Wimpy Atheists

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wimpy Atheists

I'd like to discuss here what I call the "Wimpy" atheists. I'm talking about the ones who have a problem with the way many of us confront Christians on here (you know the threads that often start out "I'm an atheist, but...." I feel that since Christians especially tend to be given a free ride to preach all over the place, why shouldn't we respond? If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't criticize those of us willing to stand up for rationality.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
The term "wimpy atheist"

The term "wimpy atheist" seems like the wrong term to employ when discussing the type of person you describe. I would say nonconfrontational naysayers is much more apropos.

As for the visual imagery "wimpy atheist" creates, I tend to picture a person devoid of muscle tone, physically unfit, and unable of sustaining much physical exertion. Just my two cents.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
If calling eveyone a asshat

If calling everyone an asshat is standing for rationality, I'm not suprised people don't like atheists.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist, but it

I'm an atheist, but it annoys me when other atheists think that I somehow have to be of a particular oppinion about other things than the existence of God, simply because I'm an atheist. I can knock whoever I want, for whatever I want, including being a "mean" or "crass" atheist towards undeserving believers. I don't ow you anything just because we are both atheist.

Actually that is not true, I do ow you something. I ow it to you to be honest and forthcoming about who I am and what I believe, just like I ow everybody else.

I don't knock the RRS for being too hard on Religious people, because they are not. The RRS is an organisation fighting for the right to be accepted in a society that doesn't accept them as equals, and even fear and hate them at times. I have alot of sympathy for that, and I say more power to you. All of you.

But I will still reserve my right to knock anyone individual on here who is being a dick to his fellow man, purely because that fellow man happens to be theist. I am glad to say it doesn't happen often here, further supporting my experience that atheists really are more decent people, on the whole, but I still feel not only entitled, but dutybound to respond to bigotry, hatred, oversimplification, patronising, arrogance and unwarranted animosity from immature atheists, towards theists.

And so should anyone, if they want to feel entitled to call themselves good people.

(Notice how this post started with "I'm an atheist, but..."?. I've read Dawkins, and I agree that alot of the responses he got to his book starting with those words were unfairly judging what he did, but I don't feel that it is impossible to start something with those words without being unfair to the "new atheist" community at large. So I just did, and I stand by it. If you are gonna be a dick I will call you on it. Don't expect me to keep my mouth shut simply because we're both atheists.)

P.S: How does one spell "ow" as in "I don't ow you anything"?. It's not "ow" I can see that.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Owe.

Owe.

By the way I was talking about those who criticize Richard Dawkins, the RRS, etc. The one's who basically say you shouldn't criticize Christians, just let them believe, etc (conveniently ignoring that they don't leave US alone.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
silence is consent.

silence is consent.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:As

HeyZeusCreaseToe wrote:

As for the visual imagery "wimpy atheist" creates, I tend to picture a person devoid of muscle tone, physically unfit, and unable of sustaining much physical exertion. Just my two cents.

i c wut u did thar

GG Zeus

What Would Kharn Do?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
To be an engaged atheist is

To be an engaged atheist is a personal victory.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wimpy Atheists ???  They

Wimpy Atheists ???  They demand burgers and postpone 'til tuesday the payment .... It has been predicted that burgers are one with the universe .....        ....  Mr. Ketchup ???  and then Mustard ! ???  beyond pickles / onions ..... ????????????  ..... go science .....

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
again...

We seem to go over this time and time again....the ONLY thing an athiest has to do with is not being a thiest.

You can be confrontational, irrational, bigoted, witty, Democrat, Republican, Neo-Nazi, tolorent, gay, bald, wimpy, popeye, olive oil...

You dont have to hold any other philosophy and really shouldnt be expected to....if you are not a thiest, you are atheist...that is the end of it.

EDIT....and damn the guy above me for using my wimpy reference 2 mins before I got it up Smiling

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I prefer the term chicken

I prefer the term chicken shit atheist with the understanding that chicken shit atheists are people who have a grasp on the problems that religion causes yet act like the "wimpy atheists" Matt refers to.  I procured the name on wordpress because I wanted to make a parody blog representing Chicken Shit Atheists everywhere but when I started to write my first story I felt too dirty.  http://chickenshitatheist.wordpress.com/

Jello
User is offlineOffline
If I can see where both

If I can see where both sides are coming from, what does that make me?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
One of my coworkers was born

One of my coworkers was born in Iran.  His family was forced to leave Iran when he was 2 years old due to religious persecution.  His parents were Baha'i.  And the new Muslim Theocracy didn't care much for those kinds of people.  He's an atheist now but he couldn't care less about the Atheist movement.

I find the attitude bizarre.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jello wrote:If I can see

Jello wrote:

If I can see where both sides are coming from, what does that make me?

open-minded.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

EDIT....and damn the guy above me for using my wimpy reference 2 mins before I got it up Smiling

You just happened to catch me doing an impression.   Sticking out tongue

Knight
User is offlineOffline
Here's my philosophy:If I'm

Here's my philosophy:

If I'm left alone, I'll leave everyone else alone. However, when someone tries to impose their beliefs on me, I calmly tell them that I'm not interested. If they persist, I don't overreact. If you simply be persistent and don't give in to some of the theists' bait, the victory is even more glorious.

Thus, I believe in being myself. I have faults, as does any other person. Some of us have more faults than others. In fact, it SHOULD be this way, as it even reflects evolution and "survival of the fittest" in a sense.

The public image of "evil atheists" will not change if that is all that is presented. There SHOULD be militant atheists, and there SHOULD be more passive atheists. My parents, before they knew I was an atheist (I just came out two days ago, actually), thought that atheists were immoral, stupid people. I'm more passive, and it contradicts the imagine that they have seen. That in itself made my view more accepted.

So, to summarize: We need militant atheists to help us gain the rights we deserve, and we need passive atheists to give us a better image. And some people in between  would also be fine.

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:One of my

Watcher wrote:

One of my coworkers was born in Iran.  His family was forced to leave Iran when he was 2 years old due to religious persecution.  His parents were Baha'i.  And the new Muslim Theocracy didn't care much for those kinds of people.  He's an atheist now but he couldn't care less about the Atheist movement.

I find the attitude bizarre.

Pfft it surprises you? 

Everyone knows how those Baha'i can be....typical if you ask me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This reminds me of an

This reminds me of an earlier post somewhere comparing the atheist to the civil rights movement. My comparisons:

The subjects of this thread would be like the average black man or woman who didn't like discrimination but didn't make waves.

The more moderate (like Infidel guy or Dan Barker personally) Would be like Martin Luther King

The more militant (Richard Dawkins, RRS, FFRF as a group) would be like Malcolm X or the Black Panthers.

Of course none (or very few) of us resort to violence, note that we aren't lynched and beaten the way they were.

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:This

MattShizzle wrote:

This reminds me of an earlier post somewhere comparing the atheist to the civil rights movement. My comparisons:

The subjects of this thread would be like the average black man or woman who didn't like discrimination but didn't make waves.

The more moderate (like Infidel guy or Dan Barker personally) Would be like Martin Luther King

The more militant (Richard Dawkins, RRS, FFRF as a group) would be like Malcolm X or the Black Panthers.

Of course none (or very few) of us resort to violence, note that we aren't lynched and beaten the way they were.

So in the end you are saying there isnt really a comparison at all...

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know Atheists

That you would classify as wimpy, but the truth is they don't really care to stand against other believers because as far as they are concerned they simply don't care. They live their lives and continue to work hard and do what they do to be happy, and they are atheists (which I suspect there are more atheists like this than they are those that are confrontational). There are many theists like this as well that they believe as they believe, don't impose it on others and really don't care to or care what other people believe, they simply believe, work and do what they do to be happy. I wouldn't call it wimpy, just indifferent.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Will "indifferent" stop the

Will "indifferent" stop the bull shit ? I also want an "indifferent" peaceful world, where no laws are needed.  So what to do , be indifferent" ?   

Yin Yang , Black White ... Is the middle merely gray, "indifferent" ?  .... NO , it is aware of the extremes,  said a buddha on a "path to the way" of unnecessary suffering !

damn that crazy gene

Re-write the DNA !

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
To me, all people fall into

To me, all people fall into one of these categories when it comes to how what they believe about life, religion and the world.

Delusional, Lying to themselves and others, Rational and don't care about shit.

"Wimpy atheists" fall into the don't care about shit category.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 ... wimps are wimps !

... wimps are wimps ! Don't hurt them, just wake them up !  

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm an atheist but...

Well, actually I agree. You don't have to agree that the RRS way is the "right way", but don't knock them.

I see it as getting the "no god/no religion" message out there and making people think for a change. You need to use different tactics to reach different audiences. The RRS has its own approach, other groups have different approaches. But really, who has heard of them anyway.

Active atheists like Dawkins and the RRS are actually getting publicity and making people think. There are many religious folk who didn't even realise there was an option of not believing until they heard the stir these good people are causing.

Jello: it makes you an atheist. You have the right to your own opinion and viewpoint. My problem is with the CSAs having a go at people for being outspoken and crying "don't poke them, they won't like you anymore".

Here's news for you people: THEY DON'T LIKE YOU ANYWAY!! They think you are going to burn in hell for eternity!!

Expressions NOT to use:

Survival of the fittest. - It was not coined by Darwin, does not acurately describe evolution, and is massively misused.

Militant atheist. - Coined by religious folk to demonize atheists and make us sound like terrorists. I prefer "active atheists"     (as opposed to passive) or "outspoken atheists". Most atheists are actually peace-loving folk.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Zen-atheist wielding Occam's

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51    Clear DIVISION of obvious right and wrong .... No Master, No Superstition, no bull shit !

Jesus was framed, murdered, and framed some more ! That's the "story" ..... fucking Paul/Saul and his kind ....

Knight
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, actually I

Quote:
Well, actually I agree. You don't have to agree that the RRS way is the "right way", but don't knock them.

I see it as getting the "no god/no religion" message out there and making people think for a change. You need to use different tactics to reach different audiences. The RRS has its own approach, other groups have different approaches. But really, who has heard of them anyway.

Active atheists like Dawkins and the RRS are actually getting publicity and making people think. There are many religious folk who didn't even realise there was an option of not believing until they heard the stir these good people are causing.

Jello: it makes you an atheist. You have the right to your own opinion and viewpoint. My problem is with the CSAs having a go at people for being outspoken and crying "don't poke them, they won't like you anymore".

Here's news for you people: THEY DON'T LIKE YOU ANYWAY!! They think you are going to burn in hell for eternity!!

Expressions NOT to use:

Survival of the fittest. - It was not coined by Darwin, does not acurately describe evolution, and is massively misused.

Militant atheist. - Coined by religious folk to demonize atheists and make us sound like terrorists. I prefer "active atheists"     (as opposed to passive) or "outspoken atheists". Most atheists are actually peace-loving folk.

Note: I said we do need people that are willing to be (well, I used the word "militant", but I suppose active is better) active. I didn't "knock them." I just said it shouldn't be expected that all atheists are this way. And I gave my philosophy. AND, I didn't say Darwin coined survival of the fittest, but it most certainly does take some part in evolution, especially micro evolution. It was just an attempt at an analogy.

And here's news: before knowing that I was an atheist, my family LOATHED them. The only reason they accept it is because they know that I spend more time working for others through charity than I do myself. It completely changed their perspective of atheists. You can call me a wimp, but at least for now I think it's more important that I have a good relationship with my family.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I think it depends on where

I think it depends on where you live. I live in the UK and am now an  ancient 36 now I dont think I've ever met more than an half dozen people who would even admit to being religious.

Extremely difficult to be militant when you actually have to make an effort to find somoene to be militant against. The most militant I've been is inviting Jehovah's witness in and trying to get them to read my copy of the God Delusion in exchange for me reading the the watchtower. I am in no way a persecuted minority so it would be silly to pretend to be one

If you are American or from the Middle East the circumstances are obviously very different where being more intelligent than the people around you can cost you your  job or even your life.

As for Richard Dawkins being militant I find that hilarious. He is about as soft spoken and respectful as you can get. I actually find his tolerance of religious people to at times be extremely annoying.  Strangely enough he is a real rottwieler when debating with real scientists. I seen him in a lecture when there was a disagreedment on some pretty minor piece of evolution and he was very 'aggressive' getting his point across. I would guess he expects scientists to be used to rigorous debate.

Now old Christopher ' Koran for toilet paper' Hitchens is a totally different case. Both are big contributers to making a better world and there is definitely room for all

nutxaq
nutxaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:silence

shelleymtjoy wrote:

silence is consent.

Amen. If someone says something stupid, correct them. Holy war enthusiasts, Christian Scientists, and voodoo priestesses need to be disabused of their b.s. notions for the sake of everyone. 

"Faith, Faith is an island in the setting sun,
but proof, proof is the bottom line for everyone."
Proof, Paul Simon

Nothing this hard should taste so beefy.

Knight
User is offlineOffline
nutxaq wrote:shelleymtjoy

nutxaq wrote:

shelleymtjoy wrote:

silence is consent.

Amen. If someone says something stupid, correct them. Holy war enthusiasts, Christian Scientists, and voodoo priestesses need to be disabused of their b.s. notions for the sake of everyone. 

I agree.

(Sorry if I've sounded angry in my recent posts. I've just been overloaded with AP homework and I haven't gotten much sleep lately.)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I agree. Why is it if

I agree. Why is it if someone says the Earth is flat or that the sun is not a star and revolves around the Earth we are free to call them an idiot but if someone says the Earth is only 6,000 years old we are supposed to "respect their views?"

Sorry I don't respect views that don't deserve respect. Certainly respect the person unless they do something for you not to, but not their erronious beliefs.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:This

MattShizzle wrote:

YET !!!

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the idea, Matt, is

I think the idea, Matt, is that we respond, but not in kind. We respond with reason, rationality (or we try, sometimes we don't succeed) to their inanities. But this brings up a good point. We must remember what reason and rationality actually mean: we listening to opposing viewpoints and discuss them like reasonable people. We can do this and be mean or we can do it and be polite, but there's a difference between that and just being insulting, which is to be reserved for the SpamPreaching and the haters.

Don't write people off. There are former "Trolls" on this page who've had the label removed by the mods, and rightly so, because the mods recognized reason within another.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:If calling

Loc wrote:

If calling everyone an asshat is standing for rationality, I'm not suprised people don't like atheists.

In other words, ditto.

Loc, it amazes me that while I spend time and wordiness on my posts, you manage to say the exact same thing in one line.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yes, invite all the people

Yes, invite all the people to RRS for some atheist love and friendly spanking! Cussing allowed for dramatics. Thank everyone for expressing themselves. Invite all communication. Fuck yeah ....

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Knight wrote:Note: I said we

Knight wrote:

Note: I said we do need people that are willing to be (well, I used the word "militant", but I suppose active is better) active. I didn't "knock them." I just said it shouldn't be expected that all atheists are this way. And I gave my philosophy. AND, I didn't say Darwin coined survival of the fittest, but it most certainly does take some part in evolution, especially micro evolution. It was just an attempt at an analogy.

And here's news: before knowing that I was an atheist, my family LOATHED them. The only reason they accept it is because they know that I spend more time working for others through charity than I do myself. It completely changed their perspective of atheists. You can call me a wimp, but at least for now I think it's more important that I have a good relationship with my family.    

That wasn't directed at you, Knight. Just a general poke at terms I hate.

On the family/friends issue, you are totally correct. Personal interaction is totally different from media coverage.

I've said it a few times in other posts but: with people you know it is best to show them that you are a good, normal person first. Then if it comes up just gently let them know you don't believe and don't press them too much. Let them make the inquiries rather than forcing anything on them. Otherwise they will close down and not listen and you will have alienated yourself for no reason.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Knight
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:Knight

ronin-dog wrote:

Knight wrote:

That wasn't directed at you, Knight. Just a general poke at terms I hate.

On the family/friends issue, you are totally correct. Personal interaction is totally different from media coverage.

I've said it a few times in other posts but: with people you know it is best to show them that you are a good, normal person first. Then if it comes up just gently let them know you don't believe and don't press them too much. Let them make the inquiries rather than forcing anything on them. Otherwise they will close down and not listen and you will have alienated yourself for no reason.

Thanks for the clarification. Honestly, I think most of us agree, we're just using different wording. I think I took the original post the wrong way. I apologize.

sansh0u
Troll
sansh0u's picture
User is offlineOffline
athiest should be bold!

before i heard about the blasphamy challange, i though it was rude to challange religeon. after i saw the videos i relized that i had just been indoctorinated. now whenever i have the chance, i speak out. what that girl said is true...silence is consent.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
sansh0u wrote: before i

sansh0u wrote:

before i heard about the blasphamy challange, i though it was rude to challange religeon. after i saw the videos i relized that i had just been indoctorinated. now whenever i have the chance, i speak out. what that girl said is true...silence is consent.

Yes, we should be bold. But be careful and considerate too. Street preachers and door knockers and people who are generally in your face about religion are annoying assholes. If you do the same you will be one too.

The blasphemy challenge was great, but like I said: media coverage and personal interaction are different.

Everyone at work knows I am an atheist now, and they are still my friends. I talk about it at the level they are comfortable with. This way they will think about it. Just knowing that I am an atheist and a nice guy gives them something to think about.

If I was in their face or challenged them too much they would not think that what I had to say was worthwhile, they would just think that I was a crazy atheist asshole who is going to hell so I would have no effect on them.

You don't have to be silent, just considerate.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
tupence of opinion...

I'm the wrong p-erson to ask... I think Hitchens is far too nice to the bastards...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
In response to a recent

In response to a recent thread that was deleted - understand I am NOT advocating doing something stupid like damaging property or assaulting someone. I'm talking about speaking up - challenging theistic beliefs - writing letters to the editor, writing things online, making videos - or writing books for those who can. I think virtually everone got this anyway, but for anyone else - don't blame this thread if you get arrested for doing something stupid.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
accountability

I am guilty of this...I have been a chicken shit Athiest.

I wrote my first book about marriage and monogamy several years ago, and the subject of religion naturally came up. I actually reffered to myself as an agnostic because I didn't want to offend people.

For a guy who advocates honesty above all else I was dishonest about the most important part of what causes so many people to go down a path that will lead to disaster. I softened my language so to not offend. ...what an asshole.

Never again...and to all of you, I apologize. Next book I'll grow a set. 

MonkeyNutz
MonkeyNutz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:I'm an

Nikolaj wrote:

I'm an atheist, but it annoys me when other atheists think that I somehow have to be of a particular oppinion about other things than the existence of God, simply because I'm an atheist. I can knock whoever I want, for whatever I want, including being a "mean" or "crass" atheist towards undeserving believers. I don't ow you anything just because we are both atheist.

Actually that is not true, I do ow you something. I ow it to you to be honest and forthcoming about who I am and what I believe, just like I ow everybody else.

I don't knock the RRS for being too hard on Religious people, because they are not. The RRS is an organisation fighting for the right to be accepted in a society that doesn't accept them as equals, and even fear and hate them at times. I have alot of sympathy for that, and I say more power to you. All of you.

But I will still reserve my right to knock anyone individual on here who is being a dick to his fellow man, purely because that fellow man happens to be theist. I am glad to say it doesn't happen often here, further supporting my experience that atheists really are more decent people, on the whole, but I still feel not only entitled, but dutybound to respond to bigotry, hatred, oversimplification, patronising, arrogance and unwarranted animosity from immature atheists, towards theists.

And so should anyone, if they want to feel entitled to call themselves good people.

(Notice how this post started with "I'm an atheist, but..."?. I've read Dawkins, and I agree that alot of the responses he got to his book starting with those words were unfairly judging what he did, but I don't feel that it is impossible to start something with those words without being unfair to the "new atheist" community at large. So I just did, and I stand by it. If you are gonna be a dick I will call you on it. Don't expect me to keep my mouth shut simply because we're both atheists.)

P.S: How does one spell "ow" as in "I don't ow you anything"?. It's not "ow" I can see that.

I think Nikolaj’s feelings were hurt…The board might “ow” him an apology…I will start…I am sorry if you are offended by others…since we offend others…according to you we are  dicks…I promise I will attempt to be dick-less in the future…I “ow” you that much….You sure feel a need to be Godlike in your “entitled duty which you reserve to knock any one individual”….Relax…and breath…it will be okay…

I may not be the smartest guy here…but I sure as hell know who Alfred Einstein is! – Monkey Nutz

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I don't often do this , but

I don't often do this , but I forgive you Rich Woods , me god ....

Say only the truth !  and yeah , I like proud happy horny chicks , in any variety ....

Random Cellist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
evangelical christians.....

Yes, everyone tires of the evangelical Christians who give out the handouts, asking you if you know Jesus, telling you your going to hell, God hates fags, etc....

but I would discourage atheists from taking the same approach as the fundamentalist, evangelical Christians.  There is a difference between intelligent discussion with theists and forcing ones own opinions down peoples throats. 

Unless you want the phrase "evangelical Atheist" coined anytime soon.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I actually rather like the

I actually rather like the phrase "evangelical Atheist". Heck most anything that sends a caring positive freedom message that Atheism deserves. Dawkins goes with "Atheists for Jesus". Defeating dogmatic superstitious "god concepts" seems a good plan. Seems re-working the god concept of the young and moderate public is needed. The word g-o-d is not going away soon, probably never .....  

I like thought provoking words / messages attached to the word atheism.

- "Atheists for Heaven on Earth"

- "Atheists are most Godly"                                              

- "Jesus Atheist / Paul Christian"

- "Atheists Love GAWED not GOD of Dogma"

- "Atheists say NO to God of Abraham"    

ETC ....

Gamage90
Gamage90's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:I am guilty

Rich Woods wrote:

I am guilty of this...I have been a chicken shit Athiest.

I wrote my first book about marriage and monogamy several years ago, and the subject of religion naturally came up. I actually reffered to myself as an agnostic because I didn't want to offend people.

For a guy who advocates honesty above all else I was dishonest about the most important part of what causes so many people to go down a path that will lead to disaster. I softened my language so to not offend. ...what an asshole.

Never again...and to all of you, I apologize. Next book I'll grow a set. 

[quote/]

I wouldn't worry about it. David Hume wrote a suggestion that why couldn't there be other God's that created the world rather than the main theist concept of God, even though he was an atheist and didn't believe in creation or any God's for that matter. But in retrospect he did suggest that so he wouldn't get killed by angry Christians.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true"
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Gamage90, Good point ,

Gamage90Good point , David Hume ! 

That is partly why I say "Of course I believe in gawed, besides, there is no deeper meaningful other rational answer I can think of .... So what's that hunch about god ? .....Oh that god of abe, or material free consciousness god thing ,  ..... or an all knowing creator? ,  ahhh ..... Well I disagree with all that .... Hey, why are you nailing me to a cross now, and burning them others at the stake?" ....

Geezzz people are obviously GAWED freaked ! Welcome to planet "OUCH"  .....   

Yeah, like I said, "god done it" .... I ask how, I don't ask why , but I will if he shows his face.     Wait, think it's really a guy not a girl ?  God / Goddess ? 

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote Wimpy Atheist...

Right On MATT,you don't like to pull your punch , and the more I read about all this Christian Bulls<>t  that effect our governments policies,the more angry I get at these FLATEARTHER's.We need more people speaking up for "ATHEISM". ROCK that BOAT !!!

Signature ? How ?

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
Funny thing about atheism is

Funny thing about atheism is that it *is* something which the culture at large is prejudice about.  It's entirely immoral not to be active about it.  Allowing people to have their beliefs allows people to perpetuate hate.

The greatest moments in removing prejudice are always troubling.  People ~died~ when they tried to desegregate schools in America.  People ~died~ when justice (in America) was failed to be carried out due to the color of people's skin.  The greatest moments in the movement for racial equality always resulted in strife, whether intended or not. Rosa Parks keeping her seat, Ray Charles refusing to play a whites-only forum; plenty of examples out there.  

The same thing happened for Women's Suffrage.  A lot of pissed woman made a stink.  They eventually won (mostly).

It's happening in America again with homosexuals.  They are being beaten to death with baseball bats in parking lots, tied to fences and left to die in the elements, ridiculed and derided all because they prefer brunettes over blondes (that's an abstraction there).   The reason they are persecuted as such?    God hates fags.

You know who else God hates?  Atheists.  

It's your moral obligation as an atheist to make it known that you are such a creature, and you are not evil.  Being both right and polite never won an argument, Socrates proved that.  (I suppose the chistians could say Jesus did too).   

Studies have shown that argumentation is a terrible way to break down prejudice.  You can argue till you are blue in the face with someone that thinks the color of a man's skin makes him less than another man and never make any headway; but there is hope elsewhere.  Put that same wretched human in  an environment with the people he hates, make them work together, celebrate together, live together...  and that terrible human will come to understand and humanize those he hates.   That is fact (I'm only aware of case studies, but there are doubtless scientific volumes on the subject).

The basic precepts of morality cause me to take a man that thinks he is Napoleon and remove him from society until he can see reality before him.  The same should be true even if it were acceptable to believe such inanity.  

If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear. - JP Sartre

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Balrogoz ,   those are

Balrogoz ,   those are good powerful words you send. Thanks "world citizen" .....

We are ONE earth, one race, one universe, one eternity .... We are what we are , as I am what I am, just as YOU ..... call it what you will .... okay "god" , okay fine, call it gawed,  now what ???  Blue eyes, Brown eyes, Green and the rest ???   .....  Fight about what ???    shezzzzzzzzzzzz