Why is atheism rational?

destinyawaits
User is offlineOffline
Why is atheism rational?

I'm new here and it's a bit difficult to know where to start. So I've started a new thread. Would someone please explain how the belief that we are finite physical beings is rational and how the belief that we are not is irrational. I don't belong to any church or group, I had a Godless upbringing,  but I do believe there is more to life than a brief physical existence. Science can demonstrate various cause and effect relationships and obviously this is very useful if you want to build an engine or cure a disease but as for spiritual matters all science can say is "no evidence". And of course their is no scientific evidence because science is concerned exclusively with material relationships. Subjective experience is beyond science. We cannot prove that someone has heard the same piece of music as another person or that two people have have seen the same image or colour. Much of what we think we know is assumption, habit, convention, laziness etc. Why should  "freethinking" be restricted to the belief that we are physical beings with a  restricted lifespan. This is a belief, a dogma like any other. It's a restriction on the imagination and very narrow filter for experience.     

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's actually another reason that omnipotence is a broken concept - since a square circle is not possible by any means (unless you mean like a geeky looking circle or a group of nerdy friends) there is no way for there to be an "ability to do anything" nor could 1 + 1 by any possibility equal 17. Of course I can also see the idea of limiting omnipotence to "able to do anything that doesn't violate the laws of logic"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team