Marine busted for prostelyzing

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marine busted for prostelyzing

Onward, Christian Soldiers...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/29/iraq.bible/index.html

It seem a young marine was handing out coins with Christian messages on them at checkpoints in Falluja...

A tad tacky, m'thinks...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tacky, yes - and also in

Tacky, yes - and also in violation of US policy for soldiers on duty.

That said, the predictable Islamic hollering that ensued makes your typical evangelist shenanigans look downright dignified.

Boards don't hit back. (Bruce Lee)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Damn Paulines .... if we

Damn Paulines .... if we could blame some ONE?, fuck wild dangerous bible Paul .... Hey and all the rest of them .... with the exception of maybe bible James .... a few short paragraphs , I will read it again, no not nay, for what? ..... The Twilight Zone script is more interesting .....  My uncle was Flash Gordon ....    so what .... super man had more power .... Rod Serling was a prophet too ! .....  I AM GOD as YOU , and a prophet too,  just as YOU .... ?  All is ONE, what is NOT god ?????  damn religions , of we ..... Go SCIENCE .... and ever better RUM    

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Song starts at 1 min 37

Song starts at 1 min 37 seconds, best sound I could find on Youtube

Motley Crue - Helter Skelter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBMMCClIgTc

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
John Wayne quotes,  a bit

John Wayne quotes,  a bit like our great friend Mark Twain ....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=John+Wayne+quotes&btnG=Google+Search

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Any one who is an idol

Any one who is an idol worshiper is an idiot, and my enemy to heal .....

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion is a mental

Religion is a mental illness. I seriously think we need to find a cure. At the same time, a cure for dyslexia and dyspraxia would be nice.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It amazes me how people can

It amazes me how people can say that the U.S promotes Christianity too much and yet people like this still get charged.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:It

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

It amazes me how people can say that the U.S promotes Christianity too much and yet people like this still get charged.

Perhaps in a country that continues to experience unceasing warfare between warring Islamic factions, the introduction of yet another competing Abrahamic religion might have the opposite of a calming effect ?   Maybe I'm just naive ?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Perhaps in a country that continues to experience unceasing warfare between warring Islamic factions, the introduction of yet another competing Abrahamic religion might have the opposite of a calming effect ?   Maybe I'm just naive ? 

The situation in  Iraq wasn't what I was talking about.

And why do you have the Columbine shooters in your avatar?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:And why

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Because he's morbid.  His avatars focus on death and the such.  A massacre fits his morbid mentality.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Watcher wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Because he's morbid.  His avatars focus on death and the such.  A massacre fits his morbid mentality.

And that's something you totally shouldn't see psychologist for.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:And

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I guess you aren't familiar with ProzacDeathWish.

It goes beyond mental.  More like genetic.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish , definitely

ProzacDeathWish , definitely a fun comedian. I like radicals! Go PDW .... don't punish, heal the religious crazies.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Watcher wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Themes of death are one thing. Video stills from an actual mass murder of children are something else.

You're a moderator? Do something about this. Seriously.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
BrainFromArous wrote:You're

BrainFromArous wrote:

You're a moderator? Do something about this. Seriously.

I don't think freedom of speech requires tastefulnesss. Take it or leave it.

Back to the Marine, he's lucky he didn't get himself and the rest of his squad killed handing out those things.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:I don't think

geirj wrote:

I don't think freedom of speech requires tastefulnesss. Take it or leave it.

Neither do I. But since the RRS forums are private property and not the Public Square or part of the government, standards of behavior can be established and enforced. And my objection in this case goes well beyond matters if "taste" into the realm of ethics

But enough on that. Consider it "left."

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Show the TRUTH. Sweeping the

Show the TRUTH. Sweeping the ugly under the rug is a mistake. EXPOSE it , every dead mutilated soul of war and hate ..... AND NEVER FORGET the horrid sights .....

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BrainFromArous wrote:And my

BrainFromArous wrote:

And my objection in this case goes well beyond matters if "taste" into the realm of ethics

Ethics ....like matters of "taste" .... are subjective and personal.   

Nevertheless, your right to not be offended is an issue of such great importance to you that I will voluntarily replace my avatar with the most benign and inoffensive image that I can find.

In the future I will make every effort to conform to your artistic / ethical preferences. 

Please forgive me for thoughtlessly using my own standards regarding  choices for avatars.  It was  foolish of me to deviate from the established norm.   Again, accept my apologies for causing you such distress.

Sincerely PDW

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Watcher

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Watcher wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

And how many Christians use a crucifix in their avatar?

It occurs to me that if Christ was real and had died 2000 years later, Christians would be walking around with miniature electric chairs dangling from their necks.

I'm assuming you think they should all see a shrink too.

Funny how fast the nut house fills up when you quit giving religion a free pass.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Kind caring wise Prozac, I

Kind caring wise Prozac,

I sure like that kitty, but what does it look like with half it's face blown off ?  For all the world to SEE  ..... 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Wholesome !   

Wholesome !  

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks to ImageShack for

I can haz rezzerections?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah Prozac, A picture of

Yeah Prozac,  A picture of godly Divine Religious Wisdom ....        And how many Muslims have the Xains recently murdered ?  .....  etc, back and forth ..... Can we be on the same side, why not ?   Sheezzzzzzzz  , ONE ONE ONE .....

Then smart god took the said god man Jesus to heaven  instead of having him hang out and say "see, you can't kill me" ,  ETC ETC  ......   What a dumb god people believe in  .....  NUTS they are  .... embarrassing they are .... What excuse would the religious offer the aliens  ???    God damn it ,  sheezzzzzz   people  ..... FUCK , SHIT , christ all mighty, you idiot idol worshipers ..... PLEASE THINK .....

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: Back to the

geirj wrote:

Back to the Marine, he's lucky he didn't get himself and the rest of his squad killed handing out those things.

Agreed.  If this Christian soldier doesn't have the common sense to understand that his evangelizing will most likely agitate his Muslim enemies to become even more aggressive in their attempts to kill US soldiers then he has no business being in the military. 

He should set aside his personal religious agenda and focus on what he was sent their to do...fight a war.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Nevertheless, your right to not be offended is an issue of such great importance to you that I will voluntarily replace my avatar with the most benign and inoffensive image that I can find.

My God! You changed it for a picture of Pol Pot's cat? How could you? Have you no heart, man? Where is your sense of decency?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:My God!

nigelTheBold wrote:

My God! You changed it for a picture of Pol Pot's cat? How could you? Have you no heart, man? Where is your sense of decency?

I concur.  Prozac, this time you have gone too far.  Remove the kitty or else.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five wrote:And

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

And how many Christians use a crucifix in their avatar?

It occurs to me that if Christ was real and had died 2000 years later, Christians would be walking around with miniature electric chairs dangling from their necks.

I'm assuming you think they should all see a shrink too.

Funny how fast the nut house fills up when you quit giving religion a free pass.

There's a difference between what the Christians would call 'A sacrifice' and a bunch of High Schoolers being slaughtered.

But back on topic, would you guys still be outraged if he was passing out Atheist material?

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not likely to happen....

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

There's a difference between what the Christians would call 'A sacrifice' and a bunch of High Schoolers being slaughtered.

But back on topic, would you guys still be outraged if he was passing out Atheist material?

Yes, besides, the Columbine thing REALLY happened...

Atheists on the whole tend to be rationalists, thus, I doubt if any atheist would be that stupid...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:Atheists

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Atheists on the whole tend to be rationalists, thus, I doubt if any atheist would be that stupid...

LC >;-}>

But I thought religion was causing turmoil in the Mid-East. Then wouldn't it be your moral duty to try to get as many people in Iraq to turn away from religion?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Point taken. 

I would like to emphasize that I am not responsible for either of these acts of violence and my choosing an image of either incident does not equal culpability.  Please direct your moral outrage at someone else.

If seeing a screen capture ( which was shown publically in the national media ) of Dylan and Klebold standing with their weapons causes you such acute pain then please accept my apologies. 

Nevertheless, I will from time to time choose avatars that do not reflect your preference for rainbows and unicorns.  If the staff at RRS has any problems with my choices I will of course abide by their rules.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cute...

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Louis_Cypher wrote:

LC >;-}>

But I thought religion was causing turmoil in the Mid-East. Then wouldn't it be your moral duty to try to get as many people in Iraq to turn away from religion?

As a combat medic, a soldier, my moral and ethical duty was to minimize the risks and dangers that I and my fellow soldiers had to face. Pissing off the otherwise neutral locals, or giving the enemy propaganda fodder runs contrary to this imperative.

There is such a thing as picking one's battles. When one is up to ones ass in aligators, the ideal of draining the swamp may take second place...

LC >;-}>

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Point taken. 

I would like to emphasize that I am not responsible for either of these acts of violence and my choosing an image of either incident does not equal culpability.  Please direct your moral outrage at someone else.

If seeing a screen capture ( which was shown publically in the national media ) of Dylan and Klebold standing with their weapons causes you such acute pain then please accept my apologies. 

Nevertheless, I will from time to time choose avatars that do not reflect your preference for rainbows and unicorns.  If the staff at RRS has any problems with my choices I will of course abide by their rules.

Quote me the post where I told you to remove it.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:  But

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I don't believe "converting" Muslims to atheism is the issue.   I would prefer to look at the issue from within a strictly military context.  Choices that are made should reflect what is most effective at bringing the conflict to and end.

Even as an atheist, my objection to this soldier's actions are based upon what will likely stir the pot and cause hostilities to increase.  To me it's like someone waving a red flag at a bull; their's nothing inherently wrong with red flags but to do so in front of an angry bull could bring about some very undesirable consequences.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote me the post where I told you to remove it.

I haven't the desire to engage in a flame war.  I have tried to express sympathy for your views without being a slave to them....okay ?

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Quote:It

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

What's amazing is that you can't see that even the promotion of religion (as useful as it might be) has to take a back seat to the prime objective...

Control/Stability in the region = pumping of an increasingly scarce resource (oil) = Power and control over resource & a much larger area = Power, $$ and more control over the whole planet.

Proselytizing U.S. soldiers will help achieve this objective.  Proselytizing the muslim population will not..............at THIS time.

Quote:

Baby steps my man !  With suicide bombings and insurgents blowing shit up, this ain't the time. 

Don't you worry none.  The "conquerors" are sure to replace the gods of the conquered w/ their OWN god(s) soon enough.

Control by fantasy can be as useful (or far more) than control by an RPG.

What, are you new ?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle

AmericanIdle wrote:

Quote:

Baby steps my man !  With suicide bombings and insurgents blowing shit up, this ain't the time. 

Don't you worry none.  The "conquerors" are sure to replace the gods of the conquered w/ their OWN god(s) soon enough.

What, are you new ?

Quite the contrary, if it's religion that's causing the suicide bombings, I'd say this is the perfect time.

So you close the barn door after the Horse ran away?

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reality...

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:

Quote:

What, are you new ?

Quite the contrary, if it's religion that's causing the suicide bombings, I'd say this is the perfect time.

The issue is, does one inflame an already tense situation?

You cute little allusions to our supposed 'hypocracy' aside.

Would it be wonderful to 'miraculously' remove ALL religion from the middle eastern equation, and Iraq in particular?

Yes, then all they'd have to kill each other over is "your grand-dad shot my grand dad back in 58' ", that and issues of tribal lands and oh yes... the fact that WE as invaders have killed 10's of thousands of THEM...

LC >;-}>

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:The issue

Louis_Cypher wrote:

The issue is, does one inflame an already tense situation?

Would it be wonderful to 'miraculously' remove ALL religion from the middle eastern equation, and Iraq in particular?

Yes, then all they'd have to kill each other over is "your grand-dad shot my grand dad back in 58' ", that and issues of tribal lands and oh yes... the fact that WE as invaders have killed 10's of thousands of THEM...

LC >;-}>

I never accused anyone of hyprocracy I was just pointing out what others point out about religion causing turmoil.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher wrote:You cute

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Oh and pardon me, as it has recently come to my attention that I am unable to articulate a point and must allude to it. My deepest apologies

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Last Word On This

Quote:

In the future I will make every effort to conform to your artistic / ethical preferences. 

Please forgive me for thoughtlessly using my own standards regarding  choices for avatars.  It was  foolish of me to deviate from the established norm.   Again, accept my apologies for causing you such distress.

Sincerely PDW

Oh good gravy, the 'persecuted free-thinker' defense. Spare me.

This is not a power play of "Me vs You," PDW. I don't propose the right (or ability) to tell you how to live.

I have no problem with you personally; I don't even know you.

Claiming freedom is fine. Claiming immunity from criticism is something else.

I am criticizing something you did. You chose an image of terrified, helpless, real children being murdered as a forum avatar.

There is a point to be made about there being some equivalence between such images and the Christian cross, although the semiotics here is flawed since (A) Columbine truly, certainly happened, (B) the crucifix is not necessarily a symbol of murder since actual criminals were also dispatched on them, (C) Jesus, in the story, went knowingly and voluntarily to his fate and (D) the mere image of a weapon or torture device is substantially different than the depiction of it being used.

There is another point to be made about American media, the pop-stardom of sociopaths and related matters.

To prove it's nothing personal, I will readily give you the benefit of the doubt for using the image to make such serious points in first place, as opposed to choosing it out of "necro-chic" or shock value like those dolts in Charles Manson t-shirts.

BTW, "subjective" is not a synonym for false, wrong or non-extant. Neither does it necessarily mean "anything goes."

Having conceded the subjectivity of ethics and aesthetics, your own choices lie open to criticism. As do mine. As do everyone's.

Good choice on the Dobbshead, though. May you have Slack.

PS...

Rainbows and unicorns? No.

Bouncy 80s dance-pop? Yes.

Hell, yes.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BrainFromArous wrote:Quote:

BrainFromArous wrote:

Quote:

Sincerely PDW

Oh good gravy, the 'persecuted free-thinker' defense. Spare me.

This is not a power play of "Me vs You," PDW. I don't propose the right (or ability) to tell you how to live.

I have no problem with you personally; I don't even know you.

Claiming freedom is fine. Claiming immunity from criticism is something else.

I am criticizing something you did. You chose an image of terrified, helpless, real children being murdered as a forum avatar.

There is a point to be made about there being some equivalence between such images and the Christian cross, although the semiotics here is flawed since (A) Columbine truly, certainly happened, (B) the crucifix is not necessarily a symbol of murder since actual criminals were also dispatched on them, (C) Jesus, in the story, went knowingly and voluntarily to his fate and (D) the mere image of a weapon or torture device is substantially different than the depiction of it being used.

There is another point to be made about American media, the pop-stardom of sociopaths and related matters.

To prove it's nothing personal, I will readily give you the benefit of the doubt for using the image to make such serious points in first place, as opposed to choosing it out of "necro-chic" or shock value like those dolts in Charles Manson t-shirts.

BTW, "subjective" is not a synonym for false, wrong or non-extant. Neither does it necessarily mean "anything goes."

Having conceded the subjectivity of ethics and aesthetics, your own choices lie open to criticism. As do mine. As do everyone's.

Good choice on the Dobbshead, though. May you have Slack.

PS...

Rainbows and unicorns? No.

Bouncy 80s dance-pop? Yes.

Hell, yes.

Can we please drop the whole damn avatar thing ? 

I removed the avatar even though I didn't have to, I tried to respond in a calm, measured fashion and yet I'm being patronized by you as if I were a naughty boy.

The picture has been down for hours and yet I'm still being lectured by my "critics".   

What the hell do you want from me ?

( ps, please feel free to have the last word.... I'm bailing out of this thread. )

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:What

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

What the hell do you want from me ?

I want everyone to dance. Didn't you click on the link?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: But I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No. As atheists, we understand that would be an impossible task. But it's actually far more efficient to let warring religions decimate each other. We get what we want without firing a shot.

Why Believe?

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
In a non-nuclear world, I

In a non-nuclear world, I would agree.

Alas...

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:

Quote:

What, are you new ?

Please show me your realistic outline for stamping out the zealous religious beliefs of over a billion people that includes getting them to cooperate w/ you.  Oh, and preventing all of them from declaring holy war against you.

Oh, and be sure to use stamping methods that cannot be "also" applied to the zealous religious beliefs that your own home country shamelessly proselytizes with. 

I repeat.  Are you new ?

I also found your folksy, down home, pearl of wisdom rather culture-phobic.  From hereafter, please use, "tent flap" and "camel" .....kthanks !!

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Arguing my hero is better

Arguing my hero is better than yours is a mental posion, a ugly disease called religion , dogma .... the devil of wrong thinking, mental leporcy, blindness, idol worship, separationists .... while all is simply ONE. sheezzzzzz 

.... and our mistreated Jesus wept , indeed ! Lucky Buddha said Wake Up, THINK ! ..... Muhammad of the Koran said some cool things too ....  then came Carl Sagan ! and them others ..... Is any one paying attention ???  Hummm, not hardly, mostly not .... WHY is that ????  Leadership means Sheep .....

Hey, NO MASTERS , EAT THE RICH , SUE THE POPE , No more presidents .....  

that Song by White Lion - When the Children Cry   

WHY WHY WHY WAR ? , Rich and Poor ? ? ?   

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Cpt_pineapple

geirj wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No. As atheists, we understand that would be an impossible task. But it's actually far more efficient to let warring religions decimate each other. We get what we want without firing a shot.

So let as many people die as possible as opposed to at least putting in a legitimate effort to cease tensions?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh yeah and let's not forget

Oh yeah and let's not forget about the innocent civilians that will get caught in the cross fire.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: So let

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So let as many people die as possible as opposed to at least putting in a legitimate effort to cease tensions?

The next thing you're going to say is that atheists are responsible for Middle East violence!

If you've been paying attention to the news for the last, oh, 40 years or so, you'll have noticed that there have been several legitimate efforts to cease tensions in the Middle East, including a couple by Norway, my country of origin and a largely atheist nation.

But apparently, the residents of the Middle East can't seem to get over their differences of opinion with regard to whose sky-daddy has a bigger penis.

I oversimplify, but that's essentially the gist of it. We can play the whole who's guilty by reason of inaction game all day, but at least our inaction is a result of a rational assessment of the situation. Unlike that Marine, who just thought his sky-daddy was better than theirs. 

Why Believe?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Oh yeah

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Oh yeah and let's not forget about the innocent civilians that will get caught in the cross fire.

Bingo! Just what God wants, right?

He's free to come down put a stop to it any time.

Why Believe?