Another Example of Religious Pandering in the News

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another Example of Religious Pandering in the News

It's an interesting story, to be sure.  American WNBA star chooses Russia over her home country.... news at 6.  The question I have is why they felt compelled to mention God at all.  This is about sports, and yet the reporter wants to make certain that we know this girl was at least raised to be a good Christian... um... American...

Rosvarga
Rosvarga's picture
User is offlineOffline
What puzzles me is the

What puzzles me is the irrational fear/hate many people have of Russia.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cold War hangover, I

Cold War hangover, I imagine.  Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like the whole thing about her being raised in the midwest (bread basket of America!) and instilled with Christian values (not like those atheist Russians!) was a not-so-subtle attempt to cash in on the old anti-Soviet emotions.  People my age and older remember the nuclear war drills, where we had to crouch under our desks and put our hands over our heads so that the nuclear bomb wouldn't get us.

(Even as a kid, I thought that was pretty stupid.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's stupid. But it is

That's stupid. But it is kind of weird she'd choose or even be allowed to represent Russia - has she lived in Russia? Unless she did or her parents emigrated here from there it makes no sense. Even if you go by ancestors, that would imply if I had any sort of ability I could represent Italy or Ireland (all my great-grandparents were born in the US) or taking it to it's logical conclusion anyone on Earth could represent an African country!

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:That's stupid. But it

Quote:
That's stupid. But it is kind of weird she'd choose or even be allowed to represent Russia - has she lived in Russia? Unless she did or her parents emigrated here from there it makes no sense. Even if you go by ancestors, that would imply if I had any sort of ability I could represent Italy or Ireland (all my great-grandparents were born in the US) or taking it to it's logical conclusion anyone on Earth could represent an African country!

Yeah.  I'm puzzled by that, too.  I kind of thought you had to be a citizen to be on a country's Olympic team.  Why make it country against country if it's not?  I seem to remember some American sports stars playing on other teams, but it was always their home country.  Basketball comes to mind, and I know for sure that baseball has had that happen.  Lots of American players play on the Dominican team or the Puerto Rican team, etc...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Exactly - I do remember

Exactly - I do remember reading a few years ago Greece was going to let citizens of other countries that had at least one Greek born grandparent represent Greece - due to population dropping. I think they should have to be citizens. I also don't think Puerto Rico should HAVE a team - Puerto Rico is part of the US so they should play on the US team.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pyrokidd
Superfan
pyrokidd's picture
User is offlineOffline
According to the video she

According to the video she is a Russian citizen because she plays for a team in Moscow in our off-season

"We are the star things harvesting the star energy"
-Carl Sagan

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
She's a religious nut. In

She's a religious nut. In her journal she writes, "I know that God has guided my footsteps from day one, and this situation is no different." and she's wearing a cross in the interview.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rosvarga wrote:What puzzles

Rosvarga wrote:
What puzzles me is the irrational fear/hate many people have of Russia.

Yeah. Especially the "traitor" bit, from the country who wouldn't pay her to play, and basically demanded that the olympics be opened up to professional athletes. Remember the Dream Team?

So now the Russians pay her, she's a citizen, and I'm certain they exaggerated when they said she can't speak Russian. C'mon, even if she were a total idiot, she'd still pick some up while she was there.

The one thing that piece did beautifully is illustrate the classic American double standard: the free market is AWESOME ... until it's not working for us, then we get pissy and find you on a map. Duck and cover, bitches!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia, it doesn't surprise me

aiia, it doesn't surprise me that she's also religious.  My beef is that her religiosity has nothing to do with playing for Russia.  This is  a sports story, and yet, just from that opening statement, it has become another subtle insinuation of "Christian = Good = America."

Will, I've noticed that the American teams don't mind paying the price of a small Caribbean island to bring a Japanese pitcher to America to play baseball professionally, and you're right -- we were the ones bitching to let our pros play.  This seems like turnabout and fair play to me.

Books about atheism

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Maybe it's

Hambydammit wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like the whole thing about her being raised in the midwest (bread basket of America!) and instilled with Christian values (not like those atheist Russians!) was a not-so-subtle attempt to cash in on the old anti-Soviet emotions. 

Given that much of the midwest is under about 20 feet of water at the moment, I say it's a fat lot of good her god-belief does anyone. The Russians can have her. One less U.S. athlete to listen to talking about their god-given abilities.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
[cheesy soviet accent]In

[cheesy soviet accent]

In Soviet Russia, basketball slam-dunks YOU!

[/cheesy soviet accent]

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Russia is one of the most

Russia is one of the most christian religious countries on Earth. Anyway who who its some sort of atheist haven of darkness really hasnt been there.

I've travelled to a large number  religious places throughout the world (as a tourist admirer of architecture etc  not as a worshipper) and Russia is the only place I've been verbally abused for not crossing myself and other doing other weird rituals that death cultists do).

Christianity is 'cool' in Russia especially among the young, its churches are over flowing in fact its an extremely good case for becoming a total theocracy even more than the US. It's nationalism and christianity go hand in hand. Also unlike the US it genuinely is under attack from Muslim countries/organisations so you can imagine what they think of them

Through Russia has always been religious even during communism, if priests didnt speak out against the government they were generally left alone

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Vodka is near the bottom of

Vodka is near the bottom of my list. Glad we/they have it tho.

Yeah I AM old enough to remember the "Red" hangover propaganda of the war lovers, from both dangerous sides. 

Sue the FCC, Sue GOD of Abraham ..... SUE the Central Bank ..... Convict Bush and his and put them under house arrest for life ....

I HATE !

I LOVE !

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Russia is one of the

Quote:
Russia is one of the most christian religious countries on Earth. Anyway who who its some sort of atheist haven of darkness really hasnt been there.

Yep.  That was kind of what I was alluding to earlier when I was talking about the hangover from the Cold War.  After the dismantling of the Soviet Union, not only did the Russian Orthodox community come out of hiding, but Christian missionaries from America and elsewhere descended on Russia like so many righteous locusts.

Books about atheism