Evidence For God's Existence

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evidence For God's Existence

What is the evidence for God's existence?

Answer: "Self-awareness"

Self-awareness is consciousness aware of itself. And what this means is that to be self-aware is to be consciously aware that I am aware that I am aware that I am aware and so forth ad infinitum. There you have it. Self-awareness is consciousness that is simultaneously one mind and many (i.e. infinite). Of course, the conventional term we acribe to infinite mind is "God." This is the proof that infinite mind (God) exists and it is self-evident.

It is written that only "the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." (Psalms 53:1) And now you know why. Because only a fool would deny something that is so obviously self-evident. Don't be foolish. Wake-up from your deep slumber and acknowledge your true Self.  Smiling

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

urizen9
urizen9's picture
User is offlineOffline
intelligent design

Evolution states that whatever walks the earth evolved by small steps. Each creature, no matter how "developed" is a kaleidoscope of miniature trial and errors, their successes and failures. If we could find a creature for whom this is not true, so the IDs argue, then we can deduce some kind of "manufacturer" who made this creature which exhibits this "jump" in its evolution.

If we could find a creature sporting a set of wheels, they continue, that would be proof of ID. A nice set of wheels or some kind of rollers would come very handy but don't exist because they cannot evolve in smaller steps where every trial  makes some evolutionary sense. A wheel is an all or nothing proposition.

Our good friends at ID did actually manage to find a bacterium with wheel which turned out not to be but this is not what I want to mention now. What I want to say is that there is the wheel. Look around and you'll see some in a hurry. Is that proof of an intelligent designer of wheels?

Well yes and no. From strictly the wheel's point of view its evolution had to be like that of the rabbits, cockroach and all other creatures in the world. (This will be clearer in robotics.) So what are those small increments where every step seems to make sense? Well, to start with, the mental conception. This seems to be the continuation of the road from nature's laboratory.

Therefore even if we could prove an "intelligent designer" it wouldn't help the superstitious  because  it wouldn't give them the kind of trump they're dreaming about.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
urizen9Thanks for showing up

urizen9

Thanks for showing up and posting .... killing dogma is evolution !

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:What is the

Paisley wrote:

Self-awareness is consciousness aware of itself. And what this means is that to be self-aware is to be consciously aware that I am aware that I am aware that I am aware and so forth ad infinitum. There you have it. Self-awareness is consciousness that is simultaneously one mind and many (i.e. infinite). Of course, the conventional term we acribe to infinite mind is "God." This is the proof that infinite mind (God) exists and it is self-evident.

It is written that only "the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." (Psalms 53:1) And now you know why. Because only a fool would deny something that is so obviously self-evident. Don't be foolish. Wake-up from your deep slumber and acknowledge your true Self.  Smiling 

Ok, sorry, got in late and didn't read the 100-odd posts, many of which I'm sure are brilliant. Also guilty of replying to Paisley which I know is a waste of time.

I don't understand why you would connect inifinite minds and self-awareness (maybe I need to read above), how many personalities do you have. If your self-awareness has infinite minds, does that mean that you are god?

There is no evidence that self-awareness, conciousness etc have anything to do with god. They are attributes of this wonderful neural computer we have in our head.

And i say "it is the deluded who says there is a god"

Don't you know yet that quoting bible versus at athiests is pointless?

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately, ronin-dog,

Unfortunately, ronin-dog, quoting the words of Jesus at Pauline Christians is just as wasteful.

DeathMunkyGod
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:What is the

Paisley wrote:

It is written that only "the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." (Psalms 53:1) And now you know why. Because only a fool would deny something that is so obviously self-evident. Don't be foolish. Wake-up from your deep slumber and acknowledge your true Self.

Self awareness is simply the awareness of self as distinct from the environment.  Where's the infinite regression?  Consciousness that is simultaneously one mind and many?  Can you prove that?  And then how did you go from many to infinite, just out of curiosity?  Who ascribes the term "God" to infinite mind?  What exactly is infinite mind here?  I've heard of ascribing omniscience to god, but not god to omniscience, but that still wouldn't be relevant.

I agree that I have seen a lot of fools assert without evidence that there is no god, and I have seen many more fools assert without evidence that there is a god.  but I don't see what's in any way self evident about anything you've said? 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
DeathMunkyGod wrote:Paisley

DeathMunkyGod wrote:

Paisley wrote:

It is written that only "the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." (Psalms 53:1) And now you know why. Because only a fool would deny something that is so obviously self-evident. Don't be foolish. Wake-up from your deep slumber and acknowledge your true Self.

Self awareness is simply the awareness of self as distinct from the environment.  Where's the infinite regression?  Consciousness that is simultaneously one mind and many?  Can you prove that?  And then how did you go from many to infinite, just out of curiosity?  Who ascribes the term "God" to infinite mind?  What exactly is infinite mind here?  I've heard of ascribing omniscience to god, but not god to omniscience, but that still wouldn't be relevant.

I agree that I have seen a lot of fools assert without evidence that there is no god, and I have seen many more fools assert without evidence that there is a god.  but I don't see what's in any way self evident about anything you've said? 

Paisley normally actively hovers over any thread that he has started.  His continued absence is unusual in that regard. 

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Paisley normally actively hovers over any thread that he has started.  His continued absence is unusual in that regard. 

He must be on vacation on he has changed his name to protect the guilty.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
DeathMunkyGod wrote:Self

DeathMunkyGod wrote:
Self awareness is simply the awareness of self as distinct from the environment.  Where's the infinite regression?

Are you aware?

Are you aware that you are aware?

Are you aware that you are aware that you are aware?

If you can answer "yes" to all three of these questions, then logic dictates that I can keep asking the same question (modified in a similar fashion) and you would keep answering "yes" ad infinitum (at least in theory). There's the infinite regress.

Of course, if you can't answer the questions in the affirmative, then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:DeathMunkyGod

Paisley wrote:

DeathMunkyGod wrote:
Self awareness is simply the awareness of self as distinct from the environment.  Where's the infinite regression?

Are you aware?

If you can answer "yes" to all three of these questions, then logic dictates that I can keep asking the same question modified in a similar fashion and you would keep answering "yes" ad infinitum (at least in theory). There's the infinite regress.

Of course, if you can't answer the questions in the affirmative, then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

You're back ! Yay ! *hugs*

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:I don't

ronin-dog wrote:
I don't understand why you would connect inifinite minds and self-awareness (maybe I need to read above), how many personalities do you have. If your self-awareness has infinite minds, does that mean that you are god?

There is no evidence that self-awareness, conciousness etc have anything to do with god. They are attributes of this wonderful neural computer we have in our head.

And i say "it is the deluded who says there is a god"

I would think that a "Zen-atheist" would appreciate the fact that Buddhism is based on the primacy of consciousness.

Quote:
In Buddhism, consciousness-only or mind-only (Sanskrit: vijñapti-mātratā, vijñapti-mātra, citta-mātra; Chinese: 唯識; Pinyin: wei shi; Japanese: yuishiki) is a theory according to which all existence is nothing but consciousness, and therefore there is nothing that lies outside of the mind.

source: Wikipedia "Consiousness-only"

The Sanskrit term "citta-mātra" (consciousness-only) is clearly a God-concept. Buddhists call it "Buddha-nature" while Hindus call it "Brahman." Same difference.

In Advaita Vedanta (the major philosophical school of Hindu thought), there is only one infinite Self (Sanskrit "Paramatman" ).

The ego is not God (or we could say that it is an aspect of God's mind entertaining the illusion of being a separate self).

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
urizen9 wrote:Therefore even

urizen9 wrote:
Therefore even if we could prove an "intelligent designer" it wouldn't help the superstitious  because  it wouldn't give them the kind of trump they're dreaming about.

Your response has absolutely no relevance to the OP of this thread.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
How does the fact that one

How does the fact that one is aware of being aware (to whatever point of iteration you wish to bring it to) differ from simple self-awareness? At what point does it become a justification for the existence of god?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Are you

Paisley wrote:

Are you aware?

If you can answer "yes" to all three of these questions, then logic dictates that I can keep asking the same question (modified in a similar fashion) and you would keep answering "yes" ad infinitum (at least in theory). There's the infinite regress.

Hi Paisley. That's a good argument for infinite awareness but I am not sure that answering yes to the inductive step so easy, it's a really difficult concept to think clearly about.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:How much

Nordmann wrote:
How much wronger do you have to be before you realise you are embarrassing yourself?

Nordmann wrote:
The infinite exists as a physical actuality. Learn physics.

The infinite exists only as a mathematical abstraction, not a physical actuality. Only consciousness is infinite because it implies infinite self-reflection.

Quote:
In physics, approximations of real numbers are used for continuous measurements and natural numbers are used for discrete measurements (i.e. counting). It is therefore assumed by physicists that no measurable quantity could have an infinite value

source: Wikipedia "Infinity"

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann

Nordmann wrote:
How does the fact that one is aware of being aware (to whatever point of iteration you wish to bring it to) differ from simple self-awareness? At what point does it become a justification for the existence of god?

At the point when you realize it would entail an infinite regress.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:So, maybe

AmericanIdle wrote:
So, maybe you're right,...Perhaps self awareness does lead to god. 

I am and it does. The goal of self-knoweldge (God-consciousness) is the telos of the universe.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Paisley

Eloise wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Are you aware?

Hi Paisley. That's a good argument for infinite awareness but I am not sure that answering yes to the inductive step so easy, it's a really difficult concept to think clearly about.

On second thought, you know, a Yes answer to any iteration is necessarily a yes to the next before you even induct it. I mean if you answer Yes to 'Are you aware?' it necessarily entails n+1 - you're aware that you're aware - and so on so forth.

So of course it comes ultimately down to the base case, Are You Aware? And rest depends entirely on the correct answer to that question. If it's yes, then awareness extends to infinity - and like Nordmann pointed out, at what point does it stop being an iteration of self reflecting awareness and start being God? And if there is a point what then for God? Is he not self aware?

Alternately we can say that there's something wrong with the base case because it leads to infinite regress and doesn't look like what we call awareness at all.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: The goal

Paisley wrote:
The goal of self-knoweldge (God-consciousness) is the telos of the universe.

Let me try a different approach. Everything I've read that you have written here tells me that you recognize God (just a word you choose to use) in yourself. The above God-consciousness you speak of.

So how does that make you different from I Am God As You, or any other pantheist? What are you trying to prove? I know that I am self-aware, and you know that you are self-aware. So we are both God-conscious, according to your words, and both conscious, according to my words. What's the difference?

What do you want to obtain? All the people here are self-aware, so they all know "God" as well as you. They just don't call it God. To them God means the supernatural being that some people think did real things in the past, like cause worldwide floods and impregnate virgins, or dictate a long list of Social Laws to Muhammed, or whatever. And that definition is alot more apropriate than yours, if you ask me. Once you resort to wordgames to "prove" God, then you believe in "God" as much as Einstein did, which means, not at all.

And if you really do believe in an actual supernatural entity (and what, with all the bible-quotes, I pressume you might), then provide proof of that entity, not of human self-consciousness. There is no connection between the truth-value of human self-consciousness, and the truth-value of stories of the Bible, or the Quran, or any other myths. They are two entirely seperate things.

If you think they are "wise" books, or one of them is, (I don't, but to each his own), then here follows a list of books in which I have seen "Wisdom" much greater than in the bible. They are stories that tell about specific things that happens to the characters therein. Shall I believe those stories to be absolutely true, because I find "Wisdom" in reading and contemplating those stories, or shall I consider them to be fictional stories, made up by their authors, regardless of the "wisdom" I may gain from reading and contemplating them?

Use Of Weapons - By Iain M. Banks.

His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman

Paradise Lost - John Milton

Why aren't these books "holy". Why are they not "true" in the literal sense? If you think they are then you are a pantheist, and then we are in agreement, we just use words differently. If you think they aren't and the Bible or some other text is, then you are a deluded fool believing very silly stories to be factual. Or if you just think the Bible is "wise" while the above books are not, then you are still just a pantheist, but sadly, with bad taste in literature.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:DeathMunkyGod

Paisley wrote:

DeathMunkyGod wrote:

Are you aware?

Except of course, that being aware of one's awareness already includes being aware of being aware of one's awareness. After all, it is that awareness that one is aware of to begin with.

If I am aware of my awareness, then being aware of that fact is merely one part of the awareness I am already aware of.

This is why we say you're dealing with recursion, Paisley, not regress.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:This is why we

BMcD wrote:

Oh yeah... oops, um...

Note to self: Attention to detail.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Eloise ,Can one remove them

Eloise ,

Can one remove them self as to not commit recursion ?   

[ EDIT 1-18-09 ]  - What is the definition of recusion spoken here. I really can't find the one I was refering to, caring me?

Nikolaj, the lable "pantheist", while I appreciate much of it's "non-dogmatic, no deity, god just means nature stance", doesn't suite me overall. I'm with Einstein's "g-o-d", who liked Spizzoza's g-o-d ideas, and thought progressive buddhism as the best of major  "religion like philosophies", as it's always renewing and embracing of science.

I really dig Dawkins and Harris' ideas regarging pantheism etc. It's "Sexed up atheism", said Dawkins."   

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:On second

Eloise wrote:
On second thought, you know, a Yes answer to any iteration is necessarily a yes to the next before you even induct it. I mean if you answer Yes to 'Are you aware?' it necessarily entails n+1 - you're aware that you're aware - and so on so forth.

So of course it comes ultimately down to the base case, Are You Aware? And rest depends entirely on the correct answer to that question. If it's yes, then awareness extends to infinity - and like Nordmann pointed out, at what point does it stop being an iteration of self reflecting awareness and start being God? And if there is a point what then for God? Is he not self aware?

Alternately we can say that there's something wrong with the base case because it leads to infinite regress and doesn't look like what we call awareness at all.

The infinite self-reflection exists NOW. The logical construct is simply an argument to prove this point.

Do you believe an infinite regress is a logical fallacy?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Such crapology. You may or

Such crapology.

You may or may not be talking pure shite just for the hell of it but either way, every time you press your little finger on the enter button, a shiver of unfathomable gratitude that I still possess at least an ounce remaining of the faculty of reason washes over me like a tsunami.

You poor, poor, man.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Except of course,

BMcD wrote:
Except of course, that being aware of one's awareness already includes being aware of being aware of one's awareness. After all, it is that awareness that one is aware of to begin with.

Agreed. This is the whole point! Being aware of one's awareness already includes being aware of being aware of one's awarenes just as it already includes being aware of being aware and so forth ad infinitum.

BMcD wrote:
If I am aware of my awareness, then being aware of that fact is merely one part of the awareness I am already aware of.

Okay. Have it your way. Responding indefinitely to the question involves an infinite recursion (the regress is a logical construct). This should not be confused with the infinite self-reflection which is a present reality. That infinite self-reflection is a present reality is the reason we can answer "yes" to the question posed indefinitely.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:

Agreed. This is the whole point! Being aware of one's awareness already includes being aware of being aware of one's awarenes just as it already includes being aware of being aware and so forth ad infinitum.

BMcD wrote:

Okay. Have it your way. Responding indefinitely to the question involves an infinite recursion (the regress is a logical construct). This should not be confused with the infinite self-reflection which is a present reality. That infinite self-reflection is a present reality is the reason we can answer "yes" to the question posed indefinitely.

As BMcD wrote, it's not regress. You're not going back to a prior state.

You are simply returning to the same state. I don't know if it's recursion or simply infinite iteration.

In your view, this tiny BASIC program

10 ? " I am self aware."

20 goto 10

is self-aware and proves the existence of God.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley, opinions regarding

Paisley, opinions regarding consciousness are interesting, but I still don't understand your message as to correcting the "world view" of we atheists in a some positive sense. Is it simply to accept some sort of god definition ?  

And is there a reason you don't seem to post replies to the theist fundys here at RRS ? 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Paisley, opinions regarding consciousness are interesting, but I still don't understand your message as to correcting the "world view" of we atheists in a some positive sense. Is it simply to accept some sort of god definition ?  

And is there a reason you don't seem to post replies to the theist fundys here at RRS ? 

Wait ... is this iGod in magnificently lucid form? What happened while I was asleep?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Will    ahh, now don't

Will    ahh, now don't being trying to keep me sober, I don't much like being serious ... Heck, I think I'll have a beer, and hey it's almost 4:20 ! Umm, better check my Rum stock, don't like going dry ....  

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's better!

That's better!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Will 

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Will    ahh, now don't being trying to keep me sober, I don't much like being serious

But that was two solid, lucid questions! Sober iGod, come back to us!

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This should not be

Quote:

This should not be confused with the infinite self-reflection which is a present reality. That infinite self-reflection is a present reality is the reason we can answer "yes" to the question posed indefinitely ...

You poor, poor man.

I assume you're getting help for this? Or is that too big an assumption to make? (Lived in the US - I know how shitty the mental health program works).

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Geezz Will, but god just

Geezz Will, but god just wants to have fun fun fun!  Fun is gods religion ... the devil doesn't want us to know ....

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Geezz

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Geezz Will, but god just wants to have fun fun fun!  Fun is gods religion ... the devil doesn't want us to know ....

That's okay, from what I remember of your math, the devil is also god. So ... actually, no ... that one's weird. That way god would not want god to know what god's religion is (so that god could worship god unbeknownst to god?). It's like a black hole of confusion, where god seriously needs therapy.

The sober iGod had pointed, relevant questions. That's also fun! Okay, maybe just to me.

What I'm saying is that I prefer I AM GOD AS YOU to I AM RUM AS YOU.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Will, I knew that was an

Will, I knew that was an error, you might mention, as I wrote it, but was just making a point of how silly god concepts can get.

I agree I get sloppy drunk, but it's been fun. I was never much of a drinker till about 5 yrs ago. Kind of another hobby now, like RRS, as I over due my interests. LOL , wise man. Call me on my bad, always .... 

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:

Except it's not infinite. You're aware of the completeness of your awareness. Repeating it doesn't add anything. Not one single iota.

Quote:
BMcD wrote:

That infinite self-reflection also doesn't exist, because again, once you are aware of the whole, saying that you are aware of the part of the whole that consists of the awareness of the whole adds exactly nothing, because it is already part of the set of 'what you're aware of'.

Not infinite. Only circular.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:In your view,

jcgadfly wrote:

In your view, this tiny BASIC program

10 ? " I am self aware."

20 goto 10

is self-aware and proves the existence of God.

Worse: In his view, those two lines are infinitely large.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I would think

Paisley wrote:

I would think that a "Zen-atheist" would appreciate the fact that Buddhism is based on the primacy of consciousness.

Note that I write "zen-atheist", not "zen-buddhist". I like some of the aspects of zen, but not as a religion. Also, since I made the term up, it means whatever I want.

Still, despite all of your circular argumentation, self-awareness does not prove god. It seems obvious to me that a being that is self aware would then obviously be aware that they are aware. No need for anything mystical, just a well developed neural computer.

To use the mirror example: the light bounces back and forth, creating the illusion of infinity. So what? That is just physics.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
All should know the ZEN ! 

All should know the ZEN !  And as it says,  fix communication , all our words ....

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:Paisley

ronin-dog wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Note that I write "zen-atheist", not "zen-buddhist". I like some of the aspects of zen, but not as a religion. Also, since I made the term up, it means whatever I want.

Okay. What does "zen" mean in the context of your personal vocabulary? Because the term actually means "meditation" -  the form of meditation that is associated with mysticism. 

ronin-dog wrote:
Still, despite all of your circular argumentation, self-awareness does not prove god. It seems obvious to me that a being that is self aware would then obviously be aware that they are aware. No need for anything mystical, just a well developed neural computer.

So, does my personal computer have "conscious-awareness?"

ronin-dog wrote:
To use the mirror example: the light bounces back and forth, creating the illusion of infinity. So what? That is just physics.

What it actually creates is an infinite regress. That's the "what."

Quote:
Infinite regress in optics is the formation of an infinite series of receding images created in two parallel facing mirrors.

source: Wikipedia: Infinite regress

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Paisley

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:

Except it's not infinite. You're aware of the completeness of your awareness. Repeating it doesn't add anything. Not one single iota.

I see. What exactly is the "completeness?" And why did you say that "being aware of one's awareness ALREADY INCLUDES being aware of being aware of one's awareness? Does it only include this? Or does it also include being aware of being aware of being aware...ad infinitum..of one's awareness?

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:
BMcD wrote:

That infinite self-reflection also doesn't exist, because again, once you are aware of the whole, saying that you are aware of the part of the whole that consists of the awareness of the whole adds exactly nothing, because it is already part of the set of 'what you're aware of'.

Not infinite. Only circular.

Once again, you're waffling. You're using the terms "whole" and "part." How many parts does this whole have? You have already gone on record and said that it ALREADY INCLUDES (at least) two parts - namely, "being aware of being aware of one's awareness." Why stop there? 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ZEN , and interesting word.

ZEN , and interesting word. Cool Alan Watts first made me aware of it. I don't know much about it tho .... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen

to contemplate deeply

experiential wisdom

de-emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and the study of religious texts in favor of direct, experiential realization.

"special transmission outside scriptures" which "did not stand upon words"

Taoism  ~~~~

Meditation, "free" thinking .....   What is god ? ..... What is not god ?

Zen:  fix them g-o-d words, in fact fuck them words, no words .... 

* That's brilliant ronin-dog

"Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana."

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I see. What

Paisley wrote:

I see. What exactly is the "completeness?" And why did you say that "being aware of one's awareness ALREADY INCLUDES being aware of being aware of one's awareness? Does it only include this? Or does it also include being aware of being aware of being aware...ad infinitum..of one's awareness?

Once you are aware of your awareness, you are aware of the complete set of 'things I am aware of'. At this point, anything you are aware of has already been included. It doesn't matter how many times you say 'I am aware of being aware of...' because you already counted it.

So, to directly answer you, yes, the already quantified and established set of 'things I am aware of' includes being aware of being aware of being aware, ad infinitum, because that awareness is already included in the set.

Paisley wrote:

Once again, you're waffling. You're using the terms "whole" and "part." How many parts does this whole have? You have already gone on record and said that it ALREADY INCLUDES (at least) two parts - namely, "being aware of being aware of one's awareness." Why stop there? 

No, not waffling at all. How many parts the whole has doesn't matter, because the whole has already been included. Each time you add another 'of being aware', you are simply re-identifying the set. No matter how many times you relabel it, you're not adding anything whatsoever.

It's like saying 1+0+0+0+0+0+0... ad infinitum, as you like to say. (Really, do you think tossing in some latin adds weight to the idea? It doesn't. Try Esperanto, I hear it's got some heft.) No matter how many times you add 0, you never reach infinity, because you're not adding anything; you're still just left with '1'.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Still no proof yet

You still haven't provided proof for your assertions I asked for in my posts 25, 26, 47, and 85.

The best I can do with your I am aware to ad infintinum is conclude you have partitioned a finite mind into infinite partitions. Kind of a pointless exercise.

I'm sure you'll claim the human mind is not finite because its part of the universal mind. If so prove it. There is debate as to the capacity in TB of the brain but it has a limit.

See: Human brain's storage capacity

and see : Consciouness is finite

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
1 - ONE , only one,  ....

1 - ONE , only one,  .... That is the chant of , "all is one"   feels good 

Come on DG , it is fun, the song of one ....    

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
You still haven't provided proof for your assertions I asked for in my posts 25, 26, 47, and 85.

And you, Paisley, have still not answered my post #118.

This thread has begun to move in circles, so why don't you break out, by moving on in your argumentation?

Let's just say for argument's sake that I accept your "Consciousness is circular" argument, and now accept that "God" exists. You've won this argument, as far as I'm concerned. Now what? Where does that leave you? All I've done, is accept your use of a word: "God". I haven't changed anything else about myself.

It's time for you to answer my post, to prove that there is some purpose to your argument, other than just playing a word-game with the definitions of the words "Consciousness", "Infinity", and "God".

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin