She Kissed a Girl, and her parents are PISSED off (story denied by singer)

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
She Kissed a Girl, and her parents are PISSED off (story denied by singer)

[EDIT IN BY SAPIENT: I caught about 10 minutes of Stern this morning, ironically the portion when Katy Perry was on.  Howard asked her about this and she said the story is ridiculous.  I did not research her parents nor did I catch any info about her parents involvement in the church however she denied this story was true, said it was ridiculous, and said her parents were at her last three concerts.  She also said her parents dance to her songs, including the I kissed a girl song, and that her parents are supportive and love her music.  She went on to say the story is made up by a British tabloid, and I confirmed the source from below "daily mail" is a British tabloid.  So it appears this story is comparable to the alien abduction stories you read at the check out line... bullshit.]

Since I've apparently become the RRS spokesman for sexual sanity, here's a little article I found at SheVibe. You'll recognize it as the online magazine that gave us THIS GEM OF A POSTER of Kelly in all of her cartoony goodness.  Anyway, kudos to Katy Perry for busting out of her religious indoctrination.  Here's to hoping that she hasn't gone completely nuts already.  More than a few women I've known have turned into sexual disasters when their biology applied the equal and opposite reaction to their right wing lunatic Christian brainwashing.

I could give two shits about the song itself, but I'm happy that this story is getting out there.  More young women need to be brave enough to tell their parents to suck on a Jesus Popsicle and then go out and be who they want to be.

Quote:

With its irresistibly catchy, upbeat tune, Katy Perry’s I Kissed A Girl has become the undisputed song of the summer, rocketing to No1 last week.

The singer’s parents, you might have imagined, would be bursting with pride and rushing to congratulate the 23-year-old on her achievement.

But instead they have launched a ferocious attack on their daughter, and branded the controversial lyric of her song – about two girls kissing – ‘shameful and disgusting’.

Katy's Kiss: She's riding high on the success of her No 1 single...but her religious parents are horrified by its saucy content

Katy’s parents, both evangelical Christian preachers, say they are deeply ashamed of the star for ‘promoting a sin’. And her mother, Mary Hudson, declared: ‘I hate the song. It clearly promotes homosexuality and its message is shameful and disgusting.

‘Katy knows how I feel. We are a very outspoken family and she knows how disappointed her father and I are. I can’t even listen to that song. The first time I heard it I was in total shock. When it comes on the radio I bow my head and pray.’

Ashamed: Katy's mother says she prays every time she hears her daughter's song

Katy appears in the video for the hit in revealing lingerie and posing provocatively, surrounded by writhing models, as she sings ‘I kissed a girl and I liked it / The taste of her cherry chapstick’.

Just over a week ago she leapt into the crowd at a gig and kissed a 16-year-old lesbian fan. But Mrs Hudson claims her daughter, who grew up singing in church, has been led astray by the music industry.

She said: ‘Katy is our daughter and we love her but we strongly disagree with how she is conducting herself at the moment.

'We cannot cut her out of our lives as she is our child but she knows we disagree strongly with what she is doing and the message she is promoting regarding homosexuality which the Bible clearly states is a sin.

'But the Bible also promotes understanding and forgiveness, which I keep reminding myself.

‘Katy is not a homosexual but I fear she has been led astray by the Hollywood crowd. I pray all the time that God will work through her and help her find salvation.’

Of Katy’s outfits, her mother said: ‘Some are too revealing and her father has had words with her about it. Like any child she is going through a period of rebellion.’

Devout: Katy's strict evangelical father Keith Hudson

Katy uses her mother’s maiden name on stage. Her father Keith Hudson calls himself a ‘prophet/evangelist’ and claims to be used by the Holy Spirit to heal people. He travels America and Europe trying to ‘save people’. Katy toured America with her family before they settled in California when she was 11.

Mrs Hudson said: ‘Katy was raised in a very strict Christian household. She started performing in church at nine. She was a special child, she loved to sing and had an angelic voice. That is why this is all so disappointing and sad.

'I think she acts and says certain things to be provocative and to shock.’

Despite the lyrics, Katy had insisted she had never kissed a girl – until she puckered up with fan Jenna Buhmann at her concert in Washington state.

Her first bid for fame was an album of Christian songs in 2001 as Katy Hudson, which hardly sold.

Her mother said: ‘Katy was spotted by a music producer who invited her to LA. That’s when she started to change.

'I was worried she’d start doing drugs and drinking alcohol. I still am. I spoke to her only recently. She said, “Oh Mum, I’m not going to turn into Amy Winehouse”.’

Katy has acknowledged the rift with her parents, saying: ‘I stopped trying to change them at 21.’

By Caroline Graham

Source: [Daily Mail]

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Good for her. Hopefully she

Good for her. Hopefully she gave up Christianity altogether. Her parents sound like complete nutters.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Good for

MattShizzle wrote:

Good for her. Hopefully she gave up Christianity altogether. Her parents sound like complete nutters.

Yeah, they do. They probably think Britney Spears is a good role model because she likes the boys, same with Amy Winehouse, despite the fact she's an "infidel Jew"

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus, it (the comments of

Jesus, it (the comments of the parents) reads like one of those late 50s parenting books. What a fucking anachronism.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Those 2 don't exactly follow

Those 2 don't exactly follow a Christian lifestyle, though!

Technically Britney did at one time until she got horny then started screwing any guy she could. Remember when she was going to wait until she got married? I saw that picture of her cooch when she forgot to wear underwear, and it looked like it had a lot of miles on it. Oh yeah, and she did make out with Madonna that one time (Who's probably older than her mom. )

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Remember when Kathy Lee

Remember when Kathy Lee Gifford was big and Howard Stern was feuding with her (she was a big time fundie) and he said he hoped her very young son at the time grew up to be gay?

Her Dad's a faith healer - meaning either crazy or a con man, and he criticizes her for singing about kissing another girl?

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Here's

Hambydammit wrote:

Here's to hoping that she hasn't gone completely nuts already.  More than a few women I've known have turned into sexual disasters when their biology applied the equal and opposite reaction to their right wing lunatic Christian brainwashing.

Been there, seen that, bleeccccchhh

Hambydammit wrote:
I could give two shits about the song itself, but I'm happy that this story is getting out there.   

I'll see your two shits and raise you four.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Remember

MattShizzle wrote:

Remember when Kathy Lee Gifford was big and Howard Stern was feuding with her (she was a big time fundie) and he said he hoped her very young son at the time grew up to be gay?

Her Dad's a faith healer - meaning either crazy or a con man, and he criticizes her for singing about kissing another girl?

Kathy Lee Gifford big? That must have been the time Frank started having his affairs and such. Can't blame a guy for leaving a wife because she starts acting like a cow, but seriously, as far as evangelicals are concerned, they will defend their own sort before defending their flesh and blood kin.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. That song sucked.Not

Wow. That song sucked.

Not nearly as good as I Kissed A Girl by Jill Sobule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SclQZ4W2VZ0

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What the fuck is all this

What the fuck is all this about kissing a girl being an issue anyway? I don't think I've been to a party in the last couple of years where straight girls DON'T do a "look-at-us" kiss. It's practically a cliché at this point, isn't it?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
=^_^=

peterweal wrote:
Wow. That song sucked.

Oh my - that was a wonderfully sweet song Laughing out loud

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
‘Katy is not a

‘Katy is not a homosexual but I fear she has been led astray by the Hollywood crowd. I pray all the time that God will work through her and help her find salvation.’

Please God! You need to step in and interfere with her free will.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Since I've

Hambydammit wrote:

Since I've apparently become the RRS spokesman for sexual sanity

I'm probably the resident prude, but I'd do some sinning for her..

On topic:eh, pastor's kids always go in the totally opposite direction.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd be happy with this if

I'd be happy with this if they'd stop playing that damned song at my gym. They play it at least once every fifteen minutes there. And they have expanded the PA system so there is no escaping it. That being said the content of the song is not amoral and her parents need to chill out.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think you mean it's not

I think you mean it's not "immoral. "

Jello
User is offlineOffline
peterweal wrote:Wow. That

peterweal wrote:

Wow. That song sucked.

Both those songs suck. Innovation levels are in the negatives. Boring, lazy songwriting.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one fills up first.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
For anyone interested, Katy

For anyone interested, Katy Perry is a guest on Howard Stern tomorrow (Sirius/XM).

She'll be performing the song and I'm betting Howard will be talking to her about her Fundamentalist parents.

George Takei is guesting this week and much of the discussion has been about his impending marriage to his boyfriend.

This might make for an interesting interview. 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was a teenager living in

I was a teenager living in rural Appalachia when this song was first released in 1995, and I don't remember it being the least bit edgy or controversial at all even then, let alone now. 

The public at large is starved for something, anything to latch on to and suck the life out of. 

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:The public at

jmm wrote:

The public at large is starved for something, anything to latch on to and suck the life out of. 

Boy, they sure are.  Why with the way humans have grown so accustomed to lying to themselves, that "something/anything" could even be imaginary, couldn't it ?

George Orwell

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
hate the song, but that is

hate the song, but that is opinion. good for her

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:jmm

AmericanIdle wrote:

jmm wrote:

Boy, they sure are.  Why with the way humans have grown so accustomed to lying to themselves, that "something/anything" could even be imaginary, couldn't it ?

I'm just talking about media over-saturation. 

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I caught about 10 minutes of

I caught about 10 minutes of Stern this morning, ironically the portion when Katy Perry was on.  Howard asked her about this and she said the story is ridiculous.  I did not research her parents nor did I catch any info about her parents involvement in the church however she denied this story was true, said it was ridiculous, and said her parents were at her last three concerts.  She also said her parents dance to her songs, including the I kissed a girl song, and that her parents are supportive and love her music.  She went on to say the story is made up by a British tabloid, and I confirmed the source from below "daily mail" is a British tabloid.  So it appears this story is comparable to the alien abduction stories you read at the check out line... bullshit.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL!Well, I'm actually glad

LOL!

Well, I'm actually glad to hear this.  I'm a little chagrined  at having been caught with my lack of research hanging out, but I don't apologize for the fact that I don't give two shits about whether or not celebrity gossip is true.

Anyway, chalk one up for the media.  Fool me once, shame on... won't get fooled again.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Nthing that the song sucks.

Nthing that the song sucks. Mid-nineties mainstream culture called: it wants its shock back. That joke is old, but so is the premise of this song. There was a year, I think it was when there was that controversy over the show "Ellen"--that actually caused Dave Thomas to pull the Wendy's ads off ABC--that virtually every show had actresses playing tonsil hockey at some point. The year after that it was dudes kissing constantly. The point being this shit is played out; it's Pat Boon to Little Richard.

Here's something much more uncomfortably descriptive of the audience.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:LOL!Well,

Hambydammit wrote:

LOL!

Well, I'm actually glad to hear this.  I'm a little chagrined  at having been caught with my lack of research hanging out, but I don't apologize for the fact that I don't give two shits about whether or not celebrity gossip is true.

Anyway, chalk one up for the media.  Fool me once, shame on... won't get fooled again.

Best use of a Bush quote this week.

Although it's not like this was a story about a 3 headed baby.  The story is totally believable in the land where there is a church on practically every corner and the leading Presidential Candidate's spiritual leader says god told him the ahem !....antichrist will be a "homosexual jew".  (Side Note:  Doesn't that put Obama in the clear ?)

I've met thousands of parents who would react in just such a manner...like my own parents, for example.

George Orwell