Louisiana Is Trying To Pass Intellgent Design in Public Schools

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline
Louisiana Is Trying To Pass Intellgent Design in Public Schools

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl061008tpcreationism.1d7302b5.html

Sorry Ive never been on here for ages, Im normally on FTT(Sorry I didnt know how to link it). My girlfriend brought this to my attention. Louisiana, my state, wants to teach ID in schools.  And tomorrow they are going to vote. But maybe if every one votes and leaves a comment on the site it might get the attention of the state, so if it is passed it'll become another Dover trial.

Kerry Cahill

SuperEditior FTT

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Contact the FSM people as

Contact the FSM people as well, they have a good record with combatting this sort of crap.

http://www.venganza.org/

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Teach ALL comparitive

Teach ALL comparitive religion ETC to our kids, they will see, trust them , teach them everything, don't brain wash them, don't spare the kids of any ideas .....

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Teach

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Teach ALL comparitive religion ETC to our kids, they will see, trust them , teach them everything, don't brain wash them, don't spare the kids of any ideas .....

The only reason that's difficult is that we have limited time. It would be great to teach them everything, but there are only a few years available to hopefully teach them something, so including the ridiculously false and fraudulent things would use time that could otherwise be spent teaching them things that are true.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Will, thing is religion is

Will, thing is,  religion is every where , so teach the kids what religion is, as human time is indeed limited .....

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe iGod is right. If

Maybe iGod is right. If there are going to be religious studies, make it a brief intro into all of the religions. Maybe this will help the kids see that it is all the same shit. Will never happen though...

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog , WillYeah,

ronin-dog  ,  Will

Yeah, I can't think of many things as important to teach young kids. What is religion??? Also on the important list is basic ethics and logic. This would entail what prejudice and cultural patriotism are. Add Money and management too, with a "can do" positive message that everyone can be basically successful and comfortable. Add 'community spirit', and the message of being a "world citizen, one earth, one human race". 

))))    ronin-dog, "Will never happen though..." 

OUCH, That hurts man ....       "A Higher Love" !!!     * ONE *

Hey, we can and will do what we really want and think we can have. "Wake" the neighbors up. LOUDER !
    Listen to the music, watch the people, and write wise poetry, sitting under a tree; thinking revolution....love....and pass it on. ~ igod

Atheist Jesus/Buddha said the SWORD of debate ......                                                            Kill Dogma Brainwash

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It happened in my school. 

It happened in my school.  It is was the major influencing factor in my escape from theism.  The teachings of other religions came in religion class, from a jesuit priest, in a roman catholic private school.

Well, it wasn't all other religions that got me.  I switched off for those.  It was just the foray in to the abrahamic religions that got to me.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I can see comparative

I can see comparative religion being taught as a general history course to highschool students, since (as you said, iGod) religion is everywhere, so it should be a part of a general education. A school's curriculum depends more on local cultural bias and political infighting than anything else, though.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:Will,

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Will, thing is,  religion is every where , so teach the kids what religion is, as human time is indeed limited .....

This is a BAD idea because the Christians who want this are NOT interested in "all". They throw ID in as a backdoor to get government to "wink" at the Christian god. It is a subversive form of favortism and is nothing but a Christian power grab. These same people rightfully bitch when others do religious things in school but hypocritically wont apply the same logic to their own disires.

RELIGION has no place in science classes, not Islam, not Christianity, not Hinduism, not scientology. ID is nothing more than political propaganda to slip the bible into government schools.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37. I am saying call

Brian37. I am saying call their xian bluff and teach EVERYTHING about religion, and trust the kids. Atheism included. School indeed needs super improving. Everything , meaning the basics about all religion, would be extremely helpful to educating the young kids.

Yeah I realize the xains are running the show, so lets say yeah to ID in schools as long as OUR counter argument is INCLUDED.  I trust the kids will laugh at ID, and even dig Buddha ! The Jesus of the Buddhists !  That alone makes a joke of xainity.

Accept this bible RELIGION in schools challenge publicly, Rationally, LOUDLY, with the message of  "AND all OTHER IDEAS" equally..... That "equal" message will catch on.

Hell beans, I can teach an Atheist Jesus, it's called Atheist ZEN Buddhism.

Books and films need to be created for the kids in a balanced religion, and ethics teaching  curricula  .......  and that's our huge problem  ...... gifted teachers and balanced educational material .....

Sorry, I am Rummed out right now , 4 a.m. , and the band is still here ...... LOL

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
Voting

And how does a popularity vote make this legal?  If all the students voted to allow smoking of regular cigarettes in the school, that is still not legal.  Popular vote is not legal, it is just the majority.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
For a state that got its ass

For a state that got its ass handed to it by a hurricane, you'd think maybe they would spend some time teaching, oh, maybe structural engineering, waterway management...but no. They'll just pray harder next time. God created everything? Well, God fucked up when he created hurricanes, because they kill the Christian folk just as well as they kill the heathens.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say give them what they

I say give them what they want. Teach every single creation story.There must be a few thousand.They'd have to extend school weeks,school day times, and cut back on holidays to fit it all in, but it's all in the interest of equality. They're right. You can't just teach one 'theory' Teach them all, and see how much they want it then.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.