Watch theidiot (name appropriate) struggle! [Trollville]

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Watch theidiot (name appropriate) struggle! [Trollville]

I've taken on Jesus Mythicist for sometime, on other forums, but it's gotten boring recently as I've run out of challengers. 

And I want to lay some more smack downs, and I'm calling out Rook Hawkins. I'm far from an uniformed individual on the History of the New Testament, or historical method in general, and I want put my knowledge to the test. Usually I find mythicist who are quite ignorant of history, and they make easy but boring targets. So I'm looking for a real challenge, to take on someone who doesn't consider his knowledge of history to be lacking, and that's why I'm calling out Rook. 

Is our Rooky up for the challenge?

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Quote: 

natural wrote:

Quote:
  Romans would take plaster masks of Emperors (so future generations would have a mold - sculptors would use these molds at times to produce busts) and we have Caesar's own writings, we have contemporary enemy attestation (Cicero) to who he was.  We know for a fact that Caesar was a man.  There is absolutely no doubt to this.  This is 100% certainty.

Only if by '100%' you mean 'rounded up from 99.999...%'. I'm talking about the methodology of statistics. In these kinds of statistical claims, it is not possible to claim exactly 100% certainty. Since historical scholarship relies on empirical statistics, you cannot claim exactly 100% certainty. Sorry, you just can't. But hey, it's up to you. I'm just saying that this kind of claim is going to lead you down many detours.

There is, in fact, a difference between mathematical certainty and pragmatic certainty. Absolutely. In the case of history, however, it's not quite like statistical physics. History (and especially ancient history) requires much less in terms of mathematical certainty, and leans on pragmatic certainty, so that we can all move along with our lives.

While it is possible that Jesus existed and that Julius Caesar was a woman, both suggestions have their extremely low probabilities to contend with. The biggest problem here is that theidiot isn't moving on to address the literary styles of Greco-Roman biography and Hebrew tradition. That's the crux of the argument, and thus far it's been avoided.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:I don’t

theidiot wrote:

I don’t want to hear nothing about I’m deluded, or whatever other ad hominems you can flay at me, particularly since you have just threatened to ban me from these forum. If you feel that I have given into “delusions” i.e. cognitive dissonance, confirmation bias etc.. point it out, show me how and where I’d done so.

You're losing me with "I don't want to hear nothing."

theidiot wrote:
If someone can reasonably argue that the mythicist case is more probable than Jesus being a historical person, I’d be quite happy for the enlightenment.

K. It looks more like the new testament was written in a story style than in a biography style. How's that? Train your risk-management mind on that probability: it is more likely that it's a story written to illustrate a point than a biography about a man.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: Quote:Your

theidiot wrote:

Quote:
Your claim: Jesus being Jewish(a) explains the Judaic influences present in the gospel writings(b).

(a) implies (b)

You presuppose (a)

Therefore, (b) is accurate.

This is begging the question, otherwise known as circular reasoning.

Uhm, no that's not what I said. I said the gospels are written within the jewish context, and that explains the Judaic influences present in the gospel. A claim no different that saying a writer being a devout catholic, explains the christian influences present in his writings. 

And the Jesus of the Gospels, the Jesus of history is a Jew, a jewish teacher in fact, and as such his thoughts are also influenced by the Jewish worldview. 

Luke was written in Greek and has a lot in common with the Homeric epics. As it was written in the greek context, should I not pay attention to the fact that his Jesus has more in common with Odysseus and Achilles than with an itinerant Jewish rabbi?

Now all you have to is prove that the "Jesus of history" probably existed.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Luke was written in

Quote:

Luke was written in Greek and has a lot in common with the Homeric epics. As it was written in the greek context, should I not pay attention to the fact that his Jesus has more in common with Odysseus and Achilles than with an itinerant Jewish rabbi?

Yea, and I'm guessing salvation, redemption, sin, Jewish messiah, 1001 refrences  to OT passages, Jesus as Jewish Rabbi, the Pharisees the Sadducees, passover, davidic lineage, etc....etc....etc... are all part of the Greek context? The Gospels are a product of  a jewish worldview, there is no denying this. 

Now, if even if what you claimed is true, it would only show the first century Jewish worldview had greek influences.

And this silly thing about Jesus being Odysseus I go over, in my new thread, which is a continuation of this win minus the excess.

Here's a link to it, if you haven't found it yourself:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14997

"I'm really an idiot! I have my own head way the fuck up my ass! Watch me dig myself into a hole over and over again!" ~Rook Hawkins (just citing sources)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Quote:Luke

theidiot wrote:

Quote:

Yea, and I'm guessing salvation, redemption, sin, Jewish messiah, 1001 refrences  to OT passages, Jesus as Jewish Rabbi, the Pharisees the Sadducees, passover, davidic lineage, etc....etc....etc... are all part of the Greek context? The Gospels are a product of  a jewish worldview, there is no denying this. 

Now, if even if what you claimed is true, it would only show the first century Jewish worldview had greek influences.

And this silly thing about Jesus being Odysseus I go over, in my new thread, which is a continuation of this win minus the excess.

Here's a link to it, if you haven't found it yourself:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/14997

All that shows is that the authors used a wide variety of texts and models to build the Jesus character. Or are you going to tell me Luke wasn't written in Greek?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
Quote:am not a 'Jesus

Quote:
am not a 'Jesus mythicist' any more than I am a 'Darwinist' or 'Evolutionist'; I'm a skeptic.

'Jesus existed!' is a positive claim. If you wish to make that claim, the burden of proof lies with you.

I suggest you think more on what your saying. Evolution happened is a positive claim. So is the Jesus Myth Hypothesis, to whose adherers we label mythicist. Jesus was a historical person is a positive claim, so is a claim that Jesus is a purely mythical and fictive being. 

I, like you, see it as fairly pointless to label myself as an evolutionist, but if someone who likes to use my acceptance of a evolution, as a reference  point, common language might lead  him to labeling me an evolutionist, just as we label  creationist as creationist, or 9/11 conspiracy nuts, as 9/11 conspiracy theorist. You and I are both Darwinist and Evolutionist if by the term we mean accepters of the theory of evolution, even if we desire to use no such labels on ourselves. And accepters of the Jesus myth hypothesis, are mythicist, if they desire no such labels on themselves. 

I don't know where your from, but in my neck of the woods, we call a duck a duck, even if the duck doesn't like to be called by a name.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Quote:am not

theidiot wrote:

Quote:
am not a 'Jesus mythicist' any more than I am a 'Darwinist' or 'Evolutionist'; I'm a skeptic.

'Jesus existed!' is a positive claim. If you wish to make that claim, the burden of proof lies with you.

I suggest you think more on what your saying. Evolution happened is a positive claim. So is the Jesus Myth Hypothesis, to whose adherers we label mythicist. Jesus was a historical person is a positive claim, so is a claim that Jesus is a purely mythical and fictive being. 

I, like you, see it as fairly pointless to label myself as an evolutionist, but if someone who likes to use my acceptance of a evolution, as a reference  point, common language might lead  him to labeling me an evolutionist, just as we label  creationist as creationist, or 9/11 conspiracy nuts, as 9/11 conspiracy theorist. You and I are both Darwinist and Evolutionist if by the term we mean accepters of the theory of evolution, even if we desire to use no such labels on ourselves. And accepters of the Jesus myth hypothesis, are mythicist, if they desire no such labels on themselves. 

I don't know where your from, but in my neck of the woods, we call a duck a duck, even if the duck doesn't like to be called by a name.

And where is your proof that the Jesus Christ, son of God construct the Gospel writers built is even probably a historical person?

Or do you still wish to quibble over the small stuff?

— George Carlin

shikko
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:Quote:am not

theidiot wrote:

Quote:

I suggest you think more on what your saying. Evolution happened is a positive claim.

Yes, it is.  The evidence for it can be seen in the areas of gene theory, common descent, epigenetics and the like.  That's evidence that supports the claims of evolutionary theory.

Quote:

So is the Jesus Myth Hypothesis, to whose adherers we label mythicist. Jesus was a historical person is a positive claim, so is a claim that Jesus is a purely mythical and fictive being. 

Beg pardon?  How is assertion something does not exist a positive claim?  "Santa exists" is a positive claim.  "There are no married bachelors" is a negative claim.  "Jesus was a real person" is a positive claim, for which must be offered positive evidence.  Therefore, "Jesus did not exist" is a negative claim.  The support for that would be, well, absence of the evidence we'd expect from a real person.

Quote:

So what do you call it when someone who obviously possesses the requisite vocabulary incorrectly classifies a type of claim?   Around here, we call it a duckup, although I may have mistyped that.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

theidiot
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: which is a

theidiot wrote:

which is a continuation of this win minus the excess.

I just read this, and I have no idea why it says "win" in the middle of my sentence. It should just be "which is a continuation of this minus the excess." It was a careless oversight on my part not to catch this before I posted, and for some reason I don't have the edit post function as an option to re-edit the post. 

I know it seems weird that mistakenly inserted characters spell win, and that the word can fit in, with the sentence properly, as an inference that I "won". 

But i had no desire to infer such a thing, and that the inference in my previous post was purely accidental. I don't believe I won anything. 

I just wanted to clarify this. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote:theidiot

theidiot wrote:

theidiot wrote:

which is a continuation of this win minus the excess.

I just read this, and I have no idea why it says "win" in the middle of my sentence. It should just be "which is a continuation of this minus the excess." It was a careless oversight on my part not to catch this before I posted, and for some reason I don't have the edit post function as an option to re-edit the post. 

I know it seems weird that mistakenly inserted characters spell win, and that the word can fit in, with the sentence properly, as an inference that I "won". 

But i had no desire to infer such a thing, and that the inference in my previous post was purely accidental. I don't believe I won anything. 

I just wanted to clarify this. 

Letting your subconscious type again? Like when alcohol loosened Mel Gibson's tongue and his anti-Semitism came out for all to hear?

Smiling

— George Carlin

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
theidiot wrote: Quote:It's

theidiot wrote:

Quote:
It's called plagiarism.  You can be put in jail for that.  Expelled from a university.  You're educated?  Yeah, okay.

Yea, it looks like the pot’s calling the kettle black:

Is Rook Hawkins Plagiarizing: [link removed by Mod]

Except I didn't plagiarize.  I cited Dennis McKinsey in the document and Frank even admits to this.  I also had permission from the original author (Dennis McKinsey).  You did neither.  You know, there is something about you using poor sources.  First Wikipedia and now Frank Walton.  If you get your information from these sources I don't think I have to worry much about what it is you have to say. 

Quote:
Of course when David from Myspace showed that you plagiarized somewhere else.

You said that this: “Biggest Cop-Out Of All Time.”

It was a cop-out because he was citing the same source without considering the source.  He, like you, are guilty of being lazy and not doing your research.

Quote:
 http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/the_rational_response_mail_bag/637

I didn’t properly cite a source, and on a number of occasion neither have you. So what, let’s move on. I’ll make sure to be more careful next time.

I was only going to put you on a one week time-out.  But you don't read, and apparently came back with a sock puppet.  You don't heed warnings; you continually harass my friends here.  This isn't RnR.  We have standards here.  I told you if you didn't stop antagonizing you'd be gone.  So, with the sock-puppet and the antagonizing, you're gone.

Quote:
Quote:
Warning: This violates 2.1. Antagonism in the forum rules.  This is your last warning.  We've been more than patient with you, especially concerning how you treat people on this board.  Continue to violate this, and you'll be gone from this message board.

Yea, and I’m guessing this doesn’t:

Quote:
You're a loon, that's what you are.  And are a disgrace to human life. 

No it doesn't.  I was spitting back at you.  If you want me to go back and show you the many times where you have not just antagonized me, but respectable members on this site, I would be more than happy to.  Although, they aren't hard to find.  In every post you make you spew some form of filth.

Quote:
Yep, you’re the big dude with the mod power. You can say whatever you want, and try to censor others who do the same. But that’s fine. I’ll start to moderate my tongue.

If that were the case I would have banned you from the get go.  I gave you plenty of time to shape up and straighten out.  Unfortunately, it seems, there isn't much of a way for a slug on a drive way to make himself look like a civilized human being, now is there?

Quote:
I can see that our discussion has gotten out of hand, and I’m willing to acknowledge my hand in this. I was unnecessarily provoking. So perhaps we can start over. I finished quite a lengthy response to your previous post. It’s far more polite, far more to the point, and I covered an extensive amount of ground. It’s quite polite to you, though I do take some playful jabs, but you should be light hearted enough not to mind.

You lost your chance with your last few posts.  You could have just posted that, and I would have been happy.  Instead, you made additional rude comments to members and have shown your character by posting up something from a propagandist like Frank Walton.  I have no time for games.  You had plenty of time to work out your responses in a more polite manner twenty posts ago.  Instead you chose to be immature, rude and arrogant.  I have two books I'm working on, finishing up a slide presentation for this weekend for a lecture I'm giving in NYC, and trying to do my duty as a boyfriend, room mate, co-worker at my part time job, and find time to relax somewhere amidst all of this.  I will not continue to play your games at the expense of my time. 

Quote:
The Mythicist that I’ve ran into on forums are not as informed as me, not because they are less intelligent than me, but because they have no desire to pursue even a hobbyist interest in ancient history, and are not to eager to venture past the shallow.

And  this is why, I came to this forum, and called you out, because I figured you’d offer me the challenge I was looking to spurn my brain juices. And you have, and so I am thankful for that.

You are lying.  You came on this site to antagonize me.  Your first post said it all - and your posts in additional threads where you claimed to be destroying me--obviously arrogant banter--not only belayed your motives but spoke of your character.

[fixed quotes- (I think) aiia]

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)