (which is theoretically possible) I'd be happy. We just don't have it right now. So we'd have to take it out of our food supply. Yikes.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
A quick addendum: There ARE

A quick addendum:

There ARE interesting solutions to the problems of waste energy and efficiency. Right now we're wasting quite a lot of energy with internal combustion vehicles, so estimates of our energy use could be excessive in terms of future needs.

Let's say, for instance, that we had battery depots, where you could travel for a while on your current battery, and simply deposited it at a battery "station" in exchange for a fully charged one at the local price of electricity + profit. That would make battery powered vehicles longer ranged, and make use of the gas station infrastructure.

Compressed air is another interesting way to store energy, as a compressed air pump can be hooked up to a windmill, and store a great amount of energy fairly well.

Anyway, I just didn't want to come off like a complete doomsayer.

mohammed
mohammed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Energy is measured in

Energy is measured in calories. The calorific value of bio-diesel is about 33 MJ/L petro Diesel has about 10% more. But then you would also need to subtract from the bio-diesel if  fossil fuels were used anywhere along the way to make the oils for the bio-diesel.

I don't think there is anything wrong with bio-diesel it is obviously good to use those oils that would otherwise be thrown away.
But the OP was talking about how things will be after fossil fuels and that changes the discussion completely.

Amoron you should go to the links i provided they will be excellent starting points for your research. i have been reading about this subject for at least 10 years and still do not know enough about it IMO. But it's great that you are interested in such an important subject. People like you will help get us on the right track.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Only a

MattShizzle wrote:

Only a real athlete could ride a bike 20 + miles to work.

Nonsense, almost anyone that can ride a bike can ride 20 miles. I went on 15 mile bike excursions with my family starting at around age 10 or 11. And even my little sister, who was 7 or so at that time, and is THE biggest whiner/complainer managed to do it (she hated us all at the end of it, but she did it).

MattShizzle wrote:

Even a short commute here is at least 10 miles - which by the time you got there you'd be too exhausted to work - defeating the purpose.

10 miles is not that far for biking. As HisWillness pointed out, I think the problems are not so much distance, but the average athletic ability of people in North America. Personally, I walk several miles a day just commuting to school/work and running errands... and then on a lot of those days I go back out and run a few more miles and/or lift weights. But yes, anyone that's overweight or out of shape will be physically exhausted after the first half mile of their commute.  That doesn't mean it's impossible, it means that people are lazy.

Obviously, any efforts to help the environment are going to require a shift in our current habits, since current habits are what got us in this predicament to begin with. In this context, which is going to be easier to do - somehow create a more environmentally-friendly version of our current lifestyles, or drop the lazy attitude? In my opinion, it's the latter.

MattShizzle wrote:

Also, many of us live further than a realistic bike distance to the grocery store (carrying groceries home on a bike would be impossible anyway. ) Not only that, there's plenty of people who never bothered learning to ride a bike nowadays.

The first statement I disagree with in most circumstances. There is a small grocery store around the corner from me, but it can be pricey, so I tend to prefer larger chain grocery stores, the closest one of those being about 2-3 miles away. I would expect it is about the same for anyone else living in a city or suburbia. Rural areas are maybe a different story, but most people live within a couple miles of a grocery store.

Now the carrying thing I can understand. I know that even just buying for myself, I usually end up with too much to put on the back basket of my bike. The ways to work around this are either a) take more frequent trips and purchase less each time, or b) get some kind of bike trailer thing. For me, my schedule doesn't always permit the first option, so I'd probably prefer the second, but the point is that we can figure out ways around these problems that you seem to think are so hopeless.

And are there really that many people that don't know how to ride a bike these days? I thought that the journey from training wheels to two-wheeler was every kid's rite of passage from "baby" to "big kid." Are parents not teaching their kids to ride anymore, or what? And even if someone doesn't know how to ride, it is pretty easy to learn. Six year olds across the country learn how to do it every summer - it can't be that mind boggling.