I wish to debate

Mick
User is offlineOffline
I wish to debate

I'm looking for a person to formally debate with me whether it is reasonable to believe that God exists. For the belief that God exists to be "reasonable" I do not mean that the denial of God's existence is irrational or that someone can't rationally not believe that God exists. Instead, what I do mean is that there are grounds of justifiable belief that God exists and it would be my project to illustrate some of those grounds. Finally, when I refer to "God", I am not necessarily speaking of the Abrahamic conception of God. In contrast, I mean to refer to an ultimate being or maybe something of a creator/sustainer.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since formal debate involves

Since formal debate involves a positive and a negative position, I will be happy to oblige you on the following conditions:

1) You must take the positive position, and argue: "It is reasonable to believe in God."

2) Before the debate begins, you must coherently define "God" such that there is no ambiguity about what we are debating.*

3) Before the debate begins, we must agree on a definition of "reasonable."  No shifting the goal posts!

4) Before I do anything in the debate proper, you must present a coherent and logically valid defense of the position "It is reasonable to believe in God."

If you're unfamiliar with the rules of formal debate, I've outlined them in the following essays:

Argument and Debate: Forms and Techniques, Part 1

Argument and Debate: Forms and Techniques, Part 2

Argument and Debate: Forms and Techniques, Part 3. Issues

Part 4: Evidence

Part 5: Evaluating Evidence

Part 6: Reasoning

Part 7: The Structure of Reasoning

Part 8: Language problems and Logical Fallacies

Provided that what you really want is a formal debate, and that you are able to provide a clear defensible position with clear, valid definitions, I'll be happy to take the side of negative, arguing that it is not reasonable to believe in God.

* In your definition, it will be absolutely necessary that every word be properly and coherently defined.  For instance, if you define God using the word "supernatural," you must positively define supernatural.  There will be no shifting the definition around in a circle of nonsense words.  Full, philosophically valid, positive definitions including a universe of discourse must be provided for all words in the definition of god.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Mick
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:2) Before the debate

Quote:
2) Before the debate begins, you must coherently define "God" such that there is no ambiguity about what we are debating.*
This may be problematic. If you are not content with my above definition, then we're out of luck. I lean towards a mystical understanding of this alleged being called God.

Quote:
4) Before I do anything in the debate proper, you must present a coherent and logically valid defense of the position "It is reasonable to believe in God."
I have three problems: the coherency of what I say may depend on the skills and background knowledge of my reader rather than my own failings.  Limiting me to a logically valid defense prohibts inductive arguments because the word "invalid" refers to deductive arguments. Moreover, I will not defend "It is reasonable to believe in God" within my first statement; I will assert it. The act of defending arguments presupposes a prior attack, but there's no prior attack until my counterpart gives me his statement. Finally, I will not defend/assert belief "in" God. I will defend/assert reasonable believe that God exists. There is a difference between the two claims.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This may

Quote:
This may be problematic. If you are not content with my above definition, then we're out of luck. I lean towards a mystical understanding of this alleged being called God.

You haven't offered a definition.  I have nothing to argue against.

Quote:
I have three problems: the coherency of what I say may depend on the skills and background knowledge of my reader rather than my own failings.

That's why we agree on definitions.  If we use language properly, we can convey the idea coherently.  If someone doesn't get it, it's because of their lack of skills, not our failings.  That's all we can ever do.

If, on the other hand, you're worried about being able to coherently state your position, why are you asking for a formal debate?

Quote:
Limiting me to a logically valid defense prohibts inductive arguments because the word "invalid" refers to deductive arguments.

I'm going to retract my offer to debate you based on this sentence.  You don't even know the basics, so how can we debate?  Validity applies to statements as well as deductive formulas.  A statement is valid if it is consistent with previous statements, or if it is true in all cases, (a tautology).  If we agree on a definition of God, we have a premise which can then be included in a deductive line of reasoning, and validity can be established.  This is basic stuff, dude.

The reason we must agree on definitions is precisely because validity applies to the internal and external coherence of statements.

Quote:
Moreover, I will not defend "It is reasonable to believe in God" within my first statement; I will assert it.

Well, this is easy then.  My rebuttal follows:

"The claimant has offered only a naked assertion.  Because he has failed to produce a defense for the assertion, the Burden of Proof has not been met, and the only reasonable conclusion is siding with the negative position."

Debate over.  Thanks for the challenge.

Quote:
The act of defending arguments presupposes a prior attack, but there's no prior attack until my counterpart gives me his statement.

Do you understand the concept of positive and negative claimants?

Quote:
Finally, I will not defend/assert belief "in" God. I will defend/assert reasonable believe that God exists. There is a difference between the two claims.

Geez.  I've already got you talking in circles and you haven't even gotten your assertion straight.  Like I said, you give me something to refute, and I'll do my best.  As of yet, there would be literally nothing for me to do in a debate with you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Were this debate to happen

I think it would be a very short debate. The only argument I could think of would be the following and it is probably not satifactory to either side:

Define God as a being which has always existed. Define "Reasonable to believe" as a reasonable person might put at least 51% of their belief into the proposition that God exists. Some reasonable people might put less than 50% and therefore not believe in a God.

There are only a few major possibilities with many many variations on those few.

1) The physical universe has always existed.

2) Something other than the physical universe has always existed.

3) The physical universe started without anything else pre-existing it.

A reasonable person could put probabilities of 50, 10, and 40% respectively without any other info. Given evidence of the Big Bang it would be reasonable to shift probability away from #1 to put more on #2 and #3. Some people may exceed 51% on #2 at that point.

I personally think the universe was a singularity until #2 occured, but it could have been any of them reasonably. Multiple universes can be thought of as a variation of #1. Expanding and Retracting infinitely could be thought of a variation of #1. In a way, a singularity is meaningless. I don't know what it means anyway. Don't physical laws break down at the singularity?

Quantum Mechanics may in the future shift more weight to #3.

Literally, I think that is the whole debate. There is no new information. There is not going to be any new information to support #2. Science can only provide negative evidence for #2.

Some may say its meaningless to say that something has always existed. There is no counter argument. Is it reasonable to believe it anyway?

Maybe.

Mick
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:You

Hambydammit wrote:
You haven't offered a definition.  I have nothing to argue against.
This depends on your understanding of definition. There is more than one type of definition and what I said about God fits at least some of those types.

Quote:
That's why we agree on definitions.  If we use language properly, we can convey the idea coherently.  If someone doesn't get it, it's because of their lack of skills, not our failings.  That's all we can ever do.
I don't agree with your interpretations of language and whether the utility of language can be aptly labelled as proper in any sense other than conventional. Yet, I suppose that's not a large issue here.  God can be described as an ultimate being; perhaps a creator or a sustainer of the world.

Quote:
I'm going to retract my offer to debate you based on this sentence.  You don't even know the basics, so how can we debate?  Validity applies to statements as well as deductive formulas.  A statement is valid if it is consistent with previous statements, or if it is true in all cases, (a tautology). 

This is called the fallacy of equivocation. In the post that I replied to, you spoke only of what is logically valid. Yet here you speak of another type of validity in addition to logical validity.  I don't see this as a big deal and I'm willing to drop the point.

Quote:
Well, this is easy then.  My rebuttal follows:
There is a difference between asserting something to be true and offering only a naked assertion.  Where you got this "only" and "naked" comment is beyond my ken.

Quote:
The claimant has offered only a naked assertion.  Because he has failed to produce a defense for the assertion, the Burden of Proof has not been met, and the only reasonable conclusion is siding with the negative position."

Even if that were true, the bold is non-sequitur

Quote:
Do you understand the concept of positive and negative claimants?
I have an understanding of what it means to make postive and negative claims.  ~B:~G, B:G, B:~G, ~B:G are examples of negative (~B:~G) & (~B:G) and positive claims (B:G) & (B:~G).

Quote:
Geez.  I've already got you talking in circles and you haven't even gotten your assertion straight.  Like I said, you give me something to refute, and I'll do my best.  As of yet, there would be literally nothing for me to do in a debate with you.
  I thought you didn't want to debate me because I don't understand the basics. (Even though I'm trained in several logics)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This depends on your

Quote:
This depends on your understanding of definition. There is more than one type of definition and what I said about God fits at least some of those types.

Obviously you didn't read any of those links I gave you.  If you had, you would notice that I've addressed the types of definitions.

Quote:
God can be described as an ultimate being; perhaps a creator or a sustainer of the world.

Define "ultimate."  Define "being."

Quote:
This is called the fallacy of equivocation. In the post that I replied to, you spoke only of what is logically valid. Yet here you speak of another type of validity in addition to logical validity.  I don't see this as a big deal and I'm willing to drop the point.

Logic is used to determine the validity of statements.  No equivocation.

Quote:
There is a difference between asserting something to be true and offering only a naked assertion.  Where you got this "only" and "naked" comment is beyond my ken.

Naked assertion = assertion with no support.  You provided no support.  It is a naked assertion.

Quote:
Even if that were true, the bold is non-sequitur

Clearly you are not familiar with the ontological necessity of the Burden of Proof and its implications for the positive claimant.

Quote:
I have an understanding of what it means to make postive and negative claims.  ~B:~G, B:G, B:~G, ~B:G are examples of negative (~B:~G) & (~B:G) and positive claims (B:G) & (B:~G).

That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about positions in a debate.

Quote:
I thought you didn't want to debate me because I don't understand the basics. (Even though I'm trained in several logics)

You're not familiar with the basics of debate.  I have seen that you understand logic.  Pardon me for being unclear.

Books about atheism

Mick
User is offlineOffline
I am going to refrain from

The "ontological necessity" concerning the burden of proof? Oh, man. I am going to refrain from further squabbles. 

I'm afraid that I cannot offer much more to the definition of "ultimate" and "being" than the rough concept we have of it. Think of such a being as something like the Abrahamic conception sans the attributions of omni-traits. If that's not good enough for you, then this debate is not suitable for you.

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
If i may...

There is a fatal flaw in the opening premise. In a formal debate you cannot debate an opinion. End of debate.

bodhi

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
Mick wrote: The

Mick wrote:

The "ontological necessity" concerning the burden of proof? Oh, man. I am going to refrain from further squabbles. 

I'm afraid that I cannot offer much more to the definition of "ultimate" and "being" than the rough concept we have of it. Think of such a being as something like the Abrahamic conception sans the attributions of omni-traits. If that's not good enough for you, then this debate is not suitable for you.

first who is "we"

define: Abrahamic conception

if you want an argument vs. a debate then this will be a lot easier for you.

Especially if you want to use inductive logic. {if then = maybe.}

bodhi

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mick, you may know your

Mick, you may know your logic formulas, but you're not very good at applying them to reality.  No offense, but if you don't understand why it is absolutely necessary to place the burden of proof on the positive claimant, you are not even remotely prepared to enter a debate on any subject.

You do understand the concepts of identity and universe of discourse, right?  Without both, we have no basis for ontology.  Identity cannot exist without universe of discourse, and ontology cannot exist without identity.

Books about atheism

Mick
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Mick, you

Hambydammit wrote:

Mick, you may know your logic formulas, but you're not very good at applying them to reality.  No offense, but if you don't understand why it is absolutely necessary to place the burden of proof on the positive claimant, you are not even remotely prepared to enter a debate on any subject.

You do understand the concepts of identity and universe of discourse, right?  Without both, we have no basis for ontology.  Identity cannot exist without universe of discourse, and ontology cannot exist without identity.

As a note: there is no logical formula for the burden of proof and I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was not "very good" at applying logical formulas to"reality". It seems as though you pulled that claim out of thin air. 

I understand that it is a justifiable to put the burden of proof unto those who make positive claims such as "It is rational to believe that God exists" and "It is not rational to believe that God exists".  (As opposed to negative claims such like lacking the belief that such and such) What I was ridiculing was your use of the words "ontological necessity" when speaking of the burden of proof.  You spoke as if the principle itself was an ontological necessity. Do you even know what that would mean for the principle? I'm reminded of the creationists who use fancy words to sound as if they are erudite but only end up looking foolish. 

I'm not interested in debating you. Anyone else?

Mick
User is offlineOffline
bodhi smith wrote:There is a

bodhi smith wrote:

There is a fatal flaw in the opening premise. In a formal debate you cannot debate an opinion. End of debate.

There was an opening premise? What "opinion" is proposed to be debated?

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mick wrote:I'm not

Mick wrote:

Hah. Translation: "Oh crap, Hambydammit is not going to let me assert vague bullshit unchallenged, my argument is doomed! Anyone out there who will let me make shit up? Please?"

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I will be

Hambydammit wrote:

I will be happy to oblige you

Well, doggie!  That's a shocker!

Watch out, Mick...you're in for some logical beat-down!

Go Mr. Dammit!

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I'm reminded of the

Quote:
I'm reminded of the creationists who use fancy words to sound as if they are erudite but only end up looking foolish.

Mick, out of patience, I'm still talking to you.  You haven't been here long, and you obviously haven't read any of my work, or you would know the lengths that I go to to be factually accurate, philosophically correct, and logically valid.

I'm not sure how old you are, or what your education is, but you're acting as if you think an undergraduate level understanding of symbolic logic is going to carry the day here.   You've been talking in circles here because you don't want to have to define the thing you wish to debate, and I've called you out on it.  You're not making things better by insulting my intelligence or insinuating that my command of language is affected for the purpose of intimidation rather than accurate conveyance of meaning, particularly when your quotes contain such grammatical gems as this:  "(As opposed to negative claims such like lacking the belief that such and such)."

Quote:
What I was ridiculing was your use of the words "ontological necessity" when speaking about the burden of proof.

My response was clearly intended to allow you to back off of your ridicule.  If you had simply spoken in haste, and realized the error of ridiculing one of the foundations of ontology, I felt it fair to give you a chance to admit your gaff and move on.  It is obvious that you have no such intention, and that you are unaware of the glaring philosophical error you have made.

Perhaps you are equivocating two meanings of identity, namely the logical and ontological.  In logic, as I'm sure you're aware, identity is simply the relation that holds only between a thing and itself.  In ontology, however, an identity statement has no material referent unless it has a positive definition, which includes qualities, limits, etc, within a given universe of discourse.  The axiomatic validity of logical identity does not affect the material truth value of a given proposed existence.

As I'm also sure you're aware (or should be) there is a difference between the symbolic notation of logic and the thought processes it describes.  If you were not aware that my statements regarding the logic of the Burden of Proof referred to "logic" with a lowercase "l," then shame on you.

In short, the Burden of Proof must be on the claimant, for any other alternative leads to a paradox in which knowledge becomes unknowable, and literally undefinable.   This becomes obvious when we simply assume that a thing must be proven false before we are allowed to disbelieve it.  Three immediate problems become apparent:

1) The set of "Things we can imagine that might be true" includes numerous paradoxes.  This is not possible in material reality, for the axiom of identity disallows a thing from both existing and not existing.

2) The set of "Things we can imagine that might be true" includes the proposition that everything we perceive is always subjectively different from what is objectively true.  Disproving this is impossible, for obvious reasons.

3) It is logically impossible to disprove a negative.  (EDIT: It is logically impossible to prove a negative claim, i.e. X entity does not exist.)

From any of these problems, we can deduce that the only way to gain knowledge of a thing's existence is to prove it true.  For example:

* A thing must be proven false before being disbelieved.

* Proof requires deductive logic.

* "Deductive Logic does not work." is a statement, which is a thing, which must be disproven before being disbelieved.

* The statement, "deductive logic does not work" cannot be proven false, for proof requires deduction, which cannot be proven valid.  (Since I must believe "deductive logic does not work" until I can disprove it.)

C1: Proof is impossible.

C2: C1 is arrived at through deductive logic, and is therefore invalid.

C3: It is impossible to know if proof is possible, due to the invalidity of C1.

ad nauseum.

This is really simple stuff, Mick.  I'm not putting it into formulas because I'm not interested in trading symbols with you.  I'm interested in the untrained readers knowing what's going on.  Any assumption that disproof of a negative is necessary ends in paradox.  Therefore, it must be a false assumption.

Quote:
For it was unnecessary and a misnomer to use "ontological necessity" within that context.

I've just proven to you that it is absolutely necessary to establish the burden of proof before knowledge can be gained.  That is the foundation of ontology.  In short, I cannot hope to approach epistemology if ontology is nonsense.  If there is no philosophical necessity to positively identify that which is real, and the burden of proof to demonstrate its reality, there is no possibility of knowledge (justified true belief).

Quote:

That doesn't surprise me.  I'm taking that as a compliment, whether you like it or not.  I suspect that you're not going to get many offers if you're not willing to follow the fundamentals of ontology or epistemology.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Puzzling... Bluster, then

Puzzling... Bluster, then silence...

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mick, still

Mick, still here?

Quote:
perhaps a creator or a sustainer of the world

...You want to argue that a magical deity created the world? DONE! I'll totally take that shit on.

Just so we're clear:

Your Position: There is strong evidence that a magical deity created the world

My Position: There is no evidence that a magical deity created the world, and evidence contrary to such a positive claim.

Sound fair to you?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I'm

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

That doesn't surprise me.  I'm taking that as a compliment, whether you like it or not.  I suspect that you're not going to get many offers if you're not willing to follow the fundamentals of ontology or epistemology.

It's like watching Larry Holmes and Randy Cobb go at it. Painful.

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
paradox?

Hamby wrote:

...any assumption that disproof of a negative is necessary ends in paradox.  Therefore, it must be a false assumption.

Hamby, I agree you can't disprove a negative. But does a paradox always imply a false assumption? The einstein twin paradox showed that we needed a bigger framework: general relativity. The schroedinger cat paradox or regular wave/particle duality shows we need a bigger framework. In another post you said "paradox" implies your logic is bad so I have been wanting to ask if thats always the case.

The way I see it, we can get a contradiction of 2 statements that are contradictory but both apparently true. Sometimes it gets resolved and we call it a paradox (connoting truth) or we dont ever get it resolved and call it an antinomy. Some think the word antinomy is different than paradox but I think its just the connotation.

I think paradox connotes "cool, good, we will learn something new eventually."

Antinomy connotes "bad logic, stear clear, you must be wrong"...

They're both the same until you get a bigger framework.

(But I still think the statement x is true and x is false is not a paradox, just a regular 'ol contradiction)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hamby, I agree you

Quote:
Hamby, I agree you can't disprove a negative. But does a paradox always imply a false assumption?

You're about to get into dangerous waters.  I wish I could remember if this is the exact quote, but Dawkins wrote something like, "Premature erection of alleged philosophical difficulties is often a smoke screen for mischief."  I'm pretty sure that's accurate.  In any case, the meaning is completely accurate.

The solution to the Einstein twin paradox is that it isn't a paradox.  The cat paradox is illustrative of principles in Quantum mechanics.  It's not an actual description of the material reality of QM, only an illustration to make it easier for people to understand that which the human brain is not equipped to readily understand.

Besides the fact that neither of these "paradoxes" represent an actual violation of the law of identity, neither of these examples is applicable to the philosophical question I have raised.  First, it is an error of composition to suggest that the principles of QM apply equally to existence above the quantum level.  Second, the qualities of identity, limits, and concepts are all restricted to the closed system that is essentially Newtonian existence.  Within this system, it is not only correct to say that a paradox always implies the falsehood of one of the available options, it is impossible to say anything else, for such a statement would lead to immediate paradox, and the very concept of knowledge (or even belief) would become incoherent.

The only two options are: Everything is incoherent (which cannot be true if it is true!) or coherence derives from the axiom of identity.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's like watching

Quote:
It's like watching Larry Holmes and Randy Cobb go at it. Painful.

Coincidentally, Larry Holmes was from south Georgia, a few hours from where I live.

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually it would be more

Actually it would be more like the "fight" between a mouse and the front left tire of a Mack truck.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Tanath
Tanath's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:3) It is

Hambydammit wrote:

3) It is logically impossible to disprove a negative.  (EDIT: It is logically impossible to prove a negative claim, i.e. X entity does not exist.)

Hamby, I'm puzzled that you would be perpetuating this myth, due to your apparent command of logic and philosophy. One can easily prove even a universal negative by contradiction (eg., there are no married bachelors, no square circles, no invisible pink unicorns, no omnipotent & omniscient gods, etc.). So if "X" is not coherent, it is a simple matter to disprove it.

Every proof could be turned into a negative. Indeed, the very assertion that you cannot prove a negative could be turned into a negative: "There are no negative proofs." That would render the claim itself unprovable! I have even heard Richard Dawkins and Michael Shermer claim this as well, so it's very common, but untrue:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/theory.html

http://departments.bloomu.edu/philosophy/pages/content/hales/articles/proveanegative.html

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/07-12-05.html

Ironically Michael Shermer is the editor of Skeptic, in which that last article was published, yet he still perpetuates the myth.

----
Faith is not a virtue.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Err... didn't I correct

Err... didn't I correct myself?  I thought I did, anyway.  I meant to go back and edit that.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.  Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself.  For clarification, when I say that you can't prove negatives, I mean that you can't deductively prove empirical universal negatives.  For instance, I can't demonstrate that there are no unicorns anywhere in the universe.

I guess I should go back and clean that post up a bit.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Grrr... I can tell it's time

Grrr... I can tell it's time to start drinking...   If someone postulates that a contradictory being can't be empirically disproven anywhere in the universe, that's different, because you don't need empirical proof.  You can do it logically.

Books about atheism

Tanath
Tanath's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Grrr... I

Hambydammit wrote:

Grrr... I can tell it's time to start drinking...   If someone postulates that a contradictory being can't be empirically disproven anywhere in the universe, that's different, because you don't need empirical proof.  You can do it logically.

Indeed, but it seems everyone assumes that "God" is coherent, when most of the time it's not. And personally, I have yet to see any coherent definitions of God which are actually useful. Have you?

----
Faith is not a virtue.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mick wrote:the coherency of

Mick wrote:
the coherency of what I say may depend on the skills and background knowledge of my reader rather than my own failings.

Then you've come to the right place! Most of us are familiar with most (if not all) apologist arguments by now, so your audience has a strong background knowledge.

Okay, shoot. I'm not doing formal debate - I find it ridiculous. Tell me why you think a belief in something you struggle to define reasonably exists.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Indeed, but it seems

Quote:
Indeed, but it seems everyone assumes that "God" is coherent, when most of the time it's not. And personally, I have yet to see any coherent definitions of God which are actually useful. Have you?

Yeah.  One of the things I try to do is focus on one thing at a time.  I don't like overwhelming theists with dilemmas because it shuts down the thinking process.  While it's true that there is no coherent definition of God, if I jump onto that boat right out of the gate, I'm going to get into a long debate about ontology, and since I've never met a theist who understood ontology, that's going to end poorly.

Instead, I try to focus on things that are easy for people with a high school education or less to understand.  Disproving negatives is pretty easy.  If I tell you that there are no unicorns anywhere in the universe, it's easy for you to understand that I don't have enough information to be reliable.  From there, it's easy to make someone understand that atheists don't claim to know for certain that there is nothing in the whole universe with a proper definition called "god."

Once we've reached this point in the discussion, we're nowhere near the question of definitions.  We've just helped someone understand the nature of skepticism, and how it leads to "weak atheism" naturally.

I realize that sometimes I get other philosophy geeks all knotted up over my simplistic, and sometimes less than completely accurate, statements.  (Emphasis on less than completely accurate.  It's true that we can't disprove unicorns in the universe, but I've left out the part about how math can disprove certain classes of negatives.)  My objective is not to give everyone in the audience a college course on logic.  It's to demonstrate a single point.  One thing at a time.  Simple before complicated.

Books about atheism

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
Mick wrote:bodhi smith

Mick wrote:

bodhi smith wrote:

There was an opening premise? What "opinion" is proposed to be debated?

Definition's

Believe: intransitive verb, 1. to have firm religious faith. b: to accept as true, genuine or real. 2. to have a firm conviction as to the goodness efficacy, or ability of something. 3. To hold an opinion : think.

transitive verb, 1.a: to consider to be true or honest. b:to accept the word or evidence of. 2: to hold as an opinion : suppose.

Belief: noun, 1. A state of habit or mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing. 2. something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group. 3. conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence.

Proof: noun, 1. The cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or fact. 2. Something that induces certainty or establishes validity.

Opinion: noun, 1.a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter. b: approval, esteem. 2.a: belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge. b: a generally held view. 3.a: a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert. b: the formal expression of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Your opening premise: Is it reasonable to believe god exists? There are grounds of justifiable belief that god exists. and ... illustrate some of those grounds.

1. Is it reasonable to believe god exists?     Yes, it is reasonable for a person to have the psychological state that allows for them to think a god exists.  

2. There are justifiable belief that god exists.     I'm not sure what a "justifiable" psychological state is? Anyone?

3. Illustrate some of those grounds.     An opinion "god exists" cannot be Illustrated without proof and none exists. If you have some "proof" you will be the richest person on earth.

Plus, You would have proven an opinion, which is not possible.

bodhi

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
just for fun

Main Entry:
il·lus·trate Listen to the pronunciation of illustrate
Pronunciation:
\ˈi-ləs-ˌtrāt also i-ˈləs-\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
il·lus·trat·ed; il·lus·trat·ing
Etymology:
Latin illustratus, past participle of illustrare, from in- + lustrare to purify, make bright — more at luster
Date:
transitive verb 1 obsolete a: enlighten b: to light up 2 aarchaic : to make illustrious b obsolete (1): to make bright (2): adorn3 a: to make clear : clarify b: to make clear by giving or by serving as an example or instance c: to provide with visual features intended to explain or decorate <illustrate a book>4: to show clearly : demonstrate intransitive verb: to give an example or instance

bodhi

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:3. Illustrate some of

Quote:
3. Illustrate some of those grounds.     An opinion "god exists" cannot be Illustrated without proof and none exists. If you have some "proof" you will be the richest person on earth.

I may be incorrect Bodhi.. but.. using the definition provided by you.. the statement "without proof and none exists" is just wrong.

Quote:
Proof: noun, 1. The cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or fact. 2. Something that induces certainty or establishes validity.

The definition does not require that a certain person be compelled to accept.. nor be induced to certainty.  Therefore, to offer a counterexample to your "without proof and non exists" comment.. I may merely suggest that many people have been "induced to certainty" by evidence (1 a: an outward sign : indication b: something that furnishes proof : testimony; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter), i.e., many people have proof.  The evidence, i.e., "outward sign," may be enough for you and therefore not constitute proof for you.. but that doesn't really matter.

Now.. the statement "an opinion 'god exists' cannot be illustrated without scientific proof and none exists,'" I think would be more what you wanted to say.. but I'm not semantic-itian. Sticking out tongue  Although.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "illustrated"--and I suppose that's an important word in that sentence.

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:Quote:3.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:

I may be incorrect Bodhi.. but.. using the definition provided by you.. the statement "without proof and none exists" is just wrong.

Quote:

The definition does not require that a certain person be compelled to accept.. nor be induced to certainty.  Therefore, to offer a counterexample to your "without proof and non exists" comment.. I may merely suggest that many people have been "induced to certainty" by evidence (1 a: an outward sign : indication b: something that furnishes proof : testimony; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter), i.e., many people have proof.  The evidence, i.e., "outward sign," may be enough for you and therefore not constitute proof for you.. but that doesn't really matter.

Now.. the statement "an opinion 'god exists' cannot be illustrated without scientific proof and none exists,'" I think would be more what you wanted to say.. but I'm not semantic-itian. Sticking out tongue  Although.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "illustrated"--and I suppose that's an important word in that sentence.

"illustrated" um... I'm quoting what you said.

bodhi

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"illustrated" um...

Quote:

Er.. I don't understand.

*Although.. I am surprised to find that "illustrated" was defined by you earlier on.  Good form. I don't know how I missed that. Smiling  Still.. the rest of the point still stands I think. 

bodhi smith
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:

Er.. I don't understand.

*Although.. I am surprised to find that "illustrated" was defined by you earlier on.  Good form. I don't know how I missed that. Smiling  Still.. the rest of the point still stands I think. 

"Now.. the statement "an opinion 'god exists' cannot be illustrated without scientific proof and none exists,'" I think would be more what you wanted to say.. but I'm not semantic-itian. Sticking out tongue  Although.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "illustrated"--and I suppose that's an important word in that sentence."

I was making a subtle logic joke for my own amusement.

The statement "an opinion 'god exists' cannot be illustrated without proof and none exists." is a logical fallacy. An opinion cannot be illustrated, that's why it's an opinion, only explained within the context of that persons understanding.

bodhi

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Ah Bodhi.. you kill me with

Ah Bodhi.. you kill me with you subtle logic humor. Sticking out tongue