It seems like you are trying to force people to think a certain way [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
It seems like you are trying to force people to think a certain way [YOU RESPOND]

Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:31 AM
Subject: [Defend my God!] Not understanding completely

> Josh Fee sent a message using the contact form at
> http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.
>
> I wanted to ask a few questions about your objectives and the things that
> you believe in.  I can understand why when you look at "Christians" why it
> can cause anger and frustration.  I am a Christian youth minister and I
> look at myself and Christians and get frustrated sometimes also.  But what
> I don't understand is why you encourage free thinking but then it seems
> like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.  The Bible
> teaches us to question all things through personal research.  I understand
> that people group Athiests together and create a very stereotypical
> paradigm of what atheism means.  But it seems like you are doing the same
> things with Christians.  A personal relationship with God was a gift for
> us, but some people use it as a pedastool to infuse their own ideas.  I
> understand that you want people to think on their own and for a long time
> there have been "Christians" that have been force feeding religion.  This
> is not how God teaches us and this is not what his word says.  God doesn't
> call us to religion, he calls us to a relationship with him.  I would have
> posted this on your  chat forums but I was understanding that I had to be a
> member to do that. 

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok Mr. Christian youth

Ok Mr. Christian youth moles, er minister, how can we force you how to think?   Can you provide examples of people who have been forced to think as a freethinker against their will?  Answering these two questions will go a long way into eliminating the immediate WTF? thoughts I get from reading your position.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm calling you on your

I'm calling you on your bull, Mr. Fee. How can you justify your position of us atheists forcing our beliefs while using one of your high school computers to post your diatribe? I sure hope your pharmacist has no problem prescribing some sleep medication, because that's likely the only way you can sleep at night. That is unless you're one of those conscience free individuals that lives to cause mayhem.

edit: http://www.fbcrankin.com/  I wouldn't have touched on this if it hadn't been for the guy using either a school or library computer to post. Take note that his wife's name is misspelled in the ministries section under youth.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: But what> I don't

Quote:
But what
> like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.

Because, Einstein, what seems to you to be the case is not the case.  Only one of us is holding the threat of eternal damnation over people if they don't happen to agree...   it ain't us.

Quote:
The Bible
> teaches us to question all things through personal research.

Where?

Quote:
A personal relationship with God was a gift for
> us, but some people use it as a pedastool to infuse their own ideas.

Pedastool... peda is usually associated with teaching (pedagogy, for instance), and stool is shit... does this mean teaching shit?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"I can understand why when

Quote:
I can understand why when you look at "Christians" why it can cause anger and frustration. 

No Josh, I don't think you can. I'm to the point now that the statement "I'm a Christian" is synonymous with "I rape and kill toddlers." I don't believe you're at that place.

Quote:
But what I don't understand is why you encourage free thinking but then it seems like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.  The Bible
 teaches us to question all things through personal research.

1. The RRS tries to teach people to think. They leave it to people like you to tell people what to think.

2. Personal research that consists of reading books espousing views you already hold?

Quote:
I understand that people group Athiests together and create a very stereotypical paradigm of what atheism means.  But it seems like you are doing the same
 things with Christians.

No, the Christians who visit pretty much do that by themselves. 

Quote:
God doesn't call us to religion, he calls us to a relationship with him.

Thanks, but I gave up having Invisble Friends quite some time ago

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
josh fee wrote: I can

josh fee wrote:

I can understand why when you look at "Christians" why it can cause anger and frustration.  I am a Christian youth minister and I look at myself and Christians and get frustrated sometimes also.

No you don't understand at all. You get frustrated for far different reasons than I do. My frustration lies in how Christians ignore reality and promote views that have no basis. It would be nice if many I encounter even knew where their beliefs originated, they don't seem to have a clue. I suspect your frustration lies in other areas but since you have not expressed where I'm not going to try and guess.

josh fee wrote:

But what I don't understand is why you encourage free thinking but then it seems like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.

How does someone force others to think a certain way when they aren't using threats of damnation as most religions? We encourage people to use their minds and think in a rational way. We suggest they use reality based thinking not supernatural and mystical.

josh fee wrote:

The Bible teaches us to question all things through personal research.

No. it doesn't. It teaches you to accept God's word for it. It does not tell you to research into alternatives or possibilities that may discredit your belief. No, it tells you it is better to accept on faith as Jesus told Thomas when he had to see the marks on his hands and side.

josh fee wrote:

I understand that people group Athiests together and create a very stereotypical paradigm of what atheism means.  But it seems like you are doing the same things with Christians.

I know that Christians fall into many different subsets. It seems that we get many fundamentalists that visit us here to challenge us or to attempt to save us.

josh fee wrote:

A personal relationship with God was a gift for us, but some people use it as a pedastool to infuse their own ideas.

Such as the Catholic Church, nearly all televangelists, and others who feel they can impose their ideas on others.

josh fee wrote:

I understand that you want people to think on their own and for a long time there have been "Christians" that have been force feeding religion.  This is not how God teaches us and this is not what his word says. 

Such as back to Peter in the Book of Acts? 2000 years of Catholicism with imposition of believe or die? Attempts to put your morals into civil laws?

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Josh Fee said:But what I

Josh Fee said:

But what I don't understand is why you encourage free thinking but then it seems like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.

Dear Mr. Fee,

I can't believe you found me. No other christian in the history of time has been able to find me. But you said you don't understand so let me explain.

You see, all the Atheists who have responded to you thus far, and all those who will respond after me...well, they're "the good guys". Now, you may be asking yourself, "how can he know that other Atheists will respond after he does"?

Welp, ummm,  it's like this... I'm magical. Yes, hard to believe, I know, but it's true. Yet, it's far more than just that. See, I am, in fact, THE evil one...  the one your holy book warned you about. That's how I'm able to force all the other christians into thinking a certain way. Remember, I AM the way, and the light and all that other jazz.

Anyway, you're right about one thing....if it seems like it (or even dances like it and holds a pitchfork) welp...'s just li'l ol meSo stop blaming all the good guys will ya?

Oh yeah, and have a nice day.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Josh Fee wrote:it seems like

Josh Fee wrote:
it seems like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.

Biggest projection ever? This is exactly what a youth minister does for a living.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonko

Wonko wrote:

Josh Fee said:

Dear Mr. Fee,

I can't believe you found me. No other christian in the history of time has been able to find me. But you said you don't understand so let me explain.

You see, all the Atheists who have responded to you thus far, and all those who will respond after me...well, they're "the good guys". Now, you may be asking yourself, "how can he know that other Atheists will respond after he does"?

Welp, ummm,  it's like this... I'm magical. Yes, hard to believe, I know, but it's true. Yet, it's far more than just that. See, I am, in fact, THE evil one...  the one your holy book warned you about. That's how I'm able to force all the other christians into thinking a certain way. Remember, I AM the way, and the light and all that other jazz.

Anyway, you're right about one thing....if it seems like it (or even dances like it and holds a pitchfork) welp...'s just li'l ol meSo stop blaming all the good guys will ya?

it sounds like you've been reading  http://www.rationalresonders.com/forum/14849

WHY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But what> I don't

Quote:

But what
> like you are trying to force people to think a certain way.

Okay, okay, OKAY!!! I admit it! I admit it, dammit!

I've been Private Messaging every single theist to ever have come aboard with threats that if they don't start applying the scientific method tomorrow morning, they will be sent to the horrible sea of Alfredo for all eternity by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, there to languish under the torments of the horrible Slithering Fettuccine Beast for all time.

Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Josh Fee

Josh Fee wrote:
pedastool
What's a "pedastool"? is that some alternative word for "ottoman"?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like my definition

I like my definition better:

"Peda" is used in words about teaching, like "pedagogy."  Stool, of course, is shit, so pedastool is teaching shit.

Of course, there's another possibility.  "Peda" really means "foot" or "feet."  (Teaching = path to knowledge... walking, etc...)  So, pedastool could be the act of stepping in shit.  I think that's also appropriate to the analogy of getting preached at or indoctrinated by going to church...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I looked this guy up. He is

I looked this guy up. He is a youth minister at the xxxxxxxxx. He used his high school e-mail account to write to RRS. It took me a total of 10 minutes to find both these out. Knowing that he can't spell worth a rat's ass concerns me, as this guy is probably a teacher. Just something I felt like pointing out.

{Mod Edit:  You're free to do any internet research you like, but without the express consent of the poster, we do not allow the posting of personal information about anyone who posts at RRS.  Please refrain from revealing any personal information about anyone in the future.  Thanks.}

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I like my

Hambydammit wrote:
I like my definition better:

"Peda" is used in words about teaching, like "pedagogy."  Stool, of course, is shit, so pedastool is teaching shit.

Of course, there's another possibility.  "Peda" really means "foot" or "feet."  (Teaching = path to knowledge... walking, etc...)  So, pedastool could be the act of stepping in shit.  I think that's also appropriate to the analogy of getting preached at or indoctrinated by going to church...

Hehe. Perfectly apt. I bow to your superior etymological skills. Laughing out loud

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Wonko

Jeffrick wrote:

Wonko wrote:

Josh Fee said:

Dear Mr. Fee,

it sounds like you've been reading  http://www.rationalresonders.com/forum/14849

WHY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like my granpappy use to say....

If you can't join 'em, confuse the livin' shit outta them.

All in GD fun, of course !

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Josh Fee knows that HE God,

Josh Fee knows that HE God, and pulls out gods HE book  .... 

Hey Josh, your god is my Devil, get behind me Satan .... I must smash your temple ....

Thanks atheist Jesus, yin yang,  with gawed on our side ....

RRS Saves .... stick around Josh, LOL to ya, god is in the mirror .... keep looking !

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Josh

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Josh Fee knows that HE God, and pulls out gods HE book  .... 

Hey Josh, your god is my Devil, get behind me Satan .... I must smash your temple ....Thanks atheist Jesus, yin yang,  with gawed on our side ....

RRS Saves .... stick around Josh, LOL to ya

Shouldn't that be:

Jesus saves, but RRS picks up the rebound in the slot and scores ??? 

Smiley Face Playing Hockey

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
jfee wrote: The Bible

jfee wrote:

The Bible teaches us to question all things through personal research.

No. It does not. It basically it tells you there is God(read Genesis 1:1). It gives no rational reason for belief in God. It just terrorizes people into 'believing' with fear and false promises. It says that atheists are fools that will be tortured for not believing. Show us how you back up this claim.

jfee wrote:

A personal relationship with God was a gift for us

You don't have a personal relationship with God since he does not exist. You just sing songs and pray to a being that never communicates back to you because it does not exist. You just lie to yourself that God communicates to you.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:The

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
The Bible
> teaches us to question all things through personal research.

Where?

umm 1 Thessalonians. 5:21, I think, Hamby.

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
A personal relationship with God was a gift for
> us, but some people use it as a pedastool to infuse their own ideas.

Pedastool... peda is usually associated with teaching (pedagogy, for instance), and stool is shit... does this mean teaching shit?

LOL. I was thinking he was employed some sort of pidgin-latin for footstool (peda=foot; stool=simple seat without a back or arms) and confusing it with the word pedestal, but your interpretation is clearly the most entertaining one.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Prove all things; hold fast

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. - 1 Thess 5:21 KJV

Sounds good to me.  I agree with this verse completely.

Challenge to Creationists:  Read your own damn book, and then go out and pick up a freaking science book, kthx

Books about atheism