Holy Shit Genesis 1: 16 is AMAZING

IntellectualTitan
IntellectualTitan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy Shit Genesis 1: 16 is AMAZING

Hey all, sorry about my MIA status. I haven't really contributed enough to warrant the "holy shit where's Titan at?" but I thought I'd excuse myself anyway. Hope all is well with my fellow enlightened. Man, I come to you today, HUMBLED. God may just exist after all... Why? Well I was skimming through Genesis as part of my research to find as many chronological, philosophical, mathematical, historical, archeological etc. errors as possible to reign down upon theists when, only 30 seconds in I was hit with the most wonderful IMPOSSIBLY full of bullshit verse ever.

Genesis 1: 16

And it reads: "And God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also".

It caught my attention immediately. 30 seconds into it, I find the most ridiculous verse word for word possibly in the whole bible. While there are more preposterous ideas in the bible per verse, this verse may by far have the most bullshit by volume.

Can anyone spot all of it?

First we need to look at verses preceeding this one to find the first fallacy. At this point the bible says that God has already MADE light, water grass and the dry land of Earth. It's only AFTER this that he makes the only light sources for these things??? Any rational human being knows that it is an utterly stupid proposition to claim that plants, soil, etc were made and functional BEFORE THE FUCKING SUN.

And that leads directly into my second spotted fallacy. Clearly, according to the bible the earth and SOME of the things on it were created before their light sources. Once again, we see that this is a stupid premise and utterly wrong.  The sun by every scientific standard came before the earth.

Third, the idea that the sun and moon exist so that it can BE night and day. Man I wish some "intelligent" Christians would really read their bibles, I don't see how anyone can even go along with shit like this. The night and day, as concepts exist solely because the sun and moon do. The idea that "night and day" existed before the sun and moon blows my mind.

Next we have a problem with the gross misrepresentation of the moon. The bible clearly calls it a "lesser light", implying that the moon itself, emits light. However we know that the moon is actually a big rock.  Wrong wrong wrong God...geez get your shit strait.

Finally we see "he made the stars also". Guh...it's getting tough to even do this. Here we see the bible differentiating "smaller" stars and the sun. The sun is a star, so to be accurate the verse should have mentioned the sun and the stars simultaneously. The fact that it does not shows that it does not KNOW that the sun is the same as the other stars only closer to us.

Ok so that's a lot of bullshit for so few words. What's the point? Aside from proving the bible simply to be lies, it also shows something else important. The ideas for creation were obviously formulated from human perception of the world not the reality of it. You can't blame them, they went on what they could observe and based on a primative observation they would have to make, they did pretty mediocre to decent. However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLABLE WORD OF GOD. As such, it would have to contain accurate information about what we know to be true about the world. And since an all knowing all powerful god would know better than to include such obviously false assertions about the origins of life it's easy to conclude that the bible is bullshit.

.....but damn I needed that laugh. I was amazed at what all I could find in one simple verse that was so short in length, but long in it's stupidity.

Enjoy and by all means use this info against theists.

The more you know about the world around you, the less you have to make up.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Indeed, Bi Bull , 2

Indeed, Bi Bull , 2 testaments of mostly intentional B.S. I can excuse the ignorance, not the intent.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
It gets better at the end of

It gets better at the end of the bible (revelations of course) the stars are supposed to fall to the earth. Wow, I always thought that stars were incredibly massive and have intense gravity. I guess we are supposed to believe that the Earth is going to be hit by stars during the end times...... infuckincredible.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought I should read the

I thought I should read the good book so I could have more ammo so I bought a bible to read while I take a shit. One of the most remarkable things is how little the word of god has to say about our physiology or the physics of his creation, especially compared to all the shit we've figured out. Apparently we're smarter than god.

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
IntellectualTitan wrote:Hey

IntellectualTitan wrote:

Hey all, sorry about my MIA status. I haven't really contributed enough to warrant the "holy shit where's Titan at?" but I thought I'd excuse myself anyway. Hope all is well with my fellow enlightened. Man, I come to you today, HUMBLED. God may just exist after all... Why? Well I was skimming through Genesis as part of my research to find as many chronological, philosophical, mathematical, historical, archeological etc. errors as possible to reign down upon theists when, only 30 seconds in I was hit with the most wonderful IMPOSSIBLY full of bullshit verse ever.

Genesis 1: 16

And it reads: "And God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also".

It caught my attention immediately. 30 seconds into it, I find the most ridiculous verse word for word possibly in the whole bible. While there are more preposterous ideas in the bible per verse, this verse may by far have the most bullshit by volume.

Can anyone spot all of it?

First we need to look at verses preceeding this one to find the first fallacy. At this point the bible says that God has already MADE light, water grass and the dry land of Earth. It's only AFTER this that he makes the only light sources for these things??? Any rational human being knows that it is an utterly stupid proposition to claim that plants, soil, etc were made and functional BEFORE THE FUCKING SUN.

And that leads directly into my second spotted fallacy. Clearly, according to the bible the earth and SOME of the things on it were created before their light sources. Once again, we see that this is a stupid premise and utterly wrong.  The sun by every scientific standard came before the earth.

Third, the idea that the sun and moon exist so that it can BE night and day. Man I wish some "intelligent" Christians would really read their bibles, I don't see how anyone can even go along with shit like this. The night and day, as concepts exist solely because the sun and moon do. The idea that "night and day" existed before the sun and moon blows my mind.

Next we have a problem with the gross misrepresentation of the moon. The bible clearly calls it a "lesser light", implying that the moon itself, emits light. However we know that the moon is actually a big rock.  Wrong wrong wrong God...geez get your shit strait.

Finally we see "he made the stars also". Guh...it's getting tough to even do this. Here we see the bible differentiating "smaller" stars and the sun. The sun is a star, so to be accurate the verse should have mentioned the sun and the stars simultaneously. The fact that it does not shows that it does not KNOW that the sun is the same as the other stars only closer to us.

Ok so that's a lot of bullshit for so few words. What's the point? Aside from proving the bible simply to be lies, it also shows something else important. The ideas for creation were obviously formulated from human perception of the world not the reality of it. You can't blame them, they went on what they could observe and based on a primative observation they would have to make, they did pretty mediocre to decent. However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLABLE WORD OF GOD. As such, it would have to contain accurate information about what we know to be true about the world. And since an all knowing all powerful god would know better than to include such obviously false assertions about the origins of life it's easy to conclude that the bible is bullshit.

.....but damn I needed that laugh. I was amazed at what all I could find in one simple verse that was so short in length, but long in it's stupidity.

Enjoy and by all means use this info against theists.

It really makes you wonder how anyone could possibly follow something so stupid and poorly written. I wager you could pick up any random comic from my box and make a religion out of it and it would make a hundred times more sense than the bible. I never noticed plants where made before the light gotta ask my indoctrinated fam about that one see what they say to make sense of it.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Like wow I'm gonna totally

Like wow I'm gonna totally become a Jesuit now.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:Apparently

nutxaq wrote:

Apparently we're smarter than god.

It's that or God's fucking with us. Either way, it doesn't look good.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Titan, you might like

Hey Titan, you might like the Skeptic's Annotated Bible. Check it out

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

IntellectualTitan
User is offlineOffline
Woah nice good lookin on

Woah nice good lookin on that. I'ma dive right into this ASAP

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://bsalert.com/news/1990/

http://bsalert.com/news/1990/Bill_Nye_Bood_In_Texas_For_Saying_The_Moon_Reflects_The_Sun.html

Just stumbled upon this link, pretty humerous.  It's amazing the ignorance people display while they deperately cling white-knuckled to their silly literalist beliefs.

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

IntellectualTitan
User is offlineOffline
Well I'll be muh fuckin

Well I'll be muh fuckin damned.....that is the most insane thing I've heard in weeks.  There is just no going back now, we have to eradicate religion from this country and vastly and completely as possible AND as soon as possible.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genesis= bad start for a

Genesis= bad start for a holy book

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:nutxaq

HisWillness wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

if hes fucking with us hes not a very good god is he?

Knowledge is power
Power leads to corruption
Corrution leads to crime
Crime doesn't pay
So if you study you'll go broke.

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
WBFL wrote:HisWillness

WBFL wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

nutxaq wrote:

According to the totally rad youth pastors he's an "awesome god".

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Genesis ? Later is even

Well Genesis ? Later is even better, have fun.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
IntellectualTitan

IntellectualTitan wrote:

However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLABLE WORD OF GOD. As such, it would have to contain accurate information about what we know to be true about the world. 

Ah, perhaps you never got past the first chapter of Genesis? Can you show me where in the bible, does the Bible claim itself to be the "infallable word of god"? 

And you're a bit outdated. Here's St. Augustine writing in the 4th century:

Quote:
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

– The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20, Chapt. 19 [AD 408]

Quote:
With the scriptures it is a matter of treating about the faith. For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation.

– ibid, 2:9

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I've heard in

Quote:
I've heard in weeks.  There is just no going back now, we have to eradicate religion from this country and vastly and completely as possible AND as soon as possible.

Yea, I'm with you my intellectual titan, let's bring out our hill billy rifles, and give individuals the option of either renouncing their religions, or getting their brains blown out. That would be quite effective way, to rid ourselves of our strawdogs. And if we don't have guns, let's just choke the shit out of those god-believing mother-fuckers. 

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You do realize as a theist

You do realize as a theist you aren't allowed to post here? Especially since as far as I know you have been banned from here, dillwad.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:You do

MattShizzle wrote:

You do realize as a theist you aren't allowed to post here? Especially since as far as I know you have been banned from here, dillwad.

Well I never titled myself a theist, it was Hawkins erroneous assumption that led to that labeling. I don't consider myself a theist, I assumed my language and foul mouth would have revealed that, but I guess not. Perhaps someone would like to remove that moniker from my profile? I have no desire to be a self proclaimed representative of theism, that's for sure. 

But regardless I stumbled across this post from the recent post tab.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Umm, I'm cool as a hard core

Umm, I'm cool as a hard core atheist with "freethinking" pantheists, deists, buddha  fans, and others, and it seems they do deserve their special tag. Fuck the dogmists.

I want a god tag! Me god, fuck god of abe and all such gods ... babel babel, blah blah

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonko wrote:Genesis= bad

Wonko wrote:

Genesis= bad start for a holy book

Bad guesses start with bad presupositions. The bible is crappy because it starts with the assumption that a magical daddy exists in the first place. Once you buy the idea of a magical daddy, that magical daddy of course can do things in whatever order it wants, in the mind of the believer.

I like what Bob Spence says, "In the beginning......and it's all downhill from there".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

c00lsciecnenerd
c00lsciecnenerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I often use the bible for a good laugh.

The "information" in the Bible is so stupid that it is actually funny! Whenever I need a good laugh, I just pick up the bible and read some stupid idea. Genesis is the best of all though. God created Earth in 6 days? hahahahahaha its so funny. And people actually believe it! Its pathetic.

"Creationists are one of the key pieces of evidence to support the theory of evolution... it shows than some are obviously more evolved than others." -Me

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yep , the only so called

Yep , the only so called wisdom in the bible a child could write, and so on examination  I say , this book SUCKS , and that story Jesus dude still weeps ,  just  like ME. OUCH.   The most ugly book of deceit of all time the bible ....

IntellectualTitan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: Quote:I've

theidiot wrote:

Quote:
I've heard in weeks.  There is just no going back now, we have to eradicate religion from this country and vastly and completely as possible AND as soon as possible.

Yea, I'm with you my intellectual titan, let's bring out our hill billy rifles, and give individuals the option of either renouncing their religions, or getting their brains blown out. That would be quite effective way, to rid ourselves of our strawdogs. And if we don't have guns, let's just choke the shit out of those god-believing mother-fuckers. 

You're a fuckin retard theist or not. First of all, the Bible IS claimed, almost exclusively by Christians as the infallible word of god. You are aware the letter in RED represent Jesus THE FUCKING SON OF GOD talking right? Right.

And what the fuck are you talking about? Where did you get "hill billy rifles" and "choking" from eradifuckingcating religion? You destroy the IDEA of it with reason and intelligence (something you clearly don't possess), ridicule and mock the fallacies that the idiots like you believe. When people get laughed at and called out on their bullshit enough, they have no choice but to face the erroneous belief.

Oh yea, you're a retard bruh, go somewhere.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
IntellectualTitan

IntellectualTitan wrote:

You're a fuckin retard theist or not. First of all, the Bible IS claimed, almost exclusively by Christians as the infallible word of god. You are aware the letter in RED represent Jesus THE FUCKING SON OF GOD talking right? Right.

Well, tisk tisk, let's not resort to name calling. You wrote "the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD", what you didn't write was "some Christians claim the bible to be a fuckin infallible word of God." You claimed that bible proclaims itself as infallible, not that certain christian proclaim it to be infallible. Do you understand the difference my good man? or do I just lack reason and intelligence here as well?

Quote:
And what the fuck are you talking about? Where did you get "hill billy rifles" and "choking" from eradifuckingcating religion? You destroy the IDEA of it with reason and intelligence.

Reason and intelligence are not as effective as guns. 

Quote:
ridicule and mock the fallacies that the idiots like you believe. When people get laughed at and called out on their bullshit enough, they have no choice but to face the erroneous belief.

Idiots like me? Woah, hold your horses there buddy.  Usually when someone attempts to mock my beliefs, they usually end up looking dimwitted not me bruh, I don't even break a sweat, I just get threatened to be banned and censored. But go ahead, if it gets your dick hard to curse, and call me an idiot or a retard or whatever else, than jizz the fuck away. I'll probably find it entertaining. 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The only reason preachers

The only reason preachers don't usually cuss publicly is because they can't usually benefit from it. Thing is, what they do say, is terrorism, regardless of how subtle and clever. 

Saying, "FUCK all you idols worshipers", is actually often quite helpful and healing, and comes from caring. "Get behind me Satan", you asshole Peter, said a pissed off story Jesus who also smashed the church temple of hypocrites ! Now that's my kind of atheist Jesus !  Damn right I am god as you, and Jesus said so, not that I needed a Jesus to tell me. Thanks mom, thanks Dad. Thanks to all the caring wise that came before me.   

IntellectualTitan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot

theidiot wrote:

IntellectualTitan wrote:

Well, tisk tisk, let's not resort to name calling. You wrote "the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD", what you didn't write was "some Christians claim the bible to be a fuckin infallible word of God." You claimed that bible proclaims itself as infallible, not that certain christian proclaim it to be infallible. Do you understand the difference my good man? or do I just lack reason and intelligence here as well?

Quote:
And what the fuck are you talking about? Where did you get "hill billy rifles" and "choking" from eradifuckingcating religion? You destroy the IDEA of it with reason and intelligence.

Reason and intelligence are not as effective as guns. 

Quote:
ridicule and mock the fallacies that the idiots like you believe. When people get laughed at and called out on their bullshit enough, they have no choice but to face the erroneous belief.

Idiots like me? Woah, hold your horses there buddy.  Usually when someone attempts to mock my beliefs, they usually end up looking dimwitted not me bruh, I don't even break a sweat, I just get threatened to be banned and censored. But go ahead, if it gets your dick hard to curse, and call me an idiot or a retard or whatever else, than jizz the fuck away. I'll probably find it entertaining. 

Lol Jesus Christ (pun intended), your reading comprehension is laughable as well as your IQ. You should be banned just out of stupid. Never mind the fact that you're doing your little theist troll thing, the one place you're not allowed. Well if it's one thing an atheist with half a brain (like moi) is not afraid of, it's any argument with a theist.

So basically you swagger in with a bunch of foul smelling bravado, and little by way of common sense or reason. Let me break it down for you. God "Himself" speaks in the bible, his son speaks A LOT in the bible. Most Christians with a moderate ability to comprehend can only take that one way = word of god.  And it's very much repeated that god is infinitely perfect blah blah blah. So basically, use your FUCKING HEAD.

Your beliefs are dimwitted, so anyone including me would simply be pointing out the obvious. I doubt highly that there's any kind of coherent thought floating around in your big empty head to do anything about it.

Be gone.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah , fuck anyone who

Yeah , fuck anyone who worships a JESUS .... Heck , IntellectualTitan is Christ ! No, I worship nothing .... I am Christ too. 

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:if hes fucking with us

Quote:

No! Ever since he drowned all those people in the big flood he's been a real jerk. And for some reason he hates yeast. All through the Old Testament he keeps hollering "NO YEAST!!!"

He's strange. I don't like him.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:MattShizzle

theidiot wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Well I never titled myself a theist, it was Hawkins erroneous assumption that led to that labeling. I don't consider myself a theist, I assumed my language and foul mouth would have revealed that, but I guess not. Perhaps someone would like to remove that moniker from my profile? I have no desire to be a self proclaimed representative of theism, that's for sure. 

But regardless I stumbled across this post from the recent post tab.

Meh.

Foul-mouthed theists are a dime a dozen. They just "slip" and then ask Jesus (or whatever God they believe in) to forgive them. Then they "slip" again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymous wrote: It really

Anonymous wrote:
It really makes you wonder how anyone could possibly follow something so stupid and poorly written. I wager you could pick up any random comic from my box and make a religion out of it and it would make a hundred times more sense than the bible. I never noticed plants where made before the light gotta ask my indoctrinated fam about that one see what they say to make sense of it.

I blame memes. How else can intelligent human beings believe such bullshit? Memes are units of information that are spread throughout a culture from one person to another like a virus. The information doesn't have to be true for it to be believed and spread. Once believed, it is replicated by word of mouth or some other means. Before long, millions of people believe it.

For instance, every American knows that the Pilgrims first landed at Plymouth Rock. Right? WRONG! There is no record that the Pilgrims ever landed at Plymouth Rock. The records show that the Pilgrims first landed at what is now Provincetown, Massachusetts. Somehow the Plymouth Rock idea got started and spread throughout our culture so that today it is automatically believed  as fact.

So did Jesus really feed five thousand people with a few fish and loaves of bread? The Bible says he did. But there's absolutely no other record anywhere of this "miraculous" event even though 5,000 people supposedly witnessed it.

Memes make it possible for large groups of people to believe anything. And if everybody believes the same thing, then it MUST be true.

Rick

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Maybe they don't want

Maybe they don't want Provincetown to get the credit because it's a major gay mecca?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot

theidiot wrote:

IntellectualTitan wrote:

However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLABLE WORD OF GOD. As such, it would have to contain accurate information about what we know to be true about the world. 

Ah, perhaps you never got past the first chapter of Genesis? Can you show me where in the bible, does the Bible claim itself to be the "infallable word of god"? 

And you're a bit outdated. Here's St. Augustine writing in the 4th century:

Quote:
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

– The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20, Chapt. 19 [AD 408]

Quote:
With the scriptures it is a matter of treating about the faith. For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation.

– ibid, 2:9

Those quotes do not represent a refutation of the assertion that the Bible contains claims it is the word of God. They are just the thoughts of someone who despite being totally committed to his 'faith', was smart and observant enough to notice that even then there were clear discrepancies with the text of the Bible and what was known and coming to be known about the real world.

The blatant assertion that "it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies" is either a hopeful (but mistaken) belief, or a strategic statement that the church leaders such as himself must never admit as a possibility, that they were actually mistaken.

As for what is claimed in the Bible, how about this (2 Timothy 3:15-17):

Quote:
16: All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17: that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Here's the quote from the

Here's the quote from the original OP:  

"However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLABLE WORD OF GOD."

Here's a quote from yours: "Those quotes do not represent a refutation of the assertion that the Bible contains claims it is the word of God. "

What vital component of titan's quote is missing in your response? 

It shouldn't be that hard to figure out, so try again. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Here's the

theidiot wrote:

Here's a quote from yours: "Those quotes do not represent a refutation of the assertion that the Bible contains claims it is the word of God. "

So either you believe your God is not infallible or you don't believe the Bible is the word of your God.

Which is it? If your God is not infallible, why follow it? If the Bible is not the word of your God, why take it seriously?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Here's the

theidiot wrote:

Ok, they do not refute the assertion that the Bible claims it is the infallible word of God either.

We know the Bible is full of inconsistencies and contradictions, so even if you claim the quotes from St Augustine answer the claim that Genesis does not claim that the text is the "infallible word of God", they really don't.

Whatever the interpretation of Genesis, that doesn't logically disprove the claim that the Bible does claim something very close to that in some other passage. Or are you suggesting that the word of God may actually be fallible??

The Bible may not contain absolutely clear assertions that it is a source of infallible 'knowledge', but the body of the text as a whole is ample evidence that it is indeed full of errors, and is one of the best arguments for Atheism around...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Well I never

theidiot wrote:

So what is it atheist or theist?

You argue for the theist side.

If you are a theist stop posting in the Freethinking Anonymous forum.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote:Hey Titan,

Medievalguy wrote:

You beat me to the punch, I always show that to people to demonstrate the extreme stupidity of religious texts. But they always say "thats not in my bible," so I break out their dusty old bibles and find the exact same bullshit. The look on their faces is priceless!!!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
funknotik wrote:Medievalguy

funknotik wrote:

Medievalguy wrote:

You beat me to the punch, I always show that to people to demonstrate the extreme stupidity of religious texts. But they always say "thats not in my bible," so I break out their dusty old bibles and find the exact same bullshit. The look on their faces is priceless!!!

The Holy Bible - The last book a Chrstian should read (if he wants to remain so).

— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So either you believe

Quote:
So either you believe your God is not infallible or you don't believe the Bible is the word of your God.

I suggest you don't think of the term too literally, or you'd end seeming quite odd. 

God is only one of many characters in the bible. The Pharaoh, the pharisee, people's wives, and children all have speaking roles in the bible, how could their dialog be considered the "word of God" as you seem to be applying it?

Or how about those Psalms, like this one: "wake, lord! why are you asleep? Awake! Do not abandoned us for good. Why do you turn your face away, forgetting that we are poor and harassed? (ps 44)" If they're words of God, does it mean God is asking himself why is he sleeping? Or asking himself not to abandon himself?

Applying the term "word of God' is a symbolic titling, rather than literal. And making connotations from here, deducing infallibility by rendering the term literal by rationalist of all people, is grating to ones intelligence. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

Whatever the interpretation of Genesis, that doesn't logically disprove the claim that the Bible does claim something very close to that in some other passage. Or are you suggesting that the word of God may actually be fallible??

I never liked the arrogance of modern atheist, I mean you have two differing genesis accounts placed side by sound, four differing Gospel accounts, with things such as Jesus saying four different things on the cross, and it took almost two thousands year to figure this shit out? 

The infallibility and the gymnastics that the fundamentalist like associate with the bible, is a modern occurrence, as the result of birth of the scientific age, when certain sects of believers felt the need to reinterpret the bible in the frame of scientific fervor of the age. Thus we get the sort of "infallibility" associated with the bible, not from the bible proclaiming such a title for itself, but by the fervency of certain sects of believers. Pre-modern Jews, had quite a liberal interpretive framework for their text, that allows Hillel to proclaim everything beyond love your neighbor as yourself is just commentary. In fact Augustine claimed that if we interpret verses in scripture as an interpretation of love others, and even if this was not so in the context of the verse, that it was still justified. Or in the words of the old Jewish sage Bavli, when asked "what is the Torah?", "it is: the interpretation of the Torah", and that each student of it should add his own sense of gemara to the sacred pages.

Pre-modern world had a literary understanding of their religious text, not as we who think anachronistically associate with it, as some sort of scientific text book. 

Quote:
16: All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

I'd be weary of how your applying the word breathe (theopneustos) here, a Greek word often used by Plato. But I'll use Josephus to get a better grasp of the term: The Scriptures of the prophets who were according to the inspiration (theopneustos) of God."

The term implies that scripture is inspired by God, a term we could apply to love poems, by saying all love poems are inspired by love.

Nothing in the Bible proclaims for itself anything remotely close to the sense of infallibility you and others here attempt to associate with it, and it's just remnant of that repugnant fundamentalist christian like box a number of unbelievers have a difficult time getting themselves out of. Nor does the term "word of God" apply to the bible in the sense that you attempt to apply to it. 

There for the claim by the OP:  "However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD." is false, what is accurate is that some believers claim the bible to the infallible word of God, but the bible makes no such claims for itself. 

Quote:
The Bible may not contain absolutely clear assertions that it is a source of infallible 'knowledge', but the body of the text as a whole is ample evidence that it is indeed full of errors, and is one of the best arguments for Atheism around...

This is a joke right? If you think this is one of the best arguments atheist have going around, then atheist are a sorry bunch. When I was a disbeliever, the last thing that would have led me to disbelieve was, that holy shit Jesus says four different things on the cross. The argument wouldn't have even phased me when I was child, being raised in a fundamentalist church. Because even then I understand that to understand the bible it would have to be a literary frame of mind, rather then how i would read my biology book. 

But it's good to know, that there are a number of brilliant atheist, the Albert Camus, the John Grays, the Nietzches, and etc.. and that the sorry lack of reflection you and others here show is not representative. Those individuals who get it, understand what I got even as a child. If one doesn't have a literary understanding of the bible, of what reflection goes on behind the pages, they really don't have a clue at all, and their touted intelligence on such things is to be doubted. 

Imagine if i was a person arguing against the meaning of the story of three little pigs, or the frog and scorpion, the tortoise and the hare, with the same logic of what you consider to be one of the best argument atheist have going for them, that animals don't talk. Thats kind of what it sounds like when I hear the argument of the OP, and the rest that follow. 

What do you think the Genesis story is about? What is the meaning of the passage? What sort of reflection is behind the words? Treat it as any other narrative, we read as children and as we read as adults, not as an idiot who think it read like a pre-modern science book. Humanist psychoanalyst Erich Fromm use the narrative to illustrate the dilemma of our self-awareness. What do you make of it?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
 So what is it atheist or

Quote:

You argue for the theist side?

I didn't know i was suppose to be fucking cheer leader?

I'm on the left of political equator, but when I hear liberals make strawmen out of conservative views, I correct them the same. Ignorance is my enemy, and i refuse to cheer it on, even it's from the babble of those on my side. 

I may not be a theist, but i have far more of a reflection on theism and Christianity than anyone I've found on these forums that's for sure, because I understand the material and the religion at its strongest. Though certain events in my live don't allow me to commit to Christianity, or to say that I believe, or to label myself as a theist. But I don't give anyone room theist or atheist, to claim that i've created a strawman out of the christian belief system, or religion in general. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Quote:So

theidiot wrote:

Quote:

I suggest you don't think of the term too literally, or you'd end seeming quite odd. 

God is only one of many characters in the bible. The Pharaoh, the pharisee, people's wives, and children all have speaking roles in the bible, how could their dialog be considered the "word of God" as you seem to be applying it?

Or how about those Psalms, like this one: "wake, lord! why are you asleep? Awake! Do not abandoned us for good. Why do you turn your face away, forgetting that we are poor and harassed? (ps 44)" If they're words of God, does it mean God is asking himself why is he sleeping? Or asking himself not to abandon himself?

Applying the term "word of God' is a symbolic titling, rather than literal. And making connotations from here, deducing infallibility by rendering the term literal by rationalist of all people, is grating to ones intelligence. 

BobSpence1 wrote:

I never liked the arrogance of modern atheist, I mean you have two differing genesis accounts placed side by sound, four differing Gospel accounts, with things such as Jesus saying four different things on the cross, and it took almost two thousands year to figure this shit out? 

The infallibility and the gymnastics that the fundamentalist like associate with the bible, is a modern occurrence, as the result of birth of the scientific age, when certain sects of believers felt the need to reinterpret the bible in the frame of scientific fervor of the age. Thus we get the sort of "infallibility" associated with the bible, not from the bible proclaiming such a title for itself, but by the fervency of certain sects of believers. Pre-modern Jews, had quite a liberal interpretive framework for their text, that allows Hillel to proclaim everything beyond love your neighbor as yourself is just commentary. In fact Augustine claimed that if we interpret verses in scripture as an interpretation of love others, and even if this was not so in the context of the verse, that it was still justified. Or in the words of the old Jewish sage Bavli, when asked "what is the Torah?", "it is: the interpretation of the Torah", and that each student of it should add his own sense of gemara to the sacred pages.

Pre-modern world had a literary understanding of their religious text, not as we who think anachronistically associate with it, as some sort of scientific text book. 

Quote:

I'd be weary of how your applying the word breathe (theopneustos) here, a Greek word often used by Plato. But I'll use Josephus to get a better grasp of the term: The Scriptures of the prophets who were according to the inspiration (theopneustos) of God."

The term implies that scripture is inspired by God, a term we could apply to love poems, by saying all love poems are inspired by love.

Nothing in the Bible proclaims for itself anything remotely close to the sense of infallibility you and others here attempt to associate with it, and it's just remnant of that repugnant fundamentalist christian like box a number of unbelievers have a difficult time getting themselves out of. Nor does the term "word of God" apply to the bible in the sense that you attempt to apply to it. 

There for the claim by the OP:  "However the bible claims to be the FUCKIN INFALLIBLE WORD OF GOD." is false, what is accurate is that some believers claim the bible to the infallible word of God, but the bible makes no such claims for itself. 

Quote:

This is a joke right? If you think this is one of the best arguments atheist have going around, then atheist are a sorry bunch. When I was a disbeliever, the last thing that would have led me to disbelieve was, that holy shit Jesus says four different things on the cross. The argument wouldn't have even phased me when I was child, being raised in a fundamentalist church. Because even then I understand that to understand the bible it would have to be a literary frame of mind, rather then how i would read my biology book. 

But it's good to know, that there are a number of brilliant atheist, the Albert Camus, the John Grays, the Nietzches, and etc.. and that the sorry lack of reflection you and others here show is not representative. Those individuals who get it, understand what I got even as a child. If one doesn't have a literary understanding of the bible, of what reflection goes on behind the pages, they really don't have a clue at all, and their touted intelligence on such things is to be doubted. 

Imagine if i was a person arguing against the meaning of the story of three little pigs, or the frog and scorpion, the tortoise and the hare, with the same logic of what you consider to be one of the best argument atheist have going for them, that animals don't talk. Thats kind of what it sounds like when I hear the argument of the OP, and the rest that follow. 

What do you think the Genesis story is about? What is the meaning of the passage? What sort of reflection is behind the words? Treat it as any other narrative, we read as children and as we read as adults, not as an idiot who think it read like a pre-modern science book. Humanist psychoanalyst Erich Fromm use the narrative to illustrate the dilemma of our self-awareness. What do you make of it?

So you believe that the Bible is a work of fiction inspired by god (another work of fiction)?

Why are you defending the book so stridently?

— George Carlin

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: Quote:So

theidiot wrote:

Quote:

WTF? Has nothing to do with my questions.

Quote:
I'm on the left of political equator, but when I hear liberals make strawmen out of conservative views, I correct them the same.

Again WTF?  

Quote:
Ignorance is my enemy, and i refuse to cheer it on, even it's from the babble of those on my side.

Again WTF?

Quote:
I may not be a theist,

But you are right?

Quote:
but i have far more of a reflection on theism and Christianity than anyone I've found on these forums that's for sure, because I understand the material and the religion at its strongest.

This is delusional

Quote:
Though certain events in my live don't allow me to commit to Christianity, or to say that I believe, or to label myself as a theist. But I don't give anyone room theist or atheist, to claim that i've created a strawman out of the christian belief system, or religion in general. 

You're either being evasive or you don't understand the question. Do you or do you not believe there's a god of some kind?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: Quote:So

theidiot wrote:

Quote:

I'm on the left of political equator, but when I hear liberals make strawmen out of conservative views, I correct them the same. Ignorance is my enemy, and i refuse to cheer it on, even it's from the babble of those on my side. 

I may not be a theist, but i have far more of a reflection on theism and Christianity than anyone I've found on these forums that's for sure, because I understand the material and the religion at its strongest. Though certain events in my live don't allow me to commit to Christianity, or to say that I believe, or to label myself as a theist. But I don't give anyone room theist or atheist, to claim that i've created a strawman out of the christian belief system, or religion in general. 

You understand the material because your pastor told you you did, eh? That's like a dittohead claiming to be an independent thinker because Rush said he was.

— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Quote:you understand the

Quote:
you understand the material because your pastor told you you did, eh? That's like a dittohead claiming to be an independent thinker because Rush said he was.

You understand the material because Brian Sapient told you, eh?

No buddy, I don't even have a pastor. And the pastor of my youth, though a kind and loving man who lost his youngest son tragically, had little to say to me, that I could remember, other than a sermon dedicated to me about the vices of wearing hair gel, and printed shirts. 

I can understand the material because I can read. I can understand the material because I'm not out of touch with the conditions and life of other human beings. I can understand the material because I'm not out of touch with man's misery and hopes. I can understand the material because I spend the time to learn, the history, and the narrative of belief.

I can understand because I accept the bible for what it is, a wholly human book by men making sense of the despair around them, to perceive meaning when there isn't none, to see hope even as it is being deprived from them. 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Really , explain the dirt

Really , explain the dirt to me, theidiot , the material ???????? Then explain the chaos we live under ? God to the rescue, how so ? Faith in what ?

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Then explain the

Quote:
Then explain the chaos we live under ?

We? Who said anything about "we"? I'm sure you you live comfortably on cloud 9 somewhere. 

If we're talking about the ancient Hebrews, or the conditions of first century Jews, in which the Gospels emerge from, then despair speaks for itself to anyone with a passing understanding of their history. Roman rule used the cross as an effective means of driving despair among the Jewish communities, dominate by despair. The creativity of the gospels attempts to subvert this symbol, to deprive the cross of despair dominance, by recasting it as a symbol of hope, one that is no longer to be afraid of, and as the narrative goes hope overcomes despair. 

Quote:
God to the rescue, how so ? Faith in what ?

Faith, when there's nothing else to believe in. Hope, when there is nothing to hope for. A belief in God makes the impossible possible (Moltmann). 

God may not come to the rescue, what they hope for may never arrive, the slave may not be delivered, their children may not survive, but a belief in God allows them to believe in hope even when there is nothing to be hopeful about. Either they hope in something impossible, or they do not have hope at all, and sink into despair.

But I doubt you'll get it, people living on cloud 9 rarely do.  

I doubt I'll get a worthy response from you, but I'll get more of the same baiting. I'm expecting rather than a reflective response, I'll get thoughtless tripe, but you're welcome to prove me wrong. 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I do get it well enough, and

I do get it well enough, and what you have written in this last post, I agree with much of it.

Umm , yeah $ poor lucky me. I am an atheist for jesus, for g-awe-d, for truth, for hope, against despair. The lesson of the my jesus this day, as always was, is to defeat fear and superstition dogma.

..."hope overcomes despair", honesty over dogma ..... The impossible is not possible, but what is thought impossible may be possible. God to the rescue is we, ourselves, and collectively, by loving communication education of all the sciences in their broadest sense. Science is the study of gawed, the awe, reality.

I am more interested in more discovery, as that will be most effective at eliminating damning god concepts of dogmatic separatism fantasy. I am atheist, all is one, and that is the "good word", of all the wise, past and present. The traditional church is mostly a criminal organization against truth, wisdom, and humanity. The church, for the most part, is a mockery of g-awe-d, and makes horrible miss-use of the ancient bible writings, of uneducated hard times.

Yeah, g-awe-d on our side, because we  are  g-o-d.    Cloud 9 ? !!!

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Faith, when

theidiot wrote:
Faith, when there's nothing else to believe in. Hope, when there is nothing to hope for. A belief in God makes the impossible possible (Moltmann). 

God may not come to the rescue, what they hope for may never arrive, the slave may not be delivered, their children may not survive, but a belief in God allows them to believe in hope even when there is nothing to be hopeful about. Either they hope in something impossible, or they do not have hope at all, and sink into despair.

This has always struck me as a terrible, even dangerous, reason to believe.

Hoping that something imaginary will come to your rescue makes giving up so much easier. I've seen it with my own eyes, where parents are so distraught and terrified for their child's life they give up on medicine to take the child home and pray for god's intervention.

Would medicine have saved any of thee children? I don't know, but it is possible. Will god save these children? No, because he's imaginary. Believing in god sealed the doom of these kids.

Knowing that the universe is stark and uncaring, but relying on one's self and on those around you gives real hope, however. Knowing it's better to hope you'll beat 14% odds than to be sure you'll bury a loved one soon. Hoping you've made the right choices to make yourself obvious to a search party when you're lost beats settling in to die. Working with your neighbors to bring some improvement to your impoverished neighborhood beats spending time in church hoping someone else will.

Hope is on the side of the rational, calm thinker.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"We are condemned to be

Echoing Jill ((((  "We are condemned to be free", to be gawed, god damit it. (Philosopher Sartre).  Oh well, the truth is the truth. Asking some other god to help doesn't work .... ask the living.