God is a atheist !

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is a atheist !

Lets consider , god is claming according to theists to not worship hire gods.
Actually most theists insist that god knows there are no more powerful gods then their god and that there are no other gods.
The question is “is god a atheist ”?
If god is not worshiping other gods is this making him godless ?

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote: If god is not

carx wrote:

Somebody send god an RRS shirt!

WillieBop
Theist
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Lets consider ,

carx wrote:

Actually most theists insist that god knows there are no more powerful gods then their god and that there are no other gods.

No

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you suggesting your god

Are you suggesting your god is worshiping ultra-gods ? Is he attending his churches to pray to the ultra-gods ?

If he is not a atheist he is a theist !

Remember my statement is not in conflict with religious doctrine actually it’s a extrapolation of standard monotheistic doctrine.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

Ctrl Y
Theist
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Lets consider ,

carx wrote:

Well, to be fair, if God existed, he would probably believe in his own existence.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
WillieBop wrote:carx

WillieBop wrote:

carx wrote:

No

YES

"Well, to be fair, if God existed, he would probably believe in his own existence." ~ Ctrl Y

- Of course, and to truly worship yourself is to truly worship all others equally, no higher other, no idols,  .... all is ONE.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:Somebody send

PorkChop wrote:

Somebody send god an RRS shirt!

He is big enough to have his own zip code, but it would take a miracle to get it there.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ctrl Y wrote:carx wrote:Lets

Ctrl Y wrote:

carx wrote:

Well, to be fair, if God existed, he would probably believe in his own existence.

Well atheist believe in themselves so god according to the bible is a atheist.

Maybe some theists try to debate this I don’t know why however they tend to not agree with this statement of their faith.

Actually I think it’s the forbidden topic or something If I posted this on a Christian forum in a apologetics section and some got interested for some reason it got locked. I don’t know why it’s a statement of their believes especially that other topics in the same forum that challenge their faith didn’t get locked.

Dose someone know why theists are so afraid of this realization.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
carx. "Dose someone know why

carx. "Dose someone know why theists are so afraid of this realization." ~

( Better to say dogmists / religious. Pan-theists are generally friends of the A-theists.)

Why ? Well sky daddys are popular. Wish one would adopt me. Umm, why don't sky daddys want me ? Gosh , what was that prayer again !!?!!

Hey I know , just pretend, and shut everyone else objecting, out of my fantasy .... Lock thread , close eyes, close ears, no messing with my sky daddy .....  

yeah carx, you knew that ! .... just thinking about those adoptees ....

WHY do I laugh, when it really isn't funny ????????????   

Folklore from the East, "When seriously asked , what a about god?, a wise Buddha laughed" .....  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddha means wise one. Buddha heads will say Jesus was a Buddha, that bible Paul perverted the buddha Jesus dirt simple message of "oneness".

How many Buddhas? , many many.

Yes there is the most popular Buddha, who said, many Buddhas before me, and many to come, and please FIX my words.

A wise one is always loving, the kindest , the loudest. Love is unabashed.

WillieBop
Theist
User is offlineOffline
"Well atheist believe in

"Well atheist believe in themselves so god according to the bible is a atheist."

No. Maybe this is a language problem.

Knight
User is offlineOffline
I think this is an

I think this is an interesting point. Is God an atheist? If he did exist, he would be an atheist in regards to all others except himself...but can a God view himself as a God? The entire concept of a God just became even more absurd in my mind...

OBSCENITEASE
OBSCENITEASE's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Thou shalt have no other

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."
 Ex. 20:3

I am an apostate so I understand the xian spin on this verse. 'We shouldn't put anything before our relationship with God.  There's only ONE God and he doesn't want us putting other 'things' before him.'

But that's not what it fuckin says, godamnit!. Smiling Isn't it also a valid interpretation to believe that 'God' is a polytheist and simply affirms that 'he' is the biggest and bestest of them all.

There are many references where they acknowledge the existence of other/strange ‘Gods’.  The OT writers (GOD.. Ha!) don’t disagree that there ARE other gods.  They just believed that ‘their god’ was the biggest and best.

So, dear Christian, I think that your ‘god’ is a polytheist… according to HIS WORD anyway.

(Now watch closely as the fundies step in and take all of this shit seriously as if it makes any difference in living a satisfying life… it’ll be funny… watch. They may even site all the CONTRADICTING verses where 'god' says that there ARE NO OTHER GODS.  That'll be even funnier!)

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
rafael wrote: PROSECUTIONIs

rafael wrote:

PROSECUTIONIs there a God? I will not try to say yes or no to this question. Rather, I will make this place a law court. I will ask you to be the judge, and I will be the prosecutor. ..... TL;DR !

Red Herring

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
THOUGHT ABOUT GOD? - theist

THOUGHT ABOUT GOD? - theist to an atheist:  "Well, do you mean to say that you never think about God? In fact, even while you were talking, you were thinking about Him. This indicates that you do have a capacity for God. There is no one who has never thought about God. He may try not to think much about Him. Since this thought is in you, there must be such an object outside of you.  ~ Rafael  ///////

Everything is 100% god, every particle , every thought. Therefore there is no something other above me to worship. I do of course have my favorite things I admire.

Can you direct me to something that is not god? Is consciousness your god? Isn't your god more of a science hypothesis / question. Would your designer leave you guessing?

Not such a smart loving designer I'd say .... World War 3 next ? God design, freewill? 

Rafael, you can edit your post to include paragraphs for easier reading.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
rafael wrote:STOP POSTING

rafael wrote:

STOP POSTING THIS SHIT!  Write your own words or get the hell out.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
OBSCENITEASE wrote:But

OBSCENITEASE wrote:
But that's not what it fuckin says, godamnit!. Smiling Isn't it also a valid interpretation to believe that 'God' is a polytheist and simply affirms that 'he' is the biggest and bestest of them all.

There are many references where they acknowledge the existence of other/strange ‘Gods’.  The OT writers (GOD.. Ha!) don’t disagree that there ARE other gods.  They just believed that ‘their god’ was the biggest and best.

So, dear Christian, I think that your ‘god’ is a polytheist… according to HIS WORD anyway.

I agree that "the Lord is God, the mighty God, the great King over all the gods", as Psalm 95 puts it.  Any thinking person of the Abrahamic tradition will admit that creatures have striven to deify themselves, have masqueraded as gods demanding homage and sacrifice.  Examples of this range from the Shinto "kami" to the mischievous and bickering gods of the Greek pantheon to the horrible and bloodthirsty Moloch of the cult of Baal.  Can there be anthing more demonic than the bloodthirsty gods of the Aztec pantheon demanding the sacrifice of as many as 25,000 human victims in a year?  I can't think of what it would be.

The difference is between the Creator God (Yahweh, if you'd rather) and His creatures who deign to be "like unto gods" (Gen 3).

And it hasn't ended.  I am one who goes so far as to say that Islam, although technically a Christian heresy, worships one such god; that Allah, in his solitary and horrible splendor, is one such creature who has estabished himself as a deity.  Nor is Allah alone.  He keeps company with the dollar, science, the phallus, Man himself.  Most horrible and magnificent of all are comfort and his consort, convenience on whose altars are spilled the blood of four thousand innocents a day in the US alone.

Oh yes, my friend, you are most assuredy right; there are most definitely other gods.  Pick one, you probably already have.  Without a doubt, we are all worshipping at least one, probably more of them.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Oh, we have an anti-abortion

Oh, we have an anti-abortion fucktard here.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
The usual devastating

The usual devastating shizzle riposte...touche!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I consider a fetus as no

I consider a fetus as no more value than an insect (at the very early stage - blastocyst it actually contains fewer cells than the brain of a fly.) and consider pro-lifers as bad as Nazis.

I really see a woman aborting an unwanted fetus as equivalent to cutting out a tumor or taking an antibiotic to get rid of a disease.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes...we've discussed this

Yes...we've discussed this b4.

Quote:
I consider a fetus as no more value than an insect (at the very early stage - blastocyst it actually contains fewer cells than the brain of a fly.) and consider pro-lifers as bad as Nazis.

In that case, Sieg fucken Heil, bitch!

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

OBSCENITEASE
OBSCENITEASE's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote:Oh yes, my

totus_tuus wrote:

Oh yes, my friend, you are most assuredy right; there are most definitely other gods.  Pick one, you probably already have.  Without a doubt, we are all worshipping at least one, probably more of them.

YEAH!!!!!   The Christian said I was right about something... so I MUST BE RIGHT!

Seriously, though, your response was very well written and I appreciate that you believe in more than one god... but that your 'God' is the biggest, coolest, and mostest rightest God of them all... cuz he made all the other little gods and stuff... and he's the only 'real' god... cuz the definition of him is like all-powerful and stuff.  cool.

As far as picking a god... i certainly have..... and I'm not telling who it is cuz you don't know him anyway... it's just too bad that MY GOD is the REAL God that REALLY DID create EVERYTHING... but you can't be in OUR club until you just believe that by faith and because it just feels right... so... Praise My God with an Unspeakable Name!

I'm praying for you because you don't know my god and don't even believe in my god.  To me... You're an ATHEIST!

OMG... there's an Atheist in here that's calling himself a Theist!  Sheep in wolfs clothing... sheep in wolves clothing everyone!

Fuck.... this is all so unbelievably rediculous... but so much God Damn fun!

HAIL SATAN!

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In that case, Sieg

Quote:
In that case, Sieg fucken Heil, bitch!

Ouch!  Mebbe that last bourbon was a bad idea.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
OBSCENITEASE wrote:I'm

OBSCENITEASE wrote:
I'm praying for you because you don't know my god and don't even believe in my god.  To me... You're an ATHEIST!

OMG... there's an Atheist in here that's calling himself a Theist!  Sheep in wolfs clothing... sheep in wolves clothing everyone!

Fuck.... this is all so unbelievably rediculous... but so much God Damn fun!

HAIL SATAN!

More likely I'm an apostate, an infidel, or a heretic than an atheist.  More than likely I'm quite willing to believe in your god, just that I'm less than willing to abandon the worship of mine for the worship of yours.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're wrong, totus_tuus, to

You're wrong, totus_tuus, to try to equate your god with a phallus (though the similarity has also struck me at times). The problem is worship. You guys actually worship yours (your god I mean, not your penis). When the word "worship" is applied to a penis - or indeed any of the other things you cite as targets of worship so that they constitute "false gods" - it is used euphemistically, and that seems to be the bit you're not getting.

One might be obsessed with one's penis. One might even believe that it created the universe. But there are very few people who go around door to door and invite others to share in this obsession. Even the most devout penis-worshipper will shy away from insisting that statues related to it should adorn entrances to court buildings, or that images of it hang in class rooms around the land. We have as yet to see any movement aiming to have our trust in that organ stamped on our currencies, or - penis forbid - that only our version of the penis should be declared the "one true penis" and that all other designs be considered heretical deviations from that ideal. In short (and I use the term in short" referring to someone else of course) penis-worship seems benignly confined to that netherworld of euphemisms describing mild psychiatric disorders.

Why isn't yours I wonder? (Your form of worship, of course, not your possible penis obsession)

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now that, Nordmann, is a

Now that, Nordmann, is a clever and well written post.  Definitely worth a reply.  Unfortunately, time is short right now, but trust me, a reply will be forthcoming.

MattShizzle would do well to read this as an example of what clever repartee truly is.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm all ears. But not

I'm all ears.

But not holding my breath in anticipation of a sensible reply. Surprise me.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Why now?

carx wrote:

Didn't I post this thread on April 21,2008 ?  

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lots of specific themes

Lots of specific themes repeat themselves on these threads. Even if you page back through the subjects to check, it is very easy to miss that someone has asked already what's on your mind now.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
nordmann wrote: When the

nordmann wrote:
 When the word "worship" is applied to a penis - or indeed any of the other things you cite as targets of worship so that they constitute "false gods" - it is used euphemistically, and that seems to be the bit you're not getting.

A valid deefinition of the word "worship" is extravagant respect or admiration for, or devtion to an object of esteem.  That's not a euphemism (ie, "terminate" instead of "kill&quotEye-wink, it's a literal use of the word.One might be obsessed with one's penis.

Quote:
One might even believe that it created the universe. But there are very few people who go around door to door and invite others to share in this obsession.

You don't think so?  Take a look at the temples to sexual gratification in the form of adult bookstores and strip clubs.  How about the proliferation of porn sites on the internet, the spam emails advertising such sites?  Seems like the evangelization of the gospel of physical pleasure to me.

Quote:
Even the most devout penis-worshipper will shy away from insisting that statues related to it should adorn entrances to court buildings, or that images of it hang in class rooms around the land. We have as yet to see any movement aiming to have our trust in that organ stamped on our currencies, or - penis forbid - that only our version of the penis should be declared the "one true penis" and that all other designs be considered heretical deviations from that ideal.

No, but its message is conveyed on billboards and mass media advertising.  That is the message that sexual gratification is the raison d'etre of man.  Any belief other than that getting off the oftenest with the mostest hottest is the heresy of this cult.  Anyone who practices sexual restraint or purity is a heretic, an apostate.  Those who preach that message  and live that example are the heresiarchs.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus,Genesis

totus_tuus,

Genesis wrote:

6:7  And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Judges wrote:

21:7-12  How shall we do for wives for them that remain, seeing we have sworn by the LORD that we will not give them of our daughters to wives? And they said, What one is there of the tribes of Israel that came not up to Mizpeh to the LORD? And, behold, there came none to the camp from Jabeshgilead to the assembly. For the people were numbered, and, behold, there were none of the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead there. And the congregation sent thither twelve thousand men of the valiantest, and commanded them, saying, Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead with the edge of the sword, with the women and the children. And this is the thing that ye shall do, Ye shall utterly destroy every male, and every woman that hath lain by man. And they found among the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead four hundred young virgins, that had known no man by lying with any male: and they brought them unto the camp to Shiloh, which is in the land of Canaan.

I agree. Deities that demand death and killing suck.

-Triften

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:A valid deefinition of

Quote:

A valid deefinition of the word "worship" is extravagant respect or admiration for, or devtion to an object of esteem.  That's not a euphemism (ie, "terminate" instead of "kill&quotEye-wink, it's a literal use of the word.One might be obsessed with one's penis.

A valid definition of extravagant (according to the dictionary, which tends to be right in these matters) is:
  1. Given to lavish or imprudent expenditure:
  2. Exceeding reasonable bounds: 
  3. Extremely abundant; profuse:
  4. Unreasonably high; exorbitant: 
  5. Straying beyond limits or bounds; wandering.

If, as you seem to insist, this definition should be included as an essential part of the definition of worship then I can only agree with you. And I am glad to see from your insistence on the term that you are beginning to see the error of your delusional ways.

Quote:

Take a look at the temples to sexual gratification in the form of adult bookstores and strip clubs.  How about the proliferation of porn sites on the internet, the spam emails advertising such sites?  Seems like the evangelization of the gospel of physical pleasure to me.

I am equally glad to see that you recognise the thin or non-existent line between prurient business practise and organised religion. That you can see a parallel between selling sex and selling religion is something I must take as a positive wth regard to your personal salvation from the delusion with which you have been afflicted.

Quote:

No, but its message is conveyed on billboards and mass media advertising.  That is the message that sexual gratification is the raison d'etre of man.  Any belief other than that getting off the oftenest with the mostest hottest is the heresy of this cult.  Anyone who practices sexual restraint or purity is a heretic, an apostate.  Those who preach that message  and live that example are the heresiarchs.

Again I commend you on taking that crucial step to having the scales fall from our eyes. Your perception in noting, for example, that an imagined "raison d'etre" of man can be packaged seductively and sold to unsuspecting customers purely on the basis of inventing an ideal, then convincing the customer it's an essential acquirement and, while promising to help them achieve it, rubbishing any perceived threat to the execution of the scam really impresses me.

You're obviously a person not suckered by ill-thought-out doctrines based on hogwash. So tell me, why are we arguing?

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
nordmann wrote:A valid

nordmann wrote:
A valid definition of extravagant (according to the dictionary, which tends to be right in these matters) is:

1. Given to lavish or imprudent expenditure:
  2. Exceeding reasonable bounds: 
  3. Extremely abundant; profuse:
  4. Unreasonably high; exorbitant: 
  5. Straying beyond limits or bounds; wandering.

If, as you seem to insist, this definition should be included as an essential part of the definition of worship then I can only agree with you. And I am glad to see from your insistence on the term that you are beginning to see the error of your delusional ways.

Not all bad.  Allow me to clarify which definition of extravagant I wish to use.  I pick the first half of 1, and 3.  There, that's done.  Not every definition of a word must be invoked when the word is used.  It's called context.

Quote:
I am equally glad to see that you recognise the thin or non-existent line between prurient business practise and organised religion. That you can see a parallel between selling sex and selling religion is something I must take as a positive wth regard to your personal salvation from the delusion with which you have been afflicted.

Agreed.  Now let's say there's a shit store right next to a shinola store.  I can't help it if you buy the wrong stuff because you don't know shit from shinola.  Both are "selling" a product, that is, a philosophy, one of which has a much greater intrinsic value than the other.

Quote:
Again I commend you on taking that crucial step to having the scales fall from our eyes. Your perception in noting, for example, that an imagined "raison d'etre" of man can be packaged seductively and sold to unsuspecting customers purely on the basis of inventing an ideal, then convincing the customer it's an essential acquirement and, while promising to help them achieve it, rubbishing any perceived threat to the execution of the scam really impresses me.

I know.  Thankfully, I've found the bona fide raison d'etre, no the slickly packaged one (even though the packaging was much slicker, indeed).

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now I'm beginning to lose

Now I'm beginning to lose faith in your ability to extricate yourself from the shit you're in after all.

Your "example" unfortunately exposes the kernel of your problem. You claim that the trick as a consumer is to distinguish between shit and shinola. That is of course correct when the consumer is uninfluenced by anything except cold reason and logic when choosing what he will consume. In that scenario the consumer might even opt not to buy either.

But that's not the analogy that applies here. The trick as a shit-salesman is not just to fool the customer into opting for his product instead of shinola, but to actually believe it's a worthwhile purchase in its own right. This is achieved through the usual false or exaggerated claims on its behalf, and then reinforced through whatever measures can be taken to enforce customer loyalty.

In the case of religion this marketing strategy has, in the past, gone even further and was taken to the extreme that all competing products were forcibly removed from the marketplace - this particular brand of shit having received powerful political endorsement for significantly long periods of time. A small element of choice has in comparatively recent times been introduced but the long-term effect of such aggressive market strategy over two thousand or so years has left in its wake a significant number of shit-purchasers who are convinced they are holding shinola and are so convinced that they scoff at shinola purchasers for having bought shit.

As you prove.

PS - I really laughed at your joke about how you can pick and choose which bits of a definition you will subjectively apply and call it "context". Of course, if it wasn't a joke, and you really think you can over-rule semantics in the cause of making a religious assertion allegedly tenable, then thanks. It's an accusation I make against religious people all the time which they flatly deny in a knee-jerk way. It's great to see someone blatantly doing it for all to see and actually daring to defend the practise.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann   Rocking hot

Nordmann

Rocking hot that was !  Wish I could write that cool shit !

IOU , like beer ? My harem is yours to visit !   ..... The address is RRS !

Turn it up GIRLS !  Imagine !

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
nordmann wrote:But that's

nordmann wrote:
But that's not the analogy that applies here. The trick as a shit-salesman is not just to fool the customer into opting for his product instead of shinola, but to actually believe it's a worthwhile purchase in its own right. This is achieved through the usual false or exaggerated claims on its behalf, and then reinforced through whatever measures can be taken to enforce customer loyalty.

Returning to the specific example we were using as an alternative deity, that is, the phallus, or the pursuit of sexual pleasures, are you saying that purveyors of that philosophy don't play upon emotion?

Quote:
In the case of religion this marketing strategy has, in the past, gone even further and was taken to the extreme that all competing products were forcibly removed from the marketplace - this particular brand of shit having received powerful political endorsement for significantly long periods of time.

I am well aware of the heavy handedness applied by the Church in the case of some heresies.  I further agree that in some instances the Church reacted excessively.  On the other hand, the shipwreck of western civilization which was the Reformation, with its design-your-own religion mentality, and the Enlightentment, which insists upon the obvious error that humanity can fix things on its own, sometimes make me wonder.

Quote:
A small element of choice has in comparatively recent times been introduced but the long-term effect of such aggressive market strategy over two thousand or so years has left in its wake a significant number of shit-purchasers who are convinced they are holding shinola and are so convinced that they scoff at shinola purchasers for having bought shit.

So that concepts like integrity, respect for life, self-sacrifice, honesty, and self-discipline are shit?  If that's the case, I'll wallow in it. 

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, but if you think that

Ah, but if you think that failure to believe in a deity on your part would mean that you lose your integrity, your self-sacrifice, your honesty and your self-discipline, then surely you have a very low opinion of your fellow human beings and, most crucially, yourself.

I would suggest that shit-salesmen wet themselves with excitement when they see people with such obviously low self-esteem approaching. In that light, if I were you, I would be inclined to suspend my purchase of the product and engage in a little time-out, using that time to assess how I managed to get myself into a position of dependency on such an obviously parasitic product and fallen victim to such an opportunistic and cynical sales pitch. Just take a look at yourself, for example, and your own words as expressed above. These guys have actually convinced you that anything good about yourself is to their credit, not yours, and have you believing that you have to keep your subscription up just to avail of more of that "goodness". Now that's great salesmanship, by any standards! Who else (besides the banks) makes capital out of selling you back what's yours already?

Answering your first point, purveyors of all dodgy produce do indeed play upon emotion - but more especially insecurity. It is always a good idea if you're selling crap to deflect attention from the faults in the product and on to the customer's own perceived faults which the product is pretending to address. So yes, in that respect religion and pornography sales-pitches do indeed display remarkable overlaps, especially when you throw in that both promise to deliver a particular nirvana as the pay-off, and both signally fail to do so (though both are very adept at convincing the customer that the real pay-off is just a little bit ahead, as long as you keep buying into the crap, of course).

I will refrain from labouring the obvious irony implicit in labelling "The Enlightenment" a negative development. But if it was I who had said such an obviously silly thing I would be the first to bite my tongue, humbly beg forgiveness from all those within earshot, and crawl into a quiet corner to contemplate my addiction to whatever it was I had bought into that was causing such inanity to come out of my mouth. But then, along with my self-sacrifice, honesty and self-discipline, integrity is one of those qualities of mine which has so far ensured I haven't fallen victim to such blatantly exploitative and cynical crap-merchants.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
WOW, I pronounce Nordmann

WOW, I pronounce Nordmann the real Messiah  , this weeks chosen one. 

Just for linguistic historical review,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah