A twist on "writing circles"

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
A twist on "writing circles"

I have an idea and would like to find out who would be interested in participating.

The idea comes from hearing about writing groups who meet monthly, taking turns writing, presenting and critiquing each others work.

I think a fun twist on this would be a community writing project. Each person interested would participate through adding their own 'story' to an ongoing story...

example: Lets say we want to write a Sci Fi story. One person would start the project or 'story' by writing the first chapter. The next person would pick  up where that person left off and write a chapter and so on. Each person adding their own style and flair!

Thoughts on this? It just sounds like good summer fun Smiling

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
That does sound

That does sound interesting.I've been saying for ages I'm going to start writing more. I have to admit though,the way I procrastinate I don't know if I'd get anywhere.Shall have to see how many others want to.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
A few years ago at another

A few years ago at another forum I wrote fiction using various forum members as characters in the story.  Some people really liked it.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
writing for fun eh?

Sounds like fun to me Smiling

M

Period
User is offlineOffline
The technique you describe

The technique you describe is known as Exquisite Corpse and I commend you for bringing it up on these forums. I used to indulge in it daily in highschool, sometimes with other students, sometimes with teachers. Results can range from incoherently boring to hilarious.

Exquisite Corpse can also be applied to drawings: Fold a piece of drawing paper in half. Person A draws the upper or left half of a person, animal or fanciful creature, then Person B draws the lower or right parts, ideally of something that has little to no relation with Person A's contribution. We often used dice, assigning either sex, species, or habitat to numbers on the die. You could also try this with various religious, spiritual, occult symbols or Muhammad.

I'd take part in this writing circle. It's been so long and the best results are usually from amongst relative strangers,

Paul.

"'My dear,' Madame Delbene replied, 'the universe runs itself, and the eternal laws inherent in Nature suffice, without any first cause or prime mover, to produce all that is and all that we know; the perpetual movement of matter explains everything: why need we supply a motor to that which is ever in motion? The universe is an assemblage of unlike entities which act and react mutually and successively with and against each other; I discern no start, no finish, no fixed boundaries, this universe I see only as an incessant passing from one state into another, and within it only particular beings which forever change shape and form, but I acknowledge no universal cause behind and distinct from the universe and which gives it existence and which procures the modifications in the particular beings composing it... the absolute contrary holds... We need not fret if we find nothing to substitute for chimeras, and above all let us never accept as cause for what we do not comprehend something else we comprehend even less." - Marquis de Sade, Juliette, pg. 43.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
BEST. IDEA. EVER.Quote:That

BEST. IDEA. EVER.

Quote:
That does sound interesting.I've been saying for ages I'm going to start writing more. I have to admit though,the way I procrastinate I don't know if I'd get anywhere.Shall have to see how many others want to.

That's the brilliant part though, Loc! Projects like this can help you fight procrastination tendencies, since you just throw-up your hand, say 'Next!' and then contribute as much or as little to the story as you like.

DIBS ON STARTING US OFF! POST WILL BE UP IN A JIFFY!

(I'll even set-up some loose organizational guidelines so there's accidental overlapping by people)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great Idea

I'm in.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll play too.Kevin R Brown

I'll play too.

Kevin R Brown wrote:
I'll even set-up some loose organizational guidelines so there's accidental overlapping by people

Thank you.  I was wondering about how to handle that.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:BEST.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

BEST. IDEA. EVER.

Quote:

That's the brilliant part though, Loc! Projects like this can help you fight procrastination tendencies, since you just throw-up your hand, say 'Next!' and then contribute as much or as little to the story as you like.

DIBS ON STARTING US OFF! POST WILL BE UP IN A JIFFY!

(I'll even set-up some loose organizational guidelines so there's accidental overlapping by people)

Fantastic guys!!

A few questions to consider:

-Group decision on genre? or mixed genre based on writers desire (story goes where it will go)

-Limit to Chapters?

I think it is a good idea to have a strong writer for the opening so Kevin, go for it! OH and lets start a new "forum"....Kevin, can you create that type of content within the site?

Smiling

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can we make it nonfiction?

Let me start.

About 14 billion years ago (a year being a measure of forward mass/energy activity connoted by the planet Earth completing one revolution around a sun called Sol) a thing called Everything, otherwise known as the universe,  underwent a hiccup which was given the cognomen of Big Bang.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
writing subject

I'm IN.

And just as a side thought...if we thought about doing something related to secularism, it could possibly be published in Secular Nation (as I am an editor there for now).

I would have to be really good (I am trying hard to raise the bar of the quality and consistency of the articles in the magazine...)...but just a thought.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
ooo, Me too! Put me on the

ooo, Me too! Put me on the list

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:I'm IN.And

entomophila wrote:

I'm IN.

And just as a side thought...if we thought about doing something related to secularism, it could possibly be published in Secular Nation (as I am an editor there for now).

I would have to be really good (I am trying hard to raise the bar of the quality and consistency of the articles in the magazine...)...but just a thought.

Wow ento, that is a great thought! Smiling

We should keep that in mind as this grows...I am sure the first run will have a few hiccups and once we all get the hang of it maybe we could do it on the subject of secularism!

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, it's been a looong time

Man, it's been a looong time since I've wrote anything for fun.

I miss working on short stories. So yeah, count me in!

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also, lets keep the theists

Also, lets keep the theists out of it

I know.

I am mean arent I?

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
OKAYThanks to Kevin for

OKAY
Thanks to Kevin for rolling this out...here is the official start to this adventure: GO HERE

Please read the guidelines and HAVE FUN   Smiling

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Can we make it

aiia wrote:

Nonfiction?  Aww... but, everything is better with dragons (especially ice cream).

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Would it be ok to start a

Would it be ok to start a new story while one's going on? I remeber there was a section on an old BBS I was on (that's what was "online" before the internet to the younger people - you actually had to dial a different number for each one - if it wasn't based really close to you the call cost money. And long distance calls cost more back then .... anyway....) for this sort of thing with about 8 stories at once going on. I have an idea for an Urabn Fiction one.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, Matt, I wouldn't want

Well, Matt, I wouldn't want the general convo forum to suddenly become clogged with story-starters (...I mean, I don't make or enforce the rule here, so I couldn't tell you 'Yeah, that's cool,' or 'No, that's not cool anyway, but...); why not just join-in on the Naked Menagerie? Everyone's welcome, and there' no rule that says you can't shift the camera away to develop another part of the world. Why not post-up a NEXT position in the queue, and go ahead and fill-in your urban fiction story right there? Some of the most interesting stories are ones that start with several different, apparently unrelated, tangents, and manage to spectacularly tie them together later.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Becuase it has utterly

Becuase it has utterly nothing to do with what that story's about - not the slightest bit sci-fi.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Becuase it

MattShizzle wrote:

Becuase it has utterly nothing to do with what that story's about - not the slightest bit sci-fi.

That's still cool, Matt. Throw it in there anyway. It'll be like a seperate vignette. Smiling

Quote:

February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I really don't see how a

I really don't see how a story about a pimp in Detroit could possibly tie in to a SF story set in Egypt.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

albedo_00
albedo_00's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I really

MattShizzle wrote:

I really don't see how a story about a pimp in Detroit could possibly tie in to a SF story set in Egypt.

Mmm, maybe a really successful pimp that trades slaves from Egypt?

Lenore, The Cute Little Dead Girl. Twice as good as Jesus.