design?

Xeron
User is offlineOffline
design?

All you I.D. suporters out there please explain to me what exactly you mean by "design" and why "design" or "accident" has anything to do with HOW (process) and not only with why(intent)

Xeron
User is offlineOffline
   Ok to try and clarify

Ok to try and clarify this further , imho "design" implyes some sort of intent therefore inteligence , but allso "design" is in the eye of the beholder .

On seome levle the entire I.D. argument can be reduced to a variation of good vs evil aka design vs accident (we all know how accidents are a bad bad thing) , and has NOTHING to say about HOW . Just the same "ignorance is bliss" shit , why should we care how it`s enough to know someone(thing) made it this way

So maybe the FSM farted this universe ...really it was just an accident he says...i mean he didn`t wanna offend zeus with such a fart, it was in no way a planed and designed creation . Feeling bad? Would you feel better if he actually planed to fart? Would you care less about how FSM farts make Big Bangs?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I doubt any ID proponent

I doubt any ID proponent will be able to satisfactorily answer your question.

ID is not about explaining anything. ID - all creationism really - is an emotional and moral issue. They aren't coming up with a different conclusion after reviewing the evidence, what they are doing is worrying about the moral consequences of 'believing' that humans are animals.

This cartoon is representative of the issue:

Just look at the silly concepts they attach to evolution!

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The design is obviously

The design is obviously fucked up .... the proof is me , and you .... So yes, I can find nothing to worship .....

Xeron
User is offlineOffline
Ok i think what i`m saying

Ok i think what i`m saying is , (asking the I.D. people here) , if i give in and say that BigBang actually cares about what you think and who you screw with, while still hanging on to everything i know or theorise about it , would you feel any better? would you actually care at all about how it happened or would you be compleatly satisfied knowing that in fact it cares and you are NOT AN ACCIDENT, yes you ARE special , the universe cares !!

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
The whole ID/Creationism

The whole ID/Creationism meme is an old one, that has existed in various forms for tens of thousands of years. It is strongly engrained into our culture as are the religious memeplexes they are attached to. Sometimes 150 years of modern biology isn't always enough to convince people against an ancient myth that has been around almost as long as human beings. It is very easy to understand how people would originally have come to this conclusion, when there was no other explanation. If I lived in pre-Darwininan times, I would probably have been a creationist, or a very unhappy atheist at best.

Modern creationism is effectively a reactionary movement trying to cling on to old ideas. Flat earth societies existed into the twentieth century, and there are very few people who still deny heliocentricity. It is a reactionary fad that will die out eventually. The want to believe in this because for them it sounds a lot nicer than the brutal truth. For them, if there is a designer, then somehow it means the designer also has a moral law (because the two memes are connected by religion (when has there ever been an amoral or immoral creator in religion?)), whereas because evolution rules out the need for a creator, it also rules out the need for a moral law giver. Therefore, in their minds they cannot overcome the dispair that a creatorless world would give them and so they revert back into the warm bosom of religious idiocy and snap their jaws defensively at anyone who challenges their intellectual slumber.

A lot of creationism also comes from misunderstanding of the actual theory. These misunderstandings are common even among people who accept evolution.