Pissed Off at the Spell Check

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pissed Off at the Spell Check

[rant]

The spell check here is really, really pissing me off.  I have absolutely no wish to see red underlined words and to doubt the accuracy of my spelling when I am not using American forms which is always because I am not American!

My browser's dictionary doesn't even function inside the text box, which also pisses me off.

[/rant]

Sorry, I think.  I had to get that off my chest.  It really is pissing me off as I feel very strongly about words being spelled in particular ways and not in others and because when I do make a mistake I want to be able to correct it rather than see another incorrect way of spelling the word (yes, I know, it's odd that I know how not to spell the word and not how the word is spelled simulatneously).

If anyone else would like to complain about the spell check feel free to do so here and also feel free to add a word spelled any way other than in the American form that gets underlined as incorrect.

colour

centre

neighbour

practice

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh, get over it.  It's the

Meh, get over it.  It's the internet, it's an American based website.  Keep spelling words the way you'd prefer.

One thing I would like to bring up though.  The last two to three days when I've clicked on the spell check button the window opens up as per normal for me but then displays a nice big "Forbidden".  Is it just me or are others getting this as well?

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Add me

Not only is the spell check not working, but I would like to see grammar check also.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Meh, get over

thingy wrote:

Meh, get over it.  It's the internet, it's an American based website.  Keep spelling words the way you'd prefer.

One thing I would like to bring up though.  The last two to three days when I've clicked on the spell check button the window opens up as per normal for me but then displays a nice big "Forbidden".  Is it just me or are others getting this as well?

Obviously it hasn't kept me from posting so it's not really that big a deal. I just felt like complaining.  No, it's not working.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Eye halve a spelling

Eye halve a spelling cheque
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Grammar check

Cute poem, but I think this is where the grammar check would have a field day.

Aqua_Seal
User is offlineOffline
I'm American and spell checkers tick me off

Probably because I use some British-type grammar, such as parallelled instead of paralleled.  Why can't companies just patch their software to count both versions as correct?

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Spell Checker Fixed

The window that opens with the spell check button was not working due to some configuration changes I made for making the website a little more difficult to hack.  Thanks for letting me know.  I guess not many people were using it because I did not see it in the error logs (it is probably there, but buried underneath all of the page not found errors created from bad links).  I am not sure which software is responsible for the red underlines.

I usually write my posts in OpenOffice, copy and paste into Notepad (to remove formatting data), and then cut and paste into the web site's text editor.  I do this mainly because I can save my posts if something happens to the web browser.

I wonder if being able to write in US English and British English makes a person bilingual. Smiling  Anyway, the RRS is headquartered in the US, so we use US English on the website.  "colour" is foreign to US citizens (as is "grey" ), so it makes sense for the spell checker to complain about it.

A grammar checker would be cool.  Maybe it could remind British people that "smoke a fag" implies murder in US English.

The poem was cute.  I uploaded the text to speech output here for the fun of it.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:[rant]The

Thomathy wrote:

[rant]

The spell check here is really, really pissing me off.  I have absolutely no wish to see red underlined words and to doubt the accuracy of my spelling when I am not using American forms which is always because I am not American!

i have a similar problem... i have arthritis in my left wrist and subsequently very rarely use capital letters (the pinky stretch is insanely painful).  days of the week, etc. typically end up underlined.  i used to stop and double-check to see if i actually did make a mistake, however, now i've taken thingy's approach - just get used to it.

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:[rant]The

Thomathy wrote:

[rant]

My browser's dictionary doesn't even function inside the text box, which also pisses me off.

[/rant]

Sorry, I think.  I had to get that off my chest.  It really is pissing me off as I feel very strongly about words being spelled in particular ways and not in others and because when I do make a mistake I want to be able to correct it rather than see another incorrect way of spelling the word (yes, I know, it's odd that I know how not to spell the word and not how the word is spelled simulatneously).

If anyone else would like to complain about the spell check feel free to do so here and also feel free to add a word spelled any way other than in the American form that gets underlined as incorrect.

colour

centre

neighbour

practice

Thats because they are 100% wrong...grow up...drop the accent and join the winning team. Smiling

and BTW isnt that how practice is really spelled?

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:simulatneouslySimultane

Quote:

simulatneously

Simultaneously

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
christian ^ according to

christian

^ according to your spell checker, christian is spelt wrong (so is spelt, btw... and btw)

Ive been giggling about it for a while now (i suspect sabotage ! )

I could care less, about the spell checker what i want, is for the damn size/color/bold/font style etc to actually work!

What Would Kharn Do?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
"spelt" is wrong. Correct =

"spelt" is wrong.

Correct = "spelled."

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:"spelt" is

MattShizzle wrote:

"spelt" is wrong.

Correct = "spelled."

Well... ya... if you want to get technical...

What Would Kharn Do?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:"spelt" is

MattShizzle wrote:

"spelt" is wrong.

Correct = "spelled."

Ugh, Matt, spelt is spelt correctly.  Spelled is an alternative spelling.  I believe the former is a British form.

Thanks, deludedgod!  :P  Perhaps if my firefox spell checker could actually work in this god forsaken text box I'd have caught that.

BigUniverse wrote,

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote:Thats

iluvc2h5oh wrote:
Thats because they are 100% wrong...grow up...drop the accent and join the winning team. Smiling

and BTW isnt that how practice is really spelled?

100% wrong... actually, I don't very much care about how anybody spells anything as long as I can understand it.  Of course, I don't care much to waste time decoding words that can be confused with other words, but English syntax and the context usually take care of that problem.  You do know that I actually speak the most flat, unaccented form (in Linguistic terms) of English in the world, right?  It's a trademark of my particular region in Canada.  I have an accent of course, but you have an accent too.  Oh, but you're on the winning team! Sticking out tongue

Practise and practice.  I can point out a difference in their uses.

BigUniverse wrote,

Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, the text box on this

yeah, the text box on this site pisses me off. I prefer being able to right click on wrong words and have the list of words spelt correctly listed. Also the spell checker in this box isn't picking up on things like 'tht' 'riht' and many other misspelled words. Every time I go to cut/paste/copy I get that damned javascript menu that doesn't work as I have the NoScript firefox plugin. Before I got the plugin and everything worked normally, with the spell check, it used to take ages to load and sift through the misspelled words which mostly where 'christian' with a lower case "C" and annoying things like that which have been added to my firefox spell check.

and damn it, its aluminium, not aluminum. (and the spell check has completely missed 'ckecker' riht' 'tihe' 'aegs' and a multitude of other mistakes).

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Arkanrais wrote:yeah, the

Arkanrais wrote:

yeah, the text box on this site pisses me off. I prefer being able to right click on wrong words and have the list of words spelt correctly listed. Also the spell checker in this box isn't picking up on things like 'tht' 'riht' and many other misspelled words. Every time I go to cut/paste/copy I get that damned javascript menu that doesn't work as I have the NoScript firefox plugin. Before I got the plugin and everything worked normally, with the spell check, it used to take ages to load and sift through the misspelled words which mostly where 'christian' with a lower case "C" and annoying things like that which have been added to my firefox spell check.

and damn it, its aluminium, not aluminum. (and the spell check has completely missed 'ckecker' riht' 'tihe' 'aegs' and a multitude of other mistakes).

I know, I almost feel wrong for typing god and not God.  But, hell, it's PRIDE weekend, I can be forgiving and besides, I am particulararly drunk.   Cheers for PRIDE!  WOO-HOO!

BigUniverse wrote,

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FUCK them RULES , just

FUCK them RULES , just communicate , reach out .....................................................