Why is it so important that God exists?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Why is it so important that God exists?

I've been reading some Theist material, and they seem so willing to hold on to the belief no matter what.

'Oh X theory, doesn't fit? It's not true!'

'Oh, science can't explain Y, it must be God!'

 

I myself would rather keep X, and find out about Y. These people however, won't.

I've met few Theists that don't think like this.

 

This is what pissed me off at Haisch's book. He gets into the meditation of the infinite consciousness NDEs etc.., and to support it basically says 'Wouldn't it be nice!' With all the otherwise good content he just had to throw that in and basically ruined it.

 

It is these types of arguments that piss me off. That they would rather disregard science explanation as awesome as it is and just disregard it or butcher it.

 

So why is it so important to them that God exists?


geirj
geirj's picture
Posts: 719
Joined: 2007-06-19
User is offlineOffline
Because if there is no God,

Because if there is no God, then it would mean that they would be responsible for their own lives. In all likelihood, they would implode under the weight of the responsibility.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?


HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
Posts: 675
Joined: 2008-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Methinks the Capn is

Methinks the Capn is becoming more and more atheistic the longer he is on the boards.

The simple answer to your question, is that it for some people, God belief underlies and provides the foundation for

1. Their reason for their existence

2. The basis for all morality

3. The idea that justice is acheivable(ie bad people will ultimately get whats comin to them)

4. Everything will turn out all right if you follow the rules

5. Everlasting happiness that is greater than we can imagine is possible

6. They simply cannot fathom that all of this doesn't necessitate a God

There are other reasons, but these are the big ones imo.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda


Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
Posts: 144
Joined: 2007-05-12
User is offlineOffline
Because the livelihoods of

Because the livelihoods of millions and millions of people depend on it, either directly (priests, pastors, mullahs, rabbis) or indirectly (politicians).

 

Now if only they could come up with a concept of "god" that even begins to approach coherency.


anonuhmas
Posts: 14
Joined: 2008-06-23
User is offlineOffline
There's also fear of the


There's also fear of the unknown and fear of death, which is a kind of unknown - so it's a foundation for a sense of safety and security. Of course, the only problem with that is if there's not much to the foundation there's not much in the way of real security, it becomes only a blanky that feels good.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
1) People tremble in their

1) People tremble in their boots over the idea that total oblivion is the only thing awaiting them after their life is over. It means they cannot justify their laziness, their impurities or even their daily activities so easily anymore. It's easy to just schluff-off and think, 'Bah, it won't matter in a thousand years anyway,' when one thinks that this is just some precursor step towards eternal bliss.

2) God is a big enabler and scapegoat. In some instances, this can be demonstrably positive ('...Jesus gave me the confidence to stand-up for myself!') or negative ('...I really thought praying to Jesus was a better idea than giving my daughter proper medical treatment,'); though the positive results can easily be duplicated in secular terms, while the negatives cannot.

3) There is a big financial interest amongst religious establishments to keep belief alive.

4) Some people enjoy being able to blame their own intolerances and bigotry on a deity.

5) There is considerable investment people have made in God / Heaven. They don;t want to fold-out of their hand with so much already on the table.

6) Hell is a terrifying concept. However illogical Pascal's Wager is, it's trotted around by theologians for a reason: it works. No sane person wants to burn in a lake of fire forever, so if they believe it's plausible that they might in the event that they start to doubt, you'd better believe that they will condition themselves never to doubt.

7) People conflate their 'personal encounters' with things like the moving of the Holy Spirit through mass with solid evidence.

8 ) People do not generally like to think that there is something that they both simply do not know, and cannot readily learn. This creates a perception where science is seen to have gaping holes simply because it hasn't answered every possible question about everything yet. Where those percieved gaps are, people insert God.

Incidentally, Cap'n, this is what 'Digital Physics', your own God belief, is guilty of doing.

9) Religion is a 'meme'; a sort of 'infectious' habit. A person's brain is very vulnerable, particularly at a young age, to being victimized by this meme.

10) Humans are social animals. We love having company (with rare exceptions, often caused by mental disorder). Imaginary deities provide people with constant company.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
So sad it is. Can we chant

So sad it is. Can we chant now? in 2/4 

"I Am god, all is one, no division, we are one".  REPEAT !


ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
Posts: 419
Joined: 2007-10-18
User is offlineOffline
They disregard science

They disregard science because science makes people think and thinking shows religion to be false.

It makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside to think they have an invisible friend who loves them and will cuddle them and make everything better when they die.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Life is a bitch, death is

Life is a bitch, death is bliss.

I know this because I have done them both !  


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
When I was a christian I

When I was a christian I didn't fear science proving god wrong.God was always right.I knew that. If science came up with something to the contary, I knew it was totally wrong. There was never any question in my mind.

Many people are so invested in their religion they wouldn't leave it in the face of undeniable evidence.Sometimes I think that's a good thing. I've known some people who are so convinced it's impossible to live a good life without god, I half expect them to start kiling if it's ever disproved.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
"I half expect them to start

"I half expect them to start killing if it's ever disproved".  ~ Loc    ///// 

   Disproved or not,  they are already killing as the mad dogs they are  ..... ( the psycho human religious patriots are obviously nuts )  Heal them , please please .....

 


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:I've known some

Loc wrote:

I've known some people who are so convinced it's impossible to live a good life without god, I half expect them to start kiling if it's ever disproved.

I guess that's why we get that argument a lot: because it's such a powerful idea that once you let the dog off the chain, all hell will break loose. The truth, of course, is that we've already done the worst we can. Our actual behaviour doesn't really change all that much depending on which mystical tradition we belong to.

Also, Captain, not that I actually expect you to "deconvert", but I think I can speak for all of us when I say you'd be a welcome addition to pissed-off atheism.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:5) There

Kevin R Brown wrote:

5) There is considerable investment people have made in God / Heaven. They don;t want to fold-out of their hand with so much already on the table.

I think this is the big one. This is the one that keeps people in the faith of their family. As science "threatens" their beliefs (don't ask me how, I don't know), they would rather disregard the findings of our own senses then modify their long-held beliefs. This is due partly to the idea that if they are wrong about one thing ("Homosexuality is practiced by whales and dolphins, so it is natural? Well, that changes everything!" ), they might be wrong about other things as well, all the way up to (and including) God.

Structured religion is a house of cards. The slightest breeze of knowledge can knock down the whole thing.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So why is it so

Quote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

My take on the matter:

Belief despite understanding the logic, and three steps to freedom

 

Oh, and have I asked before... are you aware that when Adam says, "I reject your reality and substitute my own," it's because he's just been proven wrong?

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Incidentally, Cap'n, this is what 'Digital Physics', your own God belief, is guilty of doing.

 

Show me where I make an argument from ignorance.

 

Hambydammit wrote:

 

Oh, and have I asked before... are you aware that when Adam says, "I reject your reality and substitute my own," it's because he's just been proven wrong?

 

 

 

Yes. That's why I put it there as a joke.

 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yes. That's why I put

Quote:
Yes. That's why I put it there as a joke.

Good to know.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
Posts: 333
Joined: 2007-08-04
User is offlineOffline
Don't forget the power

Don't forget the power aspect of religion; popes, preachers, imams and the rest all work to dumb down their flocks to retain power and the free money, of course. Also, there's a lot of xtians out there who love to feel superior to others because their own pathetic lives are boring since god doesn't allow them to have too much fun.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150


BMcD
Posts: 777
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:1)

Kevin R Brown wrote:

1) People tremble in their boots over the idea that total oblivion is the only thing awaiting them after their life is over. It means they cannot justify their laziness, their impurities or even their daily activities so easily anymore. It's easy to just schluff-off and think, 'Bah, it won't matter in a thousand years anyway,' when one thinks that this is just some precursor step towards eternal bliss.

Frankly, knowing that in the end, whatever happens won't matter to me for more than a few decades makes it even easier to think 'bah, it won't matter in a thousand years'. Heck, it probably won't matter in twenty! The only thing I can have any surety about is that I am, and on some level, I admit to harboring the thought "once I'm not, who gives a shit?"

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
been dead , done that , now

been dead , done that , now this, then that relaxing dead again ....   Help the living! Dead is easy, life is not .....


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:been

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

been dead , done that , now this, then that relaxing dead again ....   Help the living! Dead is easy, life is not .....

 

I assume you are refering to the fact that we were all dead before were born (or a few months earlier if being more pedantic)

 

I've was dead for apprxomiately 17? billion years

 


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
17 billion ? .... how about

17 billion ?

 .... how about an infinity ? ....  Before and to be After !     


Shitrock
Theist
Posts: 44
Joined: 2008-06-30
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Because if there

geirj wrote:

Because if there is no God, then it would mean that they would be responsible for their own lives. In all likelihood, they would implode under the weight of the responsibility.

your way off base here.  christian philosophy states that everyone IS responsible for their own actions and must atone for them when they die.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis


Shitrock
Theist
Posts: 44
Joined: 2008-06-30
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:Don't forget

Bulldog wrote:

Don't forget the power aspect of religion; popes, preachers, imams and the rest all work to dumb down their flocks to retain power and the free money, of course. Also, there's a lot of xtians out there who love to feel superior to others because their own pathetic lives are boring since god doesn't allow them to have too much fun.

the popes and whatnot you speak of in no way reflect on the god they claim to believe in. 

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis


Shitrock
Theist
Posts: 44
Joined: 2008-06-30
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Kevin R

nigelTheBold wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

5) There is considerable investment people have made in God / Heaven. They don;t want to fold-out of their hand with so much already on the table.

I think this is the big one. This is the one that keeps people in the faith of their family. As science "threatens" their beliefs (don't ask me how, I don't know), they would rather disregard the findings of our own senses then modify their long-held beliefs. This is due partly to the idea that if they are wrong about one thing ("Homosexuality is practiced by whales and dolphins, so it is natural? Well, that changes everything!" ), they might be wrong about other things as well, all the way up to (and including) God.

Structured religion is a house of cards. The slightest breeze of knowledge can knock down the whole thing.

frankly i dont buy that whales and dolphins practice homosexuality.  and how wrong you are.  no amount of scientific knowledge can knock down religion. 

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis


Shitrock
Theist
Posts: 44
Joined: 2008-06-30
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I've

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I've been reading some Theist material, and they seem so willing to hold on to the belief no matter what.

'Oh X theory, doesn't fit? It's not true!'

'Oh, science can't explain Y, it must be God!'

 

I myself would rather keep X, and find out about Y. These people however, won't.

I've met few Theists that don't think like this.

 

This is what pissed me off at Haisch's book. He gets into the meditation of the infinite consciousness NDEs etc.., and to support it basically says 'Wouldn't it be nice!' With all the otherwise good content he just had to throw that in and basically ruined it.

 

It is these types of arguments that piss me off. That they would rather disregard science explanation as awesome as it is and just disregard it or butcher it.

 

So why is it so important to them that God exists?

it isnt a mater of it being important.  its a matter of what is.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."
-C.S. Lewis


Wonko
Wonko's picture
Posts: 518
Joined: 2008-06-18
User is offlineOffline
Shitrock wrote:geirj

Shitrock wrote:

geirj wrote:

Because if there is no God, then it would mean that they would be responsible for their own lives. In all likelihood, they would implode under the weight of the responsibility.

your way off base here.  christian philosophy states that everyone IS responsible for their own actions and must atone for them when they die.

Uhhhh, think what Geirj meant was that many believers in a God tend to allow him to "take care of things" and often in that way they do NOT believe in cleaning up their own messes or for that matter cleaning up their act. Also, since they rely on God for "direction", it would be difficult (if there is no god as Geirj said), figuring out what to do, what goals to set, how to behave and so forth.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:frankly i dont buy

Quote:

frankly i dont buy that whales and dolphins practice homosexuality.

Why? Because homosexuality is the work of the devil, and whales / dolphins aren't his thing?

Well, guess what, bud - it's been observed. It's been photographed, filmed and documented. It doesn't matter whether or not you 'buy it'; it happens. Male dolphins and male whales fuck other males of the same species. In fact, there was an instance not that long ago of a male seal attempted to have sex with a male penguin.

Check it out! Most of the animal kingdom is actually pretty gay (literally). It's a crazy, lesbo-maniacal world we live in.

 

Quote:

and how wrong you are.  no amount of scientific knowledge can knock down religion.

I suppose you're right. If you're bound and determined to be ignorant and God-fearing, science can't help you. All we can do is gradually reveal the world as it is to you, and demonstrate the folly of much of what your religion claims.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
 Hey, don't stop at marine

 Hey, don't stop at marine mammals (and avians), there are primate homos, too. Oh, wait: isn't the bonobo, one of our closest animal relatives, the most homo of them all?

Our human homo-ness pales in comparison to that of the bonobo, which uses sexual contact as a kind of social communication. Giraffes, American Bison, all kinds of birds ... man! Nature's like a giant gay pride parade.

You might say "argument from nature", but seriously, at some point God had to say "Gay is OK", because nature digs its girl-on-girl, and doesn't exactly shy away from ass sex.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


BMcD
Posts: 777
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Hey,

HisWillness wrote:

 Hey, don't stop at marine mammals (and avians), there are primate homos, too. Oh, wait: isn't the bonobo, one of our closest animal relatives, the most homo of them all?

Our human homo-ness pales in comparison to that of the bonobo, which uses sexual contact as a kind of social communication. Giraffes, American Bison, all kinds of birds ... man! Nature's like a giant gay pride parade.

You might say "argument from nature", but seriously, at some point God had to say "Gay is OK", because nature digs its girl-on-girl, and doesn't exactly shy away from ass sex.

Remember, Leviticus, which makes very clear distinctions between men and women, condemns male homosexuality, but not female homosexuality.

Proof positive that if God exists... he's a dude... or a dyke...

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Why are my threads shifting

Why are my threads shifting to homosexuality lately?


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
 Maybe it's your mad homo

 Maybe it's your mad homo shifting skills. Or the fact that everyone thought you were a guy?

Funny thing is that I know your male counterpart. His name is merv. Sadly, you would never talk to one another, as you are most likely equally shy and/or silent.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:This is

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
This is what pissed me off at Haisch's book. He gets into the meditation of the infinite consciousness NDEs etc.., and to support it basically says 'Wouldn't it be nice!' With all the otherwise good content he just had to throw that in and basically ruined it.

Haisch said this? Please provide the quote and cite the source.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:So why

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

Because a world without God is ultimately a world without meaning, purpose and hope.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Paisley wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

Because a world without God is ultimately a world without meaning, purpose and hope.

Define God, please. So very many to choose .....

GOD = meaning, purpose, joy, hope ?

GOD = designer of hell, confusion, fear, pain, hopelessness ?

                         conclusion, 

God = All of us of course ..... and all the rest.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Paisley wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Paisley wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
This is what pissed me off at Haisch's book. He gets into the meditation of the infinite consciousness NDEs etc.., and to support it basically says 'Wouldn't it be nice!' With all the otherwise good content he just had to throw that in and basically ruined it.

Haisch said this? Please provide the quote and cite the source.

 

 

IIRC he devouts an entire chapter to  taping the 'infinite conscious' from NDEs etc...

 

I don't have the book handy so I can't give page numbers.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Paisley

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Haisch said this? Please provide the quote and cite the source.
 

IIRC he devouts an entire chapter to  taping the 'infinite conscious' from NDEs etc... 

I don't have the book handy so I can't give page numbers.

What's IIRC?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
AcronymDefinitionIIRCIf I
AcronymDefinition
IIRCIf I Recall/Remember Correctly
IIRCIf I Read Correctly
IIRCIf I Really Cared
IIRCIf I Recollect Correctly
IIRCIf It Really Counts
IIRCImage and Identity Research Collective
IIRCImmunity and Infection Research Centre
IIRCImpedance Imaging Research Center (Korea)
IIRCInactive Item Review Code (US DoD)
IIRCInformation Integrity Research Centre (UK)
IIRCInteractive Illinois Report Card
IIRCInternational Inter-Society Research Committee (on Nuclear Codes and Standards)
IIRCInternational Interdisciplinary Research Colloquium
IIRCInternational Internet Recruiting Consultants, Inc.
IIRCInternational Interpretation Resource Center
IIRCInternet Information Research Center
IIRCInterstate Insurance Receivership Compact
IIRCIraqi Islamic Reconciliation Conference
IIRCIsn't It Really Cool
IIRCIVF & Infertilty Research Centre (Calcutta, India)

 

   Not nearly as vast as the definition of GOD


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

Because a world without God is ultimately a world without meaning, purpose and hope.

Define God, please. So very many to choose .....

GOD = meaning, purpose and hope ?

GOD = designer of hell, confusion, fear, hopelessness ?

                         conclusion, 

God = All of us of course .....

God is love.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Paisley wrote:What's

Paisley wrote:

What's IIRC?

 

Holy fucking Christ, it's If I Recall Correctly.

 

How long have you had fucking internet access?


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
Well we could argue about

"God is Love" ? - Well we could argue about that, BUT "LOVE" is indeed ALL the answer to our problems of unnecessary suffering .....

   .... as pain and fear "teach" us.  There cannot be Love without it's opposite in our existing human form. Utopia is a human impossibility, but what the hell, let's go for it ! LOVE LOVE LOVE .....  


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Paisley

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Paisley wrote:

What's IIRC?

 

Holy fucking Christ, it's If I Recall Correctly.

 

How long have you had fucking internet access?

Why the profanity? I thought you were referring to the name of the book. What's the name of the book?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:"God

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

"God is Love" ? - Well we could argue about that, BUT "LOVE" is indeed ALL the answer to our problems of unnecessary suffering .....

See, this is not difficult. Love is important.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Paisley wrote:Why the

Paisley wrote:

Why the profanity? I thought you were referring to the name of the book. What's the name of the book?

 

I'll swear whenever the fuck I want.

 

And it's 'The God Theory' I'm pretty sure it's his only book.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
On second thought maybe we

On second thought maybe we should go back to male dolphins blowing each other.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
Do they use that thing on

Do they use that thing on top of their head? Maybe that's why it's called a "blowhole!"


Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I've

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I've been reading some Theist material, and they seem so willing to hold on to the belief no matter what.

'Oh X theory, doesn't fit? It's not true!'

'Oh, science can't explain Y, it must be God!'

 

I myself would rather keep X, and find out about Y.

And that's why I've always enjoyed speaking with you Cap'n.  You have some nutty ideas, but ultimately, you are well informed, far from ignorant and you seem generally willing to consider other philosophies.

 

Quote:
These people however, won't.

I've met few Theists that don't think like this.

Really? You lose me there. Cap'n you are the exception, not the rule when it comes to faith and god belief. Other theists are NOT like you generally speaking. They are largely ignorant, stubborn and overall, consumed by group-think and fear. People generally, not just theists, don't generally enjoy having their world view turned upside down, regardless of the facts or reality presented. Perhaps I've been jaded over the years (my gmail inbox is generally a horror show that only serves to confirm what I say here), but even among my own close friends and family who believe, I see the same things.

Quote:
This is what pissed me off at Haisch's book. He gets into the meditation of the infinite consciousness NDEs etc.., and to support it basically says 'Wouldn't it be nice!' With all the otherwise good content he just had to throw that in and basically ruined it.

Indeed, most theist literature does that. Fuck, if I have to hear somebody quote "A purpose driven life" again, I'm simply going to stop opening my inbox altogether.

Quote:
It is these types of arguments that piss me off. That they would rather disregard science explanation as awesome as it is and just disregard it or butcher it.

How do you think it makes me feel? They aren't just insulting my intelligence, but my chosen profession and reality in general.

Quote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

And I think you just nailed it there, because you can actually bring yourself to ask that question. Most people NEVER get to that point.

Frankly, Cap'n you do not strike me as a person who NEEDS or WANTS to believe in god. I think you did arrive where you are after careful consideration - or perhaps you were brought up to believe and convinced yourself, in a rational fashion, that your beliefs were valid. Now, I certainly will butt heads with you on your conclusion and pick apart your premesis, but you do defend it cohenently and usually logically.

How much that sets you apart and above the fray of the common believer I think is lost on you.

Like I said, you are NOT like other believers, and I think you project your own thought processes onto them on occasion. We're you outside the box, you'd understand how atypical you really are.

It took me a long time to get this myself. Being an engineer and I scientist, I'm conditioned to think logically and rationally - and I used to expect the same from people around me. I don't anymore, because that is NOT how most people think, and certainly not how the average religious person thinks.

I won't bother hashing out again the resons people like that believe, others have already covered it.

I will however express again my confusion as to why you aren't in our camp rather than theirs. Granted, you'd probably deny being in any particular camp, and that is sort of my point.

Wouldn't you agree, intellectually speaking, you have more in common with atheists than other god believers?

I certainly see it that way.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:God is

Paisley wrote:

God is love.

...and tsunamis, eartquakes, HIV, treacher collins syndrome, orgasms, newborn babies, stillborn babies, depression, joy, hate, epiliespy, cancer.....

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Paisley wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

Because a world without God is ultimately a world without meaning, purpose and hope.

So you are saying my life has no meaning, purpose or hope?

The level of this delusion is not only disgusting, its insulting.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Paisley wrote:

God is love.

...and tsunamis, eartquakes, HIV, treacher collins syndrome, orgasms, newborn babies, stillborn babies, depression, joy, hate, epiliespy, cancer.....

And your point?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

Because a world without God is ultimately a world without meaning, purpose and hope.

So you are saying my life has no meaning, purpose or hope?

The level of this delusion is not only disgusting, its insulting.

I'm saying that a world without God is ultimately one without meaning, purpose, and hope. To have ultimate hope is to have faith in the ultimate.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
Posts: 419
Joined: 2007-10-18
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Paisley wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
So why is it so important to them that God exists?

Because a world without God is ultimately a world without meaning, purpose and hope.

Only to you, Paisley. You are projecting from your own point of view where you are that stuck in your religion that you can't imagine life without it.

We have told you time and again that from OUR point of view, which you should take into consideration seeing as we are the ones without god, life does have meaning, purpose and hope.

What meaning and purpose does god give you?

God is love? That is not a consistent message from the bible. How about God is fear, fear your god as he commands you to.

Love is love. God is your imaginary friend.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51