The Scientific Evidence for the Existence of PSI

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Scientific Evidence for the Existence of PSI

Below is a link to a presentation on the scientific evidence for the existence of psi (psychic phenomena) given by parapsychology researcher Dean Radin. This is a "GoogleTechTalk." The actual presentation is about an hour, followed by a thirty minute Q & A session. The audience appears, based on the questions asked, to consist primarily of skeptics. I suggest you actually view the video before posting any comments. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw_O9Qiwqew

Just FYI. In his book entitled "Entangled Minds," Dean Radin presents a theorectical framework to account for the psi evidence based on the idea of quantum entanglement (what Einstein called "spooky action at a distance" ). The relevance of this evidence for  theism is that it supports a pantheistic and/or panenthestic worldview based on a quantum mind(s) hypothesis. Although he does not go into this theory in the video, he does hint at it toward the end of the Q & A session.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Oh, puhlease!

Paisley wrote:

Oh, puhlease! I suppose the terms "meaningless, inexcusable, sloppy, messy" are not ad hominems...right? The fact is that you haven't watched the video in its entirety even though you are making this pretense that you have. That's not only mentally lazy, but also dishonest.

Are you really claiming terms are personal no matter the application? A statement is meaningless, not the person. An action is inexcusable, not the person. Methodology is sloppy or messy, not the person.

You, on the other hand, are not calling my arguments anything at all, but are calling ME lazy and dishonest. That makes you the one using the ad homs, not me.

So, I do BEG your fucking PARDON for having a shitty memory and missing a point in your ever so precious video.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:So, I do BEG

JillSwift wrote:
So, I do BEG your fucking PARDON for having a shitty memory and missing a point in your ever so precious video. 

This says it all. No further commentary necessary.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:This says it

Paisley wrote:
I agree. You press buttons 'till someone gets frustrated, then you crow about your victory.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think he should have the

I think he should have the asshat avatar. This is almost like saying you can't dismiss time shares as a bad deal unless you sit through one of their all day presentations.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Say, isn't this about

Say, isn't this about Jessica Utt and the Gansfeld experiments ? I've had that thrown at me by some Uri Geller fans a while ago.

I sent them this in return : http://www.csicop.org/si/9603/claims.html

Haven't heard from them since.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Paisley

JillSwift wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I agree. You press buttons 'till someone gets frustrated, then you crow about your victory.

You based your argument on the false-assumption that his experiments had not been repeated. Of course, if you had actually watched the entire video, then you would have known that they were. And now you are crying that I am pushing buttons? Quit wasting my time!

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:You based your

Paisley wrote:
You based your argument on the false-assumption that his experiments had not been repeated. Of course, if you had actually watched the entire video, then you would have known that they were. And now you are crying that I am pushing buttons? Quit wasting my time!
Right, missing something in a video and basing my argument  on having missed a point does mean you're allowed to use ad-homs. Right.

You're using a tactic to eschew issues you can't directly confront.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
She also said INDEPENDENTLY

She also said INDEPENDENTLY repeated - in other words by someone not associated with him.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Right,

JillSwift wrote:
Right, missing something in a video and basing my argument  on having missed a point does mean you're allowed to use ad-homs. Right.

I am not going to play a tit-for-tat game with you. The bottom line is that you made an argument based on a FALSE-assumption because you did not watch the entire video. The next time, I suggest you do your homework before you make an argument.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I am not going

Paisley wrote:
I am not going to play a tit-for-tat game with you. The bottom line is that you made an argument based on a FALSE-assumption because you did not watch the entire video. The next time, I suggest you do your homework before you make an argument.
The bottom line is you chose to make it personal rather than make a civil argument. It does not matter what mistakes I made with my argument, your choice to make it personal was highly inappropriate. You really aught to apologize.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Paisley

JillSwift wrote:

Paisley wrote:
The bottom line is you chose to make it personal rather than make a civil argument. It does not matter what mistakes I made with my argument, your choice to make it personal was highly inappropriate. You really aught to apologize.

That will only happen if the "collective mind" Paisley calls God which conveniently agrees with everything he says tells him to.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:That will

jcgadfly wrote:
That will only happen if the "collective mind" Paisley calls God which conveniently agrees with everything he says tells him to.
I'm not holding my breath. He won't even admit he used ad-hom, I'm sure, never mind apologize.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Say, isn't

Anonymouse wrote:
Say, isn't this about Jessica Utt and the Gansfeld experiments ? I've had that thrown at me by some Uri Geller fans a while ago. I sent them this in return : http://www.csicop.org/si/9603/claims.html Haven't heard from them since.

No, the moderator identified herself as "Jessica," but this is not Jessica Utt.

I did read the entire article written by Ray Hyman. Several comments...

1) The article is dated March/April 1996. The Dean Radin video is dated January 2008.  That's almost a twelve years difference in the interim.

2) Hyman is mainly taking issues with the meta-analysis, the ganzfeld experiments, and the Stargate Project. Dean Radin was not involved in the Stargate Project (a military/CIA project). 

3) Hyman and Utts (who is a professor of statistics @ UC/Davis) were both contracted by the government to evaluate the results of the Stargate Project. They came to different conclusions regarding the results. That being said, the Stargate Project had some successes in the field of intelligence. See Wikipedia: Stargate Project for more details.

4) In the article, it appears that one of Hyman's main reasons for rejecting the results is because he believes that it does not accord with the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics (he states this once in the introduction and twice in the conclusion of his article). Radin, in the video, states that the results of the psi experiments do not violate any known laws of science and is compatible with quantum mechanics.

5) Dean Radin, in the video listed in the OP, says that Ray Hyman is the only evaluator who disagreed with the meta-analysis. Also, when Ray Hyman conducted his meta-analysis in 1985, ten different psychologists/statisticians reviewed the same data and did not agree with Hyman (fast forward to time 26:10).

6) Evidently, Ray Hyman gave his presentation prior to Dean Radin's. (At least, this is what Radin appears to be saying in the video.)

7) Hyman stated in the article (dated in March/April 1996) that the meta-analysis results must be indepedently validated. It has. That's partially what the video is about.

8 ) Radin states in the video that two skeptical researchers conducted the telepathy experiment and reported the same hit rate of 32% (as determined by the meta-analysis). This was published in the "Journal of Humanistic Psychology" in 2005 (fast forwad to time 27:30).

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Please tell me

Paisley wrote:

Please tell me how materialism explains psychic phenomena. 

Please give a scientific hypothesis for psychic phenomena. Nothing in that rather tedious video came close to providing a testable hypothesis to explain the observations -- there was just a bunch of speculation and conclusion-jumping.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Nikolaj

Paisley wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:
It is just evidence for what I wrote in the quote-box in my last post:

Quote:
That people are apparently capable of affecting eachother with very simple and concrete thoughts (like the thought of an elephant), without any direct sensory stimulus from sender to reciever.

And that people are apparently able to preconsive a simple, emotional state, one second in advance.

If you say that it is evidence that people (minds) can affect each other (causality) with thoughts, then you are saying that it is evidence psi (psychic phenomena). 

No, it's evidence that we as a species have evolved to be sensitive to the moods and emotions of others.

Even if there is some psychic link between us, it's not any sort of indicator of a supernatural beastie orchestrating anything.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Here's a

MattShizzle wrote:

Here's a much better (and only about 40 minutes) video on recognizing pseudoscience.

You're going to have to summarize this.  Forty minutes is still way too long by your standard. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:No, it's evidence that

Quote:

No, it's evidence that we as a species have evolved to be sensitive to the moods and emotions of others.

Even if there is some psychic link between us, it's not any sort of indicator of a supernatural beastie orchestrating anything.

Um... I already posted this once.  Not only is it about being able to read other people's emotions, it really is about the fact that we are preprogrammed by our brain to act before we are consciously aware of the decision.  Once again, here's the link to the actual science, as opposed to the vapid speculation in most of this thread.

Science Challenges Free Will

If you want to read the whole study, go down to the bottom and you will find the journal reference.  You'll need to go to a university library or something, as it doesn't appear to be available for free online.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmac wrote:Paisley wrote:If

Hmac wrote:
Paisley wrote:
If you say that it is evidence that people (minds) can affect each other (causality) with thoughts, then you are saying that it is evidence psi (psychic phenomena). 

Your post is evidence that you have not watched the video provided in the OP.

Hmac wrote:

There are naturalistic theologies (e.g. pantheism/panentheism).

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Please tell me how materialism explains psychic phenomena.

Please give a scientific hypothesis for psychic phenomena. Nothing in that rather tedious video came close to providing a testable hypothesis to explain the observations -- there was just a bunch of speculation and conclusion-jumping.

There are quantum mind hypotheses that can account for the data (e.g. see Evan Harris Walker's book entitled "The Physics of Consciousness." It's replete with testable consciousness variables and equations). That being said, you haven't explained to me how materialism explains the data. Moreover, you haven't explained to me how anything that was observed conflicts with the present known laws of science. Is your tack simply to disregard the data and pretend that it is not there?

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Your post is

Paisley wrote:

Your post is evidence that you have not watched the video provided in the OP.

I don't need to visit a Creation Museum to know Creationism is bullsh*t, and I don't need to watch the video to know that psi (as presented therein) is bullsh*t.

Paisley wrote:

As a naturalistic pantheist, I do not believe in a sentient bus driver for our universe, nor in some mumbo-jumbo explanation for any part of the natural world.

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Um... I

Hambydammit wrote:

Um... I already posted this once. 

Well, damn, sorry for emphasizing your point.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, damn, sorry for

Quote:

Err... I wasn't getting onto you.  I was bitching at the people who have been ignoring my point since I posted it.  It aggravates me when people are arguing about science, and one person bothers to post links to actual science, and is completely ignored.  Thanks for emphasizing my point.  Sorry for sounding gruff towards you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Err... I wasn't getting onto you.  I was bitching at the people who have been ignoring my point since I posted it.  It aggravates me when people are arguing about science, and one person bothers to post links to actual science, and is completely ignored.  Thanks for emphasizing my point.  Sorry for sounding gruff towards you.

Ah, I see.

Sorry for throwing proverbial rocks at you, too. Peace?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Ah, I see.Sorry for

Quote:

Ah, I see.

Sorry for throwing proverbial rocks at you, too. Peace?

Luckily, proverbial rocks don't leave physical bruises... unless of course, one cuts oneself when criticized... which I don't...

Books about atheism

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I guess a

Paisley wrote:
I guess a "collective mind" does not qualify as God...huh? LOL!

Collective mind? What the fuck is this, the Borg? Resistance is futile!

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
The woman doing the

The woman doing the introduction says at 0:58: "...despite there being little support for research in academia..." when talking about PSI. The she follows up by listing off a 30 year study done at Princeton, studies at SRI International, and worldwide government funded research for military applications.

Fucking classic.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, thanks for the

Hamby,  thanks for the article .... I made a folder of it and emailed it out as well.

Anyway, "ALERT" - Science makes new discovery and people are saying it's proof of god ! ..... 

Gezz, people are either so awestruck by life they are nuts, or so bored they make god shit up.  

This is why I ask "WTF ain't gawed", and of course I shout "fuck god of abe." Even if it was possible and we did find something out side nature/physics (supernatural), why would anyone worship or make an idol of it, and separate it as god? WTF isn't equally gawed ? What more of a "miracle" does one need than what we naturally perceive?

"The kingdom of gawed/heaven is before your very eyes NOW, for those who can see." .... "It is the devil of wrong thinking that separates you from gawed, and creates idol worship." ..... "The Christ is YOU, as in all things, as all is connected."

YOU are GOD ....

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Did

Hambydammit wrote:

Did someone say something about predicting emotional states in advance?  That's not psi.  It's science.

Brain Scanner Predicts Your Decisions In Advance

Guess what?  Materialism does account for it.

Guess what?

1) You did not comply with the OP - namely, that you were asked to view the video before responding. It's simple. If you can't watch the video, then don't respond!

2) You obviously don't know the meaning of the term psi, even though I defined it in the OP.

3) The subject matter of the article was not psi, but free will! And the author did not conclude there is no free will.  And the reason is obvious - if my desire to lift my finger really has no causal relation whatsoever to the physical act of lifting my finger, then everything we know and experience would be completely nonsensical and unitelligible! This is the absurdity of epiphenomalism. It is so absurd that most materialistic philosophers reject it.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmac wrote:Paisley

Hmac wrote:
Paisley wrote:

As a naturalistic pantheist, I do not believe in a sentient bus driver for our universe, nor in some mumbo-jumbo explanation for any part of the natural world.

You're a natuaralistic pantheist? Then I guess you believe in a conscious universe. Right? After all, the term pantheism literally means "the belief that all is God!"

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley, if you don't

Paisley, if you don't understand the significance of what I posted, that's fine.  Everyone else seems to get it.  I'm sorry you don't see the connection.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
While I also say "all is

While I also say "all is god", I remain an Atheist by choice. Pantheist and Panentheism are broad terms. I do for the most part, endorse it because it's generally non dogmatic and allows for the term "god", in a more realistic definition. I even agree with "most" of it. I also think is an xlint help to ridding "god of abe" superstition dogma.

My objection is the view it generally or often holds scientifically regarding consciousness. I am no scientist. I know very little about QM etc,  but my intuition does not agree that consciousness "propels" the eternal infinite material "Oneness" .....

Cool  Eloise is my favorite "Panentheist" teacher. 

Maybe I don't understand it very well, but it is also often aligned with alot of weird "New Age" ideas.  In the philosophy of Occam's Razor, I remain Atheist in this time in history. The simplest of labels referring to god ideas , is to say, " I am god, as god is obviously atheist" ! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism#Varieties_of_pantheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

Go Science, there much to learn.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

There are quantum mind hypotheses that can account for the data (e.g. see Evan Harris Walker's book entitled "The Physics of Consciousness." It's replete with testable consciousness variables and equations). That being said, you haven't explained to me how materialism explains the data. Moreover, you haven't explained to me how anything that was observed conflicts with the present known laws of science. Is your tack simply to disregard the data and pretend that it is not there?

Again, I asked for a scientific hypothesis. The various "quantum mind hypotheses" are not testable at this moment, and so don't qualify as scientific hypotheses yet. Part of the requirement to be an "hypothesis" is testability. Otherwise, it is speculation. That doesn't mean it won't be testable in the future; nor does it mean it won't turn out to be the correct interpretation. It just means that currently, it's mere speculation.

I'm not ignoring the data. Hamby has provided at least one strictly-materialistic (and currently tested) explanation. There are others -- unintentional bias in the testing procedure, cold-reading among test subjects, and so on. I'm claiming that you and the Mr. in the video are jumping to conclusions, when there is no support for those conclusions. There is some seemingly-interesting statistical data. That's it.

I'm definitely not ignoring the data. I'm merely pointing out that this statistical data alone is not nearly enough to lend support to an extraordinary interpretation of the data. Until the ordinary explanations have been ruled out, PSI is, at best, wild speculation, not scientific hypothesis.

It is merely another fantastic painting of what knowledge might lie within our ignorance.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Science

Hambydammit wrote:
Science Challenges Free Will

If you want to read the whole study, go down to the bottom and you will find the journal reference.  You'll need to go to a university library or something, as it doesn't appear to be available for free online.

I have a pdf of the article in question if anyone's interested.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Hmac

Paisley wrote:

Hmac wrote:
Paisley wrote:

You're a natuaralistic pantheist? Then I guess you believe in a conscious universe. Right? After all, the term pantheism literally means "the belief that all is God!"

No, I do not believe in a conscious universe. Nor a sentient one. I do believe that all is god. I believe nature is all. No supernatural components, no intelligent guide. I revere nature, I do not worship it.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Again, I asked for a scientific hypothesis. The various "quantum mind hypotheses" are not testable at this moment, and so don't qualify as scientific hypotheses yet. Part of the requirement to be an "hypothesis" is testability. Otherwise, it is speculation. That doesn't mean it won't be testable in the future; nor does it mean it won't turn out to be the correct interpretation. It just means that currently, it's mere speculation.

Did you even bother to read my last post? Walker's hypothesis is TESTABLE!

nigelTheBold wrote:
I'm not ignoring the data. Hamby has provided at least one strictly-materialistic (and currently tested) explanation.

Hamby didn't provide a materialistic explanation. This suggests that either: 1) you didn't read Hamby's article or, 2) you didn't watched the video I provided in the OP. Hamby's article was not about PSI!

nigelTheBold wrote:
There are others -- unintentional bias in the testing procedure, cold-reading among test subjects, and so on. I'm claiming that you and the Mr. in the video are jumping to conclusions, when there is no support for those conclusions. There is some seemingly-interesting statistical data. That's it.

So, you're claiming that the statistical data is invalid. You have no evidence whatsoever that the testing procedure was invalid. You are simply making the accusation because the data does not support your worldview. Sorry, but that is not going to fly. The experimental data was repeated by other scientists.

nigelTheBold wrote:
I'm definitely not ignoring the data. I'm merely pointing out that this statistical data alone is not nearly enough to lend support to an extraordinary interpretation of the data. Until the ordinary explanations have been ruled out, PSI is, at best, wild speculation, not scientific hypothesis.

I have provided you with one scientific hypothesis. Let me know when you have a materialistic explanation to account for the facts.

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
The funny part of this

The funny part of this thread is for all the time Paisley has spent b*tching about 'you didn't watch the video' he could have written a nice teaser synopsis that might have enticed interested parties to actually watch the damned thing.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
After following the thread

After following the thread and having absolutely no interest in the bullshit Paisely is on about I thought I'd post this.  Of course, I have no intention of actually offering any kind of response beyond my opinion above, but before Paisley yet again repeats himself I'd like for him to see his words from his initial post as he wrote them and to consider what follows.  This might be an interesting tangent for the rest of those following the thread, though I believe I might be correct in saying, rather, that there is nothing in this thread to tangent from.

Paisley wrote:
I suggest you actually view the video before posting any comments.
(link)It would seem, Paisley, that some people do not wish to abide by your suggestion.  It is, after all, only a suggestion and you do not own this thread, you merely started it.  Why don't you change your language before you call more people out for not complying with something in your initial post which you never wrote?

Oh, actually, you did write something that contradicts your earlier statement, Paisley.

Paisley wrote:
Okay. Then I will just disregard any further posts from you. If you can't watch the video, then you can't participate. It's that simple.
(link)So, which is it, are you suggesting that people watch the video or are you insisting that they must and that they cannot participate unless they do?  Of course, you have no control whatsoever over the latter and you really can't determine whether anyone actually watched the video barring some sort of test on the content.

Actually, I'm wondering why it is you started the thread exactly.  You initial post follows.

Paisley wrote:
Below is a link to a presentation on the scientific evidence for the existence of psi (psychic phenomena) given by parapsychology researcher Dean Radin. This is a "GoogleTechTalk." The actual presentation is about an hour, followed by a thirty minute Q & A session. The audience appears, based on the questions asked, to consist primarily of skeptics. I suggest you actually view the video before posting any comments. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw_O9Qiwqew

Just FYI. In his book entitled "Entangled Minds," Dean Radin presents a theorectical framework to account for the psi evidence based on the idea of quantum entanglement (what Einstein called "spooky action at a distance" ). The relevance of this evidence for  theism is that it supports a pantheistic and/or panenthestic worldview based on a quantum mind(s) hypothesis. Although he does not go into this theory in the video, he does hint at it toward the end of the Q & A session.

(link)All you want people to do is to post comments?  To what end?  Did you think you would facilitate some sort of discussion?  Are you an authority or learned on psychic phenomena or only interested?  Were you going to respond to questions and with what information different than that any of us have at our disposal were you going to respond?  Are you capable of a greater understanding of the lecture than us and if so on what basis do you claim that capability?

Seriously, Paisely, what you've presented here is a video that few people have any interest in watching, without providing a synopsis or a point list of interesting or intriguing topics from the lecture and without providing any incentive to participate in the posting of comments.  I don't believe that you actually desire discussion at all and as evidence for that I point to your initial post.  Get off it or did you actually have something of use to post?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The funny part of this

Quote:
The funny part of this thread is for all the time Paisley has spent b*tching about 'you didn't watch the video' he could have written a nice teaser synopsis that might have enticed interested parties to actually watch the damned thing.

Yeah, no kidding.  I don't watch hour long videos about paranormal shit because, well... TV shows are not science.  (Yes, Paisley, I know... it's a conspiracy, and the only way to get the info is through youtube... or whatever... )  I could read a full scientific study in a third of the time it would take to watch a video that doesn't say a damn thing about any actual science.

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Paisley,

Hambydammit wrote:
Paisley, if you don't understand the significance of what I posted, that's fine.  Everyone else seems to get it.  I'm sorry you don't see the connection. 

Please explain to us how the article you posted refutes Radin's telepathic experiments.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Please explain to us

Quote:
Please explain to us how the article you posted refutes Radin's telepathic experiments.

It doesn't refute it.  The ganzfeld experiments have been refuted already, primarily due to problems with randomization, methods of statistical analysis, and the curious effect that other researchers have not been able to reproduce the experiments consistently.  The lack of proper randomization is a really big deal, and bears rather directly on the paper I mentioned.  There's one other thing though, and this has been mentioned already in the thread.  Anomalous readings in this kind of experiment don't prove psi.  They prove anomalous readings in this kind of experiment.  As has been mentioned, what psi is, exactly, has not even been properly postulated.  These tests cannot be tested against predictions of psi theory because there is no psi theory.

Now, the paper that I referenced illustrates the difference between these psi experiments and real science.  By using an fMRI scanner, researchers were able to prove rather conclusively that our "decisions" are often made before we even consciously realize there's a decision to make.  This has wide sweeping implications, not only for our concept of free will, but also for many of the paranormal claims we've heard for so many years.  If the reality is that we are "controlled" by our brains, rather than being "in control" of them, and particularly if our brain does things as significant as making decisions for us well before we become consciously aware of them, things like ESP and psi (if there is any evidence for them at all, which, as has been mentioned, is questionable) suddenly seem a lot less "paranormal" and a lot more susceptible to material explanations.

Another way of putting it is that since we know that our brains control us unconsciously in this manner, we need to do a lot more research to try to discover if there are other unconscious processes going on which control our behavior in ways we have been previously unaware.  It also casts serious doubt on any "anomalous results" from tests such as the ganzfeld experiments.  Without properly accounting for the unconscious material influence of the brain, we cannot truly say that we have set up a proper control to isolate "psi" as the cause of statistically significant results.

Books about atheism

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
To Paisley:Firstly: I second

To Paisley:

Firstly: I second what Hampy said in the above post.

Secondly: I second what Tomathy said in his post.

In here follows my own comment.

What annoys me about your attitude is not that you don't have a "materialistic" world view. It's not that you label yourself a pantheist. It's not that you start an interesting discussion, and that you post an interesting video, that I watched, and enjoyed.

What annoys me about you is your extreme aggresiveness at everyone who have replied to you. Disregarding Matt's Asshat comments, everyone here have at least opened with taking you seriously. And you have respended with harsh hostility, and with remarks like: "You just don't like it because it counters your materialistic world view". You have said this several times in this thread, most resently to Nigel, above. I, for one, have never said that I hold a strictly materialistic world view, and nor have most others here. Some might be more than willing to say that, if prompted, but before they do, you have no right to simply assume that that's how we all feel.

You also had the nerve to say to me, last time you responded to me that I had admitted that a "collective consciousness is God", when I had specifically said that a collective consciousness is, if one exists, a collective consciousness. There is a significant difference to me, and you have the nerve to put words in my mouth, only because you can't tell the difference.

You appear to be extremely paranoid about everyone here, and will gleefully trot this interesting, humble man Radin out and use him in your little game of: "See how wrong you are, you evil, coldhearted materialists!"

Some of us have shown alot of interest in Radin, some have shown less, but regardless, we have all agreed that it means only one thing: that he has discovered something that may be a fluke, or may be something interesting that we'll learn more about in future. But it's still not even remotely proof of anything (strictly speaking it never will be, since proof only exists in mathematics, but you know what I mean).

But this thread is not useless. For one it has spawned the most lucid entry I have ever seen from I Am God As You on these boards:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

While I also say "all is god", I remain an Atheist by choice. Pantheist and Panentheism are broad terms. I do for the most part, endorse it because it's generally non dogmatic and allows for the term "god", in a more realistic definition. I even agree with "most" of it. I also think is an xlint help to ridding "god of abe" superstition dogma.

My objection is the view it generally or often holds scientifically regarding consciousness. I am no scientist. I know very little about QM etc,  but my intuition does not agree that consciousness "propels" the eternal infinite material "Oneness" .....

Cool  Eloise is my favorite "Panentheist" teacher. 

Maybe I don't understand it very well, but it is also often aligned with alot of weird "New Age" ideas.  In the philosophy of Occam's Razor, I remain Atheist in this time in history. The simplest of labels referring to god ideas , is to say, " I am god, as god is obviously atheist" ! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism#Varieties_of_pantheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

Go Science, there much to learn.

I have always liked IAGAY, but he is often a bit too high on life (or whatever) for me to draw something more useful than a smile from him, but this is an excellent reply by him.

If you were a true pantheist*, like him, you would see that "our" (whoever "we" are) materialistic worldview (whatever that is) is as much a part of "God" as everything else, and not something to be so angry at, and paranoid about, and selfrightiously smug towards. How about showing some real oneness with the rest of us, and just listen to what we say, instead of being so annoyingly paranoid and angry all the time.

* Yes, I know this is a no-true-Scotsman, but I am not arguing from logic, but from my emotions. You have acted aggresive towards you, and I reply by saying, I prefer IAGAY's brand of pantheism: He would never throw away his vision of God, or Gawed, as it were, simply because I told him so, so he has the strength of his convictions, and he can say wise things, as the above quote shows, so I can learn something from him, but he also has an ear for what I say, and he treats me with the same respect and understanding that I show him.

Really, I don't think that I have ever actually disagreed with anything he said, so in a way, I'm a pantheist too, I just use words slightly differently than him. But if being a pantheist is your agressive, paranoid attitude then I am not a pantheist.

Peace.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:What annoys me

Nikolaj wrote:
What annoys me about you is your extreme aggresiveness at everyone who have replied to you. Disregarding Matt's Asshat comments, everyone here have at least opened with taking you seriously.

With the possible exception of yourself (and maybe Nigel), no one else here who has replied has even bothered to watch the video. This is what annoys me. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask people to at least listen to the evidence that is presented before discounting it. In fact, it is a requirement to have a real discussion on the subject matter.

Nikolaj wrote:
And you have respended with harsh hostility, and with remarks like: "You just don't like it because it counters your materialistic world view". You have said this several times in this thread, most resently to Nigel, above.

Yes, I did say this to Nigel because it's true. I have a interacted with Nigel before and I know that  he has a materialistic worldview. He's rejected the data simply because it conflicts with his materialistic worldview. He has provided no evidence why we should summarily dismiss this data.

Nikolaj wrote:
I, for one, have never said that I hold a strictly materialistic world view, and nor have most others here. Some might be more than willing to say that, if prompted, but before they do, you have no right to simply assume that that's how we all feel.

In my view, atheism implies materialism. If an atheist cannot acknowledge that he has a materialistic worldview, then I know I am confronting someone who either has a lurking God-belief or is seriously confused. At any rate, I am not going to engage in  a debate with an atheist unless he is willing to  acknowledge materialism.

Nikolaj wrote:
You also had the nerve to say to me, last time you responded to me that I had admitted that a "collective consciousness is God", when I had specifically said that a collective consciousness is, if one exists, a collective consciousness. There is a significant difference to me, and you have the nerve to put words in my mouth, only because you can't tell the difference.

You used the terms "collective consciousness" and "God" in the same context. Here's the evidence...

Nikolaj wrote:
Now, can I infer from the evidence presented that the entire universe has a collective consciousness? That God exists?

This tells me that you realized that the idea of a universe having a collective consciouness is a God-concept. And it is a God-concept. It's called pantheism/panentheism.

Nikolaj wrote:
You appear to be extremely paranoid about everyone here, and will gleefully trot this interesting, humble man Radin out and use him in your little game of: "See how wrong you are, you evil, coldhearted materialists!"

I know that Radin has credentials and that he makes a compelling case for the existence of pychic phenomena. I simply presented a video and asked people to watch it and hear the evidence before making a judgment. How is this paranoia?

Nikolaj wrote:
Some of us have shown alot of interest in Radin, some have shown less, but regardless, we have all agreed that it means only one thing: that he has discovered something that may be a fluke, or may be something interesting that we'll learn more about in future.

Please provide the names of individuals (on this thread) who have shown interest in Radin's work.

Nikolaj wrote:
But it's still not even remotely proof of anything (strictly speaking it never will be, since proof only exists in mathematics, but you know what I mean).

I entitled this thread "The Scientific Evidence for the Existence of PSI." I don't believe I have ever used the terms "proof" or "proved" in this thread. If I have, please show me.

Nikolaj wrote:
But this thread is not useless. For one it has spawned the most lucid entry I have ever seen from I Am God As You on these boards:

Yeah, if you consider the the following statement to be lucid...

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
The simplest of labels referring to god ideas , is to say, "I am god, as god is obviously atheist"!

Nikolaj wrote:
If you were a true pantheist*, like him, you would see that "our" (whoever "we" are) materialistic worldview (whatever that is) is as much a part of "God" as everything else, and not something to be so angry at, and paranoid about, and selfrightiously smug towards.

I disagree. A true pantheist understands that the materialistic worldview is illusory and calls it as such.

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
* Yes, I know this is a no-true-Scotsman, but I am not arguing from logic, but from my emotions. You have acted aggresive towards you, and I reply by saying, I prefer IAGAY's brand of pantheism: He would never throw away his vision of God, or Gawed, as it were, simply because I told him so, so he has the strength of his convictions, and he can say wise things, as the above quote shows, so I can learn something from him, but he also has an ear for what I say, and he treats me with the same respect and understanding that I show him.

I suggest that you take your own advice.

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
Really, I don't think that I have ever actually disagreed with anything he said, so in a way, I'm a pantheist too, I just use words slightly differently than him. But if being a pantheist is your agressive, paranoid attitude then I am not a pantheist.

Pantheism is not really compatible with atheistic materialism. If you believe that conscious-awareness is a brute fact of nature, then you're a pantheist.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:With the possible

Quote:
With the possible exception of yourself (and maybe Nigel), no one else here who has replied has even bothered to watch the video.

Don't be a turd.  I'm thoroughly familiar with Radin's experiments, and the methodology behind the ganzfeld experiments.  Your demand that everyone watch your silly little video is equivalent to me saying that you can't comment on zoology unless you've read Richard Dawkins.

Books about atheism

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Paisley

Hambydammit wrote:
Paisley wrote:
With the possible exception of yourself (and maybe Nigel), no one else here who has replied has even bothered to watch the video.

Don't be a turd.  I'm thoroughly familiar with Radin's experiments, and the methodology behind the ganzfeld experiments.  Your demand that everyone watch your silly little video is equivalent to me saying that you can't comment on zoology unless you've read Richard Dawkins.

If you are so familiar with Radin's experiments, then why did you provide the following as a refutation of his psi experiments? Evidently, you are confusing telepathy with free will!

Hambydammit Post#40 wrote:
Did someone say something about predicting emotional states in advance?  That's not psi.  It's science.

Brain Scanner Predicts Your Decisions In Advance

Guess what?  Materialism does account for it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you are so familiar

Quote:
If you are so familiar with Radin's experiments, then why did you provide the following as a refutation of his psi experiments? Evidently, you are confusing telepathy with free will!

Once again, you seem to have ignored the series of symbols I encoded into the computer, then sent through the magic square in front of me into the super-Galactic-Consciousness that gives wisdom to all who will receive it.

Dude, everyone else in the thread understands what I was saying.  I don't know how to say it any more clearly.  First, the study I linked demonstrates the existence of previously unknown confounding variables.  Second, the study I linked demonstrates the existence of unconscious brain activity that could very well be part of a materialist explanation of many paranormal "anomalies" in studies like the ganzfeld experiments.  When you combine these elements with the already numerous statistical objections to the methodology of those experiments, it becomes intellectually dishonest to claim that the experiments "prove" anything.

How hard is this to grasp?  These studies demonstrate the need for more rigorous controls, and specifically, controls for unconscious control of "conscious" decisions well before they become conscious.  Are you seriously telling me that you don't understand why a ten second delay wouldn't skew the results of a test that is supposed to be passing "psychic" information in real time?

Books about atheism

Hmac
Hmac's picture
User is offlineOffline
I vote for Paisley getting

I vote for Paisley getting the Asshat avitar.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched the entire video

I watched the entire video today respecting your suggestion to not post until I had. In general it was quite interesting though it is not per se scientific proof IMO. Radin admits there is no theory of psi and actually sees this as an advantage. I will agree that the test data indicates there is something there but even he makes no claim as to exactly what. He suggests minds are transmitters and/or receivers but does not have an explanation for the process. It was worthwhile to watch if you have an interest in psi.

Paisley wrote:

In the video he didn't really go into detail on this book that I could see. If you are using this book for some of your conclusions regarding a universal mind you should post a summary for it or another video if there is one on that subject.  The universal consciousness or mind is lightly discussed in the video where he mentioned the idea around 52:40.  where he says "If telepathy is true what you think of as private thoughts are not so private after all. Think of your mind as mostly located here but also spread out a little but in both space and time. If it's spread out in space and time it means that your thoughts and other people's thoughts co mingle at some stage. That creates a very dramatic change in terms of our personal oncology about who and what we think we are."

He however does not prove these statements he suggests them only as a possibility in this video. I don't see this as proof of a universal mind even if it proved to be true but only there may be an undeveloped ability for telepathy.

Paisley wrote:

It is an interesting video. But the main point is that Radin presents compelling evidence for PSI - evidence that cannot simply be ignored. That's why I started the thread and insist that individuals view the video before commenting. Also, I suggest that you view the entire "Q & A session" (not just the presentation) because he probably addresses your questions.

The results he presents suggests there is something there, IMO compelling is a stretch. Many of us think there may be something to psi, but exactly what. I have no clue or explanation for such results but it is not significant enough to warrant a view that it is compelling or as you sometimes suggest that it is evidence of your universal mind. It is interesting and an area that deserves further research.

He also says around 51:30 "Is it really psychic? It's hard to say because we don't know exactly what psychic means. When we see the results of the experiments they look a lot ;like what people report in their life."

So even he doesn't make the claims you do. As I have told you in other threads you need to be patient and wait for further knowledge and experimentation to understand unknown areas instead of interpreting to suit your purpose.

The area of psi to me is an interesting area as with many people I have had unexplained deja vu as well as unexplained precognition events. In one case I have never been able to explain the event but it doesn't lead me to a non material answer. I simply do not know how to explain what occured to me. I certainly don't attribute it to a universal consciouness as an explanation.

Here's a link on what someone else has to say about Radin. Link

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LOL Nikolaj , you are a

LOL Nikolaj , you are a gentleman to admire, a buddha you are ....

AGAIN ; While I also say "all is god", I remain an Atheist by choice ... because I have examined Pantheism and disagree on the finer points, because I think everthing has a material explanation. Consciousness is the result, not the reason for all existence.

Paisley , you posted  I AM GOD AS YOU wrote - 3 times in post 92. Only the first one is me.

AGAIN:  "The simplest of labels referring to god ideas , is to say, "I am god, as god is obviously atheist"! "  - What I am trying to say is there nothing to worship in the sense of an idol or "force" ..... NOTHING.

Paisley, I too do not understand your frustration with we atheists in general. Please understand that we atheists and pantheists are very similar, and our disagreements are basically scientific ones, because of the yet many unanswered questions regarding the "nature",  or physics of existence especially regarding consciousness. No need to tear each other up over it.   Hey, save the idol worshipers man ! ..... The A's and P's make a good team.

I will eventually see the video, and will perhaps comment about it, but I am certain it will not change my simple world view. What isn't  g-o-d  Paisley ???  No Master, No Idol .... PERIOD .... 

In a nutshell, the "enemy" is idol worship.

Thanks Paisley for promoting discussion. Be extra nice to yourself .... 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I'm not going to bother

I'm not going to bother watching the video specifically because Paisley posted it. He/she does a disservice to whatever he/she endorses, robbing it of credibility, or even basic appeal, by positioning it as relevant to his/her vacuous Christian-flavored pantheism.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Nikolaj

Paisley wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:
And you have respended with harsh hostility, and with remarks like: "You just don't like it because it counters your materialistic world view". You have said this several times in this thread, most resently to Nigel, above.

Yes, I did say this to Nigel because it's true. I have a interacted with Nigel before and I know that  he has a materialistic worldview. He's rejected the data simply because it conflicts with his materialistic worldview. He has provided no evidence why we should summarily dismiss this data.

Paisley,

Before you reply to, or mention, my posts in any context, you must read them. I place this requirement on you in the same spirit with which you require watching the video to comment in this thread.

I did not say we should summarily dismiss the data. I said we should reserve judgement on the conclusions. Radin presents some very speculative suppositions. He uses this data in the same way that creationists use "irreducible complexity" to prop up intelligent design -- by interpreting the data to fit his conclusion.

I used examples that called the data into question simply because 1) the non-repeatability of the experiments, and 2) the apparent lack of proper laboratory control. Now, as the video didn't provide full details of the experimental process, I rely on other sources that indicate 2) (mostly, trolling the web for his name). So, I admit that my outside sources might be biased.

Assuming the data is correct, please note that known psychological phenomena like "cold reading" can account for the statistical data. Similar social upbringing among test subjects could account for the data. These are ordinary, known phenomena that are sufficient to account for the data.

The  data does support the  "hypothesis" of PSI. It also supports other, more-accepted (meaning, more-testable) hypothesis.

For PSI to be a viable hypothesis, it must explain observed data better than competing hypothesis, it must make unique testable predictions, and it must pass those tests. So far, PSI is still on stage 1: trying to explain data better than other, competing hypothesis. Unfortunately for PSI, it doesn't.

While I enjoyed the video, I enjoyed it on the same level I enjoy videos about UFOs, Bigfoot, and trustworthy politicians. They're fun to think about, but it's irrational to assume they are true. I don't deny that they might be true, just as I don't deny that PSI might be true. At the moment, there's simply no reason to assume they are true.

This is the logical weakness of your position. You seem to be making assumptions about the truth of something based on the possibility of something, while asserting that all other positions are false.

I don't deny that the world might be non-materialistic. But the possibility of it doesn't make it true. So far, we are still stretching our knowledge, learning new things, with a materialistic ontology, which indicates our materialistic ontology is still a strong model of reality.

Oh, and as an aside: even if it turned out that PSI were an actual phenomena, that still wouldn't make it non-materialistic. Until we understood the basis of PSI, we couldn't have any kind of certainty about the nature of PSI. This is exactly the position we're in with, say, quantum mechanics, where we have a good description, but no prescription.