Jesus mythicism will incidentally help against Islam

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus mythicism will incidentally help against Islam

I've been reading Rook's latest article and subsequently Earl Doherty's The Jesus Puzzle. Very entertaining stuff both. It came to mind while reading them that when the case for a purely mythological Jesus is fully developed and played out, this will provide a killer point against the doctrines of Islam, which considers Jesus as a human prophet who lived on Earth but was not the son of God. When the mountains of evidence begin to be compiled and collected into a corpus of articles and books, presenting a nice concise argument, those Muslims who take evidence seriously (there are some) will be forced to consider that the Quran, Mohammed, and Allah are not 100% infallible. Jesus' ahistoricity is a wedge issue that will help inject doubt into Islam.

I've always considered that one of the best ways to argue against Islam is to show that a humans are fallible, and even if the Quran is infallible, a human's interpretation of it is NOT. So, even if Mohammed was god's greatest prophet and the Quran an accurate record of his sayings, that does not show that the muslim's interpretation of the Quran is infallible. But with a strong case for Jesus being a myth, you have a much stronger wedge than this, namely that the Quran itself is not infallible in the first place.

I'm not a Quran scholar by any means. But does anyone know of particular passages in the Quran or hadith or whatever that claim that Jesus is real? I seem to recall that they claim Jesus is in heaven, that he was a living prophet on Earth, etc. Would be fun to look at some of those verses.

(Yes of course I know most muslims will reject the idea, regardless of evidence. That does not diminish my point.)

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try this site to strat

Try this site to start with:

www.studying-islam.org/

sumra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
And in their footsteps we

And in their footsteps we sent Jesus, son of Mary, confirming that which was (revealed) before him in the Torah, and We bestowed on him the Gospel wherein is guidance and a light, confirming that which was (revealed) before it in the Torah - a guidance and an admonition unto those who ward off(5:46)

Also according to Quran Jesus was not crucified but it just appeared to people that he has been crucified and allah took him into heaven, see 4:155-158

Mary was sister of Aaron, Muhammad confused mary with miriam, see 19:27-28

For more on the borrowings from bible in quran

"The Truth about Muhammad: Founder of World's most intolerant religion" by Robert Spencer is good.

Also recently released book by Ali Sina of Canada "Understanding Muhammad:A Pshycobiography" is an interesting read where in he concludes that today Muslim women around the world are wearing burqa because Muhammad was impotent.

GW SKEPTIC
GW SKEPTIC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The problem is that they

The problem is that they would tell you the Qur'an was (and is) protected by Allah so that it remains perfectly as it was delivered to Muhammad.

It's true, there is a lot about Jesus in the Qur'an. Christ/'Isa/Jesus is mentioned more than Muhammad. I think science will be the fall of the Qur'an. They have to do an awful lot of interpretational acrobatics to reconcile it with modern science as it is. Once people are finally forced to accept evolution, I believe it will deal a strong blow to Islam. The problem with saying the Qur'an is perfect is that one counterexample ruins the entire religion. It's only a matter of backing them into a corner in which they cannot claim ambiguity of the Arabic or general alternative interpretations. Unfortuantely, it's not all that difficult to spin something to where it could at least have a possibility of being true.

SKEPTIC: Science & Knowledge Empowering People to Intelligently Choose
A Student Organization at The George Washington University