Where is the evidence for Atheism?

Llama
Theist
Llama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where is the evidence for Atheism?

*poke, poke.. oh look I still exist, I haven't been discommunicated by lord pissant “Deluded God” who injects new rules to the forums and declare himself “Thy petty e-peen Lord”, Bleeeat!

They Deluded God commands:

I bring to thee a hypothesis I fancy over all others. Believe in what I say if not you are lost! I will banish thee from these Forums if thy are a unbeliever.

Thanks Deludedgod I rather listen to the scientific community who favors other more plausible hypothesis.

To the point at hoof. Is there any evidence to material origin? I hear many times atheism is a lack of belief. This is true but not full truth because to not believe in god created universe then the only alternative thing to believe is in naturally created universe. Where is the evidence for naturally created universe?

We don't know what caused the BB so you can assume material or immaterial creation so it's a leap of faith you have to make because there isn't any physical evidence for either one. This is why I also think Atheism is a faith because it's not supported by evidence.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Llama wrote:God is not an

Llama wrote:

God is not an idea it's a revelation.

What was revealed?

Quote:
This is Theology and I don't want to get distracted in it but to dispel your stawman.

Explain how it is a strawman.

Quote:
 We had ideas of Gods before, Zeus, Thor, Spaghetti monster, they are all ridiculous characatures of man or nature and in one case.... food. That all reeks of fable and stories but God is no characature because he is no invention of man he revealed himself to us through Jesus.

Prove it.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Llama wrote:God

aiia wrote:

Llama wrote:

God is not an idea it's a revelation.

What was revealed?

Quote:
This is Theology and I don't want to get distracted in it but to dispel your stawman.

Explain how it is a strawman.

Quote:
 We had ideas of Gods before, Zeus, Thor, Spaghetti monster, they are all ridiculous characatures of man or nature and in one case.... food. That all reeks of fable and stories but God is no characature because he is no invention of man he revealed himself to us through Jesus.

Prove it.

It's a big special plead - all the gods are constructs of men except for mine.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline

Llama wrote:

God is not an idea it's a revelation. This is Theology and I don't want to get distracted in it but to dispel your stawman. We had ideas of Gods before, Zeus, Thor, Spaghetti monster, they are all ridiculous characatures of man or nature and in one case.... food. That all reeks of fable and stories but God is no characature because he is no invention of man he revealed himself to us through Jesus. Man always had an instinct that there is more to existence then flesh and earth until God revealed himself man tried his best to express this instinct through many different religions and man made ideas of God.

And Jesus belief is simply one more. I agree with the Jews he was a false messiah. But that is theology and so was your bleet above.

Llama wrote:

If you see Atheism as merely an alternative to a unproven hypothesis (theism) then your Atheism is just as unproven as Theism. Because I don't see evidence for one hypothesis doesn't mean my opposite alternate hypothesis is therefor true, I will need to present evidence for my hypothesis. I argued against other posters that sometimes there are only two choices or options like the universe was created either by blind dead forces or by a living intelligence here I suppose you agree with me it can only be two choices by your argument. You chose Atheism not Theism because there is no third choice and you chose Atheism but according to your argument if Theism isn't true then I have no other choice but Atheism this was essentially your argument.

You're not a llama you're a mule. Hee Haw. I say this because you are stubborn in your view with blinders on your eyes so you can't see reality.

Last time:

The Mule says: there is a god.

The atheist says: Show me.

The mule says: I can't, just believe me.

The atheist says: I don't believe you or any of your ancient writings by savages who were ignorant of the physical world. I want proof.

The mule says: You have faith.

Llama wrote:

Again if you say you don't need to present any evidence for Atheism to be true then I say to you it's a faith. To believe in Atheism with out evidence is to have faith in it being true and this logic can't be escaped. If you can't produce evidence for Atheism but still want to believe in it then that's your choice, it's your faith and I can respect that but what I can't respect is the lie you try to sell as truth which is Atheism is true and Theism is false, when you make a claim like let's hear your proof.

Again mister mule, if you are charged with a crime say eating apples from a fruit stand and no one comes forward with any proof there can be no charge or claim.

The claim - The mule ate the apples.

The evidence - apples were missing or the clerk can't count and this mule was standing there. No one saw the mule eat the apples. There were no apple drippings coming from the mule's mouth. There were no apple pieces on the ground by the mule.

The result - no charge as this is no evidence.

Or this:

The mule is running down a road at 50 in a 55 speed limit. He is not stopped for speeding. He is not charged with a crime. There is no evidence that he was breaking traffic laws, littering maybe but we'll ignore the poop.

Or this:

The mule is in Los Angles. Someone in London dies. The mule has never been to London. He doesn't know anyone in England. There is no evidence the mule is involved and so he is not charged.

*edit* Added this:

The point is if I deny your claim and say I don't believe it's not faith. In all cases he that makes a claim must prove it. If he has no proof it is on faith. There is no such thing as faith in not believing.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I smell sulphur, the devil

I smell sulphur, the devil is lurking in this thread. Your idol stinks bad Llama. My atheist Jesus is not pleased with you. When we care, as we should, we don't let people or friends off the hook for wrong thinking and behavior. .... and Jesus said scorning Peter "get behind me satan" .....

Why worship and make gawed an idol, separate from yourself, Llama ??? "Have no god before me."  What the heck is god? ....what isn't god? And god answered Moses in his head, tell them "I am what I AM" ....> I AM <> I AM <  .... You are gawed .... NO  to god idols. SIMPLE .... The simple "good word" is atheism, zero superstition. Keep the awe, drop the dogma.

That bible story Jesus is sure messed up, but you can pull some basic common wisdom sense from it .... well some can.  Good luck, you are the christ ! Bible Paul is perhaps the worst simple Jesus message deceiver of all ....

Llama, you might enjoy exploring this caring guys many audio tapes and vids. My only objection so far with him is when he hints to a "purpose of life", but thats just me nit picking. He's pretty cool. I hope you will appreciate him Llama ....

Neale Donald Walsch - Who is God - 5 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCeSlAvzvCQ

Neale Donald Walsch Discusses The Emotion Of Fear - 8 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA4HwFHiYyA&feature=related

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
A 'revelation' is still a

A 'revelation' is still a mental experience, and as such can never be proved to be a 'real' revelation, a 'real' communication from a supernatural entity. All we can have is an internal experience in our mind, which in itself can never be 'proof' that the content of the 'revelation' is not a delusion, no matter how convincing it feels - that conviction that it must be 'real' is just another feeling, which can be just a much mistaken as any other thought arising in our finite and imperfect minds.

The actual existence of Jesus' himself is far from a certainty. The incredible arrogance of anyone clinging to one religion to claim that theirs is manifestly the only 'true' one, when they should be aware of competing claims with every bit as much justification form personal 'revelation', is breathtaking.

To then accuse scientists and atheists of arrogance when they profess 'we don't know' is speaks of the truly twisted thought processes that the dedicated believer is capable of, indeed requires in order to maintain their position in the face of reality.

Anyway God cannot be an ultimate explanation for the origin of the universe, since he is even greater tan the universe, and presumably, by your 'logic' requires an even greater explanation for His origin.

Whereas systematic observation ('Science') shows us that causes do NOT need to be greater that what they initiate, so 'first cause' need only be the most infinitesimal twitch in a base level energy field or whatever you may imagine is the minimum state of existence. Quantum theory seems to show that we can never have perfect emptiness and stillness, and a twitch which just happens to be big enough to cross some threshhold which initiates a Big Bang style Universe 'creating' event is all that is conceptually required.

Any assumption that conscious beings can only be initiated by even grander consciousnesses is a logical hole.

The 'anthropic principle' is a faulty concept based on massive assumptions about just what would be a plausible range over which any of the fundamental properties of the universe could vary, without which any assignment of probability is impossible. Also most commentators have only considered the effect of varying such 'constants' one at a time. When researchers have investigated the possibility of some combination of different values being compatible with a Universe lasting long enough and having some analogue of stars and planets, compatible with emergence of something we would see as an intelligent life form, things look nowhere near as unlikely. Considering the current sketchy state of our understanding of possibilities wildly different from our present 'Universe', there almost certainly exist even more possible 'Universes' in which 'life' could emerge.

So you, llama, are the arrogant deluded one, to imagine that everyone not sharing your particular world-view, whether atheist or believers in some alternative supernaturalism, must be deluded. In some ways, the ancient Gods of Greece were more plausible than your idea of an infinite omnipotent being.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline

Llama wrote:

God is not an idea it's a revelation. This is Theology and I don't want to get distracted in it but to dispel your stawman. We had ideas of Gods before, Zeus, Thor, Spaghetti monster, they are all ridiculous characatures of man or nature and in one case.... food. That all reeks of fable and stories but God is no characature because he is no invention of man he revealed himself to us through Jesus. Man always had an instinct that there is more to existence then flesh and earth until God revealed himself man tried his best to express this instinct through many different religions and man made ideas of God.

If you see Atheism as merely an alternative to a unproven hypothesis (theism) then your Atheism is just as unproven as Theism. Because I don't see evidence for one hypothesis doesn't mean my opposite alternate hypothesis is therefor true, I will need to present evidence for my hypothesis. I argued against other posters that sometimes there are only two choices or options like the universe was created either by blind dead forces or by a living intelligence here I suppose you agree with me it can only be two choices by your argument. You chose Atheism not Theism because there is no third choice and you chose Atheism but according to your argument if Theism isn't true then I have no other choice but Atheism this was essentially your argument.

Again if you say you don't need to present any evidence for Atheism to be true then I say to you it's a faith. To believe in Atheism with out evidence is to have faith in it being true and this logic can't be escaped. If you can't produce evidence for Atheism but still want to believe in it then that's your choice, it's your faith and I can respect that but what I can't respect is the lie you try to sell as truth which is Atheism is true and Theism is false, when you make a claim like let's hear your proof.

HAHAHA are you retarded lama ?

GOD = ZEUS , FSM , JESUS ……

And stop using words you don’t understand like “god” and believe me Zeus for the ancients really represent a god more real then your sectarian Christian  nonsense . However I don’t think you are going to respond to my posts because you are just a troll.
And really no one can be so retarded and stil be able to hit the “replay” button. First he rants that we are presenting a false dilemma and in the next sentence he  posts  (god or random forces)  his false dilemma. Ether lama is retarded or he is a troll.

To your binary choices :
Here is your explanation for the origin of the universe (I don’t believe this however this makes the theists SHUT THE FUCK UP) “At the end of the universe and time humans use their technology to reverse time and the state of the universe and all the atoms time travel an the moment of the big bang ” Here you go you have a humanistic creation of the universe via intelligence ka boom disprove this HAHAHAHA. Without the understanding of the burden of proof this explanation is equal or even more possible then your god bullshit because god disproves himself.

You can not disprove this and if you invoke the burden of proof it disproves your god you  are in a no win situation I have counter you assumption with my assumption.

How about if the light bulb explodes if I flip the switch ???? Its possible ! And here you have a 3 possibility that you didn’t include don’t you feel stupid now for  asking this  question ?

Coins how about if the coin stops on its middle ?? Or it stops in mid air rotating at the speed of light ???? Or the coin disintegrates upon flipping ????? Don’t you feel retarded for asking this question ?

O lama remember there is no atheism or theism dilemma who about pantheism or deism ? Maybe god created the universe and then disintegrated ?

My evidence for gods non existence Hmm I’m a gnostic atheist  so you have found a worthy opponent first of all god disproves himself if you give him omni attributes and present him for the eternal creator makes the god concept ridiculously impossible and nonexistent !

I repeat so you understand

GOD disproves himself
GOD disproves himself
GOD disproves himself
GOD disproves himself
GOD disproves himself
GOD disproves himself

If you are going to debate this go here

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/15031

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

Llama
Theist
Llama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hey, Llama or Pulp or

Quote:
Hey, Llama or Pulp or ____ (fill in your own third option),

It would appear BMcD came to kick ass and chew gum... 

looks like he was all out of gum.

Bleeeat!

Quote:
Hey hypocrite you called deludedgod a piss ant and you ignored the point, deludedgod is very much a part of the scientific community.

A hypocrite is a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings. I never said I won't insult some one nor am I against it, it just takes a lot to make me turn to anger. Llamas are very peaceable, loving, patient and furry individuals. I also owe deludedgod a few more insults to match his to mine maybe I'll cash them in maybe I won't. I never said deludedgod was not part of the scientific community I said he supports a rather unpopular hypothesis that doesn't make him go against his peers.

Quote:
You have YET to demonstrate that you are even capable of doing simple arithmetic.

1+1=2

Quote:
Who turned your computer on for you?

Electrons

Bleeeat!

Llama
Theist
Llama's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Llama

aiia wrote:

Llama wrote:

*poke, poke.. oh look

Aiia that picture of me and your mom mating is a beautiful act of nature, how dare you post sexy times of Llama! Wait.. that's the time of you conception, look here is your baby pic...

Bleeeat!

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
No shitballIt is appearant

No shitball

It is appearant that you are fucking another llama.

Oh wait no. You are the brown one, right? My error.

So answer my question insane one. Where's your proof for your imaginary friend you call gawd?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

mysticriver
User is offlineOffline
Being an atheist: Do you have to reject philosophy?

I'd love to find a bunch of people who want to understand as much as possible, in the broadest way (and in the details), the nature of what we are, and why we are and where we are, people who would agree that the Big Bang and all that it spawned is unquestionably best examined by the rules of science. However, they would know there is more to understanding the universe than hypothesis tested by hard data. There are things we can say about the nature of things before the big bang. There was Being, and we know something about Being. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
mysticriver wrote:I'd love

mysticriver wrote:

I'd love to find a bunch of people who want to understand as much as possible, in the broadest way (and in the details), the nature of what we are, and why we are and where we are, people who would agree that the Big Bang and all that it spawned is unquestionably best examined by the rules of science. However, they would know there is more to understanding the universe than hypothesis tested by hard data. There are things we can say about the nature of things before the big bang. There was Being, and we know something about Being. 

Huh?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah mysicriver , I even

Yeah mysicriver  , I even like science fiction, but I truly despise religious dogma when preached as authority as special knowledge of the force of what all existence is .... Fuck all idol worshipers ....  those telling anyone to bow to their dogma idol or be forever condemned. I have no respect for idols. I AM GOD, period. If you are not also god, that's your problem, and I do care about your serious confusion .... So here I am, god in your face !   LOL  

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Seriously lama isn&rsquo;t

Seriously lama isn’t trying to answer normally anymore . Seriously lama is a troll he will waist our time and post nonsense to piss us off.

To mysicriver how do you assume there is something ant this something is a being ? Do you understand the concepts and mechanisms of a being and consciousness (O I feel so dirty for saying this) ? Well I might interest you in neuro-psychology or in artificial intelligence or programming. And I can assure you after understanding programmable systems or the assembly of the human brain you realize that you don’t really exist nether exists south a concept like “being” we are simple functioning mechanisms and if you start understanding how you can assemble and manipulate them you comprehend why a being without the write software and memorizing computability’s is impossible and will never function.

Or maybe you screech in the internet for a chat bot ? It’s a program capable of having a conversation with you seminal to a human and I have seen humans who are les intelligent or comprehensible then chat bots so even if there is a magical ghost its definitely not in humans.

After you understand this you will understand why there is no gost in the machine and we all are simple nanobotic  machines.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mysticriver wrote:I'd love

mysticriver wrote:

And just what do you mean by "being"?

There is nothing we can say with any confidence whatever about "the nature of things before the big bang". or even if it is meaningful to refer to "before the Big Bang". We need some data, not necessarily "hard" data, but something outside our our own thoughts, to say anything other than the empty semantic word-play of metaphysics.

Some ideas about the Big Bang imply a true "singularity", which would totally block us from any hint of the origin. Others hypothesize that it was not quite a true singularity, that there may be some hint as to the origin of the Big Bang event.

We have speculation, inspired by extrapolation from current theories and observations, such as string theory, m-theory, etc.

Or we have pure speculation, as in philosophy, or very impure speculation based on certain unsupported presuppositions, that we call Theology.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Llama
Theist
Llama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:String theory is

Quote:
String theory is absolutely not the leading contender. It has made exactly zero currently-testable predictions. String theory started as a simple explanation for quantum mechanics, and has turned into a quagmire of unresolved problems. To top it off, there isn't even a single "string theory;" there are multiple string theories.

ST is merely the best-funded contender. It currently has no more ontological status than vacuum theory, or the relative state formulation, or any of the dozens of other contenders.

In any case, string theory is more about the universe as it is now, and not about the universe as it was initially formed, during the first few attoseconds of the universe. That's like trying to use the theory of evolution through natural selection to discuss the formation of the first self-replicating molecule.

As you are trying to use science as a foundation for a logical proposition, I suggest you learn at least a little bit about the philosophy of the scientific method, and the specifics of the hypothesis you wish to use in your arguments.

Finally, simply by having at hand several hypothesis for the initial formation of the universe is sufficient to destroy any "belief." We can now make the assumption that the universe was formed in a naturalistic fashion.

Otherwise, you have to invent something that has never been observed, has never caused an event that has been observed, nor has in any other fashion been seen to operate within the universe. So, you can use one of a plethora of naturalistic hypothesis, or you can create a supernatural being to explain what is otherwise perfectly explicable.

Your choice.

The only reason why I say Membranes are the leading contender for an explanation of our Universe origin is because String Theory is the only theory I know of that is a unifying theory. String Theory encompases the classical universe and the quantum world into a working formula that makes accurate predictions to both scales and it also solves the gravity problem on the micro scale. Membranes are predicted by String Theory so I go with it. September 10th we will see if String Theory is just fancy math or at least more credible. The CERN accelerator should on the 10th conduct it's first test and smash two particles so the bits come flying out. If the BOSON is detected for a brief moment in time then String Theory is proven that it's not just fancy math but can make real world predictions that are testable. BOSONS are also predicted by String Theory. Any ways we shall see.

About the self replicating magically mutating molecule is the hypothesis Richardo Dawkins likes to use. It's the reductionists dream or shall I say fantasy. This self replicating mutator was suppose to evolve out of chemical evolution. This rife is hard to swallow I know and I don't buy it for a moment but I just wanted to correct you here. The self replicating mutating molecule hypothesis is part of the evolutionary theory of natural selection. Membranes are predicted by String Theory and membranes can be any size including sizes so huge or small they are impossible to fathom with the human mind. Sizes huge enough to easily give rise to many many universes with each ultra dimensional collision of the undulating waves of the Membranes surface.

If we find the cause to the effect we name the Universe that only raises 1 more question.. where did the cause come from. If the cause is material then it itself is an effect to another cause. As long as you keep evoking material explanations to our Universe you will never escape the infinite regress because all physical things need causes. To put a stop to this fallacy you need to transcend the material because only the immaterial is eternal and thus with out a cause, eternal things never had a beginning so it never had or needed a cause to explain itself. Wrap your brain around that one.

Like I said our true God was not an invention and he was observed through Jesus Christ. This is what seperates Christianity from other false religions other religions are about works and blind faith. Christianity is about grace and evidence based faith. God revealed himself but not in such a way that demands your loyalty to him the same way gravity demands your attention. The whole purpose of life is to find your own way through it and learn lessons from it and to find and love God not to have that love forced on you by overbearing proofs of his existence or else it defeats the purpose of living on Earth our boot camp for our soul.

No evidence for Atheism has been present here in this response it wasn't even discussed. I'm asking for evidence for Atheism and we are getting off topic. Atheist 0 – Llama 1

Bleeeat!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Only because you refuse to

Only because you refuse to look at what's been given to you so you can claim victory.

Atheists exist - evidence for Atheism.

Theists exist - evidence for Theism (not the gods behind them).

Evidence for the nonexistence of God/gods - He is conspicuous by his absence.

Your turn, camelid.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
You have presented NO

You have presented NO evidence for the reality of your God or even Jesus. Naked assertions don't count.

'Revelation' is just another word for an idea, we can never establish that some idea actually justifies that description until we see if it actually 'works', ie actually provides us with real novel insights into the universe, ie external (outside our heads) EVIDENCE.

DNA and RNA molecules DO mutate and replicate - no magic there -  this is direct observation. Simpler systems cannot be ruled out by your lack of understanding of the science. The components of these molecules (amino acids) have been observed to occur naturally. Therefore no magic required for abiogenesis, even if we don't know the detailed sequence - nothing in the minimal steps required requires magic , UNLIKE the Theist position.

Even if there is something to your un-substantiated claim that the ultimate 'cause' of everything must be something that has always existed - 'time' is probably more complex dimension than that - you have presented zero evidence that it needs to be anything more than some sort of minimal energy field, randomly manifesting as virtual entities (particles), as pointed to by Quantum Theory and the Uncertainty Principle. IOW 'consciousness' of any kind NOT REQUIRED. Randomness is the ultimate creative principle, filtered thru the constraints of some set of physical 'laws', analogous to the laws of logic, which flow from minimal principles like the 'law of non-contradiction'. Complexity easily arises from simplicity, in fact without a 'simple' set of ground rules, it is hard to build coherent structures. Try building a house if all the bricks are different shapes.

Random mutation of small set of underlying elements, such as DNA composed of four elementary building blocks, filtered thru the constraints of the environment, eg "Natural Selection", seems be a deeply significant model of how truly novel solutions to problems like that of survival and reproduction of living organisms, far surpassing what conscious analysyis of the problem can produce. Even we resort to the 'brainstorming' model when seeking to come up with truly novel solution

This absence of evidence, your failure to support your position with anything more than such unsupported claims, is all the evidence required for us to assert the reasonableness of the Atheist position, namely that there is no reason to believe in a God.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
from the OP:Where is the

from the OP:

Where is the evidence for naturally created universe?

Answer: ALL AROUND US!!

We see complex organisms growing from tiny seeds, thru a traceable series of natural processes. We see examples of the formation and evolution of stars.

We do NOT see them popping into existence from nothing, ie 'created' by mysterious 'non-physical' processes.

The Theist has the task for demonstrating why this plain observation is false.

Llama
Theist
Llama's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Bid deal! So what if

Quote:
Bid deal! So what if the universe had a creator or not. The problem then would be to decide which one. The naturalistic origins of the universe is not important to many atheists, including myself. If someone claims that a magic book, written hundreds of years ago, says the universe was created in one day and modern astronomy casts doubt on the scenario I believe the first in wrong and not the latter. Besides if god can stand alone and assuming it is more complex than the universe then why can't the universe exist unto itself as well?

It's not up to us to decide which one, this isn't “Let's make a deal”. God had already revealed himself to us through different ways. You will find most atheists will disagree with you, believing in naturalistic origins is the very crux of an atheists belief system. I'm not concerned about biblical scriptures, I know astrology is correct and honest. The 7 days of creation can be interpreted in many ways and only fundamentalists on both sides of the atheist, theist camp will read it literally. The 7 days could have easily been a metaphore for an ancient people who had no concept of deep time. The old why can't the Universe be eternal is an old childish whine made by ignorant atheists. The Universe has an age at it's about 13.8 billion years old, that is not eternal. The second law of thermo dynamics states that the Universe is ever increasing into a disordered state or to say the Universe is exhausting it's finite supply of useable energy this means the Universe can't be eternal or it would have exhausted it's energy an infinity ago in the past.

No evidence for Atheism was giving here by the poster. Ridicule mixed in with false facts doesn't prove any thing.

Quote:
You were talking about beliefs, Alpaca. I can "believe" something, or admit I don't know and not believe anything. I'm not limited to having to believe something. I lack a belief in god. That makes me an atheist. Here's a hint for the dim witted camelids reading: There's a subtle but important difference between having no belief in god, and believing there is no god.

If you want to force me into choosing between material and immaterial, lama glama, fine: Material origin. Why? Because there's no such thing as immaterial. It's what the word means, after all.

Remember: The non-existent looks a lot like the immaterial.

What ever you want to believe Atheism means to you I don't care, I only care when you tell me your Atheism is true and my Theism is false, then I say to you show me your evidence that leads to this proof and you demonstrated none. So if you say Atheism is you faith then I say “cool” but if you say Atheism is fact then I say “show me the evidence”.

“Because there's no such thing as immaterial” that is an easily disproven presumption. Shall I direct you to your thoughts and consciousness? How about if I point your attention to a Photon? What about gravity and all the other immaterial forces that glue our Universe together? Immaterial means to be with out matter, it doesn't mean to be fantasy.

Some people believe UFO's (presumed alien spacecraft) exists and some don't. This is up for debate and there is incredible evidence captured on film but whatever was captured on film was clearly not immaterial. Immaterial does not mean make believe.

Quote:
Llama "This thread I started is not about a discussion of theology" ~~~

Oh really , how not ???? 

Pretty simple, I asked for the evidence for Atheism not to discuss God and religion.

Quote:
*yawn*... because I don't need evidence for atheism.  My atheism is the lack of a belief in a creator.  Nothing else.  By asking for evidence of atheism you're actually asking for proof that god doesn't exist, there's no two bones about it.  Unfortunately for you this argument has come up a million times before.  You can't prove a negative.  The burden of proof lies with the claimant to establish evidence for their claim.  If there is no evidence for the claim, in this case the existance of god, then it is safe to assume that the claim is untrue.

I can't see and haven't been shown any evidence for god's existance.  Thus I am an atheist.

“because I don't need evidence for atheism” BINGO! THANK YOU! Finally an honest answer. This logical conclusion can't be escaped.. to believe in something with out the evidence is faith, blind faith. You can try and weasel your way around it with buts and personally claimed exemptions but your only entitled to your opinions not to your own facts.

If Atheism is true then one would expect to see more evidence for it being true. A Godless Universe should be ripe with evidence of it's godlessness. Your demand of proof for Atheism is so weak it's not even allowed in a Court of Law. No prosecutor (at least here in America) can present a case on the premise of a lack of evidence to prove the case he is making. Try and let this be your thesis on a paper your doing on whatever, it would go something like this...

“There for I have proven Thing A to be true on the lack of evidence for Thing B”

Negatives being unprovable is an old lie. I can make many negative claims and prove then to be true for example. “There has never been a female USA president” That's a negative claim yet I can prove to you that negative claim is true. Also I can simple turn it around on you and use your own logical fallacy against you, for example “There is no evidence for a Godless created Universe” That's a negative claim and since according to you I can't disprove negative claims therefor I conclude “The Universe must have been created by God”. This is your illogical conclusion just turned around. I hope you see the fallacy of your argument.

Also you can't have your cake and eat it too. How can you make an Atheistic claim and not be burdened to prove it?

PS – Finely Tuned Universe is evidence for our Universe created for a purpose and that purpose is intelligent life.

PSS – Of course with no evidence at all you will dismiss that claim and rely on science fiction instead and claim multiple Universes... what ever.

Bleeeat!

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Geezz Llama and all idol

Geezz Llama and all idol worshipers, and all non-idol worshipers ... why not call g-o-d "AWE" and leave it at that???  "GAWED" will always be, but surly all that are half rational agree that idol worship patriotism that divides humanity is wrong.

This arguing, "god is, god ain't", is like a merry go round that leads no where. Gawed is simply existence, fuck all idols. This is why I rant the way I do, me 100% gawed.

Religion is poison, wisdom pollution ....  

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I claim a lack of

If I claim a lack of evidence for God, which is the basic 'claim' of the Atheist, then that claim can only be countered by providing some evidence FOR God.

It's that simple.

So Llama, where is it? It really is up to you now.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
We do not claim the Universe

We do not claim the Universe that we observe since the Big Bang has persisted forever, altho it may well persist indefinitely into the future. Your denial that there is any evidence for the Big Bang is merely an indicator of your abysmal ignorance.

Whether whatever preceded the Big Bang was an earlier version of this Universe, we don't know.

There is no conflict with Thermodynamics in the subsequent history of the universe as we observe it.

Whatever preceded/initiated the Big Bang, whether it truly a singularity, these are almost purely speculative, altho based on extrapolation from established theoretical frameworks.

The most extreme violation of Thermodynamic Principles would be a God Creator. There is no justification for imagining such an entity, so completely inconsistent with anything we have observed or could observe (infinite, omnipotent, eternal, etc). It is the naive assumption that conscious entities or just complexity can only arise from 'higher' consciousness or complexity that is simply unworkable and unnecessary.

EDIT: it would be the height of intellectual arrogance to assume that the ultimate nature of reality was something so manifestly the product of the finite imagination of the human mind as 'Super' version of a father figure, with the vacuous concepts of omnipotence, omniscience, etc attached to it, based on the retarded concept of 'revelation', the ultimate in circular fallacies, effectively asserting that - "I am convinced this thought must be a real intuition from God because it is so convincing". Whatever lies behind the world we perceive, it is unlikely to be anything like whatever speculations have been made to date. The wierdness of Quantum Mechanics should teach us this.

The insights into, and sometimes the exquisite mathematical elegance combined with ultimate incomprehensibility (as with QM),  of reality, as revealed by Science, trumps the childish, primitive speculations of Philosophy, Metaphysics, and Theology. That is true revelation - coming from diligent study of reality, not just thoughts about other thoughts.

EDIT: Trying to extend Thermodynamics arguments to the other side of the BB singularity, is pure guesswork. Even if it does carry thru from whatever 'Universe' or 'Metaverse' the BB 'originated' in, there is still no intrinsic problem, since all that is required is that entropy of an entire closed system cannot decrease. The real problems are with any argument which requires or assumes infinities of any kind, whether of time or space, scientific OR theological, but that deserves another thread.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
 wonko wrote:Hey, Llama or

wonko wrote:
Hey, Llama or Pulp or ____ (fill in your own third option),

It would appear BMcD came to kick ass and chew gum... 

looks like he was all out of gum.

Llama wrote:
Bleeeat!

Hmmm. (scratches behind ear in mild puzzlement)

Llama language a bit thin these days ?

One bleeeat is all I get ?

Hmmm. *further weensy wonderment*

Let's see. My post was #26, camelid's in response was #107...

Geesh... posts sure travel slowly, don't they ?

Long Llama convention this year, camelid???

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:We do not

BobSpence1 wrote:

We do not claim the Universe that we observe since the Big Bang has persisted forever, altho it may well persist indefinitely into the future. Your denial that there is any evidence for the Big Bang is merely an indicator of your abysmal ignorance.

Whether whatever preceded the Big Bang was an earlier version of this Universe, we don't know.

There is no conflict with Thermodynamics in the subsequent history of the universe as we observe it.

Whatever preceded/initiated the Big Bang, whether it truly a singularity, these are almost purely speculative, altho based on extrapolation from established theoretical frameworks.

The most extreme violation of Thermodynamic Principles would be a God Creator. There is no justification for imagining such an entity, so completely inconsistent with anything we have observed or could observe (infinite, omnipotent, eternal, etc). It is the naive assumption that conscious entities or just complexity can only arise from 'higher' consciousness or complexity that is simply unworkable and unnecessary.

EDIT: it would be the height of intellectual arrogance to assume that the ultimate nature of reality was something so manifestly the product of the finite imagination of the human mind as 'Super' version of a father figure, with the vacuous concepts of omnipotence, omniscience, etc attached to it, based on the retarded concept of 'revelation', the ultimate in circular fallacies, effectively asserting that - "I am convinced this thought must be a real intuition from God because it is so convincing". Whatever lies behind the world we perceive, it is unlikely to be anything like whatever speculations have been made to date. The wierdness of Quantum Mechanics should teach us this.

The insights into, and sometimes the exquisite mathematical elegance combined with ultimate incomprehensibility (as with QM),  of reality, as revealed by Science, trumps the childish, primitive speculations of Philosophy, Metaphysics, and Theology. That is true revelation - coming from diligent study of reality, not just thoughts about other thoughts.

All I can say is FUCKING WELL PUT!! However Llama is quite ignorant of the facts and denies any and all evidences for scientific reality. Simply put if it doesn't meet his religious ideas it doesn't mean squat to him. If he would like to be taken seriously he has to consider all the facts with rationality and logic, however he cannot even present proper evidence for his position, just rhetoric and speculation at best. He is like a paisley, always forgoing the facts and evidence that people put forward for his own ignorant stance on the subject. The evidence of the Big bang is backed by the proper predictions that came from that hypothesis as well as the evidence found after the hypothesis was put forward.