On Chivalry

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
On Chivalry

[RANT ON]

For starters: I'm all for equal rights for both sexes. No ands, ifs or buts.

But I do tend to be a tad chivalrous when it comes to women. I don't really know why (I was never into medieval study or anything like that). I essentially just got told a pile of (what I think is) fallacious garbage so that an ultra-feminist could lump me into the same category as wife-beating chauvinists and mysogynistic lunatics, so now I'm venting.

Perhaps I am just a sexist. You guys tell me.

Feminist Position #1: Women Don't Need to Be Protected!

Really? Because, last time I checked, women were the child-bearing member of the species, and each woman can only deliver a handful of offspring. Any man can potentially impregrnate millions of women, have a bottomless sperm vault at their disposal.

From this perspective, women clearly are clearly the most valuable of the two genders.

Feminist Position #2: Women Are Not Built Physically Weaker Than Men

I honestly don't know the data here, but statistics seem to show that this is incorrect. Could anyone be my fact-checker?

Feminist Position #3: Women Are Not More Aggressive Than Men

This is almost certainly not the case. Women are coded to be the child-bearing and child-rearing gender of the species. That's not to say that women can't act aggressively - simply than, from a genetic standpoint, they're programmed to be more gentle / nurturing (maybe 'gentle' isn't the right word...)

Feminist Position #4: Women Are Not a Prize to Be Won

See Game Theory.

Yes, they are. So are men. The whole goal for us is reproduction. You'd better believe that mates are a prize we're all seeking.

[RANT OFF]

There. That cooled my jets.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting.I expected this

Interesting.I expected this to ba about opening doors I would say I'm a little chivalarous/old fashioned. No one's every complained,they usually think I'm sweet and nice.Which interestingly did make it harder to get a girl.

Generally,I agree with your points.Is that so bad?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:[RANT

Kevin R Brown wrote:

[RANT ON]

But I do tend to be a tad chivalrous when it comes to women. I don't really know why (I was never into medieval study or anything like that). I essentially just got told a pile of (what I think is) fallacious garbage so that an ultra-feminist could lump me into the same category as wife-beating chauvinists and mysogynistic lunatics, so now I'm venting.

Really? Because, last time I checked, women were the child-bearing member of the species, and each woman can only deliver a handful of offspring. Any man can potentially impregrnate millions of women, have a bottomless sperm vault at their disposal.

From this perspective, women clearly are clearly the most valuable of the two genders.

By this as you've stated it it appears that it is not the woman's need that they be protected but the need of humanity itself that women are protected. You compliment women highly in this statement, no doubt, and the reason your compliment would get overlooked by a woman is that you are thinking women deserve to be protected but such is not accurately reflected in saying that women need to be protected.

Kevin wrote:

I honestly don't know the data here, but statistics seem to show that this is incorrect. Could anyone be my fact-checker?

Physical strength is not all that counts a substantial amount in matters of survival. It's true that women in general are endowed with less physical stature, but in counting other significant elements of human toughness such as pain threshold, flexibility, acuity and stamina, the distribution is fairly wide and even over both genders.  Generally speaking the male advantage of being physical stronger and more invulnerable at the extremities is most significant, but it can be unfair to construe this to mean women are always physically weak in comparison.

Kevin wrote:

This is almost certainly not the case. Women are coded to be the child-bearing and child-rearing gender of the species. That's not to say that women can't act aggressively - simply than, from a genetic standpoint, they're programmed to be more gentle / nurturing (maybe 'gentle' isn't the right word...)

Sorry the double negative is confusing me, could you rephrase this?

Kevin wrote:

See Game Theory.

Yes, they are. So are men. The whole goal for us is reproduction. You'd better believe that mates are a prize we're all seeking.

There's probably no solution that would satisfy both sides on this problem, is there. In saying this, a feminist would be thinking long term, not instinctive terms. One would not wish to be deceived by a suitor, though the suitor might wish to bend rules in his favour in the playing of the game. From a feminist point of view one would like to be able to take for granted that what is offered initially is offered indefinitely, however, while women are a prize to be won at some finite bingo moment in the near future, clearly it is more likely that the suitor is charging at the gate with the intent to graze lazily in the field afterward. Frankly, it's enough to give you the shits, but...... that's men. Eye-wink

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tend to only show courtesy

I tend to only show courtesy to woman of my generation or older.  Older women generally understand that it is simply a manifestation of formerly proper social etiquette. 

I will no longer open doors for young women as they have been raised to be selfish, rude and vain.  They perceive any act of male kindness as just an attempt to get into their pants.  To be a "bitch" is now seen as a virtue.  I have no respect for them and my actions now reflect that.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline

Kevin R Brown wrote:

[RANT ON]

But I do tend to be a tad chivalrous when it comes to women.

Chivalroy is something I am complety against.  I am so against it, that it makes me shudder when people mention it.

Why?

Because it's sexist.  Yes, you read me right, sexist.

Doing something against someone due to their sex is considered sexist which is against current western morality, so doing something FOR that person should be considered the same.  Have you ever heard the saying "You cannot have your cake and eat it too"?  Chivalry is having the cake and eating it.  To hell with chivalry, I propose something different.  Common courtesy.

That's right, common courtesy.  Something I was brought up to believe in.  Something I see offended EVERY day, something I take offence to EVERY day. 

It's simple.  Don't care what sex the person is, just be courtious.  Sounds simple, doesn't it?  It's not as simple as you think.  Here's a list of things that offends me EVERY day. 

* If you're walking on a sidewalk, stay to the side that people in that country drive on.  In my country we drive on the left, so walk to the left.  If you're in a country that drives on the right,  walk to the right.  I was taught this in kindergarten.  How fucking hard is it?

* If you have an umbrella, keep it away from peoples eyes.  Lift the fucking thing and close it if you're under a cover.  Once again, how fucking hard is it?

* Let people exit before you enter.  This applies to lifts, trains, busses, trams, buildings, cars and rooms etc. (often mistakenly seen as chivalry and I have been abused for it despite just following courtesy rules - I would and have done the same for a male).

* In the case of doors opening towards you, let the other person go through first as it's easier for you to hold it open than for them (this one varies depending on the size of the party or number of people on either side of the door wanting passage through).

* If a door opens in your direction, hold it for those heading your way (often seen as chivalry again and I have been abused for it despite following courtesy rules - I would and have done the same for a male).

* Say please and thankyou, even if it is that persons job to do what they just did for you. (the exceptions being only for less than adequate service of that job).

Those are four simple things that would  make my life a thousand times better, the full list is a lot longer. 

I do extra things for females like you, yes ... but as I see it it's not out of chivalry, it's out of courtesy.  From your post I think you see things the same way, you're just thinking in the wrong context.  They're good actions, thoughts, and reactions, you're just seeing them in the wrong way.

Edit: In addition.  Next time you do one of these chivalrious actions, simple things at first, think about it.  What would you do if it was a guy instead.  In the example of a girl getting to a door at the same time as you, would you walk through it first or hold it open for them?  If you're a courteous person, your actions would be the same as what you currently perceive as a chivalry.  If not, you're either being sexist in a way (chivalry, cake, eating), or uncourteous.  If they are the same, you're just being courteous which is something that is in dire needs of being encouraged in society.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Feminist

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Women don't necessarily want to be protected.  However, in my experience, they like to feel like you are protective of them.

There are plenty of women that like the feeling of their man acting in a protective manner toward them.  If you encounter a woman that takes offense at this then just move on.  They are in the minority.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Women have notably less upper body strength than men.  This is a proven fact.  In the Navy the standards for push ups during the physical readiness tests allow for this and require much fewer of them being done by the females than the males.  Anyone who denies this simple fact is just being an idiot.  Sorry.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Everyone knows that women have the capability to be aggressive.  However, testosterone tends to make a person more aggressive.  Men have more of it than women.  Also society teaches men to be more aggressive.  Little boys play war.  Little girls play with baby dolls.  I know there are exceptions to these rules.  However those are "exceptions".

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Well...women aren't a prize.  But their affection is.  A man has to offer something to a woman in order to earn her affection.  This may be physical, mental, or emotional.  Everyone is different and what interests one woman may be completely ineffectual to another woman.

As for Chivalry.  I once dated a girl that insisted that I opened the car door for her when we went anywhere.  I also often open doors for women of all ages.  It's common decency.  I know that the more northern states have less common decency in everyday small acts than us hicks down here in Texas.

We call that being rude down here.  Kindness is something that is still considered important where I live.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:As for

Watcher wrote:
As for Chivalry.  I once dated a girl that insisted that I opened the car door for her when we went anywhere.  I also often open doors for women of all ages.  It's common decency.  I know that the more northern states have less common decency in everyday small acts than us hicks down here in Texas.

We call that being rude down here.  Kindness is something that is still considered important where I live.

That's one example I didn't cover in my previuos post.  I have had similar things and I was more than happy to do so.  In fact, I think that situation just after graduating high school was what made me start thinking along the lines I do now.  I was being driven home by a mate, he dropped off someone else first and waited until that person got in their door.  From the moment that person stepped out of the car I was telling the driver friend to drive off, but he waited.  He explained after the person we just dropped off that he was ensuring that person had gotten inside first. 

That's when I realised ... I had been doing the exact same thing for women to that point but not for men I had been driving home.  Since then I've conciously treated both in the same way from dropping people off to opening the car's door for them even when I'm the driver.  Common courtesy, it IS the right thing to do no matter the sex of the purson.  If the sex makes a difference, then whether the actions are good or bad you're still being sexist. 

It's the whole reason as to why these days I am against chivalry, it is why I'm for homosexual equality in marraige etc.  I don't see why anything should be different depending on sex.  This simple act is what taught me that what is referred to as "sexuality" is nothing more than a matter of taste in my opinion, a guy liking a guy or a girl liking a girl to me is no different to a guy liking the colour red rather than green.  I may not agree but in the end it means as much as me loving rare steak and them being a vegitarian. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Watcher

thingy wrote:

Watcher wrote:

That's one example I didn't cover in my previuos post.  I have had similar things and I was more than happy to do so.  In fact, I think that situation just after graduating high school was what made me start thinking along the lines I do now.  I was being driven home by a mate, he dropped off someone else first and waited until that person got in their door.  From the moment that person stepped out of the car I was telling the driver friend to drive off, but he waited.  He explained after the person we just dropped off that he was ensuring that person had gotten inside first. 

That's when I realised ... I had been doing the exact same thing for women to that point but not for men I had been driving home.  Since then I've conciously treated both in the same way from dropping people off to opening the car's door for them even when I'm the driver.  Common courtesy, it IS the right thing to do no matter the sex of the purson.  If the sex makes a difference, then whether the actions are good or bad you're still being sexist. 

It's the whole reason as to why these days I am against chivalry, it is why I'm for homosexual equality in marraige etc.  I don't see why anything should be different depending on sex.  This simple act is what taught me that what is referred to as "sexuality" is nothing more than a matter of taste in my opinion, a guy liking a guy or a girl liking a girl to me is no different to a guy liking the colour red rather than green.  I may not agree but in the end it means as much as me loving rare steak and them being a vegitarian. 

So if acknowledging differences between gender, even if by acts of courtesy, constitutes sexism, then does making allowances for different races, even allowances aimed at balancing previous injustices, constitute racism ?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Care to actually acknowledge

Care to actually acknowledge the positions I mentioned, rather than making the generalized attack on chivalry without backing it up, thingy?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Common

thingy wrote:

Common courtesy, it IS the right thing to do no matter the sex of the purson.  If the sex makes a difference, then whether the actions are good or bad you're still being sexist. 

You say sexist like it's a bad thing.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since I'm fast becoming the

Since I'm fast becoming the guy who says what nobody wants to acknowledge, and then confounds the problem by being scientifically accurate, I might as well jump into this one...

Quote:

In the species, women need to be protected.  That's why most armies don't have women on the front lines.  Women can pull triggers just fine, after all.  Individual women don't often need to be protected because they live in societies with police and double locks and coded entry keypads.  Most women are attracted to men who give them a feeling of safety.

It's tempting to say that this is an evolutionary adaptation that has outlived its usefulness, but think of the alternative.  If women didn't like to be protected, men would stop protecting them.  If that started happening species-wide, women would start joining armies and getting killed in droves, and there really would be a shortage.  When there's a shortage, you know what the men do, right?  They kill each other to get to the women.

In other words, we need the instinct, even though it annoys some feminists.

Quote:

"In humans, the average male is 10 percent taller, 20 percent heavier, 50 percent stronger in the upper body, and 100 percent stronger in the hands than the average female.  By primate standards, that is a moderate sex difference in body size."

-- Geoffrey Miller, The Mating Mind, Anchor Books, 2001

Quote:

Where do you want to begin?  Yes.  Men are inherently more aggressive than women.  Traditionally, testosterone has been blamed, and there seems to be a lot of good reasons to continue to do so.  The stats are so clear that I'm not going to waste time digging for them.  Just do any search for stats on violent crime, anywhere in the world.

Quote:

See Game Theory.

Yes.  Females are a prize to be won, biologically.  Our instincts have programmed us (males) to pursue and try to win the affection of females.  Most men do this, and most women like it.  There are women who believe they are playing outside the system, but in most cases, they're just after a different type of male who pursues in a different way than most men.

What a lot of feminists I've known have objected to is being treated like a prize after being won.  They don't like when their man "shows them off" or treats them like they're a second class citizen compared to the guy friends.  Though every behavior is rooted in biology, this is certainly one that is highly influenced by social norms, and is much easier to change than the basic dynamics of males pursuing and winning females.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Care to

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Care to actually acknowledge the positions I mentioned, rather than making the generalized attack on chivalry without backing it up, thingy?

I actually thought I did back up what I was saying.  I didn't address those issues as I saw this as an open door for my own little rant as well.  As to the positions you mentioned I do acknowledge there are differences between men and women.   I don't actually disagree with the positions you mentioned as those are the differences between the males and females of our species.  In my every day actions though those differences do not affect my behaviour. 

joyfuldinosaur
User is offlineOffline
against chivalry

Chivalry, by definition, is sexist. Before you start jumping on your soapbox, let me explain. Chivalry is rooted in the medieval concept of courtly love; wherein a knight or otherwise honorable man may win the affections of a courtier, always female. He does this by doing gentlemanly deeds directed at the woman he aims to win. He might hold doors open for her, might win competitions in her honor. He probably doesn't engage in intellectual or scholarly conversation with her, nor does he treat her as though she were one of his male friends. She is special, revered, and put on a pedestal. She is the 'object of his affections', and only that - an object. She will eventually become impregnated by him, and bear him children. Quite possibly she is impressed by his deeds, and rewards him with her virginity. The culture they live in is patriarchal - ruled by a religious monarch, and quite often violent. The wealthy women who are 'lucky' enough to be courtiers are treated as dolls - not allowed to run about or go to school.

In feudal systems, however, women worked alongside men in the fields, and while they were discouraged or barred from entering into some professions, they pulled their own weight in the community. A peasant family did not have the luxuries that the leisure class did. They, as a result, did not have chivalry. That was confined to courtiers.

But let's fast forward a bit.

Not all women want to be treated in a chivalrous manner. Quite a lot of women would like to be treated as equals. What do I mean when I say 'equals'? You'd be quite an idiot if you thought that I believed that there are no differences between men and women. Yes, of course there are. No one is saying that there aren't. What we're trying to say is that we have reached a point in our evolution as a species where being physically stronger and taller are not advantages anymore. One does not climb to the top of a business ladder by being more aggressive or by being able to lift heavy shit. One does it, hopefully, by being assertive and with good communication skills - as well as prowess in the chosen field, be it business or art. 

(The military is quite a different story, where men are conditioned to be manly symbols of machismo and aggression. Of course, you're about to go and kill people, to be subjected to rigorous conditions and possibly killed yourself. A certain amount of stoicism and well-directed aggression is necessary. Levelheadedness and cool logic are also vital. These attributes are not restricted to males. Drill sarge may tell you that the opposite of girly is manly. (You're not a bunch of frilly girls in frou-frou skirts, are you? NO! So quit your girly whining and drop and give me twenty!)

This is sexist. This is sexism in one of its purer forms. The equation that someone uses when they call a group of men 'girls' is that woman=bad. They are substituting the ideas of weakness and immaturity with the words 'girl' and 'sissy'. Why doesn't drill sarge call you weaklings and immature boys for being weak and whining? 

Now stop me if they don't do this in the military anymore, but I know a Special Forces medic currently serving in Iraq. I've known him since I was 7 years old and I'd like to think that he painted an accurate picture of what a drill sergeant is like. 

The belief that women are weaker, in need of protection, and a bunch of sissy girls, is sexist and has no foundation in modern day social interactions. The military is not the real world - it is a place where you are heavily socially conditioned to conform to a patriarchal and hierarchical, quite primitive system of respect, honor, obedience and shame.  

Aggression and physical strength are _not_ desired skills in the modern day workplace or social situation. Aggression has connotations with violence and anger - ie, not desirable. Physical strength is only good for throwing, lifting, hauling and fighting, ie not the only form of power. It's my belief that humans should be able to run a mile without collapsing, do some pushups, and be able to lift their body weight (as in a pull-up). I can't think of any day-to-day situation where much more than that would be necessary. Of course, if you want to body-build to the extent that you can't hold your own penis on the off-chance that you might some day have to lift a car off your friend, then be my guest. 

I think it's a waste of time.

At one point in our evolution, it was quite advantageous for men and women to be able to physically protect pregnant women and children. Just as it may have been advantageous for those same men and women to be religious - to draw hasty conclusions and to believe in something rather than nothing. These were the morals of nomadic tribes. These were the morals of uncivilized people, people without technological advances we have today. Now, we don't have to fear lions and tigers and the onslaught of a neighboring tribe's pillaging. Pregnant women are capable of riding bikes, driving cars, shooting guns and performing judo throws up until their last trimester. Women no longer need male protection. Chivalry is outdated. Sexism is as unnecessary as religion. Yet sexism, like religion, still has modern day practicioners. We still have a long way to go. And there are differences between moderate sexism and fundamentalist sexism - just as there are differences between moderate religion and fundamentalist religion. Strangely, though, the two seem to go hand in hand.

Doing anything for a woman _because_ she is a woman is sexist. At least admit it. 

Chivalry is sexist and quite often unwelcome. And we're not bitches, rude or vain if we don't appreciate your sexist advances. 

Kevin, please don't think I'm lumping you into the group with all the women-hating sexist pigs of the world. I'm not. I'm sure you're a very nice guy and the fact that you consider yourself to be chivalrous shows that you have the best of intentions. 

I probably shouldn't have jumped on you for calling those guys 'pussies'. I should learn to choose my battles more wisely. 

Also, as a side note, just because some women are sexist also, and demand that you hold doors open for them, etc, does not mean that it's okay to be sexist to everyone. Quite a lot of Islamic women have been quoted saying that they 'want to obey their husbands', and that they love being submissive and perfect little virgins. It's still sexist. Men and women are both capable of being sexist.

But do what you want - I'm not censoring your freedom of speech. But using words like 'girly-man' and 'sissy' and 'pussy' to mean weak and immature is offensive to men and women.

I'm not an ultra-feminist. I'm just a feminist, plain and simple. I advocate equal sharing of power between men and women. I advocate economic, social and political equality. Notice there how I didn't say 'biological equality'.

Call me an idealist, but I think we're lacking in idealism these days. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Chivalry, by

Quote:
Chivalry, by definition, is sexist.

Then the entire field of biology is 'sexist', since it acknowledges differences between men and women.

Quote:
Chivalry is rooted in the medieval concept

And that's where you fail.

Nothing is 'rooted' in a medieval concept. Medieval concepts were all based on human evolution and our genes, just like everything else up to now.

How about you go ahead and actually acknowledge the points that've been made thus far before continuing forward? Then maybe I'll continue the discussion with you.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

joyfuldinosaur
User is offlineOffline
 I did rebut your

I did rebut your points:

1. Women don't need to be protected _anymore_.

2. Women _are_ physically weaker than men, yes. However, some studies have shown that pound-for-pound, women are just as strong, if not sometimes stronger than men. I don't remember what study it was, but it involved the gold-medalists in the olympic heavylifting categories, male and female. The woman was able to lift more weight per pound of her bodyweight. It seems that being naturally smaller is the only major disadvantage women have to physically prowess. Of course, brute force is not the only kind of strength. There's intellectual strength, emotional strength, agility, speed, balance, coordination... c

3. Women do have less testosterone, yes. No one's trying to argue with you on that. But the human mind is capable of all sorts of rank sadism and aggression. These may be directly linked to testosterone levels, but may also have more complex explanations. 

4. No one should be a "prize"! What a terrible way of thinking of someone! It's degrading to think of another human being as a prize to be won, imho. I'm delving into ethics here, but shouldn't a potential mate be someone with whom you are cooperating and sharing visions for the future? Not necessarily parading them about on your arm like a trophy. I mean, by all means be proud if you think you've scored the hottest woman in the room as your girlfriend, but chances are someone doesn't think she's that hot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We should be judging our mates by compatibility and shared interest, not by whether we think they're a great prize to be compared to other peoples' mates. That demeans the intricacy of human relations. 

YES! Chivalry is a medieval concept! Oh my fucking lord, of COURSE a concept can be based in a culture... not everything is fricking genetic. If everything was genetic, then there would be few cultural and ideological differences in the world. But different people come up with different ideas. Chivalry is a medieval concept for fuck's sake. Knights and Courtiers didn't exist until medieval times. Therefore, self-identification as chivalrous could not have occured until the social conditions for it arose. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
joyfuldinosaur wrote: I did

joyfuldinosaur wrote:

I did rebut your points:

1. Women don't need to be protected _anymore_.

Go back and read what I said all over again.

The child-bearing member of the species ALWAYS needs to be better protected - and even if we reached a point when they don't, by the time we've reached said point, we've developed in us the instinct for doing it.

If you'd like, I can model the fact that regardless of how advanced a society is, until it develops some kind of automated reproducing machines, women always need more protection than men.

Quote:
2. Women _are_ physically weaker than men, yes. However, some studies have shown that pound-for-pound, women are just as strong, if not sometimes stronger than men. I don't remember what study it was, but it involved the gold-medalists in the olympic heavylifting categories, male and female. The woman was able to lift more weight per pound of her bodyweight. It seems that being naturally smaller is the only major disadvantage women have to physically prowess. Of course, brute force is not the only kind of strength. There's intellectual strength, emotional strength, agility, speed, balance, coordination...

Sounds like a shitty study, given it didn't encompass anyone outside the Olympics.

Quote:
3. Women do have less testosterone, yes. No one's trying to argue with you on that. But the human mind is capable of all sorts of rank sadism and aggression. These may be directly linked to testosterone levels, but may also have more complex explanations.

...Such as?

You know what an 'argument from ignorance' fallacy is, right?

Quote:
4. No one should be a "prize"! What a terrible way of thinking of someone! It's degrading to think of another human being as a prize to be won, imho.

Well, that's your opinion, then. Science says that this is the way we operate.

Sorry if you don't like it.

Quote:
I'm delving into ethics here, but shouldn't a potential mate be someone with whom you are cooperating and sharing visions for the future? Not necessarily parading them about on your arm like a trophy.

You're conflating the term 'prize'.

I have to win a mate, right? I mean, I can't just say, 'I'm your man, that's the end of it,' right? Is that somehow in conflict with ethical notions of consent?

Clearly you don't like the term 'prize', but that's apparently because you can't seperate it from the word 'trophy' - which is something else entirely. My biological goal is to reproduce. In our complex world, in order to reach that goal, I play the game we call 'dating'. The prize I get for winning the game is a female suitor.

Quote:
I mean, by all means be proud if you think you've scored the hottest woman in the room as your girlfriend, but chances are someone doesn't think she's that hot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We should be judging our mates by compatibility and shared interest, not by whether we think they're a great prize to be compared to other peoples' mates. That demeans the intricacy of human relations.

We actually just finished discussing and debunking this in another thread. Attractiveness is only subjective within certain degrees, and regardless of how idealistic we might wish the process of judgement to be, it isn't.

Quote:
YES! Chivalry is a medieval concept! Oh my fucking lord, of COURSE a concept can be based in a culture... not everything is fricking genetic.

Think carefully about what you just said. Things can be based on culture, and not genetics. But where does our culture even come from?

Our genes, of course.

Quote:
If everything was genetic, then there would be few cultural and ideological differences in the world.

Untrue. See: Genetic Diversity.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 .... folklore says bible

.... folklore says bible John , the only apostle to survive to old age , had only these words to say, "Love one another" .....

Sorry Kevin  , nothing more to add, at this time  ....     

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I open doors at equal rates

I open doors at equal rates for both men and women... nix that, I open doors for men slightly more often.  I want to have sex with them and not with women.  Actually, women have a terrible tendency in my experience to simply let doors close behind them while men hold them open for both men and women.  I don't feel like holding doors for women after such experiences.  Are men simply more courteous than women?  It would seem that, yes.  There are other instances that give me this general impression and I think it has something to do with how men are raised, which is to be courteous to women and that this rubs off in adulthood into being courteous to everyone.  That's not to say, however, that all men are more courteous, only that I've never had a door held open for me, or stayed (you know, where the person politely waits as many as 10 seconds holding the door until you are close enough to catch or hold it yourself) for me by a woman.

Perhaps if people would just be more courteous to each other in general?  Or perhaps if women wouldn't expect equal treatment, as I expect they do, but fail to scoff when they are treated preferentially and typically fail to return courteous treatment... And no, winking, smiling, thanking, nodding, bending lower thus that your cleavage is more visible and lifting the edge of your skirt do not count as returning the favour, though I'm sure heterosexual men think otherwise, which likely promotes such behaviour; I don't want your sex, not that you're likely to give me any anyhow even were I straight, you tease...

I live in the downtown core of Toronto amidst the second largest number of sky scrappers in North America and what is likely the second largest financial district.  This means I encounter a very large number of women who work in offices.  This likely explains a large number of my experiences with the women I encounter daily.  Perhaps the behaviour shouldn't surprise me?  It doesn't.  I am pretty sure I know just why the women act like they do (and so does Kevin), but I don't think that justifies what I perceive as a general lack of courteousness on their part.  What's wrong with chivalry?  Well, it's been pointed out that it is essentially sexist, but more importantly I see it as being tied very closely with courtesy and this inherently means that as women are typically not chivalrous (they certainly can't be described as that when they are being courteous) they are also typically not courteous.

I intend to make it a habit for myself to be actively less courteous to women over the next week (I mean, more so than I already am) in an attempt to get some sort of response from either them or the men who witness my apparent lack of courteousness.  I'll get back to you all on the results of my experiment.  If I don't, assume I've been physically assaulted and am dead or otherwise unable to post.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

joyfuldinosaur
User is offlineOffline
you'll need an epiphany

Kevin - from your posts, I can answer your original question: Yes. You are sexist.

But don't worry. You're in the majority. Everywhere you go, you will be backed up by people who have the same views as you. That doesn't mean you're right, of course.

And you have good intentions - you honestly think you're helping the species by sticking to your guns, defending your dogmatic position with what you consider to be 'scientific evidence'.

You're contributing to the same sexism that allows Islamic women to be beaten and raped, to have their virginities protected with stitches. You're permitting the same sexism that fuels pay discrepancies. You're practicing a moderate form of sexism though - I don't think you beat your girlfriends or rape random women. But you're still moderately sexist.

Feminists - real feminists - are a minority. We don't think that men and women are exactly the same. We just realize that the differences we have are minimal - we have more in common than we have to separate us.

As a feminist, I hold these positions:

1. Women should have equal economic power. (equal pay, no discrimination in the workplace, pregnant couples should be treated as that, couples, and be allowed both maternity and paternity leave, about 3-6 months. places of work, or the government should always offer childcare and allow women to breastfeed in public)

2. Women should not be subjected to unwanted sexual advances (catcalling, the same guy asking you out over and over again, sexual harrassment, rape)

3. Women and Men should share domestic duties and power - that means equal power sharing in the household. Cleaning the kitchen is not womens work. Raising children is not womens work. These are shared duties, they need to be equally shared between men and women.

4. Physical strength is not the only form of power. There are many ways to be powerful that do not involve being strong, tall, fast, etc. In primate communities, the most successful leaders are those that are benevolent, not aggressive. (see Mark Reimers, phD, lecture on secular roots of morality. I know somewhere on facebook there is a recording of the lecture, i'll post it here if you like later)

5. Men and Women are different - and those differences are complimentary. They do not make one superior or inferior. We are equals in the respect that we are all animals on this planet.

6. Human sexuality is complex, and we can't control peoples' fantasies. Therefore I am NOT anti-pornography, anti-strip club, or whatever. I'm not conservative, I'm not a prude. There are many ways of expressing healthy sexuality. Men are NOT inherently evil. Men are NOT all rapists. I'm not the late Andrea Dworkin (anti-porn feminist) here, I'm a level-headed, rational feminist who has thought through her position on this matter.

It takes an epiphany to become a feminist. For some of us it happens gradually, for others there is a distinct "aha" moment. I'd liken it to the journey a theist takes to becoming an atheist.

I chose not to ridicule you for what I consider antiquated and sexist beliefs - but the RRS ridicules theists all the time. Would you have appreciated it had I made fun of you with dismissive condescension?

You're not a feminist. You're sexist. But lucky for you, so are most people.

When you're ready to join yet another hated minority, pm me and I'll give you the titles to some feminist books that might help you become enlightened.

shikko
User is offlineOffline

Kevin R Brown wrote:

[RANT ON]

What do you mean by chivalrous in this context?  I think it's one of those terms that has a bunch of meanings based on context.  I hold doors open for whoever's behind me.  I don't carry things for anyone, unless they're houseguests, and then I'll carry the heaviest-looking bag.  If I'm dropping someone off at their home, I'll wait for them to get inside; I don't care how many X chromosomes they have.  I do these things because I'm trying to make the world a more thoughtful place, not out of a sense of duty or because I'm trying to get someone in the sack.

Quote:

My take on this is that women don't want to feel that you think they cannot take care of themselves, or are helpless, etc. (actually, now that I've read that, I think it's a gender-neutral feeling; I'd be pretty insulted if someone thought I couldn't take care of myself).  "Needs to be protected" can be pretty insulting, if the "need" seems to be based solely on the perception of a person's abilities.  I am NOT saying you did this, but your attitudes/feelings on the subject don't matter one whit to what someone else thinks you believe in an exchange.

Quote:

Er, well.  Hmm.  I feel fairly qualified to speak on this from a purely practical standpoint: yes they are.

Proportionately, women have more strength in their legs and hips, and men have it in the arms and shoulders; proportionately, men have more muscle mass than women.  On average, men have higher bone density from puberty onwards (though this may be mostly due to the nurture effects of weight-bearing exercise).  This makes men (on average) both stronger and "tougher" than women in any sort of situation where impact is a factor.

In my experience, men are conditioned to be better at dealing with acute pain ("walk it off, ya pansy!" ) than women, but women are better conditioned to deal with chronic pain (the constant low-grade pain of later pregnancy) than men.

Quote:

You know, it's funny: in the predatory mammal corner of the animal kingdom, it seems to be the females that do most of the killing.  Granted, it's to provide food for the offspring they're raising, but it's still killing.  It's mother bears you really have to look our for in the woods; mother lions that feed the pride.  When it comes to bonobos and chimps, I don't know what the breakdown is.

In humans, men are more likely to commit domestic assault.  However, women are far more likely to use an object (e.g. a knife) while committing domestic assault than a man.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
joyfuldinosaur wrote:Kevin -

joyfuldinosaur wrote:

Kevin - from your posts, I can answer your original question: Yes. You are sexist.

But don't worry. You're in the majority. Everywhere you go, you will be backed up by people who have the same views as you. That doesn't mean you're right, of course.

Dramatizing, without backing-up your claim.

Quote:
And you have good intentions - you honestly think you're helping the species by sticking to your guns, defending your dogmatic position with what you consider to be 'scientific evidence'.

More of the same, condescending genuine scientific literature (like Game Theory) without actually presenting an argument. Otherwise known as an Ad Hominem fallacy.

Quote:
You're contributing to the same sexism that allows Islamic women to be beaten and raped, to have their virginities protected with stitches. You're permitting the same sexism that fuels pay discrepancies. You're practicing a moderate form of sexism though - I don't think you beat your girlfriends or rape random women. But you're still moderately sexist.

More Ad Hominem attacking.

Quote:
Feminists - real feminists - are a minority. We don't think that men and women are exactly the same. We just realize that the differences we have are minimal - we have more in common than we have to separate us.

No True Scotsman fallacy, followed by an unsupported claim.

Quote:
As a feminist, I hold these positions:

1. Women should have equal economic power. (equal pay, no discrimination in the workplace, pregnant couples should be treated as that, couples, and be allowed both maternity and paternity leave, about 3-6 months. places of work, or the government should always offer childcare and allow women to breastfeed in public)

You hold mutually exclusive beliefs? That's rather interesting.

Quote:
2. Women should not be subjected to unwanted sexual advances (catcalling, the same guy asking you out over and over again, sexual harrassment, rape)

I agree. Nobody should. It so happens that these things happen more to women than they do men.

Refer back to when I said, 'Women should be protected'.

Quote:
3. Women and Men should share domestic duties and power - that means equal power sharing in the household. Cleaning the kitchen is not womens work. Raising children is not womens work. These are shared duties, they need to be equally shared between men and women.

Now we get into uncomfortable truths:

Who has better nurturing, child-rearing instincts? The child-bearing member of the species, of course.

I agree that women should have the freedom to do whatever they like, and men should not be able to unreasonably excuse themselves from domestic responsibilities. That said - why do you think the behavior pattern of men going-off to work while the women raise the children has persisted? The answer you're not likely to like is a genetic one - we're programmed to do this. Women are more effective, and have better biological tools, when it comes to nursing their offspring than males do. So they take to the task. Men, on the other hand (being more aggressive) strike-out to find the resources to support the family.

No, it doesn't 'have to' be this way. There are exceptions. The key word is 'exceptions', however. We do it this way because that's how our genes operate.

Quote:
4. Physical strength is not the only form of power. There are many ways to be powerful that do not involve being strong, tall, fast, etc. In primate communities, the most successful leaders are those that are benevolent, not aggressive. (see Mark Reimers, phD, lecture on secular roots of morality. I know somewhere on facebook there is a recording of the lecture, i'll post it here if you like later)

Backpedalling on your argument.

I wasn't discussing 'power' as an arbitrary term. I'll take this as your concession that males are more physically powerful than females (on average).

Quote:
5. Men and Women are different - and those differences are complimentary. They do not make one superior or inferior. We are equals in the respect that we are all animals on this planet.

Correct. Males are not superior to females. But that wasn't my argument, was it? Mine was that females are the more valuable gender, and as a result, we've (rightly) come to protect them.

You're committing what's known as a Non Sequitor logical fallacy.

Quote:
6. Human sexuality is complex, and we can't control peoples' fantasies. Therefore I am NOT anti-pornography, anti-strip club, or whatever. I'm not conservative, I'm not a prude. There are many ways of expressing healthy sexuality. Men are NOT inherently evil. Men are NOT all rapists. I'm not the late Andrea Dworkin (anti-porn feminist) here, I'm a level-headed, rational feminist who has thought through her position on this matter.

Your statements seem to betray this as a lie.

Quote:
It takes an epiphany to become a feminist

Then it probably isn't a rational position.

Quote:
For some of us it happens gradually, for others there is a distinct "aha" moment. I'd liken it to the journey a theist takes to becoming an atheist.

Again, you've stated mutually exclusive claims. On one hand, it requires an epiphany to become a feminist. On the other, sometimes it can happen gradually.

Which one is true? It can't be both.

I'd liken it to the 'journey' of opening oneself up to the metaphysical, myself.

Quote:
I chose not to ridicule you for what I consider antiquated and sexist beliefs - but the RRS ridicules theists all the time. Would you have appreciated it had I made fun of you with dismissive condescension?

WHAT!?

You lying piece of shit.

Perhaps I should paste the Skype chatlog here, then, so you can be exposed for the fraud you are? The instance when you brazenly dismissed me as just another chauvinistic pig? The time last night when you offered a faux apology in an attempt to get a concession from me or embarass me, only to immediately reneg on said apology and link to your rebuttal of my argument here immediately afterward?

You're like every other feminist I've ever met: a self-centered, dishonest and sensationalistic bitch.

Quote:
You're not a feminist. You're sexist. But lucky for you, so are most people.

While we're getting all lovey-dovey, here's what I think of you:

You're an attention-seeker and drama queen. You explode at every little thing you think could be construed as 'sexist', because it's an excellent way for you to get in the center of the spotlight.

Quote:
When you're ready to join yet another hated minority, pm me and I'll give you the titles to some feminist books that might help you become enlightened.

Here's my personal opinion regarding the feminist movement, projected from personal experience:

It's far more about physical appearance than it is any kind of principle. A 'feminist' is typically someone who sees an unattractive male, but cannot admit to themselves that they're making a judgement of that person based on appearance (because it threatens their worldview), so invents criteria in their head based on that person's behavior that allows them to tell themselves that they aren't attracted to the person not because of physical qualities but because of more 'meaningful' ones.

When I was a year out of high school, a friend and I would play a game with women we suspected were feminists (he was a very attractive guy - still is - who regularly picked-up 10s) at a billiards hall we frequented. I would introduce myself, do the things I normally do (bow my head on greeting, hold doors when the opportunity was presented, pull out chairs, etc), and be greeted with the typical feminist disgust / eye-rolling. How dare I. Then my friend would introduce himself, and act outrageously chauvinistic. He wouldn't get a single complaint - every single time, the 'feminist' suddenly just played right along. If they were in a close demogrpah, and he thought they were attractive enough, they often went home with him for the night.

Your 'feminism' can get fucked. It's nothing but smoke and mirrors; a refusal to admit that you, like everyone else, judge people by some unfair criteria, and that's just the way the world works.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aw hell naw. 

Aw hell naw. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I've had my epiphany. I am

I've had my epiphany. I am no longer a sexist male.  Men and women are equals and deserve to be treated as such.  Theoretically speaking, if any female should ever physically slap my face over some perceived grievance I shall treat her as my equal and respond likewise by delivering a sharp blow to her face as well.

Such is the true nature of equality.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Women give me stuck jars to

Women give me stuck jars to open.    Does this help?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin, You fell victim to

Kevin,

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a feminist when DEATH is on the line...

In all seriousness, wow... this is one of the most heated arguments I've seen in a while... and that's including me pissing off everyone in the world by saying that it's equally good or possibly better to not have children.   (What an outrageous thing for me to say!!)

Carry on, folks.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
So is it jut me or is there

So is it jut me or is there a theme in this thread that being polite and respectful to women is sexist,and treating them like crap would be preferable?

Also:

joyfuldinosuar wrote:

When you're ready to join yet another hated minority

To be honest,I'm not really surprised they're hated if they're all like you.i'm not sure I see what Kevin did to earn being labelled a sexist and having 'dismissive condescension' Since I mostly agree with his points and am nice to women,guess I'm actually a women hating bastard too?

I'm so glad I've seen the light and never have to polite to anyone again,cause you know,that's sexist.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow heated discussion. Can I

Wow heated discussion. Can I just say, I think Chivalry is sweet, I thoroughly disagree with taking offence to it, there are MUCH better ways of showing your mate what you are capable of doing for yourself than shouting guys down for offering a mere gesture of concern or interest. Shouting guys down for every minor courtesy doesn't do anything but antagonise sexism anyway, it's counter-productive and just plays to insecurities instead of diminishing them. To be against chivalry by condition of what it says about you is merely to give someone else the power to decide how you feel about yourself. Regardless of how dramatically or indignantly you demand that power back, the fact remains that you gave it away and it was your choice to do so to begin with. If you believe how a man acts towards you should say something about you, then you believe it, but you shouldn't blame that on him.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you believe how a

Quote:
If you believe how a man acts towards you should say something about you, then you believe it, but you shouldn't blame that on him.

Well spoken.

Books about atheism

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
So let me get this straight.

Men aren't allowed to be courteous because it's sexists, we have to treat women as equals, yet if we treat them as equals (like men that would be as an equal to me) then we are pricks. If we are nice, and open doors, that's bad, but if we treat you like an equal, that's bad because you want to feel special like your someone meaningful in my life, not just one of the guys. Now I don't treat women as one of the guys, just as I don't expect you to treat me like one of the girls, because I ain't. (At this point I am talking about myself, although many of my male friends have the same views) I am not sensitive, I don't care to talk about feelings, there are many times I have nothing on my mind, it is not a reason not to talk, I simply have nothing to say at that moment. I don't care about your PMS, i don't bleed or get the cramps or bloated feeling, I don't feel like crap once a month, you have female friends to deal with that, that can sympathize with you, just as I don't expect you to understand the pain of a four hour hard-on. I cannot multi-task that well, many men can't we are not that great at it, we are awesome at focusing on one thing, however multi-tasking is something women are amazing at, I give ya props on that. Women are great at empathizing, we men are great at rubbing it in and making fun of it all (unless it is serious such as death and even then, it depends on the situation) We do things that disgust women, women do things that disgust guys, it's natural, we are different, our brains work slightly different (multi-tasking is an example). Women are far more nuturing than many men, there are always exceptions to this, and men well we are insensitive for the most part, however we love women (the straight guys, some gays do but for different reasons) and over all we want to respect you (for the most part many do) however we do things because we like you, not because we find you inferior, no because we want to show that we are above our animalistic behaviors, that we as men can be courteous, and some what senstive.

In the same sense I don't expect a woman to act like guys or behave anything else than as a female (the reason I love women and not men is because they are women) i mean come on I am game for being equal but when you can't open a jar, you sure as hell don't call you female friends to open it, just as when it comes to the kids I don't call my guy friends to figure out how to handle them. I am all for equal pay and equal treatment in the work force, but lets admit something here, women don't want to be equals, because men will treat equals like men, and you women are not about to start treating us guys as women. We are different in many aspects, both mentally and emotionally. How we express ourselves is far different, how we communicate is different, however we still love women because of those differences, I don't mind don't the chores, hell it keeps the house clean and sane fine with me, however don't expect me to start opening up about my feelings or start talking about things spontaneously all the time, it ain't going to happen, I don't empathize that well. So chivaraly isn't the same as sexism, these days we do mainly because hell it's a dying thing, and for the most part guys are pricks with other guys, and if you want to be treated the same, then go right ahead, don't complain about foul language, don't complain about guys sexualizing women (that's what we do with other guys), don't complain about being equals in friendship/relationships. Work force, same work same pay, household chores, that's fine with me, raising the children, hey I don't mind helping, don't ask to be this nurturing, empathizing, all caring father, I don't mind saying no, I don't mind dishing out punishment, heck I don't mind tending to injuries (although many times I  have told my daughter to stop crying, and that there is no crying in this house....unless bones or flesh are broken) but to be the all caring one, no, ain't going to happen, but when it does.....don't harp on how we should be like this more often.

With all that said, I still respect women, I love them all, I think men need women, just like women need men (straight men and women I am talking about here, don't start with bi-sexual, lesbians, gays, transexuals etc, etc, etc) and equality for all, but equality is really about the work force and about having a vocie in society, but in relationships, being courteous to a woman, opeing the doors, standing up when she sits at the table, all of that isn't about disrespecting a woman, it's all about respect, it is about being kind. If you want to talk about muslim women and the treatment in the middl east and other theocracies, well that's a different topic. I do apologize for any run on sentences, mistakes in spelling or just plain old rambling, it's late.

Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

Greetings,

I don't think you're sexist personally.   A lot of this has to do with the fact that our society is slowly "trying" to free itself from sexism.  I'm a male feminist, and absolutely so.  But if you really really think, women (even in our "progressive" country) not too long ago were forced to essentially act no different than women in a place like Arabia for example. 

Your argument for #1 is a bit odd to me.  I think most of mankind gave up that kind of survival mentality long ago.  I think the 2nd point is more of an argument for #1 than what you said.  Anyways, should women be protected?  Ethically speaking, I doubt this.  Go buy some pepper spray, or a taser, or a Saturday night special!   Hell.

#2, I'd say the small and weak need protection, really.  I know big strong women and I know puny little men..   There are exceptions to this.  For example, certain women are obviously much more likely to get jumped and raped.  But at the same time when a guy is in a bar (or wherever really) he's way more likely to get a beat down.

#3, I don't even know what to say to that.  It seems rather silly for someone to think one gender is more aggressive than the other.  In certain areas I'm sure its true but other than that wtf is going on with that belief...

#4, again with the survivalist mentality!!  Why is it a 'prize', friend, other than surviving and producing quality babies?  I'd argue that a partner has much more to offer.  Anyways, women are 'trained' to be hard to get (at least that's how it seems to me) while at the same time men are trained to pursue.  I don't get it anymore really, a guy is a pussy because he doesn't go talk to a smokin' hot woman?  Just seems like he's too shy to me. 

I've had a lot of women look at me angrily when I'd hold the door for them, like all I wanted was to get in their pants!  Get over yourself!

Someone will speak out against our foolish ancestor's ways one of these days...  Our belief structure is fucked at the moment.  I'm really curious as to why I don't see the guru-type on TV.  All I see when I turn on the news channels or wherever is some idiot.  IT'S ALWAYS AN IDIOT. 

Our lives are fucked!  We resist enlightenment so much that it is practically banned from massive public forum.

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:I open doors

Thomathy wrote:

I open doors at equal rates for both men and women... nix that, I open doors for men slightly more often.  I want to have sex with them and not with women.  Actually, women have a terrible tendency in my experience to simply let doors close behind them while men hold them open for both men and women.

Thanks for making me sneeze coke all over my computer screen Thomathy >.>

(Can any one else find all 3 sexual innuendos? its like the adult version of Wheres Waldo!)

What Would Kharn Do?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

I open doors at equal rates for both men and women... nix that, I open doors for men slightly more often.  I want to have sex with them and not with women.  Actually, women have a terrible tendency in my experience to simply let doors close behind them while men hold them open for both men and women.

Thanks for making me sneeze coke all over my computer screen Thomathy >.>

(Can any one else find all 3 sexual innuendos? its like the adult version of Wheres Waldo!)

Anytime, The Doomed Soul. Eye-wink

Ha!  I didn't even notice those!  Hmm... I thought the blatantly sexual stuff would issue laughter.  Now what I wrote seems dirty!  It is dirty!  Is there a sense of bisexuality in there? Ha!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Physical

Eloise wrote:

Physical strength is not all that counts a substantial amount in matters of survival. It's true that women in general are endowed with less physical stature, but in counting other significant elements of human toughness such as pain threshold, flexibility, acuity and stamina, the distribution is fairly wide and even over both genders.  Generally speaking the male advantage of being physical stronger and more invulnerable at the extremities is most significant, but it can be unfair to construe this to mean women are always physically weak in comparison.

Very true.  But we are better at sports (save for maybe gymnastics, ice skating. and archery)Sticking out tongue

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote:Very

illeatyourdog wrote:

Very true.  But we are better at sports (save for maybe gymnastics, ice skating. and archery)Sticking out tongue

On behalf of all MANkind

Gymnastics

... Not a sport

Ice Skating

... Not a sport

Archery

... Art of War, ergo... Not a sport

(and neither is ping pong, soccer, hopscotch, or limbo )

What Would Kharn Do?

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just me...

I'm an older, southern male. I was raised in a culture where one showed respect for others as a matter of course. 'Sir' and 'M'am' were and are ingrained in my vocabulary. I firmly believe courtesy greases the wheels of human society.

The code of Chivalry, as it relates to relationships between men and women works both ways, in it's purest sense a man accords a woman a special level of respect while a woman must strive to be worthy of the respect shown her.

I am a feminist, I teach my girls to be certain that they can always take care of themselves, and to not be dependant on others for their physical, emotional or financial well being. As a result, pissing off any of my daughters could be hazardous to ones health.

That being said... I get truely pissed when confronted by a politically correct pseudo-feminist who thinks that common courtesy is an afront to her personal dignity.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:On

The Doomed Soul wrote:

On behalf of all MANkind

Gymnastics

... Not a sport

Its more of a sport than Baseball.  

Ice Skating

... Not a sport

Unless you put a stick in the ice skaters hand and have him smack a black circle around the ice huh?

Quote:
Archery

... Art of War, ergo... Not a sport

I suppose the UFC, K-1, wrestling and Boxing aren't sports either.  Wrestling, boxing and kick boxing are also Arts of War. 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Feminist

Kevin R Brown wrote:

This claim is ambiguous and feminists tend to change it sense depending one where the argument goes.  It is ambiguous because this is usually in response to the old school chilvarous claim of "All women need to be protected at all times".  Clearly, women  have demonstrated that this is not the case at all.  However, this claim can also mean that no woman ever needs protection for any reason which is just insane since a pregnant woman clearly needs protection for the simple fact of if she dies, depending on where she is in her pregnancy, someone else dies with her. 

Quote:
Because, last time I checked, women were the child-bearing member of the species, and each woman can only deliver a handful of offspring.

The reason why this statement, while true, will land you in hot water with feminists is because this type of reasoning is a reduction of the female gender to a baby-factory since it presupposes that all women want to have children which is not necessarily the case, thus, if you are acting chilvarous around a woman who had her tubes tied, you are simply wasting energy since her reason for protection was snipped away by a scalpal.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: I

illeatyourdog wrote:

I suppose the UFC, K-1, wrestling and Boxing aren't sports either.  Wrestling, boxing and kick boxing are also Arts of War. 

Ahhh.  A another fan of martial arts. 

Yes, even the kicks and blows practiced by most competitors in K1 are based upon Muay Thai, which had its wonderfully effective origins on the battlefield.....

http://www.thaiboxing.com/

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ahhh.  A another fan of martial arts. 

Yes, even the kicks and blows practiced by most competitors in K1 are based upon Muay Thai, which had its wonderfully effective origins on the battlefield.....

Indeed.  Muay Thai is actually the "sport" version of muay boran which was never a sport since it was simply too brutal.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The reason why this

Quote:
The reason why this statement, while true, will land you in hot water with feminists is because this type of reasoning is a reduction of the female gender to a baby-factory since it presupposes that all women want to have children which is not necessarily the case, thus, if you are acting chilvarous around a woman who had her tubes tied, you are simply wasting energy since her reason for protection was snipped away by a scalpal.

By the way, illeatyourdog, I haven't forgotten to get back to you about adaptive mating strategies.  It may not seem like it right away, but this article is building up to a comprehensive explanation:  Intro to Sexual Selection and Runaway

There's more, so don't panic when it doesn't seem like I'm addressing the issue.  It's pretty complicated stuff, and you have to build a case from the bottom up.

Now, to the point at hand.  Where I think feminism goes wrong is the same place I think a lot of people go wrong.  They essentially make an error of division, which is the opposite of an error of composition.  Basically, one makes an error of composition when one asserts that the components of a whole must behave like the whole.  "Granite is noncrystalline.  Since quartz is in granite, quartz is also noncrystalline."  That's an error of division.

Bottom line is that females are baby factories.  Where feminists often go wrong when they hear that statement is to assume that it means that all individual females are baby factories.  Scientifically, it's true, but that particular science statement doesn't address personal desires.  As a whole, females of the human species are the baby factories.  Individually, there's no particular reason for any individual female to have a baby if she doesn't want to.

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:In the

Hambydammit wrote:
In the species, women need to be protected.

From what? Women aren't a resource.

Hambydammit wrote:
That's why most armies don't have women on the front lines.  Women can pull triggers just fine, after all.

The armies that don't have women on the front lines don't because the idea makes their culture squeamish. Let's not pretend we do calculations based on who can produce the most children.

Besides, in a situation of heavy overpopulation, reproduction does not make a woman valuable. The argument that women should be valued because of their reproductive capacity is total horseshit anyway. That would make infertile women worthless, which is a ridiculous idea.

Hambydammit wrote:
It's tempting to say that this is an evolutionary adaptation that has outlived its usefulness, but think of the alternative.  If women didn't like to be protected, men would stop protecting them.  If that started happening species-wide, women would start joining armies and getting killed in droves, and there really would be a shortage.  When there's a shortage, you know what the men do, right?  They kill each other to get to the women.

Thus solving the problem of overpopulation. Let's get those women some firearms!

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:From what? Women

Quote:
From what? Women aren't a resource.

I don't mean that Mary Jones needs to be protected from Johnny Throatslasher.  I mean that from a gene's point of view, any fertile female is more valuable than a male.  In a sociobiological sense, males (and sperm) are expendable, and females are not.  It's simple math.  With ten women in a room and one man, you can make ten babies.  With ten men and one woman, you can make one baby.  With ten men and ten women in a room, you can make ten babies.  You can still make ten babies if nine men are killed.  You can only make ten babies with ten women.

Quote:

The armies that don't have women on the front lines don't because the idea makes their culture squeamish. Let's not pretend we do calculations based on who can produce the most children.

Besides, in a situation of heavy overpopulation, reproduction does not make a woman valuable. The argument that women should be valued because of their reproductive capacity is total horseshit anyway. That would make infertile women worthless, which is a ridiculous idea.

The idea of women fighting on the front lines makes virtually all cultures squeamish.  I'm suggesting that this squeamishness is innate.  Though we don't do calculations, our emotions are evolutionary adaptations that make it very likely that we'll act for the benefit of our genes.

In a situation of overpopulation, it is very seldom the organism itself that will regulate its own reproduction.  It is usually external factors, such as starvation, disease, or predation.  Humans are no different, as far as I can tell.

I'm not suggesting that women have innate value at a societal level because of their baby making organs.  I'm suggesting that they have biological value, and that value translates directly into instinctual behaviors.  These behaviors manifest themselves even in what we think of as "advanced" societies.  In other words, (and directly pertinent to the natural/unnatural evolution question) humans are behaving just like any other social animal by instinctively behaving in ways that reduce the chances of females being killed.  Women and children go into the lifeboats first.  That's not politeness.  It's instinct.

Quote:
Thus solving the problem of overpopulation. Let's get those women some firearms!

I agree.  In fact, I think we should have rotating regiments, with each one taking only a week's duty.  Since they'll all be living together in barracks, their periods will start synching.  When that happens, we just schedule their combat for when they're PMSing really hard.

(How's that for sexist?)

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:their periods will

Quote:
their periods will start synching.

This doesn't actually happen, does it? I always hear young women say it, but I always dismissed it as myth. What possible mechanism would even allow for this?

Quote:

February 27, 1940

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
their periods will start synching.

This doesn't actually happen, does it? I always hear young women say it, but I always dismissed it as myth. What possible mechanism would even allow for this?

as a woman that has lived in college dorms i give you my word, kevin, that is does indeed happen.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes.  It definitely does

Yes.  It definitely does happen.  It's really common, actually.  I've never really searched the literature to see if there's an accepted scientific explanation.  My best guess is that it's pheromones, but I don't know for certain.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Those girly pheromonesthere

Those

girly pheromones

there is no escape

chemical love

regarding the synching question, harems would tell, but hey,

sex on the rag is fine with me, them crazy ancient forbidding girl punishing jews    

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I don't

Hambydammit wrote:
I don't mean that Mary Jones needs to be protected from Johnny Throatslasher.  I mean that from a gene's point of view, any fertile female is more valuable than a male.

That makes more sense. I'll buy the idea that we happened to develop a protective instinct for women and children in males because it works out in perpetuating the species.

Hambydammit wrote:
In a situation of overpopulation, it is very seldom the organism itself that will regulate its own reproduction.  It is usually external factors, such as starvation, disease, or predation.  Humans are no different, as far as I can tell.

It's very seldom that organisms use computers, but here we are. We've actually set ourselves up for mass starvation at this point, so maybe we really are designed to handle our own overpopulation.

Hambydammit wrote:
Women and children go into the lifeboats first.  That's not politeness.  It's instinct.

But now that women are just as expendable as men are, we can move away from the instinct and into a brave new world of gender equality. That will, of course, have an equal number of different problems than gender inequality, but why not give some women their freedom? The economic benefits are obvious.

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:

I agree.  In fact, I think we should have rotating regiments, with each one taking only a week's duty.  Since they'll all be living together in barracks, their periods will start synching.  When that happens, we just schedule their combat for when they're PMSing really hard.

(How's that for sexist?)

I've heard worse. Anyway, if you're like me, the only time I can communicate with women is when they're PMSing. But since it's better to be calm than enraged when in combat, you'd think that without the agitation of extra testosterone, they'd make better tacticians. Maybe we've been missing out on some serious talent by excluding women from war.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It's very seldom that

Quote:
It's very seldom that organisms use computers, but here we are. We've actually set ourselves up for mass starvation at this point, so maybe we really are designed to handle our own overpopulation.

My observation, cynical though it might be, is that the people with computers usually just make sure they're not one of the ones who starve.  Screw those folks who weren't smart enough to live in a First World country.

(Oh, and that, by the way, is a completely normal, instinctive animal behavior.  Ask any alpha male in any species that deals with occasional famine.)

Quote:
But now that women are just as expendable as men are, we can move away from the instinct and into a brave new world of gender equality. That will, of course, have an equal number of different problems than gender inequality, but why not give some women their freedom? The economic benefits are obvious.

Make sure not to equivocate.  My statements are biological.  Women are not just as expendable as men.  Even with six billion people, if you kill off half the women, you've got a real issue with maintaining birth rates (which is what genes are interested in, regardless of overpopulation).  Kill two thirds of the men in the world, and within a couple of generations, we'd be fine.

I'm not sure if it was this thread or not, but I mentioned somewhere that thinking of this in reverse illustrates the point well.  Suppose that we could somehow completely ignore our instincts, and began treating women as if they were just as expendable as men.  Run any evolution simulation you like.  Our population would plummet.  Again, my contention is that as a superorganism, we do not, and almost certainly cannot, escape our genetic programming.

In the end, Will, my position has nothing to do with freedom.  I think it's completely possible for people to understand the biology behind our emotional reactions and then act contrary to our emotional desires.  However, because of the sheer power of sexual selection in gene manipulation (I think it's close to half of our active genes that have something to do with our brain, and our brain is a sexual fitness indicator), I believe that it will always have to be an act of will over biology.  As such, I don't think the concept of complete gender equality will ever approach ubiquity.  This isn't to say I don't pay my female employees the same wage as the men, because I do.  But... and this is my point... almost all of the women I employ, if pressed, probably would have to admit that they like it when a guy makes them feel safe.  That's biology at work, my friend.

Books about atheism

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  But...

Hambydammit wrote:

But... and this is my point... almost all of the women I employ, if pressed, probably would have to admit that they like it when a guy makes them feel safe.  That's biology at work, my friend.

i do.

BrainFromArous
BrainFromArous's picture
User is offlineOffline
Warning! Old Skool RPG Joke

Chivalry should be accompanied by Sorcery.

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
chivalry

OK...you can rant all you want, but at least spell it correctly!