Why is it so important to you to destroy other's beliefs? [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is it so important to you to destroy other's beliefs? [YOU RESPOND]

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:56 AM
Subject: [General Question] Atheism

> Donald sent a message using the contact form at
> http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.
>
> Get a life!  Why is it so important to you to destroy other's beliefs?
> What harm is it doing to you?  Live and let live, ignore the extremists,
> they are idiots looking for free press!  Ignore them and they will go away!
> Have a great day!

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
People who come here are

People who come here are doing so under their own freewill. Atheists do not go door to door selling their beliefs or lack thereof if you wish. As a whole, most of us do live and let live, but theists often do not practice the same. If a christian, muslim or whatever has a legitimate freedom issue I would be inclined to support that individual or group in reconciling the issue. I, however, expect the same in return.

The reason so many here are upset with theists stems from inequality in the system. Did you know that in my home state of Illinois a couple had to return an adopted child because the state the child was adopted from/through (Massachusetts) discriminates against atheists adopting children? In several states constitutions' an non-believer cannot legally run for state political office? These are the reasons there are so many"angry atheists".

I agree the extremists are the biggest problem but moderate religionists are just as guilty for failing to reign in the power of the fundies. If the moderate muslims stepped up in the middle-east there might possibly be less violence done in the name of islam.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

>
> Have a great day!

and yet...

You were so concerned that you had to write this?

Practice what you preach, bub.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

>
> Have a great day!

Spoken like a truly ignorant person who is frightened of an intellectual challenge." Is it more important to cling to something because it makes you feel good, or would you be better off knowing if you were wrong?

It is NOT about anyone's rights. It is not about destroying others. It is about challenging people to question their own claims. For the same reason the planet's population does not believe in the myth of Thor or Isis, we pose these questions to popular modern claims. Not to destroy, but to get people to think.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson.

It is NOT about destroying anyone. It is not about taking away others rights. It is about the ability to THINK beyond oneself and one's own whims.

If I am walking down the street with you and you sneeze and end up with a booger on your nose, would you like me to tell you, or let you continue to have it hang off your nose?

If you can understand past "boogers" being bad logic such as Isis and Thor, then you need to be brave and look at your own claims and maybe you will come to the same conclusion we have, that magic is magic and a comic book claim is the same as a myth and just as inventable an idea as any other fiction created by the human mind.

We are not out to destroy anything or anyone. We are out to save people from Santa.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

netjaeger
netjaeger's picture
User is offlineOffline
newbie thoughts

>
> Have a great day!

Good evening, I hope you are well.

This is my first response in this place.  My apologies if I muck up the tools.

Imho it would be neat to be able to destroy Belief, others' or anyones.

Holding Belief as 'holding things true without evidence or in spite of evidence' (trivial usage not particularly considered).

Unfortunately one is limited, one can only point out the lack of reality common to Belief, and the less than cogent aspects of any particular Belief.

The 'what harm' you include about Belief/Religion (noting that you Only include a subset) encompasses hiring in DOJ, Faith-Based Initiatives, anti gay actions, anti women actions, war embracing actions, antipathy to science in education and public policy, embrace of the principle that lying for 'God' is good, embracing the idea that having an invisible buddy is the path for a good and moral life, etc...

I.e. there is no aspect of life that does not include Believer and Religion's intrusion.  Imho, there is a whole lotta harm included.

Live and let live is not a workable scheme right now.  Religion and Believers will not adhere to that idea.  The Religions of our world culture have never bought into it except when forced to.

I can agree that many 'extremists' aim for publicity.  I don't think the evidence supports that publicity is all the extremists, or other Believers, aim for.  In fact, if one reads the words of the leadership of the Believer community, there is minimal disagreement at a basic level about the idea (meme) that 'SAVING' all, or getting on with the Damnation, is a reasonable goal given the premises ofReligion.

'Ignoring them,' is not a viable options.  Believers/Religionists are busy, busy, busy, and their activities affect me and mine.  Appointing judges that look to God's Law as the basis for rights is a scary proposition... They mean Bible-God's Law and it is the hershey squirts of crap.  Trying to incorporate Religion as Law is scary, eg. anti homosexuals, anti women, pro Ruler, anti progressive, etc.

Ok ... Thank you for your thought.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

>
> Have a great day!

Hhhmmmm...

How have we destroyed other's beliefs? Please advise how we could destroy said belief without the person holding the belief SEEKING US OUT! We have quite a bit of information right here for people to read, if they want to -> information is a 2-way street, the person sharing it and the person in quest of it.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow....ignorance at it's best

>
> Have a great day!

Not destroy, change, big difference actually. Harm to me personally, at this moment none, in the past that's a different story, go to South America and tell them your an atheist, doesn't go well in a majority catholic society. As well the harm it has done to humanity as a whole should not be ignored, there was a whole era we call the DARK AGES because of religions abuse of authority and power in society. As for extremists..yeah lets just ignore them....like the CIA did...and they will go away...maybe in a plane into a building....or killing their own followers in mass suicide...yes lets ignore extremists because it makes sense to do so....what a wanker.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Why is it so important

Quote:
Why is it so important to you to destroy other's beliefs?

Because I'm an evil bastard who eats babies, poisons wells and drinks souls already, so I figured, 'Why not? May as well take it all the way.'

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Because I'm an evil

Quote:

Because I'm an evil bastard who eats babies, poisons wells and drinks souls already, so I figured, 'Why not? May as well take it all the way.'

I was going to say "Because it's fun". And it is.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

[email protected] wrote:
What harm is it doing to you?
Anti-abortion laws, restricted cloning research, restricted stem cell research, 'academic freedom' bills to let in creationism - preaching in the public classroom, "blue laws", religious discrimination in the armed forces, states barring atheists from public office...

Yeah, you moderates are so harmless.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

Brian will hate me for this... but... "For the LuLz"

What Would Kharn Do?

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because ignoring the

Because ignoring the religious and letting them do what they want without question has brought the world to the fine state it is in today. Not to mention all of the harm caused by religion in the past.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Why do you do what you do?

OH YEAH??!?!?!

WELLLLL...........................

Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:44 AM
Subject: [General Question] Why do what you do?

Tim K. sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd to dedicate your livlihood to something that you
say you don't believe in.  All you guys do is condemn a woldview you don't
suscribe to.  I understand that these are very important issues that
warrant intelligent and thoughtful discussion, but these are nothing more
than spiteful antics.  Just seems like an angry, desolate and, dare I
say,unproductive way to go through life.