God's Love for Women

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
God's Love for Women

Any theists care to explain this?  Sure sounds like God told the Israelites to poison women as a way to determine fidelity.  Seems like God would have known that this kind of thing doesn't work.  I guess that was before God discovered chemistry...

Quote:

11 Then the LORD said to Moses, 12 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'If a man's wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him 13 by sleeping with another man, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act), 14 and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure- 15 then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah [a] of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder offering to draw attention to guilt.

16 " 'The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the LORD. 17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water. 18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the LORD, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse. 19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, "If no other man has slept with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. 20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have defiled yourself by sleeping with a man other than your husband"- 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse of the oath-"may the LORD cause your people to curse and denounce you when he causes your thigh to waste away and your abdomen to swell. [b] 22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells and your thigh wastes away. [c] "
      " 'Then the woman is to say, "Amen. So be it."

23 " 'The priest is to write these curses on a scroll and then wash them off into the bitter water. 24 He shall have the woman drink the bitter water that brings a curse, and this water will enter her and cause bitter suffering. 25 The priest is to take from her hands the grain offering for jealousy, wave it before the LORD and bring it to the altar. 26 The priest is then to take a handful of the grain offering as a memorial offering and burn it on the altar; after that, he is to have the woman drink the water. 27 If she has defiled herself and been unfaithful to her husband, then when she is made to drink the water that brings a curse, it will go into her and cause bitter suffering; her abdomen will swell and her thigh waste away, [d] and she will become accursed among her people. 28 If, however, the woman has not defiled herself and is free from impurity, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children.

29 " 'This, then, is the law of jealousy when a woman goes astray and defiles herself while married to her husband, 30 or when feelings of jealousy come over a man because he suspects his wife. The priest is to have her stand before the LORD and is to apply this entire law to her. 31 The husband will be innocent of any wrongdoing, but the woman will bear the consequences of her sin.' "

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

General-Forrest
General-Forrest's picture
User is offlineOffline
can i add to the question with another verse?

the verse is 1 timothy 2:15

15But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in (A)faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

sounds like belief only way for woman but maybe god thought the man need children huh??? or what the fuck does this verse me along with Hambydammit verses his old testement mine in new testement!!!

General

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is nothing wrong with

There is nothing wrong with this verse in the right context. Obviously,woman is inferior to man.Only a fool would deny this,as man was created first,in god's image.

Secondly, mankind is subject to god.If he wills to harm or kill you,that is his right as creator. God takes the matter of marriage and fidelity very seriously,as we all should. I don't think it's too much too ask that your wife be good.

I don't see the problem with this verse.It clearly says they will only be punished if they are guilty.And god will know if they are, there's no chance of a false verdict. So it's a completely fool proof and safe way of determining fidelty. If they are guilty,they deserve their punishment as god's word clearly forbade it.

This is just one more example of god's perfection and absolute moral right.

/fundy hat.Don't flame me Eye-wink

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I don't see the

Quote:
I don't see the problem with this verse.It clearly says they will only be punished if they are guilty.And god will know if they are, there's no chance of a false verdict. So it's a completely fool proof and safe way of determining fidelty. If they are guilty,they deserve their punishment as god's word clearly forbade it.

It does raise an interesting question... since primitive tribes have been using tests like this for thousands of years, and ascribing the results to other gods, how do we know that this primitive tribe's god was the correct one?

[/You put the fundy hat on.  Now WEAR IT!]

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:It does

Hambydammit wrote:

It does raise an interesting question... since primitive tribes have been using tests like this for thousands of years, and ascribing the results to other gods, how do we know that this primitive tribe's god was the correct one?

These false gods were placed by satan to fool them.Obviously their tests would not be as accurate as ones performed to god.Satan was probably influencing them to actually commit adultery more. Anyway,the fact that these tribes did this is jut proof of god, as they had a hole in their hearts only he could fill, so they tried to fill it with other gods.They knew adultery was wrong because even without god he is the only place we get morals and his existence is proven in the very creation around you so they actually knew god existed.Maybe they just didn't want to credit him directly because they were proud or rebellious.Just like atheists.I think no one can escape the fact god exists,and deep down they know which ones the right one.It is only their own sin and that of satan who decieves(and is allowed to through their sin) that they serve other gods.

I'm tired of playing theist.Can I come in again?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

General-Forrest
User is offlineOffline
but i thought there was only way to heaven

but this one says that they have to be child-bearing so what happens if the woman can't have a baby???? but who knows maybe i misread and there is only one way if i am wrong then i am sorry!

General

Aqua_Seal
User is offlineOffline
What the priest in question probably looked like

ROTF

Sorry if I derailed the thread, but the practices of the ancient goofballs who thought this curse stuff up make less sense than anything this guy would do.  At least the troll can turn people into frogs.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
But how can we be worthy of

But how can we be worthy of children if we are not worthy before God?

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:But how

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

But how can we be worthy of children if we are not worthy before God?

lol, You're kidding right?  God is the almighty, but children are just rock carving tools, (Psalms 137:9) or food! (Deuteronomy 28:53 - 57)  Boil em, mash em, put them in a stew...

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible wrote:may the LORD

Bible wrote:
may the LORD cause your people to curse and denounce you when he causes your thigh to waste away and your abdomen to swell. [b] 22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells and your thigh wastes away. [c] "

The only thing I find interesting about this passage is that it shows the knowledge that they probably received from the Egyptians: that there were parasites in the soil. The swelling abdomen and thigh wasting away sounds like symptoms from worms you could find in African soil, and the infection rate would be at least as low as Russian Roulette ( http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16455788 ).

I guess that way, some women would be unaffected and others would get sick, and people could pretend that it had something to do with their infidelity. Weird.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The problem here is if you

The problem here is if you ain't god you are indeed fucked ......

can I get a witness ?

I don't need one ....

I am god, just as I told ya already,

as Jesus / Buddha did too .....

all is GOD, all is equal

ME, GOD

YOU ARE GOD

ALL RELIGION IS CLEVER SEPARATION BULL SHIT

hey , what ain't  g o d  ????

okay , next question  

General-Forrest
User is offlineOffline
egyptians you say

HisWillness wrote:

Bible wrote:
may the LORD cause your people to curse and denounce you when he causes your thigh to waste away and your abdomen to swell. [b] 22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells and your thigh wastes away. [c] "

The only thing I find interesting about this passage is that it shows the knowledge that they probably received from the Egyptians: that there were parasites in the soil. The swelling abdomen and thigh wasting away sounds like symptoms from worms you could find in African soil, and the infection rate would be at least as low as Russian Roulette ( http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16455788 ).

I guess that way, some women would be unaffected and others would get sick, and people could pretend that it had something to do with their infidelity. Weird.

i thought they were slaves lmao and the pharohs had them do work and they were not able to study anything. haha i think they were workers but doing ok then poof here come our friend religion(devil) and they could not resit its fear so they went along and didn't argue about using egyptian culture gods as their own.

General

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
General-Forrest wrote:i

General-Forrest wrote:

i thought they were slaves lmao and the pharohs had them do work and they were not able to study anything. haha i think they were workers but doing ok then poof here come our friend religion(devil) and they could not resit its fear so they went along and didn't argue about using egyptian culture gods as their own.

General

There's actually a school of thought that they were highly-paid wandering mercenary tribes who, when no longer needed, got told to do non-military labor and didn't like it, so decided to leave. The whole bit about them going forth 'boldly' and provisioning themselves from the generosity of the Egyptians as they began their Exodus doesn't square w/Pharaoh coming after them in force... but it does if that "bold" departure and provisioning is a euphemism for 'Being mercenaries who hadn't been truly nomadic for a half-dozen generations, and lacking supplies for the journey, Moses had them sack a town on the way out.'

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
General-Forrest

General-Forrest wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Bible wrote:

General

Please read: http://www.rationalresponders.com/ancient_israel

There was no exodus.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Bible

HisWillness wrote:

Bible wrote:

Yeah. I also imagine it was an excellent means of intimidation and assasination (similar to the Salem Witch Trials). Have a woman who dares challenge you politically in some way? Doubt her fidelity, and pay-off the priest to poison the water.

She died? Oops. God musta dunnit.

Damned sinner.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hey girls kill all the

Hey girls, kill all the men and deep freeze the sperm ! peace at last !?!? 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:  Hey girls, kill all

Quote:

I have the strange feeling that at least half the world's population would strongly disagree with that, myself among them. You, presumably, also being of the male gender, would also presumably feel some disdain towards such a policy.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

General-Forrest
User is offlineOffline
opps God told me to hit it 1 more time!

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

come on i disagree out of self preservation. but i dont agree with men have all the rights and women none because that goes back to Superior vs Inferior which is human nature. So i say this we all equal treat someone the exact same way you want to be treated!

we can have peace stop letting differences get in the way and start to understand everyone human.

General

draggycat
draggycat's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:  Hey

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

alas, i'm afraid the peace would only last as long as the limited sperm supply.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Okay, I've heard your

Okay, I've heard your prayers, I've changed my mind,  igod