What do you do when religion comes up in a conversation?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What do you do when religion comes up in a conversation?

I don't reveal that I'm a Theist even when I'm asked directly or to my friends. If I am I usually say something like 'who the fuck cares?' or something to that effect or just dodge the point completely even to my friend despite the fact that I know he's Christian.

I don't think anybody even knows I'm a Theist, even my family/friends (except my brother because I lent him 'The God Theory' by Haisch. I only did that that because He lent me 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins...)

But even then I don't discuss Theism except when I'm here.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really depends

depending on my mood, on the context of the conversation, for the most part all my friends and most of my aquaintences know I am an atheist, mainly because I outspoke about religious violence and ignorace that arises from religion (not just with christianity, but with hinduism, muslims, and various other faiths). However with strangers, it really depends where I am at, in the states, I try not to because I am in a different country, plus that last few times that I have, have ended with threats to my life (usually I laught it off because I know it's all talk and no actions but still).  In South America, with family they ALL know my views, however other people I tend not to because of strong catholic beliefs there.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tend to nod my head and

I tend to nod my head and smile.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends on the context, but

Depends on the context, but most of the time, if religion is coming up in a conversation that I'm in, it's one of two things.  Either it's friends who know that I'm atheist, so I'm free to speak my mind, or it's polite company.  If it's polite company, religion is supposed to be off limits, so I usually just change the topic or stay out of the discussion.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, i'll echo hamby's

yeah, i'll echo hamby's response.  a lot of people know me in this area (plus 80% of the google hits for my name involve atheism) so it's not that big of an issue - personally.  if i'm in a situation where i feel uncomfortable saying something about my atheism, it's probably in a scenario where none of us should be discussing religion anyway.

on occasion i hear from someone i haven't spoken to in 10 years.  typically these are people that went to catholic school with me.  if they still maintain their faith i usually don't even have to say a word.  one look at my profile and they block me... sometimes it's more shocking to them than my wheelchair (only had it for 5 years).  now that really tells you something about a person, doesn't it?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:now that really tells

Quote:
now that really tells you something about a person, doesn't it?

The thing that is still shocking to me is how many people immediately un-friend me on myspace, even though they have "agnostic" on their profile.  The plus for me is that there aren't a ton of people from my school days that I particularly liked, so it hasn't usually been a big loss.  But yeah, I'm with you.  Myspace has provided a lot of people the opportunity to find me and then immediately ignore me completely.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
I have no problem with

I have no problem with letting people know that I am an atheist, nor do I have problems discussing religion and my viewpoint thereof.

If they have a problem with me because of my belief's and they choose not to interact with me anymore then that is their problem, not mine.

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great question!

I guess it depends on how deep the discussion gets. I am a lot more open about my atheism these days because I grew tired of having to hide it while theists made constant references to jesus, prayer etc.

I have been a member of a horse-oriented message board for several years and recently mentioned my atheism casually in a thread discussing religion. It was amazing how people changed towards me after that...it was pretty obvious IMO. When someone brought up my atheism as a "jab" in a later thread, I tried to explain in a nice way that I am not an evil devil worshipper, and that I simply believe in one less god than they do...I was promptly told that I'd "better stop before someone's feelings get hurt".

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I tried to explain in

Quote:
I tried to explain in a nice way that I am not an evil devil worshipper, and that I simply believe in one less god than they do...I was promptly told that "I'd better stop before someone's feelings get hurt".

Yeah...

So, they get to ostracize you, call you an evil person, and then tell you that you ought to shut up because you're the one going to hurt someone's feelings.

In psychology, that's called projection.

Books about atheism

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I tried to explain in a nice way that I am not an evil devil worshipper, and that I simply believe in one less god than they do...I was promptly told that "I'd better stop before someone's feelings get hurt".

Yeah...

So, they get to ostracize you, call you an evil person, and then tell you that you ought to shut up because you're the one going to hurt someone's feelings.

In psychology, that's called projection.

You got it. Nice huh?

Here's another good comment I received, I'm paraphrasing here... "I'm not intolerant, I don't mind people of other relgions, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish etc...at least they believe in SOMETHING"

So apparently to this person, as long as you believe in some sort of superstition, your a-ok!

I'm so done with that forum...I rarely make an appearance there now for obvious reasons.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn, Kathie.  I thought I

Damn, Kathie.  I thought I was the only insomniac on at this hour!

Anyway, yeah, I get that all the time.  At least I believe in something!  You atheists believe in nothing!

Besides being absolutely, totally, and in all other ways, inconceivably stupid, this argument is also really insulting.  First, the inconceivably stupid part.  It's a false dichotomy, asserting that believing in religion is the only alternative to believing in nothing.  Obviously, I could believe that there is no god, but that aliens are watching us from invisible spaceships hovering just inches above earth's atmosphere.  I could believe that everything is natural, and that everything conforms to real, objective laws of science.  I could believe that I am a brain in a vat, and everything I perceive is illusory.

The point is, there are many things to believe in, and a lack of belief in religion means only that.  It doesn't necessitate or imply what other beliefs a person might or might not have.

Second, how the fuck do you believe in nothing?

Third, how insulting!  This whole line of thinking suggests that I am somehow empty, and that my life is meaningless.  How dare they tell me I have no meaning when they have no idea what gives me happiness!?

By the way, if you haven't checked out my author section yet, you might like this article:

For New Atheists: Is This Really All There Is?

Once you get past the stuff about NDE's, there's a nice explanation of where and how atheists derive meaning from life, and what we are perfectly justified in believing.

Quote:
I'm so done with that forum...I rarely make an appearance there now for obvious reasons.

We're much cooler than them, anyway.  We're hawt atheists on teh interwebs.

Books about atheism

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really depends on the

Really depends on the audience, but I try to be honest. The people at work know I'm athiest now, as do my friends and immediate family. I would even think that the very religious side of my family knows, although it is possible they prefer not to think about it at all (the christian way). If the religious folk mention god I tend to bite my tongue, rather than upset them, although god has tended to be mentioned in an off the cuff way rather than as an actual conversation topic. I would be honest with them if they asked.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Ignore them only extremely

Ignore them only extremely rude people bring up religion (or atheism) for that matter in general conversation. There are times of course when its appropiate like at a church , an internet forum ,RE ,science lecture or discussing the news perhaps but to randomly bring it up really isnt needed

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Damn,

Hambydammit wrote:

Damn, Kathie.  I thought I was the only insomniac on at this hour!

Anyway, yeah, I get that all the time.  At least I believe in something!  You atheists believe in nothing!

Besides being absolutely, totally, and in all other ways, inconceivably stupid, this argument is also really insulting.  First, the inconceivably stupid part.  It's a false dichotomy, asserting that believing in religion is the only alternative to believing in nothing.  Obviously, I could believe that there is no god, but that aliens are watching us from invisible spaceships hovering just inches above earth's atmosphere.  I could believe that everything is natural, and that everything conforms to real, objective laws of science.  I could believe that I am a brain in a vat, and everything I perceive is illusory.

The point is, there are many things to believe in, and a lack of belief in religion means only that.  It doesn't necessitate or imply what other beliefs a person might or might not have.

Second, how the fuck do you believe in nothing?

Third, how insulting!  This whole line of thinking suggests that I am somehow empty, and that my life is meaningless.  How dare they tell me I have no meaning when they have no idea what gives me happiness!?

By the way, if you haven't checked out my author section yet, you might like this article:

For New Atheists: Is This Really All There Is?

Once you get past the stuff about NDE's, there's a nice explanation of where and how atheists derive meaning from life, and what we are perfectly justified in believing.

Quote:

We're much cooler than them, anyway.  We're hawt atheists on teh interwebs.

Yep...I'm an insomniac, I'm up to around 6:00 am lately.

So, yes...I tried to explain to these people that I beleive in many things...they didn't seem to grasp the concept. Big Surprise!

I will peruse your article...sounds interesting.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yep...I'm an

Quote:
Yep...I'm an insomniac, I'm up to around 6:00 am lately.

Welcome to the club.

I've just never found mornings to be remotely satisfying, and two decades of working until 3AM have left their mark.

If you like the article, feel free to trick your theist friends into reading it.  I love when theists try to argue with me about stuff like that.  Most of them are smart enough not to, unfortunately.

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
It usually depends on who

It usually depends on who I'm with,and how much we've drunk. I don't usually speak about it much, I just prefer to save these things for the forums where it's easier to collect my thoughts and make a more compelling argument.If someone persists in asking though, I won't back down.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I usually ask a simple,

I usually ask a simple, practical question that gets everyone to laugh as a defensive response to being shown the utter irrelevance of such discussions. "If your car stalled and someone stopped,  is it more important that the peerson believes in God or isn;ta serial killer?".  I usually vary the question depending on the company like if I'm with a group of guys I ask "whats more important?  That she believes in God or that shes willing to give you a blowjob?"  That usually halts any discussion on religion becuase some guys try to act pious by claming they would not think to have a girl do such a thing and then the whole signifigance of blowjobs discussion begins which is much more relevant to what we do as human beings.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:But even

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

But even then I don't discuss Theism except when I'm here.

One of the nice things about this site is that you can discuss theism without getting everyone all awkward. I'll never bring it up, if that's what you mean. Why would I, really? "Oh, also unicorns don't exist. Also leprechans. The Force and other Star Wars concepts. And fairies - don't forget faries." Serioiusly, are we going to catalogue everything that's fantasy based?

When I have been in the company of people I don't know, I tend to make it comedy immediately. Doing a Jack Black impersonation and singing "Don't make me blow your mi-ind!" is a good start. If people keep on me about religion, I warn them that everything I say will be offensive.

After that, it's fucking ON. Any adult who's been warned twice to step off deserves whatever mind blowing they get. 

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
whoa!

"the Force" doesn't exist??  That sucks, man! What's going to keep me from lasing through my leg on the quick draw...

KathieG
KathieG's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:When I

HisWillness wrote:

When I have been in the company of people I don't know, I tend to make it comedy immediately. Doing a Jack Black impersonation and singing "Don't make me blow your mi-ind!" is a good start. If people keep on me about religion, I warn them that everything I say will be offensive.

After that, it's fucking ON. Any adult who's been warned twice to step off deserves whatever mind blowing they get. 

LOL...love Jack Black. Skidoosh.

I agree, I'm the same way...if people keep pushing, watch out! If it's someone particularly annoying...I also love to follow up my best points with BAM! . They love that.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
JustAnotherBeliever

JustAnotherBeliever wrote:

"the Force" doesn't exist??  That sucks, man! What's going to keep me from lasing through my leg on the quick draw...

You ignite the light saber BEFORE you draw it out . . . dumbass Eye-wink  And the Force doesn't, necessarily determine your light saber skill.  It can just enhance it by allowing you to see a few moments ahead while in a fight . . . . . . anyway . . . so the Lakers had their asses handed to them huh?

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never bothered to

I never bothered to pretend  I don't believe or avoid answering a question. I think it is just part of my nature, I am just tact-blind.

Ecrasez l'infame!

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:I agree, I'm

KathieG wrote:

I agree, I'm the same way...if people keep pushing, watch out! If it's someone particularly annoying...I also love to follow up my best points with BAM! . They love that.

Aristotle might have believed that "essence" was the nature of a thing.  Little did he know that essence was merely a red spicy powder used to season various meals.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm up front about my

I'm up front about my atheism. Generally I don't talk about religion, but if someone brings it up and questions me on it I have no problem with an honest chat.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Some people think I'm

Some people think I'm atheist because they think I'm pissed off all the time.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
KathieG wrote:I also love to

KathieG wrote:

I also love to follow up my best points with BAM! . They love that.

Yeah, if they can't answer ANY questions, and they're back against the inevitable metaphysical ropes ...

"What's that? Kalam cosmological argument? The universe has a beginning, but not your special invisible friend? Special pleading! BAM!"

"Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot killed people because they were insane and drunk on power, not because they were atheists! BAM!"

"Now you're not even making any sense - I'm not a Satanist! Ad hominem! BAY-UM!"

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Some

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I thought you were an atheist. I mean, you ARE pissed off all the time.

Do you have a blue shirt and a grouchy look? Ah? Closet atheist? You know you want to stop believing stuff. C'mon. Join the dark side. It's ... pretty much the same, except for the hot chicks. I'm talking 72 vir-- ... okay, they're not virgins, but who wants to deal with a woman who doesn't know what she's doing, right? Am I right? Am I right or am I right?

Let's recap.

Theist women: So conflicted, which is kind of hot, but ultimately annoying in a tedious way. No idea what she's supposed to do with her hoo-hoo. Also, she calls it "her hoo-hoo". Fuck.

Atheist women: Hot and bothered total bitch. Y'know that bitch-in-a-good-way bitch? Yeah. If she yells, "Oh God", she's talking to YOU, dude.

Theist men: Ew. Fucking ew.

Atheist men: That infuriating jackass prick son-of-a-bitch you always hoped would bring you the multiple lobotomy-class orgasms from the heavens you've been dreaming of. That's right. It's right here on the badge, baby. How you doin'?

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm usually pretty honest,

I'm usually pretty honest, depending on the circumstances.  I mean, I obviously can't be totally honest about my views on religion when I'm talking to my parents or grandparents, but they at least know that I've distanced myself significantly from protestantism.  Most of the conversations I have about God and religion usually go down in stereotypical grad school fashion--which is fine, because I guess I'm a stereotypical grad student to a certain extent, and I'm fine with that. 

God has become less of a belief for me and more of a fascination or obsession with an idea over the past several years, and most of my friends--who seem to be at least ambivalent or even indifferent towards God and religion--are actually pretty supportive of me.  

So in the presence of my peers, I usually just let it fly. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Yeah, if

HisWillness wrote:

Yeah, if they can't answer ANY questions, and they're back against the inevitable metaphysical ropes ...

"What's that? Kalam cosmological argument? The universe has a beginning, but not your special invisible friend? Special pleading! BAM!"

"Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot killed people because they were insane and drunk on power, not because they were atheists! BAM!"

"Now you're not even making any sense - I'm not a Satanist! Ad hominem! BAY-UM!"

"You went from God being as obvious as my foot in your ass to being as mysterious as Carmen in Sand Diego within 5 minutes? Buh Buh BIZZAM BOI!!!.  And one more for your mother! oo ooOO OOO BAM!"

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Doing a

HisWillness wrote:

Doing a Jack Black impersonation and singing "Don't make me blow your mi-ind!" is a good start.

I believe I'm not alone when I say that I'd pay money to see that impersonation.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Atheist

HisWillness wrote:

Atheist men: That infuriating jackass prick son-of-a-bitch you always hoped would bring you the multiple lobotomy-class orgasms from the heavens you've been dreaming of. That's right. It's right here on the badge, baby. How you doin'?

Cocky, aren't we?

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I don't

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I don't think anybody even knows I'm a Theist...

I'm demoting you to PFC, you sound like it's something to be ashamed of.

There's very few things as much fun as watching a religious zealot squirm as they run out of BS.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Doing a Jack Black impersonation and singing "Don't make me blow your mi-ind!" is a good start.

I believe I'm not alone when I say that I'd pay money to see that impersonation.

At the very least I should be able to provide you with audio. Gimme a couple of days.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Cocky, aren't we?

Yeah.

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am quite upfront.

I am quite upfront.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:ou sound

Abu Lahab wrote:

ou sound like it's something to be ashamed of.

No not really, but among my co-workers I'd say the majority are atheist and they're more outspoken than the Theists.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Pissed off

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

How does looking pissed of make you Atheist??

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Continue friendships

KathieG wrote:

...I was promptly told that I'd "better stop before someone's feelings get hurt".

I suppose if you want to continue in your horse club you should refrain from any and all conversations reguarding religion.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: No not

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No not really, but among my co-workers I'd say the majority are atheist and they're more outspoken than the Theists.

If there were more theists than atheists, it'd probably be the other way around. Where do you work that's so godless?

Not a day goes by in my office that I don't hear the G-bomb (in a praising sort of way, though I say it vain behind my closed office door almost constantly).

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Not a day goes

geirj wrote:

Not a day goes by in my office that I don't hear the G-bomb

Gimelstab? Eye-wink

Ender
User is offlineOffline
No Shame

I think my friends realized I was an atheist before I did. I never gave a second thought to dissing religion in all it's forms.

I always spoke my mind about what I thought about theism even before I intentionally questioned faith.

For me the great realization of atheism wasn't that I didn't believe, it was that so many other people did.

As a result, my usual reaction to  theism rearing its head in conversation was/is akin to "Oh, That Crap?"

Ok, so it's not polite.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:If there were

geirj wrote:

If there were more theists than atheists, it'd probably be the other way around. Where do you work that's so godless?

Government job.

Maybe I used bad wording, I mean the majority of those that speak out are atheist, so I don't know the actual Theist/atheist ratio.

And by 'more outspoken', I meant that they talk about religion more than the Theists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They should make a t-shirt

They should make a t-shirt that says something like "be the 4th person to bring up your religion to me today and win a free kick in the taint."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks

Boon Docks wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

How does looking pissed of make you Atheist??

Oh Boon Docks, you're obviously too young to have heard of this terrible, terrible stereotype. It is sometimes said that atheists are constantly in a petulant, bitter rage. It's nonsense.

And you will pay for your insolence, Pineapple! Oh, you will pay! (*sob* my mother and father never really loved me *sob*). Where are my black jeans and eyeliner? My next blog post is going to be SCATHING!

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: Oh Boon

HisWillness wrote:

Oh Boon Docks, you're obviously too young to have heard of this terrible, terrible stereotype. It is sometimes said that atheists are constantly in a petulant, bitter rage. It's nonsense.

And besides, they wouldn't like us when we're angry . . *tries to turn green* . . . one day . . . it will happen.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
greek goddess

greek goddess wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

WHAT!?

Will, I say we organize a dynamic duo Tenacious D night on Stickam.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Milkshake89
Milkshake89's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where I live, there are many

Where I live, there are many atheists. And theists are usually not serious about their beliefs. Nobody gives a fuck anymore lol

But there are still blind believers (the sort that never picked up a bible) who will say dumb shit. And since we're at it, there are atheists who won't know why there are still monkeys on the planet if we evolved from them.

Religion rarely comes in a conversation, and when it does, it's normally constant mindless bashing. I don't hang around with very intelligent people, I must say.