Let there be rainbows

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let there be rainbows

I am sitting here with FOX NEWS on the boob tube watching coverage of a 3 year olds disappearance. I won't even get into the media coverage (helicopter coverage, pride in being the first to 'capture' images)

Throughout this coverage I heard the word god 7 times and the word Prayer at least 15 times. Now after 2 hours of coverage the boy has been found. The boy wandered for 12 hours! It is quite amazing he was found on a road near the house and not the large pond or cornfield next to the property.

Then my jaw dropped as I heard a reporter state: "As the news of Ryan's safety spread, a rainbow was spotted in the sky...god was looking out for this boy"

What kind of happy-crappy bullshit is this? The reporter stated "This was a miracle, THANK GOD. It is times like this that make you thank god!"

I was chatting with SabbySu online at the time and admitted that I wished the news would have been bad. She encouraged me that I wasn't an awful person but dammit~ These people TRULY believe this little boys safety was due to an act of god!! I want to burst their bubble! I want to scream "STUPID! It wasn't your god that saved your son, it was your son and LUCK"

Tell me I am not horrible...

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
You aren't horrible.I say

You aren't horrible.

I say send the kid out again, this time without any search teams looking. See how long it takes god to get him back this time.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What the fuck?????Can you

What the fuck?????

Can you say coincidence? If the police had prayed instead of looking, the kid would still be lost. If the news people had prayed instead of puting the kids picture on tv and spreading the massage, he'd still be lost. As Robert Ingersoll said "The hands that help are better far than lips that pray." If they had a haitian voodoo woman as a neighboor and she had performed a ritual do you really think they'd be saying it was due to the voodoo spirits? That shit pisses me off. What if someone had prayed to the FSM and after the kid was found a shelf of marinara sauce at the local supermarket fell over? Would they be praising his noodly appendage on TV? Like living in the fucking dark ages. If the kid was found dead would they say "guess God fucked up" or "guess there is no god?"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
OH and now they have changed

OH and now they have changed their tone. Now it is "thank goodness" instead. And one reporter commented on how the little boy must have some good 'common sense'.

I wonder if the producer said "okay guys, enough of the "god" stuff"

Truly you guys, it was disgusting how often they threw their beliefs into their reporting during those first few hours.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
WTF were you watching FAUX

WTF were you watching FAUX news for anyway?

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:WTF were

MattShizzle wrote:

WTF were you watching FAUX news for anyway? 

To know the enemy?  At this point Murdoch owns so much of the media you are probably saturated in it without even knowing...   1984 is two decades late...

If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear. - JP Sartre

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
 qftfox...

qft

fox...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does Science Take Away

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know this is a somewhat

I know this is a somewhat redundant point, but with the news of recent kids being found raped and murdered, not one anchor would ever say," Wow, God must have really hated that kid for that to happen to him." Its like if someone acts evil towards another person, then it seems to be free will of the individual playing out, and God could never interfere with someone's free will. Although, I am sure most kids that believe in God send up a ton of unanswered prayers like, "please God, don't let this man rape and murder me." I just get pissed at the terminology where lucky coincidences become "miracles of God's love" and heinous crimes are never seen as "God's complicit consent, or outright indifference" but rather "evil people with free will to do what they choose."

Situations such as these make me think we need to educate people about free will and its shortcomings as a viable concept, because I am sick of hearing that God can save anyone if they ask or if he decides to lift a finger, but no one questions horrible murders or rapes having any connection to God. Its as if in the minds of some people there is this free will bubble bad people operate inside of that can only be pierced through their own prayers. Yet, the prayers of the innocent never seem to factor into this equation, I guess they were free to die at the hands of their executioners.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

I am sitting here with FOX NEWS on the boob tube watching coverage of a 3 year olds disappearance. I won't even get into the media coverage (helicopter coverage, pride in being the first to 'capture' images)

Throughout this coverage I heard the word god 7 times and the word Prayer at least 15 times. Now after 2 hours of coverage the boy has been found. The boy wandered for 12 hours! It is quite amazing he was found on a road near the house and not the large pond or cornfield next to the property.

Then my jaw dropped as I heard a reporter state: "As the news of Ryan's safety spread, a rainbow was spotted in the sky...god was looking out for this boy"

What kind of happy-crappy bullshit is this? The reporter stated "This was a miracle, THANK GOD. It is times like this that make you thank god!"

I was chatting with SabbySu online at the time and admitted that I wished the news would have been bad. She encouraged me that I wasn't an awful person but dammit~ These people TRULY believe this little boys safety was due to an act of god!! I want to burst their bubble! I want to scream "STUPID! It wasn't your god that saved your son, it was your son and LUCK"

Firstly, yes, lots of people find solace in religion and the expression thereof, and whether you like it or not, they are free to do so.  It's a constitutional right.  You're also free to get pissed, so knock yourself out.

Secondly, the news is always superlative and overblown, so of course a rainbow after the ordeal triggered a silly statement by the reporter.  People like closure, and people like Biblical imagery.  The Bible is the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world regardless of your opinion of it. 

And thirdly, yes, it's terrible of you to wish the news would have been bad.  You sincerely wish that the boy would have drowned or been hit by a car?  Why?  So the reporter wouldn't have said "God" and "prayer" as many times or invoked the Biblical symbolism of the rainbow?  So the parents would have felt pain?  Yeah, it's fucking awful and you should be embarrassed of yourself.  It makes you sound like a bitter, middle aged, petty atheist shut-in with nothing better to do than keep an exact tally of how many religious references are made by the media and how many times the Jehova's Witnesses knocked on your door so you can gripe about it on your blog and on yahoo messenger as though you're some sort of renegade.  That's awful in it's own way, I guess.  Kind of sad, actually. 

i.p.
User is offlineOffline
3 year's old, alone, and

3 year's old, alone, and lost for 12 hours? That, my friends, is one tough kid.

I want to burst their bubble! I want to scream "STUPID! It wasn't your god that saved your son, it was your son and LUCK"

I think that your first reaction was spawned by anger. It was irrational and yes, it was pretty terrible. Wishing harm on a child so that vulture-reporters wouldn't say god...

However... You did realise this yourself, or you wouldn't have even wondered about it. Anger-driven reactions are almost always harmful, but you didn't act on them (other than make this post), so they were just thoughts. Now, you'll have to live with them.

Loc wrote:
I say send the kid out again, this time without any search teams looking. See how long it takes god to get him back this time.

Consider what you're saying! Even if you didn't mean it, consider it... Beware the Dark Side.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Have you been stalking me! 

Have you been stalking me!  Smiling  **opens the door to her run-down shack enduring the awful squeaking of the hinges that haven't been used for years...**

But truly, it is unlike me to think of something as horrible as I did this morning. I think what really got me going was the sugary, sappy way the reporters were carrying on about god this and god that. I had never heard so much of that in a single hour or two of broadcasting and it made my head spin (I guess that is what I get for even turning on the tv! ) And perhaps my anger was to blame partly on the sensationalized style the media brought to the whole situation.

I am glad the little guy is okay (you should see his picture, such a cute lil kid)

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Firstly, yes, lots of

Quote:

Firstly, yes, lots of people find solace in religion and the expression thereof, and whether you like it or not, they are free to do so.  It's a constitutional right.  You're also free to get pissed, so knock yourself out.

...If only you'd have stopped here, while you were ahead...

Quote:

The Bible is the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world regardless of your opinion of it.

The Bible is a fictitious allegory, and God isn't real. Nothing you read in the Bible is a 'cornerstone of Western knowledge'. That would be the domain of science, dumb dumb.

Quote:

And thirdly, yes, it's terrible of you to wish the news would have been bad.  You sincerely wish that the boy would have drowned or been hit by a car?  Why?  So the reporter wouldn't have said "God" and "prayer" as many times or invoked the Biblical symbolism of the rainbow?  So the parents would have felt pain?  Yeah, it's fucking awful and you should be embarrassed of yourself.  It makes you sound like a bitter, middle aged, petty atheist shut-in with nothing better to do than keep an exact tally of how many religious references are made by the media and how many times the Jehova's Witnesses knocked on your door so you can gripe about it on your blog and on yahoo messenger as though you're some sort of renegade.  That's awful in it's own way, I guess.  Kind of sad, actually. 

Go back and read what Renee said. If you're so fucked-up that subtext just flies over your head, let me spell it out for you:

She's sick and tired of every good thing being attributed to God, while the bad stuff is attributed to humanity.

There. Is that transparent enough to make it through your thick skull?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

i.p.
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

[...]And perhaps my anger was to blame partly on the sensationalized style the media brought to the whole situation.

I am glad the little guy is okay (you should see his picture, such a cute lil kid)

Children in peril... That is the most effective way to sell ads, and god (it was Fox...). Who could resist watching? And a happy ending to top it off.

What amazes me about these sorts of events is that the credit is rarely given to the person deserving. In this case the kid. For a three-year-old that's a pretty hard situation. I'm sure that 'mommy' was cried a lot, but in the end it's: "I'm going that way. They better have food ready." Children are a lot tougher than they look.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

That would have nauseated me if I heard that. He was clearly promoting his theistic fantasy world. I have to wonder if they get money for every time they mention god in their reports.

Why didn't he ask the obvious questions, from a theist's perspective; why didn't this dumb ass ask his god, "why did you let that little boy get lost in the first place; why didn't you guide him home; why didn't you tell all the people searching where he was; why don't you make the rainbow permanent?"

I hear a reference to 'god' on almost every channel in some form or another. It's disgusting.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:What amazes me about

Quote:
What amazes me about these sorts of events is that the credit is rarely given to the person deserving. In this case the kid.

Are you kidding me? While I'm not about to criticize a 3 year old for doing something foolish, there is clearly no 'credit' to be handed-out to this one (...for what? Wandering away from their parents and getting lost? OMG MY HERO!!!).

No doubt everyone is happy that this ended without tragedy. But arguing that this is an excellent example of the awesomeness of young children is retarded.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

But truly, it is unlike me to think of something as horrible as I did this morning.

Oh c'mon, Renee, you didn't want anything to happen to the kid, you just wanted Captain Sappypants to be disappointed. And that's pretty understandable. I can't even watch the news anymore. It's not about people anyway, it's an abstract mutation of reality that doesn't fit.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:And thirdly, yes,

jmm wrote:

What crawled up your ass and died, christian boy?

Whether you like it or not everyone hears stories like this every week.  And a lot of times it doesn't turn out so well no matter what we wish.  If a bunch of theist retards start calling for their god I hope it just so happens to be one of the inevitable times that it doesn't turn out nicely.  And if any of us atheists get so sick of the ignorant, superstitious masses praising their yaweh every fucking time something nice turns up for them, excuse the fuck out of us if we get a little agitated to the point of vomiting.

If you've got such a high morality why don't you go somewhere that it's appreciated?  I seriously doubt that any of us would shed a tear over your absence.

Especially an arrogant prick like you.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:And thirdly, yes,

jmm wrote:

And thirdly, yes, it's terrible of you to wish the news would have been bad.

Really now. That's a bit of an overreaction. She was obviously just venting, and you KNOW that God references on the news are cynical. You know that. It's not genuine. Don't you mind that religious pandering is a technique to appeal to the vacuous and stationary? Well, maybe not.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
So what would jmmm's

So what would jmmm's response be if they had mentioned allah and praying to mecca 20 times in a hour? The quran is the cornerstone on which the middle eastern understanding of the world was built , regardless of your opinions of it.

You wouldn't get just a tiny bit annoyed to hear allah being thanked over and over again? That they were crediting it to a false god? Some people like quran imagery you know.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Murdoch is another asshat

Murdoch is another asshat fundy with money enough to buy whatever he wants, and he has.  That's been his plan all along, to buy up as much of the media, as Balrogoz said, so he can cram that jeebus shit down our throats. 

Jmm, the cornerstone of Western Civilization is science as Kevin said.  What we know about the world is a direct result of science and questioning everything including jeebus and dog.  Quit trying to claim religion is the cornerstone of knowledge, it is merely the cornerstone of ignorance and intolerance. Religion has always fought knowledge of the sciences and progressive societies only to eventually relent.  More than 700 years of the dark ages and inquisition causing suffering and death at the hands of religion, including modern wars, slavery signed off on by clergy citing the bible, and bush's current little crusade shows that. 

The bible is mere fiction and not even good fiction at that.  Everything in the ot bible was written to cement Hebrew political strength and the new testament was midrash borrowing from prior hero/messiah stories to establish the authority of the xtian religion.  You want to believe in an invisible sky-daddy that's fine, but quit pushing xtianity as the moral authority, because it's not.  Morality developed as a populations grew and people had to find ways to get along for their own mutual benefit. Nothing more, nothing less.

I too am sick and tired of ignorant asshats proclaiming dog saved a child while ignoring the thousands of others who weren't so lucky and blaming that on free-will.  If dog is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent, why does he not protect all children?  To paraphrase Epicurus, either he can't protect them or he chooses not to in which case he's either not omnipotent or he's a bastard.  If he wasn't aware of the other children then he's not omniscient.  If he had other plans for them that we can't understand then he's still a bastard and I don't want to understand the fuck.  All of that only tells me, and any other rational human, that dog doesn't exist because a good dog would not create such a fucked up place to begin with.  Unless he's a bastard.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
*applause*

*applause*

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:The

jmm wrote:

The Bible is the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world regardless of your opinion of it.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
The Bible is a fictitious allegory, and God isn't real. Nothing you read in the Bible is a 'cornerstone of Western knowledge'. That would be the domain of science, dumb dumb.

I didn't say anything about the Bible being literal.  I also didn't say anything about the Bible being the "cornerstone of Western knowledge."  I said it was the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world.  I didn't mean that all knowledge to be had was contained in the Bible.  By saying that I mean that regardless of what we believe or how we feel now, there is no question that the Bible profoundly informed (and still informs, though to a lesser degree) the way that we understand the world.  Law, literature, morality, and society are just a few of the many domains that the Bible has influenced. 

Quote:

Go back and read what Renee said. If you're so fucked-up that subtext just flies over your head, let me spell it out for you:

She's sick and tired of every good thing being attributed to God, while the bad stuff is attributed to humanity.

I know what she's sick and tired of.  She also said she wished the news would have been bad.  That's a nasty thing to say whether you're joking or not.  Turns out I was the only one with balls enough to call her out on her nastiness. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:jmm wrote:And

Watcher wrote:

jmm wrote:

What crawled up your ass and died, christian boy?

Renee Obsidianwords.

Watcher wrote:
Whether you like it or not everyone hears stories like this every week.  And a lot of times it doesn't turn out so well no matter what we wish.  If a bunch of theist retards start calling for their god I hope it just so happens to be one of the inevitable times that it doesn't turn out nicely.  And if any of us atheists get so sick of the ignorant, superstitious masses praising their yaweh every fucking time something nice turns up for them, excuse the fuck out of us if we get a little agitated to the point of vomiting.

The fuck does it matter to you?  I mean, I could understand if your rights were being infringed upon or if an injustice was being carried out, but if you're really unable to contain your words and actions simply because someone has different beliefs than you and chooses to express them, then you may just need to grow up. 

Quote:
If you've got such a high morality why don't you go somewhere that it's appreciated?  I seriously doubt that any of us would shed a tear over your absence.

I never said I had a "high morality" (?).  What does that have to do with anything?

Look, if you don't like me, don't read my posts.  Block me or something.  If the powers that be really want me gone, they can ask me and I will oblige. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's an example of selection

It's an example of selection bias - ie counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

"When things go right you praise the almighty

and give thanks in Jesus's name

But when things go wrong you change your song

and God never gets the blame."

- From Dan Barker's song "Nothing Fails Like Prayer."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sick and tired of these

I'm sick and tired of these christian bigots not attributing this to the magical leprechans. Why do the christians hate these harmless little people? Is it because the rainbow looks a lot like the gay community's flag? Is it because they are short in stature? What is it??? Next thing we know the christians will be claiming every single pot of gold at the end of these rainbows for themselves. This bigotry and hatred needs to stop.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:The fuck does it

jmm wrote:

The fuck does it matter to you?  I mean, I could understand if your rights were being infringed upon or if an injustice was being carried out, but if you're really unable to contain your words and actions simply because someone has different beliefs than you and chooses to express them, then you may just need to grow up. 

What it matters to me is you acting like a 15 yo shithead to Renee for no reason.  Maybe you need to grow up too, eh?

jmm wrote:

I never said I had a "high morality" (?).  What does that have to do with anything?

Look, if you don't like me, don't read my posts.  Block me or something.  If the powers that be really want me gone, they can ask me and I will oblige. 

No, you never said it.  But you sure as hell acted like it.

I like you just fine when you aren't being an ass to a regular member of this forum with little to no provocation.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Technically they do

Technically they do sometimes "blame" God - but they don't see it that way - ie it was God's will, God wanted the kid there with him, etc. Well God's quite an asshole then isn't he? If that's the case is he guilty of murder or kidnapping? Was God asleep when the kid got away? What about the one's that did turn out traguically? Wasn't God paying attention to them or were this kid's parents better Christians than they were. I'd actually love to see one of these type of stories with a single survivor where that person turns out to be an atheist. I'd bet the news would never even mention the fact, unless he or she converted afterwards.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a broader issue

There's a broader issue here, and quite a serious one.

The USA, despite all appearances to the contrary portrayed especially through the mass media, is a secular nation, and that secularity is established in its constitution. The First Amendment (ironically, given the fact that it is precisely this amendment that is cited by certain journalists in defending their "right" to pepper their reportage with blatantly biased and/or religious terminology and slants) was in fact meant to be a tool to ensure that such a situation never arose, in that it guaranteed freedom of expression to all views subject to the limitations also described in the constitution (incitement to violence, for example, is not considered a legally valid construct of "view statement", no matter how justified the person feels they are in making it).

Broadcasting companies and newspapers in the USA, when applying for a licence to publish material, do so under the terms set out by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission), who are not only the licencing authority for broadcasters but effectively their watchdog. In the case of newspapers the FCC's role is extremely limited since its involvement is restricted to the newspapers use of "wire" communications, a term that made complete sense in 1934 when the FCC was founded but which has become increasingly more ambiguous and contentious in today's technological reality. But when it comes to TV and Radio, they are the licence dispensers and their word holds.

However, the FCC takes the First Amendment very seriously indeed and uses it as justification not to prosecute any broadcaster who uses the freedom of speech guaranteed by that amendment's clause to air biased reportage. This effectively means that the US broadcasters, unlike those in the UK for example, have a huge latitude allowed to them in how they wish to present themselves. They can therefore be as overtly christian as they wish, and as consistently overtly christian as they wish, without fear of prosecution.

But - and it's a significant but - broadcasters, when applying to the FCC for a licence or licence renewal must define their function, and the licence they receive reflects that function. A christian radio station, for example, is straying outside its licence terms if it suddenly converts to islam and starts calling the faithful to prayer six times a day, filling the intervening hours with "thought for the day" from the station's team of mullahs. Likewise, a national news network is moving close to breaching its terms should it direct its broadcasts to a particular section of society. This latter deviation is harder to detect and prosecute however, which is why the FCC shies away from it, but it does register cumulative reported breaches and responds with a system of scaled "warnings" to the station that it is not doing its proclaimed job.

Stations, for their part, tend to see the FCC and the warnings that can emanate from it, in purely financial terms. They weigh the profitability of broadcasting to a particular sector against the veiled threats of licence invocation from the FCC should that policy begin to produce objections. Fox News, like any of the other big players, has staked its pitch and has decided to provide a service to a sector which it considers profitable (Murdoch's true - and only - motivation in anything). It does however, like the others, wish to avoid being publicly denounced by its own licencing authority, at least wth any great frequency, since this introduces an unknown and potentially negative factor affecting its future profitability.

Hence the "lost little child" story being peppered with christian innuendo, and hence also the obvious editorial instruction to scale that innuendo down. This is Fox's particular tightrope stunt and it's one it does with obviously cynical frequency - push the message to "our" audience in the way they like, but back off before it might generate objections being inputted into the FCC complaints database. One only has to watch Bill O'Reilly and his editorial staff in operation to see the process running in realtime.

If, as a consumer, you object to this stunt, then you really only have one avenue to pursue to make your objection real. For example, if you object to a national news station pushing a particular agenda subliminally (and the original post on this thread described exactly that) then you are entitled and obliged as a citizen who values true freedom of expression to use this form

https://esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/formE!input.action?form_page=2000E

to register your comlaint with the FCC. If they get enough complaints concerning a particular station, and especially a particular policy pursued by a station whose licence includes an obligation to report unbiased news to the nation, then they in turn are obliged to begin their series of escalation warnings. It will never put Fox News off the air, but it will have a huge influence on their accountants, and when it comes to any station or media enterprise owned by Murdoch, this is the soft underbelly of the beast.

Sites like this should be an ideal place for like-minded people to coordinate such a strategy, so to kick things off I have had a look at the reportage referred to by the original poster, concurred with her analysis (if not her desire to see the child come to harm just to show the journalists up), and sent in my complaint as an overseas consumer. Now, let's see a few US objectors do likewise.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
To correct you a bit -

To correct you a bit - saying that the FCC takes free speech seriously is like saying shit tastes delicious. Look how they fined all those stations for showing Janet Jacksons nipple during the Superbowl. Look how many times they fined Howard Stern because they didn't like what he said. They were going to start fining stations some ridiculous ammount for every obscene word broadcast. The FCC is extremely anti-free speech.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Showing nipple or behaving

Showing nipple or behaving in any way contrary to your stated remit when you apply for a licence may invoke an FCC fine, but that is not why the FCC fines in those circumstances. Showing nipple before the agreed benchmark or on a programme aimed to an audience that includes children is actually illegal. And when it come to Stern it wasn't him, as you say, but his employers who were fined for similar transgressions. By the way, a lot of those fines were successfully appealed.

Neither of these issues has anything much to do with free speech anyway, as I said above. Free speech as a right does not include breaking the law. Jackson's tit might not have been her broadcasters' decision to expose, but that argument didn't help Stern's employers either. The law is the law.

On a more pertinent note Matt, the other point you are apparently missing in attempting to "correct" me is that the FCC acts against broadcast material which is technically legal but which infringes the applicants' licence terms. That is the core of my, and the original poster's, objection to the Fox News coverage in question. It is just that it does so through a different method than direct prosecution and only on the basis of having been alerted in the first place. Instead of getting on my case get on Fox's and use the avenue open to you to make a difference. Otherwise keep your "corrections" to yourself. They make you sound like a person who just wants to whinge but not one who will explore the existing avenues to achieve what you say you want. As long as you and other apathetics don't do so you really have no right (except under the First Amendment) to use your speech to dissuade others from doing so.

Up off you arse, in other words, and at least complain after you have failed - not before you have even tried.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So how is making speech

So how is making speech illegal supporting free speech? It's not a "law" it's FCC policy - no members of the FCC are elected. They are beaurocrats who are very much limiting free speech. You said they are serious about free speech. So would you say Nazi Germany was a free country since, after all, it was technically "the law" whatever Hitler said? Even if they have the force of the law on their side, it still is very anti-free speech what they do. If it were up to me the FCC would be eliminated.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:jmm wrote:The

Watcher wrote:

jmm wrote:

What it matters to me is you acting like a 15 yo shithead to Renee for no reason.  Maybe you need to grow up too, eh?

I wouldn't say it was unprovoked.  She made a dumb comment, I called her out. 

Perhaps I do need to grow up, but just keep in mind that I'm not the one wishing bad fortune on children. 

Watcher wrote:
jmm wrote:

No, you never said it.  But you sure as hell acted like it.

I like you just fine when you aren't being an ass to a regular member of this forum with little to no provocation.

You say that as though I'm not a regular member.  I've actually been registered here longer than Renee and I have more posts that she does.  Am I not a regular member because I believe in God? 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The fuck does it

Quote:

It's not the fact that this constitutes a "different belief" from the one I hold that triggers extreme annoyance. It is the fact that this particular belief is so phenomenally stupid, so utterly ridiculous, yet so widely followed, that it would induce exasperation in any sane and rational person. There exist many stupid beliefs in this world, and many of those get rightly pounced on. Many religious assertions are up there as among the stupidest, yet they are not.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I also didn't say

Quote:

I also didn't say anything about the Bible being the "cornerstone of Western knowledge."  I said it was the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world. 

Knowledge = Understanding of the world.

These two concepts are what we intelligent people call 'interchangable'. That means that one can be interchanged with the other, and they mean the same thing. Smiling

Quote:

didn't mean that all knowledge to be had was contained in the Bible.  By saying that I mean that regardless of what we believe or how we feel now, there is no question that the Bible profoundly informed (and still informs, though to a lesser degree) the way that we understand the world.  Law, literature, morality, and society are just a few of the many domains that the Bible has influenced. 

And again, you're wrong. The Bible is a product of the fields you mention, not the parent. Now, a few hundred years ago, during the dark ages, you'd be correct; but modern Western society is secular. It was not built atop the Bible.

Quote:
She also said she wished the news would have been bad.

Did she? Let's take a look:

Quote:

See the part that I underlined? This brings out what us smart people call 'the subtext' of what Renee meant here. She didn't wish the news was bad because she wanted people to get hurt; she wanted people to get a wake-up call from their state of intellectual slumber, and knew that a negative outcome would've brought one.

Quote:
Turns out I was the only one with balls enough to call her out on her nastiness.

Turns out that you your thinking with your balls and not your brain, likely because said balls have been at the beck and call of your God for some time now.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So how is making

Quote:

So how is making speech illegal supporting free speech? It's not a "law" it's FCC policy - no members of the FCC are elected. They are beaurocrats who are very much limiting free speech. You said they are serious about free speech. So would you say Nazi Germany was a free country since, after all, it was technically "the law" whatever Hitler said? Even if they have the force of the law on their side, it still is very anti-free speech what they do. If it were up to me the FCC would be eliminated.

Matt, at the risk of turning this derailment into an express motorway (free speech is a whole other thread in itself) I submit you read what I say before attacking what you think I've said.

The right to free expression, since its inclusion as a constitutional right in the USA, has always been subject to responsibilities imposed by law. The FCC does not make the law - you do, believe it or not. If your state or your country is passing laws that you feel exceed the remit to impose responsibility then there is no point sitting at home whining about it. Negative input such as yours exercised by enough people leads to bad law.

Those who complain most vocally about free speech limitations are currently those who would use their perceived right in that respect to dominate public expression to the exclusion of others. At the moment they are, by and large, a collection of right wing, conservative and reactionary interest groups, which means it is you who they will exclude. By sitting at home and only occasionally whining about that fact to a not very largely populated internet site is doing their job for them.

Instead of publiclying decrying that the Jackson family should expose their mammaries or that shock-jocks should pursue their marketing strategy on behalf of their employers to make money unopposed, shift your concentration to your own contribution, through impassivity, to limiting your own right to expression, and to creating bad law.

Your cliched Nazi society analogy, you will notice, suddenly applies even more than you suggested - and against you.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:I wouldn't say it

jmm wrote:

Perhaps I do need to grow up, but just keep in mind that I'm not the one wishing bad fortune on children. 

No she didn't.  She made a truthful statement about what she felt.  You called her insulting names for it.

She didn't wish bad fortune on any child.  She was wishing that adults would grow up and quit believing in a mythical father figure in the sky to take care of their responsibilities for them.

jmm wrote:

You say that as though I'm not a regular member.  I've actually been registered here longer than Renee and I have more posts that she does.  Am I not a regular member because I believe in God? 

If you want to invent things in your head about what I said feel free.  I could care less about who was registered before who.

Let me teach you a couple lessons about posting on the internets, jmm.

1) Your name:  You don't have one.  You have initials.

2) Visual representation:  You don't have one.  With avatars it makes it very easy for someone to associate you with a picture.  Sometimes on certain forums, if they change their forum avatar it really fucks me up and I have to stop and think about their name to remember who they are so I can remember their personality.  With you I just have J M M to consider and a theist tag.  So I consider you a faceless, no named automation of a theist.  Not a lot for me to associate any kind of feelings toward you one way or the other.  I mostly consider you a stranger compared even to most people that have been posting on here for only a month or two.

3) Other types of communication:  These forums are only one of the places that RRS folks hang out.  There are two other places that we hang out as well and communicate with each other all the time.  I talk with Renee on almost a daily basis away from these forums along with a lot of other people from here.  You've been here far longer than needed to find them, so I figure you're just here to...well I don't know why you're here.  Why do you come here all the time to hang out with us atheists, jmm?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: Quote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:

I also didn't say anything about the Bible being the "cornerstone of Western knowledge."  I said it was the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world. 

Knowledge = Understanding of the world.

These two concepts are what we intelligent people call 'interchangable'. That means that one can be interchanged with the other, and they mean the same thing. Smiling

Copied directly from m-w.com:

Quote:
Main Entry:

1un·der·stand·ing 
Pronunciation:
\ˌən-dər-ˈstan-diŋ\
Function:
noun
Date:
before 12th century

1: a mental grasp : comprehension2 a: the power of comprehending; especially : the capacity to apprehend general relations of particulars b: the power to make experience intelligible by applying concepts and categories3 a: friendly or harmonious relationship b: an agreement of opinion or feeling : adjustment of differences c: a mutual agreement not formally entered into but in some degree binding on each side.

Quote:
Main Entry:
knowl·edge 
Pronunciation:
\ˈnä-lij\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English knowlege, from knowlechen to acknowledge, irregular from knowen
Date:
14th century
1obsolete : cognizance2 a (1): the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association (2): acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique b (1): the fact or condition of being aware of something (2): the range of one's information or understanding <answered to the best of my knowledge> c: the circumstance or condition of apprehending truth or fact through reasoning : cognition d: the fact or condition of having information or of being learned <a person of unusual knowledge>3archaic : sexual intercourse4 a: the sum of what is known : the body of truth, information, and principles acquired by humankind barchaic : a branch of learning.

Okay, notice the bolded definition of understanding.  This is the what I meant when I used the word.  Now notice the various definitions of knowledge above in juxtaposition.  So it would be fair to say that the Bible is the cornerstone of how we as Western people apprehend general relations of particulars.  Even though modern Western society is secular, the Bible still profoundly influences (though perhaps implicitly) our judicial, executive, and legislative practices.  Knowledge would be the continued work of science, philosophy, and all other knowledge-seeking fields.  I'm not saying that the Bible is the cornerstone of this knowledge in that it contains all of the particular knowledge to be had in the world, but rather that the Bible has unarguably influenced and still influences the way we associate the particular bits of knowledge that scientists and philosophers dredge up. 

Does that make better sense? 

Quote:
Quote:

didn't mean that all knowledge to be had was contained in the Bible.  By saying that I mean that regardless of what we believe or how we feel now, there is no question that the Bible profoundly informed (and still informs, though to a lesser degree) the way that we understand the world.  Law, literature, morality, and society are just a few of the many domains that the Bible has influenced. 

And again, you're wrong. The Bible is a product of the fields you mention, not the parent. Now, a few hundred years ago, during the dark ages, you'd be correct; but modern Western society is secular. It was not built atop the Bible.

Right.  I'm not saying that the Bible is the source of all these fields, I'm saying that the Bible strongly influenced and still influences the way we approach them, the way we put bits of knowledge together. 

Quote:
Quote:
She also said she wished the news would have been bad.

Did she? Let's take a look:

Quote:

See the part that I underlined? This brings out what us smart people call 'the subtext' of what Renee meant here. She didn't wish the news was bad because she wanted people to get hurt; she wanted people to get a wake-up call from their state of intellectual slumber, and knew that a negative outcome would've brought one.

I understand subtext, but the fact of the matter is people do get hurt and killed when the news is bad first and foremost.  That's why they call it "bad".  If she sincerely prefers the injury or death of an innocent 3 year old for the sole purpose of "waking up" the religious folks around him, then I find that to be immature and deplorable.  And I'm fully aware of the fact that her wishes have no bearing or influence on reality, so I was obviously attacking her attitude rather than her actions. 

Quote:
Quote:
Turns out I was the only one with balls enough to call her out on her nastiness.

Turns out that you your thinking with your balls and not your brain, likely because said balls have been at the beck and call of your God for some time now.

Nope, I'm thinking with my brain, and I actually have the balls to share those thoughts, even though they don't particularly jive with the general views of the members here. 

[MOD EDIT: Fixed formatting]

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christ on high, could

Christ on high, could someone please help me format that?  I don't understand why the simplest tasks are so quirky. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'll fix the formatting. 

I'll fix the formatting.  But it's going to take me a little bit.  It's a mess in there.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:Quote:The

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

It's not the fact that this constitutes a "different belief" from the one I hold that triggers extreme annoyance. It is the fact that this particular belief is so phenomenally stupid, so utterly ridiculous, yet so widely followed, that it would induce exasperation in any sane and rational person. There exist many stupid beliefs in this world, and many of those get rightly pounced on. Many religious assertions are up there as among the stupidest, yet they are not.

Belief in God is clearly neither "phenomenally stupid" nor "utterly ridiculous" to the people who hold the belief.  Also, I am both sane and rational, yet curiously unexasperated by theism.  That's terrible rhetoric by the way, implying that any person who believes in God can be neither sane nor rational.  You're smarter than that. 

I guess I just don't get this whole idea of "pouncing" on others' beliefs.  Sure, some beliefs are more dangerous than others and should be eradicated when they are inherently misanthropic, but theism in general doesn't really fit the bill. 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
When referencing "this

When referencing "this belief" if in my prior post, I was not referring per se to theism, but rather this particular subclass which embraces the child-like notion of a personal anthropomorphic God which watches over us all like an ethereal father figure. I am totally prepared to say point-blank that this is patently ridiculous. As a subclass in turn of this belief, it is even sillier and more wishful and stupid to hold that the appearance of a rainbow is indicative of the fact that such a being is giving us a reminder that he is watching us. If anyone believes there is a logical connection between these events, then they have a serious lack of knowledge of questionable cause fallacies.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:jmm wrote:I

Watcher wrote:

jmm wrote:

No she didn't.  She made a truthful statement about what she felt.  You called her insulting names for it.

She didn't wish bad fortune on any child.  She was wishing that adults would grow up and quit believing in a mythical father figure in the sky to take care of their responsibilities for them.

She wished that the adults would be shaken from their belief in God through the injury or death of an innocent 3 year old.  I don't know why we're even debating this. 

Watcher wrote:
jmm wrote:

If you want to invent things in your head about what I said feel free.  I could care less about who was registered before who.

Let me teach you a couple lessons about posting on the internets, jmm.

1) Your name:  You don't have one.  You have initials.

I value anonymity.  I don't want to register under my real name, and I really dislike nicknames. 

Quote:
2) Visual representation:  You don't have one.  With avatars it makes it very easy for someone to associate you with a picture.  Sometimes on certain forums, if they change their forum avatar it really fucks me up and I have to stop and think about their name to remember who they are so I can remember their personality.  With you I just have J M M to consider and a theist tag.  So I consider you a faceless, no named automation of a theist.  Not a lot for me to associate any kind of feelings toward you one way or the other.  I mostly consider you a stranger compared even to most people that have been posting on here for only a month or two.

Anonymity again.  I would have hoped you could have formed an opinion of me based on my ideas rather than the presentation of my account. 

Quote:
3) Other types of communication:  These forums are only one of the places that RRS folks hang out.  There are two other places that we hang out as well and communicate with each other all the time.  I talk with Renee on almost a daily basis away from these forums along with a lot of other people from here.  You've been here far longer than needed to find them, so I figure you're just here to...well I don't know why you're here.  Why do you come here all the time to hang out with us atheists, jmm?

I've always been pretty unpopular around here.  People very rarely respond to my posts, and when they do, it's usually when I've been inflammatory (such as in this thread).  I've tried to communicate with a few members here via private messages, but I never get any responses.  I just assumed that no one was interested in any off-board communication with me.  No hard feelings.  I have a busy work, educational, and social life, so it's not vital for me to make personal connections on here. 

Why am I here?  Primarily to learn about beliefs that differ from mine.  I also have bouts insomnia, and most of the people I know go to bed early during the week, so I often find myself perusing this site in the wee small hours.  What keeps me coming back is my penchant for playing devil's advocate, though.  Dogma sickens me more than perhaps anything else in the world, and when I encounter it, I try and throw a wrench in it.  I like to think that I do it in good humor, though.  There's more than enough dogma to go around here, but there are also quite a few good writers and great people whose thoughts I enjoy reading. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:When

deludedgod wrote:

When referencing "this belief" if in my prior post, I was not referring per se to theism, but rather this particular subclass which embraces the child-like notion of a personal anthropomorphic God which watches over us all like an ethereal father figure. I am totally prepared to say point-blank that this is patently ridiculous. As a subclass in turn of this belief, it is even sillier and more wishful and stupid to hold that the appearance of a rainbow is indicative of the fact that such a being is giving us a reminder that he is watching us. If anyone believes there is a logical connection between these events, then they have a serious lack of knowledge of questionable cause fallacies.

Gotcha.  It's definitely a silly belief, and certainly not one that I subscribe to, but it does make sense that people believe it.  I'm not saying that the belief makes sense, but rather the fact that people believe it.  Life sucks, man.  And then you die.  That's just the way it goes.  It makes people feel good to believe that God is watching and that everything will work out in the end.  Feeling good trumps being correct for the vast majority of people.  Fortunately, I've found enough meaning and wonder in life to avoid total despair, and have thus developed what I like to consider a slightly more refined set of beliefs than those held by the aforementioned well-wishers. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I can't form an opinion of

I can't form an opinion of you based on your ideas if I can't remember which ideas are yours.  Face it, as long as you cling to your extreme form of anonymity people are going to keep seeing you as a non-entity.

There have been times when RRS people have talked about the theists that frequented the board.  They mention Wavefreak, Eloise, and...that other dude.  The one that had the cartoon butt up in the air, what was his name...

Anyway, they never seem to mention you.  No one remembers you.  That's pretty anonymous.

Enjoy it.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
The bible is not the

The bible is not the cornerstone of anything except woolly thinking exercised by a thankfully shrinking number of people and a long history of vindictiveness.

Cornerstone implies a fundamental basis - in other words if you extract it then the rest of the construction collapses. Clearly suggesting that western civilization would collapse without the presence of that particular book in society is a stupid assertion. Worse, it reveals an amazing lack of knowledge regarding the history of law, civics and government - something the church has undisputedly involved itself in historically, but in a manner very hard to square with the religious tenets expressed in the book in question.

The real cornerstone of western civilization, I would suggest, has been the gradual acceptance and implementation of representative politics - a process that the church actively opposed in its hay day. The principle of representation, first formulated in a manner translatable to other societies in ancient Greece, has evolved along several different avenues and, one might say especially in light of christianity's avowed opposition to all these avenues at every turn, in spite of rather than because of religion at all. We now live in a world where societies that do not include a form of representation, collective bargaining in the decision making process, and at least some democratic principles are an extreme rarity - a far cry from the primitive overlorship and subservience model touted in the christians' "manual".

If, as you say, jmm, you wish only to suggest that the bible is a principal influence on the way that knowledge is assimilated in western society, then avoid using words like "cornerstone". And by the way, you'd still be wrong. Those who appoint themselves its modern interpreters would like us all to think it, sure enough, but then there are a whole lot of extremely irrational things they want to foist on our credulity too. You need to go back and revise not only your stance as expressed on this thread, but your knowledge of political, intellectual, scientific - and even religious - history.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Gotcha.  It's

jmm wrote:

Gotcha.  It's definitely a silly belief, and certainly not one that I subscribe to, but it does make sense that people believe it.  I'm not saying that the belief makes sense, but rather the fact that people believe it.  Life sucks, man.  And then you die.  That's just the way it goes.  It makes people feel good to believe that God is watching and that everything will work out in the end.  Feeling good trumps being correct for the vast majority of people.  Fortunately, I've found enough meaning and wonder in life to avoid total despair, and have thus developed what I like to consider a slightly more refined set of beliefs than those held by the aforementioned well-wishers. 

It sounds like you have some sort of custom christianity. Isn't god being the benevolent father to his children a central point of christianity? But you think that's silly? What exactly do you believe, I'm getting confused now.

Enough wonder to avoid despair? Now you sound like a nihilist. Isn't god supposed to provide that wonder to christians?

I don't really see why you have your god since you seem to reject everything in traditional/mainstream christianity.

Watcher wrote:

There have been times when RRS people have talked about the theists that frequented the board.  They mention Wavefreak, Eloise, and...that other dude.  The one that had the cartoon butt up in the air, what was his name...

LosingStreak06

dudeofthemoment wrote:

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Loc

Loc wrote:

LosingStreak06

Yeah, that's the guy.  Thanks, Loc.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Cornerstone

Nordmann wrote:
Cornerstone implies a fundamental basis - in other words if you extract it then the rest of the construction collapses. Clearly suggesting that western civilization would collapse without the presence of that particular book in society is a stupid assertion. Worse, it reveals an amazing lack of knowledge regarding the history of law, civics and government - something the church has undisputedly involved itself in historically, but in a manner very hard to square with the religious tenets expressed in the book in question.

You would be correct if I said that the Bible was the cornerstone of Western civilization.  That's not what I said, though.  I said that the Bible was the cornerstone of the Western understanding of the world.  There is a huge difference between this and what you've misquoted me as saying. 

You're correct on what the word "cornerstone" suggests.  However, I'm using the word metaphorically.  Nothing is going to collapse.  Without the Bible, the Western understanding of civilization wouldn't collapse--it would simply be different. 

Nordmann wrote:
The real cornerstone of western civilization, I would suggest, has been the gradual acceptance and implementation of representative politics

I'll agree with that in part.  I don't feel like sifting through the rest. 

Quote:
If, as you say, jmm, you wish only to suggest that the bible is a principal influence on the way that knowledge is assimilated in western society, then avoid using words like "cornerstone". And by the way, you'd still be wrong.

I think I explained this well enough above, so I'll leave it at that.

Nordmann wrote:
Those who appoint themselves its modern interpreters would like us all to think it, sure enough, but then there are a whole lot of extremely irrational things they want to foist on our credulity too.

I'm not saying that the Bible should be forced on anyone, I'm just saying that it'd be a great idea to familiarize oneself with the Bible, because for better or worse, it's an immensely important document, and yes, is the cornerstone of the way we as Westerners understand the world. 

Nordmann wrote:
You need to go back and revise not only your stance as expressed on this thread, but your knowledge of political, intellectual, scientific - and even religious - history.

Nah, I think I'm good.  You on the other hand should probably read my posts more carefully. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:jmm

Loc wrote:

jmm wrote:

It sounds like you have some sort of custom christianity. Isn't god being the benevolent father to his children a central point of christianity? But you think that's silly? What exactly do you believe, I'm getting confused now.

Every personal "Christianity" is custom. 

I said it was silly to believe that a rainbow represents God's watchfulness over his children--not that God is the father to his children. 

Quote:
Enough wonder to avoid despair? Now you sound like a nihilist. Isn't god supposed to provide that wonder to christians?

Christianity is inherently nihilistic.  So I guess you're right. 

Quote:
I don't really see why you have your god since you seem to reject everything in traditional/mainstream christianity.

I just have my thoughts and my experiences, man.  I don't really care if my conception of God lines up with mainstream Christianity.  I'm the opposite of a mainstream Christian.  In the eyes of my immediate family, I'm no longer a Christian.  They simply don't understand how I could possibly be a Christian and drink, curse, not got to church, etc.  Doctrinally, I'm also divided with my family.  I don't take a literal interpretation of the Bible.  I don't even believe it's the word of God.  What does that even mean?  I've read the New Testament in Greek, studied it profusely, and come to the conclusion that it's not a singular manifesto, treatise, or history, but rather a collection of letters and opinions about God.  Subjective impressions.

So in a sense, you've taken the same attitude as my family.  "You aren't a mainstream Christian, so how could you possibly really be a Christian?"

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:I can't form

Watcher wrote:

I can't form an opinion of you based on your ideas if I can't remember which ideas are yours.  Face it, as long as you cling to your extreme form of anonymity people are going to keep seeing you as a non-entity.

Anyway, they never seem to mention you.  No one remembers you.  That's pretty anonymous.

Enjoy it.

Ok.  It's not like I'm vying for attention here.  I'm just trying to exchange ideas.  I may never win the popularity contest, but if I can challenge your believes and you can challenge mine, I'm satisfied.