Contradicting Christians (blasphemy challenge not sin/sin)

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Contradicting Christians (blasphemy challenge not sin/sin)

Christian#1 wrote:
A Christian CANNOT commit the unpardonable sin. Romans 8:1 states “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Only an unbeliever can commit the unpardonable sin, and many do. If a Christian commits suicide, they still go to Heaven....

They HAVE committed the unpardonable sin by deliberately rejecting Jesus Christ. They have DENIED the Holy Spirit. They have blasphemed the conviction of the Holy Spirit. They are not ignorant, but have full knowledge of the sin they are committing.

http://onetruegod.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/the-unpardonable-sin/

Christian#2 wrote:
So the great irony, based on what the Bible teaches, is that this sin cannot be committed by one who considers himself an atheist!

http://www.challies.com/archives/articles/the-blasphemy-c.php

Someone should inform the first guy that he needs to increase his level of dishonest argumentation if he's ever gonna fit in with the best Christianity has to offer.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The blasphemy challenge has

The blasphemy challenge has been out more than a year and a half and still the same shit.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I agree. I liked #1 all the

I agree. I liked #1 all the way up until he said that you HAVE committed it. That does not fit with what he said previously. I can see where #2 is coming from but it doesnt say why anyone would want to do that.

I still think people taking the blasphemy challenge is a good thing. Its better than pretending you believe what you dont, just to look good. There is no way to know who has committed it because they might choose to not reject the holy spirit later. We all reject the holy spirit to certain levels, but letting the spirit in is necessary for salvation.

The other aspect is losing your salvation after you have once had it. I think the best christian theology would say probably not. If deeds could make you lose it, then deeds could make you get it. Now, the only other reasonable (hate to use that word here) theology would be that you could throw away your salvation but not lose it. You could consciously say I believe it but I dont want it anymore. Some would put you all in this category, but I dont agree with that either. You are saying we dont believe this so take the challenge to show you dont believe it. Thats very different then we believe it but just dont want it anymore. And a lot of people just think its a cool idea to take the challenge.

I guess I can see where both sides are coming from now (not #1 though). There is no definitive answer accepted as orthodox christian belief on this. I think its unlikely that you could even throw away your salvation. Once youre in, you might not like it, but you are stuck with it. (And the catholic teaching of losing your salvation because you didnt have time to confess your mortal sin is a very poor mental model that is the farthest from the approximate truth, whatever that is.) But theoretically if you grow to hate God more and more, maybe it is for believers only. But its hard to say what we really believe. Maybe we dont believe what we think we do. Maybe that hate is just a masquerade for something else.

But either way, thats not you guys. Taking the Blasphemy Challenge is like Michael saying "I declare bankruptcy" in The Office. It just doesnt make it so.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
If we want to blaspheme and

If we want to blaspheme and go to hell, but god doesn't let us because 'once saved always saved' isn't he violating free will?

Also, why is it so hard to go to hell? When I was christian I was terrified of ending up there, now they're all telling me I'm going to heaven like it or not.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What happens if we get to

What happens if we get to heaven and raise hell ?(ok bad pun)  You know, when god says to serve him telling him to fuck off and shit. Or getting drunk all the time. On the other hand, what if we all wind up in the FSM heaven - you know beer volcano and stripper factory?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:If we want to

Loc wrote:

If we want to blaspheme and go to hell, but god doesn't let us because 'once saved always saved' isn't he violating free will?

Also, why is it so hard to go to hell? When I was christian I was terrified of ending up there, now they're all telling me I'm going to heaven like it or not.

These are good questions. If you really want to be separated from God, God will not make you serve him. But if you once did want to serve him, and now you dont, its not clear to me that you never will again. Just because we think we want something doesnt mean we really do.

By our choosing salvation, we relinquish our free will freely (although some would say due to threat of hell I didnt feel that way.) I am making a conscious decision that I will start allowing God to make whatever changes necessary to prepare me for heaven. I will be slowly stripped of things like my desires to sin, selfishness, etc.  In this life, I could try to choose to "take it back" but I dont think it would work. I would have to try harder than I would want to to throw away my salvation.

And after death there could be a final purgation of whatever sinful character remains. Unfortunately, that teaching drifted into selling indulgences for a reduced time in a purgatory which is a pretty messed up mental model for christianity. The idea originally had merit and makes sense to prepare those who are going to serve God for eternity.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:What

MattShizzle wrote:

What happens if we get to heaven and raise hell ?(ok bad pun)  You know, when god says to serve him telling him to fuck off and shit. Or getting drunk all the time. On the other hand, what if we all wind up in the FSM heaven - you know beer volcano and stripper factory?

Thats the part we are giving up our free will on. We just wont want to do it. But, although its hard to believe, the pleasure from doing good shit all the time will far outweigh any of that stuff you are giving up.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry BRIAN

Sorry Brian;   I am far too much an athiest.   I can not in sound conscience commit blasphamy simply because it would show a flicker of belief in something I have absolutely NO belief in, (Not a fuckin' flicker of it).   

I know without doubt there is no god,   never was  anything   but someones imagination about a  god   and I  can easily laugh at anyone who thinks otherwise.  If this is blasphamy then it is only by a religios definition, not by any definition of a rational,  sane, responsible human adult.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
On a related note has anyone

On a related note has anyone gotten today or recently a comment or their video by someone with a screenname like "spreadingthegoodnews" asking if they could prove god not using faith or the bible would you believe? I did and replied if it was real proof and not old apologetics bullshit or language tricks. Their response was that shit about buildings and builders, paintings and painters therefore creation and creator. Also the nonsense about the wind. I of course tore it apart and told them it was an epic fail.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Next was the "you know

Next was the "you know there's really a god" conscience proves god, you wouldn't be arguing against there being a god if there wasn't one and finally the something must have happened bad to you to make you an atheist. I told them to read some more and invited them here. This is like a boxing match between Lennox Lewis and PeeWee Herman.

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Did that same schmuck stick

Did that same schmuck stick a banana in his mouth while Kirk Cameron watched lustfully?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't think it was Ray

I don't think it was Ray Comfort. They did get upset my my language because I called it "bullshit" and "shit." Which is actually very mild for me.