I Am Absolutely Certain that 'God' Does Not Exist

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I Am Absolutely Certain that 'God' Does Not Exist

...Since it's been argued by some that the above is a philosophically 'weak' position, I just felt like pointing-out a few things:

- 'God' is a crap concept. There no way it could possibly exist; it isn't even defined. It has the same likelyhood for existence as 'Shootle'. Some day in the future, we might come across something and decide to label it 'God', just as we might someday do the same for 'Shootle'. This does not mean 'God' exists; it means the term is just drifting about, waiting to be abitrarily attached to some quantifiable entity as of yet.

- God in the traditional sense of the word cannot exist. Yahweh violates several physical laws, and the books describing him and his actions are entirely erroneous. They were myths to explain things for which we had no previous explanation; now that we do have said explanations, these texts can and should be treated as fiction.

-  God has been carried forward on the back of the afore-mentioned myths. These myths have been scientifically disproven; more reasonable theists have then had to invent new myths, based on areas of human understanding that are still fuzzy. But it's still the same old God - we've just tried prettying it up. The fact that we would recognize the myths as erroneous, but not the figure central to them, is borderline lunacy (...at least it's not total lunacy).

Theists? Care to rebuke these statements? Or at least define 'God' for me?

(...And Christians/Catholics? Care to explain how crackers = Jesus? Or justify how putting a nail through Jesus = bad, but eating and digesting Jesus = good? )

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:This is a

MattShizzle wrote:

This is a whole other issue - how employees can regulate their employees lives outside of work. I don't think they should be allowed to at all. Terms of employment should not be applicable to anything outside of work. If they dismiss someone for this, they should immediately lose all federal and state funding and have to pay him his salary until he gets a new job and pay back every cent they got from the state and federal government in the last year.

unfortunately that is not how NCLB is managed, and yes, universities have to have some degree of that program. You have to teach for the tests as it is, and if you don't, then you don't get funding, because you failed on the tests.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I'm saying

MattShizzle wrote:

I'm saying the law needs to be changed to disallow them from puting those sort of contracts out. Imagine if they had a contract that said you had to attend church every Sunday and you couldn't obtain employment there without signing. That would be totally wrong. I find those ones where they own anything you create utterly hideous and another reason capitalism needs to be destroyed.

I find them simply to be evidence that more people have to be willing to say 'no thanks, I don't think I'll sign this' and walk away to strike out on their own. The law can't cover everything. You cannot legislate away the tendency of people to not pay attention, to be easily lead, to sacrifice their rights in order to get a vague promise of security. It doesn't work. Changing the law won't solve the problem. The problem will only be solved by changing the basic nature of Man.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: Quote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

Do you not understand what the word "or" means when given a list of requirements.  It meants "one or the other" or could mean "both."

Wrong again.

'Or' always means one or the other. 'And' would be what we use wen being all inclusive. Using 'or' when trying to be all inclusive leads to different connotations.

This is incorrect.  You are thinking of "exclusive or", which is not the same as "or" in logic.  Colloquially, yes, people generally mean "exclusive or" in common speech ("red or white wine with dinner?" ), but you're having a logical argument, so Rhad's objection stands.  To illustrate:

A B A v B A ^ B A xor B
F F F F F
F T T F T
T F T F T
T T T T F

Since the truth tables for OR and XOR do not match, they are not equivalent operators.

Quote:

Example:

'Zebras are black and white,' (Suggesting both colors are present)

'Zebras are black or white,' (Suggesting Zebras can be one color or the other)

So if A was "zebras are black" and B was "zebras are white" (where "are" means "possess hair that is" ), zebras would turn up in a list of animals that "are black OR white".

But here again, we're descending into colloquial speech vs logical reasoning, and the waters darken as we descend.  We're getting into the hidden assumptions people make in their language.

Quote:

'Proof' is a mathematical term. It doesn't apply outside mathematics at all. Unless your dealing with numbers, asking for a 'proof' of anything is spouting gibberish.

Not exactly true.  You can prove things outside the realm of mathematics, but you'll still need some kind of formalism to accomplish it.  Logic counts, so you can prove things based on premises to the extent that you trust the accuracy of those premises.

I think what he's saying is: things without evidence can be said to not exist, (Bayesian reasoning says as much) but that does not commute to proof.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:But here again,

shikko wrote:

But here again, we're descending into colloquial speech vs logical reasoning, and the waters darken as we descend.  We're getting into the hidden assumptions people make in their language.

Demonstrating the importance of semantics.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:I think the

JillSwift wrote:
I think the only reason "strong" atheism is considered a weak philosophical position is because 

"god" can be defined and re-defined to be what the hell ever you want it to be. How can one be sure that something so amorphous does not exist?

[...]

I'm not a "strong" atheist because... well, because I'm lazy. I don't' want to have to sift through the huge piles of god definitions to come up with an argument that backs my position. "No evidence means I don't see a need to care about it" works as well and it's a whole lot easier.

I can go one easier: Remember how anything divided by infinity is zero?

It just so happens that there are an infinite number of possible undefinable creatures that one's imagination can conjure. Literally infinite. To try and pick one definition is like dividing by infinity. You end up with zero. The math is pretty simple on that one. Regardless of the explanation, it is one of an infinity.

Saying "God doesn't have to follow math" is a new rule, simply drawn from the infinite number of possible permutations of attributes that an arbitrarily defined creature could have. You have produced a new zero.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:A)It is, in fact, a

Quote:
A)It is, in fact, a 'Eucharistic host', just as some crackers are Triscuits(tm), and some are Saltines(tm). It's a wafer (not a cracker, strictly, as it's not made quite the same way) manufactured to specific standards for a specific marketing purpose. The name applied to it for that purpose is still applicable.

You're equating a brand name with a metaphysical title. It's 'manufactured' to be the body of Jesus, is it?

Quote:
B)Actually, I don't think the cracker is the core point at all. It's that the University has a conduct policy for its employees which indicates that conduct which is intended to offend specific people (note: not 'conduct which is intended to surprise and provoke reaction in unspecified observers') is prohibited.

The cracker is definately the core point. Saying that you're offended by someone poking a hole through a cracker is what we grown-ups call 'unreasonable' (imagine if, for example, I told you I was offended by any woman who didn't wear a veil over her face) and 'insane'. 

There is no reason to be offended at all at what PZ did, except if you happen to think Jesus really might be in the crackers. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:A)The bank's

Quote:

A)The bank's 'counter-evidence' is evidence of absence. Your lack of evidence to support your claim is absence of evidence. These two things are not equivalent.

B)When you stop getting liquid out of your glass, that is evidence of absence. It is not absence of evidence.

C)One would presume you look under the bed, which, once again, provides evidence of absence. Prior observation of this state, combined with no new evidence to contradict it, means that when you looked under your bed at 3 years old, there was the evidence of absence that is still valid today.

Again, this is why semantics matter. Absence of evidence is simply no evidence to support a claim. It is NOT evidence to disprove a claim.

Until one was caught in the 1930s, there was no evidence that coelacanths continued to exist as anything more than fossils. At that point, there was an absence of evidence. There was not, however, evidence of absence, as was made abundantly clear when one was caught in a fishing net.

Evidence of Absence is something that actively shows something is not presence. Example: A litmus test that would show the presence of acid not doing so. Fire suddenly going out when placed in atmospheric conditions where the presence of oxygen is questionable.

Absence of Evidence is simply a lack of anything that actively shows that something is present. Example: Nobody spotting a certain type of fish.

Absence of Evidence, combined with conjecture and inference, can give us high enough probability of absence that we need not presume presence, but it is not, and never will be, evidence of absence.

Oh, WOW, BMcD! Look at how terribly wrong you are!

'...A lack of sabotage doesn't prove that no Fifth Column exists.  Absence of proof is not proof of absence.  In logic, A->B, "A implies B", is not equivalent to ~A->~B, "not-A implies not-B".

But in probability theory, absence of evidence is always evidence of absence.   If E is a binary event and P(H|E) > P(H), "seeing E increases the probability of H"; then P(H|~E) < P(H), "failure to observe E decreases the probability of H".  P(H) is a weighted mix of P(H|E) and P(H|~E), and necessarily lies between the two.  If any of this sounds at all confusing, see An Intuitive Explanation of Bayesian Reasoning.

Under the vast majority of real-life circumstances, a cause may not reliably produce signs of itself, but the absence of the cause is even less likely to produce the signs.  The absence of an observation may be strong evidence of absence or very weak evidence of absence, depending on how likely the cause is to produce the observation.  The absence of an observation that is only weakly permitted (even if the alternative hypothesis does not allow it at all), is very weak evidence of absence (though it is evidence nonetheless).  This is the fallacy of "gaps in the fossil record" - fossils form only rarely; it is futile to trumpet the absence of a weakly permitted observation when many strong positive observations have already been recorded.  But if there are no positive observations at all, it is time to worry; hence the Fermi Paradox.

Your strength as a rationalist is your ability to be more confused by fiction than by reality; if you are equally good at explaining any outcome you have zero knowledge.  The strength of a model is not what it can explain, but what it can't, for only prohibitions constrain anticipation.  If you don't notice when your model makes the evidence unlikely, you might as well have no model, and also you might as well have no evidence; no brain and no eyes.'

(Feel free to cease derailing the thread with shitty and incorrect arguments at your nearest convenience, thanks).

Quote:

February 27, 1940

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Saying

HisWillness wrote:

Saying "God doesn't have to follow math" is a new rule, simply drawn from the infinite number of possible permutations of attributes that an arbitrarily defined creature could have. You have produced a new zero.

Sounds absolutely cosmic.    Will.....have you been eating mushrooms again ?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a little boggled about

I'm a little boggled about this idea that Dr. Myers did something unethical.

If I made my "Body-n-Blood Pudding", would I need to be fired from my job?
Or do I have the right to express my opinions and feelings by abusing flour paste wafers?

I think Myers has the right to do what he did, and what he did fails to be "unethical" on any level.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
A)It is, in fact, a 'Eucharistic host', just as some crackers are Triscuits(tm), and some are Saltines(tm). It's a wafer (not a cracker, strictly, as it's not made quite the same way) manufactured to specific standards for a specific marketing purpose. The name applied to it for that purpose is still applicable.

You're equating a brand name with a metaphysical title. It's 'manufactured' to be the body of Jesus, is it?

Actually, yes. It's manufactured for that express purpose. Regardless of how ridiculous it is to believe it's someone's actual body, that is, in fact, the reason those wafers are made that way.

Quote:

Quote:
B)Actually, I don't think the cracker is the core point at all. It's that the University has a conduct policy for its employees which indicates that conduct which is intended to offend specific people (note: not 'conduct which is intended to surprise and provoke reaction in unspecified observers') is prohibited.

The cracker is definately the core point. Saying that you're offended by someone poking a hole through a cracker is what we grown-ups call 'unreasonable' (imagine if, for example, I told you I was offended by any woman who didn't wear a veil over her face) and 'insane'. 

There is no reason to be offended at all at what PZ did, except if you happen to think Jesus really might be in the crackers. 

But that's not the point. It doesn't matter if there is a valid reason for people to be offended. What matters is that in advance, he was aware that his actions would offend people, and took those actions partially with the intent of offending them, which is a violation of the University's codes of conduct.

The cracker, again, is completely not the point. The actual act is irrelevant. The relevant issue is:

The university says its employees are not allowed to do things with the intent of angering or offending people if they want to work there.

He works there.

He did something, who cares what it was, with the intent of angering or offending people.

Some people think that him violating his terms of employment has consequences.

You, on the other hand, are saying 'well, it doesn't matter if he's in breach of contract, because I like what he did', but whether or not we approve of the action, he remains in breach of contract. Why is that a difficult thing to understand?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Oh, WOW,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Oh, WOW, BMcD! Look at how terribly wrong you are!

'...A lack of sabotage doesn't prove that no Fifth Column exists.  Absence of proof is not proof of absence.  In logic, A->B, "A implies B", is not equivalent to ~A->~B, "not-A implies not-B".

But in probability theory, absence of evidence is always evidence of absence.   If E is a binary event and P(H|E) > P(H), "seeing E increases the probability of H"; then P(H|~E) < P(H), "failure to observe E decreases the probability of H".  P(H) is a weighted mix of P(H|E) and P(H|~E), and necessarily lies between the two.  If any of this sounds at all confusing, see An Intuitive Explanation of Bayesian Reasoning.

Under the vast majority of real-life circumstances, a cause may not reliably produce signs of itself, but the absence of the cause is even less likely to produce the signs.  The absence of an observation may be strong evidence of absence or very weak evidence of absence, depending on how likely the cause is to produce the observation.  The absence of an observation that is only weakly permitted (even if the alternative hypothesis does not allow it at all), is very weak evidence of absence (though it is evidence nonetheless).  This is the fallacy of "gaps in the fossil record" - fossils form only rarely; it is futile to trumpet the absence of a weakly permitted observation when many strong positive observations have already been recorded.  But if there are no positive observations at all, it is time to worry; hence the Fermi Paradox.

Your strength as a rationalist is your ability to be more confused by fiction than by reality; if you are equally good at explaining any outcome you have zero knowledge.  The strength of a model is not what it can explain, but what it can't, for only prohibitions constrain anticipation.  If you don't notice when your model makes the evidence unlikely, you might as well have no model, and also you might as well have no evidence; no brain and no eyes.'

(Feel free to cease derailing the thread with shitty and incorrect arguments at your nearest convenience, thanks).

Except, of course, that your example actually supports my case, not yours: Gaps in the fossil record. Gaps in the fossil record is an example of 'absence of evidence', not 'evidence of absence'. That there are gaps doesn't mean the creatures that would fill those gaps didn't exist. Claiming that a lack of evidence is proof of the opposite means nothing when you have no evidence in either direction. Especially when you cannot give an example of what evidence would be necessitated if a cause were true. You can't give a single example of evidence that would have to exist if God does, which means you can't give a single solid example of the evidence that's missing. All you've got is Occam's Razor, which is fine for justifying not believing in God, but cuts the exact same way toward actively disbelieving: You've got no hard evidence, why espouse surety you don't really have? Keep it simple and say 'we don't know, and so have no reason to believe'.

When it comes to accurately modeling the existence of the divine, you do, as you indicated, have zero knowledge. Only likelihoods. And as much as we accept likelihoods have, well, a high likelihood of being true, they're not absolute knowledge. Hell, when it comes to accurately modeling the existence of the divine, as you yourself are so fond of rightly pointing out, we don't even have a set of baseline parameters to model from. It's like modeling 'thing': could be anything. And that, too, is more reason not to believe, but provides no compelling evidence for disbelief.

Which, for the record, is how it all ties back in to your original post. Not a derailment.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm saying it doesn't matter

I'm saying it doesn't matter if he violated the contract because they shouldn't be able to put a term like that in the contract in the first place. We need way way more government regulation of the private sector to counter the awesome power business has. I think there should be very strict rules of what an employer can expect of an employee and they should have no ability to control any aspect whatsoever of anyones private life under any circumstances.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
oOH yAY! I get to reply to

oOH yAY! I get to reply to DG's comment which I wasn't officially allowed to do in the debate thread as much as I wished I could, I'm so glad you brought this up.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

DeludedGod wrote:

At any rate, all material interactions and processes as we understand them are the result of the interaction you described. But the second half of the post seemed primarily concerned with the problem of personal identity.

That's Dead right! I love it when the other side is clued in Smiling

What I am doing there is identifying a relationship of the Problem of Identity with a way of viewing the material components of identity. In particular, the part of identity encoded in electromagnetic particles, the indistinguishable bosons which mediate interaction between rigid objects in a manner that clearly conflicts with a basic causal framework.

Relativistically you could say that any two interacting entities do not exist except that they are 'agreed upon' by each other. Of course the manner in which two interacting bodies are capable of 'arranging' and/or 'knowing' what they have 'agreed to' is going to be wild speculation at best in this forum so I didn't in the debate and won't now go into that area but just stick to what was the original point in my argument -The Information exchanged between the fermi neighbours is information about their individual state, yet their individual state also depends on having that information.

Kevin quoting DG wrote:

It was not clear what precisely you meant by the point that sentience belongs to the universe. What do you mean to state that this property belongs to something? If material processes result from interactions within a Bosonic field (which they do) then where the distribution of information within the field causes the material process as observed, then all the properties of material objects themselves, and their processes, result, however indirectly from QM .But what you were essentially doing, therefore, was drawing an analogy. To state that two processes are analogous and that, as a result, if one process has some property, the other process must have the same property, is a non sequitur.

Well I'm not saying that the other process has the same property, really, I'm saying something slightly different. I'm saying that the other process has an equal claim to the property as it's identity, in the sense that the biological claim to the property is reduced to being no more ultimately valid than that of a rock in its hand.  This is not to deny that it is accurate to say that the mental property is located in the biological entity, which is clearly an accurate portrayal wherever it persists, **(if it indeed does so at all, it may merely be apparently persisting, but...) at any rate the assumption that the apparent state does persist need not even fall because all entities are delineated from each other by the boson field, and that distribution is just arbitrary, there are no distinguishable origins of state selection of rigid matter.

What this boils down to that Identity is merely an arbitrary viewpoint. That the universe falls into a sensical order around ones arbitrary personal identity is a mysterious thing, but it suggests strongly that the universe is fundamentally computational and we can go with that and model the manner in which it is so just fine without having to consider the issue that our sense of being a person doing so is little more than a sum over probabilities made from a very arbitrary 'point' in an undefined state of pre-existence.

On the other hand, this is the basis of physical existence and with it we can do all the famous philosophical mind tricks - Last Thursdayism, Brain in a Vat et cetera so forth... but essentially we are left to acknowledge that our claim to a biological identity is no more valid than the earths claim to it's identity and the earth's identity includes us.

Kevin quoting DG wrote:

It seemed that the primary implication of the principle being advocated was that personal identity is a problematic process, because material objects are not composed of immutable substances which are distinct from their external world.

I wasn't arguing from the question of persistence (whch I've pointed out above) so immutability has nothing to do with it. I'm arguing from the point of distribution, so that every state whether it persists or not, is unto itself only from an arbitrary point. This includes humans, and it results in an identity belonging to the earth which is absolutely equal to our claim, without exclusion of any special properties (such as mentality or will). As I said in the debate, either we relinquish our claim over our biological organs, or we accept that in making a claim we extend the same to everything else in universe because ours is no less 'made up' than that.

Kevin quoting DG wrote:

You need to decide what you are talking about. This debate is not about the philosophical problem of personal identity.

Well as far as I am concerned the God debate is about the philsophical problem of personal identity, how could it not be? the primary description we have of God in most theologies is that man is In His Image. So how the hell are we supposed to define God without first defining man???

Kevin wrote:

How's the weather in Australia, by the way?

Thanks for asking Kevin, actually, it's a bitter 10-14 celcius the equivalent of a frozen hell for Queenslanders like me. I'm wearing a blanket Smiling

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm saying it doesn't

Quote:
I'm saying it doesn't matter if he violated the contract because they shouldn't be able to put a term like that in the contract in the first place. We need way way more government regulation of the private sector to counter the awesome power business has. I think there should be very strict rules of what an employer can expect of an employee and they should have no ability to control any aspect whatsoever of anyones private life under any circumstances.

How would one define "private life"?  If I run a house to shelter battered wives, and one of my workers goes home and beats his wife.  Even absent criminal conviction, I should have every right to be able to fire him if I put some clause in the contract that covered.  Yet, the act of "beating one's wife" would arguably be a "private life" act.

You may say "it's related to the business"--but, I suppose that's the argument all employers will make.  As, I would suspect, the state university would do if brought to civil court.  "Our university expects its professors to conduct themselves in a manner, both on and off school premises, in a way that honors the heritage of our school.  In light of that heritage, no professor shall ever intentionally offend a political, religious, ideological, or X, group of people."

Sure.. make the argument that its not business related.. I think it's arguable though.  And, at least as I understand case law, is part of the reason courts choose to stay out of these cases.  "Freedom of Contract".. if they make an offer, you accept, and there is consideration, you have a contract.

Absent substantive and procedural unconscionability, that contract will remain in force.  I'm a fan of the limited approach the courts take on contracts.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: the primary

Eloise wrote:

the primary description we have of God in most theologies is that man is In His Image.

Isn't it obvious that someone made this naked assertion without presenting any arguement for it?

As a scientist, why have you accepted this blatant declaration; why aren't you asking for evidence?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I disagree with that. If

I disagree with that. If someone is convicted of a crime that's different. If they aren't convicted a business needs to abide by innocent to proven guilty anyway. By the way battered women's shelters are usually run by volunteers and it's extremely unlikely an abusive man would even go for it even if it was a job - it doesn't pay well and requires a temperment that type of man couldn't handle. Some of them only have women working because of what the women there can take.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I disagree with that.

Quote:
I disagree with that. If someone is convicted of a crime that's different. If they aren't convicted a business needs to abide by innocent to proven guilty anyway.

I would disagree with this.

A business shouldn't need to follow the "innocent til proven guilty" idea.  They may just not like the perception of inpropriety.  I think they should have the right to do so.

The field I am going to be working in, for the most part, is filled with "at will" employees.  We can be fired for any reason except for certain types of discrimination.

Quote:
By the way battered women's shelters are usually run by volunteers and it's extremely unlikely an abusive man would even go for it even if it was a job - it doesn't pay well and requires a temperment that type of man couldn't handle. Some of them only have women working because of what the women there can take.

Heh.  The example was meant to stress a point.  I suppose I could've done the "rehab center with the drug-addicted counselor".. or the "anti-gun lobby with a lawyer who carries a semi-automatic weapon on himself."

The purpose was to stress the difficult distinctions between "private life" and those things that the business would have a reasonable interest in.

In anycase.  I understand how we can disagree on this issue, and it's no problem that we do.. just a different of opinions on certain fundamental issues.

A libertarian leaning republican-federalist-green here. Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
At will employment is an

At will employment is an abomination.

A very left leaning socialist leaning toward communist who thinks private ownership of business should generally be illegal here.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:A very left leaning

Quote:
A very left leaning socialist leaning toward communist who thinks private ownership of business should generally be illegal here.

Dear Mr. Pinko-Scum,

I respectfully disagree with your positions.

Signed,

Capitalist Pig

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Eloise

aiia wrote:

Eloise wrote:

the primary description we have of God in most theologies is that man is In His Image.

Isn't it obvious that someone made this naked assertion without presenting any arguement for it?

Well no, it's not obvious to me that this widely repeated theistic assertion can not be found to have support on the basis of the context in which it was made. I do think that the complete soundness of dismissing it depends on the status of personal identity philosophy, so if we know what we are, then we would know whether this statement was true or not and because we do have a philosophical problem of personal identity, we can't say either way how true this statement could possibly be. However, Do I think that this line of reasoning trumps the pragmatic alternative which would support dismissing theology out of hand on the basis of its ugly evolution through history? Actually, No, I don't.  It's my curiosity which is to blame. This never made any logical demand on me to make investigation, I just did anyway cause it was there and it was interesting.

aiia wrote:

As a scientist, why have you accepted this blatant declaration; why aren't you asking for evidence?

I'm accepting syncretism and historical persistence as a measure for the possibility that evidence exists and can be found, asking the original claimants to present evidence has some practical issues, somewhere in the vicinity of thousands of years, and we all know what happens when you ask the average contemporary claimant for evidence.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:Quote:A

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:

Dear Mr. Pinko-Scum,

I respectfully disagree with your positions.

Signed,

Capitalist Pig

so you think an employer has the right to fire someone based upon the employer's perogative? Put it this way, do you think it would be right for you to be fired from your job because you happened to like eating pork ribs for supper while your employer happened to be a Jew? That is what at will employment is about.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:so you think an

Quote:
so you think an employer has the right to fire someone based upon the employer's perogative? Put it this way, do you think it would be right for you to be fired from your job because you happened to like eating pork ribs for supper while your employer happened to be a Jew? That is what at will employment is about.

I try to make it clear that I'm joking sometimes.. but I realize it doesn't work out as I want it.  Just to clarify... I was joking with Matt.  Nothing against communist.. socialists.. or leaning thereto.. nothing against most political idealogies.. just happen to disagree.

In any case.. to the question at hand:

Yes.. I know that's what an at-will employee is, and yes, I'm "fine" with that.  There is an offer (pay X for X work at-will), there is an acceptance (I accept), their is consideration (payment for work).

Part of the calculus, I believe, that goes into the acceptance of such a non-secure line of work, is considering how much non-secure work is worth.  To some, not alot, and for those, the premium the employers have to pay to get those at-will employees doesn't have to be that much.  To others alot, and the premium reflects that.  If the premium is so high that the employer doesn't think its worth it to secure "at-will" employees.. than he can take away that requirement.

I don't see any advantage into increasing government regulation in the contracting of "at-will" employment--they do enough already.  The employee may get better security.. but also restricts his ability to bargain that security for higher pay.  I believe the choice best left up to the employee and the employer.

[edit] That is not to say that I don't believe there are some things people should not be able to bargain away... I just don't think this form of job-security is one of those things.  That being said, this statement does not take away from my support for the equitable remedies given in a court finding a contract unconscionable.. and voiding certain parts of it.   Usually very limited in application (if I remember my contracts class correctly).

I may become more (or less) in favor of "freedom of contract" in the future.. I'd have to give it some more thought. At the moment, however, the above mentioned view would seem to accurately represent my opinion on the matter.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since, in this thread, Kevin

Since, in this thread, Kevin and I have resurrected the topics introduced in our debate and it's pretty obvious that my personal beliefs are based on a very Quantum worldview of physical models that most people are not the first bit familiar with, for all who are interested this blog presented by the Future of Humanity Institute of Oxford University is an extensive but very informative background read which should help you to understand my arguments much better.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
All things are connected

All things are connected ....

Ummm, yeah , what is going on with them things ???

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Since, in this

Eloise wrote:

Since, in this thread, Kevin and I have resurrected the topics introduced in our debate and it's pretty obvious that my personal beliefs are based on a very Quantum worldview of physical models that most people are not the first bit familiar with, for all who are interested this blog presented by the Future of Humanity Institute of Oxford University is an extensive but very informative background read which should help you to understand my arguments much better.

Eliezer wrote:
Suppose that someone built an exact duplicate of you on Mars, quark by quark - to the maximum level of resolution that quantum physics permits, which is considerably higher resolution than ordinary thermal uncertainty.  Would the duplicate be really you, or just a copy?

Nothing can be an exact duplicate because, for one thing, spacetime cannot be duplicated. Proof: I am on earth and my duplicate is on Mars, therefore two distinct identities.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Well no, it's

Eloise wrote:
Well no, it's not obvious to me that this widely repeated theistic assertion can not be found to have support on the basis of the context in which it was made. I do think that the complete soundness of dismissing it depends on the status of personal identity philosophy, so if we know what we are, then we would know whether this statement was true or not and because we do have a philosophical problem of personal identity, we can't say either way how true this statement could possibly be. However, Do I think that this line of reasoning trumps the pragmatic alternative which would support dismissing theology out of hand on the basis of its ugly evolution through history? Actually, No, I don't.  It's my curiosity which is to blame. This never made any logical demand on me to make investigation, I just did anyway cause it was there and it was interesting.

Translatation - You believe what you want to believe (perhaps because it feels good or perhaps because it will not upset the person who is telling you things that are not supported with evidence)

Quote:

I'm accepting syncretism and historical persistence as a measure for the possibility that evidence exists and can be found, asking the original claimants to present evidence has some practical issues, somewhere in the vicinity of thousands of years, and we all know what happens when you ask the average contemporary claimant for evidence.

So then, we should consider that the earth is flat?

edit - The belief that the earth was flat had a historical persistence

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Since, in this

Eloise wrote:
Okies: First, I love the new avatar pic, Eloise. It has a very Da Vinci/Mona Lisa feel to it. =^_^=

Now, I get the basic concepts mentioned on the page you liked to. What I don't get is how you get from there to some of the conclusions you mention. Like: Pantheism?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Okies:

JillSwift wrote:

Okies: First, I love the new avatar pic, Eloise. It has a very Da Vinci/Mona Lisa feel to it. =^_^=

Yay! That is what I liked about it too, I'm glad you agree.

JillSwift wrote:

Now, I get the basic concepts mentioned on the page you liked to. What I don't get is how you get from there to some of the conclusions you mention. Like: Pantheism?

The reason I linked that blog is because the summary statement on this page covers all the elements describing the physical universe we are living in that need be understood as basic in order to follow the reasoning I would use to demonstrate the panentheistic entity. The page I linked to is the index which includes the supporting material that any person would be required to comprehend prior to reading this summary page. I linked to the index, but if you are well versed already then it is only what's on that page that is required to support my theistic views.

The conclusion of panentheism is basically as I stated in the debate. Our claim to a personal sentient identity is not more real than a rock's to the same. We cannot justify ownership of individual consciousness to humans, it's arbitrary. It would be not an iota more arbitrary to delegate ownership of that identity to all time and space in existence. In fact, that would be the one and only justifiable identity under the definition of identity, the only x which is entirely and exclusively unto itself because this is the one frame in which x=y because x≡y, so that, unlike other parts of this whole that we would identify, x=x even as y.

In summation God because....

As x=x is x=y because P(x) = P(y)

There is only ONE identity: x≡y

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Sounds absolutely cosmic.    Will.....have you been eating mushrooms again ?

Was that trippy? Maybe I've been reading too much Joyce.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Okies:

JillSwift wrote:

The colours and character are somewhere between Albrecht Dürer and Rembrandt, though. There's less artifice and more depth to those painters than Da Vinci.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Was that

HisWillness wrote:

Was that trippy? Maybe I've been reading too much Joyce.

Not so much "trippy" as  ... profound !

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(Feel free to cease

To all of you:

Quote:

(Feel free to cease derailing the thread with [tangential] and incorrect arguments at your nearest convenience, thanks).

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:To all of

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

To all of you:

Quote:

(Feel free to cease derailing the thread with [tangential] and incorrect arguments at your nearest convenience, thanks).

By all means, I yield the floor...

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:By all means, I yield

Quote:
By all means, I yield the floor...

Oh.. well, I wasn't speaking to you Prozac. Your insights were completely on point.  'Shrooms are always on point.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Okay, my bad.

Okay, my bad.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would love to see people

I would love to see people start making YouTube videos desecrating hosts - but I wonder if YouTube would overreact again like they did before over videos that offended theists. Plus I wonder how many people would say it was a host when it was really just a regular cracker (not that there's an actual difference, but they certainly think so.) What the fuck kind of wuss god can be tortured and humiliated by people just for shits and giggles and not be able to do anything about it?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Except, of course,

Quote:
Except, of course, that your example actually supports my case, not yours: Gaps in the fossil record. Gaps in the fossil record is an example of 'absence of evidence', not 'evidence of absence'.

You clearly didn't read the article; just the part of it that re-affirmed your argument.

Quote:
Claiming that a lack of evidence is proof...

There's that 'proof' word again. Expect we're dealing with evidence, not proof. Allow me to highlight something for you, since apparently you need to be spoonfed your data:

Quote:
...lack of sabotage doesn't prove that no Fifth Column exists.  Absence of proof is not proof of absence [And that's perfectly fine, since it's not what I was arguing].  In logic, A->B, "A implies B", is not equivalent to ~A->~B, "not-A implies not-B".

But in probability theory, absence of evidence is always evidence of absence [...So you'll have to explain to me: How does this statement support your argument, again?].   If E is a binary event and P(H|E) > P(H), "seeing E increases the probability of H"; then P(H|~E) < P(H), "failure to observe E decreases the probability of H".  P(H) is a weighted mix of P(H|E) and P(H|~E), and necessarily lies between the two.  If any of this sounds at all confusing, see An Intuitive Explanation of Bayesian Reasoning.

Quote:
You can't give a single example of evidence that would have to exist if God does

(...This is a curious thing for someone claiming not to be a theist to say)

- An all-powerful, all loving God that answers prayers should have demonstratable effect on said prayers.

- An all-powerful, all loving God should have created a universe devoid of suffering.

- An instantaneous creation event that created every single organism in one shot should be obvious from the fossil record.

...I'm sure people can think of others. Feel free to read the many articles of Todangst for further enlightenment.

Quote:
When it comes to accurately modeling the existence of the divine, you do, as you indicated, have zero knowledge. Only likelihoods.

The same can be said for any numbers of things. Given a high enough probability, it's sensible to say at that point, 'Okay. We more or less no for sure that this is how this things works.'

We've been knocking God off the list of a variety of things we used to think he did over the centuries, until now we've finally reached the point where attributing anything to God now is simply senseless. If we have the knowledge now that we did in times of antiquity, God would never even have been concieved of in the first place.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But that's not the

Quote:
But that's not the point. It doesn't matter if there is a valid reason for people to be offended. What matters is that in advance, he was aware that his actions would offend people, and took those actions partially with the intent of offending them, which is a violation of the University's codes of conduct.

This is, at best, exploitation of the rules of conduct. Intuitively, you and I both know that the rules aren't there to cover every single possible thing that someone might find offensive; they're there to hold faculty members to certain standards of ethics. Instances need to be examined (as always) on a case by case basis - no simply arbitrarily labelled as 'OUTSIDEZ TEH CODEZ OF CONDUCT!' and then acted against.

Your lofting them up like they're the gospel.

By your standards, no person employed by the university has a right to free speech, no person inside the university has a right to protest, no person inside the universty has a right to vote or engage in political discourse, etc. You're giving Catholics their special pleading on a silver platter and waving through their free pass on issues they happen to find offensive once again.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
While I begin this post off

While I begin this post off with responding to a response to BMCD, I will get back to my own posts in a second.  All presumptions as to what BMCD meant (the ones implicit in the responses I give) are what I think he meant based upon what he said and based upon where this thread started off.  With that, I continue:

You:

Quote:
There's that 'proof' word again. Expect we're dealing with evidence, not proof. Allow me to highlight something for you, since apparently you need to be spoonfed your data:

No.. "we" WERE dealing with proof. 

Me:
Quote:
The absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Proof is what is needed to make an absolute statement, such as you did when you said "I am absolutely sure God does not exist."

proof     Audio Help   /pruf/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proof] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.    evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

Evidence, is merely the stuff used to support a point, or "tends to prove or disprove."

ev·i·dence     Audio Help   /ˈɛvɪdəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ev-i-duhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -denced, -denc·ing.
–noun
1.    that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof (being used in the colloquial sense, I believe.. perhaps even definition 2 of "proof"--certainly not in the sense we are using the word "proof" now.. which is, "evidence sufficient to support an absolute statement"--granted, you may make the argument that proof and evidence are interchangeable.  But based upon earlier statements, where you said that "proof" is only a mathematical term, I don't think this is what you intended).

Sufficient evidence (even in consideration of counter-evidence) = proof.  If you have mere "evidence," then you have no basis for making an absolute statement upon that basis of "mere evidence". Unless you have established that the evidence is "strong enough in consideration of all other available evidence that it tends to lead to a certainty of fact" or "proof."

Which is why I first pointed out "absence of proof is not proof of absence."  A general principle also, meant to point out that a mere "absence of evidence" is usually not evidence enough to state the certainty of an assertion.

The "argument from ignorance."

YOU were the one that tried to change it to "evidence" because that was the only statement you could defend. 

You:
Quote:
...You mean evidence, I assume? And yes, absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Example:

You did this, even though the original contention you made was an absolute.

You:
Quote:
'God' is a crap concept. There no way it could possibly exist

As a general principle, "absence of evidence is evidence of absence."  Whether it is "strong" or "weak" evidence, however, is a matter based on what your testing--as your article clearly suggests.  But that does not mean "an absence of evidence, even in consideration of all currently available evidence, is proof of absence or even "strong evidence" of absence."

E.g., gaps in the fossil record.

As I said before, the fact that I have no evidence (i.e., an absence of evidence) that my brother has gone to the bathroom today, is evidence that he has not--it's just not particularly strong evidence.

Keep in mind, responding to this by saying "Your brother can provide evidence that he went to the bathroom, personal recollection," does not change the fact that my current lack of evidence the he did is evidence that he did not.

That is not to say that if the assertion is narrow and specific enough, however, e.g., "there are monsters under your bed right now!," then "absence of evidence is strong evidence of absence" (e.g., look under the bed)--sufficient evidence for proof even.

But, when I made the statement, it was in reference to the Illiad, the Odyssey, and whether or not we can say "the characters central to them are erroneous."

You:
Quote:
Correct. Which is why it's unfair to argue from ignorance and simply state, 'Oh, yeah, Achilles was probably real. Y'know... just a tough guy, or something,'

Me:
Quote:

Fair enough.  But what you contesting is that:

You:
Quote:
The fact that we would recognize the myths as erroneous, but not the figure central to them, is borderline lunacy (...at least it's not total lunacy).

Me:
Quote:

i.e., that the "figure central to them" is not real.

If you want to suggest that the "absence of evidence" is "proof of absence," which is what is required for your the absolute statement, then you must, at least, even according to your article:

(1) define what is the probability that the "central figures" would have left evidence of their lives, even though it was supposedly lived during the greek dark ages.
(2) assert there is no evidence,
(3) wait for counterexamples,
(4) in the case of any lack of counterexamples, then hope that this "absence of evidence" is strong enough evidence to constitute proof for the purpose of rationalizing the making of the statement "the figure central to them [are erroneous]."

Quote:
(...This is a curious thing for someone claiming not to be a theist to say)

- An all-powerful, all loving God that answers prayers should have demonstratable effect on said prayers.

- An all-powerful, all loving God should have created a universe devoid of suffering.

- An instantaneous creation event that created every single organism in one shot should be obvious from the fossil record.

...I'm sure people can think of others. Feel free to read the many articles of Todangst for further enlightenment.

Except, that these are based on certain assertions about "God," which, is inconsistent with your original post which suggested that "God" has not been defined.

Quote:
'Crap' concept . . . . it isn't even defined.

Sure.. if you want, I can create a "God" that "absence of evidence" suggests strongly does not exist.

But that's not what we were discussing here, neither was it what BMCD was discussing.

Here is his statement with a little more context then what you gave.

BMCD:
Quote:
Especially when you cannot give an example of what evidence would be necessitated if a cause were true. You can't give a single example of evidence that would have to exist if God does, which means you can't give a single solid example of the evidence that's missing.

BMCD is speaking of "God" generally.  You are speaking of a specific "God."

BMCD is on point of this thread.  You are not.

(I'm not even going to address some of the presumptions made in your statements as to what is "necessary evidence" for the claimed God-figure).

BMCD:
Quote:
When it comes to accurately modeling the existence of the divine, you do, as you indicated, have zero knowledge. Only likelihoods.

You:
Quote:
The same can be said for any numbers of things. Given a high enough probability, it's sensible to say at that point, 'Okay. We more or less no for sure that this is how this things works.'

A probability is nothing more than a ratio of how many times things happened over how many times it could have happened.  Since you have said that God has not been defined, then any probability is X/infinity, even assuming you could "prove" that many of those definitions are impossible, to make the general statement that "God" the undefined concept, does not exist, is meaningless. 

Unless you can draw a limit on how many different definitions there can be for "God".. any "probability" you have for the non-existence of "God" (the undefined label) is 0.

Quote:
We've been knocking God off the list of a variety of things we used to think he did over the centuries, until now we've finally reached the point where attributing anything to God now is simply senseless. If we have the knowledge now that we did in times of antiquity, God would never even have been concieved of in the first place.

Bold claim.

Quote:
By your standards, no person employed by the university has a right to free speech, no person inside the university has a right to protest, no person inside the universty has a right to vote or engage in political discourse, etc. You're giving Catholics their special pleading on a silver platter and waving through their free pass on issues they happen to find offensive once again.

The employee has "Free Speech," he just bartered some of it away for job security.

That happens.. and it's perfectly legal.

Here are some other points that I think you should've conceded.  You haven't, merely ignored them... or brushed them off as "semantics." :
Quote:
It definately does not exist if you can't define it.

Quote:

Once again.. you're changing the argument you started off with.  "Can't" and "is not," are different phrases with different implications. (You originally contested that God, as a concept, absolutely does not exist.. "it isn't even defined.&quotEye-wink.

Quote:
And if everyone took your lazy approach?

'Ah, whatever. Probably God did it.'

How could you possibly argue that this wouldn't be an impediment to progress?

Quote:

Because I could still ask the question "how?"

Quote:
The fact that we would recognize the myths as erroneous, but not the figure central to them, is borderline lunacy (...at least it's not total lunacy).

Quote:
i.e., that the "figure central to them" is not real.

Quote:
It's the weakest of apologetics; because you've cherry-picked this particular piece of insanity out of your view, you think the overall scheme (which includes it) is reasonable, because any true Christian would do the same.

Quote:
Um.. no, I never said that.  I merely responded for myself and other Christians that think like me.  No more or less.  Many denominations, however, do profess, I believe, a "non transubstantiation" perspective on the aforementioned act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation#Views_of_other_Churches_on_transubstantiation

Quote:
No, it can't.

The reason dictionaries give you different definitions is that each one it provides is specific. See: Grade 1 English.

Quote:
You fail to understand that when I said "two ways," I was not suggesting that the dictionary's definition was not specific, but rather that it intentionally used the disjunctive "or" as to make the word apply to two very specific scenarios (or three, if you count "both" as one).

See: Grade 5 English.

Quote:
'Or' always means one or the other. 'And' would be what we use wen being all inclusive. Using 'or' when trying to be all inclusive leads to different connotations.

Example:

'Zebras are black and white,' (Suggesting both colors are present)

'Zebras are black or white,' (Suggesting Zebras can be one color or the other)

Quote:
Example:
I cannot teach english or math.

So I guess that means that I can't teach english.. or I can't teach math.. since obviously "or" requires one at the exclusion of the other.

Quote:
Of course, you're a dishonest twat, so you decided to derail the discussion into a semantics argument about the word 'thing'.

Quote:
And you're a petulant ignoramus.

?  Did that aid the discussing in anyway  ?

As for your statement that followed the personal attack, I didn't derail anything.

One of the major issues, original issue:

"There no way it could possibly exist; it isn't even defined."

Response:

"Something that is not defined cannot be said to not exist.  See: Thing."

Your response:

"Thing is a categorical label, it does not exist."

My response:

"Thing may be a categorical label, but it can be used to refer to something specific, although not precisely described, therefore, how can you say that it doesn't exist without further context?"

Hypothetical conclusion:

"You're right, thing can refer to something specific that does exist, although that is not precisely described.  Therefore, I cannot have said that "thing" does not exist without further definition or reference as to what thing I was talking about.  In the same way, I cannot say "God" does not exist without referring to a particular definition of God."

Or, you could have just corrected your original statement:

"God CAN'T be defined."

Which would be a different argument entirely.. but not what you said.

Quote:
    See? You're just a fucking moron.

There's your problem right there. Smiling

'Proof' is a mathematical term. It doesn't apply outside mathematics at all. Unless your dealing with numbers, asking for a 'proof' of anything is spouting gibberish.

Quote:
Check a dictionary next time...

proof     Audio Help   /pruf/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[proof] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.    evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.
2.    anything serving as such evidence: What proof do you have?
3.    the act of testing or making trial of anything; test; trial: to put a thing to the proof.
4.    the establishment of the truth of anything; demonstration.
5.    Law. (in judicial proceedings) evidence having probative weight.
6.    the effect of evidence in convincing the mind.
7.    an arithmetical operation serving to check the correctness of a calculation.
8.    Mathematics, Logic. a sequence of steps, statements, or demonstrations that leads to a valid conclusion.

You're using definition 8 and 7.. I'm referring to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:In summation

Eloise wrote:

I get it right up to calling it all "god".

The word "god" carries with it suggestions of creatorship, intelligent  intent, and the like. Why ascribe that sort of thing to the universe, zero iterative identity or not?

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:The

HisWillness wrote:
The colours and character are somewhere between Albrecht Dürer and Rembrandt, though. There's less artifice and more depth to those painters than Da Vinci.
You're a booger, Will Sticking out tongue Laughing out loud

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I use the "god" word,

I use the "god" word, knowing it's many silly definitions to eradicate the silly. It's just my angle of atheist activism. Usually my first reaction when people say god is to laugh. Geezz I laugh alot here at RRS. There I go again. I love this place ..... me god ....

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
JillSwift wrote:Eloise

JillSwift wrote:

Eloise wrote:

I get it right up to calling it all "god".

So you get that God is an 'it' but you can't see why an 'it' should be called God, then you've forgotten what the premise entailed.

Jillswift wrote:

The word "god" carries with it suggestions of creatorship, intelligent  intent, and the like.

So does the word 'human' but that would seem not to be how it works. (aside: please don't mistake this for a zombie argument, if it looks like a zombie argument read the page I linked again)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, a cool teacher,

Eloise, a cool teacher,  can occasionally confuse me, but I have yet to think her philosophy "wrong". God is always a science question with philosophical summations. Traditional religion is dogmatic idol worship from fear of life ( or god )  ..... 

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:So you get that

Eloise wrote:
So you get that God is an 'it' but you can't see why an 'it' should be called God, then you've forgotten what the premise entailed.
Not forgotten, but I get this idea I didn't understand it. Can you re-iterate?

Eloise wrote:
So does the word 'human' but that would seem not to be how it works. (aside: please don't mistake this for a zombie argument, if it looks like a zombie argument read the page I linked again)
No, the word "human" doens't mean those things like the word "god" does. But before we head off on that one, I need to hear the premise again, if that's ok.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Can't speak for Eloise, but

Can't speak for Eloise, but the premise for me is 'god is everything, all is 100% god.' This is why I have no "religion" per say ..... The message of "ONE".

Science dissects math model , Philosophy reassembles linguistically, Religion  Separates and idolizes.

S=d  P=r  R=i  = god as known by earthlings   

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:JillSwift

HisWillness wrote:

JillSwift wrote:

I thought Rembrandt Smile, Mona Lisa pose, I didn't think too hard about the colours I just went for a classical feel because it made sense to the original. But I knew you guys would get it Sticking out tongue cool.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Eloise, so clever, more

Eloise, so clever, more comedy please, kind teacher .... this drinks on you ! 

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:You're

Kevin R Brown wrote:
You're crazy. You're a fucked-up lunatic. You should be put in a straight jacket and heavily medicated for the rest of your life.

To borrow from Poe, "True, nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been, and am.  Why, then would you say that I am mad?  The disease has sharpened my senses, not dulled them or destroyed them."

Quote:
Just so everybody is clear; you actually agree; putting a rusty nail through a cracker (it is not a 'host', 'Eucharist', anything other than a flour and water based wafer, and I don't give a shit if you have 'faith' it's anything else. It isn't, and such can be empirically evidenced) is an offense worthy of terminating someone's career.

Oh yes, we're crystal clear.  The University of Minnesota and I are in perfect agreement as to how bigotry should be handled.  The days of "Catholics and Irish need not apply" should be far behind us.  But rabid anti-Catholicism, it seems, is alive and well and living in Morris.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:If it's a

MattShizzle wrote:
If it's a State University then it is in effect the government.

Even worse.  Professor Myers is displaying bigotry against Catholics as an agent of the State.  Is religious bias the policy of the State of Minnesota?

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II