If you could....

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If you could....

This is another totally hypothetical question. If you could somehow "magically" cause any 3 religions to disappear from the Earth forever (ie anyone believing it would either pick another one or be atheist - no new ones created and nobody killed) which would you pick?

My choices:

1. Islam

2. Christianity

3. Scientology

Basically because it seems these 3 do the most harm and try the most to convert others  I know there MAY be cults more harmful, but they have so few members that eliminating them would only benefit the members (who may go to another cult anyway) and would have no effect on the world as a whole.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
before i answer i need 1

before i answer i need 1 thing cleared up

When i choose this ''religion'' is it prevented from EVER existing/coming to... or is it just a dead stop wake up call?

What Would Kharn Do?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I didn't think of that. If I

I didn't think of that. If I had to pick I'd say that somehow instantly is regarded as the myth it is by everyone - with maybe only a few wacky sorts believing in it - like modern people believing in the Egyptian gods or someone who actually believes the Gospel of the FSM to be true.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Matt, I'm going to one-up

Matt, I'm going to one-up you.  Since both Christianity and Islam were the result of Judaism existing, my first choice is Judaism.  That kills three religions in one, and I still have two choices left.

Second is hinduism and third is buddhism.  By choosing those three religions, I've just eliminated 80% of the world's religion or so.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's kind of cheating - as

That's kind of cheating - as I was thinking you could only eliminate the religion you chose - not one's that branched from it - otherwise I'd research to find what Judaism developed from and eliminate all 3 and possibly others. Picking an early Asian religion could eliminate Buddhism and Hinduism - maybe picking some of the 1960's spirituality nonsense would eliminate a lot of cults.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Following in Hamby's wake: 

Following in Hamby's wake:  Theist religion.  Polytheist religion.  Panentheist religion.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
these answers are precisely

these answers are precisely why i asked my questions...

If you eliminate something in the past, all future branches will cease to be, as well.

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fair enough, Matt.  Playing

Fair enough, Matt.  Playing by those rules, I'll take Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.  I realize that I'm not actually eliminating much by taking Judaism out, but by taking those three out of the world, I'd be eliminating virtually all of the patriarchal sadistic monotheist religions, leaving more philosophically gentle religions like Buddhism, which is a damn sight better, and hinduism, which really likes good sex.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Main reason I left Judaism

Main reason I left Judaism out is they don't try to convert (indeed, they don't want new members) and also how many "Jews" are really atheists. But Christianity and Islam are truy the worst - if I had to choose 2 it would be them.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Playing by Matt's rules...1.

Playing by Matt's rules...

1. Islam

2. Christianity

3. (Ugh. This is so tough...) ...Scientology.

Islam, as the most barbaric and non-progressive, needs to be gone yesterday. Christianity comes as a close second, and I'm a tad biased against it because it surrounds me.

The last one was a toughie. Judaism needs to go, so does Catholicism... but Scientology is this new breed of monster that needs to be stomped out before it grows even larger. Islam sends people to their deaths strapped to bombs, Christianity warps people into supremist, racist and mysogynistic mindsets... Scientology rapes people of EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR THEY HAVE. They're also smart and progressive enough to have a vicious legal team, and operate under guidelines that are as malicious as they are illegal.

The worst part is they know who to target. Celebrities and high-level officials. It makes me shudder.

I don't have a problem with the science fiction narrative. I think the Xenu story is entertaining and well-written. It's the actual doctrines that I find so appalling.

You drive a hard bargain, Matt. Sticking out tongue Only eliminating 3 of those bad boys still leaves at least two of them out there that I think are disgusting and dangerous.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Playing

Kevin R Brown wrote:

1. Islam

2. Christianity

As with many others, those three would be mine too.

MattShizzle wrote:
Main reason I left Judaism out is they don't try to convert (indeed, they don't want new members) and also how many "Jews" are really atheists.

That's because "Jew" can refer to both a religion and a race.  Despite what the media recently will tell you, they are the only ones who have a religion and a race that share the same name.  "Muslim" is not a fskcen race, it is ONLY a religion.  I sometimes wish I could reach through my computer screen and strangle the journalists/editors who say it is (not that I condone violence in any way shape or form ... this threat is a completely empty one used purely for the sake of expressing my levels of frustration).

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Islam,

Kevin R Brown wrote:
Islam, as the most barbaric and non-progressive, needs to be gone yesterday.
I'm curious, on what do you base this statement? Sure, there are nutty islamists, but they are a loud minority.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
When it comes to Suicide

When it comes to Suicide Bombers, people overlook the first organization that perfected Suicide Bombing.

That organisation is the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam), which is a secular organisation.

In 1987 they created a special suicide commando unit called the Black Tigers. They are considered to be one of the most lethal and effective suicide groups in the world. More than 330 Black Tigers have died in various actions on land and sea, almost all in Sri Lanka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTTE_Black_Tiger

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok - let's eliminate Sri

Ok - let's eliminate Sri Lankans as well. By Kevin's logic SriLankan is evil.

I see no religion in itself as better or worse than another so I'll pass on cherry-picking in that field. What is needed, as long as we are doing magic disappearing acts here, is the global elimination of stupidity.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Playing

Kevin R Brown wrote:

1. Islam

2. Christianity

Islam, as the most barbaric and non-progressive, needs to be gone yesterday. Christianity comes as a close second, and I'm a tad biased against it because it surrounds me.

The last one was a toughie. Judaism needs to go, so does Catholicism...

Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, so you would be eliminating it by eliminating CHristianity.