The Unitarian Universalist Church is atheism incognito! I'm Joining!! (Proof Inside)

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
The Unitarian Universalist Church is atheism incognito! I'm Joining!! (Proof Inside)

http://www.uunashua.org/100q/c1.shtml#q9

This was taken from the link above.

Which values do you hold highest?

We regard the highest values to be integrity, caring, compassion, social justice, truth, personal peace and harmony. Advancing these values is a major purpose of our congregations.

Does the UUA have a creed?

No. Although the bylaws of the association do contain a section on purposes and principles, it is not a statement of a religious creed.

Do you subscribe to any doctrines?

We have no specific doctrines to which members are expected to subscribe. However, the bylaws of the UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association) and member churches and societies do contain a Statement of Purpose and Principles (see page 18). These are the basis of a solemn agreement that member churches will support the UUA and that the UUA will support the individual churches.

What do you NOT believe?

We do not believe that any religious precept or doctrine must be accepted as true simply because some religious organization, tradition or authority says it is. Neither do we believe that all UUs should have identical beliefs.

Do some UUs have different beliefs than other UUs?

They certainly do. Since individual freedom of belief is one of our basic principles, it follows that there will be differing beliefs among us. Found in today's churches are humanism, agnosticism, atheism, theism, liberal Christianity, neo-paganism and earth spiritualism. These beliefs are not mutually exclusive--it's possible to hold more than one. While we are bound by a set of common principles, we leave it to the individual to decide what particular beliefs lead to those principles.

Do you believe in God?

We do not have a defined doctrine of God. Members are free to develop individual concepts of God that are meaningful to them. They are also free to reject the term and concept altogether.

Most of us do not believe in a supernatural, supreme being who can directly intervene in and alter human life or the mechanism of the natural world. Many believe in a spirit of life or a power within themselves, which some choose to call God.

Do you believe in a personal God?

A personal God is one with whom someone feels a one-to-one relationship, a deity who cares specifically for that individual and to whom that person can appeal directly. Few UUs would characterize God in such personal terms.

What role does God play in the Church?

In most services, there are few, if any, mentions of a deity. The emphasis is on issues of human growth, human potential and personal human issues that we all face in day-to-day living. There is also an emphasis on social, moral and ethical issues that confront us. Although subjects are presented from the religious perspective of the minister or the speaker, it is never assumed that all present have a common belief in God.

God means different things to different UUs. To some, the term has little or no meaning. Whatever the case may be, we offer an accepting congregation where each person can discover what gives life meaning, purpose and direction.

Do you believe in the existence of spiritual beings?

Not in the sense of something that is disembodied. Most agree that there is a spiritual dimension to life that is connected to the physical, mental, emotional, and psychological aspects of life.

Do you believe in miracles?

We do not believe in miracles in any supernatural way since our ideas of God generally do not include a deity who has the ability to alter the workings of the natural world. Most UUs feel that the gift of life itself is sufficient miracle, and that we should live as fully, joyfully and responsibly as we can.

Do you believe in Jesus?

We do not believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin, performed miracles and was resurrected from death. We do admire and respect the way he lived, the power of his love, the force of his example and his system of values.

Most UUs regard Jesus as one of several important moral and ethical teachers who have shown humans how to live a life of love, service and compassion. Though some of us may question whether Jesus was an actual historical figure, we believe his teachings are of significant moral value.

How do you regard the Bible?

We regard the Bible as one of many important religious texts but do not consider it unique or exclusive in any way. We do not interpret it literally. We think some parts of it offer more truth and relevance than other parts. Although UUs respect the Bible and regard some of its content as great literature, it is not a central document in our religion.

Do you believe in life after death?

Very few UUs believe in a continuing, individualized existence after physical death. Even fewer believe in the physical existence of places called heaven or hell where one goes after dying. We believe immortality manifests itself in the lives of those we affect during our lifetime and in the legacy we leave when we die.

Do you believe in the concept of evolution?

Yes. We believe that more complex life forms have evolved from less complex life forms.

What are the bonds that unify UUs?

While there are no written or verbal doctrines designed for that purpose, we have both stated and unstated bonds which unify us. The stated bonds are the Principles and Purposes of the UUA which we support individually and collectively.

Among the unstated bonds are our mutual respect for each other and our appreciation of the many religious, philosophical and spiritual paths which our members pursue. We are bound together in our mutual concern for one another's well being, and our willingness to aid each other in time of need.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
EDIT: Just called them, they

EDIT: Just called them, they say "Atheists and Agnostics are allowed and welcome... We actually have quite a few!" I think I'll go there to fullfill my community/friend needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezp1W2HKlU

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, it's definitely the

Yeah, it's definitely the closest church there is to atheism.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
I think we should really

I think we should really embrace this, seriously.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
uggh

uggh Sad

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Uggh?? Whats wrong?

Uggh?? Whats wrong? This is secualr humanism? am I wrong?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been to meetings.  Not

I've been to meetings.  Not going again, thanks.  I don't have that big a desire for pot luck suppers, and it's just not that interesting to listen to sermons about how I should be independent and unique.  Duh... I'm sitting here in church with everyone else being unique, and not really accomplishing anything.  I could be writing...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Disclaimer:  Anyone who

Disclaimer:  Anyone who really likes church should go to UU meetings.  If everyone in the world was UU, there would be a lot less violence... that's for sure.  It's just an excuse for people disillusioned with religion to still have religion, and it's not for me.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Are you alone a lot?

Are you alone a lot?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope 

Nope

Books about atheism

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Nope  I

Hambydammit wrote:

Nope

I am, want to come over.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
I feel atheism lacks

I feel atheism lacks community which I think can be seen as very important in life.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh... Sometimes I have too

Heh... Sometimes I have too many people around me.  I'm a proactive networking kind of person.  I've always been able to sit down with a table full of strangers and have a decent time.  Loneliness was never a motivation for me to go to church when I was a Christian, and once I became an atheist, if anything, it was a nice way to remove one social obligation from my already full calendar.  (It's ironic that the only alone time I get is spent doing RRS stuff, which is still interacting with people.)

I don't know where you live, but it's been my observation that most people want to do stuff with other people, and if you give them a good chance to do it, they will.  It's amazing what hosting a party will do for your social life.  If you want to get involved with an atheist cause, you may have to go farther afield to do it, as many places simply don't have any atheist groups.  Hell, I live in a relatively progressive (for the south) college town, and there aren't any atheist groups that do anything constructive.

Books about atheism

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Heh...

Hambydammit wrote:

Heh... Sometimes I have too many people around me.  I'm a proactive networking kind of person.  I've always been able to sit down with a table full of strangers and have a decent time.  Loneliness was never a motivation for me to go to church when I was a Christian, and once I became an atheist, if anything, it was a nice way to remove one social obligation from my already full calendar.  (It's ironic that the only alone time I get is spent doing RRS stuff, which is still interacting with people.)

I don't know where you live, but it's been my observation that most people want to do stuff with other people, and if you give them a good chance to do it, they will.  It's amazing what hosting a party will do for your social life.  If you want to get involved with an atheist cause, you may have to go farther afield to do it, as many places simply don't have any atheist groups.  Hell, I live in a relatively progressive (for the south) college town, and there aren't any atheist groups that do anything constructive.

I guess I'm not as lonely as I let on to be, I almost always do something on the weekend and I go out with the people from the office (past weekend we saw The Dark Knight and dinner) but I feel impeded when I can't talk about religion without someone getting upset. A few months ago a guy from the office (not really a friend) kept repeating "But you're going to hell! Don't you understand!? Its hell!" and called me 4 saturday nights in a row to go to church on Sunday.

I helped my friend host a party once, he was robbed and someone pooped in the tank of the toilet. Granted we were 22, I'm 27 now.

How about some party hosting tips.. I'm basically clueless except for vids from VideoJug.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge wrote:I

UlyssesBreckenridge wrote:

I feel atheism lacks community which I think can be seen as very important in life.

If you need the UU fine, go... but don't get too attached to your 'atheism incognito' statement.  It's not like you're getting an atheist community there, necessarily.  Plenty of people that attend UU are theists, you know - it's just a gathering of people with all beliefs or lack thereof.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get your guests involved

Get your guests involved with something.  Food is the easiest.  Consider a fajita party, or maybe a dumplin party.  You know, everyone brings something to put in a fajita, and it all goes out on the table, and people can make whatever they want.  Dumplins are easy.... just fold a wonton skin around any old thing and put it in a steamer for 10 minutes.

You could also do a specialty drink party... like a Make-Your-Own-Bloody-Mary party, or something like that.

Flow is really important.  Try to set up things in each area of your space so that people are encouraged to move from one area to the next.  The last thing you want is four people in each room having their own private meeting.

Don't put enough chairs for everybody.  You want people to be forced to stand.  It encourages movement.  Also, people who are sitting will feel guilty after a while, and will move, increasing the mingling.  [EDIT:  Oh, and if there are more people than chairs, it looks like a smashing success, no matter how many people there are!]

Music is really important.  Make a good mix of music -- eclectic, but not too far in any direction.  Don't try to make it about "your music."  Make it about music everyone will enjoy, including you.

Ok... really important if you don't want to spend your ass off.  First, have everyone bring something.  Alcohol, food, soft drinks... something.  Second, go to Kmart and get a ton of 10 oz plastic cups, and don't put out anything bigger.  You can do shots in those (just pour to the first ridge), but they're small enough that people won't be sloshed an hour into the party.  They can drink as much as they want... they just have to go to some trouble to do it.

Finally, if you're not the "life of the party" type, invite one or two people who are.  Think about personalities when you make your guest list.  If you can't keep the party going, invite someone who can.  Also, don't invite just people from one group.  Mix cliques, within reason.

[EDIT:  One more thing... really important... Have a big poster right by the front door with the name and number of a taxi company.  Encourage your friends not to drink and drive.  Have at least a couple of places ready for sleep in case someone passes out, if possible.  Make it easy for people to be responsible.]

Books about atheism

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
idk about that crapping in

idk about that crapping in the tank of the toilet thing... seems quite a feat.  however, don't keep your cat's liter box in the bathroom.  men will be tempted to urinate in it.  i'm 29 and it still happens here on occasion.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

It sounds like a collection of Capt---------pineapples.  People who can't make up their own minds and show little if any interest in doing so.  Theists  are easier to deal with at least they made up their minds.  Going to any church because I do not believe in a god sounds   NUTS.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's pretty clear from their

It's pretty clear from their little manifesto that they're happy with neo-paganism and earth worship.  No more or no less ridiculous than the Virgin Birth or the Resurrection.  They might claim to be weaned, but they're still hooked to the tit.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just some more info before

Just some more info before you join...

In a survey, Unitarian Universalists in the United States were asked which provided term or set of terms best describe their belief. Many respondents chose more than one term to describe their beliefs. The top choices were:

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
It all sounds well and good.

It all sounds well and good. I certainly wouldn't discourage people from attending such a group. They might want to change the name though because it does sound like the kind of name a wacko sect might have. That said this sort of thing really isn't for me. I used to be an occasional churchgoer even years after going atheist. The vicar at our local church is a bit of an agnostic really, and preaches community and love rather than the whole Jesus shit. But I still didn't really enjoy it. I don't need it, most of the people were a bit dull. I have my friends, and family and neighbours and there's a good community round here anyway. I guess too that I don't really feel in great need of an atheist community either, although, that said, most of my friends are in fact atheists. We have a couple of Christians, but we don't mind because they're fairly liberal and most likely don't actually believe it.

I think on top of that the RRS is a fairly big online atheist community, and does serve many of the things that atheists need, especially atheists who are new to it or who've had a brutally religious upbringing.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only one I ever met kept

The only one I ever met kept explaining to me that she wasn't actually a Moonie.

I'm with Sam Harris on the label thing regarding atheists (though I break it here for good reason occasionally). But essentially, anyone who feels a need to be identified as a member of anything which comes with a ready-made community tag is lacking something in themselves in my view.

The manifesto in any case reminds me of "The Life Of Brian" and Stan's insistence that he now be recognised as Loretta. Or more correctly it reminds me of Reg's response.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Get your guests

Quote:

Get your guests involved with something.  Food is the easiest.  Consider a fajita party, or maybe a dumplin party.  You know, everyone brings something to put in a fajita, and it all goes out on the table, and people can make whatever they want.  Dumplins are easy.... just fold a wonton skin around any old thing and put it in a steamer for 10 minutes.

You could also do a specialty drink party... like a Make-Your-Own-Bloody-Mary party, or something like that.

Flow is really important.  Try to set up things in each area of your space so that people are encouraged to move from one area to the next.  The last thing you want is four people in each room having their own private meeting.

Don't put enough chairs for everybody.  You want people to be forced to stand.  It encourages movement.  Also, people who are sitting will feel guilty after a while, and will move, increasing the mingling.  [EDIT:  Oh, and if there are more people than chairs, it looks like a smashing success, no matter how many people there are!]

Music is really important.  Make a good mix of music -- eclectic, but not too far in any direction.  Don't try to make it about "your music."  Make it about music everyone will enjoy, including you.

Ok... really important if you don't want to spend your ass off.  First, have everyone bring something.  Alcohol, food, soft drinks... something.  Second, go to Kmart and get a ton of 10 oz plastic cups, and don't put out anything bigger.  You can do shots in those (just pour to the first ridge), but they're small enough that people won't be sloshed an hour into the party.  They can drink as much as they want... they just have to go to some trouble to do it.

Finally, if you're not the "life of the party" type, invite one or two people who are.  Think about personalities when you make your guest list.  If you can't keep the party going, invite someone who can.  Also, don't invite just people from one group.  Mix cliques, within reason.

[EDIT:  One more thing... really important... Have a big poster right by the front door with the name and number of a taxi company.  Encourage your friends not to drink and drive.  Have at least a couple of places ready for sleep in case someone passes out, if possible.  Make it easy for people to be responsible.]

The problem I've noticed with parties:

You invite a group of friends. Some of those friends bring along their boyfriends and/or girlfriends, whom you don't really know that well, but you can't really deny entrance.

These people bring cellphones.

Everyone starts having a good time, so naturally, they (the people you don't know too well) use said cellphone to call / text their friends (whom you don't know at all) to say what a good time they're having. These people then start showing-up. As when they see what a big thing the party is, they call their friends... and suddenly you have an exponential population explosion.

Then two people show-up that don't like each other. Then a fight starts. Then one person's buddy backs-up his buddy, and the girlfriends back-up their boyfriends...

And before you even know what's happened, the party has turned into something of a riot. Sticking out tongue

(...In fairness, perhaps this isn't as likely to happen within older age brackets. Sticking out tongue Have you found a way to deal with this sort of thing effectively, Hamby?)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess the older you get

The parties my friends and I throw don't turn to riots....then again I never had a party that turned into a riot....a few orgies sure...but riots and fights naw. Everybody that does come usually brings one other person, however if they are going to bring more people they usually ask in advance. But fights...yeah no, no fights....then again it could be because everyone knows I will bring a baseball bat or a machete to break up any fights...and I don't care who started it, both are going to the hopital....unless it's chicks then I'll stop the fight after the shirts come off Sticking out tongue

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(...In fairness,

Quote:
(...In fairness, perhaps this isn't as likely to happen within older age brackets. Sticking out tongue Have you found a way to deal with this sort of thing effectively, Hamby?)

Yep.  Several things you can do.

1) Grow older.  (You're right.  It definitely is a lot less likely to happen in older age brackets.)

2) Make it an RSVP party only.  Invite who you want, and tell them they can bring one guest.  You still might get some crashers, but most people will respect RSVP.  Option number three makes this approach even better...

3) Bribe the prettiest girl you can into being your door-girl.  Remember the part about bringing something to the party?  Have her stay near the front door, and when anyone tries to come in, have her go up to them to collect whatever they brought.  If they don't have anything, she can very sweetly say, "Oh, I'm sorry, hun... this is an Invite-Only party.  Do you have an invitation?"  (It doesn't matter if you sent out invitations or not.  If you didn't send them out, people you didn't invite wouldn't know it!)  The reason you get a pretty girl to do it is that very few people will confront her.  Guys don't get their rocks off by starting fights with tiny good looking women.

Books about atheism

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:I'm with Sam

Nordmann wrote:

I'm with Sam Harris on the label thing regarding atheists (though I break it here for good reason occasionally). But essentially, anyone who feels a need to be identified as a member of anything which comes with a ready-made community tag is lacking something in themselves in my view. 

So wanting to be in a group means you lack something in yourself? But being a loner that needs no one means you're the coolest?

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Get your

Hambydammit wrote:

Thats great advice.  I'm saving this for later. Thank you very much!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Disclaimer:  Anyone who really likes church should go to UU meetings.  If everyone in the world was UU, there would be a lot less violence... that's for sure.  It's just an excuse for people disillusioned with religion to still have religion, and it's not for me.

If there ever became a UU who bombed an abortion clinic or slammed a plane into a building, then we are all truely fucked. At best some can be too PC for me, having attended UU churches myself, and loving the open attitude, I cant ever see a day when a UU church, even when I dissagree with the PC nature of some members, of ever having an equivilent to Al Quida or Jerry Falwell.

Yea Hambi, it is true that religion in not for you. But we also as individuals and as a species cant issolate ourselves from the world arround us. Hanging out with people you don't agree with and liking them does not mean you agree with what they believe. It just means that we are all human, and that we wont always agree.

Even without a physical building or label, both you and I, even without the subject of religion, quite often in life, will run into people whom we like, but on any given issue, may dissagree or even find absurd.

I am a Redskin fan. I am quite sure that I have a unique perspective as to the makeup and future of the team, than say others. I am quite sure that some fans are Baptist, others Catholic and still others rich and others who barely scrape up enough money to see one live game.

The metaphore I am making is that skepticism doesn't have to mean seperatitism. That is the tatic of a club mentality. We are not wrong in rejecting magical claims. But, we can be just as inhuman in drawing lines in the sand when people dont conform to what we think they should.

I want to see the end of comic book super hero in the sky worship as much as you. But I also realize that I am only one of 6 billion people on this planet, and even those who believe in absurd things do not have to be my enemy whom I seperate from.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge wrote:So

So wanting to be in a group means you lack something in yourself? But being a loner that needs no one means you're the coolest?

Just because you don't feel the need for the church like community of UU doesn't make you a loner.  I don't feel like 'community' has been missing from my life since I abandoned my irrational religious beliefs.  I have awesome friends and I consider myself a very social person, personally.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm going to point out that

I'm going to point out that in my opening thread I admitted an interest in the UUA. Tonight, in reaction to yesterday's shooting, I went to a vigil in Second Life, and I can confirm that what Hamby said is right. While I respect their right to congregate and such, I can't agree with the whole love your neighbor and feel good about yourself philosophy they have. Simply put, that is a dangerous thing in the world these days. It ignores the fact there is evil, and that humankind does evil things. If joining the UUA makes you feel good and warm and fuzzy and happy, by all means go for it. I for one would rather stay vigilant so what happened yesterday isn't as likely to happen to me and mine.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Is there an atheist gun club

Is there an atheist gun club anywhere? Joining that would be safe - I mean who'd be dumb enough to try to go into a gun club to shoot people?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Is there

MattShizzle wrote:

Is there an atheist gun club anywhere? Joining that would be safe - I mean who'd be dumb enough to try to go into a gun club to shoot people?

I'd have to ask Mike Malloy on that one. I'm sure he knows of a bunch, and if not, his wife Kathy would for sure.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:

Great idea.  That's why we need to have an RRS meeting down south in the non-descript college town where Hamby and I live.  We could rent ourselves a range for a day (weather's basically good all year round), have a pistol or rifle match, maybe get some news coverage and some respect from the local hunters and target shooters.  Most of them are only nominally religious in my experience, and prefer to spend their Sundays waiting for some lumbering beast to cross their path in the forest.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:

Am I being overly paranoid to point out at some irrational mental patient could claim to be an atheist just to obtain the location where s/he can kill a bunch of atheists for god?  I mean that's got to be more effective than hunting them(us) down one by one... right?

(Dude, my spayed female cat just sprayed me.  Sad  )

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Except as soon as he would

Except as soon as he would start shooting atheists there would be a dozen or so atheists shooting him. Your cat is bad.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:I'm going to

Kay Cat wrote:

I'm going to point out that in my opening thread I admitted an interest in the UUA. Tonight, in reaction to yesterday's shooting, I went to a vigil in Second Life, and I can confirm that what Hamby said is right. While I respect their right to congregate and such, I can't agree with the whole love your neighbor and feel good about yourself philosophy they have. Simply put, that is a dangerous thing in the world these days. It ignores the fact there is evil, and that humankind does evil things. If joining the UUA makes you feel good and warm and fuzzy and happy, by all means go for it. I for one would rather stay vigilant so what happened yesterday isn't as likely to happen to me and mine.

Shooting? Who / Where / When?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loner? Bad? By definition?

Loner? Bad? By definition? Since when?

If "loner" means purposeully avoiding indoctrination and taking responsibility oneself for generating (and spreading) warm fuzzy feelings can it not be a good thing?

Bah, humbug!

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Kay Cat

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Kay Cat wrote:

Shooting? Who / Where / When?

yes,  rightwing guy in his 50's against a UUA church/Knoxville, Tennessee/ yesterday afternoon

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Facepalms* ...Just read

*Facepalms*

...Just read the article on CNEWS. Dude went beserk because he ran out of food stamps and was unable to find employment.

The things that our illusions lead us to do, eh?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Just because you don't feel the need for the church like community of UU doesn't make you a loner.  I don't feel like 'community' has been missing from my life since I abandoned my irrational religious beliefs.  I have awesome friends and I consider myself a very social person, personally.

1. I didn't say not wanting to be in a community makes you a loner, I said a loner is a person that needs (should have also said wants) no one.

2. I guess what I'm saying is there are many shades of grey when it comes to group interaction, why say one shade means you are missing something in yourself and another shade is fine. There are also many atheist organizations people claim to be in the RRS for example or the AAI or American Atheists.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
ALSO!!! I have found that

ALSO!!! I have found that being in or around an indoctrinated group has benefits. I went to a church for 2 years knowing damn well I didn't really believe in the supernatural. This church had a gym, coffee bar and if you had a membership card you could get discounts between 15-35% at almost 100 stores. I was given a great job by a man that worked there, I met a lot of great people that still talk to me. I think there are more agnostics in churches then people think but they don't speak up because they need/want the group. There is a verse in the bible about how people will believe in jesus until the bread runs out, I think that describes most churches today. I.E. Joel Osteen has lots of bread, Fred Phelps has no bread.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Loner? Bad?

Nordmann wrote:

Loner? Bad? By definition? Since when?

If "loner" means purposeully avoiding indoctrination and taking responsibility oneself for generating (and spreading) warm fuzzy feelings can it not be a good thing?

Bah, humbug!

If loner means purposefully avoiding social interaction then he can spread nothing. And if this loner spreads things though social interaction he is not a loner.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, so your loner is someone

Ah, so your loner is someone who avoids all people, not just membership of organisations?

Then, according to your own definition, you are right. Though it wasn't necessarily what we were talking about.

Heigh Ho, Silver!

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge wrote:2.

2. I guess what I'm saying is there are many shades of grey when it comes to group interaction, why say one shade means you are missing something in yourself and another shade is fine. There are also many atheist organizations people claim to be in the RRS for example or the AAI or American Atheists.

Yes, but you're overlooking the fact that UU is not an atheist organization.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kay Cat wrote:MattShizzle

Kay Cat wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

I'd have to ask Mike Malloy on that one. I'm sure he knows of a bunch, and if not, his wife Kathy would for sure.

Hey, another Malloy listener! woo hoo!

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Ah, so your

Nordmann wrote:

Ah, so your loner is someone who avoids all people, not just membership of organisations?

Then, according to your own definition, you are right. Though it wasn't necessarily what we were talking about.

Heigh Ho, Silver!

Then what are we talking about?

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Yes, but you're overlooking the fact that UU is not an atheist organization.

So atheist organization good, non-atheist organization bad?

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge

Nordmann wrote:

Heigh Ho, Silver!

Merriam-Webster, the rest of the world and my definition. PWNAGE

Main Entry:
lon·er Listen to the pronunciation of loner
Pronunciation:
\ˈlō-nər\
Function:
noun
Date:
: one that avoids others; especially :

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge

Nordmann wrote:

Heigh Ho, Silver!

Merriam-Webster, the rest of the world and my definition. PWNAGE

Main Entry:
lon·er Listen to the pronunciation of loner
Pronunciation:
\ˈlō-nər\
Function:
noun
Date:

: one that avoids others; especially :

sheesh... U.B. you just pwned yourself.

UlyssesBreckenridge
User is offlineOffline
I know I'm just throwing a

I know I'm just throwing a fit.

And call me Uly.

You live in Texas right cat?

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
UlyssesBreckenridge wrote:I

I know I'm just throwing a fit.

And call me Uly.

You live in Texas right cat?

what relevance does that have to this thread? Also, why can't you bother to read my other posts instead of repeatedly asking me?  That last point alone makes me assume you're intellectually lazy.