Misled?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Misled?

In light of several recent threads involving conspiracy theories, I have a question.  There isn't a right or wrong answer.  I just want to know what everyone's opinion is.

Politically, what's the difference between misleading and lying?  I hear people say all the time that so-and-so misled the public.  How is that different from lying?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think there is one.

I don't think there is one. 'Misleading' is just a dressed-up term for lying, just like 'anti-gay marriage' is just a dressep-up term for anti-gay.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think they are both

I think they are both technically lying, but I would say a lie is something very direct, where misleading is more of a calculated phychological maneuver...still a lie nonetheless IMO.

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Kathie  is on the

I think Kathie  is on the right track here. Misleading involves leaving out valuabe information that contradicts what you are saying, as well using hyperbole to describe the threat involved. Leaving out information is often not seen as lying. Ultimately, if you want to get to the heart of the matter, the Bush Administration did both. Lying is more direct, but misleading people, depending on the stakes involved, is really not better ethically speaking, than lying.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
of course it depends on the

of course it depends on the situation but i generally feel misleading is often worse than lying... the extra points for misleading come in during all the cold calculated efforts to manipulate.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
STOP LYING , as best we can

STOP LYING , as best we can ..... We can do MUCH BETTER ..... please get pissed, please please ..... (thanks Hamby) 

Stop the liars ....    give them a loving slap .....

All is ONE , all the One I don't  know ....

Rapping to the drummer here, while reading RRS !

..... thanks for the lyrics

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mislead/Lying

The biggest difference is how it is structured, for example, Mislead usually from my experience is more towards omitting the parts of the truth, lying is usually trying to avoid telling the truth. eg. Hey Hamby is quoting the bible now and trying to convert people, the truth: Hamby is quoting the bible and showing the errors to try to convert people to atheism. Lying: Hamby is a chrisitian, I think that's the major difference, your omitting parts of the truth to make it seem how you want it to seem without directly lying about it all.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh and mislead/lying

Misleading your trying to get people to do something or have a specific opinion towards something, lying is just trying to save your ass or trying to cover something up.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Misleading

latincanuck wrote:

Misleading your trying to get people to do something or have a specific opinion towards something, lying is just trying to save your ass or trying to cover something up.

Yes, I think the general purpose of misleading is to dispense generally correct but incomplete information such that you get what you want but you can't be accused of outright lying since the things that you DID say were true in and of themselves.

I worked for a company once where I was responsible for forecasting revenue. The general manager of our particular office was extremely aggressive in her opinions about what revenue was going to be coming in. She would often have me bump certain chunks of revenue to more favorable outlooks even though she didn't have any concrete indications (like a signed contract, for example) to back it up. She would say "Oh, I talked to our contact at Potential Client X and things look really good", which may have been true but according to our revenue forecasting procedures it didn't warrant improving the outlook. And if the revenue fell through, she would always blame it on the contact. Essentially she was playing a shell game with our revenue forecasts because she was terrible at her job and didn't know any other way to do it.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
We seem to have a general

We seem to have a general agreement that misleading is using the truth to deceive, and lying is telling a blatant untruth.  Tow questions:

1) With regard to the Iraq invasion and occupation, is it fair to say that Bush misled congress and/or the public, or did he lie?

2) With regard to the way I asked the previous question, could I be accused of misleading, or only manipulation?  Officially, this has always been the "War in Iraq."  Nevertheless, we did invade their country, and we are occupying it.  What am I doing when I frame the question the way I did?  Clearly, I'm looking for a negative answer.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
If a person intentionally

If a person intentionally does either then there's no semantic difference and it just boils down to how whoever is saying it wants to style their comment.

When you want to say however that a person did something with the best of intentions but in doing so unintentionally lied to others who then followed his advice or leadership in the matter, then "misled" is probably the term you'll opt for, since the nominative form "liar" is pejorative (implies strong condemnation of the person) while the form "misleader" implies nothing so drastic. In fact I don't think I've ever heard it.

It's one of those ones where you have to say "give me the context" and then decide if the statement quoted is a genuine attempt to describe a sequence of events without apportioning too much blame on the instigator or, on the other hand, a blatant snow-job.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Ownership

If I were misled into thinking I owned 160 acres of land,  would it be a lie to claim to own less.  There is a difference.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks, yes. It would be

Boon Docks, yes. It would be a lie. But since it's not an intentional one on your part you would be most likely reported as having "misled" others in your assertion, at least by anyone observing the situation neutrally.

But the term "lie" still also applies to you - and the person who walked you into it - and anyone aggrieved at your false assertion would be technically correct, if a little harsh, in calling you a liar.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:We seem to

Hambydammit wrote:

We seem to have a general agreement that misleading is using the truth to deceive, and lying is telling a blatant untruth.  Tow questions:

1) With regard to the Iraq invasion and occupation, is it fair to say that Bush misled congress and/or the public, or did he lie?

2) With regard to the way I asked the previous question, could I be accused of misleading, or only manipulation?  Officially, this has always been the "War in Iraq."  Nevertheless, we did invade their country, and we are occupying it.  What am I doing when I frame the question the way I did?  Clearly, I'm looking for a negative answer.

1) He lied. He said there was a connection between Osama Bin Laden and Saddam. There wasn't. He said he wasn't going-in to take the oil. He did. He said they would find WMDs. They didn't.

2) ...I don't see how your question was misleading, unless you mean that it only has two choices for an answer? That would be pseudo-manipulation (but given that it only works on sheep with a low IQ, I can't say I really object to it)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:2) ...I don't see how

Quote:
2) ...I don't see how your question was misleading, unless you mean that it only has two choices for an answer? That would be pseudo-manipulation (but given that it only works on sheep with a low IQ, I can't say I really object to it)

I manipulated the question in three ways:

1) I called it "the invasion and occupation" instead of the "War in Iraq," which is the official name for it.  Invasion and occupation implies that we are the aggressors and instigators.  (Of course, I believe we are both, but the official story is that we're not.)

2) I only gave two choices, either one indicting.

3) This one is the really cool one.  I asked, "Is it fair to say" instead of "do you think that."  I wasn't technically asking for your opinion, but once you answer that it's fair to say, I will be able to say that it's your opinion.  I used soft words that would allow you to hedge, but once you have answered, it becomes obvious what your opinion is, and I can use it.

Books about atheism

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Nice use of weasel phrases

Nice use of weasel phrases and soft wording Hamby. Words matter. I have really gotten interested in the types of phrases and frames we employ in political debates. If you watch Outfoxed they break down a lot of the rhetorical debate styles used by the anchors on Fox News, its quite fascinating. As far as framing issues goes, I think Atheism could withstand an overhaul.

For the Iraq situation, I already made my thoughts on that known here.

The Framing of the Occupation of Iraq

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:2)

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I manipulated the question in three ways:

1) I called it "the invasion and occupation" instead of the "War in Iraq," which is the official name for it.  Invasion and occupation implies that we are the aggressors and instigators.  (Of course, I believe we are both, but the official story is that we're not.)

2) I only gave two choices, either one indicting.

3) This one is the really cool one.  I asked, "Is it fair to say" instead of "do you think that."  I wasn't technically asking for your opinion, but once you answer that it's fair to say, I will be able to say that it's your opinion.  I used soft words that would allow you to hedge, but once you have answered, it becomes obvious what your opinion is, and I can use it.

Well, okay. But I still think that the garden variety use of one's brain, as well as an unwillingness to dance-around the bush, still defeats this kind of soft manipulation anyway (it does in sales. I guess it's good for retailers in that regard, then, that so many people are rather dumbed down).

For example, if was strongly opinioned pro-war, I'd just have said:

1) George Bush isn't a liar. He's a real American hero! He loves Jesus, just like me, and I feel like he knows me. I could have a beer and play poker with that guy, y'know? Saddam was evil, and he got what he deserved, and now the Iraqis are forever endebted to us for saving their sorry asses.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

http://www.prosecutionofbush.com/

Short video include 

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: George

Kevin R Brown wrote:

George Bush isn't a liar. He's a real American hero! He loves Jesus, just like me, and I feel like he knows me. I could have a beer and play poker with that guy, y'know? Saddam was evil, and he got what he deserved, and now the Iraqis are forever endebted to us for saving their sorry asses.

This is a painfully accurate representation of the thought process of much of the midwest U.S....*sigh*

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, okay. But I

Quote:
Well, okay. But I still think that the garden variety use of one's brain, as well as an unwillingness to dance-around the bush, still defeats this kind of soft manipulation anyway (it does in sales. I guess it's good for retailers in that regard, then, that so many people are rather dumbed down).

I hate to say it, Kevin, but you overestimate humans.  You might be surprised how incredibly vulnerable we are to suggestion.  I recall an experiment I read about a couple of years ago, in which unsuspecting subjects were asked to hold a beverage for the interviewer, who was (intentionally) fumbling with too many papers to hold in one hand and still hold the drink.  One group was given a warm drink, and the other was given an iced drink.  They held the drink for a couple of minutes, and then began a "mock interview" in which they were supposed to give their impression of a job applicant.

Among the group that had held the warm drink, most had good (warm!) feelings towards the applicant, and said they would hire him.  Among the group that held the cold drink, almost all said he was distant and cold, and that they wouldn't hire him.  Of course, the applicant was an actor, and doing the exact same script each time. 

This is a technique known as priming.  We don't really know exactly why it works, and for that matter, we don't know why it works with some things and not with others, but it's repeatable in the situations where it works.

I've trained waiters to use language tricks on customers, and most have seen their tips increase at least 20%, sometimes more. 

Humans, it appears, innately believe that they are objective, but in reality, they are swayed by subconscious factors at many... maybe most turns.  That's why street magic works, after all.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I hate to say it, Kevin, but you overestimate humans.  You might be surprised how incredibly vulnerable we are to suggestion.  I recall an experiment I read about a couple of years ago, in which unsuspecting subjects were asked to hold a beverage for the interviewer, who was (intentionally) fumbling with too many papers to hold in one hand and still hold the drink.  One group was given a warm drink, and the other was given an iced drink.  They held the drink for a couple of minutes, and then began a "mock interview" in which they were supposed to give their impression of a job applicant.

Among the group that had held the warm drink, most had good (warm!) feelings towards the applicant, and said they would hire him.  Among the group that held the cold drink, almost all said he was distant and cold, and that they wouldn't hire him.  Of course, the applicant was an actor, and doing the exact same script each time. 

This is a technique known as priming.  We don't really know exactly why it works, and for that matter, we don't know why it works with some things and not with others, but it's repeatable in the situations where it works.

I've trained waiters to use language tricks on customers, and most have seen their tips increase at least 20%, sometimes more. 

Humans, it appears, innately believe that they are objective, but in reality, they are swayed by subconscious factors at many... maybe most turns.  That's why street magic works, after all.

That's rather interesting (intuitively, it's what I'd have expected, for some reason). Any idea what the sample size was, and what the percentages were of how many people performed according to the temperature of the drink?

I know that word tricks work in sales, but in my experience, they only work on specific demographs (and then there are certain word tricks and impulse techniques that work better or worse on different sub-demographs). 'You see why this has good value, right?' sold me more extended warranties (...Yes, I'm ashamed of myself) on MP3 electronics / headphones through bouncy, low-attention span girls in a day than most people would get in half a week. 'You understand that we can't help you if you don't purchase this, right?' was a real whammy on elderly customers.

Nothing got to some people, though. Successful-looking middle aged guy? Forget it. Oilfield grunt visiting for his weekly toy? Move along. Know-it-all techno-geek? Pfft, good luck. That's what I meant to articulate: in my experience, people with high self-esteem, high awareness and/or a solid head on their shoulders don't often fall for these simple tricks.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was doing that totally

I was doing that totally from memory.  I can't remember the details.  I know that the results were well within the range of statistical significance.

Quote:
I know that word tricks work in sales, but in my experience, they only work on specific demographs (and then there are certain word tricks and impulse techniques that work better or worse on different sub-demographs).

Of course!  That's why the best salesmen have different routines.  Half of their job is reading the customer fast enough (and accurately enough) to choose which mind tricks will work.  I don't feel like typing it out right now, but ask me in the chat room sometime about when I played a jedi mind trick on a football fan at a bar.

Quote:
Nothing got to some people, though. Successful-looking middle aged guy? Forget it.

That's because you're too young.

Quote:
That's what I meant to articulate: in my experience, people with high self-esteem, high awareness and/or a solid head on their shoulders don't often fall for these simple tricks.

They're more difficult, and yes, some people are almost impervious to the tricks of some other people.  However, everybody has blind spots, and on average, most people are blissfully unaware of just how much they're being manipulated moment to moment.

Books about atheism

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Kevin R Brown

geirj wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

George Bush isn't a liar. He's a real American hero! He loves Jesus, just like me, and I feel like he knows me. I could have a beer and play poker with that guy, y'know? Saddam was evil, and he got what he deserved, and now the Iraqis are forever endebted to us for saving their sorry asses.

This is a painfully accurate representation of the thought process of much of the midwest U.S....*sigh*

Sadly...a lot of people share that opinion here in North Florida as well.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:geirj

KathieG wrote:

geirj wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Err... People in those parts of America realize that Dubya is an alcoholic, right? Sticking out tongue

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Sadly...a lot of

Quote:

I understand why a lot of old people turn rethuglican, but the thing about Florida that puzzles me is how much of the Hispanic population voted for Bush.  It's baffling, considering he's the guy who wants to build a Great Wall of Texas and give border patrols orders to shoot to kill.

Books about atheism

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:he's the

Hambydammit wrote:

he's the guy who wants to build a Great Wall of Texas and give border patrols orders to shoot to kill.

How dare you defame the Great Wall of Texas...it will be seen from space, and will be used as a deterrent to alien races that we will not suffer aliens that are here illegally!

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. Watch this: This guy

Wow. Watch this:

This guy explains all the stuff we're talking about scientifically, and perfectly soundly.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, my..."There is literally

Oh, my...

"There is literally no such thing as a moderate."  Wow.  I'm going to have to give this some thought.  I can see how, if true, this would strengthen my argument against moderate religion.  I've been up too long to think about it critically today.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
He's just saying the term is

He's just saying the term is broad and can be misleading ... moderate what ? .... 

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Misleading would be going

Misleading would be going into a bar dressed in drag...

Lying would be going into a bar dressed in drag... and saying im a woman

subtle difference... i know

What Would Kharn Do?

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's nothing stopping you

There's nothing stopping you going into a bar in drag asserting the fact that you're not really a woman. Sorry, but you can't avoid the question of intention -

- especially in drag!

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I

Hambydammit wrote:
I understand why a lot of old people turn rethuglican, but the thing about Florida that puzzles me is how much of the Hispanic population voted for Bush.  It's baffling, considering he's the guy who wants to build a Great Wall of Texas and give border patrols orders to shoot to kill. 

Hamby,

I will assume you speak of GW Bush and not bro Jeb. You should not be too puzzled about the Hispanic vote in Florida. After all, the elections for GW were, of course, in 2000 and '04. The primary stink (sorry, couldn't help myself) on the whole wall issue did not really begin to waft over until shortly after his re-instatement. Prior to then the patient had a pulse but little more than that.

I'd be interested to see how much Geo would pull if a vote were to be held today. According to nearly every recent poll I've seen, his positive numbers are at another new all time low for a US Prez...

So anyway...how could you be against shoot to kill orders with a cat like that.... hehe

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was browsing through

I was browsing through thunderf00t's channel on YouTube when I saw this. I've seen this footage before, but only in parts, never with a full explanation or the full audio.

CAUTION: I think this video is important to watch, but DO NOT watch this in the presence of anyone you'd feel ashamed to shed some tears in front of.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, why is killing so easy

Yeah, why is killing so easy for so many ??? Obviously a human defect of some sort ....

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Yeah,

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Yeah, why is killing so easy for so many ??? Obviously a human defect of some sort ....

Really? cause as far as history is concerned... Living in Peace is the real defect -_-

What Would Kharn Do?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
yeah, ain't the truth , 

yeah, ain't the truth ,  shit ..... Beam me up, Scotty .....

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
No difference, except in the

No difference, except in the case when those doing the misleading have been mislead themselves by an outright liar.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”