RE: Anti-Intellectualism is Not Biblical.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE: Anti-Intellectualism is Not Biblical.

First, watch the video.

I think this makes a lot of good points regarding the idea of faith. First that one must know what it is their are having faith in, second that one has to accept that what they know is true, and third that one must decide that any opposing facts are false (defiance).

However, the act of defiance toward apparent truth is precisely anti-intellectual and betrays the title of the video.

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(discuss)

(discuss)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. Those guys are

Wow. Those guys are fucked-up, not simply advocating blind faith, but acceptance of fallacy and mutually exclusive notions.

I suppose it's technically good for atheism as a movement, given it provides a target we can point a finger at and go, 'See? Fucking CRAZY!', but I can't stand hearing that sort of bile pour so blissfully from someone's mouth.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Video notes: "Of the most

Video says: "Of the most high" ! ??? .... blah blah ....

Discuss? Okay:  I AM Christ , perfect ... I need no scripture ... Most all them that call them selves religious are my enemy to heal.

Fuck this video Satan guy. Take the truth to the scriptures and tear the bible apart. All the truth in that Xain Bible could be written in a sentence. "All is One".

"Saved" from that video devil fuck idol worshiper is "Salvation" .... I AM GOD AS ALL IS GOD.

The devil of wrong thinking has spoken in that video .....

Thanks Inspector,  for the demonstration of religious "Faith" stupidity of separation and idol worship  .....

Heal that superstitious idiot retard, and his types  .... (damn lame music too) .....

(( Was that actually an atheist joke parody on religion video ???  Me is running slow on RUM again!     

[ edited, following afternoon, for LosingStreak below ] 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
That made almost no sense to

That made almost no sense to me at all.

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
It’s a conflation of

It’s a conflation of termed
He speaks of awareness of the existence of something (ok can be a fictional book I know superman because I red the comics) , then understanding (I understand superman cant be harmed ) and then accepting (this one is bizarre can you accept the existence of superman and know that he will come and save you in need just because you read the commix ?  ).
If he can demonstrate his knowledge in a physical phenomena then OK however if he talks about knowledge like the knowledge of the powers of superman then we are debating fantasy here.

Warning I’m not a native English speaker.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=281515 DDR and game sound track download

inspectormustard
atheist
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:It’s a

carx wrote:

It’s a conflation of termed
He speaks of awareness of the existence of something (ok can be a fictional book I know superman because I red the comics) , then understanding (I understand superman cant be harmed ) and then accepting (this one is bizarre can you accept the existence of superman and know that he will come and save you in need just because you read the commix ?  ).
If he can demonstrate his knowledge in a physical phenomena then OK however if he talks about knowledge like the knowledge of the powers of superman then we are debating fantasy here.

Yup. Though they are solid points for once, and I have to give him credit for being specific even though he came to the wrong conclusion.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
But 'knowledge' is also

But 'knowledge' is also belief, just belief in something which you happen to feel is obvious, well justified and widely accepted, but obviously can still be false. I actually think using the word is not advisable in many serious arguments, because it implicitly begs the question of the truth of what is said to be 'known'.

There is a valid point about people considering themselves strong Christian believers without really being at all familiar with the content of the Christian dogma or the bible.

However I disagree that that is quite as universal among Christians as they kept asserting, and that the old books were much more worthwhile than any of the modern books. Too many sweeping categorical assertions like that.

One of many other questionable assertions I picked up on was 'doing more than is necessary is unwise' - not necessarily so. There is much more to life than just doing what is 'necessary'.

It was full of such pure unjustified assertions that I found highly questionable.

I hear strong echoes of Dan Dennett's comment about religious people 'believing in belief', ie they first must strongly believe that it is important to believe in the tenet's of the faith, even if they currently can't quite get themselves to that level of belief.

Also there is nothing wrong about not accepting everything in any document or doctrine, as long as you can present cogent reasons for your selectivity. I hear a hint of the justification that if they can establish that any part of the Bible is true, then we should accept it all.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology