Michael Savage is an Asshat

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

I'm sure most of you have seen his idiotic comments about autism by now -if not look here . If you don't know, he's one of these extreme right wing pundits we have way too many of here in the US. Where's his degree in psychology? He has also written books on homeopathy.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Michael Savage is an

Quote:

Of the highest order.

Hereafter, he should be referred to by his real name which isn't Savage...it's Weiner.  Dumbshit, didn't like being a weiner apparently.

But you can't run from your past.  You're a weiner.  A Michael Weiner ! 

Embrace your weiner, Michael...if you can find it !

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Apparently a lot of big name

Apparently a lot of big name advertisers had dumped him for his comments long before this. Obviously he has no clue about actual autism or ASD's.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Savage. Big

I agree with Savage. Big pharm and parents who don't discipline their kids I'm sure created a good chunk of this problem 99% ? of course not. Everyone needs some kind of excuse to let their little brats scream in the middle of kmart.

nikimoto
nikimoto's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe

I think Savage and anyone who even remotely agrees with him may

be confusing ADHD and Autism here.

No kind of "discipline" has any effect on Autism at any age

and 5 minutes of research could clear up the question of whether anyone would

fake being Autistic for their entire life, since it is incurable...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's part of that idiotic

It's part of that idiotic belief that psychology and psychiatry are just made up. Maybe he should stop being a Christian and go join the Church of Scientology.

Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:It's part

MattShizzle wrote:

It's part of that idiotic belief that psychology and psychiatry are just made up. Maybe he should stop being a Christian and go join the Church of Scientology.

Lol, got a question, Who's more intellectually bankrupt, a christian or a scientologist.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mr804 wrote:I agree with

mr804 wrote:

I agree with Savage. Big pharm and parents who don't discipline their kids I'm sure created a good chunk of this problem 99% ? of course not. Everyone needs some kind of excuse to let their little brats scream in the middle of kmart.

So you're saying you have no experience with autism whatsoever, is that it?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Death Dragoon

Death Dragoon wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Lol, got a question, Who's more intellectually bankrupt, a christian or a scientologist.

that's easy, the scientologist. we all know how repressives make good mothers (Nicole Kidman) and their ex husbands would try to repeal even the laws of gravity (Tom Cruise and his episode on Oprah)

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
... still waiting on Matt's

... still waiting on Matt's "Big Book of Asshats"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I wonder how many pages it would have to be. Guess it depends do I just list them or have a page per "asshat." Guess it would help to only have famous ones in. Basically every televangelist, apologist and conservative talk radio host would make the book.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:The Doomed

MattShizzle wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

I wonder how many pages it would have to be. Guess it depends do I just list them or have a page per "asshat." Guess it would help to only have famous ones in. Basically every televangelist, apologist and conservative talk radio host would make the book.

if it were a book I'm sure it would surpass in size Miguel Cervantes' Don Quixote

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
autism

This makes me sick. I have dear friends who have an autistic daughter. They have sacrificed their lives and their marriage to raise this child. Never a day off. She is just turning 17 and is getting extremely aggressive. 

I read Temple Grandon's book a few years ago. Have you read her book Matt? Who the heck is Michael Savage and why is anyone listening to him?

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:This makes

entomophila wrote:

This makes me sick. I have dear friends who have an autistic daughter. They have sacrificed their lives and their marriage to raise this child. Never a day off. She is just turning 17 and is getting extremely aggressive. 

I read Temple Grandon's book a few years ago. Have you read her book Matt? Who the heck is Michael Savage and why is anyone listening to him?

Michael Wiener is a New York based theist radio show host who claims he's a Jew and spews radical right wing garbage. He's attacked Media Matters recently for reporting on his distortions and outright lies, if that serves as an indicator of his attitude and mentality.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
"waaah, my kid's an asshat"

turning 17 and becoming "aggressive"??? 

ok, let's start from the start, where we know that everything is being overdiagnosed in our day and age, from ADHD to heart disease to autism to melanoma and diabetes.

to keep on topic, let's stick with the "conditions" that are potentially fake, of course i speak of ADHD and autism, and i say 'potentially fake' because these are relatively new disorders that have been pounced upon by the medical community as causing a deficient quality in reported patients.  frankly, i see the opposite.

in the mid 90's, we were just starting to hear about ADD, and it has since become this nebulous volcano of shit that we now call ADHD,  and the shortcomings of children and now, even, adults, are readily wiped away with a simple diagnosis.  well, who's to say that "ADHD" isn't the latest evolution of the human brain, and that all we without it are the deficient ones?  could it not be a development brought on by the rapidly flashing sound bites and image blurbs of late 20th century media?  something that no other organism has ever experienced for any extended period of time?  where is the research on that?

the same goes for autism.  for all observations, these people are purely introspective, asail in a fog of imagination, as opposed to our constant interaction with reality.  put simply, autistics appear to be permanent residents of INTERZONE, and exhibit violent reactions to the prompts of reality-dwellers to live here, in the so-called 4th dimension.  but where is the research on that?

everyone is faaaaar too concerned about what's wrong with who, and who's being insulted about what.  WHAT'S RIGHT??? we can't apply new conditions to an old model, that just assumes that the state of human biology is a constant, AND IT'S FUCKING NOT!!!!!!! hello??

so your stupid outrage at a person whose freedom to say whatever dumbass thing he wants is fervently protected by the constitution of a country that you see fit to SPIT on is not only ridiculously out of line, but it's contrary to common sense as well.  as usual, Matt.

turning 17 and becoming aggressive?  if i were being repeatedly dosed with acid while trying to go about my everyday life here, i would be pretty aggressive also.

evolution is still happening, you retards.

Fear is the mindkiller.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:This makes

entomophila wrote:

I haven't. I myself have Aspreger Syndrome and read several books on it - a great one for kids is "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome." Michael Savage is a total asshat and pretty much the male version of Anne Coulter. Unfortunately in this country such idiocy is popular - look at the popularity of the Coulter bitch, Rush Limbaugh and other fucktards - including certain preachers.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
DrFear wrote:turning 17 and

DrFear wrote:

turning 17 and becoming "aggressive"??? 

ok, let's start from the start, where we know that everything is being overdiagnosed in our day and age, from ADHD to heart disease to autism to melanoma and diabetes.

to keep on topic, let's stick with the "conditions" that are potentially fake, of course i speak of ADHD and autism, and i say 'potentially fake' because these are relatively new disorders that have been pounced upon by the medical community as causing a deficient quality in reported patients.  frankly, i see the opposite.

in the mid 90's, we were just starting to hear about ADD, and it has since become this nebulous volcano of shit that we now call ADHD,  and the shortcomings of children and now, even, adults, are readily wiped away with a simple diagnosis.  well, who's to say that "ADHD" isn't the latest evolution of the human brain, and that all we without it are the deficient ones?  could it not be a development brought on by the rapidly flashing sound bites and image blurbs of late 20th century media?  something that no other organism has ever experienced for any extended period of time?  where is the research on that?

the same goes for autism.  for all observations, these people are purely introspective, asail in a fog of imagination, as opposed to our constant interaction with reality.  put simply, autistics appear to be permanent residents of INTERZONE, and exhibit violent reactions to the prompts of reality-dwellers to live here, in the so-called 4th dimension.  but where is the research on that?

everyone is faaaaar too concerned about what's wrong with who, and who's being insulted about what.  WHAT'S RIGHT??? we can't apply new conditions to an old model, that just assumes that the state of human biology is a constant, AND IT'S FUCKING NOT!!!!!!! hello??

so your stupid outrage at a person whose freedom to say whatever dumbass thing he wants is fervently protected by the constitution of a country that you see fit to SPIT on is not only ridiculously out of line, but it's contrary to common sense as well.  as usual, Matt.

turning 17 and becoming aggressive?  if i were being repeatedly dosed with acid while trying to go about my everyday life here, i would be pretty aggressive also.

evolution is still happening, you retards.

This is bullshit asshat.  By the way, I knew people who were on meds for ADD in the mid 1980's in school. Where is your medical degree and degree in psychology that you can say these things are overdiagnosed? Melanoma and diabetes? Are you insane?

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
heh...assburger

Quote:
This is bullshit asshat.

oh, do elaborate, loser oompah-loompah commie layabout douchebag....

Quote:
By the way, I knew people who were on meds for ADD in the mid 1980's in school.

*clap clap* good for you. so what. i'm talking about it grasping the 'national consciousness' here, champ

Quote:
Where is your medical degree and degree in psychology that you can say these things are overdiagnosed?

it's up your fuckin' ass.  way to appeal to authority, dunce.

one need only to look at the trends and methods of diagnosis to see how the statistics are skewed.  you believe everything you read? how's that new harry potter?

Fear is the mindkiller.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
aggression

Yes Dr. Fear, she is getting more and more aggressive as she gets older. She may have always been aggressive, but my friend is mentioning it more now.  And she (the daughter) is a big girl, despite attempts to keep her appetite in check and the food locked up. She can be dangerous when she gets mad which isn't that often, but still, not a good situation. My friend is afraid of her own child now.

And my friends are anal about what they keep in the house and pay attention to everything she eats, smells, touches and even the chemical cleaners (etc.) they buy. The house was rebuilt for this child, who was diagnosed when she was 2 or 3. 

She goes to special schools in Massachusetts, good ones.  You can ask her what day Sept. 4th was in 1987 and she will tell you what day it was. She also had a hissy fit when the satellite dish failed last summer (2007). A tree branch had grown and blocked the signal. This was enough to set off a fit that resulted in damaged furniture.

As I said, my friends (the parents) are educated (they both have degrees from the University of Massachusetts). They have done a ton of research about autism and spend a lot of time in the communities for parents with autistic children. They don't assume that anything is set in stone when it comes to autism.

Although their kid usually doesn't like to be touched, every once in a while she'll give me a hug, which means a lot to me because I know this isn't easy for her to give.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
In fairness, there is zero

In fairness, there is zero objective criteria to use to diagnose ADHD. Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be caused by some physiological condition.

DeludedGod, I don't suppose you're reading this? What's your expert opinion here?

...Autism is another story. It has physiological basis, and is understood as an actual disorder as such (as I understand it, it's a complex genetic disorder). Savage is clearly just not learned in the subject he's so desperate to discuss).

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
DrFear wrote:it's up your

DrFear wrote:

it's up your fuckin' ass.  way to appeal to authority, dunce.

one need only to look at the trends and methods of diagnosis to see how the statistics are skewed.  you believe everything you read? how's that new harry potter?

Dillhole, it isn't a fallacious appeal to authority to expect that those who studied an actual subject to know more about it than some Joe Schmoe who doesn't know it at all. If you get sick or injured wouldn't you rather go to the ER or your doctor than just walk up to some guy on the street for help? If you want an answer in Physics or Chemistry you go to someone with a degree in said subject than a random person. If your car breaks down do you take it to a mechanic or just go to a random guy on the street and say "yo, fix my car for me." Do you have a clue what you are talking about? Apparently not.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
stop freaking out, get in the basket!

no, as usual, you don't have a clue what i'm talking about.  i'm not claiming to know how to fix anything.  what i am saying is that there is a ridiculous frenzy to "cure" a so-called "problem" that hasn't been fully explored.  abnormality doesn't automatically constitute an unfavorable condition.

Fear is the mindkiller.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:In

Kevin R Brown wrote:

In fairness, there is zero objective criteria to use to diagnose ADHD. Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be caused by some physiological condition.

DeludedGod, I don't suppose you're reading this? What's your expert opinion here?

...Autism is another story. It has physiological basis, and is understood as an actual disorder as such (as I understand it, it's a complex genetic disorder). Savage is clearly just not learned in the subject he's so desperate to discuss).

So the fact that they have brains scans that show a difference in adhd patients brains and normal patients doesn't appear to be caused by some physiological condition?   Such as here http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/39/1/26.

Here is a nice article by a neurologist (Steven novilla if anyone knows him) defending its existence  http://www.theness.com/articles.asp?id=35

To quote from the article

Quote:
There is a diagnosis commonly made by physicians which is based entirely on the subjective symptoms reported by the patient. There is no method to objectively quantify the severity of these symptoms, or even to document their presence, and physicians must rely upon the patient’s subjective interpretation of their own symptoms. Although the disorder is felt to be a brain disease, there is no test which can demonstrate any brain abnormality. MRI scans reveal normal anatomy, EEG’s reveal normal electrical activity, blood tests are all normal, and even pathological investigation reveals no difference between the brains of alleged suffers and non-sufferers. There have been a few studies showing tantalizing biological differences between sufferers and non-sufferers, but the significance is unclear and the differences are purely statistical and not useful for diagnosis.

What does this sound like???  

Its in fact migrane headaches

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
DrFear wrote:no, as usual,

DrFear wrote:

no, as usual, you don't have a clue what i'm talking about.  i'm not claiming to know how to fix anything.  what i am saying is that there is a ridiculous frenzy to "cure" a so-called "problem" that hasn't been fully explored.  abnormality doesn't automatically constitute an unfavorable condition.

part of the definition of getting a diagnosis in adhd is "significant impairment" which means that the person needs to get help because they are impaired and also another critera is that the impairment must be in more then one setting for instance in the home and at school.

Also this impariment can be and "objective" meaning that you can see that the person is doing worse then they could and then by checking to see if the meds help then one can  conclude that it therefore is a problem even when the child (or adult for that matter) doesn't see it as an impariment

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
i agree completely,

i agree completely, buuuuut...

when i was in first grade, teachers noticed i was distracted, misbehaving, hyperactive, and my performance was slipping as a result.  their recommended solution was that i either be moved ahead a grade, or placed in an "enrichment" program, which provided a more advanced teaching and problem solving excercise alongside my "normal" education.  my parents opted for the enrichment program, and i graduated high school with a 4.3 gpa, a 1470 on the SAT, and a free ride to Montclair State (which is nothing to really scream about).  regardless, under todays criteria, i certainly could have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, whatever, instead, drugged out of my mind, and drudged through the next 12 years of my life with the rest of the bovine swarm.

soo, should we continue sedating potentially more advanced learners so they conform with the majority, orrrrrrr, should we perhaps investigate the possibility that a faster CPU is appearing on the market, and develop innovative, rapid-fire learning programs to accomodate them? 

this is my point, or my question, or whatever.  since you folks need everything spelled out for you.

Fear is the mindkiller.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There are no meds for

There are no meds for autism/aspergers. I was in advanced classes and in special ed (behavioral) at the same time in elementary school. I wish they had understood Aspergers at the time.

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
i am aware of that.

i am aware of that.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
DrFear wrote:i agree

DrFear wrote:

i agree completely, buuuuut...

when i was in first grade, teachers noticed i was distracted, misbehaving, hyperactive, and my performance was slipping as a result.  their recommended solution was that i either be moved ahead a grade, or placed in an "enrichment" program, which provided a more advanced teaching and problem solving excercise alongside my "normal" education.  my parents opted for the enrichment program, and i graduated high school with a 4.3 gpa, a 1470 on the SAT, and a free ride to Montclair State (which is nothing to really scream about).  regardless, under todays criteria, i certainly could have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, whatever, instead, drugged out of my mind, and drudged through the next 12 years of my life with the rest of the bovine swarm.

soo, should we continue sedating potentially more advanced learners so they conform with the majority, orrrrrrr, should we perhaps investigate the possibility that a faster CPU is appearing on the market, and develop innovative, rapid-fire learning programs to accomodate them? 

this is my point, or my question, or whatever.  since you folks need everything spelled out for you.

You realize the drugs we give ADHD patients are stimulants right?? Also do you have any evidence that these people are actually "more advance learners" or is it just a 'hunch"??  Please no "consipiacy" theroy crap Also there is a difference in being just "distracted" and hyper and having adhd. So you have one antedtol episode (aka you) therefore all adhd patients are just like you?? Also how do you know for sure you could have been dianosed with adhd? Did you ever actually go to a psychologist or psychritist? Also, notice how your teachers realized you were just basically bored  with adhd kids they don't think they are just "bored" its because they really cannot concentrate, the couple adhd people i know cannot concentrate on anything at all, not long enough to learn anything. Were you like this? can you sit still or concentrate on a book for longer then say 5 min?

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
you clearly don't have it. you're too slow.

zntneo wrote:

You realize the drugs we give ADHD patients are stimulants right??

yeah, so what.  they have a 'calming' effect, right?

Quote:
Also do you have any evidence that these people are actually "more advance learners" or is it just a 'hunch"??  Please no "consipiacy" theroy crap

how many fuckin' times do i have to say that it's just a posit?  is it not worth looking into?

Quote:
Also there is a difference in being just "distracted" and hyper and having adhd.

not from what i hear.

Quote:
So you have one antedtol episode (aka you) therefore all adhd patients are just like you??

from my standpoint, it's enough to cast a reasonable doubt.

Quote:
Also how do you know for sure you could have been dianosed with adhd?

well, according to today's standards, if i went to a doctor describing those symptoms, i'm pretty sure i would've been diagnosed with it, seeing as how everyone else is.

Quote:
Did you ever actually go to a psychologist or psychritist?

fortunately there wasn't such a market for bullshit back then.

Quote:
Also, notice how your teachers realized you were just basically bored  with adhd kids they don't think they are just "bored" its because they really cannot concentrate, the couple adhd people i know cannot concentrate on anything at all, not long enough to learn anything. Were you like this? can you sit still or concentrate on a book for longer then say 5 min?

i suppose, but only if it's something i'm deeply interested in.

i also know people diagnosed with adhd, and they can concentrate easily if it's something they have a real interest in, whether it's a video game, or playing the bagpipes, or riding a skateboard. 

i never said adhd isn't real.  i only proposed that it might not be an affliction.  you say they can't concentrate on anything long enough to learn, well what if they don't need it to be "long enough".  what if they learn in bits and pieces that are short enough for them?  but we'll never know, because everybody's too busy feeling sorry for them that they "can't be normal" like you to give it a go and see what they might be able to do better than us.

do you get my fucking point now? or do i need to drill it into your fucking heads with some unbeknownst power from the cosmos?

it's as simple as saying 'what if?'.  that's all.

Fear is the mindkiller.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrFear wrote:yeah, so

DrFear wrote:
yeah, so what.  they have a 'calming' effect, right?
Nope. It has a 'focusing' effect. The drugs used tend to be astonishingly specific in the ADHD neuro-atypical brain, making it far easier for someone with ADHD to concentrate.

There have been studies on ADHD and ASD, looking for better ways than drugs for living with these differences. ADHD folks learn more slowly because of concentration problems, and solve problems more slowly for the same issue, even when they have a high level of interest in the subject. No particular advantage has been found just yet.

These studies are in their infancy and it takes a very long time to study humans because of the care that must be taken to be ethical about it. But they are happening, for many of the reasons you state - it's very much worth looking into.

The 'treatments' so far are just patient management, and they exist only because the parents of these neuro-atypical children haven't the first idea how to deal with their differences. It's a sucky state of affairs, I agree, but not one likely to change very soon.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
ok, focusing, good.this is

ok, focusing, good.

this is good, thanks for taking my question seriously, hon.  this is all good to know.

Quote:
and it takes a very long time to study humans because of the care that must be taken to be ethical about it.

yeah, that's the problem, isn't it.

p.s. i'd certainly be interested in reading details on any studies, if you know any schools or facilities conducting such experimentation.  intranet searches have turned up nada....

Fear is the mindkiller.