The Burden of Proof (for God)

amnesiac12
amnesiac12's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Burden of Proof (for God)

Why is it on us? We're not the ones making fantastical claims that can't be proven. If I were tell you there's a leprechaun living underneath my house, is the burden of proof on you to prove that there isn't one or is it on me to prove that there is?

And as far as evolution goes we have the evidence, but apparently it's never enough. Creationists keep pointing to gaps in the fossil record despite the fact that evolution would still be proven if there wasn't a single fossil to be found. I'm sick of creationists asking for evidence, me showing it to them, them asking for more evidence, me showing it to them,  them leaving the forum, another creationist coming in and asking for evidence, and so on. It never ends. I'm sure there's other people here that have had the same experience and I say we stop wasting our time posting and re-posting evidence and ask them for their evidence.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
amnesiac12 wrote:Why is it

amnesiac12 wrote:

Why is it on us?

It isn't. Ever. Any theist that claims it is is Shifting The Burden of Proof.They are making the positive claim,they are obligated to provide the evidence.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
We do keep asking them for

We do keep asking them for their evidence. Unfortunately they seem unable to understand burden of proof.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
My stock answer to this

My stock answer to this particular stupidity:

A rational person accepts fact as evidence for something, and then attempts to deduce the something.

An irrational person accepts something as fact and only then thinks about evidence

Which are you?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Betrand Russell's teapot

Betrand Russell's teapot example explains why, or at least it should to anyone with one neuron, why the burden of proof is always on the claimant.

The nuts and bolts of it are:

"You cant disprove it, so it is true by default|" is a fallacy because if we were to literally take that position about all claims on any issue, then we would have to believe anything ever uttered in human history.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If I were tell you

Quote:
If I were tell you there's a leprechaun living underneath my house,
  If you're 3 years old and afraid to go to bed, the burden of proof that there is no leprechaun is indeed on your parents, otherwise the burden of proof is always on the positive.  If you as an atheist are carrying the burden of proof it is because the theist you are conversing with are childish.  At least that's how I see it.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?