The Female Text-Communication Phenomena: Explanation?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Female Text-Communication Phenomena: Explanation?

It doesn't 'drive me bonkers' like it does some guys, but the whole near-obsessive attachment a lot of girls in my demograph have to text messaging really causes me to scratch my head. It seems like that note-writing / passing phenomena in high school.

Why do girls enjoy these forms of communication so much? In my experience, it's not because they don't like talking. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I admit, I'm pretty baffled

I admit, I'm pretty baffled by the text craze, and you're right... I know several girls who can text faster than they can talk.  It's amazing.

I like the texts myself, because it's often hard for me to answer the phone right when someone calls, and it gives me a few minutes to get back, but I restrict it pretty much to one or two words, and almost always business stuff.  It's a functional thing.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Why do

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Why do girls enjoy these forms of communication so much? In my experience, it's not because they don't like talking. Sticking out tongue

In my case, they are all writing about what a big stud I am. They are just to shy to come out and say it, so they communicate in secret.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Rev. Real
Rev. Real's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:It

Kevin R Brown wrote:

It doesn't 'drive me bonkers' like it does some guys, but the whole near-obsessive attachment a lot of girls in my demograph have to text messaging really causes me to scratch my head. It seems like that note-writing / passing phenomena in high school.

It's a way of playing the field.  You can multitask conversations via texting versus having a conversation on the telephone.  For a chic that gets a bunch of guys calling her, she can level the playing field by texting and not deal with having to make verbal excuses why some other guy is trying to hit her up. 

I hated texting until I got the Iphone.  It has a on screen keyboard and keeps logs of all your texts.  I still prefer talking on the phone tho. Smiling

-RR

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well here in SA

Well here in SA everyone,including myself , is addicted to texting due to something called Mxit,basically a IM for phones. Because it is virtually free and extremly addictive, it has become practically a life style among the youth. I won't lie, I spend 4-10 hours a day texting. Both sexes do it equally, and I'm unfamiliar with the whole 'female obsession.'

Kids just like texting?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only text people I don't

I only text people I don't want to talk to or when I literally can't talk.  *shrugs*

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: Why do

Kevin R Brown wrote:

But of course they found a way to say twice as much, they text WHILE talking!

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't text and I dislike

I don't text and I dislike talking on the phone.  Chatrooms and forums for me.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote:I only text

kellym78 wrote:

I only text people I don't want to talk to or when I literally can't talk.  *shrugs*

Just curious:

Were you ever part of the 'note passing' crowd in high school?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
No. I was too busy sleeping

No. I was too busy sleeping or skipping school to pass notes. Elementary school--maybe.

Jiggles Vibe
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Kevin R Brown

aiia wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

No doubt about that.

Texting on cell phones, as I'm aware of, is not cheap. I've heard accounts that some kids have run up extremely high bills on just that (some hundreds of dollars, can't remember where i heard that though).

"The longer you live the higher you fly,
the smiles you'll give and the tears you'll cry,
all you touch and all you see,
is all your life will ever be."
-Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon.

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote:No. I was too

kellym78 wrote:

No. I was too busy sleeping or skipping school to pass notes. Elementary school--maybe.

Heh, same.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jiggles Vibe wrote:aiia

Jiggles Vibe wrote:

aiia wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

No doubt about that.

Texting on cell phones, as I'm aware of, is not cheap. I've heard accounts that some kids have run up extremely high bills on just that (some hundreds of dollars, can't remember where i heard that though).

My brother's step daughter did just that.  I can't remember the exact figure.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get better plans

Unlimited texting plans are available from many carriers these days. I know back in the days it was something like 25 cents a text or something like that, but today, it's practically unlimited, with the righ plan of course.

joyfuldinosaur
User is offlineOffline
 you probably have a sample

you probably have a sample bias. quite a lot of young people are obsessed with texting, regardless of sex. I know my brother can't get off his texting phone, and he racks up such a phone bill from constantly texting his friends. Me... I purposefully "lose" my phone so I don't have to talk to people on it.