U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice!

entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
Posts: 233
Joined: 2007-05-04
User is offlineOffline
U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice!

U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice; Military apologizes!

 

Now that's the funniest thing I have ever heard (well, not the apology part). Now if they would only include a christian bible next time they have target practice...that would be even funnier.

 

 

 

DOH! Too late...somebody beat me to it!


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Quote:A tribal leader said

Quote:
A tribal leader said "the criminal act by U.S. forces"

Shooting books is illegal where?

Shooting a book= criminal

Killing people for allah=good

Quote:
I've come to this land to protect you, to support you -- not to harm you -- and the behavior of this soldier was nothing short of wrong and unacceptable."

Show someone whose life was tangibly affected by this act.

Quote:
God preserves his book

Not this time he didn't.

 

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
The only thing that pisses

The only thing that pisses me off about this story is they never mention how well the soldier did. I know US military snipers can be scary accurate, so lets show 'em off, k?

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
Posts: 233
Joined: 2007-05-04
User is offlineOffline
precision or accuracy?

OMG...you are right! EXCELLENT point!


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
they are good....but..

However US snipers are training with the Princes Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry battle Group, mainly for a few reasons, one, 4 canadians army teams have won the sniper competition in recent years at the fort benning sniping competition in Georgia. With that said, Canadian snipers have also had the highest long range kill count in Afghanistan, with some kills becoming new records, the longest kill at 2.4 kilometers (in military combat that is) at a driver of an enemy supply truck. Since the Shah-i-Kot Valley fight in which canuck soliders saved american solders from heavy fire from the enemy as soon as they entered the valley, the canadians snipers had the highest confirmed kills in that battle....and it was only 6 of them. Now the US send their top snipers to train with the Canucks. Hey we might be under manned, not have nearly the combat weapons or the armour.....or hell we don't even have the proper things for our military boys,  but when they go to fight, they fight well. Canada has never lost a war that it has been involved in....yet.


JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
Posts: 1758
Joined: 2008-01-13
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:However US

latincanuck wrote:

However US snipers are training with the Princes Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry battle Group, mainly for a few reasons, one, 4 canadians army teams have won the sniper competition in recent years at the fort benning sniping competition in Georgia. With that said, Canadian snipers have also had the highest long range kill count in Afghanistan, with some kills becoming new records, the longest kill at 2.4 kilometers (in military combat that is) at a driver of an enemy supply truck. Since the Shah-i-Kot Valley fight in which canuck soliders saved american solders from heavy fire from the enemy as soon as they entered the valley, the canadians snipers had the highest confirmed kills in that battle....and it was only 6 of them. Now the US send their top snipers to train with the Canucks. Hey we might be under manned, not have nearly the combat weapons or the armour.....or hell we don't even have the proper things for our military boys,  but when they go to fight, they fight well. Canada has never lost a war that it has been involved in....yet.

Yes, yes. All true, however: How many Qurans have they shot lately? Hm? Top that, eh! Sticking out tongue Smiling

 

 

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
ummm

We can't shoot the quran as it is a huge PC mess for our country and ummm yeah um it's a yeah a big  big problem for our guys to shoot the damn thing (you know how many 2-4's it would take to calm those mulism back here down) yeah.....so I think they will just stick to shooting enemy fighters Sticking out tongue Or empty beer cans, which ever they can find first.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
After these things happen, I

After these things happen, I love it when they ask 'Duh, why do Muslims hate us??'

 

 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:After these things

Quote:
After these things happen, I love it when they ask 'Duh, why do Muslims hate us??'

Just to recap:  My answer to the other thread, "Are Americans Becoming Assholes" was something like, "Have we ever been anything else?"

 

I think it's stupid and silly to get upset about people shooting a book.  I think Islam is stupid.  However, they have bombs and short tempers. 

Poking bears is also stupid.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Christians have short

Christians have short tempers too. But the reason they are not as bloody as Islam is that they have had 200 years of secular government keeping them at bay. They mistake the age of Enlightenment as being authored by Jesus.

But, it is typical of our "melting pot" society. Only a moron would actually think that a "Japanese Stake House" was authentic. Just like we bastardized Mexican food with Taco Bell.

Christian culture is good at one thing. The same thing Islamic culture is good at. They are both good at marketing. They are both lousy at introspection.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:They mistake the age

Quote:
They mistake the age of Enlightenment as being authored by Jesus.

Very good observation.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
Posts: 233
Joined: 2007-05-04
User is offlineOffline
Islam and literacy

I was trying to do a little research to find the statistics for literacy of Islamic people. It looks as though somewhere between 50 - 80 % of Muslims are illiterate.  Interesting dichotomy...


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was trying to do a

Quote:
I was trying to do a little research to find the statistics for literacy of Islamic people. It looks as though somewhere between 50 - 80 % of Muslims are illiterate.  Interesting dichotomy...

Out of curiosity, does anyone have some correlation data between literacy and war?  I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.  I'm just wondering if anyone's ever looked at the effect of literacy on peacefulness as a country.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I brought up this very issue

I brought up this very issue on a local message board hoping some would be able to reason, but  of course, when your beer goggles involve the cross all bets are off.

There is a simple reason this guy did what he did. It would be the same if someone had repeatedly raped his sister in front of him. PTSD!

Of course it wasn't because all Muslims hate him. It was because he saw terrible things and was venting.

However, people conflate this to him being wrongfully accused. And others claim it as a matter of free speech?

It is about free speech in the sense that, in a utopia, muslims would merely be offendeded without making threats.

BUT, this goes beyond religion and cuts to the core of who you would want to be doing ANY JOB in this mental state.

We have a person who fired a weapon without proper protocal or authorization, and did so in a moment of passion. If this were a police officer shooting an unarmed civilian because they were black we would be up in arms.

The problem was not that he desicrated a Koran. The problem is that his emotions override is ability to do his job. If he were merely writing a criticism of Isam, or making a cartoon like the Danish Cartoonist, that would be different.

He was lashing out at his environment. He was subject to things you and I hope to never see in our lifetime. What he does not understand is that placing a label to blame is easy compared to accepting that he was put in a horrible position in the first place.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


entomophila
ScientistSuperfan
Posts: 233
Joined: 2007-05-04
User is offlineOffline
testosterone

I read somewhere, many years ago, that there is a correlation between war and how many men under the age of 25 there are in a country (testosterone-related). I will have to find that. I think it was in a book...


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:I

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I was trying to do a little research to find the statistics for literacy of Islamic people. It looks as though somewhere between 50 - 80 % of Muslims are illiterate.  Interesting dichotomy...

Out of curiosity, does anyone have some correlation data between literacy and war?  I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.  I'm just wondering if anyone's ever looked at the effect of literacy on peacefulness as a country.

 

 

I don't have it handy, but at one point I had some figures related to this. They're foggy at best. Illiteracy as a causative agent in starting wars, unfortunately (IMHO), doesn't really have any evidence at this point. Both the Greeks and Romans were incredibly literate civilizations, and they were thrusting swords into people's faces day and night (Sparta, which was not built on literacy like Athens, was allegedly more aggressive - but that had far more to do with the overall philosophy of Spartan culture than their ability to read). The Germans also had high literacy rates, Israelis have high literacy rates, Russians during the end of the tsarist period had not half bad literacy rates...

Japan is the hallmark example in my mind. Go check the stats. The literacy rates throughout that nation's history have been enormously high - and it's been an absolute hotbed for warfare regardless.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
entomophila wrote:U.S.

entomophila wrote:

U.S. soldier uses Quran for target practice; Military apologizes!

 

Now that's the funniest thing I have ever heard (well, not the apology part). Now if they would only include a christian bible next time they have target practice...that would be even funnier.

 

 

 

DOH! Too late...somebody beat me to it!

Yeah, it's hilarious--except for the fact that it fuels insurgency and subsequently costs more foreign and domestic lives. 

Other than that, it's a bona fide hoot. 


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
i just noticed its the

i just noticed its the english version o_O


Boon Docks
Posts: 415
Joined: 2007-03-04
User is offlineOffline
Quran/Koran

What is the correct spelling of this?  I wouldn't speak ill of any soldier over there until I spent time in his/her shoes.  Do these service members even have any rights while they are abroad?


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
Boon Docks wrote:What is the

Boon Docks wrote:

What is the correct spelling of this?  I wouldn't speak ill of any soldier over there until I spent time in his/her shoes.  Do these service members even have any rights while they are abroad?

 

Speaking from similair experience... Nope

What Would Kharn Do?


Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
Posts: 904
Joined: 2008-04-02
User is offlineOffline
Quote: From the article -

Quote:

 

From the article - statement of "shooter":

My actions were shortsighted, very reckless and irresponsible, but in my heart [the actions] were not malicious

 

 

Should US snipers be admitting shortsightedness?

 

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:i just

The Doomed Soul wrote:

i just noticed its the english version o_O

The pictures of a bible btw.As Ent said in the first post.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
Posts: 837
Joined: 2007-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Quote: From

Nordmann wrote:

Quote:

 

From the article - statement of "shooter":

My actions were shortsighted, very reckless and irresponsible, but in my heart [the actions] were not malicious

 

 

Should US snipers be admitting shortsightedness?

 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:What is the correct

Quote:
What is the correct spelling of this?

Quran, Koran, Alcoran, and Al-Quran are all acceptable spellings.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was trying to do a

Quote:
I was trying to do a little research to find the statistics for literacy of Islamic people. It looks as though somewhere between 50 - 80 % of Muslims are illiterate.  Interesting dichotomy...

 

While never one to pass a chance to knock  religion I think you will find literacy rates are hardly that high in Western armies.

 

In the British army 50% of recruits at 18 have a reading age of <12

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6418683.stm

and I someone doubt that is any different in the American army/Canadian/Australian armies etc .

 

While of course officers are generally at least of average intelligence, people who take up arms  voluntarily (conscription is obviously different) are generally not in the highest ranks of human IQ.

The go to war and get killed /have your legs blown of etc. tends to put a lot of people off

 

Probably wishing I had spell /grammar checked this better but I'm not claiming to be Shakespeare either Smiling


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3641
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:However US

latincanuck wrote:

However US snipers are training with the Princes Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry battle Group, mainly for a few reasons, one, 4 canadians army teams have won the sniper competition in recent years at the fort benning sniping competition in Georgia. With that said, Canadian snipers have also had the highest long range kill count in Afghanistan, with some kills becoming new records, the longest kill at 2.4 kilometers (in military combat that is) at a driver of an enemy supply truck. Since the Shah-i-Kot Valley fight in which canuck soliders saved american solders from heavy fire from the enemy as soon as they entered the valley, the canadians snipers had the highest confirmed kills in that battle....and it was only 6 of them. Now the US send their top snipers to train with the Canucks. Hey we might be under manned, not have nearly the combat weapons or the armour.....or hell we don't even have the proper things for our military boys,  but when they go to fight, they fight well. Canada has never lost a war that it has been involved in....yet.

 

A 2.4 kilometer shot is a looooong way for a normal thirty caliber ( NATO .308 ) sniper rifle.  Do you know any particulars about what specific weapon was used and more importantly, what cartridge it fired ?  Most thirty caliber rifle projectiles will have lost enough of their original velocity to seriously effect the probability of hitting a small, man-sized target at such a great distance.  Maybe a fifty caliber anti -material rifle ?

ps, congrats to the Canadian snipers for performing so well.

 

 

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.