The COMPLETE works of Charles Darwin online, Enjoy.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
Posts: 1390
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
The COMPLETE works of Charles Darwin online, Enjoy.

Letters, books, papers, manuscripts, private papers and illustrations.

The ultimate Darwin library at your fingertips!

http://darwin-online.org.uk/

Please view and support them if you can.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Wow. Wow. Extra

Wow.

 

Wow.

 

Extra wow.

 

Awesome.

 

Badass.

 

Did I say... wow?

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Conky
Posts: 1
Joined: 2009-01-13
User is offlineOffline
The origion of species 2nd

The origion of species 2nd edition.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." P-490

So it's okay for Darwin to mention a God, or a Creator? Doesn't that throw off the whole theory of evolution?

And, there's Michael Cremo, who found a coin in an Illinois well that could be between 200,000 to 400,000 years old. He has a book called
Forbidden Archeology.
Mr Cremo has had a first hand experience with other scientists who want to keep the finds a secret. Only because the most recent finds prove the evolution theory to be false.

Don't get me wrong... I understand how people dislike the theory of God, or black holes or whatever. But ignoring the facts just sux. Doesn't it?

 

 

 

 


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Conky wrote:The origion of

Conky wrote:

The origion of species 2nd edition.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." P-490

So it's okay for Darwin to mention a God, or a Creator? Doesn't that throw off the whole theory of evolution?

And, there's Michael Cremo, who found a coin in an Illinois well that could be between 200,000 to 400,000 years old. He has a book called
Forbidden Archeology.
Mr Cremo has had a first hand experience with other scientists who want to keep the finds a secret. Only because the most recent finds prove the evolution theory to be false.

Don't get me wrong... I understand how people dislike the theory of God, or black holes or whatever. But ignoring the facts just sux. Doesn't it?

 

 

 

 

Who said the Creator had to be God? It could have just been an anthropomorphism of nature.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Conky wrote:The origion of

Conky wrote:

The origion of species 2nd edition.

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." P-490

So it's okay for Darwin to mention a God, or a Creator? Doesn't that throw off the whole theory of evolution?

 

No, not really.  After all, he was studying to be an Anglical Priest and he only took the voyage on the HMS Beagle because he wanted to take some time off from school after graduating.  In fact, if you look a bit deeper, he thought that evolution was itself an argument for intelligent design.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Doesn't that throw off

Quote:

Doesn't that throw off the whole theory of evolution?

No, that's ridiculous. I suspect you don't actually know what evolution is. Articulate for me your understanding of the subject (that is, what do you understand by the term "evolution", and I will see if you actually know what you are talking about).

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


Thomathy
SuperfanBronze Member
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
Conky wrote:And,

Conky wrote:
And, there's

Michael Cremo, who found a coin in an Illinois well that could be between 200,000 to 400,000 years old. He has a book called

Forbidden Archeology. Mr Cremo has had a first hand experience with other scientists who want to keep the finds a secret. Only because the most recent finds prove the evolution theory to be false.

Don't get me wrong... I understand how people dislike the theory of God, or black holes or whatever. But ignoring the facts just sux. Doesn't it?

Fucking priceless.  Do a google search on the guy!  Do it!  It's fun!  You'll laugh, I promise!  Oh, yes, ignoring the facts just 'sux' (sic).  If only there were any facts to ignore, or if any of his evidence actually even existed.  Or if he wasn't essentially a Hindu creationist who cleary has a warped understanding and criticism of the scientific method, and a facination for poor research conducted more than 100 years ago.  Oh, yes, ignoring the facts just 'sux' (sic).  Makes me wonder what Michael Cremo does?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."


Jamie A. (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
i have a question

how does Charles Darwin's comment at the end of The Origin of Species, reflect on the current debate surrounding intelligent design and evolution. I agree with you, I would just like to know your point of view. You can email me at bballgirll3379@yahoo.com. thank you, jamie

 


Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
Posts: 269
Joined: 2008-12-24
User is offlineOffline
We don't believe evolution

We don't believe evolution because it came from Darwin, we believe it because it's backed by the evidence.  Pointing out that Darwin also said "blah blah blah" won't convince us of blah blah blah.

 

Why are so many theists unable to grasp this simple concept?

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Bookmarked for gentle

Bookmarked for gentle reading at a later date.

I'm going to ignore the ----- misguided one.