Did Luke know about the letters of Paul?

WerSuchtDerFindet
WerSuchtDerFindet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did Luke know about the letters of Paul?

I hope this is the right forum for my question.

Luke/The author of Acts dedicated over 50% of his book to Paul. According to the church Luke was the companion of Paul.

Why didn't he mentioned the letters written by Paul?

1) Didn't he know about them?

2) Was he afraid of something? (he didn't mentioned the death of Paul neither)

3) The letters weren't written at this time (Paul maybe not the author?)

I know, my English sucks. Sorry about that

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, the author of Luke did

Yes, the author of Luke did know of the letters, as he was writing his Gospel, and later his Acts, against the Marcionites who were the first to collect and establish a corpus of Paul's letters, and used them to prove their brand of Christianity.  Luke's intent was to unite both Greek and Jewish Christians, while making Paul more Peter-like, and Peter more Paul-like.  Consider Galatians where Paul dislikes the Jewish Christians, particularly Peter, who feels is a hypocrite.  Luke is reconciling these accounts, and attempting to dissuade people from believing Marcion and leaving or converting to Orthodoxy.  I suggest the following books:

Richard I. Pervo, Dating Acts

Joseph B. Tyson, Marcion and Luke-Acts: A Defining Struggle

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

WerSuchtDerFindet
WerSuchtDerFindet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Rook!

That makes sense. I will buy the book. sounds interesting. Thanks Rook

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
No problem.  I suggest

No problem.  I suggest checking out the recent monograph called "Contextualizing Luke-Acts" from the SBL.  Also has some really good articles in there.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)