Claiming that the Calendar proves Jesus

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Claiming that the Calendar proves Jesus

Every so often people claim that the fact that we use the year based on what at one time people thought was the year of Jesus's birth proves Christianity true. This is utterly absurd but leads to the following conclusions:

We also use "Tuesday" "Wednesday" "Thursday" and "Friday" so the Norse gods must also be real.

We use "Saturday" and "January" - and there is even a mutual funds company named "Janus."  There are cars named "Mercury" and "Saturn" - and all the planets (and many other celstial bodies) have the names of Roman gods - so the Roman Pantheon must be real.

There are many men in the world named "Mohammed" so Allah must be real.

There are many cities in the world with "Santa" in their name, so Santa Clause must be real.

That guy is on the box of Lucky Charms so Leprechauns must exist.

Can't think of any more....

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
All of these must be real too

July is named after Julius Caesar who was named a living god by proclamation.

August is named for Augustus Caesar also named a god.

Sunday was the day to worship the Sun God, Apollo or Ra.

March is named for the Roman god of war Mars so he must be real also called Ares who spent 6 years on Xena and Hercules.

May is named for the Roman goddess Maia.

June is named for the Roman goddess Juno the queen of the gods.

Monday is named for the moon god or moon's day.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Days, weeks, months etc...

Wednesday is considered "hump day".  Does that mean we are happier on Wednesday  ?? 

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh WOW Wednesdays - WOW=

Oh WOW Wednesdays - WOW= Women on Wednesday

drp (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
calendar

True enough, the calendar was changed many times because of x-mas and easter by, you guessed it, the Catholic Church.

We could be off by as many of 20+ years from the actual date of Jesus.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
X-mas and Easter were simply

X-mas and Easter were simply used to rip off the Pagan celebrations of the Winter Solstice and Vernal Equinox. Jesus probably never existed.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
drp wrote:True enough, the

drp wrote:

True enough, the calendar was changed many times because of x-mas and easter by, you guessed it, the Catholic Church.

Yeah! Jesus was born, and I can prove it: Christmas is a holiday. Chocolate-egg-laying bunnies also exist, as proven by Easter. Likewise the cereal-loving leprechaun: St. Patrick's Day. And don't get me started about the evidence for Cupid.

And Hallmark exists, as proven by Mothers' Day.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
drp wrote:True enough, the

drp wrote:

Why wouldn't the catholic church be responsible for changing the calendar? During the middle ages the church held onto almost all knowledge. The church was the repository for books and writings while most of the populace was illiterate. Of course they often destroyed what didn't fit into their narrow view of the world, they did manage to save a lot of ancient manuscripts besides biblical material.

However, I've never seen jesus' birth certificate so I can't say what year he was born or even if he ever existed. The same church claims to have many relics from the crucifixtion but probably all fabricated to bring legitimacy to the myth. Jesus did live because the shroud of turin exists is way too much to swallow.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

stilldrp (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
calendar

so are you all agreeing with me? 

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Every year, the USPS

Every year, the USPS get an untold number of letters to Santa to deal with. Those that can be answered get passed off to charities, such as Toys for Tots, to see if someone is willing to take them on and to some extent, they do try to get out some Barbie and GI Joe stuff to needy kids. So clearly, letters to Santa actually get to him and he does make sure that they are answered.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Letters to Santa get

Letters to Santa get answered way more often than prayers do!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
stilldrp wrote:so are you

stilldrp wrote:

so are you all agreeing with me? 

That the Catholic Church changed the calendar? Yep.

That there was a Jesus, son of Yahweh who had a birthday? Not so much.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin