MLM scams, work from home scams, and a company called 4life research.

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
MLM scams, work from home scams, and a company called 4life research.

I like taking down pseudo scientific claims especially when they hit this close to home. My mom is very naive and gullible and joined this company called 4life. They make all sorts of "natural" products that are supposed to boost your immune system and provide better health and weight loss. Some go as far as to claim to prevent cancer and have "anti" cancer treatments. To make things worse they require sign up fees and they go by a point system where the morons who sign up have to find other morons to try and sell there placebo products. My mother is religious and I believe because of this she is particularly susceptible to stupid pyramid schemes. This is probably the 3rd or 4th company she joins where they claim you will be rich in a year. I'm tired of people taking advantage of ignorance and making all sorts of ridiculous promises. This is almost as bad as scientology and it needs to stop, what do you guys think? I went to one of there meetings just to see how indoctrinated these people really where. That shit was like a Hitler youth rally, they promised the world to everyone there and the "top" people where relentless in their attempts to convince everyone. Most of the people there where over 30 and probably very religious, they also seemed very ignorant in terms of understanding science. I just took some medicine for my back pain and it's making me really dizzy excuse my poor grammar and punctuation, I'm usually a decent writer.  Check out the website

http://www.4life.com/

Here is there main claim to fame. "Memory molecules." Never heard of that in biology class, although i'm no scientist.

Transfer factors are molecules found within the immune systems of all mammals and birds. Dubbed “the memory molecules,” transfer factors serve as important components of the immune system throughout your entire life.

In 1998, 4Life licensed the patent to extract transfer factors from cow colostrum. In the years that followed, 4Life launched new products, stabilized transfer factors in liquid form, patented the extraction of transfer factors from chicken egg yolks, and combined our two sources for a truly synergistic formula.

vixen strangely
vixen strangely's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think people suffer from a science=magic meme.

And believe that if the claims are assertive enough, and sound authoritative, well goshdarnit--why not? In absence of knowlege, why not think you can take vitamins, and sell vitamins, and not be merely healthy--but super-healthy?

I dislike this con most of all because it preys on the "timor mortis". People don't want to die, and fearing death, they will do stupid stuff.  Even blow a few hundge a month on capsules that make your pee convincingly greener.  I think older people are especially susceptible because of that.

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

--Ben Franklin

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
funknotik wrote:Here is

funknotik wrote:
Here is there main claim to fame. "Memory molecules." Never heard of that in biology class, although i'm no scientist.

Transfer factors are molecules found within the immune systems of all mammals and birds. Dubbed “the memory molecules,” transfer factors serve as important components of the immune system throughout your entire life.

What? Appendix is one of places, where immunity cells gets some sort of "training" so they can better distinguish enemy bacteries. After all, it's connected to the bodily region full of shit.  I never heard about any "memory molecules". If our immunity system would have "memory molecules", then why would we need the appendix, spleen, and system of lymphatic nodes?

These "pyramid games" must be ended, the only who gets ever rich, is a person on the top. It's really worse than scientology, scientologists didn't spread much here, (only 4 churches totally, in 4 greater cities) but these companies are like plague. This scheme is on everything, specially on various healthy stuff, and since revolution, they ripped off many people and created several scandals. Dunno why people didn't understand it yet, whatever the company is, when it has this pyramid structure, then everyone on the bottom (read: you) will be victims.
For example, the accurst David Wagner and his company brainwashing people into buying "tachyonized" junk, which gets untachyonized (whatever it is) soon enough after a sale, so people must go and buy another. It's similar con like european cars, which are precisely designed to break apart after a time period good for market.

Our civil association, among many other activities, ocassionally sells some ecologic inland-made highly efficient washing and cleaning liquids and other sorts of stuff, (on very small scale) but we're not limited by this pyramid scheme of the mentioned companies, we can sell where and what we want. Scammers, on the other side, has their massive brainwashing campaigns and they make someone rich.

Reiki technique is distributed, taught and sold in a similar way. I don't say it's bad or it doesn't work, it works, it's just not the greatest wonder in the world, it's actually relatively low energy, good for beginners who wants to try some spiritual healing and have the money.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anything with the word

Anything with the word "synergy", "synergistic" or any variant thereof usually translates to BULLSHIT.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Anything with the word

Quote:

Anything with the word "synergy", "synergistic" or any variant thereof usually translates to BULLSHIT.

Not necessarily. The term transcriptional synergy is very common in genetics. But it has a real meaning. If we take an activator gene-regulatory protein and its associated gene control region, and artificially attach more of the same modules under the same gene control region, then the transcription rate of that particular gene will rise, but the increase in rate of transcription is greater than the sum increase in transcription rate generated by each activator protein. This holds true for any combinatorial control pattern that activates genes, and is therefore called transcriptional synergy.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Not necessarily. The term transcriptional synergy is very common in genetics. But it has a real meaning. If we take an activator gene-regulatory protein and its associated gene control region, and artificially attach more of the same modules under the same gene control region, then the transcription rate of that particular gene will rise, but the increase in rate of transcription is greater than the sum increase in transcription rate generated by each activator protein. This holds true for any combinatorial control pattern that activates genes, and is therefore called transcriptional synergy.

Notice I said usually. Synergy is often used as a buzzword by motivational corporate speakers, PR people, and marketing droids.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amway, SMC, and all the

Amway, SMC, and all the "realty" scams are designed for one thing, to make the producers of such rich. If you read the fine print "Results may vary".

They are in good company though, the father of all scams is "Indulgences" cooked up by the church in the dark ages.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of the places where the

One of the places where the group of 4life people gather to brainwash each other is actually in church. Pretty funny, it's amazing that they can't see the connection. Some of them claim to have expensive cars, boats , take vacations. They seem to repeat exactly what the recruiters tell them.

Rathpig (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
dead_again wrote:Anything

dead_again wrote:

Yea, when someone is trying to direct market to you, sell a direct marketing "opportunity", or make a "once in a lifetime offer" run like hell. If they use the word "synergy" or a variant, run like hell and don't stop.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
the beauty of MLM's

The best thing about owning an MLM, is if you have someone in your life you are looking to get rid of...

I have a reccuring nightmare where I am stuck in an elevator with a Jehovah's Witness, and Insurance Salesman, and an Amway representative.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mum was into

My mum was into get-rich-quick schemes like Amway and Omegatrend (I think that was it). I went to one of their promotional things with her, it was very evangelical, hype you right up so that you feel the energy of the crowd and sign up type stuff. She kept trying to sign me up. Last time I told her I would sign up after she got rich...

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51