HEY CHRISTIAN! You'll LOVE this...

OBSCENITEASE
OBSCENITEASE's picture
User is offlineOffline
HEY CHRISTIAN! You'll LOVE this...

I used to be a fundaMENTAList Christian... radical for Christ.... mission projects, evangelism, bible study leader, worship leader, Christian recording artist, blah blah blah.  After my deconversion where I've stepped into such satisfying freedom, I found the christian community quite confused with questions like.  'How could someone like him loose his faith?' 'Was he ever really a Christian?' 'He's following the Devil now?' and on and on.

The way that the Christian community treated me had nothing to do with my deconversion, but the way they treated me after has cemented the fact that I will NEVER return to such pious, prideful, and narrow minded bull $hit.

I've come to the stark recognition that Fundamentalism (my way is the TRUTH) in any form is nothing less than a disease in society that needs a cure.

I've just decided to play with the whole game and see how many buttons I could push because most don't know how to lighten the f up.  So... I put a little site together and am redefining the edge in Rude & Offensive T-Shirts... targeting the deadliest philosophy in our country today... CHRISTIANITY!  The address is shown below.

Be sure to click on THE TRUTH and see the REAL STORY OF JESUS!

Looking forward to what dialog this may stir!

ZENO

www.obscenitease.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Heh heh. Cool. And welcome

Heh heh. Cool. And welcome to the hizzle.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
OBSCENITEASE wrote:I used to

OBSCENITEASE wrote:

I used to be a fundaMENTAList Christian... radical for Christ.... mission projects, evangelism, bible study leader, worship leader, Christian recording artist, blah blah blah.  After my deconversion where I've stepped into such satisfying freedom, I found the christian community quite confused with questions like.  'How could someone like him loose his faith?' 'Was he ever really a Christian?' 'He's following the Devil now?' and on and on.

[...]

The way that the Christian community treated me had nothing to do with my deconversion, but the way they treated me after has cemented the fact that I will NEVER return to such pious, prideful, and narrow minded bull $hit.

I've just decided to play with the whole game and see how many buttons I could push because most don't know how to lighten the f up.

Forgive me, but what's your point?  Somehow you're pissed off at Christianity and Christians so you want to push a few buttons?  I guess I simply don't understand the point of wasting precious time like that.

So you "deconverted" as you see it.  OK.  So those around you treated you poorly after your self proclaimed deconversion.  OK.  What does that have to do with anyone you've never met and their "choices" that are not insulting you but yet you choose to insult them instead?  (at this point I wonder if you live in the United States)

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH
TheistTroll
IAMJACKSBROKENFAITH's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Bahh, let the

Bahh, let the fundamentalist wacko masses have their opium, I find its best to just ignore them. 

Seriously though, just because the dumbass fundamentalists of a religion are retarded doesnt necessarily make the religion itself a bad thing. 

We must learn to control our thoughts, or we will remain slaves to our feelings.
-SR

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Religion as we can sum it

Religion as we can sum it up, IS a very bad thing. My atheistic Jesus/Buddha most certainly didn't approve of it.

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
Have fun with it while

Have fun with it while you're so inclined. I don't know how long you've been out but in my experience a lot of people just have that kind of fun early on, and later it just changes form if anything.

The point about fundamentalism is significant, though. It isn't about the content of one's belief system but rather the attitude, more specifically this irrational clinging to their "truth" which might even be non-religious in nature. So I'd agree, it is a disease - a mental disease. There's even the phenomenon where one jumps from one religion to another, not even necessarily another Christian sect or a theistic religion - but the common denominator and element that does not change is the "zeal" or fundamentalist attitude that the individual approaches their new found faith with. It's sort of like being infatuated I guess, obviously even the zealot would agree their previous faiths were in error and the current one is their "true love", but it may not really dawn on the person that they have this pattern of religion hopping when none of them have had any real deep impact on their life - it certainly didn't prompt them to do any self examination, or else they might have taken some time out instead of jumping on the next bandwagon.

OBSCENITEASE
OBSCENITEASE's picture
User is offlineOffline
anonuhmas wrote:Have fun

anonuhmas wrote:

Have fun with it while you're so inclined. I don't know how long you've been out but in my experience a lot of people just have that kind of fun early on, and later it just changes form if anything.

I can totally relate and his has changed forms over the years (It's been 4 years).  I used to be much more serious and determined.  There was a season where I was that Evangelistic Atheist and over the years I settled into what I see as simply 'undefinable'. 

I don't have a lot of patience any more for outlandish arguing with the irrational.  In all my arguing... I'm not sure what was gained, but in the play of it all I find joy.  I just like to laugh about the games we play with one another now. 

This is Entertainment for me now more than it is a 'mission'... but that, I supose is a mission within itself.  To encourage ALL to lighten up, recognize the game, and have fun with it.  I do believe that Dogmatic Narrow Thinking is the manifestation of a psychological handicap, but I also realize that we all grow and change according to our own journey. 

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
OBSCENITEASE wrote:... I

OBSCENITEASE wrote:

... I also realize that we all grow and change according to our own journey. 

You know, that's just it because I think essentially a lot of people are not growing - even if they change horizontally it's like there's much 'support' to remain at a certain level of development - but I suppose there are always going to be less people that can relate as you mature. I remember this line from Choke by Chuck Palahniuk "I'm not so much the good friend as the parent who doesn't want him to grow up" when one addict friend was telling another something like everything in moderation, even recovery.

I had the thought the other day that it's like child abuse is the common theme with a lot of things. Even when there's no direct physical abuse or anything there's a lot of encouragement to remain at the sensori-motor level to use just one model, so there's hardly a realization of the potential we know is there. At a certain point it's like people don't even WANT to grow and mature, it's like they are so well conditioned that they are happy living this rather limited life believing the same thing, acting the same way.. If they are not getting anywhere there's not much of a journey to speak of!

OBSCENITEASE
OBSCENITEASE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand cognitively why

I understand cognitively why people remain stagnant.  Growth implies death and death is hard to face without the wisdom to understand that Life itself springs from these deaths within our lives on a very practical level.  I’ve learned to die to the things that confine in order to fill my life with the things that I LOVE!  If we are to grow and change, we must be willing to die to something, be it a simple idea or something as extensive as a belief system.

I remember the days when I wanted so bad to hang on to my faith... the comfort of it... the security of it... but it slipped through my fingers as my heart just wanted Reality.

Even a year or so after the dis-illusion period, I found myself in tears listening to a worship song about heaven... Fuuuuuck I wished it were true... Damn it! Why do I have to die?!

However... I've come to realize that charging TOWARD death (be it a small death or ultimate death) is the best thing we can do in order to live a truly satisfying life in the present.... but that's just my journey.  Take it for what it's worth...

anonuhmas
User is offlineOffline
Yes, you might even say that

Yes, you might even say that a perpetual dying is the way to go - I'm sure you can appreciate that as well.

I wasn't thinking of the whole lost faith situation though, but actually more about the general population. It seems to me for most people they don't go through that kind of drama to come to an appreciation of what you're talking about and laziness may actually play a big part. The point about death still applies of course, but it is so easy to stay right where they're at you know? But I guess where there isn't much life there's not that much energy or inclination to really do anything either.

I'm reminded of Fight Club, I had gotten a t-shirt with the quote "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time." And of course in that scene after they crashed the car Tyler's line was "we just had a near life experience!"