A scarf, some coffee and a cook

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
A scarf, some coffee and a cook

So Dunkin donuts pulled an ad with Rachel Ray. Not due to the lack of impact in sales from the current TV ad campaign, but due to a scarf.

Not just any scarf but the dreaded keffiyeh!! *cue dramatic music

SO what exactly is a keffiyeh? Well, normally made of cotton, the scarf is used in arid climates to provide protection from the sun. Commonly wrapped around the head, the scarf can be used to protect from blowing sand as well. Now you might wonder 'why all the hub bub..bub?' well, the scarf can also be described as a symbol of terrorism.  The article is below, you can find the original HERE

Rachael Ray ad pulled as pundit sees terror link

Malkin claimed scarf similar to those worn by murderous Islamic extremistsRachael Ray ad pulled as pundit sees terror link A screenshot from the spot pulled by Dunkin' Donuts this weekend.MSNBC

Dunkin' Donuts pulled a television spot featuring talk show host and Food Network personality Rachael Ray this weekend after a Fox news commentator associated it with terrorists.

In the ad, Ray is wearing a scarf that Michelle Malkin said in her nationally syndicated column resembled a kiffiyeh, Middle Eastern garb that is "popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos."

Dunkin's Senior Vice President for Communications Margie Myers issued a statement saying the scarf "was selected by a stylist for the advertising shoot. Absolutely no symbolism was intended.

"However, as of this past weekend, we are no longer using the online ad because the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee."

In her column, Malkin also noted that it could appear at times that actor Colin Farrell, rapper Kanye West and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean have been photographed in similar scarves that were "distinctive hate couture."

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Terrorists also have 2

Terrorists also have 2 arms,legs,a head,...oh no!Everyone is a terrorist!

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought we were done with

I thought we were done with the "paranoid about terrorism" stage several years ago.

MSNBC wrote:

In her column, Malkin also noted that it could appear at times that actor Colin Farrell, rapper Kanye West and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean have been photographed in similar scarves that were "distinctive hate couture."

It's... a scarf. It's not even being worn on the head! I would have never made the connection. On top of that, not everybody that wears a headscarf is a terrorist either. This is just discriminatory and unnecessary.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I wonder what Malkin would

I wonder what Malkin would do if she learned that Dunkin' Donuts is owned by ... the French.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would have pulled the ad

I would have pulled the ad on the merits of style alone.

It looks like a shreded rag she found in the garbage.

lol

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:I would have

aiia wrote:

I would have pulled the ad on the merits of style alone.

It looks like a shreded rag she found in the garbage.

lol

HAHAHA well yes true... I'd never wear that thing, but some fancy stylist person picked it out, so apparently we know nothing about fashion.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
From, StuffWhitePeopleLike 

From, StuffWhitePeopleLike 

StuffWhitePeopleLike wrote:
White People’s body temperatures do not operate on logical or consistent levels, and because of this white people are often forced to wear clothing combinations that might seem strange or illogical. One popular example is the performance vest which solves the age old problem of cold chest hot arms. Another common combination is wearing shorts with a sweatshirt which helps bring about comfort when your upper body is chilly but your lower half is sweltering. But without a doubt, the one piece of clothing that helps to regulate white body temperature in all situations is the scarf.

During winter months, it’s no surprise to find white people all bundled up with scarves around their neck - it just makes sense. But even as the weather warms up and the other layers start to fall off, the scarf remains.

It is not uncommon to see a white person in jeans, a sweater and a scarf. In fact, it’s not a rare occurance to see a white person in a t-shirt, jeans, and a scarf. Thats right. A thin cotton t-shirt paired with a scarf to enable maximum temperature control in bars and places with air conditioning

But not all white people wear the scarves for temperature reasons. A well made scarf can be an essential part of a white ensemble, allowing for all-important differentiation from other white people wearing the exact same clothes as them. Thus allowing them to be picked out of the crowd for dating or mocking purposes

“I like the guy in the white American Apparel shirt with the glasses.”

“Which one? there are eight.”

“The guy with the keffiyeh.”

“Oh yeah, you’re right. He does look smarter and more political than the other guys. He’s clearly more sensitive to wind, so he’s probably more sensitive in general. You should totally date him.”

Along with making up a key part of the white wardrobe, scarves also function as a vital pillar of the white gift economy. Due to their relative ease of creation, many white people (especially women) like to knit scarves for friends and lovers. For this reason alone, if you find yourself needing a new scarf but not a long term relationship, dating a white woman might be the easiest and most cost effective solution.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
A terrorist under every bed,

A terrorist under every bed, seems to ring a bell.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Michelle Malkin is an

Michelle Malkin is an asshat. She's a right wing extremist - almost as bad as Anne Coulter.

Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

Greetings,

That has got to be one of the dumbest and most absurd things I've ever heard.  Even if she covered her face with it they shouldn't be insulted...   What pathetic bullshit.

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That Dunkin Donuts pulled

That Dunkin Donuts pulled the ad just shows how powerful the stupid are in this country. I'm starting to think it's impossible to underestimate the intelligence of the general public in the US. Of course maybe Dunkin DOnuts agrees with them since Jesus died for Dunkin Donuts -

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
The nudity option

Hey! Terrorists wear clothes!

OMG. That means I'll have to walk around nude. That's gonna suck, but at least I won't be arrested as a terrorist.

I hope y'all have strong stomachs.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hahaha! In Denmark the

Hahaha!

In Denmark the Keffieh is, and has been for 15 years, one of the most popular fashion statements among the young and leftwing (which means almost everyone under the age of 30). And it is partly because it entails a political statement: sympathy for the Palestinian cause. So many many young people in Denmark wear keffiehs all the time, and unlike Miss. Ray they even understand the political significance of it.

Now, I don't wear one, but I too sympathise with the Palestinians. Now does that mean I sympathise with terrorism? Ofcourse not! How anyone can get so up in arms over a SYMBOLIC STATEMENT, is beyond me. How about some real issues for once Michelle Malkin? Or Nill O'Reilly, or Shaun Hannity, or whatever you're all called? Goodness, self-rightious indignation really IS a drug high isn't it?

Edit: Nill O'Reilly Smiling That was a typo, but actually, I'll just leave it as is Smiling

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
HAHA funny Americans

You americans are more paranoid than a palestanian in a synagogue on the sabbath. Sheesh now your guys are seeing things that aren't there, soon it will be islamic terrorists and communists at every corner HAHAHA. being here in New Jersey right now, I have already met one of those corner preachers, fucking crazy man. Funny Americans Sticking out tongue

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Wow. I thought those

Wow. I thought those things were getting fashionable again (my dad has had one since the 80s). But to associate them with terrorism really is a bit of a stretch. I wonder who originally suggested the link between terrorism and the commercial. It seems rabidly paranoid.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Be on the lookout for these

Be on the lookout for these other terrorists. Both women are wearing headscarfs so they are clearly Muslim terrorists. The scarf women wear (not in the Donut case probably) is from an old Judaic practice of women covering their hair. Naturally moronic Christians who don't know anything about their religion (I call them fundies) assume it's strictly a Muslim thing.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah yes, the armchair

Ah yes, the armchair homeland security experts have thwarted radical Islam's most recent evil plan...having Rachel Ray blow up America.

*sigh*

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I recently heard Mike

I recently heard Mike Malloy's take on this and the one thing that stuck out for me (besides the right-wing stupidity) was something I had forgotten (not a coffee drinker anymore)

Dunkin' Donuts coffee = scalding hot panther urine

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin