Engineering Green 01: Rocket Stove

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Engineering Green 01: Rocket Stove

This is something awesome I found and recently built, and it has actually replaced my charcoal BBQ for high temperature cooking. I've found it gets more than hot enough to sear steak golden brown with my cast iron skillet.

Some things I altered about the design were:

• I fired two whole tube shaped bricks and one C-shaped brick, the idea being that a cylinder will focus heat better and prevent pockets of higher temperature air from forming. Also, gaps in the bricks used in the original design likely reduce the insulating properties of the sawdust.
  • Fired one additional wafer shaped brick with a lower sawdust amount (25 g Sawdust for every 115 g clay) and left a gap in the cement base so I could let the waste material out into a bin. I'm guessing that at a certain temperature the sawdust will compromise the structure of the brick, and I expected the bottom to get really hot. It seems that the ash provides adequate insulation anyway.
  • It looks like in the video they used dry pine. The wood I have was cut this year (for winter), and likely adversely affects the temperature and therefore the efficiency of the stove. Not to mention it's hard to start.

I haven't built a second, regular one yet to compare it to.

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Bump?

Bump?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched it, and I think

I watched it, and I think it's fascinating and awesome, but I don't have a kiln handy, so it's going to be a little tough for me to make.

Having said that, if anyone wants to make one for me, I'll be happy to give it a good life, and use it to make many people happy.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
neatO keenO , that's way

neatO keenO , that's way cool , for camping too ! Saves wood .... I will e-mail this out.

Thanks Inspector.      

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thanks guys. I actually

Thanks guys. I actually don't own a kiln myself either, but the art teacher at a local high school was kind enough to fire my implements for me once I explained it to him. You might check around - it seems there is no shortage of environmentally conscious art teachers.

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pre-made brick?

http://www.baileypottery.com/kilns/kilnmaterials.htm

The kiln bricks on this website might do well in case you don't want to or can't make your own.  By my calculations, the bricks are around the same density as mentioned in the video (Video says 0.6g/cc).

For example, the model K23-45-25-00 brick costs $3.15 a piece.  According to the website its specs are:

9" x 4.5" x 2.5" = 101.25 cu. inches = 1659.19023 cc
2.0 lbs = 907.18474 grams

For a density (to 2 significant figures) of 0.55g/cc  (907.18474g/1659.19023cc)

These pre-made bricks should float in water and do the trick.  Although I still bet it's tons more fun to make your own.

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TomJ

TomJ wrote:

http://www.baileypottery.com/kilns/kilnmaterials.htm

The kiln bricks on this website might do well in case you don't want to or can't make your own.  By my calculations, the bricks are around the same density as mentioned in the video (Video says 0.6g/cc).

For example, the model K23-45-25-00 brick costs $3.15 a piece.  According to the website its specs are:

9" x 4.5" x 2.5" = 101.25 cu. inches = 1659.19023 cc
2.0 lbs = 907.18474 grams

For a density (to 2 significant figures) of 0.55g/cc  (907.18474g/1659.19023cc)

These pre-made bricks should float in water and do the trick.  Although I still bet it's tons more fun to make your own.

More fun? Yes. Does everyone have access to a kiln? I'm not sure.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
i have access to a kiln -

i have access to a kiln - i'd be happy to make the bricks and give them to people but the cost of shipping might be counterproductive(?).