What do you Brits think of the Carry On movies, Up Pompeii, etc?

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you Brits think of the Carry On movies, Up Pompeii, etc?

Since my teenage years, I have always enjoyed watching British comedy and in particular those with raunchy and sexy humor. Often they portrayed gorgeous women (eg. Carol Cleveland, Valerie Leon, Madeline Smith, etc) in scantily clad clothing. These were sexy late night British shows I used to watch and get horny along with fear of getting caught. These shows completely destroyed the prudish uptight image of the British and more explicit than what was seen in American television in the 70s (eg. Police Woman, Charlies Angels, etc.)

I am curious as to what my fellow atheist Brits think of these shows. The typical response I get is that these shows from women were that they were sexist, male chauvanist, vulgar, politically incorrect and a lot of fun!!!!! I might add that the gorgeous women (eg. Madeline Smith) are still hot in their late 50s and 60s. Oh those late night Barbara Windsor grandma sex fantasies!!!!!

I tried to order DVDs of these shows on Amazon.com but they are only available in VHS format. Do any of you know how to obtain them on DVD?

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a Brit but lived in

I'm not a Brit but lived in England in the late 60's and early 70's.

I can't remember "Carry On" but even though I was pretty young I've

always remembered Up Pompeii as on of my favorites.

I agree with the "sexist, male chauvinist, vulgar, politically incorrect and a lot of fun!" assessment.

Sometimes they show Up Pompeii here on the local public TV station but for some reason it is not one of the popular ones.

Another old one I loved was "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" but that was a few years later. Smiling

And, of course, Fawlty Towers.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Carry on Films were funny

Carry on Films were funny for their times but those times have changed. I really cringe when Americans say they love Benny Hill too Sad

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Carry on Films

mrjonno wrote:

Carry on Films were funny for their times but those times have changed. I really cringe when Americans say they love Benny Hill too Sad

I never liked the Benny Hill type of humor.

There were a few Britcoms I didn't particularly enjoy.

One was called 'Open All Hours', I think.

A few years ago there was one called 'Green Wing' which was great...and 'Coupling' is an all time great in my view.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I loved Benny Hill and Monty

I loved Benny Hill and Monty Python. Didn't care for "Are You Being Served?" and HATED "Absolutely Fabulous."

Also liked "The Young Ones. " There was something else I only saw a few times I liked - there was a block of British shows on on MTV in the late 1980s - first would be Monty Python, then the Young Ones, then something called "The British Comic Strip" which iirc was a parody of a different movie every show.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Carry on Films, eh?

I think that the Carry On films are similar to the Road To films in that they have had their day. Carry on Nurse or Carry on Up The Kyber are probably my favorites.

Have you had a look at The Fast Show? You may like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPDi3KYnIg

They also did a great sketch with Johhny Depp. "Ohh, sir!"

I usually start laughing before the sketch has started....very sad.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais